Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 1[ 17 posts ]

The Ace Attorney anime dub is surprisingly faithfulTopic%20Title

Call me James

I'm sure plenty of people had doubts about how the dub wouldn't really have the "magic" of the localisation, or how the dub would be more or less a straight translation of the original Japanese, with the English names.

Just want to say that's actually not the case. While I haven't received the DVD just yet (pre-ordered it, but crossing the Atlantic will take a while, of course), my curiosity got the better of me when I saw a related video on Youtube that was actually an episode of the dub. And it was the final trial day of Turnabout Sisters, where Redd White takes the stand. I was mainly wondering how they decided to translate his speech, so I only really listened to his lines for the brief moment I chose to have a sneak peek.

From what I saw of Redd White's dialogue, it's clear that they're at least trying to make it as faithful to the games as possible. For example, Redd White introduces himself as "El Presidente", calls himself "white boy" in Spanish, refers to the Judge as "Mr. Your Honor", and also has the exact same nonsensical English that he uses, such as when he mentions that he was "perusifying" some papers by the window (and some new ones, if you enjoyed that aspect of him in 1-2) :bling-bling:

Obviously, this is only one character, but I think it's proof enough that Funimation has very likely done their homework and have nailed the characters as they are shown in the games.
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"
Re: The Ace Attorney anime dub is surprisingly faithfulTopic%20Title

Surf's Up!

Yet, the anime doesn't include 1-5 and 2-1 for some reason. So it's not all that faithful to the series it is based on.

This thread is talking about the dub, not the anime in general. Also 1-5 is standalone enough that it's counted as a separate entry from AA1 I'm official sources, so it doesn't really matter much in terms of faithfulness.
Signature loading, please wait...

Happy Maria

Also, 2-1 does nothing for the series at all except to just introduce Maggey and be a cookie cutter tutorial case, so it was definitely a good idea not to include that in the anime.

Happy Maria

Actually watching the dub now, yeah, they did a pretty serviceable job. A lot of characters have fitting voices which match their personality. Pity they didn't do 1-5, would have fit well. Maya's and the judge's were a bit off putting to me, but I got used to them eventually. Weirdest parts are Gumshoe (he never even says pal!) and occasionally Edgeworth and Phoenix call each other by their first names, which is super weird, makes me feel like I'm watching a fanfiction. Other than that though I enjoyed watching it (other than the last half of episode twelve, skipped that because of how bad it was) and I'm interested to see the JFA voices. Moe better get a good voice.

still didn't fix the bad animation but I can live with that

The Real Human Being

>Ema is never introduced
Why won't people believe me when I tell them Maya is best waifu?

Happy Maria

Nah, Sal Manella is waaay hotter.

Literally. I mean, have you seen how much he sweats? Guy needs a towel.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

My soul is dead.
Maya just said "ramen". My world has collapsed.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Call me James

Southern Corn wrote:
Weirdest parts are Gumshoe (he never even says pal!)

I think he does, actually. It's just not as prevalent as the games, which makes it stick out a bit. I can remember him saying it, though. In his introduction scene, for certain. When he examines the receipt, he comments to Phoenix "Ring any bells, pal?".

JFA is gonna be something, though. They're certainly having fun with it, at least. The ADR director pretty much confirmed on Twitter that he gave Chris Sabat probably the most minor role of Money the monkey just for the DBZ reference it creates.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

It's decent. But as it kept running I thought characters like Edgeworth and Maya's voices started to wear off.

But overall, it's even more watchable for me now. Redd White was also pretty darn good from how I always expected him to sound. A little different but it works so well and they kept his weird quirk of mixing together words. Only localization-thing I am disappointed with is Maya asking for "ramen".
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Happy Maria

Well, it still does take place in Japan for some reason but the names have been fittingly changed to their American counterparts. The photo of Cindy with the Statue of Liberty in episode 1 is, well, pretty hard to edit, honestly.

Call me James

Southern Corn wrote:
Well, it still does take place in Japan for some reason but the names have been fittingly changed to their American counterparts. The photo of Cindy with the Statue of Liberty in episode 1 is, well, pretty hard to edit, honestly.

From what I've heard, dubbing studios aren't even allowed to edit the visuals in anime unless it's for censorship (and even then, they don't seem to actually tamper with the original footage anymore, just pixelate/skip the frames that have stuff not suitable for a television broadcast). Actually redrawing stuff is time-consuming and apparently not even part of the contract that allows them to alter the audio for dubbing purposes.

The ADR director said that this was one of the reasons why the series had to stay set in Japan. Because even after considering going the full-mile with the localisation (AKA we're in California, trust us! :butzthumbs: ), they can't edit documents that have Japanese text and images that go against the dialogue being said by the characters.

Quote:
From what I've heard, dubbing studios aren't even allowed to edit the visuals in anime unless it's for censorship

So the era of replacing onigiri with sandwiches has ended?

Happy Maria

I wouldn't say AA is really 4kids, so no :p

(I refuse to apologise for that pun.)

Nerd Processor

I'd just like to know when the DVD will be out over here in the UK. It seems to have got stuck in limbo like a load of other Funimation titles.

At least I can still re-watch the sub on Crunchyroll.
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

http://astrogirl500.deviantart.com/

Hello,i'm so happy when the season 2 arrives! I wants too see Adrian Andrews and Luke Amtey! :godot: :godot: :godot: :godot:
I support Adrian Andrews x Luke Atmey

Southern Corn wrote:
Also, 2-1 does nothing for the series at all except to just introduce Maggey and be a cookie cutter tutorial case, so it was definitely a good idea not to include that in the anime.
They actually just delayed it. It's the first case of season 2.
Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo