Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

Episode five discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is the discussion thread for DGS episode five, "The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story"! Please use spoiler tags when discussing any plot points of the episode that haven't been officially announced. This is particularly important for this thread given we know nothing about this case but the title.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode five discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

Beat the game! :D

Some spoiler-tagged pictures of this case (beware):
Spoiler: Funny part
Susato and Iris teaching you how crossed eye stereogram works. :gant:

Spoiler: Wait, what?
A Mario and Luigi reference?

Spoiler: Case 2
That Russian from the newspaper. :o

If spoiler-tagged pictures aren't allowed, please delete it. :phoenix:

Oh right, this was a thing.

Spoiler: First 3 witnesses
MARIO, LUIGI, AND LUIGI

Spoiler: Cute Iris and Susato
ImageImageImage

Spoiler: Stereoscope cheating

D'awww
~UltrawaveStudios~

1000% Knight

And to think I thought Heart Vortex would be the most ridiculous name in this game.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

元・超会社員級の管理人

I finished.

I, uh, I'm gonna need a while to process this.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Art Person

I just saw the stream of the final part. I've missed a lot of what happened beforehand, but I have to say the ending really made it seem like a sequel was bound.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Wagahai confirmed OP. I love the animals in these games.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I am saddled with unnecessary feelings.

Tremendous game I have to honestly admit, didn't get this much of a rush since ... well ... Bridge to Turnabout if I were to be honest, the storyline itself lined perfectly despite the gameplay being a bit odd here and there.

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

Well, I think we can all agree that this trial had the most shenanigans going on.

Spoiler:
Cross-examining a parrot doesn't seem too big of a deal compared to almost jeopardizing national relations between Great Britain and Japan. And that's not even getting into the actual illegal things that are going on in and out of that trial. The closest thing I can think of is Turnabout for Tomorrow's trial in the courtroom ruins.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"Turns out I'm kind of a dick."

Beautiful flower

CourtroomShenanigans wrote:
Well, I think we can all agree that this trial had the most shenanigans going on.

Spoiler:
Cross-examining a parrot doesn't seem too big of a deal compared to almost jeopardizing national relations between Great Britain and Japan. And that's not even getting into the actual illegal things that are going on in and out of that trial. The closest thing I can think of is Turnabout for Tomorrow's trial in the courtroom ruins.

Spoiler:
The final case reminds me of AAI, but better. It doesn't help that proving the villain's guilt is as difficult and tedious as taking down Alba.

And I agree, almost everyone in this case did something illegal, mostly they tampered with the crime scene. His past notwithstanding, no wonder Barok was so distrusting towards Ryuu, and Sherlock (when he refused to accept the luminol tests as evidence).

@ CE53: Isn't that kind of a spoiler? It's probably better to tag it...
I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

If Bolt still looks through here, how was the final testimony? How difficult was it on a scale from 1-1 to The Dissing of Phoenix Wright?
~UltrawaveStudios~

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Was the Dissing of Phoenix Wright that hard? :/ I got through it no problems. It was the Mood Matrix segment before it that was annoying... but still not hard, just circular.

I'm obviously not Bolt, but at least I've played the game. I appreciate the comparisons between Alba and Crogley (who I prefer to call Mr. Blackgrey), though to be honest, I never felt that annoyed trying to take either of them down. In any case, the last testimony was pretty simple if a bit long.
Spoiler:
The point was to get Gregson to confess about those musical discs. All we needed to do was point out the second musical disc had been on Gregson's person. It took me a while to figure out that the disc was with him all that time, but as soon as I realized where he had hidden it, it was smooth sailing.

Of course the answer to the testimony segment itself (before all the presentations) was handed to you directly. It wouldn't make sense that you'd get it wrong unless you purposely tried to get it wrong.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Was the Dissing of Phoenix Wright that hard? :/ I got through it no problems. It was the Mood Matrix segment before it that was annoying... but still not hard, just circular.

I just heard from multiple people that it was a very, very hard testimony. If you can even call it that.
~UltrawaveStudios~

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

"The Dissing of Phoenix Wright" is vague and hard to parse rather than hard in a good way.

There is only one truth!

>“This means that even before you showed yourself, you were already here at the shop. Most likely, you saw Gina enter the shop, and followed after her. After that, the shopkeeper jotted down the password in his memo as usual. 'PROFESSOR’… You took a furtive glance at it.” (Courtesy airisuwatoson.tumblr.com)

Megundahl brought in the coat, so the password should be his choice right? "Professor" That's ... kind of suspicious.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Spoiler:
It's refreshing to see a final case that doesn't have to make itself the biggest most important and epic thing ever, but somehow this doesn't really feel like a final case for me and I can't exactly put my fingers on why. Maybe if it'd had been more of a conclusion of the game as a whole instead of wrapping up the case and then throwing out even more sequel hooks/unfinished mysteries than we already had throughout the rest of the game. Maybe I got some off impression of what I'd heard/misinterpreted because I kind of found myself expecting more from it somehow.

The case itself runs rather smooth and it's not the most memorable out there (especially not, as said, for a final case) but I'm not really mad at it either. Gina is a good defendant that even got some nice character development and I liked her dynamic with Ryuu and the other main characters.
The story progresses kind of on its own apart from the case itself, perhaps that's why investigation/court segments feel slightly imbalanced in terms of pace and plot progression and how the mystery unfolds but that is more of how the entire game works and not just this case, although it might have been the most apparent here. It felt a bit random how they said bye to Susato and she left and then she got held up and they said bye again, if they wanted an excuse to have Iris as the co-counsel instead surely they could have made up something else. On the topic of Iris, she was fun having around.

The invention stuff like blood colours changing chemicals and catdoor makers were a bit hard for me to swallow but not to the point where it ruined my immersion. Same with the ever so convenient Japanese morse code knowledge and Iris remembering the sequence and being able to check it against morse code languages that quickly and without fail.

The cross-examinations were nice. I loved the thing with the robber brothers and how they kept trying to get Gregson to play along as their third brother. Also that they eventually (re-)teamed up with Egg Benedict Crogray during the ending credits (and how did it take me until then to notice that his turning pose is almost the same as the one they do). As a (final case) villain Crogray doesn't have a lot of presence (but honestly for some reason I lowkey thought he was a red herring so maybe I think of it as much as I could have) but I thought he was rather interesting, and while not being a "sympathetic villain" or anything like that he felt human and like someone you could kind of understand.

The end-end credits were amazing, especially how some people walking (and stopping...) to some music can evoke so much emotion.

Last but not least, the Russian revolutionary. I absolutely love how he was brought up in case two as a dangerous man that you kinda sorta expect to meet or have some relevancy, but all that happens is that someone kinda sorta looks like him but turns out to be a fifteen year old girl in disguise and then he actually appears as a juror and... nothing comes from it, he's just a juror and he's really funny.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Going for Miles wrote:
Spoiler:
It's refreshing to see a final case that doesn't have to make itself the biggest most important and epic thing ever, but somehow this doesn't really feel like a final case for me and I can't exactly put my fingers on why. Maybe if it'd had been more of a conclusion of the game as a whole instead of wrapping up the case and then throwing out even more sequel hooks/unfinished mysteries than we already had throughout the rest of the game. Maybe I got some off impression of what I'd heard/misinterpreted because I kind of found myself expecting more from it somehow.

The case itself runs rather smooth and it's not the most memorable out there (especially not, as said, for a final case) but I'm not really mad at it either. Gina is a good defendant that even got some nice character development and I liked her dynamic with Ryuu and the other main characters.
The story progresses kind of on its own apart from the case itself, perhaps that's why investigation/court segments feel slightly imbalanced in terms of pace and plot progression and how the mystery unfolds but that is more of how the entire game works and not just this case, although it might have been the most apparent here. It felt a bit random how they said bye to Susato and she left and then she got held up and they said bye again, if they wanted an excuse to have Iris as the co-counsel instead surely they could have made up something else. On the topic of Iris, she was fun having around.

The invention stuff like blood colours changing chemicals and catdoor makers were a bit hard for me to swallow but not to the point where it ruined my immersion. Same with the ever so convenient Japanese morse code knowledge and Iris remembering the sequence and being able to check it against morse code languages that quickly and without fail.

The cross-examinations were nice. I loved the thing with the robber brothers and how they kept trying to get Gregson to play along as their third brother. Also that they eventually (re-)teamed up with Egg Benedict Crogray during the ending credits (and how did it take me until then to notice that his turning pose is almost the same as the one they do). As a (final case) villain Crogray doesn't have a lot of presence (but honestly for some reason I lowkey thought he was a red herring so maybe I think of it as much as I could have) but I thought he was rather interesting, and while not being a "sympathetic villain" or anything like that he felt human and like someone you could kind of understand.

The end-end credits were amazing, especially how some people walking (and stopping...) to some music can evoke so much emotion.

Last but not least, the Russian revolutionary. I absolutely love how he was brought up in case two as a dangerous man that you kinda sorta expect to meet or have some relevancy, but all that happens is that someone kinda sorta looks like him but turns out to be a fifteen year old girl in disguise and then he actually appears as a juror and... nothing comes from it, he's just a juror and he's really funny.

Wow, you finished this game fast XD

Spoiler:
I personally like this case fine, though I do think it has its disappointing moments, which is why it's my second least favourite finale. One of those is the cliffhangers, which is very oddly placed. The original trilogy didn't feel the need to do that, despite not even meaning to be one. I really do like the moral stakes of this case for the characters though- Susato forging evidence to catch the culprit, Ryuu accepting Megundal killed a guy and he acquitted him, Gregson concealing evidence for the culprit…it's super interesting for sure. I also think this case should've had at least another day, the final trial felt dragged out due to that.

And yes, the Russian Revolutionary is the best brick joke ever. I love the gag they pulled with him.

Overall, I remember really liking this game but I think it's really short and feels incomplete till you get to DGS2. I'd say it's better than JfA, DD and AAI but worse than SoJ, which had me thrilled from start to finish.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Haha yeah, I kinda burned through it. xD And now onwards to DGS2...

Spoiler:
Quote:
I personally like this case fine, though I do think it has its disappointing moments, which is why it's my second least favourite finale.

Mm, it's a fine case but they could have done a bit more with it I think. Not like forcing stakes/drama or something just... something. x)

Quote:
The original trilogy didn't feel the need to do that, despite not even meaning to be one.

Yeah, they feel like a united whole but every game can also stand on its own. This one can't. As someone else said somewhere, it feels more like DGS: part one, than DGS1.

Quote:
I really do like the moral stakes of this case for the characters though- Susato forging evidence to catch the culprit, Ryuu accepting Megundal killed a guy and he acquitted him, Gregson concealing evidence for the culprit…it's super interesting for sure.

Yeah those are good. I liked when Gregson shook that robber guy and nothing really came from it until later when it was revealed he had planted the evidence on his person.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street