Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 8[ 290 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Phoenix Wright Calculator Case Maker (Officially Dead)Topic%20Title

Ace Animator

Thank's for the support everyone, but, i'm in college now and am much more preoccupied with that and other non-programming hobbies. Anyone is free to take my code and work and continue this project, but I highly doubt it will receive any further support/development from me.

Download this case maker for the Ti 83 and Ti 84 calculators

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0HLT8QIZ

Read the instructions before using it!
You can also use this program to make/play calculator phoenix wright games on your computer.

Changelog:
Code:
[u][b]Alpha 2[/b][/u]
- implemented autoformatting of text, putting a word on a new line if it doesn't fit on the current line, as well as justifying it to the left of the screen. If a very large word is being displayed, no attempts to autoformat it will be made, it will simply print out
-Bugs:
-slower than expected, most likely due to programming which needs cleaning up, or the fact that it's jumping around to labels and programs a lot.
-special action modifiers may or may not work, some glitch is causing this to happen, and will hopefully be remedied soon.

[u][b]Alpha 1[/b][/u] - original release

POST ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR REQUESTS ON THIS THREAD

Screenshots:

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjYTnU2dnrA
(old) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1cAJQl ... annel_page

Currently Working on:
-sprites
-Implemention of Xlib
-Various cleaning up the glitches/speeding up the program
-cross-examination engine

Programming Key (also available in program)
E values:
1=Phoenix Wright
2=Edgeworth
3=Judge
4=Angry judge
5=Surprised Judge
6=Larry Butz
7=Gumshoe

G values (due to unresolved glitches, these values may not work correctly with this build, don't worry though, they'll work in the next release hopefully):
0=regular, pauses normally, and has no Objection
1=Objection after text spoken
2=Objection, without an ending pause (skips to the next part of the script)
3=regular, but no end pause
4=no pauses whatsoever
5=Objection with no pauses whatsoever

Archive:

first sprite: http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... 1226342124
first Objection sprite: http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... 1229222214
first attempt at edgeworth sprite: http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... 1231016007
the original version of the judge: http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... 1231186751
Talk test demo: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0MW8FDY (you need talk test program and pics 5-9 on your calculator)
Release Alpha 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TEDDIY3A

Last edited by meleemaster500 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 am, edited 33 times in total.
Re: Phoenix Wright for the TI83/84Topic%20Title

Wait - Phoeenix Wright for a calculator? How would that work? And how would it be distributed?

Deception&&contradiction

MrCheeze wrote:
Wait - Phoeenix Wright for a calculator? How would that work? And how would it be distributed?

There's already loads of games out for the TI-83 online from tetris to pokemon..the TI-83 is like a gameboy and has directional keys and stuff..and if he goes for the Gyakuten Saiban GBA approach I can see it as a game for the TI-83/84 as well

The Graphics would'nt be the same and downplayed..but i can see ppl pickin it up from the TI-games community..and it's good to spread the word..

PS-Keep the court record tho' and good luck

Ace Animator

Actually, it's possible to make the entire game through this engine i'm makin. when i'm done the basics of the programming and sprite making, then i'm planning on making an app similar to objection.mrdictionary.net . you will select a location, character, and the text they will say, and it will give a demo of them.

the way the phoenix wright engine will be made is as follows

5 variables:
1. The script, or the current position in the story/text
2. the character
3. the location
4. Court Record items
5. correct/incorrect variable

1 string:
1. Current Text

how it's programmed:
1. Drawing Location (depends on the location variable. Draws out the background)
(special action)
2. Drawing Character (depends on the character variable. will draw the character's sprite, which of course is not very perfect sprite)
(special action)
3. Writing Text (auto formats the script to write the text to fit in a box at the bottom of the screen)
(special action)
4. Pause (allow of court record viewing/press enter to continue text/or make a decision, as in cross examination or court choices)
5. Change Script, Character, and or location (script moves ahead by one, all the other variables change accordingly)
goto 1

that is how the game will generally work. the (special action) areas are the parts that has occational changes from the usual flow of dialog. this happens pretty frequently in phoenix wright, the most common of which is when characters say objection. those special actions run when the script variable is correct.

the sprites, will not look perfect. i could try grayscale for some of the parts, but that requires blinking a pixel on and off to give the illusion of gray. also, it will take a bit for the animation of the character sprites, as well as making them talk in sequence to the text, at the same time. i mean, is the animation for the characters blinking that important?

but that's how it's gunna work. right now i'm drawing more sprites for reference.

Awesome idea! I think that blinking is not important at all for this setting, even talking animation might not be that important. I think it's pretty hard to animate a full screen sized sprite in TI-Basic, but maybe if you just change the pixels in the mouth it could work.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

Ace Animator

i'm trying to figure everything out, if i can't find someway to load a full screen sprite instantaneously, then I would have to:

1. make the sprites stored as pictures, which show up instantaneously
2. I might have to cut down on the number of sprites needed, as in phoenix wright would only have one background, the defense court side, i could still put more pictures, but i'd have to warn those downloading that this could replace some of their existing pictures. although i think there is a way to have more than 9 pictures, and hopefully I can use this to load many sprites.

and yeah, since i most definitely can't swap pictures to give the illusion of movement that standard phoenix wright gifs accomplish, i will have to animate things like the mouth individually.

Meh, you don't really need to animate at all, really.

I'm still curious, how DO you distribute TI83/4 games?

Otaku, #1 Machi fan, #2 Machi Fan

MrCheeze wrote:
Meh, you don't really need to animate at all, really.

I'm still curious, how DO you distribute TI83/4 games?

These. :adrian:
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOGANT

Ace Animator

you download them from anywhere you can upload files.

then you put them on your calculator via the connector cord that comes with the calculator.

Ace Animator

I'm probably gunna finish up the objection sprite, and perhaps edgeworth. and then after that, i'll work on the autoformatting for the text.

Oh, didn't realise they had a cord. And now is when I stop cluttering this thread.

Deception&&contradiction

MrCheeze wrote:
Oh, didn't realise they had a cord. And now is when I stop cluttering this thread.

It's a simple USB one...anyway, I don't think you really need backgrounds for court..except for the judge..it looks good as it is and it's just a calculator..best to use processing power for other stuff..and how'd the save game system work?

I have the calc..just never dl'd games..does pokemon have the ability to save?..it should right? :eh?:

Ace Animator

i'm thinking the background will be built into the character sprites for right now. it's always better to have the background there then not at all.

saving the game is simply recording what the value the script variable is located at, then loading requires nothing but the variable's interpretation at the beginning of the game. this variable need to be saved in some other place in the calculator's memory, such as one of the strings or lists, but once one of those get deleted, then your place is gone. that being said, it would only take a second to change that variable to change the place you are in the story.

i'm thinking i might take advantage of the calculator's ability to save more than 9 pictures. since really pictures are the only way to show something instantaneously, i'd have to use them.

talking will be done by simply erasing the mouth pixels. there are so few of them, it really won't look like much has happened to them. then i'll re-load the previous image so that those pixels are there again. put that in a cycle, and you have a talking animation.

But with only two colours, wouldn't it be hard to tell between bg and person?

Ace Animator

anything's possible with clever decisions!, i should be able to stylize the background so its un-imposing on the character sprite.

and i think i got the talking animation working. i'll need to build a quick program to test my theory...

Deception&&contradiction

meleemaster500 wrote:
anything's possible with clever decisions!, i should be able to stylize the background so its un-imposing on the character sprite.

and i think i got the talking animation working. i'll need to build a quick program to test my theory...

Wow..you really do know your stuff :udgy:

If anyone can make those clever decisions, it's you

Ganbatte!^^ :edgy:

Ace Animator

The talking animation looks fantastic, i just need to work on how his closed mouth will look like, in fact, the transition is so quick that i might even be able to draw what his mouth should actually look like by turning on pixels, while erasing them. i'll see.

and i really ought to finish the objection sprite so you guys can see.to tell you the truth, only the upper left corner of it is done, about almost 1/4 of it

What's that in your avatar then?

Ace Animator

by "What's that in your avatar then?" i assume that is in response to finishing up the objection sprite comment.

the objection sprite is this: Image

not the phoenix objecting sprite: Image

both of which "technically" are not finished, cause the background's not done for phoenix.

i still didn't really work yet on the objection sprite.

i tweaked the current phoenix sprite so that his finger is at a tad more of an angle, his chin is angled, so that it doesn't look weird when his mouth is closed (and so that his head looks more tilted) and i kinda squared up his jaw bone a bit. I think i'll redo the hair and his hand sometime as well...

IC (I see :P)

I have a new TI-84. Now I can justify spending ove $100 for it! Can't wait!
ImageImage

Ace Animator

I was working on the auto format for the text, of which i plan for there to be 2 lines printed of text at a time.

I have 2 (3) choices on how to do it

1. Clear an area at the bottom of the sprite in a box shape for text. this means that the attorney desk will not be visible, nor any of the background at the bottom. should I choose this option, i realized that phoenix's sprite is a bit too low for the text, and and that would give me 3 more choices. either cut off the sprite and however many lines go missing, which is quite noticeable, stylize the sprite so that is kinda looks like he's a bit compressed, not a good idea, or finally, move his sprite upward as to not interfere with the text, but keep him looking the same.

the benefit of clearing this area is a perfectly clean area of writing the text, and being able to read all of it perfectly.

2. The writing of the text itself actually clears the area around each character, making it readable when you write even in a completely blacked out section. this option would keep the background and write over the preexisting sprite. however, this option does not clear the characters necessarily the easiest way to read.

the main benefit of this method is keeping the background while writing out all the character.

which option should i work towards? clean or background?

Clean, moving Phoenix up. Definately.

Ace Animator

that option puts phoenix's head very close to the top, and allows at least some of the desk to be seen

I think it would be better if the text box was instead of the desk, actually.

Ace Animator

UPDATE

2nd version of the phoenix sprite, moved up 3 pixels, with some demo text

Translator/Music Creator

I agree with Mr Cheeze, I don't think you should put the desk... That would be too confusing...
.:: Roy Razor ::.
Never ask a question if you don't already know the answer... - Godot

Just...leave me alone, alright?

Wow, I'm gonna keep up with this--good luck, this sounds so interesting! Nice programming by the way!

. : ~ Gyakuten Saiban Appellate Project ~ : .
For the best PW/GS remixes!
Updated May 10th 2009

. - : ~ Keep The Rock Alive! Donate!! ~ : - .

Perfect.

Ace Animator

just to let you all know, the text was written by a command, and therefore aids in the writing of the lines greatly. i cannot, however, change the text style.

Translator/Music Creator

It doesn't really matter ^^ That looks great !!

I PM-ed you, answer me and tell me if you need some help ! ^^

Here's what I can do :
games/offering-help-translator-musics-and-beta-tests-t12708.html

Hope you'll keep on ! If you need any case writers, I'm still here !

Tell me if you need me by PM or by email at royrazor@hotmail.fr

See ya !
:godot:

Ace Animator

I wasn't really planning on other languages, but once i get the game engine done, I'll put the code on the computer and tell everyone how to edit the story, and make anything happen by changing a few things in a txt program.

Translator/Music Creator

Alright man, good luck then ^^

Do you need case writers ?

This is more a Case Maker than a game, I think.

Ace Animator

it's the engine, so i'll at least build it up to a demo. it won't be completely user friendly, like no built interface, but it's easy to interpret and change the story, so yeah it's kinda like like a case maker program.

so if you want a script made, you can write one and put it in later, if you wanted.

AIGE/PWLib Casemaker Developer

It's the best way to make the engine, since you aren't locked up to a hardcoded case.

Looks like a good thing.

Good luck with the project.
PWLib 1.2 Under Development

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

Ace Animator

The auto text is coming along rather nicely, i already built a program to type in whatever you want phoenix to say, and he will, it is completely un-timed, so i guess i have to check out some videos to see how fast phoenix talks and how many words/syllables/letters he generally speaks per mouth opening, this is probably one of the real life examples of a good use of Apollo justice's gotcha habit powers....

and the objection sprite is still unfinished...

I'd say

hmm, black-white spriting...i'm intrigued.

Wait, why is there a blank space at the right of the text? Fix plz.

Ace Animator

it can't be fixed, the edges on the right and bottom are, for some reason, utterly blank and unreachable, by txt or even pixels. i could try and clean it up by a little bar at the bottom so it looks more like a text block.

and my auto text does not format for words yet, so words are moved to the next page screen and continued via characters, i think i could fix it, but id have to check the string to find the spaces and use some sort of algorithm to help format words to stay in the same screen.

it currently autowrites character by character, at a rate of one letter/character per mouth openning, which of course i'll fix. it also ends each screen of text with a > arrow
Page 1 of 8 [ 290 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games