Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence

Page 1 of 1[ 3 posts ]

Turnabout MoustacheTopic%20Title

A couple of days ago, I realized that I was in dire need of an incredibly stupid image editing project. Having realized that, I set out to shave every Ace Attorney character with facial hair.

The full results can be seen in this album--which, of course, contains spoilers for every game in the series, at least the parts of it that contained facial hair. I'll also post some highlights in quotes below, sorted by category and mentioning the cases in which the characters appear.

Without further ado...

Spoiler: Biggest Shave (AAI-5, AAI2-5 and 1-2)
ImageImage

It's a toss-up between Blaise and Quercus. For both of them I initially went "ugh this is going to be such a huge pain", but while it was kinda time-consuming it was still relatively straightforward, since their outfits aren't super elaborate under there and it was mostly just a question of continuing their existing colors. Particularly pleased with Blaise's weird chin situation.

Honorable mention:

Grossberg, who just completely loses his identity without that thing.

Spoiler: Worst Shave (AAI2-3, 4-4, 1-1 and GAA-1)
Image Image

The only instance I could find of Dane Gustavia's full-body art was kind of blurry in the upload, so any attempt to overlay color just wound up looking really out of place. For Magnifi...I think I should've just defined the lines on his clothes more clearly to make it distinct from the neck, but as it is, it's kind of also a blurry mess.

Honorable mentions:

Image Image

The judges, of course, with their abundant beard situations, were pretty tough. I struggled with His Honor, but think I overdid the chin which just made it a blotchy mess. Judge Jigoku never came out looking right, and any situation where I have to draw a full new neck from scratch is a bad situation.

Spoiler: Dumbest Shave That Still Makes Me Laugh (2-3, AAI-4 and 2-4)
ImageImage

Both belonging to dead men with limited portrait situations, of course. No wonder you grew that thing, Russell. Lookin' good, Deid Mann.

Honorable mention:

I feel like removing his moustache makes Shelly DeKiller less of a stoically ominous presence and more of a nice young man. What a cheery fella.

Spoiler: Most Unnecessary Shave (4-3 and 4-1)

oh my god why did I shave Old Valant, Young Valant is almost exactly the same sprite

Honorable Mention:

ImageImage

"Yeah, of course I've got to shave Shadi Smith and Zak separately, it's not like they're literally the same person"

Spoiler: Least Change From Smallest Shave (1-5 and AAI-4)

"Why, it's Detective Bruce Goodman! I almost didn't recognize you now that your chin's three pixels thinner!"

Honorable mention:

Hey, it's Mack Rell! Everyone...everyone's favorite character!

Spoiler: Biggest Change From Smallest Shave (GAA1-4 and GAA2-1)

The man himself, who kicked off this entire project. At some point after I'd just started on GAA2 I thought it'd be fun to shave Soseki's concept art for a dumb gag. After initially going "Ugh, it's probably going to take some image editing work and not look that good", I started and...it took basically 10 seconds and looked fine right away. Personally, I feel like the removal of the moustache takes him from "intense but harmless" to "actively unhinged dark-alley presence". He just needs some blood on those knuckles to complete the image.

But the thing that really spurred me to do the same for the entire cast was...

Doing the same for his GAA2 concept art and being taken aback at how much of a glow-up it was, morphing him from "eccentric, well-off fellow" to "brooding bishounen". No wonder Sholmes tells him "if there was any justice in the world, you'd shave off that moustache"--he can tell what society's missing out on.

Honorable mentions:
None. In this category, Soseki stands alone.

I hope you enjoyed these shaves. I guess the next logical step would be adding beards to everyone who doesn't have them, but that'd be a lot more work, and in any case, I think I've been beaten to the punch on that one.
Re: Turnabout MoustacheTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

Incredible work OP. These are the edits we needed (and also deserved). The first few ones are especially, uh... something else, to say the least.
Re: Turnabout MoustacheTopic%20Title

[salutes] Happy to provide.
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence