Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 1 of 1[ 2 posts ]

OCs in AA FanfictionsTopic%20Title

Back in it, hopefully for the better

So, I'm pretty interested in fanfiction, especially as of late from this web serial called Worm by Wildbow (about superpowered people, who get their powers through a specific trauma of some kind). In that fandom, OCs aren't as esteemed, and people prefer to work with canon characters with varying situations such as AUs, the main character having a different power, etc. It's been many years since I've read Ace Attorney fic, wanted to throw my hat in the ring and ask, as a general discussion: what are the upsides and downsides of using OCs in an Ace Attorney universe versus canon characters?
Re: OCs in AA FanfictionsTopic%20Title

There's always a choice

It definitely has to do with a lot of things but the most important and overly used one is the over characterization. Without any sort of balance, sometimes authors make or mention too many good things about their that they become perfect. With canon characters, you already have an idea on what type of people they are. With OC(s), you know nothing. Just that they're a new character the author made up.

By no means do I hate OC(s). In good hands, they make awesome characters such as Lyn from The Fated Turnabout. However, in bad hands, the author will have to rely on dialogue instead of subtle exposition to tell you what type or person they are.

I don't really know if I should be posting this or not due to the fact that its been a long time since the last response. If I'm right, please tel me so.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony