Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 4 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

Ah thank you! >< I can see everything you say is off. I thought that the arms looked a bit rigid and held out from the body, but I wasn't sure how to position them so I left it. xD The pose I knew was difficult, but I wanted to try something a bit different from what I usually do - normally I'll do something face on and it'll look quite boring and 2D. As you said though, we'll talk in emails. I'm sure you'll be an amazing teacher! Thanks again for the pointers.

Oh, and which emails will we be using? xD I have the hotmail and a yahoo one. ^^;

Waiting on Godot...

Which ever you wish :) PM me it and I'll see if I can email you tomorrow :)
ImageImageImageImage

操纵距离程度的能力

Arkillian wrote:
Pose- I think for a beginner artist, you've chosen a REALLY difficult pose to do.
I can not agree more...sometimes even the real photos of this pose look weird.

Hi Arkilian, can I give my own opinions on some of the arts here?
You can call me whatever you want:3

Waiting on Godot...

Komachi wrote:
Arkillian wrote:
Pose- I think for a beginner artist, you've chosen a REALLY difficult pose to do.
I can not agree more...sometimes even the real photos of this pose look weird.

Hi Arkilian, can I give my own opinions on some of the arts here?

Go for it. That's what the thread is about :) I haven't had anyone offering to help me- It's a bit much to handle if I get a few at once. Specially the really manga styled art. I'm not as good at criting them.
ImageImageImageImage

c:

Ugh...I finished my drawing, but it's all pencil, and since my scanner is crap the lighter parts aren't showing up. I'm not really sure what I can do... :c

Waiting on Godot...

Franziska's Whip wrote:
Ugh...I finished my drawing, but it's all pencil, and since my scanner is crap the lighter parts aren't showing up. I'm not really sure what I can do... :c

What- it's a full pencil render? those scan badly anyways. You have a program like Photoshop? You could bump up the levels on it. Otherwise, if it's just linearts, I'd suggest inking it, or making your lines darker. Then try it :)
ImageImageImageImage

Bam! Wait. That's a fish?!

Arkillian wrote:
Franziska's Whip wrote:

What- it's a full pencil render? those scan badly anyways. You have a program like Photoshop? You could bump up the levels on it. Otherwise, if it's just linearts, I'd suggest inking it, or making your lines darker. Then try it :)

I had the exact same problem as you, so I just upped the resolution on the scanner, and scanned it in. Making your lines darker also helps. Maybe I should make a fanart thread when I actually bother to finish scanning...
[Signature in construction until I make a new one]
I'm back, mate! Still lurking like a ninja but whatevs :3

Waiting on Godot...

This is a point. I remember scanning stuff at 100dpi- everything came out grainy. If you scan it at 300dpi or higher, then you can shrink it after you've poked it with photoshop and it looks nice and smooth. Gets rid of the over and under rendering too.
ImageImageImageImage

c:

Well, I darkened it a bit and edited it in Photoshop. I just got Photoshop and I'm not exactly the most...er...technologically advanced person, so it still doesn't look amazing, but it's visible. I'll probably (finally!) post it here tomorrow. Thanks to both of you for your help!

Um, Arkillian? I was just wondering, but what are vectors?

Waiting on Godot...

Dawn wrote:
Um, Arkillian? I was just wondering, but what are vectors?

Vectors are formulas essentially. A vector, is the result of a process, where you have a start point, an angle, an end point, and an angle from that. The idea is, since it's a formula telling what's happening with the piece of art, the information displayed is perfect no matter how much you stretch it, or shrink it because it isn't rendered (If you render something, you are simplifying it to a picture of pixels- like if you put text onto your art how it's nice and smooth till it's rendered, then if you stretch it and shrink it, it gets all pixelated. This happens because there isn't enough information for the program to make it bigger and know what the line is doing). Because the program reworks out the shape of the line by a formula, and not by making pixels bigger or smaller, it has tones of information so it can jiggery pockery without losing what the shape looks like.

Essentially, Vectors were created for things like corporate logos and icons, where you make the logo, and it prints perfectly small or large. It has alot of other applications too, but the concept stays the same. I use vectors alot for my comic pages so that I only need to have one speech bubble template to do my whole comic in. I can also join the bubbles simply, cleanly, and it looks ALOT nicer than doing it by hand.

Spoiler: Example

I hope that explains it.
ImageImageImageImage

c:

*takes a deep breath* Okay, here I go...x3 It's still kind of light in some parts so tell me if you need me to edit it some more.

Spoiler: Saving Space

Here's the reference picture I used for it. I'd like as much criticism you can give me, except on her choker, I decided to make it plain because it looked a bit too complicated, plus it was kind of hard to see what it was. I think my biggest mistake was choosing this picture in the first place, it's pretty crazy D:

Waiting on Godot...

Franziska's Whip wrote:
*takes a deep breath* Okay, here I go...x3 It's still kind of light in some parts so tell me if you need me to edit it some more.

Spoiler: Saving Space

Here's the reference picture I used for it. I'd like as much criticism you can give me, except on her choker, I decided to make it plain because it looked a bit too complicated, plus it was kind of hard to see what it was. I think my biggest mistake was choosing this picture in the first place, it's pretty crazy D:

Well, I'm glad you gave me a reference cause that made my job SO much easier ^^ <3

Firstly- that's not an easy picture to go off O.o The hair ALONE is complex and I can imagine it'd be REALLY hard to do! (It looks cool though. Wonder if it's a girl or a guy though O.o Can't tell...)

So without further ado- I'll get started :) Before I start thoguh,I think you've made a very good attempt at a difficult picture. It doesn't look like much, but there's alot of difficult things in it. If you try a picture like this again, I suggest you make it greyscale firt before you draw it so that the colour hues don't confuse you. Brightness value can SEEM brighter with a colour, but if you're only working in grey scale, then why make it difficult for yourself, right? You'll start to see brightness values after time, but for now, it's simpler this way.

• Your eyes are a good 50% larger than the original eye shape. Don't worry too much unless you are going for accuracy. All this means is that your eyes are larger in proportion to the face than they should be IRL. This is a normal thing for peopel that are use to Eastern styled art trying out realism for the first time, or for the first 20 times. IF you want to train out of it, I have ways. If you like it big eyed, then don't worry as long as it's in proportion.
  • The biggest problem area is the nose. In Eastern and western styled art, the nose always sits in the middle of the eyes. Yours is quite firmly pushed to the left which makes the right (from the viewer's POV) eye look like it's too far out. The right eye looks correctly spaced to me for realism proportions though, so the nose most be out. This will put the mouth also with it to the right.
  • The mouth... how do I put it... The mouth has lip liner on it sure, but the lip liner starts off dark, and then gradually goes to the dark middle colour of the red. It may just be the scan, but the make-up needs to have more punch.

Hrmmm- alot of other thoughts I have may be wrong considering the value loss in your scan. If you want, I can try again. If you do a full greyscale scan or your picture at a high res (300dpi or 600dpi as I scan everything) and email it to me without manipulating it, I'll try to see if there is anything more I can pick up on. The hair is difficult to tell with cause it's so high contrast.

Also, are you going photo accurate here? Or just an impression of it? For example:-

Spoiler: Picture I drew

This is mean to be a picture of Uma Thurman as shown here but cause I was going for style and not speed, I made alot of mistakes which took away the person, but I kept the pose and the feeling behind it which was what I wanted. If I wanted photo accurate, I would've sat down for 20 hours drawing the same pic rather than 2 hours. Is this what you want? Cause I'm critiquing based on this.
ImageImageImageImage

c:

It's a girl. x3

Thank you for the criticism, it's very helpful! I was going for accuracy, yes, and the eyes did bother me a bit, so it would be nice to train out of it if you could help me with that. I'm pretty sure I still have the unedited scan which I did at 300dpi, but it's VERY large if you want me to resize it before I send it, or I could send it the way it is.

Dora Feddy: Southern Fried Prosecutor

Oh hello, I just finished cruising through this thread and figured I would get my art grilled. Hopefully I can get some tips on my problem spots and get them fixed....

Anyways, if you have time, here's the pic: http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu32 ... dMiles.jpg

I mostly just started out sketching it in pencil, then added shading and darkened the lines in pen, and finally went over it with my (crappy) colored pencils. I used the sprite sheets of the characters as a reference. *sigh* I just couldnt get Miles' face right, though. It just seems to change its shape so much on the sprite sheets.

Waiting on Godot...

Yeah, Miles' face does change a bit with the different angles in the sprite sheets. It's specially noticeable cause of his long slender face. The best thing to do if you want an angle of his face and can't draw it cause you don't have it is to look for an actor with a similar face shape and search for art on them. For instance (someone will shoot me for this I'm sure) but I figure that Eminem looks close to how I envision Miles

Spoiler: Totally looks like...
Image Image

.. so if I need to be realistic, or relearn a tough angle, that's what I do. I wouldn't go off the sprites. They take ALOT of rules for granted and break others in half >.> They look great, but yeah...

Anyways, the sprites are only referance- what you're needing is building blocks, so I'll give you a few 'rules' for drawing a human head (These can be broken in ALOT of ways of course)

• The eyes are equal in height to eachother. when you draw them in, draw a line, and both sit on it. That is a given for all style except abstract.
  • The eye line goes half way between the top of the head an the chin. This isn't given, but accurate proportions have it like this. I lengthen my noses so I dont' follow this rule well.
  • The nose on average is the same length as the width of the eye or 2/5 of the length of the lower half of the face . Lol. Sound complicated? Good. Don't get too worried about it cause noses can be any length and look right. Look is elegant, short is cute. Knotches make them look older and more weathered, or alternatively characterised, while smooth noses are elegant and bishonen. No always something you want to go for, but I believe Edgeworth is a bishie :)
  • Incidentally, keeping the nose measurement in mind is usefull, cause the ear is as tall as the nose, and is in line with the top and bottom of the nose, but on the side of the head. This is why glasses sit straight :) Sorta. Anyone with glasses knows that'one ear is higher than the other' though >.>
  • Ear line starts at the end of the jaw. The jaw line may not proceed the ear, but it is behind it. A line isn't drawn there cause the ear is sorta flush with the jaw bone. The ear doesn't come before the jaw line however :)

I think you've done well though. If I forget that the face is in the top half of theri heads, you nose and mouth and chin proportions are really good. That I assume is tripping you cause it's right but it looks wrong, right? ^^; I find that two things help here for self diagnosis. I do this on my own art :D

1. Isolate what you are looking at to specific parts, like the eye, or the nose, or the mouth. Then zoom out to the pair of eyes, or the nose in relation to the eyes, or the mouth in relation to the nose, then zoom out again, and again till you've looked at the whole thing. This technique is REALLY handy to spot a mistake that is confused by alot of correct things around it. In saying all of this, if you haven't layed out your picture as a sketch and you find when you look at the picture as a whole and it's wrong, then you've missed a VERY important step in the art making process- lay out.
  2. Flip the image horizontally (digital) or hold it up to the light and look at it's reverse side (traditional- if your media is transparent). An unbalanced picture will look even MORE unbalance when flipped. If it looks right both ways, then you're set. This is good for spotting if you've made a face lopsided or not. IT's only usefull though if there's only a few things wrong with the pic. Otherwise it looks too abstract >.>
  3. Go away and come back. You may just be beating yourself up for nothing. Some mistakes are more apparent with a clear mind ^^

PS- Miles looks pretty pleased with himself XD Being able to breathe must be just what his humour needed XD
ImageImageImageImage

Dora Feddy: Southern Fried Prosecutor

Hmmm.... *nodds* Yeah, I think I see what you mean now. Eyes kinda just make me go fffffffffffff when I get to them, but they are pretty fun to draw. Im sure that any of my drawing's lopsidedness comes from either me being left-handed or the way I draw...

Anyways, thank you so much for your time. I dont have that many chances to get an honest and helpful critique from someone.

Waiting on Godot...

Dora Feddy wrote:
Hmmm.... *nodds* Yeah, I think I see what you mean now. Eyes kinda just make me go fffffffffffff when I get to them, but they are pretty fun to draw. Im sure that any of my drawing's lopsidedness comes from either me being left-handed or the way I draw...

Anyways, thank you so much for your time. I dont have that many chances to get an honest and helpful critique from someone.

It's not to do with being left handed. The left side of the brain plays silly buggers with your right- the creative side trying to make sense of things. that's what's screwing it up. Sadly, there's not many ways of fixing it besides practising right, using a base sketch so that you KNOW which way is gravity, and where everything sits before you render it, and basic proportions. Flipping works cause it confuses the left side of the brain into shutting off for a moment cause it doesn't get what it's looking at and it's very loud at it.

It's a problem I use to have. All my pics were on a tilt 2 or 3 degrees to the right. I draw on a slant, that's why. You can never tell till your done if you don't do construction lines. ALL construction is important. Background too. Below is an example of a sketch (Which is just before rendering stage so it's a bit advanced in the process sadly ^^; They don't look pretty all scrapy), versus the nearly final (It's a collab- one of my friends in Finland is finishing it).

Spoiler: Example of sketch

This one has a line of symmetry in the middle for composition. You don't need it, by that same line can represent gravity for you and help balance your characters :)

Any time though! ^^ Feel free to come back for more :)
ImageImageImageImage

G'morning Arkillian, could you tell me how I am going wrong with this piece of art? I think trucys face is the main problem.
Spoiler:

Sig.

DefenceLawyer wrote:
G'morning Arkillian, could you tell me how I am going wrong with this piece of art? I think trucys face is the main problem.
Spoiler:

Hope you don't mind, but I'll like to offer up a bit of my opinion. One thing that strikes me as odd is that you used the profile pic of Manifi for his character, and someone's pic on the character in the lower right corner. And Phoenix feels a little too rigid to me, and both he and Apollo are slanting weirdly. Also, for Trucy and possibly Maya, I think you used part of their official art to draw them (meaning the eyes and the mouth). Eh, to me, it looks like a mix of official art, in-game art, hand-drawn art. I guess these are the problems I see with it.

Dawn wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:
Spoiler:

Hope you don't mind, but I'll like to offer up a bit of my opinion. One thing that strikes me as odd is that you used the profile pic of Manifi for his character, and someone's pic on the character in the lower right corner. And Phoenix feels a little too rigid to me, and both he and Apollo are slanting weirdly. Also, for Trucy and possibly Maya, I think you used part of their official art to draw them (meaning the eyes and the mouth). Eh, to me, it looks like a mix of official art, in-game art, hand-drawn art. I guess these are the problems I see with it.

yes, I drawn it, then scanned it, then used magnifi's face as a template... as you can see, it's still in progress.
Sig.

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Dawn wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:
Spoiler:

yes, I drawn it, then scanned it, then used magnifi's face as a template... as you can see, it's still in progress.

Just adding my two cents but your lines are a bit wobbly like X said. Use the pen and brush tools :)

Waiting on Godot...

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Spoiler:

Before I start- I'm gonna point out a few things, so please don't be discouraged. Giving it a go is the best place to start and get better on. Don't try to be a professional on your first picture- just do your best. K? :)

OK... I think the others have spotted a few cosmetic things about the poster which are very valid points. Eyes may be a challenge to do, but even if they look bad, they're altleast the same style of art, so they look like they should be there, so they wont look so obvious. I think most of the points about that has been brought up by now. Basically, it's better to do it all from scratch- not tracing or copying directly than to cut and paste other people's art. That way it all looks like one piece of art. That, and it's good practise :)

There's alot more things collectively doing stuff in the picture though which isn't just how they're drawn.It'd be wrong to disregard them if I were to give you useful critique.

Composition- This on I think is the BIGGEST thing that needs improvement here. Composition is how a picture is layed out. I can see what you're trying to do with the picture, but sadly, doing the type of composition that you're trying requires some complex composition layout rules. I'll use some official art as examples:-

Spoiler: An Apollo Justice poster

If you notice in this poster it has a focal point- Apollo, cause he's the main character, then Trucy his side kick, then Klavier the prosecutor, Ema next, then Phoenix, and lastly Kristoph. This ordering works, because sharp and warm coloured objects get noticed first, and cold blurry objects last. Apollo has the most saturated bright reds, Trucy's colours have been knocked back a little, Klavier is behind both and his colours are also knocked back. They're all foreground. Ema, Phoenix then Kristoph go from pale warm colours to light pale blues like they're fading off into the distance. their lineart gets paler and softer, and there's less contrast. The separation between each of the characters in the picture is why this many people work. All of them command a different level of attention from the viewer. The background is bright and has low detail too, so it doesn't draw the eye. The last thing is, all the characters are balanced down the middle of the page. Apollo and Klavier are pointing in opposite directions, Phoenix and Kristoph facing different directions, Ema's arm counters the visual weight of the bracelet, and Apollo and Trucy are centred. The Apollo Justice logo is also at the bottom, and doesn't cover any important information.

... I hope you see where I'm going with this ^^; Essentially, because the picture hasn't got any balance, you notice the other flaws about the picture very obviously. If the composition of the picture was perfect, you wouldn't notice the cut and paste eyes. Honestly. Peopel underestimate the power of a well composed picture!

You'll notice that CAPCOM follow the same rules in this picture, except they've made Godot just as dominant, if not more dominant than Phoenix to make him look more menacing and scary.

Spoiler: Trials and tribulations promo poster

Now, I'm not sure what to say... Doing a poster like this is REALLY advance for poses, composition, colour and everything. What I think you should do, is knuckle down on your basic anatomy so you can draw this all yourself without the need for official art even if you think it looks crap, cause if you can get the composition right, any comments you get on how the faces look is nit picking, cause they'll like the picture anyways. I guaranty it. Style... Although it's important to keep the eye, it's not what draws it. You picture should look good shrunk as it does full size.

I hope this was a help :( Sorry, I didn't want to say all of that in your thread- it wasn't the place to say it :( Try googling Composition tutorial and see what you come up with. They're likely to all be photography ones cause all comic styled how to books ignore composition cause it's a subject in it's own right, but even photography ones will help with layout. Rule of thirds is a great one to know, Symmetry, repetition, and dynamics are powerful dynamics that I fight to achieve with my art. IF you can master them, then you're doing better than me :)
ImageImageImageImage

Lang Zi says: I Love Shi-Long Lang

Hello, can you please help me on my fail drawing on fail ema.

Spoiler: Fail

Thank you.
ImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

MissEdgeworth wrote:
Hello, can you please help me on my fail drawing on fail ema.

Spoiler: Fail

Thank you.

Umm... I'm not sure how I can help you. I think you need to learn the basics of facial structure. You do have some fundamental bits of the picture, but I feel that you still need to visit the basics. I'm not sure which online tutorials are the best cause I haven't found one I liked, but essentially they all provide similar information about how to divide up the face. Once you've practised that a bit, then you can venture off into the wilderness of experimentation- I'll be able to help you more then :) Unfortunately, There's not alot I can suggest in this picture as it only shows a head which is a simple lineart.

Cedarseed on Deviantart does a basic tutorial based in the book I learnt to draw from. the book that this tutorial is from is an EXCELLENT book, and I pledge my ability to draw souly to it and persistence. The book is Drawing the head and figure, by Jack Hamm. The book was written originally in the 1960s, so try not to let the art style daunt you. All of the measurements can be translated to other art styles including manga- and btw, even manga artists need to know realistic proportions- so they know how to break them.

The rest for now is up to you. I wish I could give you an easy answer- sorry ^^; Feel free to come back if you need more help when you've practised the basics a little bit and are able to venture onto more complex art, like a bust shot or more :) If more is happening in the picture, then I'll have more that I can comment on than just lineart

Side note- Please don't call your art fail art. We all start off somewhere. My art pre reading drawing the head and figure was similar to yours (except less manga cause manga wasn't around when dinosaurs walked the earth in NZ), but if it helps, this has been my art progression since I was 7- The first 3 drawings were before I learnt basic proportion. I drew ALOT and fast back then, so it didn't look bad, but as soon as I learnt proportions, my art quality kicked up. I'm thinking yours will have a much better kick than mine, and I look forward to seeing the progress :) But just in case it makes you feel better about where you are now, this is where I came from:-

Spoiler: My art since I was 7

So um... yeah. Your art will never be a failure if you put your full effort into it. I promise :) So please don't call it that. You WILL improve over time- as hard as that seems to believe right now :)
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

Wow; I had no idea you're giving art advice! I'll consult you when I've got something up. :)
.: Click on the pictures for links! :.

ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
Wow; I had no idea you're giving art advice! I'll consult you when I've got something up. :)

I always give art advice :) I figured that having a thread dedicated to it just made it better known. I want to try and help out artists where I can :)
ImageImageImageImage

Hi Arkillian. Can you crit my drawing for me? It's just a hawk, so I'll appreciate if you could give me some tips.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/994/sundaymarch212010.png

And those lines are what's on the other side. It's or it was a long short story for one of my classes.

Waiting on Godot...

Dawn wrote:
Hi Arkillian. Can you crit my drawing for me? It's just a hawk, so I'll appreciate if you could give me some tips.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/994/sundaymarch212010.png

And those lines are what's on the other side. It's or it was a long short story for one of my classes.

XD Those lines look like a well placed watermark XD I wondered what they were ^^; Sadly, them being there is a HUGE distraction to the piece of art. Try not to use paper with a design of sorts on the back next time- k? Crit besides that is very difficult thoguh. What were you trying for? A doodle? A fleshed out sketch (Which is meant to turn into something more eventually)? Or something fully rendered? I think if it was meant to be a doodle, it's a very nice one. It has the basic story, layouts and stuff. There's not alot I could say after that.

IF it's meant to be a sketch or a final however, I'd want to see the original if can. I'm not very good with birds, so it'll give me a better idea what I'm looking at *nods* Just like to clarify, cause all art should serve it's purpose when it's done. IF it was meant to be simple then simple it should be, but if it's meant to be complex, then it needs detail. That's how I see it. Not all art is meant to be finished.
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

Spoiler: I was experimenting with my drawing style and came up with this:

What else seems off, aside from the chin?

ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

I think his chin is fine- some men just have a weaker chin. His neck down is shifted to the left though. If you can imagine... where the spine connects to the skull is in the middle of the bottom of the head, but you seem to he it in the jaw. It'd be in that position if his head was erect. Also, I think his fringe pops away from his head a bit much. It off balances him alot. It'd be better if the rest of the hair bounced as much but it doesn't. I think it's mostly balance in this picture. I hope that helps :)
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

Arkillian wrote:
I think his chin is fine- some men just have a weaker chin. His neck down is shifted to the left though. If you can imagine... where the spine connects to the skull is in the middle of the bottom of the head, but you seem to he it in the jaw. It'd be in that position if his head was erect. Also, I think his fringe pops away from his head a bit much. It off balances him alot. It'd be better if the rest of the hair bounced as much but it doesn't. I think it's mostly balance in this picture. I hope that helps :)

O.O

IT'S.
A.
GIRL.

XDD

Have you seen long hair that was tied low and loosely to the point where it tends to spread? That's what's happening here. Kinda like this: http://www.cosmogirl.com/cm/cosmogirl/i ... 40x312.jpg The fringe, I can't blame you for thinking that way of (I have a thing for bangs that pop out from the head since that's practically the case with me IRL XD)

Well, that's experimenting for you. I guess you thought it's a man since the shape of the face needs to be smaller and finer. XDD

ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
Arkillian wrote:

O.O

IT'S.
A.
GIRL.

XDD

Have you seen long hair that was tied low and loosely to the point where it tends to spread? That's what's happening here. Kinda like this: http://www.cosmogirl.com/cm/cosmogirl/i ... 40x312.jpg The fringe, I can't blame you for thinking that way of (I have a thing for bangs that pop out from the head since that's practically the case with me IRL XD)

Well, that's experimenting for you. I guess you thought it's a man since the shape of the face needs to be smaller and finer. XDD

Uh- sorry ^^; I thought she was a bishounen. You didn't specify a gender in the picture and I just assumed since your other art tends to be men ^^; Well, if you want to make her more feminine, I suggest shortening, and simplifying the nose cause right now it looks too heavy. I think that's the biggest thing that hinted bishounen to me. The lips also- if you gave her a separate line for her top lip to show two partitions of equal thickness then that'd help too (Breasts make a difference too). Oh... and finishing off the shoulders. The shoulders look VERY broad in this cause they keep going. If they tapered off a little first before they ended then that'd give a feminine quality. The eyes to a certain point can convey feminism too- eyelashes, or rounder eyes. She has a masculine shape to them.

I... I'm not going to apologise for thinking that though, cause even now that I know that it's a she, she still looks like a he to me and the gender wasn't specified so it wasn't really fair on me ^^; I stand by everything else I've said too. The bulging of the hair at the back wasn't my concern. The fringe was my main point- that's a balance thing. Maybe the fringe actually does that, but it looks too far out still. Sometimes artistic liscence needs to be used to balance things. That's up to you though.

In the end though, You can take my advice or leave it if you want :/ You asked for my advice, and based off what I was given I gave my answer. If next time you could write a bit about the picture so I know what I'm looking at then it'd be much appreciated.
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

Arkillian wrote:
Uh- sorry ^^; I thought she was a bishounen. You didn't specify a gender in the picture and I just assumed since your other art tends to be men ^^; Well, if you want to make her more feminine, I suggest shortening, and simplifying the nose cause right now it looks too heavy. I think that's the biggest thing that hinted bishounen to me. The lips also- if you gave her a separate line for her top lip to show two partitions of equal thickness then that'd help too (Breasts make a difference too). Oh... and finishing off the shoulders. The shoulders look VERY broad in this cause they keep going. If they tapered off a little first before they ended then that'd give a feminine quality. The eyes to a certain point can convey feminism too- eyelashes, or rounder eyes. She has a masculine shape to them.

I... I'm not going to apologise for thinking that though, cause even now that I know that it's a she, she still looks like a he to me and the gender wasn't specified so it wasn't really fair on me ^^; I stand by everything else I've said too. The bulging of the hair at the back wasn't my concern. The fringe was my main point- that's a balance thing. Maybe the fringe actually does that, but it looks too far out still. Sometimes artistic liscence needs to be used to balance things. That's up to you though.

In the end though, You can take my advice or leave it if you want :/ You asked for my advice, and based off what I was given I gave my answer. If next time you could write a bit about the picture so I know what I'm looking at then it'd be much appreciated.

Hmm... yes; I just realized my noses need a lot of work. XDD Lips--I never draw outlines but I guess I should make them smaller and fuller. The shoulders look broad, too, since I never defined them and just had the hair trace the shape. Masculine eyes--they probably look that way since they're rather narrow?

It's all good, Arkillian! I wasn't offended at all; don't worry! I believe that's exactly why I barely gave any details, so you'd see it for what it is and tell me. The people I normally hang out with are artists of their own but they're only starting. I decided to ask you since you've had more experience than any of us. It's also great to get a fresh perspective on things. At least I now know I don't have to worry about bishies too much. XDD

Thanks again! I hope you don't mind if I ask for critiques in the future. And expect no details. XDD

P.S. I draw more women, actually. A lot of them are traps, though. ;P (Guess which one is in my sig! XDD)

ImageImageImageImage

Holy whack! Unlyrical lyrics Andre

Hey Arki, 'tis me again.

Spoiler: Yes, thats Larry

I think his head is a bit too small, but wadda you think?
Image Image

Waiting on Godot...

H4RDMEISTER wrote:
Hey Arki, 'tis me again.

Do you want critique or a comment? O.o I think his head is a good size if you're asking, but I'll need to know more about the picture if I'm gonna comment further. Is this an alt. timeline Larry where he's more serious and tough looking? Or should he be his normal happy self? It's just he looks pretty serious / angry. Eye brows would help a little too :)
ImageImageImageImage

H4RDMEISTER wrote:
Hey Arki, 'tis me again.

In my subconscious, it refuses to believe that it's Larry. I kind of think it looks a lot more like Phoenix, than it does Larry.

Holy whack! Unlyrical lyrics Andre

Arkillian wrote:
H4RDMEISTER wrote:
Hey Arki, 'tis me again.

Do you want critique or a comment? O.o I think his head is a good size if you're asking, but I'll need to know more about the picture if I'm gonna comment further. Is this an alt. timeline Larry where he's more serious and tough looking? Or should he be his normal happy self? It's just he looks pretty serious / angry. Eye brows would help a little too :)

It's meant to be a rebellious Larry, but the more I look at it, the less it looks like Larry. I will have a go at changing the expressions, see what I can get. (I don't really know how to show how someone is feeling through their eyes)

If you could would you tell me how I could make it better. I don't want it to be a masterpeice, just another good piece of art. Thanks Arki! :edgy:

Waiting on Godot...

H4RDMEISTER wrote:
Arkillian wrote:
H4RDMEISTER wrote:
Hey Arki, 'tis me again.

It's meant to be a rebellious Larry, but the more I look at it, the less it looks like Larry. I will have a go at changing the expressions, see what I can get. (I don't really know how to show how someone is feeling through their eyes)

If you could would you tell me how I could make it better. I don't want it to be a masterpeice, just another good piece of art. Thanks Arki! :edgy:

Hrmmm... Well, for one thing, the ting about Larry is his facial expression cause he's so over the top... to make him rebellious and still Larry, I think you'd need to make him doofy somehow, cause to make him cool, you're actually rewriting his character quite a bit cause of what Larry is. He's an air brain, women loving idiot that constantly gets between a rock and a hard place. To keep the same feel, I'd dress him up as Bad badger, or in an outfit inspired by the character (and also have it on the outfit) with a 'Larry don't wanna' expression. Otherwise, he could double as anyone.

Oh- you forgot his goatee too ^^; That's probably why he looks so much like Phoenix. Donno- lighting effects and angle changes could be used to give him a more sinister look while still keeping the Larry in him, but that's how I see it. I think colour would help it out alot though :) Right now, he's colourless and could be anyone.
ImageImageImageImage

fighting spirit

Hi there. Thanks lots for creating this thread ^^
And now onto the subject: would you mind to take a look at this, and tell me what do you think?
Thanks again :)
Page 4 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart