Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

OC Contest Entry: Yana ThimbleTopic%20Title

Hello, thank you for taking a look! I'm very thankful for the extented dealine of the contest because I wouldn't have been able to make it without it. Apologies in advance for any grammatical errors that might come up, English is not my native language.

Entrant’s name: Karen
Entrant’s webiste: http://www.iovest.tumblr.com

Character’s Name: Yana Thimble

Brief Physical Description:
Yana Thimble is a relatively tall middle aged woman with dark brown hair which she always keeps knotted behind her head so that no strands of hair could ever bother her while sewing. She has come to find it practical to wear her sewing tools on her at all times and as such integrated them into her attire in a somewhat fashionable way: her dark green cardigan is held together by a pair of sissors, she wears a measurement tape around her neck and – most noticeably – turned her needle pillow into a hat to wear. Including the cardigan she has made all of her clothes herself; the dark grey fingerless gloves, the white neatly butonned up blouse she wears under her cardigan as well as the long greyish-brown skirt with the zigzag pattern that goes nearly down to her ankles.
Only her brown boots and dark yellow glasses were a purchase.

Brief Personality description:
Yana is a workaholic with a never fading stern look on her face who lives for her crafts. She is diligent and a perfectionist and there have been too many instances where she would begin a dress from scratch simply because of a small mistake. Regular costumers value this rigid precision though always expecting the best from her and her business.
Even though she is a very strict teacher her apprentices greatly look up to her attentively watching her needlework. While she is not particularily open about it she still adores her apprentices and expects a lot from them in the future even considering to hand the business over to one of them in the future.

She enjoys attending textile fairs to look for the finest fabrics and sewing tools. Almost all of her activities are related to her work and as a result her private & social life are unfortunately severely lacking. She only has few friends and met most of them through her work anyway.

People regularily wonder from where she takes the energy to work so much. Her answer is always the same factual one, 3 healthy meals a day and several cups of Earl Gray tea with precisely 3 cubes of sugar.

Connection to canon characters: Initially appears as a witness in one of Ryuunosuke Narohodo’s cases but is later found out to have been the culprit all along.

Brief Background:
As the daughter of a well known dressmaker, Yana has learned the needlework from a young age and quickly showed to have inherited the skill and fine precision of her mother. It was soon quite clear that she would later inherit her mother’s business and became determined to work even harder to continue the shop with the same (or even more) excellence. Still, taking over a business proved to be a handful at first and even years later she is still sour over her slow start as a business owner. With diligence and hard work she could eventually make a name for herself though, having many regular costumers and even two young apprentices eager to learn from her.

However Yana’s shop has started to struggle as of late due to the industrial revolution bringing forth the rise of ready-made clothing. The cheaper manufactured clothes have become a crushing rival for dressmakers and Yana has already had to watch many closing down their shops due to the descreasing number of costumers. Some either leave the business entirely or go to work in the factories themselves.
Despite feeling her business crumble, Yana vehementily believes that she can remain independent and tries to go on with business as usual.
Things then take a dramatic turn when one of the largest factory owners approaches her to for hiring, saying that her skills could be put to great use to make a path for the future of manufactures. The proposal itself is already an insult to her (and her work she takes so much pride in) but the outrageous payment really forces her to not lash out at the insolent man.
It is not until the man smugly mentions her business’ struggle and how the independent tailoring has no future that she finally looses her calm and begins strangling him (with the very measuring tape she wears around her neck) in a desperate and obviously futile attempt to safe her business.
To cover up her crime, she manipulates the scene to pin the murder on one of the factory workers, correctly guessing that the poor salary and working conditions would serve as a good motive for the murder.

When found out after Ryuunosuke’s thorough search through the witnesses’ backgrounds she only regrets that she was ultimately unable to safe her business from failing and even remarks on the cruel irony that she herself was the one to bring it down in the end.

Spoiler: Character Sheet, large image

Spoiler: Expressions, long image
Notes:
-she is idly sewing during her testimony
-her "damaged" expression is a result from pricking herself with the needle
-during her "breakdown" she tears the cloth apart
Re: OC Contest Entry: Yana ThimbleTopic%20Title

Whoa! Your character seems COOL! Ooh, good luck in the contest. Best of luck, fellow contestant.

I love how expressive your character is! There's a lot of good motion in this. Good luck in the contest--I'm a competitor as well!

tofuplusbeast wrote:
I love how expressive your character is! There's a lot of good motion in this. Good luck in the contest--I'm a competitor as well!

alphawave wrote:
Whoa! Your character seems COOL! Ooh, good luck in the contest. Best of luck, fellow contestant. Report this post

Thank you so much, i'm very happy to hear that!! I wish you two the best of luck in the contest as well :)

Art Person

This character's so creative! I can picture her in both the PLvsAA/DGS style as well as the main games!

What's crack-a-lackin', homie?

I love how you incorporated sewing tools into her design and how her expressions look! I'm a contestant too, but I didn't make a thread... Probably should have. Good luck in the contest!
Apologize to the funyarinpa!

SuperAj3 wrote:
This character's so creative! I can picture her in both the PLvsAA/DGS style as well as the main games!

reidiantdawn wrote:
I love how you incorporated sewing tools into her design and how her expressions look! I'm a contestant too, but I didn't make a thread... Probably should have. Good luck in the contest!

this is a bit late but thanks so much to both of you!! Expressions are one of my fav things to draw so I'm glad to hear that you like them.

I kinda scouted the fanart thread a bit before posting my entry to see how other people do it, that's where i got it from haha. Good luck to you, too :^)

Red string of fate tied me to manilla

This character is brilliant! The expressions, the design... It'd love to see her animated.
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart