Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 7 posts ]

Phoenix Wright Cosplay HelpTopic%20Title

Ace Student Sutekh

I am currently planning on attending Otakon this year :phoenix: and my friends (many of whom are cosplaying PW characters as well) suggested I go as Phoenix. As I am new to cosplaying I was hoping some people might have suggestions on how to make/buy things like the badge, and OBJECTION! sign. Stuff like hairstyle shouldn't be too much of a problem since my hair is somewhat similar to Phoenix's (all I need is gel for the most part). Any other suggestions regarding the costume itself would also be great.

The most trying things to obtain will probably be the badge (I have no idea about this one) and the sign (I suppose I can do it by hand but I know there must be some better way of making it). Push comes to shove I think I can buy the suit.
Re: Phoenix Wright Cosplay HelpTopic%20Title

Ace Student Sutekh

Okay so I got this completely backwards. :toaster: As it turns out the suit and the hairstyle will probably be the more difficult parts. I am now considering making the suit and wearing a wig. So any help from any perspective (buying the suit or making it; and getting a wig and styling it or just adjusting my hair) would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any input whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated. My indecisiveness should show just how new I am to this.

'I need a schpoon for my schoop!'

You're in luck! I am a wig expert. :D So I can help you there.

Also, do you need a defense attorney pin, I know where to get those!

So, for the wig...first tell me how much expertise you have with wig making.

Also, how long is your hair currently?

Ace Student Sutekh

I don't have much experience (nice way of saying none :nixiesob: ; most of the ideas, like natural hair vs. wig, about the hair come from friends/my sister) but I am fairly certain my sister can handle it (I have seen her do some better than decent work with wigs). My actual knowledge is practically nonexistent (gotta start somewhere I suppose :yuusaku: ). My hair is on the short side but I am not going to have it cut before Otakon. I would say my hair is about 1-2 inches long (should be a fair estimate). Hope this helps. If you need more info feel free to ask.

Hmmm...

You could pass for Phoenix. :) If you let your hair grow out a tad more then it would work.

Not to mention that if you use your natural hair, it gets you cosplay bonus points, hee hee. People will adore you. I also wrote this myself...its...lengthy. But heres the process I'd go through to do your natural hair for Phoenix. Your sister can surely understand it. I will link you to products later on once my internet isn't dumb.

I recommend using a combo of Aquanet, Crew hair gel, and hair cement, if not also a flat iron. I recommend one that is specifically CERAMIC. It won't fry your ends and straightens the hair evenly.

Nota Bene: About using Crew hair gel...DO NOT PUT A BUNCH IN YOUR HAIR AND THEN PUT YOUR HANDS IN IT. Easy way to glue your hands to your head. Use a little at a time, because it goes a long way. Forget the nozzle at the top too, because it'll just get stuck.

First, wash your hair THOROUGHLY!! (As in don't you forget the sides near your ears where grease gathers, as well as the back of the neck, where sweat gathers) Don't use conditioner. Why? It makes your hair too slippery and flat, in other words, puts grease back into your hair in a way...thats the last thing we need with this hairstyle.

After washing your hair, towel dry gently. When slightly wet, slightly dry, start ironing it to dry it the rest of the way, and iron it outwards, not inwards.

If no iron is available, blowdry it with a brush, brushing outwards, not inwards.

Once its flat, and I mean DEAD FLAT, start gelling it up (Using Crew) and slick backwards, remembering the middle part Phoenix has. Its all a matter of getting the lines to be fairly straight. If straight doesn't do the job, make it look like a duck tail, which also works. I've seen it done and the duck tail Phoenix hair sustains itself.

Upon doing that, use the hair cement to further strengthen. Between gelling, let it set, use a hairdryer to 'set' it...alternate between cool...hot....cool...hot. Make sure its VERY HARD before putting more gel. Once done with a layer of cement, put another layer of Crew. When you do that, it should be enough. If not, repeat layers. THE CREW LAYER IS ALWAYS ON TOP AT THE END.

Nota Bene: For the hair nearest to the neck, don't make it stand at a 90 degree angle like the rest of the hair...its best to let it slick down to the neck when you concern the rest of the suit. :)

Heres where the Aquanet comes in: once you got the hair 'set' spray Aquanet on the hair and its ROCK SOLID. Your hair won't move in a hurricane.

So you should have spikey hair fit for Phoenix. :3

Ace Student Sutekh

Wow...That's very detailed. Thanks a lot. Must remember to attempt the hairstyle at least once before Otakon :godot:

:think: If you want to do a wig instead, the only things needed to change is to eliminate flat ironing (wigs + heat = NO GOOD). To get a wig straight, you wash it in baby shampoo or dish soap (your choice, its the same result, but your choice about smell) then hang it dry. Don't brush or comb it while its wet, although you can detangle it with your hands.

No need for a blowdryer either. If you do want to do a wig, thats fine, although I recommend the wig be slightly longer than your hair (3 - 4 inches? Phoenix's hair IS long!!) A perfect place to try for wigs is http://www.amphigory.com.

If you need anymore help, please feel free to PM me. :edgy:
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay