Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 40 of 40[ 1583 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Re: The New Vent Station (please read the rules before postiTopic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

I can't say I'm pleased with the riots, either; it hurts uninvolved third parties and it gives those who oppose reform a means of diverting attention from the injustice that led to the protests in the first place. What worries me is that such calls for nonviolence may ultimately prove futile--or even that nonviolent protests will not succeed in bringing about change as they did in Dr. King's time. Dr. King wrote in his semi-famous Letter from a Birmingham Jail that his movement sought to be a middle ground between those who did nothing due to belief that the cause was futile and those who turned to violence due to belief that nonviolent resistance would not achieve results. He worried that "if [his movement's] white brothers dismiss as 'rabble rousers' and 'outside agitators' those of us who employ nonviolent direct action, and if they refuse to support our nonviolent efforts," people within the movement would lose faith in nonviolent resistance and turn to violence. Thankfully, Dr. King's movement ultimately succeeded, and so the question of what he and his movement would have done if nonviolent resistance didn't achieve results remains a matter of unprovable speculation.

I worry that this time around, too many people have lost faith in peaceful protests. Nonviolent protests of such incidents as the death of George Floyd have thus far failed to get governments and police forces to enact meaningful changes to the way police treat black people. I remember how loathed Colin Kaepernick and others who knelt during the national anthem were for their disruptive behavior. I recall seeing people complaining about how "die-ins" that blocked highways were disrupting people's livelihoods. These were acts that did not turn violent, yet they have not brought about meaningful change. Those who oppose reform will always search for an excuse for the government to not listen to protesters. If it's not because the protests turn violent, it's because the protests are simply disruptive. This is part and parcel of protesting injustice, but just about everyone has a breaking point, and the longer reform takes, the less effective nonviolence will appear. Amadou Diallo was shot dead by police more than twenty years ago, and that's just off the top of my head. I don't say this to argue that the riots are necessary (though I am sadly at the point at which I can no longer rule out the possibility), but rather to attempt to explain why people might be losing faith in peaceful protest.
I'll always love you, Max.

Yeah, the riots were ineviatable since people complained about the peaceful protests anyway, as you mentioned with Kaepernick kneeling to the anthem. TBH I'm all for the riots bringing down conservative monuments and police stations as long as they stay away from small businesses that are already struggling amongst COVID. Unfortunatley, a lot of the riots are also sparked by people who don't care so much for the protest at hand, but are just looking for the opportunity to cause anarchy or steal things. Many of the protesters themselves are remaining peaceful (but I don't judge actual protestors for rioting given the circumstances since police seem to be firing first in many cases). Hopefully they can get a reform of the police system someway or the other.

The cape is self-fluttering

I don't know that people are losing faith in peaceful protests. It's true there has been rioting, and police spraying/tear-gassing those who are only standing there with signs. Despite this, people continue to hold peaceful protests. Maybe it's because there are also law enforcement members who are listening and standing next to the people.

A lot of strange findings have turned up at these protests too... I've seen videos of people deliberately handing out bricks to protesters or leaving piles of bricks in an area protesters would be, as well as police apparently instructing nonprotesters to put BLM graffiti on store windows. (Edit: Well, now that I've posted this, I see the brick pile thing is being mostly debunked, ha. Sorry about that.) People, at least, protesters are recognizing it isn't a good thing to be armed with bricks during a peaceful protest. And of course, there have been reports of provocateurs smashing windows as people protested. Maybe some of it is set up, maybe some of it not. One thing's for sure. Unlike 50, 60 years ago, there are cameras everywhere today, and news will travel faster than lightning speed, in the good sense and bad. Also, most Americans are fed up with a lot of shit right now, including the pandemic, massive unemployment and the abysmal leadership. Some have a lot of time on their hands for various reasons, and right when the idiot-in-chief is pushing for states to reopen.

Obviously, I can't predict the outcome of these protests, and cannot say whether rioting will continue or not, or to what degree. This is just one person's opinion, and maybe I'm being optimistic, but I feel like things are at a tipping point. I wouldn't count the American people out just yet.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

The Real Human Being

milaza wrote:
Yeah, the riots were ineviatable since people complained about the peaceful protests anyway, as you mentioned with Kaepernick kneeling to the anthem. TBH I'm all for the riots bringing down conservative monuments and police stations as long as they stay away from small businesses that are already struggling amongst COVID. Unfortunatley, a lot of the riots are also sparked by people who don't care so much for the protest at hand, but are just looking for the opportunity to cause anarchy or steal things. Many of the protesters themselves are remaining peaceful (but I don't judge actual protestors for rioting given the circumstances since police seem to be firing first in many cases). Hopefully they can get a reform of the police system someway or the other.

How tolerant of you.

DoMaya wrote:
milaza wrote:

How tolerant of you.

you are a hero

What's a Court Records?

I AM SO SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF MY MOM WASTING ALL THE FUCKING ICE CUBES AND THEN MAKING ME MAKE MORE WHEN SHE'S THE ONE USING THEM ALL UP AND SHE LITERALLY HAS NO FUCKING EXCUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING JOB RIGHT NOW I MADE MORE THIS MORNING AND NOW SHE'S ASKING ME TO MAKE MORE SHE'S DEFINITELY USING TOO MUCH AT THIS POINT
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

The Real Human Being

Rehncohro wrote:
I AM SO SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF MY MOM WASTING ALL THE FUCKING ICE CUBES AND THEN MAKING ME MAKE MORE WHEN SHE'S THE ONE USING THEM ALL UP AND SHE LITERALLY HAS NO FUCKING EXCUSE SHE DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING JOB RIGHT NOW I MADE MORE THIS MORNING AND NOW SHE'S ASKING ME TO MAKE MORE SHE'S DEFINITELY USING TOO MUCH AT THIS POINT

Maybe if you ask her Nicely she'll not be so lazy, just giving her the cold shoulder doesn't seem to work.

What's a Court Records?

DoMaya wrote:
Rehncohro wrote:

Maybe if you ask her Nicely she'll not be so lazy, just giving her the cold shoulder doesn't seem to work.

She never listens to a fucking thing I say. It's not going to work.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

The Real Human Being

Spoiler:
I refuse to believe that humanity has ever been as collectively poisonous to itself as it has been now.

There is a unique kind of hatred in men's hearts in today's world, a self loathing that is bested only by their loathing of one another.

How divided we all are, but with no one to attack?
A queer sentiment found only in this time, history teaches us that evil kings, monarchs, generals and priests led the world astray, and that good men rose up to stop them.
Who leads them? Who leads us? To what end?
Where are we going? Where would they lead us? It's a world of us' and them's.
I believed once that the internet was good, I still want to believe that.
But what has it brought us? Machines that bring us the poison we so desperately want to hear and read?
Invisible enemies, given form only in places far away.
Hearsay and conjecture, anecdotal prejudice.

Have you met your enemies? Far removed of the impersonal screens we engage each-other with now?
At least a spear was true, and a gun too had to be aimed.
But now? Broad attacks with small words, our ego is our online existence, the ID reigns supreme.
How true is a message that won't be slain for?

High level play

I have a big window in my room which is on ground level and a sidewalk is right outside.

Over the years I had some unique experiences because of this, mostly bad. I've had shit stolen trough the window once which was the worst, but the second reason happens more frequently. People throw random stuff through the window (mostly food related things), but last sunday I was gaming in my room with the windows open and a net with 4 spoiled unions were thrown inside.

However, before this happened I saw the perpetrators shimmy around my windows (they passed the window 3 times in a short period, which caught my attention) so I definitely saw the 2 kids who did it. I put on my shoes and started looking for them. Looked out in the street (no one in sight), but next to the house is a big parking place, which would be the ideal place to hide quickly.

Surely enough I ran into the boys there. I confronted them about throwing stuff through my room and how it's not OK. They denied having anything to do with it.

Now, I was 100% sure these boys did it and they lied to my face about it (which is a BIG no-go for me). I lost my temper and grabbed both boys simultaniously and pulled them towards me. I started them down and told them the next time I catch them that I would beat the shit out of them.
At this point the boys confessed and told me they would never do it again. I released them at the same time. Didn't hurt them or damage anything, but they were genuinely scared.

Afterwards I was quite upset and was wondering if I took it to far, but after I calmed down I stand by my decision. None of this would happen if they didn't throw the spoiled veggies in my room so a scare seems appropriate.

Since then I've opened the window every day for a week(not doing so means no fresh air) and nothing has happened so far. I really hope this will be the end of it.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Gettin' Old!

Wow yeah. damn kids, its that kinda stuff which is why people are wary of ground floor flats.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Trainer Gold - Johto Champion.

Yeesh. You don't have a flyscreen to protect you from outside intruders, do you?
You should know how much a difference even a simple flyscreen would make.
To all the creepypastas, Romans, etc.
http://pa1.narvii.com/5806/85074bd75bdf ... 9d1_hq.gif
YOU JUST MESSED WITH THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

I've become a DeviantArt member! Link to my DeviantArt Here:
http://articuno32.deviantart.com/

The Real Human Being

Student678 wrote:
Yeesh. You don't have a flyscreen to protect you from outside intruders, do you?
You should know how much a difference even a simple flyscreen would make.

>victim blaming

It doesn't make it any less of a shitty thing to do.

High level play

I'm considering to get a fly screen, but theres a few hurdles:
1: The window is pretty large, so the screen probably has to be custom made and therefore is pretty expensive
2: I'm considering buying my own appartment in a year or so (currently live with other people in a house),so it wouldn't be a good investment.
3: I'm worried someone would steal the screen itself. Someone already stole a Nintendo 3DS + Wii U gamepad so I'm a bit more anxious since then.

I've seen something which is like a big flyscreen sticker. This is pretty cheap and can't be stolen, but then I cant see through it and when I order food delivery services I can let them deliver with the window open. No stopping the game for me to open the door, which is one of my favourite priviliges of my room.

Ah well, everything has been quiet so far so I'm satisfied with the way things are now. Also I dont think it's blaming to engage about a possible solution. I remember there was a big spat in this thread about people venting and not wanting replies. However, I'm of the mindset that when I put something online that it can/will fall under scritiny of others.

I mean if you try create a 'safe space' on an online forum that means more policing and less possible engagement. It certainly didn't help CR in my opinion.
The only place which thrived in that environment was something like Tumblr, Which I consider as politically extreme as 4Chan, but on the other side of the political spectrum.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

DoMaya wrote:
>victim blaming

It doesn't make it any less of a shitty thing to do.

It's not victim blaming. I was kinda suggesting something that would make things easier. A simple flyscreen would, if nothing else, be a deterrent for those bastards who were throwing things in the window and stealing his stuff. If you were getting attacked by flies, then the next time you go outside, you would have some flyspray. It's not Sjibbey's fault that some assholes decided to pick on him, but I was suggesting a way for him to protect himself and prevent this from happening in the future.

And the fact that those brats picked on him BECAUSE he was unprotected made it even more shitty. They were picking on him exclusively because he was an easy target (as in, they can cause the most damage), which is pretty low. And even if Sjibbey protected himself with a flyscreen, chances are they'd find someone else to pick on who doesn't have a flyscreen. Assholes like these look for victims, not people who can easily whop their asses. And they also want to make the biggest impact possible. From my experience, bullies tend to 1) be looking for the best reaction or impact and 2) are total cowards who would rather prey on the "weak".

Again, none of this is Sjibbey's fault. Suggesting a solution is not meant to be victim blaming.

Hydrophyl the Feraligatr is going to rearrange the Phantom's kneecaps! You never know, I used him, and only him - to defeat the entire E4 and all of Kanto's Gym leaders, believe it or not!

Guys, I'm feeling so bored it hurts.
I'm not exaggerating. The boredom is starting to feel physically painful to me.

Since this COVID shit started, I've been locked up at home for most of the time. My routine has definitely changed and it won't be going back to normal any time soon (especially when it comes to college).

I ask people who are in similar situations what they have been doing, and I always get the same kind of answer: "I've been focusing on stuff like drawing or cleaning up my room", "I have been trying to learn a new language", "I have been reading", "I have been watching TV".

Guys, I love doing these things - I genuinely like them. But I feel despair when I think things like these will have to fill almost 100% of my daily time from now on, for months and months. I miss a little bit of social interaction. Actually, I don't know what it is that I miss so much (being honest with myself, I haven't been seeking social interaction). Maybe I miss having the FREEDOM to go wherever TF I want. I miss not "having to" stay at home. I miss how things were before this shit came along destroying everything.

I know I shouldn't do this, but during the last days or so I have been taking anti-anxiety pills to relieve my boredom (when I'm sedated, I don't feel as agitated and bored). I have been sleeping more than I naturally do, because in my mind sleeping more = less time awake feeling bored. I have been posting compulsively on forums (like this one) where everything is calm, quiet and people are too slow to reply.

In short, I don't know what to do. I don't even know what is making me so agitated, bored and dissatisfied with my leisure time options. Maybe this is an exaggeration but I genuinely feel like COVID-19 is one of the worst things that happened to my life.

You are not alone here. COVID-19 has messed up by schooling and as a result I've fallen behind in some subjects.
Though it's a bit hard for me to empathise with you, since I've been nowhere near as imprisoned as you are due to out relatively low cases, which we only owe to people following the rules and social distancing. Maybe you should find something to do around the house. Play video games, or better yet, make video games. That is, if coding is your strong suit. Maybe help other people out in forums and stuff. Arts and crafts are also a good option if you have the resources.

You know what could be good for you? A cat or dog.

The Real Human Being

Thelema wrote:

Since this COVID shit started, I've been locked up at home for most of the time. My routine has definitely changed and it won't be going back to normal any time soon (especially when it comes to college).

I ask people who are in similar situations what they have been doing, and I always get the same kind of answer: "I've been focusing on stuff like drawing or cleaning up my room", "I have been trying to learn a new language", "I have been reading", "I have been watching TV".

Guys, I love doing these things - I genuinely like them. But I feel despair when I think things like these will have to fill almost 100% of my daily time from now on, for months and months. I miss a little bit of social interaction. Actually, I don't know what it is that I miss so much (being honest with myself, I haven't been seeking social interaction). Maybe I miss having the FREEDOM to go wherever TF I want. I miss not "having to" stay at home. I miss how things were before this shit came along destroying everything.

I know I shouldn't do this, but during the last days or so I have been taking anti-anxiety pills to relieve my boredom (when I'm sedated, I don't feel as agitated and bored). I have been sleeping more than I naturally do, because in my mind sleeping more = less time awake feeling bored. I have been posting compulsively on forums (like this one) where everything is calm, quiet and people are too slow to reply.

In short, I don't know what to do. I don't even know what is making me so agitated, bored and dissatisfied with my leisure time options. Maybe this is an exaggeration but I genuinely feel like COVID-19 is one of the worst things that happened to my life.

Chill mood
Sorry life has you down, I remember feeling similar pretty much every time I was homeless, that restlessness and boredom combined with fear (sickness in your case, sleeping on the streets in mine) made those some of my darkest times. It's not just you, being afraid for a long time makes even the strongest of people angry, and combine it with the fact that you're bored it maximizes frustration.
I sincerely hope you find something to occupy your mind, and that you don't do it in a destructive way like so many other people did. (Hard drugs, alcohol, etc.)
I'm not sure of your faith, and I apologize if talking about this makes it even worse, but maybe meditation or prayer is more your speed? Rather than trying to find something to focus on, maybe make peace with the silence itself? I know that worked for me, but maybe I'm just projecting.

High level play

Thelema wrote:

We all feel the mental drain the lockdown and COVID put on our daily lives. Even simple interactions at the supermarket have changed to the point you always have to be aware of people around you to avoid them (social distancing).Normally you would go around doing your business and pay them really no mind unless its necessary for some reason. In addition you have people who completely disregard the social distancing rules, which causes frustration in it's own right.
These changes seeped in a lot of normal outings. Not to mention the dissappointment that everything that got planned is cancelled, a LOT is happening in the world right now and people are getting more anxious collectively.

For me I've been focussing on my physical health and catching up on some games I've been meaning to play, which is great, but I'm feeling I lose my sanity slowly as the months progress. Probably because my friends are all getting hitched up/or kids and my GF broke up during the pandemic. It's hard to fully close the chapter when it's nearly impossible to meet new people right now.
However, when I look back at my life I wouldn't say this pandemic is the worst time of my life. Its a struggle, but I'm at a point where I am experienced and being able to handle it. I know what tools to use to combat my anxiety and resolve my issues.

So my advise would be to reflect on your situation. Similar struggles and your experiences with them help you identify the points you could work on. Or on the flip side: try to find something something you can work on with passion. In my case I noticed 2 major things during the pandemic:
1: I was inside my house way to much, especially since I'm working from home
2: I really miss social interaction with friends and family
After a while I found some salvation from these problems. For point 1 I started biking around the neighbourhood and for point 2 I deeply dived into the world of Dungeons & Dragons with friends (and my cousin). I also resumed visiting friends and family (with washing hands and proper distance)
This is mending the problem and not fixing it, I know. The lockdown and all it's associated problems won't go away for a while, so that freedom will be restricted.

Finally, I understand the need to use your medication to deal with the 'boredom'. To be honest I also bought some extra de-stressing natural product which is associated with the Netherlands. It is not wrong to have vices as long the substance doesn't control you or your performance. If you take (more) medication for the purpose of relieving boredom then that sounds like a slippery slope to addiction. Look what you should use and cut down when necessary. Especially, during the pandemic you have to be vigilant regarding your physical en mental health.

Spoiler:
You know, after all these months I really miss being able to hug my friends and family without possible 'repercussions'. Lockdown life feels pretty lonely.

The Real Human Being

>Kissanime shut down.
I don't watch a LOT of anime, but it hurts to see it go.

Idol of Polar Bears

One year later and California is still a shit state. If it weren't for school I would pack up and move to another, less shit state. :tigrebw:

I've felt worse.

I've been trying to get a job for the past five months and I fucking hate this process. "Keep at it and don't lose heart" yeah and? Maybe an employer will actually bother to even look at my application? The most response I've gotten is that they updated their requirements for an entry level position to include two years of experience. Like what the fuck do they want a literal robot?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

tiger_festival wrote:
I've been trying to get a job for the past five months and I fucking hate this process. "Keep at it and don't lose heart" yeah and? Maybe an employer will actually bother to even look at my application? The most response I've gotten is that they updated their requirements for an entry level position to include two years of experience. Like what the fuck do they want a literal robot?

Ugh I hear you there, that "literal robot" thing I think is legit what places are basically looking for these days. Can get so unreasonable.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Page 40 of 40 [ 1583 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices