Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 7 of 61[ 2410 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next

Re: 999 Sequel Announced (3DS/Vita)Topic%20Title

Sir

Hey, has everybody seen this:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/24/ch ... old-story/
It's an interview about the initial stages of development of 999, and what was changed or not in the final version (so don't read it if you haven't played the first game YET)
Spoiler:
Other than being interesting for its insight on 999, it may also offer some clues about "Good people die", as it's not hard seeing Uchikoshi trying to rework the ideas he liked but couldn't use the first time around:
- Uchikoshi remarks he specifically liked the idea of having a boy and girl handcuffed to each other. If you think about the kind of "social dynamics" this would create, like forcing those two characters to cooperate rather closely to each other (or not), this seems somewhat close to the interpretation of the "ambidex version" as something that tethers some bracelet numbers to others in some way. So maybe the whole "ambidex" business is, at least in part, a re-envisioning of how to make the handcuffing work in the setting of a Nonary game.
- Another interesting thing is just how dark and gory Uchikoshi seemed willing to go with 999 (with the whole idea of having characters carrying each others hands, or even having the bombs in the bracelets, which may be even more cruel than in the stomach: the blast would quite possibly not kill you straight away, but the blood loss sure would). That makes me wonder how far he will take the horror component this time, or even the whole trust vs betrayal business. Looking back on 999 the game threatened a lot on both fronts, but (fortunately in my opinion) didn't deliver much of either (in fact, there's barely any betrayal in 999. Sure, there's Ace, but he's the villain, and sure, Clover cracks memorably to go on a killing spree, but that's somehow a different thing altogether. In fact, the only other instance of proper betrayal I can think of is Jumpei himself when going for door 3), so I do wonder how much further "good people die" will go. I certainly am not a fan of horror, but 999 wouldn't have been the same if, say, I wasn't actually worried about the "science boy" suddenly coming to life and attacking Clover in door 8, or frying Lotus's brain in door 2.
- Finally (though not that important), the setting of "good people die" also feels a bit closer to the early concepts to 999. Uchikoshi mentions in the 999 website FAQ that initially he was just thinking about having the game taking place in a "mysterious building", which kind of seems to be where he is going with "good people die".

Finally here are some nuggets:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/17/ch ... ranking-5/
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/23/ch ... ranking-1/
These are posts ranking the 999 characters according to popularity (again avoid if you didn't play 999 YET)
Spoiler:
The interesting thing in the posts above is that they contain initial designs of both Santa and Clover (June's post also contains initial designs of her, but I didn't feel those to be relevant). Santa's initial design's were much more effeminate, which allows you to see how Phi came about. But the real nugget is one of Clover's initial designs, whose hairstyle I expect will look very very familiar.

Last edited by groupoid on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000% Knight

Wait Ace is number eight wtf Japan
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Sir

Bad Player wrote:
Wait Ace is number eight wtf Japan

He's number 7. Though I doubt you're much happier about that :adrian: . But they, all the characters are awesome anyway...

I'm more surprised about Lotus being #3, actually. For some reason I thought she would be amongst the least popular characters...
June being #2 also surprised me a bit.

mai wrote:
I'm more surprised about Lotus being #3, actually. For some reason I thought she would be amongst the least popular characters...

Yeah, Lotus definetly came as a surprise to me too. I understand why June is so high on the list though! Clover is one of my favourite characters, but I would never rank her no. 1... am I wrong to assume that it got something to do with the way she's dressed or something :gregory: ?
Latest game update: 25/03/11
If anyone is interested in helping me with the script, please PM me.
UPDATE: Case 2 preview: http://www.4shared.com/video/JAKBIUPG/AAJAD2.html

Sir

mai wrote:

There's no big mystery, really. Just notice the top 3 are precisely the females. Since most of the gaming population is male, these polls are just informally transformed into "which chick did you like the most?". Clover then wins because she's so over the top adorable, the way she dresses, the semi-loli effect, and also because of the axe ending (it's a bit weird to me, but many people love that ending). Lotus loses because despite of the boobs she's probably a bit too motherly.

Last edited by groupoid on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Groupold did a better job explaining my view then I was about to myself.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

groupoid wrote:
mai wrote:

There's no big mystery, really. Just notice the top 3 are precisely the females. Since most of the gaming population is male, these polls are just informally transformed into "which chick did you like the most?". Clover then wins because she's so over the top adorable, the way she dresses, the semi-loli effect, and also because of the axe ending (it's a bit weird to me, but many people love that ending). Lotus loses because despite of the boobs she's probably a bit too motherly.

Yeah, I thought Lotus would rank waaay lower because she's the most mature out of the females, but apparently just being female is good enough to almost override that.

1000% Knight

well, it's........

Clover, June, Lotus, Snake, Santa, Junpei, Ace, Seven, The Ninth Man

And taking into account that Japan loves (note the use of the word 'loves') young women/girls, I think it's a pretty fitting scale of most hot to least hot. If I were to rank characters from most hot to least hot, I'd just swap Lotus and Clover, and then I'd pretty much agree (but what Ace lacks in hotness he makes up for in dignified...ness <3)

(but if it was 'favorite character' rather than 'hottest character' the list would look a lot different)

Also wow, in Clover's concept art she looks really really ugly

Sir

Bad Player wrote:

Are you talking about the official art with the ultra suggestive pose? 'cause I can't agree with that at all.
I don't find her earlier designs too attractive, but that's it.

And people should remember how the voting for these lists goes: each person only votes for their favorite. So characters like June who receive very polarized opinions (people frequently seem to either love or hate her) don't actually "pay" too much for being heavily disliked by some people. It's only those who really like her that count. Contrast that with say Jumpei or Ace. Sure, many people like them, but being the favorite is another story.

Spoiler:
Also, no opinions about whether that Clover early character design makes it more likely or not that the "new Clover" is in fact Clover?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Even if there were another poll for least favorite, The 9th man would win that by a land slide. You know, by point of having nothing of interest to say about him.

Sir

Wooster wrote:
Even if there were another poll for least favorite, The 9th man would win that by a land slide. You know, by point of having nothing of interest to say about him.

Yep, which is why I hope anyone making such a poll would have the foresight and good sense to just remove him. He's really no more of a character than "Guy x" and "Cap" (hell, arguably All-ice has much more of a specific presence than any of them), and no one feels the need to count those.

Last edited by groupoid on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

1000% Knight

groupoid wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Are you talking about the official art with the ultra suggestive pose? 'cause I can't agree with that at all.
I don't find her earlier designs too attractive, but that's it.

Concept art, not official art

(although tbh, I don't particularly like that style the official art is drawn in........... the sprites are much better imo)

Deputy of Self-Esteem

groupoid wrote:
Wooster wrote:

Yep, which is why I hope anyone making such a poll would have the foresight and good sense to just remove him. He's really no more of a character than "Guy x" and "Cap" (hell, arguably All-ice has much more of a specific presence than any of them), and know one feels the need to count those.

It's hard to ignore the guy since It's a game about the number 9, and he's #9. Kinda gets a free pass no matter how unworthy.

Sir

Wooster wrote:
groupoid wrote:
Wooster wrote:

Yep, which is why I hope anyone making such a poll would have the foresight and good sense to just remove him. He's really no more of a character than "Guy x" and "Cap" (hell, arguably All-ice has much more of a specific presence than any of them), and know one feels the need to count those.

It's hard to ignore the guy since It's a game about the number 9, and he's #9. Kinda gets a free pass no matter how unworthy.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he tends to be included. Just pointing out that including him in a "worst character" poll makes the poll worthless: I expect he would hog so many of the votes it would make the voting for the remaining characters meaningless. :yuusaku:

I wish I WERE the best.

Nah, believe it or not, I liked the 9th Man more than June and Ace. Ace is obvious but I got annoyed real fast when June goes lovey-dovey on you.

And the 9th Man's face in the beginning was epic. Maybe I should write a story about what could happen if he hadn't die...

And I heard there's a novel version of 999 in Japan only. Is that true?

OBJECTION!

The "new Clover" does kinda look like an older Clover imo.
I always assumed the art with her.. er, bending over is official, its in the 999 manual.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

OBJECTION!

The interview about 999's development was very interesting - as groupoid says, maybe some of those initial ideas will be in this game?

Sir

Those of you dissatisfied with the siliconera rankings may consider taking your revenge on the poll in the main page of the 999 wiki:
http://ninehourspersonsdoors.wikia.com/ ... Doors_Wiki

And any contribution to said wiki would be welcome, as there is still a lot to do.

1000% Knight

The siliconera posts also had a link to a poll for English fans that was being done by Aksys, but it's apparently ended... Does anyone know if the results have been posted up?

Last edited by Bad Player on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir

Bad Player wrote:
The siliconera posts also had a lynch to a poll for English fans that was being done by Aksys, but it's apparently ended... Does anyone know if the results have been posted up?

I can't say I feel very comfortable around people who confuse the words "link" and "lynch". *Slinks away carefully*

Captain Hair!

I loved 999, so I'm ecstatic that a sequel is on the way. I can't say that I care for the art style they're going with this time around, but I'm sure it'll grow on me, similar to how Layton vs. Wright's 3D models did. Hopefully we'll be seeing this one in the United States, considering how well the first game sold over here.

1000% Knight

groupoid wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
The siliconera posts also had a lynch to a poll for English fans that was being done by Aksys, but it's apparently ended... Does anyone know if the results have been posted up?

I can't say I feel very comfortable around people who confuse the words "link" and "lynch". *Slinks away carefully*

I'm in two forummafia games, and I'm GMing a third one, along with tons of Epicmafia, and I have a cold.......... heh heh ^^'

For the art design, it looks like they're doing a '2d sprites with 3d models' sort of thing, which I think is fine.

OBJECTION!

2D sprites with 3D models doesnt sound so bad. Maybe the actual backgrounds in the novel parts will be 2D.
I can't wait for this, although the snippet of info from the director about "something secret" hidden in 999 has me intrigued....
Spoiler:
Its not just to do with the 9 motif is it? That comes up a hell of a lot in the game. I guess its something no one has found yet?

Sir

grim_tales wrote:
2D sprites with 3D models doesnt sound so bad. Maybe the actual backgrounds in the novel parts will be 2D.

I think I read somewhere that 2D sprites would be used only for flashbacks... Don't remember where right now... (maybe in the neogaf thread... or here...)

grim_tales wrote:
I can't wait for this, although the snippet of info from the director about "something secret" hidden in 999 has me intrigued....
Spoiler:
Its not just to do with the 9 motif is it? That comes up a hell of a lot in the game. I guess its something no one has found yet?

What is this snippet of info you are talking about?
Spoiler:
It's probably just All-ice

@groupoid: the "snippet" is something we're also talking about in the 999 thread.
Spoiler:
I don't want to quote it again, but one of the creators mentioned in an interview that there's a secret hidden throughout the game. Whether or not it is something that's revealed in the Q&A section though is unknown.. but if it isn't, then there's probably still some secret in the game we haven't picked up on.

Sir

Jack Lamber wrote:
@groupoid: the "snippet" is something we're also talking about in the 999 thread.
Spoiler:
I don't want to quote it again, but one of the creators mentioned in an interview that there's a secret hidden throughout the game. Whether or not it is something that's revealed in the Q&A section though is unknown.. but if it isn't, then there's probably still some secret in the game we haven't picked up on.

Like I thought, you're talking about this quote:

"Uchikoshi: Actually, there’s something very important hidden throughout the entire game. If you figure out what, make sure to write “Spoilers!” when you talk about it online. I tried to make a game that people would want to talk about, even after they finished it. The ending wraps everything up pretty well, but there are some things that are still left unanswered, if you look carefully. You can discuss those things with your friends and other people on the internet."

My opinion, the "very important thing" is obviously Zero's identity. This is THE single most important mystery in the game, and the most deserving of the "Spoilers" warning. As for the "things left unanswered" the wording implies they are minor stuff. I think he's merely referring to ambiguous stuff like All-ice or Snake and Seven's actual involvement in the plan. Didn't find that quote particularly noticeable the first time I read it months ago, nor I do now. Plus if you check question 33 in the Q&A:

Q: Is there any end secret not revealed?
A: I believe all the important parts have been revealed in the game.

Oh, right. I suppose I don't remember that one because the answer felt so insifignificant at the time. :sadshoe:
Damnit... Some sort of secret still hidden in the game would have been awesome.

1000% Knight

My guess is that it's
Spoiler:
the bottom screen being young!Akane's narration. I feel like that's more hidden 'throughout the whole game' than just Zero's identity.

Sir

Bad Player wrote:
My guess is that it's
Spoiler:
the bottom screen being young!Akane's narration. I feel like that's more hidden 'throughout the whole game' than just Zero's identity.

I think you are taking both me and Uchikoshi too literally. First recall that his words come from an interview, so you should interpret them with some leeway.

Spoiler:
Second, when I say "Zero's identity", I don't refer to the simple fact that "Akane is Zero", but also to the why, for the reason this nonary game is happening, and ultimately to the final twist in the game, which, as Uchikoshi repeats in the interviews, is what he built the game around. The fact that the narrator is Akane is merely a small part of that, and her being the bottom screen is, while cool, a mere detail that makes no sense without unraveling the full secret.

OBJECTION!

I thought the fact he said "something very important" in the Q&A (which you shouldnt be reading until you complete the game anyway?!) suggests its something other than Zero's identity - IMO. Isnt that already revealed?

Sir

grim_tales wrote:
I thought the fact he said "something very important" in the Q&A (which you shouldnt be reading until you complete the game anyway?!) suggests its something other than Zero's identity - IMO. Isnt that already revealed?

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that this quote was not from the Q&A...

Edit: It's not from the Q&A. It's from the interview I posted at the top of the page.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/24/ch ... old-story/
Which ties in to the point I was making before about taking him literally or not. The Q&A was WRITTEN by him (or the answers in the Q&A, I guess), which means there was some care in the choice of words. Interviews, on the other hand, are generally not, so you should always take specific wordings with a grain of salt, as it were (or maybe it's a lump of salt for interviews, and a grain for written? :edgy: )

1000% Knight

I'm not sure how much it would matter, but I'm also interested in if these were translated from Japanese, or if Uchikoshi knows English...

OBJECTION!

The interview and Q&A seem to translate very well from Japanese (if they WERE translated), IMO.
Its hard to know what is true and what isnt :D

OBJECTION!

Wonder if we'll hear any more info about the game post Christmas? The Vita hits Japan in December so it could happen.
I just had a thought:
Spoiler:
This is really silly but I just noticed the grenade and Anarchy (?) symbols on Speed Racer and Phi's clothes. Maybe they are pawns in Santa/June's plan and they don't know it? Maybe they want to blow up Cradle Pharmaceutical.
Damn I bet I revealed the secret now :( :D

1000% Knight

grim_tales wrote:
Spoiler:
This is really silly but I just noticed the grenade and Anarchy (?) symbols on Speed Racer and Phi's clothes. Maybe they are pawns in Santa/June's plan and they don't know it? Maybe they want to blow up Cradle Pharmaceutical.
Damn I bet I revealed the secret now :( :D

That made me <3 so much. Anyway, to be honest, I doubt Speed Racer's clothes' design have little more to them than "looking cool"; considering most of the game is first person, I think it would be a little cheap to have a plot point be related to something that should be apparent, but that you can't actually see.

OBJECTION!

Good point but
Spoiler:
How do we know the game will be in 1st person? 999 wasn't in the end - it was Akane relating what was happening to Junpei (so 3rd person). You're probably right though, I doubt a point such as the clothes will be relevant if you can't see them, he might not even be wearing them in the game.

1000% Knight

grim_tales wrote:
Good point but
Spoiler:
How do we know the game will be in 1st person? 999 wasn't in the end - it was Akane relating what was happening to Junpei (so 3rd person). You're probably right though, I doubt a point such as the clothes will be relevant if you can't see them, he might not even be wearing them in the game.

Spoiler:
From the screenshots.

And okay technically it was 1st person from June's POV, not Junpei's, either way you get what I'm saying.

OBJECTION!

That's OK, fair do's then :D
I'll probably drive myself mad thinking about the story of this game but there hasnt been any new news for a while.

OBJECTION!

Theory time!
Spoiler:
If its a different Zero, who could this new "Zero" be?
Why would another Nonary Game take place?
Would it be events to link to another game from 9 years ago?
They must have included All-ice for a reason right?!
Also - notice the blood splatter when the clock is at 00:00 = bad ending?!?

Actually if you compare Zero in Good People Die with the official art of Zero from 999 the mask is ever so slightly different.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=412827
Page 7 of 61 [ 2410 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station