Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 47 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

Blah!

Southern Corn wrote:
Quote:
Spoiler: Chapter 2
There is a back route option where Shuichi says that he worked out with Kaito on the night of the murder and heard Maki talking with someone, and Kaito manages to not ruin the lie by catching on and corroborating it. And this does not result in someone outright saying "nah, here's the real evidence" like it did in chapter 1.

Spoiler: Also Chapter 2
Wait, THAT'S the back route? That's what I thought I was supposed to do! So is there a way to bypass that debate without lying?

Spoiler: Chapter 2
Oops, I misremembered. That wasn't part of the back route, that was required. I forgot that the first back route was actually in the first debate, where you could claim there was no trick at all, and then the second back route expanded on the lie that you were required to do. I think the first back route kind of ended up with someone else bringing the argument back on track though. So back routes are kind of weird, since they don't seem to go anywhere. I guess the idea is that you can act like how the other characters do sometimes by bringing up incorrect things?

The fact that the example I gave isn't a back route doesn't really change my argument though, where successful perjury can have the purpose of moving things along when there is a sticky point that can't be proven. Also that Shuichi is really good at coming up with convincing lies on the spot, wherever they fit.

Edit: post 1000, now I'm an Ace Attorney. Woo.

Last edited by blahmoomoo on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: @SC and spoilers for V3 CH3
Well, we’ll see about that. I mean, while it claims to be a reboot, Monokuma vaguely references previous games when there are similarities, such as the katana with the sticky gold coating in Chapter 3.

Spoiler: Chapter 1 and Perjury
When I was spoiled on Kaede’s death, I thought you would use the lying mechanic as a way to defend yourself. I haven’t finished the game yet, so the game might do something new with lying.

Perjury replaces Flashbacks from previous games, in which you use a phrase as a Truth Bullet. Both are used when you have no evidence to use in the debate, so I don’t mind Flashbacks being replaced with Perjuries. It’s just harder to figure out where to use them. Plus, the Backroutes incentivize another playthrough.

Edit: @blahmoomoo - From what I remember from the game’s description of Backroutes, it sounds like you can use them to skip segments of the trial. I haven’t used one yet so I don’t know.

Blah!

I have done every back route so far so I won't have to replay cases to see them (also, it seems very difficult to guess where these are, so this is the only thing I am using a guide for). Compared to the normal route, so far it's just been a matter of someone doubting you, bringing up what you would have said in the normal route anyway, and proceeding as normal from there. Nothing has been skipped so far.

I hope it will do something more later in the game, because so far it's just been me laughing at how pointless the lies are when there is a normal route forward in those circumstances. Regular perjury is good though, at least as long as it continues to remain clear when it is necessary like it was most of the time with flashbacks.

A New Chapter of Trials!

I’m at the very start of case 5 and I hate to be this negative, but the cases are even more of a disaster than by normal Danganronpa standards. So... many... plotholes! I’ve always been more of a mild fan of this series, so I don’t think I will be picking up the next game unless what remains of V3 really impress me. It’s really too bad, because it has some aspects I like quite a lot
Spoiler: case 1
I like Shuichi as a protagonist
and certain aspects of the plot are pretty cool. Ahh, I should probably find another mystery game series to play...
Eureka!

Last edited by Apollon on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blah!

Hey, you put a pretty big spoiler out in the open there...

A New Chapter of Trials!

blahmoomoo wrote:
Hey, you put a pretty big spoiler out in the open there...

Ah, my bad! I didn’t even think about that since it happens so early, I nearly forgot people didn’t know.
Eureka!

Tip: Whenever you can use a Perjury it has a special soundtrack. The regular -BREAK- in this game is without vocals, but if you can use a Perjury it's V3's -BREAK- but with vocals on it.

Perjury version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVf0RiJP2s
Regular version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Gnn0fGEW0

It's a cheap way to figure it out but lolmeta.

There are a *few* exceptions, like in Case 5 iirc, but this is mostly consistent as far as I know.

Last edited by CaptainPancakes on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Thanks a lot! I’ll keep this in mind.

Finished up V3 completely last week. Just been busy recently to mention it. The ending to the game was pretty crazy. Something I didn't expect to completely happen. I loved it honestly because it gave me one of the things I love.

Spoiler: DRV3 CH6+Ending
Which is 4th wall breaking, and they did it very well. From the whole concept of how everything is completely fiction, and how they all just video games pleasing us with the killing games. Was cool when Tsumugi cycled through all the characters from DR 1 and 2. I wonder though if there is still a possibility for more DR with the way the Epilogue ended.

Happy Maria

Apollon wrote:
I’m at the very start of case 5 and I hate to be this negative, but the cases are even more of a disaster than by normal Danganronpa standards. So... many... plotholes! I’ve always been more of a mild fan of this series, so I don’t think I will be picking up the next game unless what remains of V3 really impress me. It’s really too bad, because it has some aspects I like quite a lot
Spoiler: case 1
I like Shuichi as a protagonist
and certain aspects of the plot are pretty cool. Ahh, I should probably find another mystery game series to play...

Personally I think it's better than DR2 but I haven't been having quite as much fun as the original DR.
Spoiler: DR1,SDR2 and v3
Yeah, DR1 had pretty shoddy mysteries, but at least there was a sense of enjoyment to it and there were still a few things to be surprised by. DR2 just repeated the same twists of DR1's cases, which is why the middlegame (2,3,4) was so dull. Just the same stuff being repeated. V3, while I dislike its third and fourth cases, at least the first two were pretty strong and even 3 and 4 had a unique premise to it unlike DR2.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 5. Saved before the trial.
Spoiler: V3 Chapter 5
'Reboot not connected to any of the other games' my ass
I hope there isn't any spoilers for the DR3 anime here though. For those who've finished the game, are there any spoilers for the anime?

Anyway I've stumbled upon a revelation. My theory about the world being fake is starting to sound even truer but if DR1 and 2 events have taken place in this world... Yeah. I think they're going for the same twist as DR2 but on a whole 'nother level. Pretty disappointed tbh

Anyway victim's probably going to be Kokichi and Kaito probably killed him see ya

FS Counter: 169

^ there might be one thing that you might consider a small spoiler but it's not a big deal. doesn't spoil DR3's shitty story or shitty characters iirc.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

This. In fact, I'd rather have found this plot point out through v3 than sitting through that crap anime like I did.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: Chapter 4
Now all my favourite characters are dead.

Chapter 4 keeps with DR tradition in that the strongest character dies. I thought K1B0 was going to be the killer. At least Gonta wasn’t one of those characters that was hiding behind a façade, but a killer who forgot he was a killer.

I figured out the secret of the virtual world quickly like other people had posted, but the game really tries to ease you into it.

Also, you can activate an alternate route by lying about the poison to Kokichi in the very first debate. It’s always satisfying to lie to him.

It took a while, but now he’s establishing himself as the game’s rival. Fuck this guy.

Spoiler: Chapter 5
God dammit, I thought this was going to be a new timeline. Then again, “Third time’s the charm,” was used in advertising and Monokuma does reference the other games, so maybe I shouldn’t have thought it was in a new timeline. With what’s been revealed in this chapter, it feels like what DR3 could have been if DR3 was a game.

I see Junko’s hips are still as ridiculously wide as ever.

Anyway, I liked the mystery for this case. The goal was to create an unsolvable murder like in another game, but this time it was to trick Monokuma. And the victim cooperated with the killer, jeez.

I loved the part when K1B0 lost his ahoge.

I guess we’ll find out more about this later but what was with that scene with Junko? Aren’t we hundreds of years into the future after the last DR entry?

I can’t wait to play this game again because I want to see it through to the end.

Spoiler: Ending
Well... that ending was... something. It still bugged me, but less so than the other games. I’m... really not sure what they were trying to accomplish here.

Happy Maria

Finished chapter 5
Spoiler: Chapter 5 of v3
This was an interesting chapter, but some twists were pretty obvious. Like who was in the Exisal, for example. Also how'd Kokichi come up with the plan so fast? Especially the script. He couldn't have come up with everything in such a short time. The plan was still good though. The execution was also great. It was a nice callback to DR1 and Kaito died of his own accord.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of complaints other than this. Mind Mine was used too often, the overuse of hope and despair return, Monokid is back, AND APPARENTLY JUNKO IS STILL ALIVE?!?!!?!? COME ON CAN YOU PLEASE COME UP WITH A NEW MASTERMIND ALREADY THIS IS GETTING OLD

Anyway there's bound to be some correlation between K1-B0 losing his strand of hair and having his own consciousness.

FS Counter: 171

Anyway, no time to stop. Time to proceed to the endgame.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Spoiler: Chapter 6
I love it when everything is a lie. I really do.

I guess Kaede's twin sister was a lie? I thought that the twin was in control of Monokuma, because Tsumugi couldn't control Monokuma and be present at the same time, surely. Then again, I don't think anybody said that Monokuma was being controlled by the mastermind, did they? I suppose with the revelation that the whole thing was put on by a production company, one of their personnel was in control of Monokuma.

I also wondered that since Kaede was actually innocent, the real Kaede wasn't executed either. Maybe it was her twin?

Kaede was executed on false charges, so why weren't the characters more hung up on that?

To be honest, what I didn't like was that they were ordinary people given false memories to make them think they were Ultimate students. It does fit in with what the theme that the whole thing is made up of people obsessed with Danganronpa, of course.

I loved the twist, don't get me wrong, with all of the cosplaying as DR characters and it getting meta. It went on for too long, however, and the game got full of itself. I liked the hope vs. despair here, too, though it was really on the nose when K1B0 stepped up.

It took a while, but I finally warmed to Shuichi around chapter 4-5. When he had to make tough choices like deducing that Gonta and Kaito were culprits were what made him a good protagonist. At that point he willingly took on the challenges nobody else would accept, rather than reluctantly as in the previous chapters.

So the Hope's Peak backstory introduced in Chapter 5 was a fake-out, and I preferred it that way. Same went for Junko being the mastermind again - I liked that the game made fun of her being the mastermind of every Danganronpa entry.

So all in all, I loved how tense this game was but the ending has me feeling conflicted.

Edit: Does anyone find Monokuma’s voice weird? It’s like the voice actor is trying too hard to make him sound cute. I thought his voice in the other games was a better fit for him.

Happy Maria

He sounds the same to me.

Spoiler: V3 Overall Thoughts
My favourite part of the game is the ending. At first I was pretty opposed to it but now I realise that it's great. Not because of good story telling, oh no. The first part dealing with Chapter 1 was pretty good, but then it spiralled downwards into chaos, and not in a good way. The meta twist was pretty bleh, and the attempt at fanservice was horrible. The message about fiction affect the real world is stupid. Nobody believes the opposite. You can't tell me that media doesn't have an effect on people to this day, nor that there are people who believe so.

The confrontation also draaaaaggged on, even for DR standards. I liked some of the lampshading I guess but still they could've easily shortened this. We had to do the stupid hope VS despair thing and then refuse to do it and then GO THROUGH EVERYONE ELSE'S PERSPECTIVE TO AGREE WITH SHUICHI. And also the fact that DR1 and 2 are fake even ingame is a huge middle finger to the fans, just like the entire trial.

No, the reason I love the ending is because of one thing: what it tells us. The creator is clearly fed up with the series, and with such a controversial ending, the fans are not happy either, which means that it'll be pretty unlikely that there'll ever be another DR game for a long time, if ever. Which is a pretty big relief, methinks.

Anyway, what was the DR3 spoiler in the game? You can tell me now, because I doubt I'll ever start watching it.

FS Counter: 179

Enoshima Junko-chan!

@SC
Spoiler: DR3 spoiler
Makoto becomes the headmaster of Hope’s Peak at the the end of DR3. That’s the reason for the “memory” of Shuichi meeting Makoto.

Blah!

I'm really behind the pack here.

Spoiler: V3 Chapter 3 with Speculation
Man, this case was turning out to be a good, complex one until Angie's murder turned out to be simpler than it seems and the culprit turning out to be a total nut job. Even before that, there were moments where it ran into the common Ace Attorney problem of knowing what the next twist is going to be before the game gets there. Especially the point where the game breaks for intermission; at that point it's extremely obvious who the culprit is. But the fact that the culprit did this for a reason that had nothing to do with anything else is very disappointing, especially when this is case 3 instead of 1 or 2. I suppose this isn't the first time it's happened in DR, but I think other cases like this one at least contributed something to the overall plot. This one really didn't do anything.

But hey, at least the game made it clear during the punishment that him "sending friends" was not a noble effort at all since his sister's spirit salted him to oblivion.

Back routes continue to be mostly meaningless. This time it was mostly about assuming certain things and presenting them as fact, such as claiming Keebo can't see when his eye lights are on. But as usual, there is a clear right way to go so someone else brings up the actual fact (in this case, there's a hole in the corner where light can come through) and the case continues as normal.

As for my speculations, I'm getting concerned that we know almost nothing about Monokuma & cubs or what the point of this game is, since that has always become the topic of cases 5 and 6 in the past. We know about the Ultimate Hunt and... that's it. I have a feeling that some of the people in this game aren't actually Ultimates since they aren't that good at what they do (astronaut who hasn't gone into space, detective who is still learning, etc.), but that might not be super important. The one thing I'm really concerned about here is, due to how light information about the climax has been so far, it could be that the ultimate twist will be something stupid like "this whole game was to entertain YOU, the player!" I hope this game doesn't get that meta...

1000% Knight

Southern Corn wrote:
Spoiler: V3 Overall Thoughts
No, the reason I love the ending is because of one thing: what it tells us. The creator is clearly fed up with the series, and with such a controversial ending, the fans are not happy either, which means that it'll be pretty unlikely that there'll ever be another DR game for a long time, if ever. Which is a pretty big relief, methinks.

Yeah, unless you check his twitter, where he said the exact opposite :basil:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Spoiler:
DR is too big a franchise for spike chunsoft to let it go anyways. even if kodaka doesn't want to do another one i bet they'll find someone else to take over.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

In an interview Kodaka said that V3 may be his last Danganronpa game, but he also said that when DR2 was released. He also said he’d be fine with letting someone else take over Danganronpa.

Happy Maria

Meh, after the way v3 ended, I can't imagine the fans would be too happy about yet another DR game.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I’m not so invested in the series that I want another game right away, unlike how I feel about Ace Attorney. The story and games/anime/light novels give me plenty of entertainment that I’m fine with waiting a while for the next entry, if there is one.

I started the Talent minigame after completing the story, and it’s such a treat. It’s set in an alternate universe in which the DR1/2/V3 characters all attend Hope’s Peak at the same time. You can play as any character you want and you may trigger events to interact with different characters from the same and different games. Sayaka, Ibuki, and Kadeem meet to talk about music and Miu gets off to Hiyoko’s insults, for example.

There’s also a mode like School Mode and Island Mode but this time you don’t have to do any gathering minigame. You get free time at day and casino time at night.
Bolting Shaman wrote:
Socot wrote:
Btw is it just me or is Akane voiced by Wendee Lee?

Yes, Artina Kikes is at it again.

She also voices Miu.

There is no escape.

Since only God knows when/if Faulerro will ever make any Dangan Ronpa Abridged Things featuring the full DR2 cast, I've decided to come up with parody SHSL skills for all the students other than Nagito who was already given one.
Spoiler: List contains DR2 spoilers
Hajime (pre-reveal): Super Duper High School "Who Cares?"
Hajime (post-reveal): Super Duper High School Demigod
Nagito: Super Duper High School Hope Dope
Teruteru: Super Duper High School Pervert
Byakuya: Super Duper High School Glutton
Mahiru: Super Duper High School Normal Girl
Peko: Super Duper High School Fridge Stuffing
Fuyuhiko: Super Duper High School Character Development
Hiyoko: Super Duper High School Bully
Ibuki: Super Duper High School Perky Goth
Mikan: Super Duper High School Doormat
Nekomaru: Super Duper High School Poop Machine
Gundham: Super Duper High School Dark Sorcerer
Chiaki: Super Duper High School Ghost in the Machine
Akane: Super Duper High School Boobs
Sonia: Super Duper High School Occult Fanatic
Kazuichi: Super Duper High School Greasemonkey

The imagination justifies the pimp

Welp, might as well post it here while I'm at it. My thoughts on V3's ending:

https://www.reddit.com/r/danganronpa/co ... 3s_ending/

OBJECTION!

Playing the first game at the moment and really getting into it. Sometimes the game feels depressing especially when you get to know a character, but this is offset by quirky humour and an OTT anime style. It's kind of serious/sad and funny at the same time.
I can't wait to see what happens next, but my thoughts so far:

Spoiler: Characters
I hate Byakuya - FUCK YOU BYAKUYA! He's such an asshole and looks down on everyone.
After a while, no one seems to mind one character sharing their personality with a serial killer - what???
I like Hina - she's nice.

Spoiler: Chapter 4
I felt so bad for Sakura in this chapter - she was so full of pain and no one understood her :(
Also Kyoko is an interesting one - how does she know so much about the school?

Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Finished playing Ultra Despair Girls.

Spoiler: Thoughts
A bit too many panty shots, and the gameplay is okay at best. But it was fun enough regardless, even if it’s essentially shooty refutey without the refutey. Fewer characters meant more time to develop each one. I really enjoyed Komaru and Fukawa’s dynamic. I was never a fan of DR’s post-apocalyptic setting, and the same runs true here. Story kinda plays it safe which means there was nothing that got me mad, but also nothing to get super invested about.

Happy Maria

Iirc the story was fine as far as I care. Imo, DR's overall story really fits more of a shooting game than a mystery one. The end still gets me though.

Spoiler: UDG
The thing with choosing to break the remote control over and over again was just in general frustrating. I never understood why the creator of these games likes to play around with tropes and all just to elongate play time, because in all honesty the ending would have actually benefited from being straightforward more than anything. I understand clichés are clichés, but that hardly means using them is wrong.

Spoiler: Exactly
At the very first time that choice comes up, how are we supposed to know what breaking the controller would do? We have no reason to not break it at that point, and I feel the game punishes us unfairly after that. There's at least some reason to break it after the second time, but good grief.

Happy Maria

Spoiler: Pretty much
Wait, they actually penalise you for that? I didn't know, since I just watched a playthrough. That seems pretty unfair.

But yeah, they basically could've just removed that part entirely and segway into the final boss differently and the game would've been better for it.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I'm replaying V3 at the moment, and just finished Chapter 1.
Spoiler: V3 Prologue, CH1, CH2 Investigation, CH6 spoilers
You can see how much the prologue foreshadows the final chapter. I tried paying attention to how the cast reacts before Chapter 1, but all I remember is that Miu acts exactly the same that she does in the rest of the game. We see the audition tapes for Kaede, Kaito, and Shuichi, and they act about the opposite of their in-game personalities. Personally, I have the headcanon that everyone acted the opposite before their personalities were fabricated, like Angie being an atheist.

Onto Chapter 1. Now that I know all of the twists that are going to happen, I like how Kaede's actions and inner monologue are vague, but they still reveal her as the murderer. There is one exception, though, and that is when she rolls the shot put ball into the vent. "I dropped everything I was holding and left the classroom." I caught onto this when it first happened, but I assumed she meant the remote security switch. Later on you realize that she had rolled the shot put ball into the vent, but that doesn't make any sense. The game makes no mention of Kaede either taking off or opening her backpack at the time.

She does do some sweeping before this happens, which could be an excuse to get close to the vent. I was thinking: perhaps the game could have her take off her backpack before she starts sweeping, and it just so happens she placed it near the vent.

Alternatively, Kaede had set her backpack on the ground at the start. During the scene where she talks to Shuichi about the Debussy piece, she goes over to her backpack, opens it, and takes out the sheet music to show him. Finally,
when the time comes for her to go to the library, she says something about making room for her sheet music as she puts it back in the backpack, then leaves the room.

Regardless, one thing that I really took away from this is how it sets up Monokuma as the villain. He was able to manipulate Kaede into committing the murder with his motives, which shows how much of a master manipulator he is and how futile it is to defy him. Kaede is also the player character, and her motivation to defeat the mastermind is shared by the player.

EDIT: One other thing I noticed that foreshadows the reveal in Chapter 6 is examining your room’s closet. Kaede notices that she has many sets of the exact same outfit she is wearing in there. If you examine Ryoma’s closet in Chapter 2, you see the same thing, and Kaito and Shuichi reveal that it’s the same for them as well, leading to them concluding that it’s like this for everyone. It’s a reality show, so they have been provided copies of the same outfit.

OBJECTION!

I've gone back to playing the first game after a break

Spoiler: Chapter 5 Trial spoilers
I'm being asked to prove that the body we found isnt Kyoko's... but Kyoko is standing right there in the room with us! :rolleyes:

Are there any tips to make the trials easier? I cant remember how to shoot statements (playing on Vita) and there are extra words in the way!

Blah!

grim_tales wrote:
I've gone back to playing the first game after a break

Spoiler: Chapter 5 Trial spoilers
I'm being asked to prove that the body we found isnt Kyoko's... but Kyoko is standing right there in the room with us! :rolleyes:

Are there any tips to make the trials easier? I cant remember how to shoot statements (playing on Vita) and there are extra words in the way!

Use circle to shoot the extra words away. Then the truth bullet (triangle; select which one to shoot with shoulder buttons or by holding some other button to bring up a view that shows more than one at a time [forgot which button that is]) can get through to the highlighted words. Use Start or Select (forgot which one) to bring up the controls for any part of the game.

Unfortunately, the first game does not let you change difficulty modes after you start.

OBJECTION!

Thanks! :) What skills do you think are best to equip? I only have Cool and Composed, Lost in Thought, Melodious Voice, Vocabulary, Handiwork (I think) so 14SP total

OBJECTION!

Finished Chapter 5

Spoiler:
Chapter 5 thoughts
Was not expecting that. The class trial ends and we STILL dont know the killer's identity, I'm saved by deus ex machina, the Headmaster is Kokoro's dad... what the hell

Yabba Dabba Doo

Finally got around to playing this after picking it up during the golden week sale. Holy fuck that shit was a fun ride. I’ve always loved these And Then There Were None type of murder mysteries. Trying to figure out who’s gonna die and who’s gonna be a killer was a ton of fun.

Spoiler: Spoilery stuff (DR1)
Makoto was a solid protagonist. Pretty generic, but he does his job as the “ultimate hope”. Could’ve been a lot better, but he still works fine.

Sayaka was such a perfect first victim, holy shit. It should’ve been obvious looking back, but I completely fell for the game’s trap of thinking she’d stick around as the “assistant”. I thought I was getting into an Ace Attorney style game, but nope. Fuck that. Your assistant died trying to pin her own crime on you. Her death was what made me wake the fuck up and realize that this game doesn’t fuck around.

I never got around to knowing Leon. He seems pretty cool, so I’m hoping to learn more about him in the after school mode. I admittedly thought he was gonna last a while, so him dying early as a killer was a surprise. Also, holy shit, his execution left a mark on me. That was brutal. EDIT: Just finished school mode. Leon's just a knockoff Ryuji. Felt bad for his early death, but I get why he went first.

Chihiro is great. His/her death (not sure what the generally accepted pronoun is for Chihiro) seemed like a throwaway “oh, we’re just gonna kill off the sweet girl” type of thing at first, but Chihiro leaving Alter Ego behind to help was so cool. That’s a god damn hero move right there.

I was convinced for the longest time that Mondo wouldn’t be a killer. He’s pretty much Kanji Tatsumi with a bad haircut. When I realized he was Chihiro’s killer, I was so fucking sad. I wanted him to stick around. His story is pretty damn sad too. And to have him get turned into butter of all things...

Taka’s story felt incomplete to me. He was obviously broken mentally, but to have him just kinda die was pretty lame. Given that Aoi has a similar (and better) arc later on though, I get why Taka was the one to take the fall. Still, compared to the other victims, he deserved a better arc.

I can’t decide whether Hifumi is a good guy or a piece of shit. Celeste obviously tricked him into thinking that Taka had hurt her, but I’m not convinced that his anger was over that instead of Alter Ego. I can’t say I expected him to be a killer, but he definitely fits well as a killer turned victim.

Celeste is...interesting. I’ve never liked the over-the-top-gothic stereotype, but for some reason I liked her a lot. So having her ultimately turn out to be the worst student that doesn’t have mental health issues was disappointing. I was hoping for more from her, instead of her motive being greed based alone.

I didn’t care for Sakura at first, but god fucking dammit I’m mad that I didn’t spend more time for her. I could see the suicide coming from a mile away, but that didn’t lessen the impact by any means. She deserved so much better than her final fate. Having her sacrifice herself to save the others was a beautiful end for her arc.

Toko is...eh. Having her be Genocide Jack was funny as hell in chapter 2, but after that she served pretty much no purpose besides being Byakuya’s lapdog. Not only did that get annoying fast, but she ends up as one of the survivors for some reason. There really weren’t many other options for female survivors (Sakaya, Chihiro, and Sakura needed to die for story purposes, and the last two obviously couldn’t) but I wish she got more development or Celeste gets more development and survives instead of her. She just felt like wasted space otherwise.

Hiro is the same deal. He’s just...there. He’s just the dumb weedbro that does pretty much nothing to contribute to the plot. Either give him a bigger role, or swap him in for another guy like Taka, Leon, or Mondo. EDIT: Well, after finishing his FTEs, Hiro is a cowardly scammer that's also an idiot and would rather sell his friend's organs than his most likely fake "artifacts". Why was he one of the final survivors?

I was convinced from the start that Hina would be a victim at some point. I didn’t think she had any chance of surviving. So to see her not only survive, but have an emotional story as well? Definitely a pleasant surprise. Her suicide mission over Sakura’s death was absolutely nuts, but believable at the same time. She doesn’t have a huge role beyond that, but she’s my favorite side character.

Byakuya was another person I thought would die early on. I thought he’d the the unemotional first victim that got cocky. But after the 2nd case, I started to think that maybe he would be a survivor after all. The on-and-off trust relationship was a cool dynamic, and having him finally admit some sort of friendship at the end was great.

Kyoko was obviously going to last a long time from the start. I considered her as the final victim, but I was pretty confident that she was a survivor. She’s a great character all around, and her cooperation with Makoto gave at least some sense of trust in the game. Having her trust is a nice relief, especially after the fuckery of the first trial.

Mukuro works well as a behind-the-scenes character. I suppose we “met” her early on, but other than that she’s surrounded in mystery. Not much else to say about her.

Finally, Junko. Oh, Junko. I don’t know how to feel about her. I knew something was fishy about her pretty early on, and when I saw the nine lights in the bio lab and her face covered up in the pictures I knew it was her. While her character is fun, she’s...a pretty boring villain, in all honesty. There’s no depth to her. She’s just evil. Not much beyond that. Maybe she gets more in the sequels.

First case was fantastic emotionally, but Jesus they could’ve disguised the killer better. It was so blatant. His name was RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

Second case was my favorite. It was a perfect blend of mystery and character development, from Toko actually being Genocide Jack, to Byakuya being a dick, to Chihiro’s gender, and Mondo’s depressing conviction and Taka’s desperation.

From a mystery standpoint, the third case was a blast. I knew there’d be two victims at some point, but I didn’t think Celeste was guilty at all. I figured out Hifumi was an accomplice pretty quickly, but everything after that was a wild ride. Having to convict yet another one of my favorite characters sucked. The motives could’ve been a lot better in this case though.

Case 4 had such a depressing ending, and Hina’s desperation was heartbreaking, but beyond that I can’t say I cared that much for this case. The mysteries were pretty easy to figure out.

Case 5 ultimately turned out to be a trap, which helps a lot because I didn’t care for this case at all while I was playing it. Having to sacrifice yourself for Kyoko was a cool ending though.

Case 6 feels like the second half of Turnabout Succession in a way, pretty much forgetting everything about the first trial and going somewhere completely different instead. It dragged out a bit at the end, but the first half was a blast. Not a huge fan of the post-apocalyptic ending though, but it definitely drives home the theme of Hope vs Despair.

I do wish that free time had a bigger effect on the plot as a whole. I put a lot of time into Celeste's FTEs, and yet when she was cornered she was calling me an annoying bitch and all that. At least give me some closure, dammit.

Overall, great fucking game. Can’t wait to start the second one.

Yabba Dabba Doo

I had a lot of open time, to I managed to finish DR2 already. Cheers to doing nothing over the weekend.

Overall...I dunno. The ideas here are really cool, and the situations presented are absolutely more interesting than the first game. However, my god is it weighed down by the ending of the first game. I know that V3 abandons the Hope's Peak arc, but if it continues in the same universe then this series just needs a straight up reboot. The premise is already a bit out there, but it's getting into the "pointlessly ridiculous" territory.

Spoiler: Characters
While the ending is dumb, the twist with Hajime is enough to have him leapfrog Makoto in my book. Having such a straight arrow, upstanding guy actually be a murderous psychopath in real life was quite the twist. His personality didn't really stand out beyond that though, so I didn't really differentiate between him and Makoto much until the ending rolled around. Also, not only is his VA the same, but good god why does he look like Adachi so much. It's freaking me out.

"Byakuya" is just...lol. I dunno what else to say. Having a 300 lb. Byakuya at the start was ridiculous enough on its own, but to find out that he was a fake the whole time? It didn't take much thought to realize that Byakuya wasn't dead, but having him just be an obese copycat is just so bizarre that I can't help but kinda love it. He seemed to have good intentions, but he's not exactly the most compelling guy out there, especially when his secret is revealed.

I feel kinda bad for saying this, but thank god Teruteru was the first killer. I couldn't stand the guy. He looks weird, he sounds weird, and him being a pervert was just...gross. There's not really much to say about him. Bleh.

Mahiru dying quickly surprised me. I thought she would stick around a bit longer in a Hina-type role. I liked her a lot, so her death was pretty damn sad. I wish we had gotten more insight into the whole Twilight Syndrome murder case, and Mahiru's involvement. She seems like such a chill person, so I'm curious as to how bad the harassment was, and how different Mahiru was during it. She doesn't seem like the type of person to hide a murder, so she must have been affected pretty bad.

I'm pretty good at not crying during murder mystery games. But goddamn Peko broke me. Fuck 2-2. Fuck you for being so sad. Fuck you for making me cry during an execution of all things. Peko's relationship with Fuyuhiko could've used a bit more than just the ending of the case, but it still drove the point home well enough. Just...fuck. Why did you have to be such a god damn emotional character.

Ibuki was fun enough. Pretty much just a female Hiro. Seeing her spirit broken by the Despair Disease sucked, but holy fuck did it make 2-3 that much creepier. The fact that it was an entirely legitimate possibility that Ibuki had been ordered to just hang herself is unsettling as hell. She (like the other two victims in 2-3) got fucked over hard. Feel bad for her.

Oh, Hiyoko. She was a walking stereotype at first, and I had her pegged as a victim pretty early. But damn, to have her go out while she was trying to improve herself? It reeks of Taka's death all over again. For as much of a little shit as she was, she didn't deserve to go out like she did.

I swear to fucking god, if my favorite character in V3 ends up being the killer in case 3 again, I'm gonna fucking lose it. God dammit fuck me to hell. I had this awful feeling for all of case 3 that Mikan was the killer, but I was so set on believing in her. I connected the dots pretty easily, but I wanted to believe I was wrong. And yet, look how it turns out. Fuck. Not only is Mikan's past heartbreaking as fuck, but she crazy due to catching the Despair Disease, which she only caught due to her doing everything in her power to save fucking Nagito from said disease. Nagito managed to take out my two favorite females, that piece of shit. Thank god Mikan (and everyone else) survives, I would've lost my shit if she had to stay dead.

Nekomaru was a pretty good comic relief/motivational character, and him becoming Mechomaru was so ridiculously stupid that I love it. I had a pretty good feeling that he was a goner, but it still hurt to see him dead nonetheless.

I was already hurt bad enough by case 4, but god fucking dammit Danganronpa you just had to take away Gundham too. This is how you do comic relief. Dude had me laughing pretty much whenever he spoke. Even when he was cornered, his "arguments" were just the most Gundham thing possible (my god his rebuttal is just ridiculous lmao). Even his execution was so pointlessly over the top that it had me smiling. Having him pretty much "sacrifice" himself to let the others out from starvation felt a bit tacked on, but at least it let him go out with a smile.

Fuck Nagito. Fuck that piece of shit. I haven't hated a character in a game this much in a long time. Holy fuck I wanted to punch him so bad. His bizarro suicide plot is so disgustingly evil that I was partially wishing he would come back to life just to see his plan blow up in his face. To go to such lengths, just to kill everyone off? Absolute insanity. Fuck him.

Sorry can't talk about Chiaki I'm still too busy crying over her being executed due to that stupid piece of shit Nagito.

I've already stated my distaste for Hiro as a survivor, but he looks like a godsend compared to Akane. At least Hiro has the ridiculous comic relief going for him. Akane has...nothing. She's the Bargain Bin version of Hina, who was an actually good character. She's just so damn forgettable. She doesn't even have a convincing arc for Nekomaru, it's just "oh no he's dead ok food time". Bleh. Wish she had been the killer in case 3 so that a better character like Gundham or Mikan was here.

It's a similar deal for Sonia. She's just bland. By far the most forgettable character here. I legitimately couldn't even remember her name until the 4th case. The last name "Nevermind" fits quite well, as I never gave a shit about her.

Kazuichi is also fairly shallow, which is a shame. I'm a sucker for the bro types, and I liked Kazuichi a lot. I was hoping that Sonia would be a victim/killer and force Kazuichi to confront that, but instead he just continued on as a punching bag for her. At least his personality is more memorable than Sonia's and Akane's.

Finally, a good fucking survivor. Fuyuhiko is great. I could tell that he was gonna go deep like Byakuya, but I didn't see his arc with Peko and Mahiru coming at all. Him trying to save Peko from execution was what triggered the tears (fuck that case for being so emotional smh), and him trying to make amends afterwards cemented his status as a great character. He could've used a bit more progression after case 3 (he kinda stagnated a bit) but to have someone you can trust is valuable, especially in games like these.

Ok, now I'm finally ready to talk about Chiaki.

Fuck this game for killing such a sweet girl.

Ok that's it, thank you good night.

Spoiler: Case 1
I know that the first case is supposed to be easier, but goddamn was it obvious that the killer used the skewer through the floorboards. It definitely fit the pattern of "the true surprise was the intended killer" that the first game's case also had, with Nagito being a deranged psychopath. However, the emotional attachment to Nagito and Byakuya doesn't even come close to Sayaka's, so it doesn't have the same impact whatsoever. Also, Teruteru kinda sucks. 1-1 is easily better than 2-1.

Spoiler: Case 2
I've always liked "killer used a previous incident as an M.O." mysteries. The underlying mystery of the Twilight Syndrome added a fun dynamic, and it was cool to see life at Hope's Peak referenced in such a way. I dunno how said murder affected Hope's Peak and the class itself tho. It feels like it got swept under the rug after the case. Thank god that Peko wasn't a serial killer though, that would've been too much of a ripoff. The whole "Justice" segment had me dying, though. "I must enact justice for the sake of justice so I can assure justice for all those that desire justice". But, as in usual DR style, they just had to break my fucking heart. It's really close with 1-2, but I gotta give the edge with 2-2.

Spoiler: Case 3
As I said before, I was suspicious of Mikan early on, as much as I hated it. The mystery itself wasn't all that interesting, but holy fuck the creepiness factor here is through the roof. Seeing "Ibuki" walk towards the noose with the bag on her head definitely stuck with me for a while. That shit freaked me the fuck out. But, for as unsettling as it was, I gotta give the edge to 1-3 simply due to it having a much better crime plan. Having Hiyoko thrown in just to have a second victim was dumb, while 1-3 made good use of the "double victim" concept.

Spoiler: Case 4
The setting got on my nerves fast. Seeing bright red and green so much hurt my damn eyes. I had my suspicions of Gundham early on, mostly because I knew they wouldn't kill off yet another female (The ratio at this point was 5 guys to 3 girls, they're not gonna lower that to 5:2). I figured out that the buildings were stacked pretty much right away as well, and that Nekomaru had been dropped to his death. Still, it's a much better mystery than 1-4, so it wins in that department. Definitely not my favorite case though.

Spoiler: Case 5
Fuck Nagito oh my god. Everything about this case is amazing. The incredibly disturbing corpse, trying to decipher Nagito's insanity, and the horrifying truth behind the whole incident. It really should have been ruled a suicide, but the tension and fear at the end is brilliant. I was legitimately scared of the outcome. I didn't want anyone to have to die because of Nagito being an absolute piece of human garbage. And to have Chiaki take the fall? I didn't sleep well after beating this case. It's rare for me to get this pissed off at a story before, but it sure happened here. Best case so far, no doubt.

Spoiler: Case 6
And right after the best case in the series, we get this. Ew. This was just too much. It had its moments (discovering that the class was actually part of Ultimate Despair, and seeing Makoto/Kyoko/Byakuya) but other than that it was just way too pointless. Virtual reality? Really? It felt like the devs wanted the scenario to be "you were the evil ones all along" and then just worked backwards from there to try and make it fit. Junko coming back felt like a cop out. Is it really that difficult to have a new villain? The ending is incredibly vague, too. DR1 hid the "real world", but at least it gave us a sense of what the main characters wanted to do beyond the doors. This time, it's just completely up in the air. Why is Hajime still Hajime? What happened to the other 4? Why can everyone else suddenly be revived? I get not wanting to fill the epilogue with blatant exposition, but there's absolutely no closure here.

Spoiler: Other general thoughts
Going back to what I originally said, this series desperately needs a reboot. I'm hoping V3 does this somewhat. These games excel at making emotional cases with such a tense and apprehensive environment, but they struggle so bad at tying everything together. I mean, end of the world? Virtual reality? Did it need to go that far to contextualize all of this? Why not have this just be the responsibility of some psycho, and have a self contained mystery for their motives? And then, the survivors have to return to the real world scarred by what they've seen and done. Don't pointlessly make them the "heroes of the world" or whatever. Stick to what makes Danganronpa good, not what makes Final Fantasy good.

Blah!

Don't forget to watch the Danganronpa 3 anime to get closure on the Hope's Peak arc. It has issues, but you'll probably still want to see it.

Yabba Dabba Doo

blahmoomoo wrote:
Don't forget to watch the Danganronpa 3 anime to get closure on the Hope's Peak arc. It has issues, but you'll probably still want to see it.

I already know a decent amount about it from browsing the wiki, but I plan on watching it nonetheless. This series could use some god damn closure for once.
Page 47 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station