Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 3 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 48  Next

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:
Yeah, SDR2's ending... Like, does it make sense in the game? Yeah. But... Ugh. It's bad.

Maybe the ending was like that because it will be explained more in Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo

Isn't that that some sort of shooter spin-off thing they're talking about making? It sounds interesting, but I'm a little dubious about it to tell you the truth; just judging by the concept, it seems like one of those things that COULD turn out rather well, or be a complete and fantastic failure. I couldn't tell you which seems more likely :ron:

It looks pretty interesting from the trailers I saw but from what I read it takes place between DR and SDR2 and is said to tie into DR3

元・超会社員級の管理人

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
From what I saw, the fan translation stuck more to the original story while the official translation cut out things in order to fit more with NA audience and even took out some of the funny convos like
Spoiler:
with Ishimaru and Mondo arguing who's balls are bigger xD

Okay, I'm not normally one for explicit humor, but I couldn't help but chuckle at that :phoenix: Well it's a shame that the official translation isn't apparently 'up-to-scratch' (whatever your definition of that is), but I'll take what we've been given for now :phoenix: Who knows? Maybe I'll have the patience to play the fan translation in the future :phoenix:

I haven't played the official English version yet, but I'm curious as to how that conversation was written in the original Japanese.

Spoiler: Not really much of a spoiler but
If it's the one I'm thinking of, oren (the SA Let's Player) just translated it as "willpower", so it sounds like that was more a liberty taken by the fan translation team.

My point is, different translators have different styles - but I wouldn't immediately jump to conclusions and say "oh, the localizers didn't think Americans would 'get' Japanese humor and intentionally removed this joke".

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:
Yeah, SDR2's ending... Like, does it make sense in the game? Yeah. But... Ugh. It's bad.

Maybe the ending was like that because it will be explained more in Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo

It's not really an issue of explaining, though? Besides a few technical points, everything in SDR2's ending is well-explained. But I can see why it doesn't sit well with some folks.

I didn't mind it tremendously, but it is a little unsatisfying.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

A Seeker of Truth

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
It looks pretty interesting from the trailers I saw but from what I read it takes place between DR and SDR2 and is said to tie into DR3

There are trailers? I'll have to check that out; honestly, I just know as much as I do about the game from reading the Wikipedia article about it :edgey:

Speaking of DR3, I wonder if that would be a 'conclusion' of sorts to the series, or just a continuation. If it's the former, then I imagine the ending to the game will bring an end to this 'age of despair'; if it's the latter, they'd may just have a new setting and cast of characters. Either way though, I'd be interested in seeing how they manage to keep the class-trial thing going while still keeping it fresh :trucy:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Bolt Storm wrote:
I haven't played the official English version yet, but I'm curious as to how that conversation was written in the original Japanese.

Spoiler: Not really much of a spoiler but
If it's the one I'm thinking of, oren (the SA Let's Player) just translated it as "willpower", so it sounds like that was more a liberty taken by the fan translation team.

My point is, different translators have different styles - but I wouldn't immediately jump to conclusions and say "oh, the localizers didn't think Americans would 'get' Japanese humor and intentionally removed this joke".

I just feel like all NA releases of Japanese games always take out most of the funny jokes in order to fit in the jokes more to American humor not just with DR. The convo between them is pretty much just replacing "willpower" with "a pair" and it pretty much went like this.

Spoiler: DR chapter 2

I still haven't played SDR2 yet since I rather wait for the release than bore myself with LP videos so I really can't say much about the ending.

GentlemanGamer wrote:
There are trailers? I'll have to check that out; honestly, I just know as much as I do about the game from reading the Wikipedia article about it :edgey:

Speaking of DR3, I wonder if that would be a 'conclusion' of sorts to the series, or just a continuation. If it's the former, then I imagine the ending to the game will bring an end to this 'age of despair'; if it's the latter, they'd may just have a new setting and cast of characters. Either way though, I'd be interested in seeing how they manage to keep the class-trial thing going while still keeping it fresh :trucy:

Yeah they have a bunch on youtube and I only found out about the game through the DR wikipage :P.

I think DR3 will probably either be finally trying to take down Monokuma or It could also be as you suggested by introducing a new setting and cast so that the series will still continue.

1000% Knight

Wait, so... that convo is in the English version? What's the problem? :ron: (Is there really such a huge difference between "balls", "willpower", and "a pair"? (Although if I were translating it, I'd probably go with "guts"))

The ending of SDR2 is generally explained, but there are still lots of random things that aren't. I've been told that they're explained in the spin-off/tie-in novel, but... I don't think a game should require you to buy+read a separate book just to understand it. To me it feels like whenever the DR team needs to provide an explanation for something, they just come up with a vague concept/event with a super-long name and then never bother to actually explain it.

I thought the first DR was extremely stupid, and it feels to me like they've been sprinting in the exact worst direction since then.
Spoiler:
So there's the group/organization called SHSL Despair, and Junko is a member of it... And that organization (somehow) plotted and carried out the apocalypse. Maybe. After all, they point out at the end of DR that Junko could very well be lying about all that. It's a... pretty silly plot. It's bad, but it's not the worst part of the game.

Then comes SDR2. Now Junko is the driving (and pretty much sole) force behind SHSL Despair. Just cuz. And now she's a zombie computer virus. Who's going to take over the world. With mind control. Now this is just... pure idiocy.

And now the shooter. Now they're explicitly confirming that Junko was pretty much able to single-handedly plunge the entire world into anarchy? (After all, the game takes place in the middle of it, right?) No, just... no.

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Fate Testarossa

Spoiler: SDR2 ~ Ending
I was hoping there wouldn't be Junkos. But nooooooooo, they had to do it again. And to me, it just feels like a giant lame cop-out.

Fate is made by クロス

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
One thing I will say is how god aweful the English voice acting was for DR1. They didn't match the characters except for a select few and the translation was crap.

I have to respectfully disagree with that; I've certainly heard worse voice acting (though I have to admit, I didn't like Sakura). I'm not into the voice acting scene, but I think I read somewhere that a lot of them were relatively new to voice acting as well.

For those that are interested, I came across this list of currently confirmed voice actors for Dangan Ronpa 2.

Spoiler: Character names, voice actors
Akane Owari - TBA
Chiaki Nanami - Christine Cabanos
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu - Derek Stephen Prince
Gundahm Tanaka - TBA
Hajime Hinata - TBA
Hiyoko Saionji - Kira Buckland
Ibuki Mioda - TBA
Kazuichi Soda - Kyle Hebert
Mahiru Koizumi - TBA
Mikan Tsumiki - TBA
Nagito Komaeda - Bryce Papenbrook
Nekomaru Nidai - Patrick Seitz
Peko Pekoyama - TBA
Sonia Nevermind - Natalie Hoover
Teruteru Hanamura - TBA
Unspecified character - Johnny Yong Bosch
Unspecified character - Todd Haberkorn

Only heard of two of them, so....

Spoiler: Dangan Ronpa 2
I have to admit, having only heard Komaeda's voice actor as Makoto in Dangan Ronpa 1, and a couple of voice clips in Fire Emblem, and I'm wondering if he'll be able to pull Komaeda off? I've seen this mentioned on a couple of forums, and people keep bringing up his role in Fire Emblem, but the character in that (at least in the clips I've heard) sounds more psychotic in a constantly upbeat way, whereas Komaeda, although he does have a couple of moments, is more soft-spoken with underlying menace.

I also kind of hope Bosch isn't doing Tanaka, he's a good voice actor, but I don't think he's quite right?

A Seeker of Truth

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
I still haven't played SDR2 yet since I rather wait for the release than bore myself with LP videos so I really can't say much about the ending.

Yeah, I made the mistake of watching LP of bits of the Ace Attorney series because I didn't want to wait till I had the money to buy the games myself to 'experience' the game. Yeeeaaaah.... BIG mistake :sadshoe: Suffice to say, I won't be doing the same with SDR2, so I can't say much about the ending either; from what I've heard on this thread though, it suffer's from the 'middle-man' syndrome. That's basically what I call it when you're the second in a trilogy, and struggle to end your story in a meaningful or memorable way. To those who've played the game, would you say this sums it up well enough?

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
Yeah they have a bunch on youtube and I only found out about the game through the DR wikipage :P.

I think DR3 will probably either be finally trying to take down Monokuma or It could also be as you suggested by introducing a new setting and cast so that the series will still continue.

Either way, I look forward to it :phoenix: Speaking of Monokuma...
Spoiler: Monokuma-DR1
I wonder WHAT Monokuma is? At first I thought he was being remote controlled by someone, then it turned out he wasn't so... is he an AI? Was DR1's mastermind a fake? Or was it all true, and there's simply another explanation? :ron:

"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Last edited by GentlemanGamer on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blah!

Some of these replies (especially above) are getting into spoiler territory. I already played DR1 so that isn't a big deal, but don't expect everyone to have done so. Just like in the 999 and VLR threads, it would be best if you keep spoilers in spoiler tags.

A Seeker of Truth

blahmoomoo wrote:
Some of these replies (especially above) are getting into spoiler territory. I already played DR1 so that isn't a big deal, but don't expect everyone to have done so. Just like in the 999 and VLR threads, it would be best if you keep spoilers in spoiler tags.

Sorry, didn't quite realize the spoilers my post contained :sadshoe: I edited my above post accordingly; I don't THINK I posted any spoilery stuff before that though :ron:

1000% Knight

GentlemanGamer wrote:
from what I've heard on this thread though, it suffer's from the 'middle-man' syndrome. That's basically what I call it when you're the second in a trilogy, and struggle to end your story in a meaningful or memorable way. To those who've played the game, would you say this sums it up well enough?

I dunno. To me it felt like they couldn't come up with a good overarching plot, so they just came up with a really bad one and ran with it. It doesn't feel like it's "bridging the gap" in a trilogy.
Spoiler: Vague SDR2 spoilers
I think of chapters 1-5 in SDR2 as one game, and then chapter 6 in SDR2 as a separate game--the same one as (or a continuation of) DR1.

Quote:
Speaking of Monokuma...
Spoiler: Monokuma-DR1
I wonder WHAT Monokuma is? At first I thought he was being remote controlled by someone, then it turned out he wasn't so... is he an AI? Was DR1's mastermind a fake? Or was it all true, and there's simply another explanation? :ron:

Spoiler: DR1
What? Monobear in DR1 was just being remote-controlled by Junko.

A Seeker of Truth

Bad Player wrote:
I dunno. To me it felt like they couldn't come up with a good overarching plot, so they just came up with a really bad one and ran with it. It doesn't feel like it's "bridging the gap" in a trilogy.
Spoiler: Vague SDR2 spoilers
I think of chapters 1-5 in SDR2 as one game, and then chapter 6 in SDR2 as a separate game--the same one as (or a continuation of) DR1.

Hmmm... interesting :ron: I look forward to playing it, if only to see what you mean :trucy:

Bad Player wrote:

Spoiler: Post-Credits DR1
That's why I thought to, but then his eyes lit up at the end following the credits, showing that he was being activated again. Junko was clearly executed, so I can't see how she could STILL be running Monokuma, so I'm left feeling unsure as to what that means. Someone else controlling him? AI? I'm a little confused about that, you see :ron:

1000% Knight

GentlemanGamer wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Spoiler: Post-Credits DR1
That's why I thought to, but then his eyes lit up at the end following the credits, showing that he was being activated again. Junko was clearly executed, so I can't see how she could STILL be running Monokuma, so I'm left feeling unsure as to what that means. Someone else controlling him? AI? I'm a little confused about that, you see :ron:

Spoiler:
Oh, that? Well, I'd say that's either...
1) Just a post-credits gag put there when they probably didn't know/expect a sequel, just for the lulz that doesn't actually mean anything (Remember 999's ending?)
2) Just Monobear powering up... His eyes only turn on, right? Maybe it malfunctioned and turned on, or some rubble fell and hit the "on" switch
3) Something else, that can easily be explained by SDR2. (If you must know... plore mbzovr whaxb, rot 13, major SDR2 endgame spoilers)

A Seeker of Truth

Bad Player wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh, that? Well, I'd say that's either...
1) Just a post-credits gag put there when they probably didn't know/expect a sequel, just for the lulz that doesn't actually mean anything (Remember 999's ending?)
2) Just Monobear powering up... His eyes only turn on, right? Maybe it malfunctioned and turned on, or some rubble fell and hit the "on" switch
3) Something else, that can easily be explained by SDR2. (If you must know... plore mbzovr whaxb, rot 13, major SDR2 endgame spoilers)

Spoiler:
I could see that first explanation being true; the developers spent the whole game trolling us, what with getting us attached to characters just to kill them off, so it's not a stretch to imagine them trying to pull one last stunt before we're done with the game just to spook the player :ron: As for the third.... well, I'll just have to wait till October to find that answer; man does that day seem a long ways away :sadshoe: Ah well, thanks answering my questions :godot:

Breakdown

I finally decided to stop procrastinating on checking this out after a friend who loves AA recently picked it up and raved about it. I don't have a PSP so my experience has been through YouTube and reading.

Spoiler: Endgame/twists/death spoilers
Amazing series. O'lee *#$@ dem executions. And my gosh Junko's amazing, I haven't legitimately hated a VN villain so hard since Dhalia. I love, love, love the story-I'm always trying to find stuff to fill the big release gap between AA games and this so far has fit the bill the closest in terms of design, character personalities, and twists. Some of the more tragic circumstances really hit you right in the feels.

Seriously, dem executions tho-couldn't sleep after some of them, lmao.

Turnabout_Lawman wrote:
I finally decided to stop procrastinating on checking this out after a friend who loves AA recently picked it up and raved about it. I don't have a PSP so my experience has been through YouTube and reading.

Amazing series. O'lee *#$@ dem executions. And my gosh Junko's amazing, I haven't legitimately hated a VN villain so hard since Dhalia. I love, love, love the story-I'm always trying to find stuff to fill the big release gap between AA games and this so far has fit the bill the closest in terms of design, character personalities, and twists. Some of the more tragic circumstances really hit you right in the feels.

Spoiler:
Meh, I still don't get why so many people loved Junko, she was just kind of...there. Sure, she was a super-bitch, but... I don't have to exactly be able to relate to a villain, but at least being able to understand them to some degree would be nice. Every time you start going into details about anything she just says "lol that's not important", and she basically says at one point she's the way she is because she was born that way. Just being born evil is pretty much the shittiest, laziest reason for being a bad guy ever. :ron:

Apparently the books help fill her background in a bit more, but like BP said, you shouldn't have to read supplemental material just to get major story information.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Turnabout_Lawman wrote:

Spoiler:
Meh, I still don't get why so many people loved Junko, she was just kind of...there. Sure, she was a super-bitch, but... I don't have to exactly be able to relate to a villain, but at least being able to understand them to some degree would be nice. Every time you start going into details about anything she just says "lol that's not important", and she basically says at one point she's the way she is because she was born that way. Just being born evil is pretty much the shittiest, laziest reason for being a bad guy ever. :ron:

Apparently the books help fill her background in a bit more, but like BP said, you shouldn't have to read supplemental material just to get major story information.

Spoiler:
I still think that they didn't wanna spoil Junko's backstory just yet because they waiting to explain it better in the other games that are gonna come out.

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
I have to admit that in DR, Junko is a pretty good one-scene-wonder villain.

As a character, though (and in terms of the overarching plot of DR) she's pretty plain and seems poorly constructed.

Fate Testarossa

Spoiler:
But... They don't explain it in DR2. In fact, they make it worse by pretty much making it explained in external books... Which is bad storytelling.

Fate is made by クロス

kwando1313 wrote:
Spoiler:
But... They don't explain it in DR2. In fact, they make it worse by pretty much making it explained in external books... Which is bad storytelling.

Spoiler:
Yeah but remember Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo is also coming out and the fact that there might be a release for DR3.

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah but remember Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo is also coming out and the fact that there might be a release for DR3.

Spoiler:
But again. You shouldn't have to play through two or three other games just to figure out what the deal was with a character that only appeared in the FIRST game. That'd be like Capcom not bothering to go into Godot's backstory until Dual Destinies.

ps I'm pretty sure this is impossible but if for some insane reason Junko does show up in DR2 I don't want to hear about it

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
But again. You shouldn't have to play through two or three other games just to figure out what the deal was with a character that only appeared in the FIRST game. That'd be like Capcom not bothering to go into Godot's backstory until Dual Destinies.

ps I'm pretty sure this is impossible but if for some insane reason Junko does show up in DR2 I don't want to hear about it

Spoiler: SDR2 Spoilers
Don't wanna be mean but she does but as a computer virus xD

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dude. Really? I specifically said I didn't want to be spoiled and you threw a spoiler at me anyway.

Dick move.

Last edited by Franzise Deauxnim on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Dude. Really? I specifically said I didn't want to be spoiled and you threw a spoiler at me anyway.

Dick move.

I thought you mean't it as a sarcastic joke. My apologies, I just wanted to go with the joke.

That's not really something one usually jokes about but ok, just delete or mark it so someone else doesn't stumble onto it.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
That's not really something one usually jokes about but ok, just delete or mark it so someone else doesn't stumble onto it.

I'm sorry. I'll edit it right now by marking it.

I can't find it on iOS....is it off the app store? If it is, are there any good emulators I can use?

JesusMonroe wrote:
I can't find it on iOS....is it off the app store? If it is, are there any good emulators I can use?

You're looking for the game on IOS?

Fate Testarossa

DR wasn't ever on iOS. It's either on the PSP or Vita.

Fate is made by クロス

The first post said IOS. That's why I thought it was

kwando1313 wrote:
DR wasn't ever on iOS. It's either on the PSP or Vita.

It actually does have a IOS version, just only in Japan.

Mostly human

I wrote the OP back when there was no prospect of an English release so it being available for iOS wasn't inaccurate. A lot's happened since then so I'll give it quick update soon; I'm more surprised that more users haven't complained about the use of stuff like Monobear honestly.

Also Ishimaru, this might be an Ace attorney fansite but blurting out spoilers for other games (particularly ones not out yet) is still obnoxious. You've been warned and banned enough for this kind of thing that it might be a good idea to think twice before posting or changing avatars.
Just use a bit of common sense.

Found this and totally had to post it xD

Omg! I wish I could have went to this.

Spoiler: DR&SDR2 Fair
ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:

Spoiler: DR Fair
ImageImageImageImage

That looks so lovely~ :pearl-blush:
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

ZAWA ZAWA

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Aw, I wish I could've gone. I would've totally bought the monokuma t-shirt.

Baia_74 wrote:
Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Aw, I wish I could've gone. I would've totally bought the monokuma t-shirt.

@Scuttlebutt: I Know i'm so jeleous I cant go >.<

@Baia: I would have brought the shirt too. Luckily while I was job hunting I found a Folder with everyone at my favorite Japanese bookstore.

Hey Ishimaru guy:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure your avatar contains spoilers because it seems to be an execution scene (you can tell from the animation), so thanks for that...

Haawke wrote:
Hey Ishimaru guy:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure your avatar contains spoilers because it seems to be an execution scene (you can tell from the animation), so thanks for that...

Spoiler:
I edited the gif for that reason so it wouldn't reveal what it actually was

Ishimaru Kiyotaka wrote:
Haawke wrote:
Hey Ishimaru guy:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I edited the gif for that reason so it wouldn't reveal what it actually was

Spoiler:
Yeah I get that but the art style still made it obvious unfortunately. I see you've changed it now so thanks. :phoenix:

Page 3 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station