Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 5 of 13[ 511 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 


Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4169

You know what really grinds my gears?

Image

LOADING COMPLAINT...

Any sort of loading that interrupts gameplay. Some loading is understandable. For example, if I open a save file or need to go to another "world," I won't be particularly bothered by loading-based interruptions. I know a lot of modern games are really big and can't be reasonably expected to have everything ready to go at any given time. However, it kills immersion when, say, a door won't open because the game needs to load the room beyond it. The same holds true if your character outright

Image

LOADING REMAINDER OF POST...

freezes mid-level because the game needs to load the area of the level you're about to go to. Loading a cutscene that's part of a level can also be a pain in the neck. Imagine you're preparing for an important boss fight. You're itching to confront the boss, exchange a bunch of harsh words with him, then throw down. You open the door. You are greeted not by the boss, but by something along the lines of this:

Spoiler: image
Image

LOADING...


Boom. The moment is more dead than the boss is about to be.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Fate Testarossa

Gender: Male

Location: Uminari City

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Posts: 901

So... Sonic 06? *rimshot*
Image

Fate is made by クロス
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4169

Never played it. It was actually Mass Effect 3 that led to me posting this complaint. It might be because of the machine I was playing it on, but I was often interrupted by a door taking forever to open or the game briefly freezing while it loaded the rest of an area. Part of me thinks the hologram animations on the doors are meant to resemble common loading animations as a bit of a self-deprecating joke.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 866

General Luigi wrote:
*snip*


Dammit I spent 20 seconds waiting for something to load on your post.

One thing that really annoys me is that when you exit a building and go outside, the screen is really bright as your eyes "adjust" to the light outdoors. This effect is over exaggerated, as though I've spent my whole life in a cave before going outdoors. FPSes are notorious for this.

The obsession with grey-brown colour palettes. I know it makes the game look gritty, but it's aesthetically boring.
11037
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

You know, a Mario game!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada, eh?

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Posts: 1955

I never understood why some disc based games have load times while others don't. I mean, you never see any load times in the Mario and Zelda games! Is it because of the way the data is formatted in the disc or something? I don't really know too much about the way tech works. I know how to use technology very well, but not so much what actually goes into making it.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Explorer

Gender: None specified

Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am

Posts: 737

dimentiorules wrote:
I never understood why some disc based games have load times while others don't. I mean, you never see any load times in the Mario and Zelda games! Is it because of the way the data is formatted in the disc or something? I don't really know too much about the way tech works. I know how to use technology very well, but not so much what actually goes into making it.

You mean like in Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword? Those games probably had some amount of 'load time' to them as well. It was probably hidden in a sort of transition cutscene instead of a blatant loading screen, though.
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

I've felt worse.

Gender: None specified

Location: I'm at soup.

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Posts: 1677

*thread title*
Those pointless dialogue options. You know what I'm talking about, you're asked to make a choice about some plot important event and you're given a yes/no option. Picking yes advances the plot. Picking no puts you in an endless loop until you say yes.

For example:
"So, Protagonist, do you want to do the thing?"
"Yes
">No"
"Bad Protagonist! Be serious about this. So do you want to do the thing?"
"Yes
">No"
"Bad Protagonist! Be serious about this. So do you want to do the thing?"

Sometimes, the game doesn't even try to hide it.

"Let's do the thing!"
"You betcha!
"Let's do this!
">Totally radical!"

What's the point of this? To say that the player has a say in the grand scheme of things? There would have been no difference if I simply advanced a text box while the player character nods his/her head. All this accomplishes is taunting the player with the illusion of choice. Occasionally the game will be self aware about it and sometimes subvert it like in Custom Robo (big spoilers behind this link), but in most instances, it's played so painfully straight... like in Custom Robo Arena.
Image
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Explorer

Gender: None specified

Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am

Posts: 737

sumguy28 wrote:
*thread title*
Those pointless dialogue options. You know what I'm talking about, you're asked to make a choice about some plot important event and you're given a yes/no option. Picking yes advances the plot. Picking no puts you in an endless loop until you say yes.

You know, Super Paper Mario did a fairly interesting subversion of that. At the very beginning, you're asked if you'll help save the world. If you pick 'no' enough, the character asking just gives up.

...buuut it's still playing it straight, because it just leads to an instant Game Over.
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Posts: 1546

There's a moment in TTYD where they mix up the options, so choosing once choice leads to the other consequence
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Explorer

Gender: None specified

Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am

Posts: 737

While we're on the subject of dialogue choices in games, how about that damn owl in Ocarina of Time?
You know, how after his whole monologue, the choice is something like:

"Did you get all that?
>No
Yes"

or

"Would you like me to repeat that?
>Yes
No"

...I'm convinced the owl is in league with Ganondorf, trying to slow Link down in his quest.
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14286

Alonso Swift wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
*thread title*
Those pointless dialogue options. You know what I'm talking about, you're asked to make a choice about some plot important event and you're given a yes/no option. Picking yes advances the plot. Picking no puts you in an endless loop until you say yes.

You know, Super Paper Mario did a fairly interesting subversion of that. At the very beginning, you're asked if you'll help save the world. If you pick 'no' enough, the character asking just gives up.

...buuut it's still playing it straight, because it just leads to an instant Game Over.


Well what else could it do?! Turn into a life sim where you just live peacefully while the world goes to hell?
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

Quote:
Those pointless dialogue options. You know what I'm talking about, you're asked to make a choice about some plot important event and you're given a yes/no option. Picking yes advances the plot. Picking no puts you in an endless loop until you say yes.


Urgh. Absolutely HATE those. For one, it makes the dialoge option completely pointless if there's only one "right" way to answer. And for another, it's even worse if all the answers are the same, but worded differently. Like, saying Yes or No in multiple ways.

I understand these are done for the sake of Silent Protagonists to have a sort of "voice". And it's especially done for, like, THE PLAYER to put themselves INTO the role of the silent protagonist. Good idea. But not when there's only one "right" answer. Or, mentioned above, giving you options that means one thing.
It's dumb because it ruins the "immersion" for those players (I never saw myself as the protagonist, I'm always the little devil on the shoulder, saying snappy comments) AND it gives the Silent Protagonist a personality that he's not supposed to have.
If I'm supposed to put myself into their place, why force me into a situation or option that I would never pick?

I would have a great example screenshot, but I can't find it...

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14286

Another Example

Man I do love Golden Sun.

As for those choices, yeah I get it's nice, but often the thing is so crucial that it's something you have to do. I don't mind it so much if the illusion of choice gives you some funny dialogue for saying "No" though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

Invisible stats. Especially in RPG's. It's a cheap way of causing the player to play more to do better or achieve a different outcome by affecting something they can't see. This is why I hate IV's in Pokemon. I don't care if there's a specific character that reads it, you have to go through hours and hours of gameplay to even GET there.

This is why I hate the morality system of Silent Hill: Downpour. Why wouldn't someone kill the evil demons of Silent Hill? Why is it more moral to keep them alive? It's not like they give you any quarter if you stick around for them to get up when they're down.

It's why I'm frustrated by the liberation system of Ogre Battle 64 and the Chaos Frame system.

It's why I found the romance/friendship values in Star Ocean: The Second Story frustrating. Come to think of it, that brings me to my next point:

Too many statistics. In games like Star Ocean, there are so many statistics, it's hard to tell which stats influence what aspects of gameplay.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

You know what really grinds my gears as a gamer? The localization treatment in Europe and Region Locks.

Now, Europe has always gotten kind of the short end of the stick when it comes to games being released. Sometimes this was good, but generally it's bad. Europe never got Tales of the Abyss, initially released in 2005 over in Japan and shortly after in America, until the game was finally enhanced ported to the 3DS two or three years ago. Another time, Europe took so long to get Final Fantasy X localized, that we actually got the International version of the game, including the Dark Aeons, Penance and the other Sphere Grid, absent in the American version.
The last part was great. But the downside is, it resulted in the HD Remaster now having nothing new in it for European players, since we already played the version that included the "new" things, so except for some stupid HD, there's nothing there to somehow move us to (re-)buy the game.

Now, I may understand that localizers aren't sure whether there'll be a decent enough market or interest for the games if they are released in Europe. So, instead of taking the plunge and investing time and money into localizing a game, they opt to just plain not release it in Europe because they think that, well, it's not gonna make enough money to make it worth their time.

Here comes the problem: if localizers don't localize games in Europe, there's no market to bring these games over. If there are no games for European players to buy, localizers will continue to think that it won't be worth it, cause nobody is gonna freaking buy it.
See the problem here?

I was really looking forward to Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS. I like the series, they continuously improve on things on it with every release, and I really liked the idea of having a female main character as an option from the get go - compared to Rune Factory 2, where I did have the option but only after playing the 1st Generation of the game - as well as one of the weapons to choose from being the bow. Since the game is out for a while in Japan and America, I checked a site for a hopeful ET for the release. Well guess what, it got freaking cancelled. Good going guys! Already seems like they aren't giving us Rune Factory 3, which I only was able to play via emulator because of this, and now they're not giving us this although they gave us the first two RF games, as well as Frontier and Oceans as well.

So the only option for me, if I want to play Rune Factory 4, is import.
Which gets me to my other problem. Freaking region locks. I don't care if someone tells me it's to prevent the market from getting unbalanced, that the prices are somehow different or what not. If a company refuses to localize a game in my country so I can play it, I import it. This has multiple drawbacks.

For one, it tends to cost more. Usually. Sometimes, the price is the same if I were to check what it would cost in stores. Another, the waiting times are longer. If it was localized, I could buy it in a shop and play it when I'm home. Import, I gotta wait until it arrives - or even longer until customs decides to tell me it's got it and I have to go out of my way to pick it up, possibly with having to pay some extra money because insert dumb reason of it being above a certain amount of value.

And finally, the region locks. The region locks make it worse because if I want to play a game that isn't localized on a region locked console, I either have to find a way to bypass this protection (like with the PS2's Swap Magic) or waste even more money buying the console for the region of the game I want to play. A third option would be to bypass the protection in a different way, but those can tend to rendering the console broken and without guarantee, so that's generally not one I like to go for.

Stop putting region locks on shit! And stop not localizing shit in Germany and the rest of Europe. I want my fucking games! You think there's no market for the game? Well how can you know there is one if you never fucking localize anything you asstards!?

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 866

Day 1 patches. I hate it when an incomplete game is released and we're constantly promised the issues will be fixed in a new patch or sequel. Stop using patches as an excuse to further develop the game.

Developing DLC alongside the main game, and then selling them separately.

Installing games on console. Halo 4 and Watch Dogs pulled this crap. So basically, my Xbox is just a dumbed down PC at this point.
11037
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Posts: 6443

When game companies are money hungry and don't wanna localize games because it costs "a lot of money" which I assume is pure bullshit.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4169

MBr wrote:
Day 1 patches. I hate it when an incomplete game is released and we're constantly promised the issues will be fixed in a new patch or sequel. Stop using patches as an excuse to further develop the game.

Developing DLC alongside the main game, and then selling them separately.

Installing games on console. Halo 4 and Watch Dogs pulled this crap. So basically, my Xbox is just a dumbed down PC at this point.

I have a special term for that period of time after a game's release in which regular gamers who have already bought the game are informing the developers of the glitches that the beta testers missed: gamma testing. In theory, gamma testing ends when all the glitches are taken care of. In practice, especially with very open-ended games such as The Sims 3, gamma testing rarely ends.
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

General Luigi wrote:
MBr wrote:
Day 1 patches. I hate it when an incomplete game is released and we're constantly promised the issues will be fixed in a new patch or sequel. Stop using patches as an excuse to further develop the game.

Developing DLC alongside the main game, and then selling them separately.

Installing games on console. Halo 4 and Watch Dogs pulled this crap. So basically, my Xbox is just a dumbed down PC at this point.

I have a special term for that period of time after a game's release in which regular gamers who have already bought the game are informing the developers of the glitches that the beta testers missed: gamma testing. In theory, gamma testing ends when all the glitches are taken care of. In practice, especially with very open-ended games such as The Sims 3, gamma testing rarely ends.


Yeah, I guess. It's better than the days of having 7 different versions of the same game, having to pay full price every time.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Gender: Male

Location: Nowhere

Rank: Decisive Witness

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Posts: 258

You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

BlueAttorney4ever wrote:
You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.

Wait till you get to the Battle Maison. <3
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Ace Explorer

Gender: None specified

Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am

Posts: 737

genodragon1 wrote:
BlueAttorney4ever wrote:
You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.

Wait till you get to the Battle Maison. <3

That place can rot in hell! Fuckin' cheap AI bastards with their mrgrgr...

Funny thing is, I'm actually fairly good at competitive battling against other people when I use Pokémon Showdown. Just that I don't have the patience to IV breed/Egg move/EV train things for the actual game. (And even then, VGC is a completely different animal.)
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

Alonso Swift wrote:
genodragon1 wrote:
BlueAttorney4ever wrote:
You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.

Wait till you get to the Battle Maison. <3

That place can rot in hell! Fuckin' cheap AI bastards with their mrgrgr...

Funny thing is, I'm actually fairly good at competitive battling against other people when I use Pokémon Showdown. Just that I don't have the patience to IV breed/Egg move/EV train things for the actual game. (And even then, VGC is a completely different animal.)


Yeah, they only do that because Wobbufet exists. Otherwise, you'd be able to beast any team with almost any level of prediction.

There is a strategy I've been seeing that works with some level of success (not 100%), but having a Truant Durant with Entrainment passing its ability allows a free switch into your set-up baton passer. The computer rarely switches, so protect the oncoming move, set-up, and keep repeating that pattern until satisfactorily buffed. Then baton pass in a free turn into your main attacker, and sweep until battle is over. It's recommended to have Hone Claws, as many later enemies abuse bright powder.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 866

BlueAttorney4ever wrote:
You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.


Pokémon AI has never been smart. When they discover my Flygon's weakness to Ice Beam, the next moves they use are things like Sweet Scent or Swords Dance.

But then, once in a while, you face a jerk with a Minimize-using Blissey.
11037
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14286

MBr wrote:
BlueAttorney4ever wrote:
You know what grinds my gears as a gamer?
When the enemy, that you're battling, uses the same move over and over, thinking it can defeat you with that move. I'm sure it's pretty common in Pokémon X/Y. Don't know about the other games that have this problem. I understand it's part of the game, but still, it's SUPER annoying when that happens.


Pokémon AI has never been smart. When they discover my Flygon's weakness to Ice Beam, the next moves they use are things like Sweet Scent or Swords Dance.

But then, once in a while, you face a jerk with a Minimize-using Blissey.


Lets not forget the iconic Twitch Plays Pokemon battle, level 32 venonat versus Lance (the Champions') level 64 Dragonite. The Venonat won by poisoning the Dragonite out. Almost any move would have killed the Venonat but because it was weak to psychic types it kept trying barrier and agility (psychic moves) that are non offensive.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

The Chocolateholic of CR

Gender: Male

Location: Unknown

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 am

Posts: 2812

You know what REALLY Grinds my gears?


People who commentate in video games....... Mostly in games that have voice actors in them and those that don't. It's okay if they do the lines of the characters but talking over them while the person watching the video reading the subtitles of games that don't have voice actors really grinds my gears. FFS if you are gonna play a video game SHUT THE FUCK UP. We want to watch the fucking walkthrough and read the characters lines without YOU talking.


And I am not flaming at anybody, I'm just a bit pissed off because I did not enjoy FF4 The After Years because some guy kept talking over them and I couldn't even listen to the wonderful music. :larry:
Image
The Dragovian King and Captain Of The Ragnarok Ship and Owner of The Ragnarok Ranch.
I'm a ♌ since 1990 of August 10th. Better Recognize.
3DS FC:2535-5065-3560
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

Anthony wrote:
FFS if you are gonna play a video game SHUT THE FUCK UP. We want to watch the fucking walkthrough and read the characters lines without YOU talking.


Um... just saying, there's a difference between a Let's Play and a Walkthrough. A walkthrough tends to not be voiced, showing you everything in the game, including how to do the puzzles and obtain certain things. And they are, hence, labelled walkthroughs. A Let's Play does involve and is expected to be voiced by someone, because the viewer wants to hear (see, if the LPer has a webcam pic or so as well) the LPer's reactions to things in the game.

I know I don't talk at times during my LPs, but that depends on the game, my mood and if I have anything to say. Only time when it's a walkthrough but with talking, I'd call that more a guide. Like what I'm working on for Princess Maker 4 - telling you what to do to get a certain ending, while showing abbreviated footage of how to do it.

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14286

CatMuto wrote:
Anthony wrote:
FFS if you are gonna play a video game SHUT THE FUCK UP. We want to watch the fucking walkthrough and read the characters lines without YOU talking.


Um... just saying, there's a difference between a Let's Play and a Walkthrough. A walkthrough tends to not be voiced, showing you everything in the game, including how to do the puzzles and obtain certain things. And they are, hence, labelled walkthroughs. A Let's Play does involve and is expected to be voiced by someone, because the viewer wants to hear (see, if the LPer has a webcam pic or so as well) the LPer's reactions to things in the game.

I know I don't talk at times during my LPs, but that depends on the game, my mood and if I have anything to say. Only time when it's a walkthrough but with talking, I'd call that more a guide. Like what I'm working on for Princess Maker 4 - telling you what to do to get a certain ending, while showing abbreviated footage of how to do it.

C-A


I agree in part, there's a time and a place for commentary in a video, after all being a game there can be plenty of dead air when no one is saying anything because of gameplay. Still I'd treat the source material with respect and keep quiet during cutscenes and the like so that people following at home could actually...well follow it rather than have someone talk over it so they miss things.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

Pierre wrote:
I agree in part, there's a time and a place for commentary in a video, after all being a game there can be plenty of dead air when no one is saying anything because of gameplay. Still I'd treat the source material with respect and keep quiet during cutscenes and the like so that people following at home could actually...well follow it rather than have someone talk over it so they miss things.


I generally try to keep quiet during the more important cutscenes... unless I have a snarky comment to make. Exception will be when I do a Skyward Let's Play, where I will talk total crap over The Sealing Scene about midway through the game. Mostly cause that scene is boring, long, explains things I already knew before the game decided to tell me and also cause Link's expression just screams certain things to me that I will have to voice for him.

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Male

Location: Scotland

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Posts: 14286

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
I agree in part, there's a time and a place for commentary in a video, after all being a game there can be plenty of dead air when no one is saying anything because of gameplay. Still I'd treat the source material with respect and keep quiet during cutscenes and the like so that people following at home could actually...well follow it rather than have someone talk over it so they miss things.


I generally try to keep quiet during the more important cutscenes... unless I have a snarky comment to make. Exception will be when I do a Skyward Let's Play, where I will talk total crap over The Sealing Scene about midway through the game. Mostly cause that scene is boring, long, explains things I already knew before the game decided to tell me and also cause Link's expression just screams certain things to me that I will have to voice for him.

C-A


Yeah but that's the thing about let's plays, you ain't doing it for yourself, the audience might not be quite as aware as you about stuff so no matter what you shouldn't talk over it and drown stuff out.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

People who watch my LPs kind of expect me to talk crap over some scenes. And really, it's ZELDA. You don't need to really worry about what's going on. The story, what little there is, isn't difficult to figure out.

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

aka Ami <3

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Posts: 1694

Well, I haven't developed a "style" yet (hence why I've not saved any of the streams thus far), but I try to both review the game and riff on it (a la the original riff artists, the cast and writers of MST3K).
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 866

If I ever did a LP, I would use text commentary.
11037
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: Female

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Posts: 9903

MBr wrote:
If I ever did a LP, I would use text commentary.


I did that once for AA, it wasn't very funny or entertaining.

C-A
Image
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 am

Posts: 6443

When game companies like NISA take forever to process a preorder -.-

Payed my preorder for the limited edition of SDR2 early Tuesday so I can get it shipped quicker yet it's Friday and it's still in the damn warehouse being processed :viola:
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gender: Male

Location: Canada

Rank: Prosecutor

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Posts: 866

Clicking the left stick to sprint. It hurts after a while.
11037
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Gender: Male

Location: IN SPACE!

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Posts: 6664

Commentary over a game doesn't bother me at all because I'll click on the video knowing that's what I'm going to get. It's called a Let's Play. If you're going into a Let's Play expecting them to not talk during the gameplay, special music sections, or cutscenes, then you're going in for the wrong reasons. If that's the case, go watch a playthrough instead. I'll watch Let's Plays mostly to see others strategies on how they handle certain games. If I want to enjoy the game itself, I go watch a walkthrough. Heck, if you want to enjoy the cutscenes and the music in a game, play it for yourself.

Also, to specifically address FFIV: The After Years's music, isn't 95% of it just the same music in FFIV? To my knowledge, the game only had maybe 3 or so new pieces, all centered around the Maenad's character.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)


I feel the same
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

High level play

Gender: Male

Location: Netherlands

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Posts: 1164

MBr wrote:
Clicking the left stick to sprint. It hurts after a while.


Isn't there an option to relocate buttons somewhere?
Creating dreams, let the worlds collide. Escape the void and feel alive
Don't have any answers but I'll survive - In Flames

Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

Gender: None specified

Rank: Ace Attorney

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:25 am

Posts: 3541

Walter White wrote:
When game companies like NISA take forever to process a preorder -.-

Payed my preorder for the limited edition of SDR2 early Tuesday so I can get it shipped quicker yet it's Friday and it's still in the damn warehouse being processed :viola:

The release date is tomorrow. :yogi:
Image
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title
User avatar

In Justice We Trust

Gender: Male

Location: Southern California

Rank: Admin

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm

Posts: 4169

You know what really grinds my gears? Disappointing boss fights. When there's a buildup to a very important fight, I expect the fight to be worth all the buildup. If the boss turns out to be a complete pushover, I'm going to be understandably annoyed. Of course, poor atmosphere (such as a lackluster arena) can also make a boss fight unimpressive. This is especially infuriating in the case of a final boss. This is supposed to be the climax, yet the game fails to make it feel like one.

Admittedly, this kind of disappointment is something the player can sometimes bring upon himself/herself. For example, in RPGs, if you're overleveled or you happen to be outfitted in a manner that makes a certain boss incredibly easy to defeat, then it's only natural that the fight is going to be a disappointment.
Image
Page 5 of 13 [ 511 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

 Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
Powered by phpBB

phpBB SEO