Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 2 posts ]

Pokemon Mystery DungeonTopic%20Title

Back in it, hopefully for the better

Anyone looking for a Pokemon spinoff game that isn't just cheap marketing vehicle and actually has some depth beyond selling the Pokemon image? While I realize not all spinoff games are this and is an overgeneralization of them, there ARE a lot of them that fits the bill. The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, however, decidedly are NOT those games. Admittedly a somewhat acquired taste because of the repetitive nature of the gameplay and the wonky pacing, you will find that the gameplay, somewhat simplistic on the surface, is highly addicting if you can look past some of its faults. Story is pretty good, music is on point and can even be breathtaking (as in the latest addition to the series) and is overall an enjoyable if somewhat flawed series. Thoughts?
Re: Pokemon Mystery DungeonTopic%20Title

Back in it, hopefully for the better

I have just finished (both main story and the epilogue episode) Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. It is one hell of a game! Rather than having the playing experience and gameplay solely shape it like it has in the mainline games, this game is also shaped by a narrative like all of the others in the Mystery Dungeon series. This narrative is actually really impressive and pretty emotional, ESPECIALLY the last fourth of the game in which the ending will make you cry :acro: (I can say this with no sense of hyperbole or exaggeration). Compared to the Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness, the narrative is a little bit more continuous with the tradeoff of less autonomy to grind to level your Pokemon up in order to advance the plot with a more flowing narrative. Interlaced with a damn good narrative is some good humor here and there, character development and an a-maze-ing soundtrack. Seriously, it is so good I would buy it on CD and have it on my phone (just like I did with AA5's soundtrack) if I could.

For all of the good that there is in this game, it can be pretty hard, especially if you pick certain types. For example, as a Fennekin with a Snivy as my partner, I have had a type weakness against at least half the dungeons in some form another along with moves and/or abilities that infuriate to no end (I'm looking at you, Drifblim) in a couple. Granted, there are ways of counteracting it such as more generous offerings for Tiny Reviver Seeds and Reviver Seeds when one finds a Gold Bar. While I was able to of course beat the main storyline, it sure wasn't easy.

For those looking for a different kind of Pokemon game that is challenging, rewarding and a sort of addicting fun, this is certainly one you should check out.

P.S My condolences to those in Europe and Australia who have to wait until February to play this game. :sadshoe:
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station