Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 266 of 274[ 10935 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 274  Next

Re: What are you playing now?Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

Finished my Anarchist playthrough of Tyranny. I figure I might as well run with a Chorus playthrough (as well as look into New Game +) at this point. No idea if I'll like it; Nerat's been good for plenty of laughs, but they don't come much more evil than him. I prefer to play the role of an otherwise good person who seeks to do good whenever he can get away with it. "Chaotic Evil" is a role I've always been hesitant to play, so this could be a nice test of my role-playing skills, if nothing else. I'll probably stick to the "Rebel" path after that, as I feel it allowed me the most room to be the kind of character I prefer to be.
I'll always love you, Max.

Gettin' Old!

Nice work General!

I'm trying to work through Pillars of Eternity now. Currently in Twin Elms and still enjoying it a good bit. My mate is doing the same because he wants a completed character file for Pillars of Eternity 2.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Just ordered a Persona machine Playstation TV and P4G. It's coming just as my finals wrap up, so I'll have quite a bit of time to play it. Very excited, and I hope it's as good as the 5th one.

Still in the middle of Chrono Trigger. It's a solid game, but I often time have trouble finding the motivation to start playing it. It's a good game, but it's worn down on me. Add in that I'm maybe halfway through at best, and I dunno if I'll finish it before P4G gets here, which was my goal.

I've felt worse.

Twilight Princess HD and Devil May Cry HD Collection

It feels weird, going back to Twilight Princess when I'm already used to BotW's controls. Even the wolf sections feel off, since I'm already used to Ōkami's controls. Still, I can see a couple of QoL changes were added: Link's climbing speed increased, you only need to find 12 Tears of Light in each area, and the starting wallet holds 500 rupees. Textures were also given an overhaul, so nothing looks pixelated. Now if only Link's hat would stop clipping through his shield...

In contrast, this is my first time entering the Devil May Cry series and I can easily tell the HD collection is a lazy port. Sure, the in-game graphics can be rendered in 1080p, but the FMVs are all in their original resolution, making them look worse than standard gameplay footage, and none of the textures have been updated. You could probably get similar performance results with an emulator and a widescreen hack.
Still, it's pretty fun. DMC1 is fine if you accept that the level design was salvaged from a scrapped Resident Evil game.
I knew people hated DMC2, and I wanted to try to give it a fair chance. I put it down after four chapters, tried DMC3 and immediately understood why everyone hates 2. 3's controls just feels so much more fluid.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster

My sister bought it for me a while ago and I haven't played it yet. I've only played the PS2 version when it came out. Aside from new dresspheres and slightly upgraded graphics everything is pretty much the same. Which I like. I'm almost finished with my first playthrough. I didn't really care for the story. I usually get more into it the second time around. I'm going to try to get 100% in my second playthrough though.
It feels so nostalgic playing it again.
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Yabba Dabba Doo

Been playing Octopath Traveler a lot for the past 5 days (About 45 hours logged so far). I honestly cannot recommend this game enough. It is phenomenal. The battle is constantly strategic and compelling, the artstyle is absolutely gorgeous, the stories are fantastic (Save for H'aanit's), and the music is absolutely superb. My only complaint comes in the lack of integration between the party, especially considering...

Spoiler: Late game/Final Boss spoilers
Unlike what most reviews say, the stories DO tie in together. And not just a little bit; they're all HEAVILY connected. For example, Alfyn's childhood hero (The Apothecary that saved him) is also the man that wrote Tressa's journal, Kit's missing father, AND Redeye. Despite this connection, we never see the party react to this at all. Hell, during the final boss, no one from the party speaks AT ALL. I get that the devs wanted maximum freedom, but you have to draw the line at a certain point and sacrifice some unneeded freedom for narrative purposes.

Despite that, this is definitely my game of the year so far. Curious as to whether Smash will surpass it or not.

While I'm at it, might as well rank all the characters. They're all great, with the top two being absolutely stellar.

1. Alfyn
2. Primrose
3. Therion
4. Tressa
5. Ophilia
6. Olberic
7. Cyrus
8. H'aanit

You know you've got a good cast when Cyrus somehow is 7th overall.

Gettin' Old!

Yeah this is the selling point for me: do the party members interact?

I played the demo and when I rolled into town to collect a new party member and help them with their quest I was quite surprised to see the existing party members were represented nowhere in the quest. They were just invisible.

Does that sense stick or does it improve?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Sorta? You get these little scenes called travel banter where your party interacts, but they never interact in the cutscenes themselves. It’s not enough to ruin the game and the stories are great on their own, but it’s definitely rather jarring.

Yabba Dabba Doo

With Valkyria Chronicles 4 on the horizon, I figured I'd try out the demo. Fell in love with the gameplay, so I went back and played the first game. It's definitely one of those games were I kept thinking "Holy shit how have I never heard of this before", because damn is it a good game.

I've never really been a huge fan of strategy RPGs, and the furthest I ever got was Mario + Rabbids (which is a great game in it's own right). However, the freedom VC provides is just incredible. Despite it being a slow, turn-based game, it feels real-time. Positioning troops, using tank cover, and setting up ambushes is incredibly fun. Tanks are a bitch to control, and some of the classes are just straight up useless (there's virtually no use for shocktroopers until they get to level 13+) but those problems pale in comparison to how great the combat is.

Spoiler: Story
The story is predictable, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt way too cliche at the beginning (Random clueless good boy and well-meaning cute girl somehow both know how to operate as successful soldiers and immediately become Lieutenant and Sergeant? Gee, ain't that convenient) but as it progressed I began to enjoy it more. There's four focus points I want to touch on: The protagonists, the antagonists, and the two major deaths.

1. The protagonists are fairly cliche, but they all have their moments. Largo was the personal favorite of mine, despite him never really going through any major development. Isara was another standout. Rosie felt pretty contrived at the start, but as the story progressed she went through some good development (more on that later). Welkin and Alicia are about as cliche as you can get, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Still, near the end I could pretty much predict Welkin's lines. Varrot was another favorite of mine, mostly because she's pretty much Morag without the Scottish accent. I also liked how Varrot and Largo end up marrying each other at the end despite there being pretty much no indication (unless I missed a report).

2. While the protagonists hold their own, the antagonists falter a bit. Gregor is just a dick, with not much else too him. I thought he was the soldier that spared Welkin and Alicia in chapter 8, but it's apparently a different person, which strips Gregor of the little development I thought he had. Jaeger feels like he's set up for a return at some point, but whether that's in one of the PSP games or the new game, I don't know. His story is definitely unfinished, but I liked what I saw from hit a lot. I hope he returns in VC4. Maximilian is, unfortunately, in line with Gregor as a dick. He gets some miniscule development at the very end, but it really doesn't do much for him. I had hope that Selvaria would be the star of the show, but even she kinda stunk. I was praying that we'd get a follow-up to her childhood story and motives for her devotion to Maximilian, but instead she just wants to get into Max's pants. It feels like a completely wasted opportunity, and I thought she'd return near the end somehow given how half-baked her story was.

3. I knew exactly what was happening when I got to chapter 11 (the little screengrabs on the chapter select screen gave it away) but Isara's death was still powerful. Most war games have a big death or two in them, but the set-up for Isara's was well done. The game had been pretty happy up to that point, so instead of just bitchslapping us with her death the devs set up the last chapter as a darker one, setting the tone nicely. The Isara-Rosie-Largo dynamic was well done too, and while I wasn't overly sad at her death it was still emotional. Having Rosie sing at her grave was fucking beautiful.

4. While Isara's death was handled well, I can't say the same for Faldio's. I could tell from the get-go that Faldio would be a traitor of some sort, but he never was really "evil". Hell, I wanted to side with Faldio rather than Welkin. His death just feels so...pointless. He even said it himself: He cut the power on the Marmota, rendering Maximilian's Valkyrur powers useless. Why does he need to throw them both down the pit? Can't they just, y'know, take Max and walk away? Hell, why not just shoot him if he needs to die? It's a much better solution than throwing yourself both down a convenient hole Darth Vader style and blowing up the whole ship. It was handled so fucking poorly.

Despite the story hiccups, I still loved the game. Placed my pre-order for VC4 right after I finished. And, since I tried out the demo, I might as well cover my thoughts on that too.

1. Gameplay-wise, I like VC4 more. Scouts seem to be nerfed, shocktroopers got a well-deserved buff, and everyone else stayed where they're at. The grenadier is pretty OP, but I'm hoping it's just for that specific mission. I also like how unique the missions are too, compared to just "take the camp" or "kill the boss" from VC1.

2. I like the setup for the story more as well. Rather than giving us the intro to the protagonist's life and how he joined the war, it just throws us straight into the war. The characters fill out their tropes, but I much prefer starting the story with everyone already in the squad than learning how each and every one joined. I also like that the main characters all know each other from before the game begins, and I'm enjoying the darker tone so far (such as the Imperials burning down an city within the first two chapters). It's already out in Japan, but luckily I've kept myself fairly spoiler free, although I know of one major plot point. It's too early to say for sure, but I have a feeling VC4 will top VC1 by a good margin.

Gettin' Old!

Yeah the ending of VC1 falls off badly.
Spoiler: End of Valkyria chronicles
I feel the entire cast should be tried for War Crimes rather than lauded as heroes because they LET that monster tank hit the city causing immense damage and certainly massive loss of life.
All because Alicia shouldn't use her Valkyrie powers? Why not? Its not fatal and its a power that could save lives. I had to imagine the reporter left that part of the story out of the official report because its abominable.

And yeah Faldio's sacrifice felt super pointless.
Like they have everything under control. All he did was endanger everybody by making the giant tank explode.

That said there's nothing quite like VC's gameplay and I am absolutely excited for the full release. Grenadiers I think are broken and are there to stay.

Also its been a while since I played the first game but I think the characters are far more dysfunctional this time around? As in their personal perks seen more negative and balanced than I remember from VC1
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Pierre wrote:
I feel the entire cast should be tried for War Crimes rather than lauded as heroes because they LET that monster tank hit the city causing immense damage and certainly massive loss of life.
All because Alicia shouldn't use her Valkyrie powers? Why not? Its not fatal and its a power that could save lives. I had to imagine the reporter left that part of the story out of the official report because its abominable.

Spoiler:
Valkyria powers aren't usually fatal, but Alicia was an idiot who threw away her lance and then tried to nuke herself, which is fatal. At that point, letting her go through with it would mean annihilating both sides, but that still prevents any civilian casualties.

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Spoiler:
Valkyria powers aren't usually fatal, but Alicia was an idiot who threw away her lance and then tried to nuke herself, which is fatal. At that point, letting her go through with it would mean annihilating both sides, but that still prevents any civilian casualties.

Spoiler:
Yeah so basically if she'd handled it smartly it would have been fine. As it was she handled it poorly and it would have cost one soldier. Still the sheer level of destruction you see when that tank hits Gallia really makes me question whether that's a fair cost.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yabba Dabba Doo

Spoiler: VC1 story
The general idea I got from it is that, while Alicia was virtually unbeatable as a Valkyrur, the Marmota itself wouldn't exactly be destroyed if she just went with the normal Valkyria powers. It may have just been a case of "too little time", as Alicia wouldn't have been able to stop the Marmota in time without pulling the nuke card.

Then again, it was probably just an excuse to pull the classic "We don't need power when we have love and teamwork!" card and get Welkin and Alicia to kiss (which, despite the wonky setup, was an adorable scene).

Pierre wrote:
That said there's nothing quite like VC's gameplay and I am absolutely excited for the full release. Grenadiers I think are broken and are there to stay.

As I said before, I'm hoping that it was just for that specific mission. I didn't really try to use Grenadiers in the second mission, but that was mostly because the mission didn't really need them all that much. Just needed to bullrush the camps with some scouts and the tank and summon snipers when needed.

Hopefully some of the later missions require more mobility, forcing grenadiers to stay back behind cover instead of getting caught in the crossfire. I'm also curious as to how enemy grenadiers will fight.

In Justice We Trust

I'm playing Crusader Kings II. I'd love to play as a pagan again, but since several of the pagan mechanics will be updated in the upcoming "Holy Fury" expansion (which I am very excited for), I'm holding off on pagan playthroughs for the time being. Instead, I'm playing as a Greek Orthodox dynasty that got its start ruling over Karalis (known to us in the third millennium as Cagliari). In the roughly 100 in-game years since then, my dynasty has schemed its way into controlling all of Sardinia, conquered Corsica from the Lombards, and is now in the process of bringing Rome back into the Roman Empire. The real fun will begin when and if I manage to seize the Imperial throne.

Gettin' Old!

They release so many expansions for that game I wonder why they don't simply implement a full on sequel.

@Thunder

Once you beat the Demo, you unlock one bonus mission which gives you more power and more difficulty. In that mission Grenadiers are still clutch but they are also a nightmare as the enemy has them as well.

If they land near you then aside from the damage and ragdoll you get from the explosion, you also lose AP making it harder to approach them.

Snipers are the ideal way to handle them I think but given how they have an arc of fire the Grenedier will likely be well covered.

Best chance I think will be to buff a scout and go on a near suicide run to take them out.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yabba Dabba Doo

Pierre wrote:
They release so many expansions for that game I wonder why they don't simply implement a full on sequel.

@Thunder

Once you beat the Demo, you unlock one bonus mission which gives you more power and more difficulty. In that mission Grenadiers are still clutch but they are also a nightmare as the enemy has them as well.

If they land near you then aside from the damage and ragdoll you get from the explosion, you also lose AP making it harder to approach them.

Snipers are the ideal way to handle them I think but given how they have an arc of fire the Grenedier will likely be well covered.

Best chance I think will be to buff a scout and go on a near suicide run to take them out.

Shit, forgot about the extra mission. I never had time to do it, and I just forgot about it afterwards. Looks like I know what I'm doing when I get home.

Hopefully the whole game won't revolve around the grenadiers. They introduce some really cool strategy potential in how you take them out, but hopefully it doesn't just boil down to scout suicide runs.

Tried out a few of the DLC missions for VC1. The scout mission was painfully easy, but good lord the lancer mission is kicking my ass. Those god damn reinforcements just don't stop coming, and it's hard to take the tanks out without perma-killing one of your lancers (which I go out of my way to prevent).

EDIT: Finished the rest of the demo (Both skirmishes + bonus mission). A few thoughts.

1. I have a feeling Grenadiers are gonna get annoying fast. They're not really broken, per se, but it'll be hard to accomplish much until they get taken out. For me, the best ways to take care of them were sneaking around them with scouts or just sniping them with Kai.

2. Surprised Minerva was playable. There seems to be a lot of work put into her animations and whatnot, so I doubt she's demo-specific. However, there's also another tank that'll join the squad at some point (given that there's a 2nd tank slot in the skirmishes) and only one more squad captain left. I hope she's the 4th captain, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

3. I hope this doesn't last long into the game, but the AI just seems...dumb. There's been a few occasions where a scout will completely miss me from maybe 15 ft. away. Probably the worst offender though was during the bonus mission. A scout snuck up behind my shocktrooper, but for whatever reason they just ran right past me instead of shooting me down. I wasn't even behind cover either; I was literally just standing in the open, and the scout just ran right past me and got gunned down almost right away.

Happy Maria

The World Ends With You. Interesting game. Very unique gameplay for sure, it’s kept me hooked more than any other RPG I’ve ever played.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Octopath Traveler is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it still felt too easy for me. After hearing so many great things about it's semi-predecessor, Bravely Default, I decided to pick it up and give it a go. Holy fucking shit, how have I never played this game?

It's like everything I loved about Octopath gameplay, but better. The combat is great, the bosses are fun and unique, the customization is incredible, and that job system...oh man. Nothing tops the feeling of getting a new job and playing around with it. It takes a lot to get me to like grinding, but BD managed to pull it off. Grinding out jobs just to see what else they can do is so much fun.

And the best part? I'm a little over 15 hours in and I ONLY JUST STARTED CHAPTER 3. So not only is this game fucking gigantic, but I then get to play Bravely Second once I finish it. Add in Torna: Golden Country and Valkyria Chronicles 4, and I don't know if I'll have any free time in the next month and a half.

I heard that the story wasn't that good, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's clearly not the focus, but it pulls it's weight when needed. Tiz is pretty boring and generic, but the other 3 party members are fantastic. It's rare that I'll laugh audibly when playing a game, but Ringabel has made me laugh at least 10 times so far.

The music, while not on the level of Xenoblade or Octopath, is still pretty damn great. Serpent Eating the Ground is obviously the highlight, but I haven't heard it in-game yet (which figures to make it that much better). Of the music I've heard so far, Love's Vagrant is my favorite.

Also...

Spoiler: Chapter 2
Maybe I'm just really dumb, but I can't remember any point when the 4th vestal was mentioned. All I remember is the fire vestal being pronounced dead, and then Olivia dying. So why would Airy know that Agnes is the "only one"?

Calling it right now: Airy is evil. Kinda like the whole Persona 5 ending trick, with Shido/Eternia being the "human villain" and then Yaldabaoth/Airy being the "god villain".

Gettin' Old!

I hope you really like the story. It'll help you going forward.

The game is good but the story starts to drag a bit. An yes loves vagrant is awesome. I loved naming and designing special attacks.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Happy Maria

I managed to finish off TWEWY. Yes, even including Another Day and the secret reports.

So, here's my thoughts on it, I guess.

Spoiler:
Overall, it was really great. I'm glad I got pressured into playing this because it was great. I liked the really fluid and dynamic gameplay, it was such a breath of fresh air and really kept me invested more than any RPG I've ever played. It was pretty difficult but I managed to get through somehow.

The characters were great too. Early game emo Neku slightly annoyed me but I managed to get used to him eventually. Minamimoto was super annoying too, his random spouting of maths related phrases zetta got on my nerves. I honestly preferred his Another Day equivalent in comparison.

Oh but Joshua is like the best thing ever. I liked what a douche he was all the time and how the game managed to subvert my expectations on his role. Fun fact, I honestly did want him to kill Neku at first... And then it actually happened. 10/10 best thing ever.

Anyway this was a good game, I'd give it like a 8/10-

Whelp I take that back 10/10 game truly amazing.

yeah so I was too lazy to go back to the game to get that and went to a random TWEWY LP to screenshot that instead, gimme a brrak

Persona 5 - a new run while following a guide to max all confidants and social parameters (I missed a day of going to the bath for +3 Charm because I didn't have the 500 Yen needed.)

Pokémon Y - started a new file that I haven't touched in a week already... Oops.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Pierre wrote:
I hope you really like the story. It'll help you going forward.

The game is good but the story starts to drag a bit. An yes loves vagrant is awesome. I loved naming and designing special attacks.

I actually now have a new gaming tradition of naming everything "Ryuji". Doesn't matter the context. Main protag in P5? Ryuji. The raft name in Kingdom Hearts? Ryuji. Everyone's special in Bravely Default? Ryuji.

I also made sure to replace every text line with either "For real?!" or "Ain't that bad?!".

Yabba Dabba Doo

Just finished the main story of Valkyria Chronicles 4, along with a few squad stories and extras. The quick version of my review? If you like tactical RPGs, GET THIS FUCKING GAME.

The biggest draw for Valkyria Chronicles is its combat, and it's fantastic as ever in VC4. The same basic additions apply, but there's a ton of balancing and new features. Scouts are nerfed significantly, while Shocktroopers got a huge buff. Grenadiers are much less OP than I thought they were, and Engineers are almost a necessity on any map now. The only disparity I noticed was between Lancer and Sniper: Lancers, while necessary, aren't that good, while Snipers are very good. Kai barely misses. Ever. The new additions are also really cool. The new tanks allow for a lot of customization regarding battle: Do you want more mobile transport with the Cactus, or a more offensive tank with the Glory? The Command feature is also really cool, albeit a bit OP near the end. Being able to refresh Minerva's entire AP gauge while also leading a pair of Lancers around became a staple in my VC4 toolbox.

The map design is also a huge step up. Long gone are the more generic environments. Each of the maps feels special in it's own right, whether it be the setting or the actual layout. The first map for the Battle of Siegval stood out in particular: A wide open field with only a few cliffs, and gun fire blasting overhead.

The gameplay holds up well, but what about the story? I'm happy to say that it's much, much better than VC1's. VC1 had a fine story, but it was pretty loose in a few areas. VC4 tightens everything up, and almost every action has some sort of consequence later on. There's only one part that felt tacked on, but everything else felt fluid and natural. There's one big, big moment I want to talk about though.

Spoiler: MAJOR, MAJOR STORY SPOILERS (VC1 AND VC4)
I was fully expecting someone big to die. They did it with Isara in VC1, and there was no reason they wouldn't here. However, I was still expecting someone more "minor", I guess. Miles was my first guess, but it then shifted over to Minerva. And then the Captain. And then Marie.

Instead, Sega fucking blindsided me and killed off Raz.

I didn't see it coming at all. The story makes it painfully clear that Raz is going to die in Chapter 16 (Claude even labels it a suicide mission) but before then I didn't think Raz was going anywhere. They handled it perfectly. Raz went from a chauvinistic dick to a much more lovable guy, and I thought his arc was done. The slow burn of Chapter 16 was absolutely heartbreaking. I was never stressed out in any battle more than the Chapter 16 battle; not because of the difficulty, but because I knew I was leading Raz into his inevitable death. The game forcing you to choose one other soldier to accompany him on his suicide mission was just the cherry on top. After doing the squad stories, you become attached to these soldiers. It hurts.

The one issue I did have was the Kai/Raz romance sub-plot. It doesn't fit Raz's character at all (The guy literally grabs Kai's ass with no hesitation in Chapter 3, but you mean to tell me he gets embarrassed by his feelings for her?), and it literally gets dropped right after it finishes up. They could've simply kept it as "I'm your friend for life" and it would've worked just as well, if not better.

The other twists and turns in the story are also really interesting, and it handles death quite well. The theme of "Regrets and consequences" is constantly brought up throughout the story, and it feels natural.

The presentation is also stellar. The storybook artstyle still holds up, and the music is just as great as it was before. A lot of music is re-used, but it still fits quite well. The usage of the VC1 Main Theme and Final Boss theme was very good.

The content in this game is also impressive. 18 chapters, a prologue, and 5 interludes. The chapters themselves are also much longer than VC1's. Then add in the skirmishes and the squad stories (which are an absolute joy, by the way) and you get a very good package of content. I'm looking forward to the DLC as well.

Overall, VC4 gets an easy 10/10 from me. It's one of the few games that managed to live up to every single one of my expectations, and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes JRPGs or strategy games.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Villain Spoilers
Forgot to mention this, but the villains are much better here. Valz and Crymaria are both absolutely stellar, and Forseti is a much better main antagonist than Belgar.

I've felt worse.

Quote:
Kai/Raz romance sub-plot.

Quote:
(The guy literally grabs Kai's ass with no hesitation in Chapter 3

Please tell me there's a ton of context I'm missing here that actually makes this not sound creepy.

Yabba Dabba Doo

sumguy28 wrote:
Quote:
Kai/Raz romance sub-plot.

Quote:
(The guy literally grabs Kai's ass with no hesitation in Chapter 3

Please tell me there's a ton of context I'm missing here that actually makes this not sound creepy.

As I said, it’s just completely out of character for Raz. Most of the time, he falls in the “lovable yet horny douche” category, and he and Kai are really close friends. Kai immediately decks him after and then just fights him 1v1, so it didn’t feel too weird st the time.

However, for whatever reason, Raz suddenly has a crush on her later on, confesses to her, and then the matter is almost entirely dropped and Raz goes back to being the old Raz. Had it just stayed as “close friends” the story would’ve been pretty much identical. It’s much less creepy given the context, but the romance doesn’t help matters at all.

I might as well use this post to talk about the final boss as well.

Spoiler: Final Boss Spoilers
If there's one thing Valkyria Chronicles can't get right, it's final bosses. The final boss here is pretty much just a harder version of Maximilian's tank from VC1, which sucks. It moves all over the map and Grenadiers that zap AP constantly spawn, making it a complete bitch. It's not super difficult, just annoying. The final boss theme isn't that great either.

However, I will say that the first battle in the final chapter is absolutely stellar. Similar to VC1, the first battle has you taking down the antagonist's giant vehicle thing. This time, however, it's a sub. You need to board the sub, disable the sub generators, and then destroy all the harpoons within only a couple turns. It's a ton of fun, and the atmosphere is incredible. Rather than going for the traditional "dark sky, clouds swirling" final boss aesthetic, it's just a regular sunny snow day. It honestly feels like the type of weather you could see in your average Midwest winter. It's so cool to have such an epic fight take place on a brighter, more natural setting. Add in that the final boss theme from VC1 is playing, and it was by far my favorite mission in the game along with the Battle for Siegval.

In Justice We Trust

An unexpected benefit of my back injury was that I had little choice but to spend extended periods of time lying down, and since that meant I couldn't use the computer, I decided to finally download "Torna - The Golden Country." I actually think I prefer its combat mechanics over the main game's mechanics; Blades and Drivers feel more like equals in it, whereas in regular XC2, Blades feel more like support for their Drivers, which is unfortunate, considering the whole "Blades are people, too" theme the game was going for. Plot-wise, though, I'm having a little trouble getting into the story, if only because I know beforehand through the main game that three of the major characters are doomed to tragedy.

Also, I'm of the opinion that Haze has supplanted Kasandra as the most huggable XC2 character. I really hope the developers eventually include DLC or a patch that makes her playable in the main game. Screw swimsuits; I want Haze!

Spoiler: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Chapters 5, 8, and 9
Yes, I'm aware of Haze's fate. I still say it's possible to make her playable. Just make Amalthus drop his half of Haze's Core as loot after being killed (he does drop loot, after all), then include a side quest to seek out the remains of the Indoline Titan. Once there, you could retrieve Haze's body and reassemble her Core Crystal, making her playable--and as Haze rather than as Fan La Norne.

Gettin' Old!

They change up the gameplay? What's different?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I watched Chuggaconroy's Let's Play of Xenoblade 1.
...um, I feel like the game is just a tad too long, or has pacing issues, to really be enjoyable? I mean, some of the revelations you get near the end are neat. But then they keep throwing more revelations out, like they are trying to one-up each other. Also, once again, the main couple of the game (Shulk and Fiora) get lauded as being obviously in love with each other, and Oh my god, it's just obvious to everyone that they'll end up together down the road.
Well, once again, I saw nothing that seemed to show me that early in the game. And adding Melia in for the sake of a Love Triangle was dumb. (And the less I say about Sharla backstabbing Melia, whom she previously told she'd support her feelings with Shulk, only to go back on those words... the better)

By the way, some of that equipment just looks dumb. Especially for the female members. The seventh party member shoving majority of her boobs into my face all the time, and I can even see her buttcrack in the 'speed' armor...

Spoiler: Xenoblade 1 Spoilers
I didn't care that Fiora died.
I found it stupid when she returned with a Mechon body.

But what really annoys me is how she gets her Homs body back in the epilogue. They had scenes (mostly Heart to Hearts) where Fiora and Shulk actually talk about what her having a Mechon body will change for their relationship or even their lives. Fiora thought Colony 9 wouldn't accept her, so Shulk said they can move somewhere else. And especially talking about how Fiora's Mechon body didn't need sleep or food, and was technically ageless, so she was worried that she'll see Shulk age and die, worrying that he would just spend his life with a machine like her...

Okay, granted, that ageless thing doesn't become important when Meyneth gets removed and Fiora is implied to be dying soon, anyway. But it was something! They could've made a very interesting, different couple. The choses-to-not-be-a-God, former-vessel Homs Shulk staying with his crush, whose body was made into mostly machine.

Nah. That's too interesting and different. Let's basically hit a reset button for Fiora and make everything sickly-sweet happy in the end, with the minor difference that her hair is still short.

I am doing a fully new playthrough of Persona 5.
Once again, I'm following a guide to get all the parameters and confidants ranked, and getting most trophies I'm missing... I previously made a mistake, so I was lagging behind the guide, and I didn't know if I could still fix things. Still gonna date Haru this time around. She's so sweet.

In Justice We Trust

Pierre wrote:
They change up the gameplay? What's different?

In the main game, the player only gets to control the Driver, the Driver wields the Blade's weapon except during special attacks, and the Blade is always in the back, providing buffs and the like. All special attacks are done by the Blade while the Driver just stands there.

In Torna, the player controls the "Vanguard" while the AI-controlled "Rearguard" has Arts of their own that they use. The player can have the Vanguard and Rearguard switch roles. The Driver and Blade have their own weapons and only share weapons for the Level IV special attack. For example, I might start out controlling Addam with Mythra as the Rearguard, but then I switch to Mythra with Addam as the Rearguard. Drivers and Blades both have their own special attacks, too.

I'll grant that it's possible to have different roles and still be equals, but mechanically, Blades came off to me as secondary to Drivers in the main game--the moons to a Driver's planet, if you will.

The cape is self-fluttering

I keep meaning to finish Xenoblade 1, but I unfortunately fucked up and didn't realize the skill trees had to be manually moved. So I've been going back to fix those, as well as take care of quests.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

In Justice We Trust

I'm playing Europa Universalis IV. Since Holy Fury still isn't out, I figured I'd pick up where my Crusader Kings II playthrough left off. House Ioannidis managed to gain control of the Imperial throne through marriage to one of the Emperor's daughters. A few convenient deaths later, my character's wife was the Empress and their son the heir apparent. All things considered, seizing the throne was a relatively bloodless affair. What's a wrecked carriage and a few deaths here and there compared to the devastation and thousands of deaths a civil war would have brought? The Roman Empire continuously expanded under the rule of the Ioannidis dynasty, reclaiming Italy, its African possessions, the Levant, the Black Sea coast, and even the Arabian peninsula. With the Pope and his court having been expelled from Rome long ago for refusing to submit to the Roman Empire, Catholic authority eroded to the point that even the weakest rulers routinely saw fit to defy the Pope. As the other Pentarchical cities came back under Roman control, Orthodox Christianity looked increasingly attractive to the various Catholic rulers; embracing Orthodoxy would help relations with the expanding empire at their doorstep, after all.

Anyway, it's now 1681 in my playthrough of Europa Universalis IV. Most of the African coast is controlled by the Roman Empire. Rome also has two colonial subjects: Roman Cemanahuac is a group of tropical islands west of Europe near the Aztec homeland, while Roman Lutriwita is a few large islands and several small islands to the south of the Spice Islands. Reclaiming all of Gallia, Hispania, and Britannia before the 1821 end date is unlikely; expanding too quickly has some rather nasty side effects, not to mention I've also set my sights on Africa. I actually have a benevolent reason for conquering Africa, though; I aim to abolish slavery the instant I have the option of doing so, and if I control all of the provinces that produce slaves as a trade good, I'll be able to essentially destroy the slave trade, too.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Finished up Bravely Default. The big twist was certainly...interesting. It dragged on a bit, but once I leveled up to 99 and maxed all the jobs I had fun playing through all the bosses, despite the lackluster bosses. I'll definitely pick up Bravely Second at some point, but that may not be for a while yet.

I'm trying to save money, and I was looking for a nice cheap RPG. Saw that Persona Q was only $20, so I decided to get because why the hell not. It's nothing like a Persona game, but I'm still having an absolute blast with it. The battle system is like a mix between Bravely Default and Persona, and it's a ton of fun. Trying to conserve your SP by exploiting weaknesses makes fights a lot more interesting than I thought they'd be. Exploring the labyrinths is a lot of fun too, and having a 100% filled out map is so damn satisfying. The story is pretty non-existant, but the fanservice is fantastic. Seeing the casts play off each other is really awesome, and it's led to a lot of pretty damn funny moments. Whether it be Teddie trying to hit on Aigis only to get shot at, or Kanji desperately trying to pet Korumaru, it's always really fun and cute. The traits of the characters are played up to the extreme (Chie only cares about meat, Yosuke can't get a girl to save his life, Akihiko wants to beat everything up and eat protein nonstop, etc) which I'm fine with. The music is absolutely superb too: The battle theme, Light Up the Fire in the Night, is by far my favorite Persona battle theme, and the themes in PQ2 look just as amazing (Invitation to Freedom sounds incredible).

Gettin' Old!

Thunder84 wrote:
Finished up Bravely Default. The big twist was certainly...interesting. It dragged on a bit, but once I leveled up to 99 and maxed all the jobs I had fun playing through all the bosses, despite the lackluster bosses. I'll definitely pick up Bravely Second at some point, but that may not be for a while yet.

I'm trying to save money, and I was looking for a nice cheap RPG. Saw that Persona Q was only $20, so I decided to get because why the hell not. It's nothing like a Persona game, but I'm still having an absolute blast with it. The battle system is like a mix between Bravely Default and Persona, and it's a ton of fun. Trying to conserve your SP by exploiting weaknesses makes fights a lot more interesting than I thought they'd be. Exploring the labyrinths is a lot of fun too, and having a 100% filled out map is so damn satisfying. The story is pretty non-existant, but the fanservice is fantastic. Seeing the casts play off each other is really awesome, and it's led to a lot of pretty damn funny moments. Whether it be Teddie trying to hit on Aigis only to get shot at, or Kanji desperately trying to pet Korumaru, it's always really fun and cute. The traits of the characters are played up to the extreme (Chie only cares about meat, Yosuke can't get a girl to save his life, Akihiko wants to beat everything up and eat protein nonstop, etc) which I'm fine with. The music is absolutely superb too: The battle theme, Light Up the Fire in the Night, is by far my favorite Persona battle theme, and the themes in PQ2 look just as amazing (Invitation to Freedom sounds incredible).

The story is actually alright once it develops a bit in Persona Q but yeah the exaggerated character traits can get a little frustrating at times. I really liked the combat system though admittedly I broke it. I wish there had been "multiple party" moments because there's too many characters I like to use all at once. That problem will be even worse in Persona Q2 when they add the P5 crew to the mix.

If you WANT to break the game and make your fights easier:
Spoiler:
Teach Naoto Impure Reach which I think you can get from Incubus as a skill card. This greatly boosts the odds of status affects applying. Somehow Mudo and Hama 'instant death' counts as a status effect and so you can DECIMATE opposing forces if they are not resistant or immune.

Even then there's a surprising amount of enemies who are weak to either light or darkness so if you hit that weakness and kill half the enemy party you get a FREE cast of whatever level of Almighty Damage you are packing on everyone else next turn.

Only time she's not really good is against bosses.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yabba Dabba Doo

Pierre wrote:
Thunder84 wrote:

The story is actually alright once it develops a bit in Persona Q but yeah the exaggerated character traits can get a little frustrating at times. I really liked the combat system though admittedly I broke it. I wish there had been "multiple party" moments because there's too many characters I like to use all at once. That problem will be even worse in Persona Q2 when they add the P5 crew to the mix.

If you WANT to break the game and make your fights easier:
Spoiler:
Teach Naoto Impure Reach which I think you can get from Incubus as a skill card. This greatly boosts the odds of status affects applying. Somehow Mudo and Hama 'instant death' counts as a status effect and so you can DECIMATE opposing forces if they are not resistant or immune.

Even then there's a surprising amount of enemies who are weak to either light or darkness so if you hit that weakness and kill half the enemy party you get a FREE cast of whatever level of Almighty Damage you are packing on everyone else next turn.

Only time she's not really good is against bosses.

Yeah, it didn't take long for me to realize that Naoto is busted as hell. I actually took her out of the party due to how fucking OP she was. I've just been running a party of my favorite characters (Yu, Akihiko, Yukiko, Mitsuru, Yukari). I regret using Yukari so much, because she's a total bitch in Q. It's too late to swap her though.

The Clergyman boss was so fucking cool. I was laughing my ass off at how ridiculous he was. The over the top accent really sold it for me.

In the middle of the Evil Spirit Club (I think that's what it's called?). Those fucking doll things got me good. I pretty much threw my 3DS on the ground I was so damn scared. I was not expecting jumpscares in a Persona game, goddammit! I just reached the hospital part, so god knows how much worse it's gonna get.

Gettin' Old!

Honestly I reversed my way through the evil spirit club so those jump scares couldn't trouble me. J-horror is a weakness of mine but it was an interesting take for a dungeon.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Over the past few days, some more Super Mario Maker.

Alexander James

I've been playing some Sound Voltex Booth recently. It's good and all but I can't save my progress online because the QR codes can't be scanned properly. The QR codes don't work.
If all of them are happy, then I shall be happy too.

The end of nonsense is near.

Idol of Polar Bears

I've been taking a stroll down memory lane these past few weeks with my old-ass N64 games. Lately it's been F-Zero X. Finally getting out of my comfort zone and expanding to difficulty levels outside of Novice. Expert shouldn't be too hard to complete as long as I consistently maintain a high velocity on the courses. Master, on the hand...I dread facing the AI on that difficulty.

Gettin' Old!

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
I've been taking a stroll down memory lane these past few weeks with my old-ass N64 games. Lately it's been F-Zero X. Finally getting out of my comfort zone and expanding to difficulty levels outside of Novice. Expert shouldn't be too hard to complete as long as I consistently maintain a high velocity on the courses. Master, on the hand...I dread facing the AI on that difficulty.

Used to play that all the Time on the Wii with my mates! It's such a good game. Love it's music.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

After finishing my all-confidants-maxed guided run for Persona 5, and spent a good hour or two to ensure I encountered and got the last two Treasure Demons, I chose to start a new playthrough of Tales of Berseria.

I also plugged my PSP back in and started a new file for Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3.
Page 266 of 274 [ 10935 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 274  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station