Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 29 of 41[ 1610 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next

Re: Rate the Last Movie you SawTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Quote:
Happened in my dreams once though yeah it's pretty prime for something like that though I don't know if Court Dramas as a televised product go down as well in Japan as they do in America.

If that ever happened, it wouldn't be televised probably. Most anime see profit through home video sales. Something like Steins;Gate wasn't televised, yet it was pretty popular.

Hmmm fair enough but I guess I meant is there a market for an anime Court Drama over in Japan? Didn't think they especially cared about Court Dramas and I'm wondering whether it would be bought by anyone who didn't play Ace Attorney.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Quote:
Hmmm fair enough but I guess I meant is there a market for an anime Court Drama over in Japan? Didn't think they especially cared about Court Dramas and I'm wondering whether it would be bought by anyone who didn't play Ace Attorney.

Hey, if the can make anime out of Higurashi and Chaos;Head, two pretty obscure visual novels; they can make an adaption of Ace Attorney. Whether or not it's court drama doesn't really matter.

迷探偵

Pierre wrote:
I don't see why not. The movie was mostly successful with critics and at the Japanese box office. The post-credits scene at the end of the movie could possibly be a "trailer" of sorts for the sequel.

I'm more interested in seeing an anime adaption of Phoenix Wright. Given the art style and story of the games; I can't believe that hasn't happened yet.

Happened in my dreams once though yeah it's pretty prime for something like that though I don't know if Court Dramas as a televised product go down as well in Japan as they do in America.

But Japanese wouldn't look at a GS series as a courtroom drama. It would be seen as a proper mystery/detective series (which it is), and that is one of the most succesful genres in Japan. You'd be surprised at how many detective series/movies are broadcast every week in Japan.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ace Sidekick!

I give Don Bluth's Thumbelina an 8 out of 10.

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

Pacific Rim gets an "I was grinning the entire time because everything was right"/10

It also gets a "Go fucking see it"/10

Super High-School Level Galaxy Defender

Mac & Devin Go To High School gets a 8/10 because some parts of that movie - probably on purpose - don't make any damn sense. Pretty well-made movie though, and with two guys like Wiz and Snoop, the soundtrack is absolutely spotless.

Fate Testarossa

Watched Pacific Rim yesterday. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. The action was AMAZING, but the plot was too predictable. :/

Fate is made by クロス

Ace Sidekick!

The Tokyo Godfathers 8.5/10

This movie nearly gave me a heartattack a few times.

But some parts colored me confused...Oh, before anyone decides to watch this movie is a bit mature.

Emiko Gale wrote:
The Tokyo Godfathers 8.5/10

This movie nearly gave me a heartattack a few times.

But some parts colored me confused...Oh, before anyone decides to watch this movie is a bit mature.

This is the End 9/10

the movie was hilarious it had me laughing throughout the whole movie and awesome how the characters all used their actual actor names when referring to eachother :keiko:

Saw The Shawshank Redemption for the first time. 10/10

Words cannot truly describe this masterwork of a film. You rarely see this type of genuine cinema. This is the type of film that comes only once ever ten or so years. One of those movies that stays with you for months, if not years. Simply put, a masterpiece. Go see it.

Saw The Shawshank Redemption for the first time. 10/10

Words cannot truly describe this masterwork of a film. You rarely see this type of genuine cinema. This is the type of film that comes only once ever ten or so years. One of those movies that stays with you for months, if not years. Simply put, a masterpiece. Go see it.

i never seen the movie could you give me a overview of it?

Quote:

The less you know about this movie going in, the much better your viewing experience is. But I can give you a brief synopsis. Beginning in 1947, Tim Robins plays a banker named Andy Dufresne, who's been cheated on by his wife. She and her lover are both found dead, and Dufresne is the prime suspect. Wrongly convicted off of circumstantial evidence, Andy is sentence to two life terms at Shawshank State Penitentiary. There, he meets Red, played by Morgan Freeman. He's well-known among the inmates of the prison, and is friendly with the guards; allowing him to secure anything for anyone such as cigarettes, liquor, gum, etc. The film goes through Robins' many years spent at Shawshank. The themes of loneliness, hopelessness, and the breaking point of the human mind are the main themes here. It asks does a man truly wish to be free, if all he's known is a prison his entire life? I won't spoil anything else from here. You really have to see it for yourself.

Quote:

The less you know about this movie going in, the much better your viewing experience is. But I can give you a brief synopsis. Beginning in 1947, Tim Robins plays a banker named Andy Dufresne, who's been cheated on by his wife. She and her lover are both found dead, and Dufresne is the prime suspect. Wrongly convicted off of circumstantial evidence, Andy is sentence to two life terms at Shawshank State Penitentiary. There, he meets Red, played by Morgan Freeman. He's well-known among the inmates of the prison, and is friendly with the guards; allowing him to secure anything for anyone such as cigarettes, liquor, gum, etc. The film goes through Robins' many years spent at Shawshank. The themes of loneliness, hopelessness, and the breaking point of the human mind are the main themes here. It asks does a man truly wish to be free, if all he's known is a prison his entire life? I won't spoil anything else from here. You really have to see it for yourself.

Oh okie now i remember this movie... Family Guy made fun of it one time :keiko: i know its based off of Stephen King Book

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

kwando wrote:
Watched Pacific Rim yesterday. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. The action was AMAZING, but the plot was too predictable. :/

I'd say the same thing. Just saw it today. I loved the action, and the SFX was amazing! Characters, plot, and dialogue were cheesy. Though it was a good homage to the kaiju and mecha genres of Japanese culture I felt that there were not enough drills. Drills would've made the movie 1000x better.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Blak The Great wrote:
kwando wrote:

I'd say the same thing. Just saw it today. I loved the action, and the SFX was amazing! Characters, plot, and dialogue were cheesy. Though it was a good homage to the kaiju and mecha genres of Japanese culture I felt that there were not enough drills. Drills would've made the movie 1000x better.

I just came back from watching Pacific Rim. Gotta say, it was amazing. The only problem was that the human story felt a little dry and the plot pretty paper-thin. Still, everything else makes up for it. I love how it pays tribute to Japanese anime and films like you said, but also Western science fiction like Blade Runner. This is no doubt the best film of the summer.

4.5 stars out of 5.

Gettin' Old!

*extends finger in a way that implies disagreement*

WRONG!

The World's End is the best film of the summer!

Pacific Rim was good but some of the most interesting mechs were taken out before you really got to see them do anything....also someone really should have died at the end based on how they were setting it up.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I saw Despicable me 2 a week ago i give it 9/10 I loved the movie it had me laughing almost throughout the entire movie especially the end with
Spoiler:
The Minions singing the YMCA song :keiko:
I admit it is better than the second one and i loved that the minions played a bigger role in the movie i also loved the love interest between Gru and Lucy Wild it was cute how their personality's worked for eachother and Agnes was just so adorable the whole movie :sparkly-maggey:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Pierre wrote:

WRONG!

Pacific Rim was good but some of the most interesting mechs were taken out before you really got to see them do anything....also someone really should have died at the end based on how they were setting it up.

Pacific Rim was racist. As a Chinese person, I couldn't help but feel offended at how the white man was able to beat all the Chinese people at martial arts. Not to mention the fact that
Spoiler:
Typhoon, the team piloted by the three Chinese brothers, were taken out first. They even had the coolest Jaegar! And that ending! Bullshit. White man gets to live happily ever after with his Japanese girlfriend? Bullshit.

I'm being somewhat serious.

Quote:

Never saw it. I don't think it's out in America yet and this is the first I've heard of it. If it's that good, I'll probably check it out.

Quote:

Spoiler: Pacific Rim deaths
People DID die. Stacker Pentecost and Chuck Hansen sacrificed themselves at the end, remember? Very few Hollywood films have the balls to kill off their main character, and I don't think Pacific Rim would have ended that well if they did.

Quote:
Pacific Rim was racist. As a Chinese person, I couldn't help but feel offended at how the white man was able to beat all the Chinese people at martial arts. Not to mention the fact that

Spoiler:
Typhoon, the team piloted by the three Chinese brothers, were taken out first. They even had the coolest Jaegar! And that ending! Bullshit. White man gets to live happily ever after with his Japanese girlfriend? Bullshit.

Racist? I really hope you're joking. I'm half-Chinese, and I was not offended by this film in the least. This film isn't about Chinese vs. white people, but Jaegers vs. Kaijus. So what if any of that happens? Those are very minor details that mean nothing compared to the big picture. A white man beat some Chinese at kung-fu. So did a black man in the Karate Kid remake.

I didn't think the ending was that bad. Sure, it's Hollywood; but there have been far worse and cliched endings.

Blak The Great wrote:
Pierre wrote:

WRONG!

Spoiler:

I'm being somewhat serious.

someone had to give the African American people a break from sacrificing themselves in hollywood movies :keiko:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Quote:

Spoiler:

Racist? I really hope you're joking. I'm half-Chinese, and I was not offended by this film in the least. This film isn't about Chinese vs. white people, but Jaegers vs. Kaijus. So what if any of that happens? Those are very minor details that mean nothing compared to the big picture. A white man beat some Chinese at kung-fu. So did a black man in the Karate Kid remake.

You cut out the part where I said I was somewhat serious, so calm your tits.

Spoiler: Pacific Rim deaths
People DID die. Stacker Pentecost and Chuck Hansen sacrificed themselves at the end, remember? Very few Hollywood films have the balls to kill off their main character, and I don't think Pacific Rim would have ended that well if they did.

Spoiler:
Pierre's referring to boring main character guy. Totally would've been okay with him dying.

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: Pacific Rim....and Armageddon I guess
I think they clicked too many heroic sacrifice buttons to pull the main character back alive from it. Is what I mean. People died in the end but a very specific person should have died. You don't get the news that "Manual activation is required" and go "Oh that's fine I'll have plenty of time to escape". That's the very same ploy that required Bruce Willis stay behind in Armageddon to detonate the nuke. Point is I think they went too far off the deep end of sacrifice, bringing him back after that just felt too cheesy for my liking.

Also yes, the American lead was pretty dull Blak.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
You cut out the part where I said I was somewhat serious, so calm your tits.

Sorry, but you might want to write that in a font larger than 0.5. I completely missed it and just thought it was some random line segment. :yuusaku:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Pierre's referring to boring main character guy. Totally would've been okay with him dying.

Spoiler: Main Character of Pacific Rim
Boring? He's far from being the most in-depth movie protagonist, but he is in no ways uninteresting. While I do agree that some of the characters can be a bit bland, there's been far worse in sci-fi cinema.

If someone has seen The Conjuring please post a review of it so i know if its worth watching it when i go with my girl this weekend :hotti:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Quote:
Spoiler:

Boring? He's far from being the most in-depth movie protagonist, but he is in no ways uninteresting. While I do agree that some of the characters can be a bit bland, there's been far worse in sci-fi cinema.

Just because there's been worse characters in other sci-fi movies doesn't mean that Mr. Boring Jaeger Pilot Protagonist can't be considered an uninteresting character.

Gettin' Old!

Blak The Great wrote:
Quote:
Spoiler:

Just because there's been worse characters in other sci-fi movies doesn't mean that Mr. Boring Jaeger Pilot Protagonist can't be considered an uninteresting character.

He's got a point professor. Worse character's don't automatically make him more acceptable though I don't think there's that many boring Sci-fi folks out there.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:

Not really. I felt connected enough to him. The overall acting in the film I guess could be considered as "over-the-top," but for a movie of this type, it fits perfectly. This isn't a type of film where you try to ponder its themes. It's simply a fun, action-packed movie with dazzling effects as well as homages to Japanese cinema and anime. I personally didn't really any problems with the characters, but that's just my opinion.

I also agree a lot with The Amazing Atheist's review of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUnsgjyzCVI

Also, a bunch of Japanese directors like Hideo Kojima really enjoyed it as well.

Quote:
He's got a point professor. Worse character's don't automatically make him more acceptable though I don't think there's that many boring Sci-fi folks out there.

Have you even seen the Star Wars prequels? And like I mentioned before, I didn't find him bland. In fact, perhaps one could consider him as a "blank canvas" sort of character where you can fill his shoes with yourself.

Gettin' Old!

Quote:

Not really. I felt connected enough to him. The overall acting in the film I guess could be considered as "over-the-top," but for a movie of this type, it fits perfectly. This isn't a type of film where you try to ponder its themes. It's simply a fun, action-packed movie with dazzling effects as well as homages to Japanese cinema and anime. I personally didn't really any problems with the characters, but that's just my opinion.

I also agree a lot with The Amazing Atheist's review of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUnsgjyzCVI

Also, a bunch of Japanese directors like Hideo Kojima really enjoyed it as well.

Quote:

Have you even seen the Star Wars prequels? And like I mentioned before, I didn't find him bland. In fact, perhaps one could consider him as a "blank canvas" sort of character where you can fill his shoes with yourself.

Not saying I didn't like the film man, just didn't find the main character stunning. The commander and the aussies were far more entertaining. Hell the techies too were more interesting.

By the way did anyone else feel an unusual kind of fear when the monsters rip open the control center of the Jaegers?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Quote:
Not saying I didn't like the film man, just didn't find the main character stunning. The commander and the aussies were far more entertaining. Hell the techies too were more interesting.

By the way did anyone else feel an unusual kind of fear when the monsters rip open the control center of the Jaegers?

Never said that the main character was stunning. I'm just saying that he's serviceable for me personally as the protagonist. I do agree though that the supporting characters were stronger.

I saw the film in IMAX, so yeah I did. :meekins:

Just saw Forrest Gump. 10/10

What's there to say, really? It's a classic film that demonstrates that no matter what we go through in life, there's always a light at the end.

Has anyone seen The conjuring? i wanna know if it was good or not?

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

Sharknado. As a comedy, I'd give it an 8 or 9/10. As a serious movie, a 1/10. It's so bad, and I can't believe I'm telling you this, but watch it. It's one of those movies that are so bad, you have to see it to believe it exists.

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
Sharknado. As a comedy, I'd give it an 8 or 9/10. As a serious movie, a 1/10. It's so bad, and I can't believe I'm telling you this, but watch it. It's one of those movies that are so bad, you have to see it to believe it exists.

My girlfriend is nodding her head in agreement :b33r:

Just saw The Deer Hunter. 4/5.

Overall, it's a splendidly told story full of raw emotion and what war can truly do to a man's mind. The acting is superb and everything is believable even if some of the historical accuracy is up for debate. The only problem that I had was the slow pace of overly long running time of it all. Still, I do recommend it if you have a lot of time on your hands and want to see one of the most powerful war films ever made.

Plus, it gave Hideo Kojima the inspiration for Solid Snake's headband and many of the themes do feel very Metal Gear-esque. :godot:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Just saw The Deer Hunter. 4/5.

Overall, it's a splendidly told story full of raw emotion and what war can truly do to a man's mind. The acting is superb and everything is believable even if some of the historical accuracy is up for debate. The only problem that I had was the slow pace of overly long running time of it all. Still, I do recommend it if you have a lot of time on your hands and want to see one of the most powerful war films ever made.

Plus, it gave Hideo Kojima the inspiration for Solid Snake's headband and many of the themes do feel very Metal Gear-esque. :godot:

Christopher Walken! NOOOO!!! Don't do it!!!!

Your Heresy Will Stay Your Feet

White House Down: 8/10

I really enjoyed watching this movie. I think it had a good balance of seriousness and comedy and I think Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx did a really good performance in the movie. Although there were some parts where the characters acted completely stupid, I still really enjoyed the movie.
ImageImage
Repede wrote:
Yes, I'm a dog that smokes a pipe and owns an Xbox Live account... So what?

Saw the Wolverine today. 4/5

First off, its miles better than Origins (which I don't think is as bad as people say it is). However this isn't simply Origins 2, but a followup to The Last Stand. While still having a few connections to that film, it smartly distances itself by being a stand-alone. Wolverine improves upon every aspect of its predecessor, particularly in the "human" aspect of the titular character. We understand Wolverine better this time around, and we feel for the man who seems to lose every person he loves. I absolutely loved the Japanese setting. All the other X-Men films (with the possible exception of First Class) have that drab and gray feel to them, but Wolverine stands out by being in a truly exotic setting. Much like how Wolverine can't fit in with the rest of the world, the same goes for him being in Japan even more so. He truly is a foreigner, a gaijin unfamiliar with the language or culture; but tries to do what he does best: surviving. For a majority of the film, we see Wolverine in his weakest state as a mortal man who can be hurt, or even worse killed. Haunted by the death of his love Jean Grey, Wolverine is pushed to the limits both physically and psychologically.

The action set-pieces are truly a marvel to look at, with exciting fight scenes and martial arts throughout the picture. Unlike the previous X-Men films, I think that the CGI was pretty good this time around. I'm a huge fan of samurai, and the Wolverine doesn't skimp out on the steel blades and epic battles.

If there are any problems, it's that the final act gets bogged down by cartoonish villains and a major plot twist that I could easily see early on. Apparently some of the Japanese characters are played by Chinese and Korean actors as well. Knowing Hollywood, this isn't too unexpected but it is disappointing since Japanese culture is such a central plot point. The actual cast though is pretty strong, with Hugh Jackman obviously being excellent with his rough and gruff personality.

Overall though, The Wolverine is the movie based on the character that we've all been wanting from the very beginning. Going into the theater, I knew exactly what I was getting and wasn't disappointed leaving. Out of all the X-Men films, this is the second best next to First Class.

Spoiler: Post Credits Spoiler
It's was also a surprise to see the post-credits scene with Charles Xavier and Magneto briefly returning. No doubt this is to tie in with the upcoming Days of Future Past film, but I have no idea how they're going to address the pretty large continuity holes that First Class introduced.

It's sort of a shame that we'll being going back to the "regular" type of X-Men films, but if anything The Wolverine is a well-earned gift for the die-hard fans. Problems aside, it's a film that I highly recommend. Dig in.

Ace Sidekick!

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

5/5 :)

I usually don't like teenager movies but this was amazing! I'm still crying.

State Alchemist

8/10

The Invincible Iron Man

It brought a very unique twist to Tony's origin story, as well as reinvent the Mandarin in a way that seems a little more dignifying than in Iron Man 3, to be honest. Although I felt like the final battle was a little bit short and not much of a battle, and the ending left me wanting for a little more to be resolved. Also the CGI blended with regular 2D animation can be a little jarring.

Last week I had a sort of Kubrick marathon, with me seeing a majority of these films for the first time.

The Shining. 4.5/5
One of the most chilling horror films of all time. It's cunningly paced, amazingly acted, and totally engrossing. The only problem is the overall vagueness of the plot. I've looked up tons of analysis of this movie, and I have no idea where these people got their interpretations from. Kubrick gives very little clues on what the film's real message is supposed to be, and that's what's preventing me from giving a perfect score. Hollywood usually treats audiences like idiots trying to explain EVERYTHING to us, but here Kubrick does the opposite. He doesn't reveal enough.

Full Metal Jacket. 4/5
The first half is funny as hell with the boot camp scenes. I think the movie gets a little weaker by the second half, but the tense sniper battle scene at the end makes up for it. Plus, it influenced a key scene in the original Metal Gear Solid.

A Clockwork Orange. 4/5
An interesting psychological thriller that delves into the depths of an insane criminal's mind. I enjoyed its themes, but I think that it was too vulgar for its own good. Because of that, I already know that people will turn away from it. Still, if you can stomach that sort of thing I recommend it.

Dr. Strangelove. 5/5
The quintessential political satire. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but immensely powerful in its display of the futility of war and the stupidity of both sides. The humor may be a bit dark for some, but that's the whole point.

2001: A Space Odyssey. 5/5
I saw this a few years ago and its my favorite film of all time. Yeah, I know its slow paced; but Kubrick isn't a conventional director. The way he makes the audience ponder these themes is simply amazing and the cinematography and soundtrack is breathtaking. A must see.
Page 29 of 41 [ 1610 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios