Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 4[ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: The Kindaichi Case FilesTopic%20Title

DetectiveTohru

Ash wrote:
Did some reading the last few days:

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R 1[i]: the currently running series, which lends its title to the TV show. Hajime and Miyuki work a part time job during a test panel for a ski resort. Of course, murder happens. Or does it? This story, while doing nothing really surprising for the series, has some points of interest, as it deals with disappearing people and bodies, so it's never really clear whether something really has happened (of course, considering this is [i]Kindaichi Shounen, something has happened). In fact, I liked this opening story better than most of the stories in the 20th Anniversary series.

Oh, and funny that they used the opening scene of this story, as the opening scene of the currently running TV show!

Takatoo Shounen no Jikenbo (AKA Takato's Side): hey, you can read it for free through Kodansha's MangaBox (even in English!). But I wouldn't. Granted, the idea of an one-shot exploring Takato sounds alluring, but the result is 1) a story that is basically the same as the Seven School Mysteries of Fudou High (Takato joins magic club at school, upperclassmen get killed in locked room and disappears...), 2) with a trick so easy to see that you'd hardly need Takato for that. Pretty disappointing.

But wasn't 'Takato Shounen' fanmade or something? It had quite a few plot holes as far as I'm concerned.

迷探偵

Nope, not fanmade, it's made by Amagi & Satou, and part of the canon, like the Akechi shounen stories.

Not sure if the upcoming holiday spin-off's considered canon too though... >_>
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

...I didn't solve it :yogi:

I picked out the killer really early, though.
Spoiler:
What was his motive, though? Scanlations end right after they explain the tricks, but right before they (presumably) go into his sob story. (I don't own any iOS things, so can't read it on mangabox.)

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

Scanlations? As the series was released both in Japanese and English at the same time, I assume it's just scans, rather than that someone actually put the effort in a new translation, right? >_>

Spoiler: Takato's Side
Murderer was taking a page from the Emperor from Star Wars. He recognized the stroke of evil genius in Takato which he also (thought he) had, and killed those who were drawing Takato to the light side. And then Takato said his crimes were ugly :P

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

Idk. It was in English... I just always assume those are scanlations xP

Spoiler: Kindaichi
Heh. Even as a standalone murderer, Takato is one of my favorites just because of "I get that you wanted to kill these people, but why did you do it with such a crazy plan!?" "Because killing them normally would've been boring!"

DetectiveTohru

Well it was filled with holes... And Takato I guess doesn't understand the ways of how the police can find out the time of death or something...

Anyway if you want something awesomely suspensful that also has pretty nonsensical ending and reasoning there, you should try "Doubt" by Tonogai Yoshiki. It's Horror that tries to be mystery but I thought the atmosphere in that is one of the best I've seen... Really good artwork too, the pages don't feel completely wasted.

I don't think I've seen anyone make a review of Doubt yet anyway...

1000% Knight

I've already read Doubt, actually. It's... so silly xD
Spoiler: Doubt
How the heck did she fake her death, anyway?! xD I don't think they ever explained it.

DetectiveTohru

Spoiler: Doubt
I think it was something about hypnotism... That series makes hypnotism look like a form of dark magic.

Which reminded me of that one Death Note ripoff series but that was just so bad that I don't want to remember the name.

1000% Knight

Doubt: Heh, probably something like that. Have you read Ou-sama Game? (If you haven't, don't.)

Death Note ripoff(?): Mirai Nikki/Future Diary?

DetectiveTohru

Nah, Lost+Brain... Take a look...

Don't call me Shirley

Does anyone know if there's a list of the upcoming Kindaichi R episodes somewhere ? Or will they be unveiled along their airing ?

迷探偵

There's no full list in advance, so you'll just have to follow the series and check the previews for the next week, or check the official site (http://www.ytv.co.jp/kindaichi_r/index.html). Next up is one based on one of those funny inverted short stories by the way.

1000% Knight

Welp, I just finished watching the first case of the new anime.

...That was silly.

I would have forgiven it all if the person Kindaichi asked to collect info was Itsuki rather than Kenmochi

迷探偵

I haven't really watched the anime; I didn't like the original live action special, I didn't really like the manga version, so I was quite sure I wasn't going to like the anime version either :P It just feels too different...

Oh, there's a new live action TV series coming! While I didn't like the story of last year's TV special (^the Kowloon treasure story), I did appreciate the direction the team was going for (based on Tsutsumi Yukihiko's [TRICK, 20th Century Boys] original drama series starring Doumoto Tsuyoshi), and I quite liked this year's adaptation of Gokumonjuku Satsujin Jiken, so looking forward to it!

Don't call me Shirley

It just came to my mind that anyone reading this topic and wanting to find out more regarding Kindaichi will likely browse wikipedia for it. Don't. Just don't. I don't know who the heck is the complete moron that wrote the characters description, but he included every single spoiler he could think of regarding them, adding also one shot characters descrptions that have no relevance to the main cast just so he could spoil the episode they appear in.

Art Person

I started watching the anime series of Kindaichi Shounen and I'm enjoying it! It's a lot more serious than Detective Conan, and a little too much indiscriminate killings if you ask me, but still I want to keep watching.
Also:
Spoiler: plot
Is there a common theme where all killers die in the end? The teacher was stabbed, that student blew himself up, and 'Mr. Redrum' burned herself

迷探偵

The series is highly formulaistic and that particular point occurs very often especially in the earlier stories, but it becomes less as the series continues. Hajime's speeches, don't however.

There's also that 'running gag' with the murders that... (probably kinda spoilerific until you have seen about half of the original series, I guess):

Spoiler:
An insane amount of victims and murderers are attached in one way or another to Fudou High (student and teachers)

Don't call me Shirley

SuperAj3 wrote:
I started watching the anime series of Kindaichi Shounen and I'm enjoying it! It's a lot more serious than Detective Conan, and a little too much indiscriminate killings if you ask me, but still I want to keep watching.
Also:
Is there a common theme where all killers die in the end? The teacher was stabbed, that student blew himself up, and 'Mr. Redrum' burned herself

Glad to know you're liking it ! Yeah, the series is kind of a whodunnit/slasher blend, so bloodbaths are quite common :shoe: when done right, it really sets a creepy and thrilling atmosphere we typically don't see in Conan, though.

Also :

Spoiler:
It IS a common theme, and sadly deaths tend to get more formulaic, and dumber later on since Kindaichi should have learned by then to incapacitate the killer before he can attempt anything. You might have a couple surprises, though

Art Person

Shtak wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:
Also:

Glad to know you're liking it ! Yeah, the series is kind of a whodunnit/slasher blend, so bloodbaths are quite common :shoe: when done right, it really sets a creepy and thrilling atmosphere we typically don't see in Conan, though.

Also :

Spoiler:
It IS a common theme, and sadly deaths tend to get more formulaic, and dumber later on since Kindaichi should have learned by then to incapacitate the killer before he can attempt anything. You might have a couple surprises, though

Spoiler:
By formulaic, do you mean it gets too repetitive? At least the last two cases I saw didn't end in death, one of the Hajime was like "Screw this, I'll just save him" (This was the case where Midori was actually a guy in disguise. I forget the case name.)

Also, I found that Kindaichi has a new series airing this year! I watched the first case (The Kowloon Treasure murder case) and even after many years, the anime is just like the 1998 series (Kindaichi's monologues and all.)
Spoiler: Kindaichi R
Although they really made it fit into the modern times. It's been years and Kindaichi hasn't aged, and yet somehow uses smartphones and apps to solve mysteries. I found that kinda funny. The only thing that didn't make sense was that material that reshaped in water, which was way too crazy to even guess.

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

DetectiveTohru

It's the same with Conan too with the smartphones atm, so Kindaichi isn't alone when it comes to that.
Spoiler: Next volume spoiler

It's not that bad honestly... Timeless universes.
Sometimes drama is cool and it's necessary to set certain atmosphere around the case and make it more memorable.

One of the problem with the series is indeed that the characters don't learn anything. Maybe it's the fact that the cast needs character development or fleshing out? Although that may be a bit too much asked depending on how the writers are limiting their work since it's episodic. For some reason the recurring characters do seem to know the cast so I don't really understand... That obviously means that the time does pass in a fleeting comic book timeline/whatever it was called.

I was just reading bomber case in DC and it's kind of hard not to start comparing the series here. It's where Sera was trying to get the snipers to kill the dude, until Ran and Conan showed her that there is another way to deal with the case, instead of let the real culprit get away and the bomber die. After that Sera seemed to change a bit and try to understand them instead of questioning their methods or other silly things and she kind of cares about the characters in her own weird way, I like the scene where Heiji tells Sera that she can't come to that one building where they were supposed to go to solve a case xD...I do wish that the people that are at morally wrong/bad side would do a suicide more often in Conan, though.
Same with Amuro, he was too childish during his introductory case that he couldn't think straight and just tried to push Kogoros friend as the culprit because he has some kind of unhealthy superiority complex with everyone (Shuiichi). Although I think he's more of a Joker-type where you can't really tell the characters personality or character traits since he keeps switching between serious-normal-clown.
Other people like Haibara, Subaru, Takagi and Sato come to mind also.

About the latest episode... I like Takato alot (even if he has a rehashed backstory) and I'm really hyped to see the current case get finished so I can mini-marathon it. I don't like to say this but sadly I really disliked the "Takato Shounen no Jikenbo" series. It's the perfect example of why shock value, and badly done at that, doesn't mean that the quality is suddenly up there.

Anyway there is this "Kindaichu Shounen no Ippaku Futsuka Shouryokou" which I assume is a new series or something, haven't checked it out myself. Anyone read it yet?

迷探偵

I like how these stories have shifting time settings though, it allows the writers to incorporate newer technology for their mystery plots. I mean, could we really see Conan still making phone calls with a bentou box in this time and age?

SuperAj3 wrote:
Also, I found that Kindaichi has a new series airing this year! I watched the first case (The Hong Kong Poison Dragon case) and even after many years, the anime is just like the 1998 series (Kindaichi's monologues and all.)
Spoiler: Kindaichi R
Although they really made it fit into the modern times. It's been years and Kindaichi hasn't aged, and yet somehow uses smartphones and apps to solve mysteries. I found that kinda funny. The only thing that didn't make sense was that material that reshaped in water, which was way too crazy to even guess.

Trivia about The Kowloon Treasure Murder Case (spoilers):
Spoiler:
The whole story was originally written for a live action TV special, including the metal-part, but when the production team calculated the costs, they discovered it would cost a fortune to do that hanger-trick in real life (with the actual metal). I can't remember the actual amount, but maybe even more than the production costs of the show itself. In the end, they did it with CG. Guess the murderer had to be insanely wealthy

Hatshinit wrote:
Anyway there is this "Kindaichu Shounen no Ippaku Futsuka Shouryokou" which I assume is a new series or something, haven't checked it out myself. Anyone read it yet?

Just a gag-manga, and not a funny one either.

DetectiveTohru

Ash wrote:
Hatshinit wrote:

Just a gag-manga, and not a funny one either.

Oh... OK.

Don't call me Shirley

[quote="SuperAj3"]
Spoiler:
By formulaic, do you mean it gets too repetitive? At least the last two cases I saw didn't end in death, one of the Hajime was like "Screw this, I'll just save him" (This was the case where Midori was actually a guy in disguise. I forget the case name.)
[/quote="SuperAj3"]

Spoiler:
Yep, kinda repetitive and predictable. It's one of those cases where series overuse some tropes to the point that when you look back, it makes no sense at all to think that such or such kind of event happened dozens of times without the characters learning anything. It's a recurring problem with the detective genre, with the authors generally putting care into the tricks and, if we're lucky, into the characters/motive, but executing their ideas the exact same way each time. But as you could see, surprises happen sometimes :shoe:

Also please make sure you watch the series in order and avoid reading anything at all related to it, since there's some continuity to some extent, you could get spoiled about some episodes you have yet to see !

Art Person

Shtak wrote:
Spoiler:
Yep, kinda repetitive and predictable. It's one of those cases where series overuse some tropes to the point that when you look back, it makes no sense at all to think that such or such kind of event happened dozens of times without the characters learning anything. It's a recurring problem with the detective genre, with the authors generally putting care into the tricks and, if we're lucky, into the characters/motive, but executing their ideas the exact same way each time. But as you could see, surprises happen sometimes :shoe:

Also please make sure you watch the series in order and avoid reading anything at all related to it, since there's some continuity to some extent, you could get spoiled about some episodes you have yet to see !

Ah, thanks. And yeah, I've been watching the series in order (I'm one of those that doesn't like skipping cases). However I have been watching the original series and the Returns in tandem, and the current case airing (The Gokumon Juku murder case) seems to have a connection to an older episode. Luckily the whole case hasn't aired yet, so I'm hoping that I can fill in the gaps and to get the background knowledge. Although it's not that bad, considering the writers probably know some of the younger audience may not have read/watched the older cases and hence don't know some of the recurring characters.

Also, @Ash;
Spoiler:
I can't believe they were going to make the episode a live action, that material is quite expensive from what I've seen. But the killer was a famous model, so at least in the anime, it's reasonable to understand she could afford it.

Don't call me Shirley

Quote:
Ah, thanks. And yeah, I've been watching the series in order (I'm one of those that doesn't like skipping cases). However I have been watching the original series and the Returns in tandem, and the current case airing (The Gokumon Juku murder case) seems to have a connection to an older episode. Luckily the whole case hasn't aired yet, so I'm hoping that I can fill in the gaps and to get the background knowledge. Although it's not that bad, considering the writers probably know some of the younger audience may not have read/watched the older cases and hence don't know some of the recurring characters.

Yeah, I haven't watched this one yet so I don't know exactly how much is shown in the first two parts, but I'd advise against watching more until you've reached a certain point in the original series. You'll see why.

Art Person

Shtak wrote:
Yeah, I haven't watched this one yet so I don't know exactly how much is shown in the first two parts, but I'd advise against watching more until you've reached a certain point in the original series. You'll see why.

Ok then! :trucy:
Spoiler:
Where i've been watching it, Episode 21 onward seem to have been literally translated from Japanese, and so with the slightly poor wording and both English and Chinese subs covering half the screen, it's making it a little less enjoyable :beef:

1000% Knight

Shtak wrote:
Quote:

Hm? Why?

Who's come back in Returns?!

Is it Itsuki??

TELL ME IT'S ITSUKI

Art Person

Bad Player wrote:
Hm? Why?

Is it Itsuki??

TELL ME IT'S ITSUKI

Spoiler: Character returns in 'Returns' so far
So far Itsuki hasn't come back yet.

Possible returning characters are Hayami Reika (I haven't seen her in the original series yet, but she is introduced as "Someone Kindaichi met on a certain case") she's appeared in the 2nd and 3rd case, and in the 2nd replaces Miyuki in terms of being Kindaichi's 'sidekick'/partner, so she might be a main character? (There are so many Miyuki lookalikes in this series).
Gentlemen thief is back too.
Another character is the "Puppet master" Who I'm not sure is recurring either, although he is damn creepy.

Oh, and Akechi's back too.
(Obviously Kenmochi is too.)

If those characters I've mentioned have spoilers attached to them, please don't mention them, as none of their background was ever mentioned in the Returns, so I've been treating them as new characters, and haven't looked them up. (And I'm intentionally not reading into them at all, in order to keep the suspense.)

DetectiveTohru

I think Reika already appeared in the alchemy case, and I don't think her appearance really spoils anything... important... at all about her...

Don't call me Shirley

Bad Player wrote:
Shtak wrote:
Quote:

Hm? Why?

Is it Itsuki??

TELL ME IT'S ITSUKI

Gosh, another Itsuki fan, bro fist ! :shoe:

Though I must say :

Spoiler:
Technically it's a spoiler to mention Itsuki as a returning character, since he was one of the prime suspects in the lake-whatever case

DetectiveTohru

Someone said that the case would end this week and I watched the episodes and it's still going to next week.. This is taking forever now, I wonder what the pacing with the chapter count/ep is currently... Oh well...

Don't call me Shirley

In rare occurrences, the longer cases are adapted in a 5-episodes format (the deep blue massacre, the russian dolls...).

1000% Knight

Hatshinit wrote:
I think Reika already appeared in the alchemy case, and I don't think her appearance really spoils anything... important... at all about her...

She also appears in the OP, so...

Shtak wrote:
Spoiler:
Technically it's a spoiler to mention Itsuki as a returning character, since he was one of the prime suspects in the lake-whatever case

Spoiler:
Eh, that's one of the oldest cases. Plus, it's just one of the characters. And it's not like there can't be a killer who becomes a recurring character...

Besides, if you go on the official Kindaichi Case Files website, Itsuki has his own character profile. it's really not a big secret or anything :P

Art Person

Hatshinit wrote:
Someone said that the case would end this week and I watched the episodes and it's still going to next week.. This is taking forever now, I wonder what the pacing with the chapter count/ep is currently... Oh well...

So I found out the current Returns case is based off a live action film they did of the same case, and so I guess they're trying to retell the case in as much detail as possible in the Anime. tbh, I thought it would've ended after File 4,
Spoiler:
But they did at least solve half of it.

迷探偵

The current case isn't based on the live action special; both are based on the manga, it just happens that they also made a live action special of it in January.

The anime will skip next week it seems, and return (ha!) the week after together with the new live action series Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo N(eo), with the same team behind the two recent live action TV specials.

Don't call me Shirley

Looks like this season will include only 4-5 parts long cases, save for the stand alone one earlier. Great news since the 2 and 3 parts ones always feel rushed IMO !

迷探偵

Shtak wrote:
Looks like this season will include only 4-5 parts long cases, save for the stand alone one earlier. Great news since the 2 and 3 parts ones always feel rushed IMO !

Nope; the next episode (19 July) is also based on a short story, and considering it's already tagged as file 1, this case will be one of two files, as it's a really short story (just three chapters).

Don't call me Shirley

Aw. Dumb french fansub site claimed next case would be the snow ghost one >_>

迷探偵

The live-action series Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo N(eo) will start tonight with a two-hour special based on The Murderer of the Silver Screen. Preview trailers also showed that The Game Mansion Murder Case will also appear in the series.

Don't call me Shirley

Ash wrote:
The live-action series Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo N(eo) will start tonight with a two-hour special based on The Murderer of the Silver Screen. Preview trailers also showed that The Game Mansion Murder Case will also appear in the series.

Considering the Kindaichi R series has only two long story to go, I wonder if that means that some of the remaining arcs will remain exclusive to either the live action version or the anime one.

Also, the so far french-only earlier episodes (50-82) are gonna see an english release soon, some of them translated by me no less :shoe: more news soon !

Last edited by Shtak on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Page 2 of 4 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios