Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 2 of 2[ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Danganronpa F6 Post-Game ThreadTopic%20Title

I can relate to the opinions of the people appearing contradictory and difficult to satisfy, and I think the best way to solve it is by simply expressing ourselves more clearly. I won't comment much on chapter 5 as I've said my piece in my QT, and don't really understand it enough to keep up with the conversation.

I didn't really care about the cast overall, sans maybe 3-4 characters. But that's honestly pretty standard for me at this point. Although with that said, I've said over the years that the biggest roadblock I hit with Shirly (my F3 character) was not caring much about the F3 cast. Despite this, I feel even Shirly had some chemistry with a few of the characters (regardless of liking them or not), while Ciro even when showing up as a ghost had no chemistry and literally didn't have anything to say to them. The cave setting was really difficult to have FTEs in as well, with so little to do besides sitting around and talk. I read through my NinaxEvelyn fte the other day, and it was a load of fun. Also because Nina was more of a fun and expressive character than Ciro too. There's multiple factors at work here, so it's difficult to wade through them to see what the problem is. But when you get down to it, overall player burnout and just not caring is the root of most problems. Even with a limited setting, having players who care will help greatly, hence why I think these games need to go on a long break. Even if a few say they want another one right away, I feel it's best to give it some more time so more than just a few people are ready to go, else we wind up with another game with people being too burnt out to care.

As for case difficulty, I only have chapter 1 to go off of, so I'll try my best to explain. Judging from my notes, it seems to be that we have a bunch of smaller details and mysteries scattered across the alibis, with many of these mysteries being arbitrary or not that compelling. Whereas something like F5-1 was several smaller events all tied together by one (the fire), with details usually pertaining to one of these events. This made it was easier to follow and visualize as it was easy to see the connections between the different details. Sure, the hole in the door thing was a bit difficult for us to visualize, as in an actual DR game you'd get a visual of it. But we got it after many questions about it to the GMs. I consider this a more minor balance issue case 1s tend to have, some more than others (F1, F2). Going back to my earlier post about how much energy these F games require, something like 6-1 is going to take a lot more energy due to the scatteredness and irrelevance of a lot of the details than 5-1 where it's written in a way to which it's easier to categorize and group the details together. When we go back to try and solve the mysteries, it's easier to disregard the details that fall outside of the relevant categories, resulting in a more fun and less stressful trial.

Shy guy

Using F1 as a core example, I think most of the cases there didn't have too much in the way of particularly extraneous details. Even when someone's alibi had them do something not particularly related to the crime, they didn't do much in particular overall. I think after F4 when people praised the alibis for being more detailed, GMs (me included) started trying to bulk up the alibis with more details, but that might have only caused more problems than it was worth. The simplest way to make a case easier to follow is to cut down on the sheer volume of information you need to take in at the beginning, which is a very real barrier to entry. That's similar to how the actual games (not just DR ones) do it: details about the case are revealed steadily over time instead of dropping all the information at once.

I think F6-3 was the best for trying to minimise complexity in F6, but even then there were extraneous details you could probably just cut. In a well-structured mystery story alibis and other details can be revealed slowly over time. We don't have that luxury in F games, as everyone's present at the beginning and just says everything they witnessed and investigated, so to compensate individual alibis probably need to be somewhat simpler than they have been of late.

After the first few cases in F5, I soon realised I didn't need to worry about trying to conceal information or keep things intentionally vague. Mysteries tend to work out well regardless, especially if you have clear chains of deduction planned out for how the case should be solved. Like there's definitely still things you can keep secret, but for example I don't think concealing the purpose of the circles in F6-4 added to the mystery at all; instead it mostly just added artificial difficulty, which is the worst kind of difficulty. The most fun I have during mysteries is when I look at evidence, piece it together and make a deduction. Needlessly obfuscating evidence to hinder that progress doesn't actually make the case more interesting, just frustrating.

Weirdly enough, the mystery that got the most player-participation in F5 was, out of all of them, that random little crime from Eli's past. Minimal extraneous details, very low complexity, yet it also wasn't just something you could solve immediately without at least some discussion. Even when I thought the solution was clear people still managed to come up with alternate theories. Surprisingly it might be a good example to follow.

I think another problem is that the same players tend to be inactive every game. I’m really not trying to be mean, I’m not even really blaming them. Kachu, Salem, and TLF always just go radio-silent in trials. When it happens X games in a row it’s past a point where it can really be ignored. I’ll say I usually would put Matt on this list and while he could be inactive at points he at least was clearly putting effort in or had some of his posts filled with character. I thought he did a much better job than usual. And in this game aside from Chapter 2 it felt like Pancakes just vanished during trials too (funnily enough there wasn’t a single chapter this game where the killer was active during their trial). I find this really damaging to characters cause trials are usually where the most characterization can be displayed.

Honestly the worst part about this inactivity is that almost always it comes at the cost of great character concepts who would’ve added to the game—not other characters, their characters. I don’t want anyone I mentioned to be discouraged from participating, but I do think this is a big reason why the trial system needs to be revamped. It’s always the same 5-6 people participating which can end up dwindling to the same 2-3. When at best half the game isn’t participating in the core concept then it’s probably just not that fun. So maybe the games should trend towards something easier which would hopefully encourage participation across the board.

Happy Maria

Okay quick points on stuff, I confused Brandy/Satan earlier it should be the other one WC, I don't think Nail being involved in every murder would be very fun and would be overdoing his manipulation in the game, the window thing was supposed to be a distraction for Nail so that the stuff would fall onto the bed before Daniel got moved onto there (which is why the hat and stuff was undamaged), having trials be made simpler with easier to follow alibis isn't really 'revamping' the entire system but I get it but also that said it could easily backfire if made too simple ultimately but it could maybe be a better way to get inactives actually involved in the core of the game but also the burnout might be too big from the past few games so idk, and finally Monomi isn't actually that sexy. Now that I've got that outta the way I don't want to spend too much time on it so behold, some fun survey stuff!

Vices:

(Some of these were altered during the course of the game for various reasons.)

Spoiler: Oliver
Oliver's weakness is his pride of himself, and his obsession to keep a good public image. After being a bully as a teenager, he wants to make amends and bring joy to people, rather than fear or sadness. But, of course, he did do some nasty things, like beating up others with his goons, spreading rumors, and just being a downright nasty individual.

He does not want this past to follow him, but if someone found out about it, they could use it to their advantage somehow. They could potentially ruin his public image if the people heard of Oliver's true past.

Also, due to taking great pride in his appearance, if someone threatened to, say, beat him up or leave a scar, he would likely cower and do their bidding, as long as it wasn't anything overly extreme.

Spoiler: Enola
Kinda obvious lolololol *dabs*

From her perspective, her biggest flaw is an inability to communicate in a way that can be reliably understood by others.

Spoiler: Sebastian
His biggest weakness would be the secret Seb hides. The same safety mechanisms protecting him from his past trauma also lead to him having a deep, though unrecognised, fear of what would happen if the truth were to ever come to light, as it would force him to mentally return to the event that started it all.

Spoiler: Brandy
Her vice is her own self-doubt. Despite how hard she tries to keep up her positive aura and attitude, she is no stranger to feeling like a failure or a screw-up. She always feels the need to prove herself, even when she has no reason to, which can lead to her not thinking rationally and putting herself and others in danger.

Spoiler: Benjamin
Like I said, he doesn’t “have" emotions. He doesn’t relate to other people that well and can come off as inhumane. He views things too logically to the point where it could hurt others.

If something more vice-y is needed here let me know, but it seems like this fits?

Spoiler: Lavender
Lavender hides her agony and hatred for her existence, as she feels like ever since she was found near-dead on the road and repaired by a mad scientist who passed her off as his precious hand-made invention, she was stripped of her humanity. She ultimately feels like she is neither man nor machine, but a monster.
Lavender is also ashamed of being a fraud: her shows gain traction because everyone believes they are watching a brilliantly-crafted automaton perform, when in reality they are only seeing a broken woman. She loathes the idea that if she never had her accident which robbed her of her ordinary life, she would have never achieved her dream of becoming a famous ballerina. In fact, she can barely remember the life she had before she was transformed: she doesn't even know her real name. All she has become is a toy for people to be entertained by.

Spoiler: Ciro
While Ciro is difficult to grasp in terms of what he's thinking, his greatest weakness is his bafflement, when something happens that he didn't expect, or when something in his plan goes awry. He is better at preplanning than thinking on the spot. He can also be a bit brash when things aren't going to plan, as with the incident that barred him from Karate. Also bringing up his closed down karate dojo will tend to get him riled up.

Spoiler: Carrie
Ok I don't have anything specific for this but she's not a mary sue or anything. She's an uncivilized and disgusting woman with no real education. I guess she can often really *tunnel* on an objective if you get what I mean hehe.

Spoiler: Klifford
Gambling

As a result of his gambling he has developed an addiction to it and has trouble stopping. He also has been keeping it a secret from his wife and has begun drinking more, and has been having trouble sleeping as well. He also has become obsessed with money and as a result is almost always thinking about how to get more of it.

Spoiler: Bennett
Bennett is very stuck on his ideals and vision. Though he's realistic enough to know that there's no way what he wants is possibly happening in his lifetime. However, he contributes to building the 'perfect world' he dreams of by abusing his position as the Star Bounty Hunter to kill off anyone in Rattlewater he sees as pointless to society, someone who contributes nothing, just generally lazy, and all that. It isn't enough to just catch whichever criminal has a bounty on his head, if he's going to clean up society he's going to have to get his hands dirty. Whether that's a petty criminal, corporate fat cat, or just someone who lazes about all day and night doing nothing, Bennett will go out of his way to take them out, in hopes of one day reaching the utopia he dreams about.

(It's possible that he does this without abusing his position but it might be potentially more interesting if he does, doesn't really matter to me in the end.)

Spoiler: Charlie
Greed and selfishness. It's not that she can't form genuine connections with others, nor that she is always taking advantage of other people, it's just that she has an almost uncontrollable desire for material things, and when push comes to shove she will put her own safety and needs above others'. This makes her an exceedingly difficult person to depend on, and she can easily out herself as a selfish bastard if things get difficult.
Despite all that though, she views herself as justified. In her mind, people have to take care of themselves, and so going out of her way to do token good deeds as benefactor can excuse anything else she does.

Spoiler: Matt
his pride, he thinks highly of his own skills and can but heads with anyone who even questions him in his field of expertise. hes also guilty due to an incident in his backstory.

Spoiler: Micah
Stubbornness. Once their mind has been made up on a matter, they have an extremely hard time being convinced otherwise, sometimes even to the point of keeping up with things that are harming them. They do show regret the moment it ends up harming anyone else though, and bringing up previous cases of this is sure to get a strong reaction out of them.

Spoiler: Satan
Supremely prideful. Always preening, always enjoying being the center of attention. The more people like him, the better he feels about himself, so if nobody likes him (because he's kind of an asshole...)

Spoiler: Shizune
She's an extreme bibliophile; once she starts reading a (physical) book, she tends to lose track of the rest of the world around her.

Spoiler: Daniel
Some excited kid I was talking to in the bar turned to me for a few seconds and spoke up. "So, why'd you enlist, anyways?"

I had just arrived into this town, and I was already getting asked this question again. I figure I'll just give the answer I usually give these kids. Something about 'great pride' and so on. I turn to him, stare him down for a few seconds.

"What do you think, kid? Because this nation needs good people in the military." To make it more credible, I turn around and take a sip of whatever I was drinking at the time. "People with pride. People who have the will to follow through what they want. And they need stronger ones to drill them. To teach them how to behave, to make them want to serve."

He stared at me like I'd just given some sort of grand speech. He started complimenting me, but I didn't really care. Just nodded my head at the kid every now and then.

It'd destroy my life if people found out why I enlisted. It's something I keep thinking about, no matter how much I don't want to. I've become who I am because I used to be lazy. I used enlistment as a way to easily get out of my familial problems. Hell, I didn't even follow through with going to the University like my parents wanted. In their eyes, I disappointed them. In my eyes, I'd rather do the dirty work than study and become some goody two shoes.

I'd be derided if people found that out. Enlisting in the military because you're lazy? What a joke. I'd rather die than live through that.

Spoiler: Ivan
As a result of his extreme love towards the city and its residents, he frequently manipulates himself into doing negative things in order to reach a positive goal. Forgery, black market deals, etc., and in relation to the killing game, will likely try and solve things in a way that may not be beneficial for the group as a whole.

Joke Surveys:

(Try to guess who wrote which. It's not hard for some of them but others are trickier.)

Spoiler: First McWorst
Preferred method of contact: Discord

Character Name: Wun Furst
Talent: Star Racer
Physical Appearance: He looks like the guy who you'll always look at first in a lineup.
Personality: First to talk, first to laugh, first to leave when bored.
Vice: Sometimes just too damn fast.
How does your character talk?: REALLY QUICKLY
Backstory: Was the first applicant to the mayor's Star Citizen program.
Specific Event That Shaped Your Character During Their Time in Rattlewater: He ate the first doughnut ever eaten in Rattlewater.
Other Details: FIRST!!!

Preferred Role: Case 1 Victim
What is your vision for your character that makes them fit with what you chose above?: Because they're first obvs.
What is your vision for your character's story arc?: First to post, first to die.
If you have to be a killer, what would your motivation be?: Desire to be the first killer.
If you have to be a victim, how do you want your character to die?: Quickly.
If you're going to be a victim/killer, when would you like to know this?: As early as possible
What days of the week are you most free on when it comes to games like these?: Monday because it's the FIRST day of the week.
Will you be able to follow the game to the end if needed, whether you survive or not?: It's literally impossible for me to post after the FIRST chapter.
Anything else?: Last

Spoiler: General Luigi
Preferred method of contact: Slack

Character Name: Draculo II
Talent: Star Cat
Physical Appearance: White, smol
Personality: Pretty chill most of the time, but doesn't take cr*p from anyone and can be deadly
Vice: Food addiction
How does your character talk?: "Hiss"
Backstory: Was born, has lived for some time, is the official town pet now
Specific Event That Shaped Your Character During Their Time in Rattlewater: An unknown individual fed him fish food
Other Details: Dislikes chicken

Preferred Role: Case 1 Killer, Case 2-5 Killer, Survivor, Mastermind, Jumps out of the cave in the beginning then never shows up until the end
What is your vision for your character that makes them fit with what you chose above?: Likes blood
What is your vision for your character's story arc?: Brings the fish food-er to justice, maybe in a non-violent way
If you have to be a killer, what would your motivation be?: Finding fish food guy
If you have to be a victim, how do you want your character to die?: N/A, being a victim would break the lore
If you're going to be a victim/killer, when would you like to know this?: As early as possible
What days of the week are you most free on when it comes to games like these?: Monday-Sunday
Will you be able to follow the game to the end if needed, whether you survive or not?: yes
Anything else?: I can meow in 12 languages if you guys want to switch things up

Spoiler: cavemaster2330
Preferred method of contact: Discard

Character Name: Philippi Agreolus Tsheophrastus Iedastus voff Hohenheusm
Talent: Physician (but also a very talented wordsmith and comedian)
Physical Appearance: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.jpg
Personality: Likes caves
Dislikes dengue
Vice: Liked caves too much so one day he forgot to leave and died from dehydration (BUT NOT DENGUE)
How does your character talk?: "How do you take a maiden's heart? With a sharp knife and a lot of opium!"
Backstory: Cured dengue and wrote the best joke books
Specific Event That Shaped Your Character During Their Time in Rattlewater: Cured dengue
Other Details: Cured dengue

Preferred Role: All, If he dies in a cave I don't really care about the details
What is your vision for your character that makes them fit with what you chose above?: Dies in a cave
What is your vision for your character's story arc?: Dies in a cave
If you have to be a killer, what would your motivation be?: I don't care as long as he dies in a cave this is the core of the artistic vision please do not take it from me
If you have to be a victim, how do you want your character to die?: In a cave
What days of the week are you most free on when it comes to games like these?: h
Will you be able to follow the game to the end if needed, whether you survive or not?: I dunno
Anything else?: Where is Parafarenheit?

Spoiler: Last O'Blast
Preferred method of contact: Postal Service

Character Name: Omega Lahst
Talent: Star Finisher
Physical Appearance: Damn near invisible. It's rare that you'd notice him in a room, at least not until you'd noticed everyone else first.
Personality: Always has to have the last word in any conversation. Pretty annoying overall, really: just about the last guy you'd want to hang out with. Never ask him what he was up to last Wednesday.
Vice: He's always late.
How does your character talk?: Slowly, yet without putting any thought into his words at all.
Backstory: Every Wednesday, Omega goes around finishing up people's leftover food... He soon became recognised for his contributions in minimising waste and helping the environment, much to his chagrin. He really doesn't want to be known for this, and so always turns up so late for Star Citizen activities that they're already over by the time he arrives.
Specific Event That Shaped Your Character During Their Time in Rattlewater: One time he finished the mayor's sandwich, without realising the mayor had planned to come back to it. This sparked a major incident in which the mayor had the town turned upside-down in search of the illusive "Sandwich Thief", to no avail. Omega now lives in fear of ever going near the mayor's food again.
Other Details: .

Preferred Role: Last to enter the caves.
What is your vision for your character that makes them fit with what you chose above?: He's so late that the game is already over by the time he arrives. Maybe he's the guy who saves the survivors or something.
What is your vision for your character's story arc?: Turns up so late that he doesn't actually get an arc.
If you have to be a killer, what would your motivation be?: Desire to be the last killer.
If you have to be a victim, how do you want your character to die?: So slowly that he doesn't actually die until after the trial for his murder is over.
If you're going to be a victim/killer, when would you like to know this?: I'll find out when it happens
What days of the week are you most free on when it comes to games like these?: Sundays only.
Will you be able to follow the game to the end if needed, whether you survive or not?: I will be following this game even after it's long since over.
Anything else?: Last.

Wow there's way less here than I remembered there being. Anyway now's the part you all have been looking forward to:

Character Prompts:

Spoiler: Oliver
Oliver held his hands up defensively, a nervous smile coming onto his face. "Oh, this is your seat, good sir? My apologies! I thought it was unoccupied, and figured it'd be okay to sit here--"

The other, rather burly man, told him to shove off, completely interrupting Oliver's explanation. Sulking, Oliver turned around. "Alright, alright, I'm going..."

Once the man was out of earshot, Oliver huffed and crossed his arms like a petulant child. "Telling me to shove off... How rude! You'd think that he would at least try to be nicer to me. I've committed so bloody much to this town!" He threw his arms up in frustration, causing the people around him to give him looks of confusion.

"Well, I'll show him! I'll... I'll..." Oliver groaned and slumped down, defeated. "Oh, what am I saying? That man would maul me! I'd rather not have this wonderful visage damaged," he mumbled, placing a hand to his cheek. "Ah, no matter. I'll just find another seat. Let's hope that this one isn't 'taken'."

Spoiler: Enola
(I know you're expecting an Arby's fic but I don't have time sorry. Also I only just got the RB's joke why am I stupid))

"Your...table?" Enola's replied in an unnerving monotone, an expression of mild discomfort frozen on her face. "That's not your table. It's not anyone's table...You know, I knew a man who stuck joy in his blood and died under a table quite like that one...Don't you think he should get the table now, since all you fuckers denied him one his whole life?"

She suddenly turned away, as if hearing the words of an unseen companion. "Oh, sorry...You're right. This place is shitty enough already."

She clutched her notebook to her chest and walked away, apparently disregarding the food she'd just ordered.

Spoiler: Sebastian
(If it was a woman:) Seb glared at the offender for a few moments before averting his gaze. "Sorry. I know better than to let a lady get in the way of her food, and you certainly look like someone who really loves it," he remarked, before turning to leave, paying no mind to the angry retort he received.

(If it was a man:) Seb quickly averted his gaze, moving aside to give the man space. "Here. I'll find someplace else to eat," he said simply, before walking away.

(Seb at his mother's workplace, the Rattlewater General Hospital, bringing her some documents from home:)

"Thank you, Sebastian," Docia said as she took the proffered documents. "I needed these for a meeting they'd suddenly rescheduled for today, the incompetent nitwits..."

Sebastian nodded. "If that's everything, then...?" he said, already turning to leave.

"Now now, don't be in such a hurry!" Docia scolded him. "I'm on my break right now, talk with your mother some why don't you?"

"A conversation with you would make for a pretty rare experience, I suppose. Sure," Seb said drily, turning back. "When was the last time you arrived home at a reasonable hour, again?"

"Oh, you know how it is in a small town like this. Only one hospital, so few properly trained doctors... it's a wonder they even give me time to sleep! So, tell me... boring, requisite questions first, is school going well?"

"As well as always, mother."

"I hear your grades have improved lately?" Docia pressed, flashing her usual well-crafted smile. It was only by looking at her eyes that Seb could tell it was earnest this time. "Ever since... oh what was it, a year or two back? You started taking life more seriously, and it seems that's been paying off."

Seb's eyes widened for a brief moment, train of thought brushing dangerously close to the mental prison he entombed his dark memories in. But it's true, he *had* been getting better grades ever since then. Studying just hadn't seemed like such a chore after that. "Something like that. Hopefully I can make you proud."

Docia smiled again at that, though it was more of a smirk now. "You already are, with comments like that! Indeed, flattery is the fastest and most effective way to get on someone's good side. You seem to have picked that up well even without me around to teach you."

"...Hm. Sure, I guess so," Seb replied noncommittally.

(Seb at home, helping his mum in the kitchen:)

"...you know, they got a new puppy next door," Abby said, apparently inspired by the hot dogs they were making. "...It's cute," she added after a drawn-out pause.

"Dogs are quite dirty," Seb replied matter-of-factly. "And as well as cleaning up after them, you have to take them on walks, bathe them, play with them... It's a pain."

"Hm... Still, maybe we should get a dog," Abby said thoughtfully.

"...Cats are cuter, though," Seb mumbled.

Spoiler: Brandy
(Prompt) "Oh, well, I didn't see your name on it anywhere," Brandy said. "But it seems like there's more than one seat at this here table, so why don't we split ourselves a lunch? My treat."

(If someone's upset over something trivial) "You know, there's no use in crying over spilled milk. After all, you can always go back and try filling that there cup up again."

(When losing in a card game) "I should learn when to fold 'em... Yikes."

(Ordering at RB's) "Yeah uh... I'll get one of them fancy Beef 'n Cheddar sammies, please."

(When faced with a Communist) "Choke on an egg, Reddie."

Spoiler: Benjamin
Exceedingly polite but he’s not a doormat. Will always take a serious situation seriously. Often slips into conversations how miserable prison made him. Has a lot of British mannerisms.

If someone told him to shove off from his seat at RB’s he’d probably just politely tell them that he was there first, and then add some comment about how in prison doing something like that would get you stabbed in the throat.

Spoiler: Lavender
"Your seat?" Lavender blinks in confusion. "Oh...Oh dear, this must be a misunderstanding! In fact, I was sitting here just a few moments ago. Perhaps you were looking in a different direction when I was sitting down here? I suppose that's not your fault then...Hm..."

The ballerina pauses and ponders momentarily before looking around and clasping her hands together, her soft eyes lighting up. "Ah, I know what must be done! Please sir, allow me to accompany you to this new seat that has just been liberated over there, in the corner! That way we can both park our behinds in the places whence they belong. That's what is called a compromise, no? I love compromises."

"Hey, I said shove o-" The man retorts before being cut off by the ballerina.

"Oh, speaking of seats! Did you reserve your seat at the Rattlewater Theater for my show on Thursday? I'll be performing Swan Lake! I'm so happy to show everyone what I've been working on...!"

"Wh-" The man begins to reply before being interrupted again.

"Do you not recognize me? It is indeed I, Lavender Fae! Star Citizen Ballerina...I performed last week at the Theater too. And the week before that, and the week before that...Ah, perhaps you'll remember me if I demonstrate some of my signature moves."

Lavender takes a few steps back, knocking over a salt shaker and a bottle of ketchup with the key in her back. She then proceeds to perform a few pirouettes and high-kicks, singing an accompanying unintelligible tune. Was it French? Italian? She kind of sounds like she's making it up as she goes.

Lavender suddenly stops and checks the clock on the wall. "Oh dear, 1PM already? I'm terribly sorry sir, but I have practice now! I simply must go...Do enjoy your Warm Hound and your Fries of France though! I hope to see you on Thursday." The ballerina gives him a small curtsy, making sure not to knock anything else over with her key before swiftly leaving the Bistro with her feet on point.

Spoiler: Ciro
Ciro walked into the local RB’s. He went up to the counter, and placed his order:
“One Margherita Pizza my good lady,” he said, with a smile, wink, and small bow.
The waitress ignored him, and went into the back to place an order. Ciro went over to a seemingly open seat. Before he could sit down, a buff gangsta looking guy with sagging trousers pushed him off and sat down.
“Move it scrub,” said the gangster.
Ciro calmly steps out of the way.
“Okay,” he says. “But why must you take that seat? There are plenty of other seats available, no?”
“It’s got ‘da best view,” the gangster grunted.
“Yes, of course,” Ciro nodded. “You can see the lovely, gray buildings, the gum filled sidewalk, the strip club. All putting you in the good mood for an appetite. Oh, and one time I saw someone walk their dog, and the dog (removed for overly graphic content).”
The gangster looked a bit sick and turned to Ciro.
“Fine, have yer’ stupid seat. I don’t wanna eat here no more.”

Spoiler: Carrie
"Me Carrie. Carrie no like others." etc etc. Caveman linguistics.

Spoiler: Klifford
Klifford gives the angry person a warm and friendly smile. "Now friend, there's no need to be angry." He says. "I was here first, but there's still plenty of room at the table. Would you care to join me? That way we can both enjoy this seat."

Or

Klifford pulls out a sock puppet of a dog and puts it on. "Excuse me, we were here first." Klifford says, moving the sock puppet's mouth to make it look like it's speaking. "Why don't you try walking over to that table over there, it's not like you're disTABLEd or anything." He then laughs at his own joke a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶u̶n̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ as the other person looks at him like he's a total weirdo and goes to another table.

Spoiler: Bennett
Bennett orders the RB's Meaty Mound™ and happily sits down in one of the few available seats.

"Heh, guess it's my lucky day." Bennett smiles and begins to shove hunks of meat in his mouth, but he's quickly approached by a skinny man carrying an even larger pile of meat.

"Hey, pal, that seat's mine." He flexes his skinny arms. "Shove off, get your own damn seat. I gotta chow down on this chewy stuff."

Bennett looks up at the VERY rude man and blinks a few times. "Hey, buddy, listen, I didn't really see your name on that seat, and I'm not gonna lie, don't really appreciate you tellin' me to shove off."

"Though I'll tell you what," Bennett continues, "You seem to need that meat in your mouth a hell of a lot more than I do, so I'll give you the seat." He chuckles and picks up his tray of meat, letting the scrawny dude sit in the chair he claimed for himself.

The jaw of the scrawny man drops. He still sits down, shoves a piece or two of meat in his face.

Bennett chuckles to himself like all is well and good, but unfortunately he now has to eat his food standing up, which nobody likes.

(I've never been good at these)

Spoiler: Charlie
Igniter actually didn't put in anything in his survey, so I think he just sent his prompt to us separately in a google doc. Sadly I can't find it now though so you'll have to ask him to see it yourself. It wasn't RB's related though iirc.

Anyway while I'm here I'd also like to opine that Igniter's post-game meme writing wasn't really that funny to me and I feel like I've seen better from him before. Not really bad, just kinda disappointing and simplistic coming from him. I don't really blame him but also I just had to get that out sorry.

Spoiler: Matt
Matt: Looks like its mine now so maybe next time you'll actually be here in time to take it, so piss off brat its grub time and I ain't bout to let some whiny pissant come in and move me.

Spoiler: Micah
Micah is taken aback by the stranger's rude behavior for a moment, but they shrug it off and smile at him. "Now, friend, there's no need to be like that! There's a free seat right over there, see? Hey, we'd be close enough that we could even ta-"

"Not interested." He simply replied. "Are you going to move or what?"

Micah was starting to feel annoyed, but they didn't let that show on their face. "Heh, the view here must be really good-"

"Shove. Off."

The smile disappeared from Micah's face. They thought for a moment, before flashing a smug grin towards the stranger. "Ah, now I get it! You know about what I do, don't you? A shovel is but a small part of what a good archaeologist needs, though. Really, physical tools are, well, just that, in order to truly explore our history, we need-"

The stranger looked furious at this point "Just get out of my face already!"

Micah's brow furrowed. "No." They said, suddenly serious. "I was here first!"

"There's another damn seat right there!"

Micah didn't budge.

The man walked even closer towards them. "Do I have to make you?"

That's when they noticed they definitely were no match for the guy physically. Micah analyzed, the situation, then did the only logical thing.

And that's how they were banned from RB's for running away with one of their chairs.

Spoiler: Satan
Ah, yes. One of the RB's many... patrons. I mask my annoyance with a fake yawn, pressing a hand to my mouth to reset my mask.

"This seat is yours, good sir? Why, you walked in not two minutes ago. Therefore, that'd make it my seat, not yours. However, if you need to have some sort of victory today, have faith in the sense that you, in your dirty flannel and ripped jeans, have sufficiently scared me into leaving this fine establishment. Good day, sir."

With that, I picked up my wonderful burger that I had been planning on enjoying and strutted out of there. The man who annoyed me would soon find my own way of revenge at his very doorstep later...

Spoiler: Shizune
Shizune narrowed her eyes slightly at the rude guy before typing up a letter.

Dear Sir,
I was unaware that this table was reserved, and for that, I apologize. However, I would like to point out that there is no need for hostility and discourtesy for a simple mistake. While I will hold no grudge against you, I do hope that in the future, you will take care to treat others in the same way you would wish to be treated in their position.
Regards,
Shizune Takata

She set the message on the table and wheeled herself away without waiting for a reply.

(Her openings and closings will vary but she'll almost always 'talk' in letter format)

Spoiler: Daniel
Daniel sits down on a chair next to a randomly chosen table. It's 1 PM and there's a lot of people in the bistro. After all, it IS a famous restaurant.

As he takes out the chair, some random dude with blonde hair, jeans and trousers approaches him and pushes him away from the chair.

"Shove off, cunt! This is my table!" He claims, leaning in.

This elicits a very harsh glare from Daniel. He's not usually one to start fights, but the last table's pretty far away. And he doesn't want to walk. "This is my table, kid. Leave." He goes to pull out the chair once more.

The dude, who we'll call Chad, looks pretty pissed. "Who are you calling a kid, huh?!" Chad attempts to push Daniel away with a little more force.

Keyword 'attempts'. Daniel intercepts his arm, pulling Chad towards himself.

"Kid, listen up. Or maybe I should call you a child." He tries his best to loom over the guy who'd just tried to push him over. "Either you fuck off and leave, or I make you fuck off and leave. I'm not in the mood for this bullshit. You hear? Now, scram." He lets go of the guy, giving one last glare.

Chad accepts his defeat and mumbles some curses, throwing his hands up in the air and heading towards a different table. A waiter eventually comes over to Daniel's table as he sits down with a sigh. "Everything good here? I saw him trying to push you over."

Daniel looks up at the waiter and clears his throat, trying to get rid of the gruffness he'd used in his voice earlier. "Yes. Everything's fine. Kids these days have no manners."

Spoiler: Ivan
"Courage! Strength! Spirit! Those are the core values by which I shall defend my city! You will not get in my way!"

Intro:

"Halt..! If I am to acknowledge your presence, then you must first acknowledge mine."

Ivan pulled out a sword from behind his back and slammed it on the ground, glaring at his fellow captives. His nostrils flared as he addressed the group.

"I am Ivan Ivanov! I protect this city and all that is good for it! And it is clear to me that what we are currently experiencing is something I must eradicate! But not to worry. It shall take me no time at all. Perhaps someone here would like to time me."

"Two seconds!" he glared, while holding up two fingers. "Two seconds, and any case will be mine! Including this one...what we find ourselves in..."

He snapped his fingers. "Sergeant! By my side."

"..."

He snapped against, getting more furious as it seemed to yield no results.

"...Never mind that..! It appears that my force is not with me. No matter."

Unsheathing his sword, he pointed it aggressively at everyone else. "I expect one of you to fulfill the role of assisting me. You must yield by my side, and if you follow my instructions, this mystery will be solved post-haste."

"Two seconds!" he repeated, before closing his eyes. "...So? Let us hear the rest of your names."

Ivan glared at the man trying to take his seat.

"...Shove off!"

Shaking his head, Ivan snapped his fingers, and a legion of officers appeared by his side.

"Yes, Officer Ivanov!" the officers screamed as the apprehended the man, who proceeded to cry and pee his pants. He looked up with his red, crying-because-he-was-peeing eyes and stared at Ivan, whose eyes turned to a destructive zone of fire.

"If you wanna fight me for this seat, then you had best prepare yourself! I have mastered the arts of armed battle -- crossed many harsh lands and oceans and nearly died for my ambitions! Tell me, are you willing to die for this seat that you wish so dearly to possess?!"

Suddenly, Ivan jumped at the man. "C'mon! Fight me! The outcome of this battle will determine the man who seats at this throne!"

The man suddenly died.

Ivan was then arrested for murder through method of steel balls.

And that's it whoops enjoy.

Last edited by Southern Corn on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think it's probably fair to say that Panda is right about people like tuning trials out because there's a high barrier of entry to understand them and participate. One thing which could help is transparently creating a list of evidence and then crossing out items as they're used or something and just generally make them easier. Additionally people barely ever care about their alibi unless it's ultra cool/interesting, so I feel like just like getting rid of alibis altogether is a good idea as well. Maybe just have the mystery be a single post in the thread which can be analyzed for clues.

Also yeah sorry about difficulty in F6. It was definitely my bad. F4 definitely had the same problem at times. I think that the way I make these mysteries just doesn't work for us, regardless of the clarity/obscurity of individual clues.

Quote:
Anyway while I'm here I'd also like to opine that Igniter's post-game meme writing wasn't really that funny to me and I feel like I've seen better from him before. Not really bad, just kinda disappointing and simplistic coming from him. I don't really blame him but also I just had to get that out sorry.

you're just uncultered

Double posting because this needs to be said

Quote:
With that, I picked up my wonderful burger that I had been planning on enjoying and strutted out of there. The man who annoyed me would soon find my own way of revenge at his very doorstep later...

Did Satan take a dump on a guy's doorstep

Happy Maria

tbh idk you'd have to ask Saizo yourself

Just a guy online.

I will neither confirm nor deny any form of accusation.

Sock

I can only speak for myself here but I can definitely see myself being able to participate more with easier trials. I'm not sure how to determine what exactly made the F6 ones so much harder for me to follow along with, but I don't recall having any issues like that in F2, or in F3 aside from the third case there.

My activity issues with Bennett came from a lot more than just the trials, though, mainly coming from my distaste for the character and being unable to change it after realizing this like 2 weeks before the game started. I don't think this is some big issue that needs to be fixed, though, just something on my end.

I will parrot what Joker said and say that the magic and all that was really crazy for me to wrap my head around. I'm not against it in future games but I feel like mysteries could be a lot easier without stuff like that. Though the rules for the magic did make things better when they came.
The longer alibis are nice too, but maybe going back to shorter ones could be better off? I also think that if we eventually want to hunt down new people we should be making the trials a little easier so they can have an easier time participating.

Thanks for hosting, SC and Nanjo

uh I guess I've been pretty clear about my feelings on the game/cast so I'll try not to get too into it again

Fwiw I thought the ghosts coming back to help take out the mastermind was kind of nice but I can see where it might be a little disappointing for the survivors to not really be able to do anything themselves

I think trials are definitely at the point of being too hard and essentially requiring guesswork to get anywhere, they're so frustrating they aren't even any fun. Alibis in particular are way too long and complicated; how many times did someone comment on having a massive alibi to write out? On the other hand, literally all of mine could be summed up as 'Shizune stayed in bed and didn't witness anything of note'.

Most of the trials, I barely participated in mainly because I had no idea what the hell was even going on. I didn't post anything in 6-3 because I literally couldn't even follow the very basic premise of who was where doing what when, and when I asked the GMs about it, I didn't get any help understanding it. Eventually I had to get Panda to idiot-explain the basic plot of my own trial to me.

I hated how much of all the mysteries revolved around magic. If magic is going to be used in a mystery, it should be sparingly and clearly defined as to what kind of magic was used. Trials are hard enough to figure out without tossing in the fact that we had to guess what spells were used with the unknown/unseen magic circles (there was always at least one).

For me, Daily Life is pretty important in these games because that's when you get to bond with and learn about the cast. The first two DLs were pretty barren as far as things to actually do but idk, even when we got to the fake town in Chapter 3, nobody really did anything except go get drunk at the bar. I don't really know or feel anything for most of the cast; I guess I kind of liked Matt, Brandy, Enola, and Seb somewhat, but everyone else I either just didn't like or couldn't tell you much of anything about other than their name (mostly the latter).

Anyway yeah sorry this is kind of rambling and caustic, writing at work and don't feel like reading it over

Yeah well it's interesting. I am definitely very sorry about the alibis and stuff and am really disappointed in myself. That said, no matter how simple the premise was, a lot of details would just kinda flood the thing regardless. Everyone's alibi in chapter 2 minus the lower cavern people was pretty simple. Everyone's alibi in chapter 1 was simple as well each person did like one thing max. Chapter 4s alibis were like extremely simplistic. And somehow I'm being praised for making chapter 3 the simplest?

Anyway, if I ever do this again, I'll try my best to make the cases simpler by changing the design philosophy behind them so that more people an participate. I should have understood that the low participation meant something was really wrong but I more or less just focused on getting enough people to participate so that things could move along "smoothly" and nothing else.

Shy guy

Chapter 3 was the simplest premise, not necessarily the simplest alibis. Chapter 4 had very simple alibis but the case itself was far more complicated. Chapter 2's complexity was specifically from the lower cavern group: I guess they were all doing their own thing, had somewhat long alibis, their alibis had all kinds of various intersections and it also seemed like people had difficulty visualising the setting.

I definitely think in the future it might be a good idea to have pretty much the whole mystery posted in the thread. Alibis at that point are just useful for the killer or the few liars, but basically any player is reading the mystery unfold as it would happen in a DR game. Very rarely in a DR game do you hear someone talk about the entire little adventure they had while the murder was happening—I understand it’s for cast balance reasons and that the games can never be exactly the same cause of the format but still.

F3-1 is the closest to this kind of thing where the only thing extra to remember is the John group and Akio’s little thing (I’m sure I’m forgetting something but main point is the bulk of the info was in the thread). And people don’t really have to keep track of a bunch of timestamps or meeting points or whatever, you either did something before the foyer meeting, during, or after.

And 3-1 had that section with the blackout posted in the actual thread when it was initially going to just be in a few people's alibis. I think that's the way to go actually, just post the shared alibi stuff and say the characters know because they already talked about it off-screen.

Speaking of Daily Life, when even the people who like those aren't really posting, that's a sign the formula's gotten stale. I mean, I enjoy having to read one post per day as opposed to 100+, but that really isn't very good for the game or character chemistry. I appreciate chapter 1 trying something new... but man was it difficult to read through. Most of the posts just being discussion about minor things like 'let's go right' 'no, let's go left', which don't wind up any more compelling that the boring small talk in the typical DL. Come to think of it, whether I like a character rarely ever comes down to DL, trials and story relevance being much more important which makes me more annoyed now when people throw away a chance for a great character moment and opt to just thank their friends for the twelfth time. Even the DL events, I realized the other day that I hardly remember any of them. Probably like one from each game at most. idk, I guess so long as the trials are good, then I'm willing to put up with DLs, so they're a low priority really.

Here be the F6 dead sprites.

Spoiler: Dead Sprites

The American Dream

yeah hi here's the (beta bc honestly the shadow gimmick for it doesn't look good at all on CR :/) logo for F7 because SC held a gun to my head and threatened to eat my family if I didn't tease it properly or something

see you in 2020 dorks (image is big oops idc BYE)

Happy Maria

Very cool! Excited to see more info on this. Anyway your family is free now but I'm definitely going to be :eyes: on this till further stuff happens.

Sock

As long as my family is safe you can stare all you want but please don’t drool on the rug thanks.

Also yeah F7 in 2020 be there or be square.

>dice and triple 7s

is this the return to Ursino Island

are we finally going to rescue Monoroomba

Happy Maria

Sadly I think Monoroomba is already canonically dead.

Shy guy

Did someone say rescue V.A.L.?

I have a plan for that

Happy Maria

VAL is also canonically dead sorry, try again.

The American Dream

Spoiler: F7

Spoiler: A Congratulatory Letter
Hm? What’s this? A letter is on your bed, and the word “winner” is stamped on the envelope in heavy, red ink. It looks like it’s from that lottery you entered a few months ago, it even has the same address and everything…

Dear contestant,

It is with the utmost pleasure that I congratulate you on your success! You have secured a spot, alongside a handful of other people, to take part in the grand opening of my newest casino on the Twilight Strip based on the following criteria:

-You are 18 years of age or older (thanks to the new law that lowered the gambling age to 18 in the state of Nevada, we were able to accept a few more contestants).
-Your reasons for entering moved us to the point of tears.
-You have a very “ultimate” quality about yourself that separates you from others.

As you know, for part of the grand opening, you and the other contestants will be competing to win the most cash over the course of a month. Consider it almost like a game or reality show, if you will, since it’s going to be broadcast on national television. The person who rakes in the most dough will get to keep it all to use however they wish. Enclosed in this envelope you will find a USB device containing more information, courtesy of my assistant.

-Mr. Hugh Stakes, Casino Extraordinaire

Just like the note promised, there’s a small USB drive taped to the inside of the envelope. Wasting no time, you put it into your laptop. Within the span of a few seconds, a video pops up on your screen. There’s a brief flash of a logo that reads “Stakes & Co.” before the video finishes loading. You are greeted by the voice of a woman who sounds almost too cheerful.

Congratulations, contest winner! You are one of the lucky few who gets to experience the magic of the Twilight Palace Hotel & Casino prior to its opening to the public!” the voice says. As she speaks, you see images of the aforementioned hotel. It’s a very sleek and stylish-looking building. Based on your personal superpower of being able to count, you estimate that it has at least 100 floors, plus or minus a few.

“Located over 80 miles north of Las Vegas, the Twilight Strip is the home of Mr. Stakes’ next big project that involves turning locations that are basically nothing into, well, something! Born in the small town of Rattlewater, Mr. Stakes has firsthand experience on what it’s like to live in the middle of nowhere and wishes to make sure fewer people have to suffer through something so horrible.” Again, as she speaks, more images are shown. This time they’re of the Twilight Strip, which looks like someone went a little crazy with neon lights. It’s practically a vaporwave enthusiast's wet dream. The whole “town” looks like it’s resting on what used to be some regular hill. The restaurants and hotels look like they have potential to be on the pricey side, but what did you expect from a place that’s trying to compete with Vegas? You also see a few images of Rattlewater in all of its small-town glory. Definitely not a vacation spot if you win this whole thing, you think to yourself.

“Of course, to get to the meat of this video, the casino you will be playing in is complete with some of the best technology of the 21st century so far. I know we’re only about a quarter of the way in, but it’s true! By working closely with the latest up-and-coming technological powerhouse, ALCO., Mr. Stakes has created one of the most advanced casinos in history. No longer will you have to deal with smug, human dealers, because now you can play with smug, robot dealers!” You see an image of a robot that looks straight out of a sci-fi book from the 1950s dealing cards at a blackjack table. It looks very smug, even without a face. You also see robots that traverse the floor by using a singular wheel carrying trays with drinks on them.

“Furthermore, the Twilight Palace is also home to the very first holographic artificial intelligence of all time, codenamed ‘LUCY’. Maybe you’ll see her when you stop in,” the voice says with a chuckle. Images of various games in the casino are shown, such as roulette, poker, slot machines, and so on. “That about wraps up this video, contestant. Remember, your stay at the Twilight Palace begins in two weeks. You may not bring a guest. You need not pack any spare clothing, we will take care of that for you. The same goes for toiletries, such as toothbrushes and the like. We will provide that for you. All food and alcohol enjoyed during your stay will be free. If you have any further questions, you may ask when your stay begins. We hope you are as excited for your stay as we are. Farewell, and congratulations again.”

The video disappears as a notification pops up on your screen that your computer no longer recognizes the USB device. Thinking nothing of it, you remove it and close your laptop. It’s been a long day, so you decide to lay down and go to sleep. As you drift off, your mind begins to wander and you think about the criteria listed in the letter. You’re happy your story and talent were enough to win you a spot in this contest. You feel lucky.

[Sign-up thread coming in ~2 weeks. We hope to see you at the Twilight Palace.]

Happy Maria

How exciting this sounds.
Page 2 of 2 [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus