Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 16 of 39[ 1538 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next

Re: NG9 Game Thread (Round 2 Over)Topic%20Title

"Get real. You've been a sad sack about this woman since the game started, talking about redeeming yourself."

Luka emphatically pointed at the screen. "I spent a lot of time learning about life, death, resurrection. So know what my take is? There's a chance this is true--there's a chance the woman on the screen is alive, and you're going to let your worthless pride get in the way of making things up to her."

He looked towards the ground, as if ashamed. "And know what's more likely? It's all bullshit. This is some trick, or a recording. But that doesn't mean anything. Even if they're words to a dead woman, they'll still mean something--there's a reason she's asking you to say them. The gift isn't meant for any of us, it's for you. She wants you to convince yourself, and earn it. So if you want what she left to you I'd say you better start with some quick soul-searching, we still got a game to play."

ASCEND

"I don't believe the one who needs to apologize is the Emissary," Vivienne added, "Whatever he's supposedly guilty of, it can't be worse than what the most horrific injustice Iris suffered was."

She smiled and gripped the shaft of her parasol as if it were a weapon. "Unless, of course, you killed her."
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Luka's eyes bounced between The Emissary and Vivienne. "You know, on second thought I probably shouldn't be getting into the middle of this. Just uh... buzz me if you need anything."

He paced over to a corner, mumbling something to himself.

Shy guy

JesusMonroe wrote:
"Get real. You've been a sad sack about this woman since the game started, talking about redeeming yourself."

Luka emphatically pointed at the screen. "I spent a lot of time learning about life, death, resurrection. So know what my take is? There's a chance this is true--there's a chance the woman on the screen is alive, and you're going to let your worthless pride get in the way of making things up to her."

He looked towards the ground, as if ashamed. "And know what's more likely? It's all bullshit. This is some trick, or a recording. But that doesn't mean anything. Even if they're words to a dead woman, they'll still mean something--there's a reason she's asking you to say them. The gift isn't meant for any of us, it's for you. She wants you to convince yourself, and earn it. So if you want what she left to you I'd say you better start with some quick soul-searching, we still got a game to play."

"...The gift goes to whoever 'gets' the person to apologise, not the person in question. A reward for someone else, and nothing for the one apologising. This whole bonus game, it's like it's designed to torment one person in particular... But you're right, maybe the one tormenting me here is myself," The Emissary said sadly, looking away and staring at the now-blank screen. "Are you really sure the person Iris talked about is me, though? There's nine of us here, we don't know everyone's story. At least give me this: humour me, and hear me out. We should at least rule everyone else out first."

Planetbox wrote:
"I don't believe the one who needs to apologize is the Emissary," Vivienne added, "Whatever he's supposedly guilty of, it can't be worse than what the most horrific injustice Iris suffered was."

She smiled and gripped the shaft of her parasol as if it were a weapon. "Unless, of course, you killed her."

"W-wait, 'killed'? What do you mean? She... she died of a Xanax overdose, didn't she? Unless you're saying I might be the one who drove her to do that..."

“Who knows?” Luka said in response to The Emissary. “The wording is tricky, I wouldnt be surprised if you do get the gift for stepping up to the place. But fine, I’ll humor you. Very few people knew the answer to #1 in the quiz bowl. You, Vivienne, Ember, and possibly Pink. You guys are the only ones this message could be addressed to. Ember is a reporter, so that explains that. And I’m pretty sure Pink got that question wrong. But if you want to grill any of them, be my guest.”

"For what it's worth, I've never met Iris before, let alone done anything to her," Stella chimed in. "I have no idea what this could be about."

ASCEND

KamiPanda wrote:
"W-wait, 'killed'? What do you mean? She... she died of a Xanax overdose, didn't she? Unless you're saying I might be the one who drove her to do that..."

"Perhaps you were," Vivienne replied, pulling the brim of her hat low and leaning on her parasol like a cane. "Or perhaps you or someone else delivered the meds to her a little more directly. I don't mean to accuse you specifically, of course. I don't even know who you are."

"The point is...the suicide angle is what the tabloids ran with, but that doesn't mean it's true."

She turned to the movie screen. "I already told you 'The Emissary' was a special movie to me. That's because every time I watch Iris's impassioned performance, it makes me even more certain of my beliefs..." Teardrops slowly fell from below Vivienne's hat. "M-My sister...k-killing herself...There's no way. I-It's impossible. I know it."
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

"Vivienne, you need to knock it off." Ember sighed, suddenly looking really ticked off she was pressing the Emissary. "Suicide by xanax overdose is probably the leading cause of death amongst actresses. I could type a headline about that with my eyes closed."

"Maybe you're the one who needs to apologize. She was your sister. If she would've called out for anyone's help it would've been you, right? So maybe you didn't support her enough or something like that." she said, brushing off Iris' motives for suicide with a dismissive wave.

Shy guy

The Emissary was silent for a short while. "There's really... not much point in me hiding it anymore. Or rather, I get the impression Iris doesn't want me to hide it... Especially if I really am the one who needs to apologise." Paying little mind to whether what he was saying made any sense, he reached back behind his head and undid the mask.

Wesley Naught looked... worse in person. Compared to the man behind the screen, this man was balding, drained and defeated. He looked far older than his years at only 37, and his sad eyes showed clear signs of recent crying. Some in the group may have even struggled to recognise him as the same man who had played his part in Falling from the Nest so well.

"Ember... thank you. Maybe I'm the one meant to apologise here, maybe I'm not. But I'm going to apologise anyway. Vivienne... like you, I couldn't believe Iris would kill herself. She was... too bright, too real. But I don't want to lie to myself and pretend someone killed her. Even if... even if by some twisted turn of fate that really is what happened, I still can't deny what I did. She was suffering, and maybe... maybe I never paid enough attention to see it, too busy playing a role for the silver screen to see what was going on in my real life, the one that really mattered.

"So, Iris... I'm sorry. I know you meant it when you told me I should focus on my career instead of worrying about you, but I could do better. Of course I could do better. You gave up so much when you moved away from everything just to be with me, so why couldn't I give up some things in return? You dedicated so much of your life to me, yet I couldn't even reveal my own life to you, the one person in the world I should be able to lower my guard around. Knowing you, you might not have even wanted an apology from me... You were always so kind, you never openly blamed me even when you had every right to. But I'm apologising anyway. You deserved a better version of myself than you got."

Ember stood off to the side, wiping away a few tears from hearing Wesley's speech. "He still has it... So much emotion, so much..." she muttered to herself, but it felt more like she was praising a movie...

Wesley's performance is gripping, and it's difficult to stand in the same room as him and not feel it.

But the group of strange people watch as the worlds melt into the air.

It's a deafening silence that follows Ember's comments. Wesley is left hanging.

Happy Maria

"Oh dear... so he wasn't the one who needed to apologise?" Hazel asked. "Then it could be any of us... even me."

"Iris, I am very sorry", she suddenly said to the movie screen, as emphatically as possible.

Gettin' Old!

Maximillions sombre face turned sharp at Hazels hasty apology "Mayhaps Madame, it would help if one knew the reason behind the apology rather than blindly offering bland belated remarks bereft of genuine feeling."

He looked over the crying people meekly, his jovial nature melted away "Games of the heart are the worst kind of game. I don't know, perhaps your apology was enough but we do not know how it shall be received or demonstrated. I know I have things to apologise for but unfortunately not to Iris DuGrande. Alas I cannot help in this moment other than to give you space to process." He murmured tentatively patting Vivienne and Wesley on the shoulder before leaving the room.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ASCEND

Vivienne turned around and smashed her fist several times against the wall of the theatre. Then she rested her head against it and trembled.

"God! Wh-Who did it then, Iris? Who...Who killed you?!" She cried out in desperation, but it wasn't entirely clear who she was talking to.

"Don't you think I know I should have been there for her? Don't you see how it's eaten away at me for years?! But...But there was nothing I could do. She's the one who left me behind!"

She seemed to calm down at Max's touch and turned around, but she still held her hand over her face.

Shy guy

Wesley sighed after waiting a few moments to see if Zero responded. "This outcome is fine too. I don't really care for this game anyway, the apology is one I wanted to make regardless. I wanted to actually apologise in Iris's presence for once, even if she's not really here..."

He didn't seem to have anything he could say to Vivienne, too lost in his own feelings on the matter. However he pulled himself together enough to address everyone about one thing: "Don't forget her wording. The gift is for whoever 'gets' the person to apologise. We're not winning this round just by going round in a circle and letting everyone apologise, the intention is to drag an apology out of someone unwilling to give one. Which... now that I think about it... If it wasn't me, that means someone... someone hurt Iris enough that she recorded that message in response. I... don't know how to feel about that." Saying this, he returned to being lost in thoughts and memories, a troubled look on his face.

“Stop messing around, bastard.” Luka said to Wesley through gritted teeth. “Your apology needs to be earnest. It was a good performance, I’ll admit. Taking off the mask was a nice touch. But it was a performance all the same. ‘Maybe it’s not me but I’m gonna apologize anyway’?” He derided in a mocking tone. “There’s a rule when you apologize to a friend, especially your best friend. You need to promise to never do it again, and keep that promise! So apologize!”

No other way than to make this mistake.

Pink: well

There are a few minutes of pause between that message and the next one.

Pink: you know i don't think that whoever did that would
Pink: like, say it in front of everyone?? it's probably terrible
Pink: so idk how we could get them to say anything unless someone here knows something...

"Maybe it's Ember?" Luka guessed. "Published some trashy article that pushed her to this or...?" He shook his head. "Eh, Pink has a point. Maybe we should have each of us stay in this room alone for a minute, give everyone a chance to apologize in private? Otherwise I'm not sure if we'll get anywhere."

Pink: oh just to clarify
Pink: the only thing i know about this person is that they died
Pink: and even then i only learnt it from asking people here...
Pink: idk anything else unfortunately, sorry :^(

While everyone discussed, Ember stepped forward towards the projector. She took a deep breath.

"Iris DuGrande. I'm... Sorry. I'm sorry that some of my followers sent you some, um, let's call them unsavory messages because I kept riling them up about you." she adjusted her glasses, looking rather unenthusiastic about this whole apology business. "Maybe there were better ways of criticizing your acting that didn't involve saying you should just retire early..."

"... Did that work? I apologized."

“That’s the most emotion I’ve seen of you yet, but something tells me it won’t be enough.” Luka huffed. “If you’d be able to look at Vivienne in the eyes and tell her it was earnest, then maybe it’ll be enough.”

"...This is why I can't stand gossip and drama," Stella grumbled darkly. She'd finally recovered a bit from her surprise at these revelations, though she'd seemed more stunned that Wesley was here than at Iris' recording.

"Okay, okay, fine." Ember grumbled. "Look, I'm sorry I sent you some unsavory messages myself, okay? That was childish, I'll admit that. And that I went further and said you were just some passing fad. And that I said you would take Wesley's career down with you. That was too far, I'm sorry, okay?"

The contrast between the way Wesley and her spoke was painful to watch. Ironically, it was obvious she was the one acting. There is no meaning to these words.

Luka looked at Wesley and Vivienne, not addressing one of them in particular. “I think one of you needs to be the one to convince her. She’s too up her own ass to realize the damage she did.”

He seemed to be less pissed at the length of these proceedings and more uncomfortable.

Shy guy

Wesley seemed rather hurt by what Ember revealed, especially due to how unrepentant she seemed for it. Responding to Luka instead, he said, "She can't apologise for my sake. If the apology is to have any meaning, it has to be because she herself feels sorry for what happened to Iris. I'm not sure I'm the one who can convince her of that.

"Ember's not... she's not the only one who thought that way. There was so much of that going around when we announced our relationship. But Iris, she acted like she was okay with all that, like it was to be expected. That's just the sort of incredibly positive person she was. Later though, the Xanax... Maybe it was just a front. She was probably really hurting deep down."

ASCEND

"It's too late anyway." Vivienne sighed, "I could care less about this ridiculous prize. It certainly won't bring her back."

"I don't care much for trying to get anything out of Miss Ohring either. No matter how many pretty words she spews out, she and the other harpies will just go back to ruining the lives of whatever fad comes along next. I'm not even sure she's capable of a genuine apology."

"But why do I have to take all the guilt for this?" Ember huffed. "Look, I'm not going to act like what I did was all right, but why do I have to take responsibility for her suicide? People don't kill themselves only because of harassment on social media!"

1000% Knight

Astrid, who had been impassively watching the proceedings, spoke for the first time since the video had been played. “A mob is a horrendous beast. It will latch onto whatever angers it, and twist it to further enflame its wrath. Once it’s going, not even the truth can do much to calm it down. It has thousands, sometimes millions of claws, and there’s no way to know how many or which are just for show, and which are going for your neck. It can... certainly be more than what some people can bear. It may not have been your intention, and this may not even be what Zero was referring to in the video, but regardless, you should reflect on what you made, the harm it caused, and if it was worth whatever you got in return.”
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

The group was left with their thoughts for while. It seemed like neither Wesley or Ember had much more to say.

Code:
It is now time to continue the game. Each of you, please go back to your starting room to go back to a room-choosing phase.

The group slowly disperses and heads back to their little broom closets. Once again, everyone is faced with the two doors and the computers in front of them. Red light shines over each of them as they commence their discussion.

Code:
The rules for this door choosing phase are similar to last time: please vote for a leader.

The leader will order the players one to nine.

One will receive $450,000, take between $100,000 and 0 of it, and then pass the money to two and so on, all the way until nine receives whatever money is left. You will not know how much money you had until this round is over. If you try to take more than is available total, you will receive $0.

Those who are the first four in the order will enter the CHURCH room.

Those who are the last five in the order will enter the EMERALD room.

Red: any brilliant ideas?
Red: hazel or pink seems like a good choice for leader, but even then I'm not so sure
Red: somehow I doubt we can come up with a clean solution that gets everyone money

ASCEND

Violet: Well, $45,000 can easily be divided four ways. Everyone would get $5,000.
Violet: Of course, this will likely be impossible in practice.
Violet: But either way, there’s no incentive for anyone to take less than $5,000!

Shy guy

Aqua: There is one incentive to take less than $50,000
Aqua: If you are low down the chain, if you try to take too much, you may end up with nothing at all.
Aqua: There's not much reason to believe those higher up the chain would cut back on how much they take.
Aqua: So those lower down can't reasonably expect to get even $50,000.
Aqua: That being said, I can't see any way to avoid the top people in the chain just taking $100,000 each, the fifth taking $50,000 and then everyone else getting stuck with $0 regardless of what they ask to take.

Brown: I believe Pink and Hazel probably have the least money of any of the players, so it does make sense that one of them be the leader.
Brown: From what I can tell, there really isn't any disadvantage to the first four players taking as much as they can, especially when they likely won't have to cooperate with the bottom five again for some time.

1000% Knight

Green: I vote for myself.
Green: I will only take $50,000.
Green: The first four people to vote for me will become numbers two through five.
Green: (Naturally, you are still free to take your fair share of $50,000, but you will be guaranteed the option of taking $100,000 if you so wish.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Red: i think Hazel is 0 tho
Red: id rather vote for someone i can trust to take less than 100k
Red: hmmmmmmmmm
Red: .....
Red: aight someone’s gotta give
Red: i want a room with Stells
Red: ill vote for whoever can make that happen
Red: bonus points if i get the emissary too

Shy guy

Aqua: This sounds like the same situation as the countries, then.
Aqua: Only more skewed.
Aqua: The leader and those that vote for them get put into the first 5 slots, while the others end up at the bottom with $0.
Aqua: I would like to go to the Church room.
Aqua: But I don't mind not getting as much money.
Aqua: I will vote for Astrid.
Aqua: I will take $50,000.

Brown: There's no point in trying to divide the money up 'fairly' hoping everyone will only take 50K.
Brown: If we're trying to be 'fair', we should vote for someone who's behind to give them a chance to catch up.

ASCEND

Violet: I’d prefer to vote for someone at more of a disadvantage.
Violet: But either way, I don’t mind being sent to the Emerald room. It sounds more enticing anyway.
Violet: Though I’d prefer the groups not end up exactly the same as last time!

Pink: oh hey, sounds like my job!
Pink: voting for myself as leader
Pink:btw @Red I'll make sure to give you what you asked

Gettin' Old!

Purple: Well here we are confined to these rooms again. Its apparent those apologies were inadequate and unacceptable.
Purple: But! The game goes on. By this point people should have accumulated some fair amount of points. I daresay if someone had played it right this would put them within touching distance of their goal.
Purple: For that reason I vote for Pink as well. This game seems more interesting and purposed that I had originally envisioned. I would not see it ended prematurely by greed.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Page 16 of 39 [ 1538 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus