Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 56 of 56[ 2230 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

Re: (NGX) The Zodiac Game (Grey Timeline)Topic%20Title

No other way than to make this mistake.

The noise of the shackles coming off seem to make Mei return to the realm of the living. Her head snaps to look at her now free hands, which still retain a blue-ish color. She stands up very slowly, using the chair as support, quickly deciding that it's best if she doesn't try walking now.

"F-Finally," she mumbles.

Shy guy

As soon as he was free, Sun Taikong rushed over to Mei so he could support her. "I'm sorry, Mei, I hate that this had to happen to you... I've done a terrible thing. I'll help you walk. Let's not stay in here any more than we need to."

Mei leans on Taikong, her mouth quirking into a slight smile, "I wouldn't... f-f-feel happy about being alive if not for this all. Though..."

She looks towards the others, as if nudging him to apologize to them instead.

Sleeping is my life.

".... I guess this is it." Dr. Uwem said before he looks to X. "X, when we get back, I'll be signing some papers to release you from my care. I'd want to respect Yang's wish... Although, are you sure you'll be fine with the name I gave you? Or would you prefers a new name; one that fits you better?"

The doctor then looks to Fujisaki. "Fujisaki, I know you must be worried about your Isuzu... If I were to guess what Yang meant by that you'll be reunited with her in the near future... It's probably that she's uploaded to the homunculus up in the armory..."

"Sigh, to think that I made the homunculus to houses the ambassador's consciousness... Only for it to be housing Isuzu's consciousness... It'll be awkward... Although, I could make a new homunculus for Isuzu, but then we'd have to transfer her consciousness from the current homunculus to the new homunculus... Which I will need Amethyst's help with..." He mumbles to himself.

Sock

“I don’t want her in some clone of a man,” Fujisaki grumbles. “I want her.” He says angrily. “Yet the Cat was keen on taking that away from me.”

He stands back up and looks around the room before staring down Taikong. “I hope your game is good enough. And your plan fixes this. For your own sake.”

Gettin' Old!

Juanli reached into her bag the moment her arms were free but was suddenly interrupted by Sunny jumping into her arms and the expression of malice was replaced with one of contentment.

"Oh Sunny...I don't know is Miss X wants to do something so humdrum with her newfound freedom." She said with a quiet smile as she hugged the boy. "And I'm sure your Baba probably has important things he'll need to do as well with all his responsibilities back in America but yes...they are welcome to come by."

She placed a hand under Sunny's chin and gently raised his head to look at his face. He seemed...ok, despite everything he'd been through. Maybe he hadn't remembered everything? Maybe he had repressed it? Juanli shuddered at the thought of what he might recall, he was so fragile. His face was dirty.

Juanli tutted and grabbed a napkin from the table and began rubbing the remains of the food Sunny had ate from his face.

"Honestly Sunny, you really need to slow down when eating. You make such a mess."
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Shy guy

Seeing Mei's intention, Sun Taikong nodded, addressing the others. "I'm sorry for all of this. Regardless of my intentions - and it seems my plan wasn't the masterstroke I thought it was anyway - I've hurt all of you. I don't know what I'll do now, clearly there's no magical solution to the war, but Yang wanted us to bring peace, and I'll keep working hard at it. She said it couldn't come 'at the end of a gun', so I'll have to just do what I can, one way or another. It's the best way I can atone for this Game."

“Well I don’t understand what you intended to accomplish here, but you can assure yourself you’ll be rotting in a cell for treason for the rest of your short life.” Mao said, rubbing his wrists. It seemed he was still pissed about being kidnapped.

He didn’t really know what had happened today and he didn’t seem to care. He would be home soon, and the war would rage on. It wasn’t even up to Mao regardless, so he would simply play his part as always.

“I would be interested,” X says to Sunny and Juanli. “If you would have me; I understand that you had much frustration with me. I appreciate the offer very much and deeply wish to enjoy them.”

She turns to Dr. Uwem, “I appreciate you letting me free. I also appreciate the care you gave me. I know you tried your best, but I felt trapped and dissatisfied regardless. You are right that it would be nice to take my own name. I will think about what to call myself to honor Yang and my experiences with everyone.”

She shakes her head at Mao’s words, “Revenge is worthless, Ox. I showed you that just now if you would accept it. The Cat is another victim of the war. It’s only fair to push him to rehabilitation. That is my will.”

ASCEND

On the other side of the door, the group finds yet another long hallway with a massive set of stone steps. However, these lead to a wooden hatch set diagonally in the ceiling of the passage. The character [猫] (Cat) is painted onto the hatch. It seems to carry new meaning after the events of the game.

X pushes it open, and the group steps through.

They’re outside. The wind roars and massive towers rise into the blue sky. The ground is lightly dusted with ash, but a strange sight lies before them.

Overturned helmets, embedded in the ground and filled with dirt, form an uneven square in the center of the courtyard. There must have been nearly a hundred of them, all with the same camouflage pattern and straps hanging from the sides, but inside each helmet dirt is piled high, with colorful flowers growing within. Many of them have died in the February cold but some remain, a flash of color in the midst of the carnage.

“How did I…not know this was here?” Mei mumbles.

“I forgot about it as well,” Mao explains, “I can’t even recall who created it anymore, but…every one of those helmets is from a soldier who died in combat. It’s a miracle this place wasn’t touched by the bombing.”

After everything they went through, standing among these memoirs of the dead is humbling.

In the middle of the garden, a computer terminal is erected. They see a figure on the screen speaking in dull tones.

“Hiro. Do you hear me? Hiro!”

Hearing the voice, Fujisaki rushes to the front of the group and approaches the monitor.

“Isuzu! What happened to you?”

“It looks like I was uploaded into the same server as the cat. By the time I really understood what was happening, it got deleted,” she explains, “But I think…maybe there’s a way to get me off.”

Fujisaki glances below the monitor, toward the computer itself. A green flash drive sticks out of one of its ports.

“I think I’m on that flash drive,” Isuzu explains, “I don’t really understand it, but…maybe there’s a way we can be together now. For real, Hiro.”

“If we have the data on a flash drive,” Amandi says, “We could make a homunculus that matches her physical appearance and put her consciousness inside. Right, Amethyst?”

“Yeah, I think so,” she replies, “It might take some time, but it’s definitely possible.”

X approaches the screen as well, and unceremoniously minimizes the window showing Isuzu.

“Hey, you could have at least asked first,” she shouts.

“It seems there’s more than that stored on this flash drive,” X says, “Very interesting…”

After properly ejecting the flash drive, she pulls it out and hands it to Amandi.

“Dr. Uwem, once we get out of here…publish all of the documents on here immediately.”

It seems X has no intention of elaborating further.

[This is the final scene. Nothing particularly dramatic will happen, so have fun playing your characters for the last time.]
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Gettin' Old!

Juanli's breath caught in her throat. Thanks to the morphogenetic field this isn't her first taste of freedom, but she remained awestruck at the beauty of the memorial in front of her.

"It's been so long since I've been here..." She looked over the courtyard, picturing the smiling faces of families. Her parents, Dad carrying Suyin while Juanli held Mum's hand.

The blasted memorial was nearly unrecognisable to Juanli now. Just another twisted body from the war, never to return to its original grandeur.

She closed her eyes and took stock of her feelings. She thought of Sunny, his hand safely in hers. His memories of this place would be awful. As it was, the world wasn't safe for Sunny. Rage welled up inside her.

She took a deep breath and squeezed Sunny's hand. "Sunny?" She turned and smiled at him "Go talk to your Baba for a moment. I need to have a word with your Auntie and Uncle." She said releasing his hand and ruffling his hair.

She turned and strode over to where Mao and Suyin were standing. Her face a mask of cold malice.

"General." She nodded curtly to him. "I...regrettably don't have a way to prove your crimes against my family or the others here. It hurts me to think a monster like you has any power in this country." She looks over her shoulder at the arrangement of helmets "This is the fruit of your labours, this and many others." She looks back to Mao. "No I don't think any words can hurt you, not can I bring legal consequences against you."

With a flash of steel, the scissors were in her hand. The memories of having wielded them in anger made Juanli hold them just as expertly as a knife as they were a tool.

"But...neither will I consign you to join the dead here."

She flicked the scissors back so she gripped them safely with the blades held together in her hand.

"This place has already had it's beauty marred enough and..." She paused to look back at Sunny, a deep expression of shame hovering on her face. "...my boy has seen enough. I just want him to live a peaceful life."

Juanli quietly folded the scissors back into her handbag which she slung elegantly over her shoulder.

"You shan't have another opportunity to manipulate us. Not now that Sunny has been reunited with his father. He'll ensure you never get near him again, but if...you...TRY." Juanli's eyes fixed Mao's with an unsettlingly dark gaze.

"Nothing I have done in this game will compare to the fate that will await you."

She clipped her handbag shut and turned to her sister, her tone light and matter-of-fact "And sister...you turned out worse than I expected. Don't contact the family again. Mother and father won't want anything to do with you." She nodded "I think you'll be fine with those terms."

Not interested in a reply, Juanli spun on her heel with the grace of a professional model and returned to her family.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Mao chose not to respond. He felt weary after experiencing what must’ve been several lifetimes, and was smart enough to not incite a fight.

Mao had already known for several years that he was closer to the end than the beginning, but something told him it would be much closer than expected. His intuition on the battlefield gave him a keen sense for these things, and he could feel the axe over his head. The feeling that he had already lost. Yet he could not see what he had missed—there was no provable crime committed this timeline so what did he miss? Was it Private Sun? Or was Monk planning something?

All he could do for now was guess. So until he saw his enemy’s next move, he would enjoy the view of the outside, looking past the helmets to the beautiful countryside. It felt like every time he looked at his homeland, he could appreciate it more than the last.

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BEECH

Sunny nods and starts walking towards Monk... But he was also curious about what his mama was saying.

"B-but mama... I wanna keep in contact with my auntie!" He frowns a little once Juanli turns around. "...Even when you were gone that time... she tried taking care of me. Um, she did hurt some people, b-but she just wanted to escape like everyone else! Well, I just don't think she's evil... does that make sense?"

"I 'remember' everything just like everyone else... But please... I believe my auntie can get along with us again! Like the other time..." He doesn't mention his uncle. Sunny looks behind his mother, at Suyin, a sad look in his eyes.

Sleeping is my life.

Dr. Uwem looks at the green flash drive in his hand, then to X, and finally at the flash drive. He puts the flash drive away in one of his lab coat's pockets. "Alright, if you say so..." The doctor replied to X, though he knew that X will have to come up with her own name.

"To think that the truth behind your condition was that Yang downloaded some of their files into your brain... I don't know how I'll explain this when I file away your case... Would they really believes that a AI uploaded files into a patient...? This might be the first case I actually have about such a condition like this..." He said as he glances around the courtyard. His eyes lands on Amethyst and he turns to faces Amethyst.

".... Amethyst, it's hard to believe that your Yang was responsible for X. Originally, we were trying to extract the ambassador's consciousness from Li An, not knowing that he is still alive. Because of the mistake we made, Yang created X... And knowing that you're Private Kwon..." He trails off as he winks at the lady. To the others, it wasn't clear what the wink was for. But, it was clear to Amethyst what the wink was for. He then shakes his head. "Either way, I looks forward to building the homunculus for Isuzu. This'll be exciting!" He grins like he was a child in a candy store.

He turns to Fujisaki. He have mixed feelings on the one-armed man. He knew that Fujisaki have wanted to kill Mao and that the man was responsible for the attack 4 years ago. He knew the reason why.

"So... Fujisaki." He began addressing the man. "I understand that you wanted to kill Mao because of what happened to Isuzu 23 years ago... You tried to do what you thought was right... However, I think it'd be best if we let the past stay in the past. Anyway, I know you already heard me say it, but..." He looks back at Amethyst and nods at her. Then he looks back at the man.

"Amethyst and I will work together to build a homunculus that matches Isuzu's physical appearance and put her consciousness into the homunculus. Therebefore, I'll be giving Isuzu something that she lost 23 years ago... I'm giving her a second chance at life." The doctor paused to think about what he knows. "Although, it'd be difficult to explains Isuzu's sudden appearance. And not to mention that her family have forgotten about her and moved on... I'm certain that you'll figure something out somehow... Until then, try to stay out of trouble, okay?"

Speaking of the dead... Dr. Uwem turns to faces Taikong. He was angry at the soldier for what happened in that one timeline.

"Taikong, I think your father deserves a proper burial." He said but immediately interjected before the soldier have a chance to say anything. "Don't think I'd forgive you that easily, especially after what you did... I'm doing something nice for you this once. Your father's body is up in the Royal Bedroom. The door with the character for Rabbit. Don't forget that."

He steps closer to the soldier. "And don't EVER contradicts the autopsy report I gave regarding your father's death! If you still believes your father was killed by the bomb, you're a fool. Foolish than you think you truly are..." Then he looks to Mei, whom the solider have been giving support to.

"And Mei, you moron. Don't think I'd let you off the hook that easily! All because of your oxycodone addiction!" Dr. Uwem said as he raps his cane on the ground several times. "If you keep on using the oxycodone for a different reason other than its original purpose, you're going to get yourself killed one of these days... I might suggest that you take some time to think things through."

After he finished saying what he wanted to say, the doctor went over to X, just in case if she needed to talk to him.

Happy Maria

Monk stayed silent, staring into the sky. Many thoughts were going through his head.

He turned to look towards Mao, scowling. He obviously didn't want to approach or confront him at this moment, but he knew what all he had done till now. Once they returned back to civilisation, he would make sure to make him pay for the kidnapping, no matter what. The evidence would have to be there somewhere, it was simply a matter of locating it.

Though of course, there were other, more important things to do once he returned. His identity was no longer a secret. He had much work to do back in America. If anybody could help repair the relationship between the US and China, it was him. But it wouldn't be easy, and he would have to put his all into it. Yet he knew it had to be done. The war had to be stopped at all costs, and he wasn't going to be a coward about it anymore.

Once that was all done... he would visit Juanli and Sunny. Giving a small smile to his son, he patted him on the back and nodded silently. Inside, he promised to himself to be a better parent to him than he was before. It was the least he could do to atone for leaving him behind. He wouldn't let him be taken away yet again.

Turning around, he saw Fujisaki. As one would expect, it didn't seem like he held much of a grudge against him. The two bore a common hatred for Mao, and had people they loved taken away from them by him. While they had had their disagreements during the game (and murders), Monk could at least understand where the man was coming from now. It also gave him an iota of happiness seeing him being able to reunite with his wife as well, especially considering this wouldn't be possible for him now...

Taking the fiddle on his back out- or what had used to be Li An's erhu, he played a calming, serene melody. His eyes were closed, and he was in another world entirely. His wife and child were by his side, and he played with a sense of tranquility. The song seemed to bring back memories for him. Not just of the past, but of another timeline, back when X had showed him there were still signs of Li An hidden deep within.

As he finished, he finally approached X. Without saying anything, he opted to give her a hug, taking both of them by surprise. As he pulled away, his face seemed calm. He had made peace with X now finally.

"It was... good getting to know you." He spoke, staring at the floor. "I wish you luck in whatever it is that you do next. I won't stop you, but..." Taking off his ehru, he handed it to her. "You should keep this for yourself. Try playing on it a bit. Maybe you'll find that it comes naturally to you. Always good to keep fleshing out your talent."

He smiled, giving a bow to her.

"Take care, and... goodbye, X."

Shy guy

Hanzo Shimada wrote:
He steps closer to the soldier. "And don't EVER contradicts the autopsy report I gave regarding your father's death! If you still believes your father was killed by the bomb, you're a fool. Foolish than you think you truly are..."

"Yeah I'm well aware of what happened to my fucking father now, thanks!" Sun Taikong snapped, that familiar anger rising to the surface again. He turned away before he could work himself up anymore. "I need to get out of this place, there's only darkness for me here and it's driving me insane..."

Realising there was something he still needed to say though, he faced Amethyst. "Sorry for shooting you that one time. I... still blame you for what you did, I don't think that can ever change, but I know you were under the same pressures as me, and just like me you hoped an extreme solution could end this extreme situation. I blame you for it, but I think I'll be able to forgive you for it too, in time."

Hanzo Shimada wrote:
"And Mei, you moron. Don't think I'd let you off the hook that easily! All because of your oxycodone addiction!" Dr. Uwem said as he raps his cane on the ground several times. "If you keep on using the oxycodone for a different reason other than its original purpose, you're going to get yourself killed one of these days... I might suggest that you take some time to think things through."

"I d-didn't think you'd understand," Mei shakes her head, chuckling to herself, "I knew I'd let you down in one way or another, but I'll try my best, if that's enough reassurance. It's just... so weird," she mumbles the last part, looking at her trembling hand with the hint of a smile, "I haven't felt like this in so long."

The nurse then turns to Taikong at the end of his apology with a frown and pinches him on the cheek, however meekly, "Maybe you should start walking before you make things worse."

Amethyst crouched down next to one of the helmets, admiring the flower that was growing in it. She felt intensely grateful the bombing had spared a memorial like this.

Hanzo Shimada wrote:
".... Amethyst, it's hard to believe that your Yang was responsible for X. Originally, we were trying to extract the ambassador's consciousness from Li An, not knowing that he is still alive. Because of the mistake we made, Yang created X... And knowing that you're Private Kwon..." He trails off as he winks at the lady. To the others, it wasn't clear what the wink was for. But, it was clear to Amethyst what the wink was for. He then shakes his head. "Either way, I looks forward to building the homunculus for Isuzu. This'll be exciting!" He grins like he was a child in a candy store.

"... She knew I would trust her to find a good subject for the experiment. Maybe it is my fault for putting that trust in her, but, argh..." she answered, getting up. "Forget that. I look forward to working with you again too, doctor." she offered her hand for a handshake. "Let's try to do something good with this research, this time."

KamiPanda wrote:
Realising there was something he still needed to say though, he faced Amethyst. "Sorry for shooting you that one time. I... still blame you for what you did, I don't think that can ever change, but I know you were under the same pressures as me, and just like me you hoped an extreme solution could end this extreme situation. I blame you for it, but I think I'll be able to forgive you for it too, in time."

"... I had it coming. Worry about the other people you dragged in this game." she answered. "But, if you really want to apologize to me and to them, just listen to what Ya-ong said. We're not going to find peace at the end of a gun, so move forward with that in mind. It's what I'll try to do, at least."

Shy guy

Datamatt wrote:
The nurse then turns to Taikong at the end of his apology with a frown and pinches him on the cheek, however meekly, "Maybe you should start walking before you make things worse."

He chuckled at that. "You're right, thanks. I guess I need to start listening to the people around me more, especially if I'm going to be trying to get people to work together. I'm happy to have you by my side, Mei."

DootDootDoot wrote:
"... I had it coming. Worry about the other people you dragged in this game." she answered. "But, if you really want to apologize to me and to them, just listen to what Ya-ong said. We're not going to find peace at the end of a gun, so move forward with that in mind. It's what I'll try to do, at least."

"It won't be easy, but it's the right thing to do. Yang - that is, Ya-ong - was so much more than I'd ever imagined. I will honour her will."

Sleeping is my life.

DootDootDoot wrote:
"... She knew I would trust her to find a good subject for the experiment. Maybe it is my fault for putting that trust in her, but, argh..." she answered, getting up. "Forget that. I look forward to working with you again too, doctor." she offered her hand for a handshake. "Let's try to do something good with this research, this time."

Dr. Uwem nods as he shakes Amethyst's hand. "Of course, Amethyst. We should do something good with the research. It looks like we still have a lot to learn, don't we? We need to be able to tell apart people who have psychosis from those who do have Spectre Syndrome. I suppose the experiment with Li An will be a lesson we can learn from..."

X hugs Benedict back. Of course she had the ability to see the hug coming and she knew it was a major possibility. Even so she expresses her shock at the moment.

She takes the ehru as it is offered, “This is undeniably kind of you. If you want me to make my skills better, then I will do it and enjoy it. Thank you for thinking of me. I know that it’s not strictly for me, but for Li An, but it’s real kindness and I will accept it.” X decides to give him a smile, understanding it’s the right thing to do, “We will meet again. At that time, we could meet as friends, if you wanted to.”

She notices Dr.Uwem by her side, “Hello Doctor. We are equals now. Somehow this feels much better to me. Maybe now we can be friends who support one another.” She turns and looks around the beautiful scenery from behind her bandages. “You were curious about my name. In some ways, I became used to X, but it’s not my name. I was called it flippantly by both you and myself for over a year now. My new name for myself will be Qi after my predecessor, Yang. I owe her the Qi that makes up my existence. She did embody Yang, and so I will embody life, Qi,” she reaches out her hands and feels the breeze washing over her, breathing in deeply. Unlike before, something within her mind makes it feel magical.

“I look forward to everyone’s future endeavors. I hope to be a good part of them.”

Sock

Fujisaki stood at a little bit of a distance. He nodded silently to himself, and walked back up to the group after some introspection.

"I've been a fool my whole life. I was not chasing my dreams, but I was chasing something much worse. Absorbed by it. Controlled by it, even. I've done many a thing you would all consider terrible, and from what I can tell, rightfully so."

Fujisaki hung his head, looking down at the grass by his feet. "Through my actions, not only have I caused this war, but I've almost lost what is closest to me. I've put her through pain I can't even imagine..."

"Chasing after one man has made the world a lesser place. While I cannot say I particularly want to leave things as they are, I'll put it to rest. Enough of your people have suffered instead." Fujisaki scratched his cheek. "I have more important things to spend my time on."

He turned over to the doctor and Amethyst, and chose to not ask about whatever that wink was about. "If you two would truly do something like that for her... Then I am not sure how I could repay you. If you... Need any heavy lifting done. Or something else I can manage. I would be happy to help. I would also need to find new work to pay you... Hmm..." Fujisaki mumbled to himself, something about being afraid of being a salaryman. "I'm sure Isuzu would be grateful as well. She is sweet when you get to know her..."

Fujisaki then took a step over to Sunny, but not too close, less he wished to face the wrath of SCISSORS. "Hey, kid. I know it's not worth much, but... I'm sorry. A lot of horrible things that happened back there, you didn't have to see. My word isn't worth much, but you should try and keep your nose out of stuff like this if you get the chance."

Then turning over to the boy's father, Fujisaki had an apologetic look on his face. He hands him a slip of paper, somehow. "Call me sometime. I believe you and I have a lot we could chat about. Heheheh." Fujisaki smiled and laughed, hoping to make the first friend of his life. An American too, who would've guessed? The two men had so much in common it'd be foolish if Fujisaki didn't try.

Finally, he finds Taikong, and like with Sunny, goes over but keeps his distance. "Sun Taikong. During my hunt for Mao, as you know, I've done many things. Things that were bad for your country, and America, and everything in between. More important to you, I imagine, is your father. While we were enemies in the war, my mind was elsewhere. Regardless, it matters little now. I cannot give you the revenge you seek. Just as you have your one to protect, I have my own. If you continue down a path like this, you might find yourself like the man before you. And I don't think either of us want's that." Fujisaki lets out an awkward chuckle.

"Though it already seems you plan on making a difference. I apologize for what I have done, as little as it means, and wish you two luck." Fujisaki smiles, probably the only genuine smile anyone aside from Izusu has seen from him. "If you need me to help clean up this mess, I would do what I could. Though remember, we both have women to return home to."

After one deep breath, Fujisaki looked up at the sky. And remained like that, probably for what seemed like too long, just enjoying the world around him.

Happy Maria

"As friends, huh?" Monk cracked a smile at "X". "I would be more than happy to. See you in the future sometime... Qi." He shook her hand, feeling truly happy now. The woman who used to be his wife no longer troubled him. Her display of genuine emotion put him at ease. Now that her cold demeanour had gone, she finally felt more human. Perhaps this was what he had wanted more than anything, ultimately.

As he turned out, Fujisaki surprised him by giving him his number. "Huh... Well, I don't exactly own a phone right now", he chuckled, "But I'll keep this for when I get one again. Take care, pal." He wasn't expecting this, but it wasn't like he was against it either. It gave him great pleasure to know he had made some friends in all this. He had always enjoyed meeting new people in his former life, after all.

Monk finally looked up to the sky, hands in his pockets. The wind blew against his shabby clothes, soothing him. There was a lot awaiting him once they got out of here, but for now, he decided to simply take in this peaceful moment, content with everything.

With the look on his face, he really did look like a Monk.

Gettin' Old!

NIKI_4829 wrote:
Sunny nods and starts walking towards Monk... But he was also curious about what his mama was saying.

"B-but mama... I wanna keep in contact with my auntie!" He frowns a little once Juanli turns around. "...Even when you were gone that time... she tried taking care of me. Um, she did hurt some people, b-but she just wanted to escape like everyone else! Well, I just don't think she's evil... does that make sense?"

"I 'remember' everything just like everyone else... But please... I believe my auntie can get along with us again! Like the other time..." He doesn't mention his uncle. Sunny looks behind his mother, at Suyin, a sad look in his eyes.

Juanli tutted and smiled sadly "Now Sunny, what did I tell you about eavesdropping on people huh?" she chuckled kneeling down beside him and tweaking his cheek. She sighed and her expression grew more sombre "Now honey, that one time I was...gone and couldn't be with you, your Auntie was responsible for that in some small part. I don't doubt she wanted to survive but there's some things we shouldn't do even so." she cracked a soft smile and directed him to look at X (now Qi). "Look at Miss Qi for example, remember that awful Battle of Earth? Miss Qi chose to let us go, she gave us a gift, even if it wasn't conducive for her survival. That's something incredible she did. Achieving a goal at any cost, isn't...a good thing." she tilts her head slightly to the memorial "It's that kind of thinking that leads to this."

She turned back to Sunny "If you want to know your Auntie, I can understand that but even if she's not an 'evil' villain. I'm not going to let her into the house. If you still want to keep in touch with her...well...we'll talk about that at home but I'm sure we can arrange something."

Her eyes lit up as she reached into her bag, pulled out a sheet of paper and with a rapid combination of hand maneuvers and steel that would make a ninja blush, she produces a small papercraft dragon that she offers to Sunny. "Now, I think I remember in one timeline, promising you a whole load of ice cream once we get out of here. What do you say to that?"

She stands up and turns to Monk and Qi "That offer extends to both of you as well." she looks at the other parents a little uneasily "I think we'll have a lot of things to discuss anyway about the future." she nods at Qi "I don't expect you to be a parent Miss Qi of course, but if you don't have anywhere to go or stay? Well...you are welcome to stay with me and Sunny until you find your feet." Her gaze drifts sideways to Mao. "I don't know how much longer me and Sunny will want to stay in China after this...Mao implied that there's more dangers to Sunny out there." she looked back to Monk "I hope...you'll help us out and I know Sunny would love to spend more time with you as well."
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Mei turns to face Taikong and nods groggily, though she seems to have somewhat sobered up, "I've got my own things to work on now, so that makes two of us. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you, either."

She looks towards Monk and Qi with a pensive gaze, "... I still don't know what to think about that, but maybe... it worked out in the end?"

Happy Maria

"But of course, Juanli." Monk replied smoothly, bowing to the woman. "It would be my greatest pleasure to be with you all. I will... make sure to do my best to support you all. We need to make sure Sunny has a normal upbringing, free from the conflict of this war. If Qi wishes to be with us as well then I gladly welcome her to do so. Now is the time to be supportive of each other, after all."

With the clear, precise polite manner of speech, it was clear this was Benedict, not Monk speaking.

Pierre wrote:
She clipped her handbag shut and turned to her sister, her tone light and matter-of-fact "And sister...you turned out worse than I expected. Don't contact the family again. Mother and father won't want anything to do with you." She nodded "I think you'll be fine with those terms."

Not interested in a reply, Juanli spun on her heel with the grace of a professional model and returned to her family.

"After everything we've been through in this game that's how you want to leave things?" Suyin asks, even though Juanli can no longer hear her. "Well... I suppose I can't exactly blame you." She sighs. "Farewell, sister."

NIKI_4829 wrote:

Suyin smiles at Sunny's words. "I'm glad to hear that Sunny. I was hoping we'd be able to stay in touch as well. Maybe someday we'll be able to talk again, and I could be an actual aunt to you. But for now I'm afraid we'll have to say goodbye."

Sleeping is my life.

"Qi, huh? That's a fitting name." Dr. Uwem nods at Qi, accepting her name choice.

He looks to Fujisaki once the one-armed man spoke to him. "Oh? Isuzu's a sweet person once I get to know her? I look forward to that. And regarding what'll you do to pay us... I'm sure we'll figure something out, won't we?" The doctor was certain that there may be something that Fujisaki can do at his clinic. Speaking of which, the doctor turns to faces the rest of the group.

"Oh yes, there's something that I nearly forgot ever since we woke up in our cells... I never told you where I work, no? Well then..." The doctor said as he smiles. "My clinic's called the Light Beacon Clinic. You're welcome to visit my clinic if you need a checkup or medicine prescriptions. I know I'm different from your ideal doctor, but I take my work as a doctor seriously."

BEECH

Pierre wrote:
Juanli tutted and smiled sadly "Now Sunny, what did I tell you about eavesdropping on people huh?" she chuckled kneeling down beside him and tweaking his cheek. She sighed and her expression grew more sombre "Now honey, that one time I was...gone and couldn't be with you, your Auntie was responsible for that in some small part. I don't doubt she wanted to survive but there's some things we shouldn't do even so." she cracked a soft smile and directed him to look at X (now Qi). "Look at Miss Qi for example, remember that awful Battle of Earth? Miss Qi chose to let us go, she gave us a gift, even if it wasn't conducive for her survival. That's something incredible she did. Achieving a goal at any cost, isn't...a good thing." she tilts her head slightly to the memorial "It's that kind of thinking that leads to this."

She turned back to Sunny "If you want to know your Auntie, I can understand that but even if she's not an 'evil' villain. I'm not going to let her into the house. If you still want to keep in touch with her...well...we'll talk about that at home but I'm sure we can arrange something."

Her eyes lit up as she reached into her bag, pulled out a sheet of paper and with a rapid combination of hand maneuvers and steel that would make a ninja blush, she produces a small papercraft dragon that she offers to Sunny. "Now, I think I remember in one timeline, promising you a whole load of ice cream once we get out of here. What do you say to that?"

She stands up and turns to Monk and Qi "That offer extends to both of you as well." she looks at the other parents a little uneasily "I think we'll have a lot of things to discuss anyway about the future." she nods at Qi "I don't expect you to be a parent Miss Qi of course, but if you don't have anywhere to go or stay? Well...you are welcome to stay with me and Sunny until you find your feet." Her gaze drifts sideways to Mao. "I don't know how much longer me and Sunny will want to stay in China after this...Mao implied that there's more dangers to Sunny out there." she looked back to Monk "I hope...you'll help us out and I know Sunny would love to spend more time with you as well."

"GAH- Sorry, mama..."

"I.... remember the Battle of Earth differently..... I was very scared of miss Qi, but it's also when we got to talk and I got to understand her better! She was also doing everything she could to survive... like my auntie! And just like her, miss Qi kept me safe when she opened the 12 door."

"I think these are things they both wouldn't do in another situation, and that's why I'm not angry at them right now! But that's just me... I understand if Auntie can't come to play at home, since I don't really know what happened between you two..."

Sunny hung his head for a bit before looking at the little papercraft dragon and smiling brightly at the mention of ice cream.
"YAAAAAYY!! ICE CREAM!!!! That sounds awesome!!!" He looks at both Monk and Qi expectantly.

"Oh! But I should probably say goodbye to my auntie first..." Sunny walks up to Suyin.
"Mama said she could arrange something so we can still stay in touch! It's still kinda sad we won't get to meet often... but maybe you two can get along at some point!" Sunny smiled at her and went back to his mom.

Kachu wrote:
Fujisaki then took a step over to Sunny, but not too close, less he wished to face the wrath of SCISSORS. "Hey, kid. I know it's not worth much, but... I'm sorry. A lot of horrible things that happened back there, you didn't have to see. My word isn't worth much, but you should try and keep your nose out of stuff like this if you get the chance."

Sunny jumped a little when Fujisaki spoke to him, but he nodded enthusiastically.
"Yeah! It's o-okay Mr. Fujisaki! I will try my best!! I hope I can meet Mrs. Fujisaki one day as well, she seemed like a nice lady!!" Sunny smiled and looked up at his mom for approval.

"I learned a lot.... I don't think I wanna go to battle anymore, mama. The world is weird, but I guess that's alright!" He hugged Juanli.

"Now let's get that ice cream!!!!"
Re: (NGX) The Zodiac Game (X End)Topic%20Title

ASCEND

Spoiler: Goodbye
“Mama, I don’t think you’ve ever taken me up here,” Sunny shouts.

“Well, of course not,” Juanli says, chuckling to herself. “This is no man’s land.”

Sunny presses his face against the window of the small black van, utterly fascinated by the wasted scenery outside. The midday light lends it an ethereal quality, as if the small motorcade was weaving through the land of the dead.

The group was relieved to find three cars parked outside the front door of the facility. After dividing themselves among the cars, they began steadily driving back towards civilization.

Sitting in the passenger’s seat with the window down, Monk closes his eyes and lets the wind wash over his face.

“Places like this,” Monk adds, nodding his head out the window. “I think everyone should see them at some point in their life. Just as a reminder of how precious this life is, and how much we stand to lose.”

Juanli briefly glances at Monk from behind the wheel but quickly returns her gaze to the road like a safe driver.

“So…are you going to take back your name and try to bring about peace?”

“I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t,” Monk explains, “I think I’ve had my fair share of the spotlight though. Still, it couldn’t hurt to head back to the States and call up some old friends…particularly that loony president.”

“I suppose it’s good that you’re trying to use your status for good again.”

“I do regret the choices I made, but in some ways, they made me a better man,” Monk explains, “After all, I’ve seen Chinese people suffering first-hand for four years, and if that’s taught me one thing, it’s that this war isn’t about borders or governments or cultures—it’s about humanity. Maybe I’d be the best at explaining that.”

“I think you can do it, Mr. Monk,” Sunny shouts from the back seat. “And if you do, you’ll be a real hero!”

“Thanks, son,” Monk says.

He pulls his hat low, perhaps to hide the tears rolling down his cheeks.

Juanli smiles and glances into the rear-view mirror.

“Sunny, are you strapped in back there?”

“Ummm…yeah, Mama, I am!”

“Don’t lie to me, Sunny! I can see you stretched out across the back seat!”

“G-Gah! Uhh…sorry, Mama! I just thought, using the Morpho-whatever Field, I’d tell myself if there was something dangerous coming up!”

“I don’t think it works that way.”

Sunny quickly straightens up and buckles himself in. Hearing the click, Juanli tries her best not to chuckle, but Monk makes no effort at all. He leans toward the window, guffawing loudly with no sign of stopping.

———————

“We need to turn right here,” Suyin says, glancing at a map.

“I know this territory better than you,” Mao replies, “I assure you, we have to turn left.”

“Mao, I’m the one with the map. Can’t you just listen to me for once?”

“I’ll listen if you have something worth saying!”

While the couple continues arguing in the front, Fujisaki and Amandi sit quietly in the back. Fujisaki stares out the window, contemplating the lush grassland outside. They begin to see other cars on the road.

“How long do you think it will take?” Fujisaki asks.

“To bring Isuzu back?” Amandi replies, “Probably a few months, I’m afraid. It will be hard to put together all the funds and materials I need, especially with the war going on.”

“I know these things take time,” Fujisaki replies, “But ever since that vote, I’ve felt empty. It’s maddening.”

“That’s perfectly natural,” Amandi replies, “You are missing something that used to be a part of you.”

Amandi takes out the green flash drive and holds it in front of him.

“Perhaps this way… I can make things right.”

Suddenly, the car swerves right as Suyin grabs the wheel. Mao fights with her, causing the car to continue straight ahead, plowing through an old wooden sign post.

“Damn it!” Fujisaki shouts, “Watch where you’re going! We only have one flash drive!”

The other two cars in the motorcade slow down as they watch Mao’s car careen wildly through the grassland.

———————

After a long drive, the group returns to Beijing and finds the city in a state of disarray. Driving past the buildings, it’s clear that the city is still recovering from the American bombing.

Of course, the traffic is still atrocious.

Mei sits in the driver’s seat, pounding her fingers on the wheel. Taikong sits next to her, with Amethyst and Qi in the back seat. The bandaged woman hasn’t moved for most of the ride, as if embroiled in deep meditation or simply dead.

“All of this…and we still have to go back to the battlefield,” Taikong grumbles.

“Do you?” Amethyst asks, “I mean, I’m not an expert on the law, but running a death game’s gotta have some consequences, right?”

“You’d be surprised at what they can get away with not discharging you for,” Mei replies.

“Ideally, the two of you would receive some form of rehabilitation,” Qi adds, her head jerking toward the others. “Amethyst, I believe, may not be allowed back on the force, as long as she continues to go by Amethyst.”

“And I’m not going by any other name again,” Amethyst says, “If this game taught me anything, it’s that.”

“Perhaps I could try to convince Mao to get you out of the conflict,” Qi adds, “Due to his beliefs, he would not be against it…though I’m not sure how much longer he will have his position.”

“That would be kind of you, X…err, Qi,” Taikong replies, “As long as I’m with Mei, everything should be fine.”

“I believe everyone deserves a second chance.”

The car ahead of Mei stops again. The street fills with the blare of car horns.

“Oh, fuck this,” Mei says, “I need to get out of here.”

Mei parks the car in the middle of the road and gets out, stepping onto the sidewalk. The other players exchange a glance and then decide she probably has the right idea.

Behind them, Mao climbs out of his car, which is now missing a side-view mirror. Qi hangs back as the former soldiers walk down the sidewalk together.

“Where are they going?” Mao shouts.

“Back to their lives, I assume,” Fujisaki explains, “I can’t exactly blame them.”

A nearby reporter covering the bombing spots Mao out of the corner of his eye.

“You, you’re the general who disappeared in the bombing, right?” The reporter asks, rushing over with the microphone. “What happened to you? Who are these people?”

“It’s a very long story, and I won’t be taking questions at this time,” Mao answers, “I need some time to rest.”

Stepping out of the car, Amandi walks over to the reporter.

“You’re an American journalist, right?” he asks.

“Yes, I am. Why?”

“I have something you might be interested to hear about that general,” Amandi explains, “It’s all here on this flash drive.”

“What?” Mao shouts, “What did you find on that thing?”

“I’d be careful of what you say,” Amandi replies, “Remember, the cameras are watching.”

Mao feels the entire world’s gaze start to leer down on him.

“Take it from a tactician, Mao,” Qi adds, “Sometimes the only way to win is to put your weapon down.”

Spoiler: Farewell
“Where were you when the war ended?”

———————

Benedict spent the entire day embroiled in peace talks. Despite having no official occupation aside from being a homeless vagrant, his contacts dragged him along for the ride. President Truman at least had the sense to know there wasn’t a better man for the job.

Thanks to showering and getting fitted for a new suit, he looked like he belonged there. He stood at the table where the president and other American diplomats sat, facing the delegates from China headed by President Tan.

Benedict served as mediator of the conflict, helping the group work out the terms of the armistice. They were making progress.

When the pens touched paper, it felt to Benedict like the world was brightening again.

———————

“I’ll let you do the honors,” Amethyst said, sliding the keyboard over. “Don’t mess it up.”

Fujisaki carefully aimed his finger and sharply tapped the Enter key.

Text flooded the screen, tracking the progress of the operation. Fujisaki stared at the form seated against the wall beyond the window, a machine hooked to her head. The slender, black-haired figure matched his wife almost perfectly. Amandi stood vigilantly nearby, ready to act if something went wrong.

Not planning to wait for the terminal to finish, Fujisaki rushed into the operating room. Amandi held his hand up as he entered.

“Don’t get any closer,” Amandi said, “We can’t risk anything interfering with the procedure.”

Fujisaki nodded and stood by the entrance, watching the form of Isuzu. He waited in anticipation…

Until suddenly, she opened her eyes.

“Isuzu?” Fujisaki said, “Is that really you in there?”

For a moment, she was unresponsive, but as her eyes took focus of her surroundings, she returned Fujisaki’s smile.

“Hiro… of course it is,” Isuzu said, “I remember everything, and I couldn’t be happier that we’re together.”

Hiroyuki rushed over to his wife and embraced her. Then he squinted as he looked at her face.

“Honestly though,” he mumbled, “I don’t remember your nose being this big…”

“Oh, Hiro… shut up.”

She pulled him closer and kissed him.

“Excellent, it worked,” Amandi mumbled, “This proves that my methods are effective. Now to find more people that are suffering.”

“Guys?” Amethyst shouted from the other room. “I just saw something online and…I have some great news.”

———————

Sunny came rushing in from the back room while Juanli was restocking the shelves in her store.

“Mama!” he said, “The guy on the TV said that the war’s going to end!”

“What?” Juanli replied, “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I saw it on the news!”

Juanli grabbed Sunny’s hand and rushed outside. She was hit with a wave of cheers as other citizens poured out of their homes, reveling in the joy that can only come with peacetime.

“Come on, Sunny!” Juanli said, turning to her son. “Let’s go get ice cream.”

“But what about your store?” Sunny asked.

“Some things are more important.”

———————

“What are you going to do now?” Suyin asked, cutting into her meat with her knife. “Now that the war is over?”

Mao stared at his plate. He’d barely taken a bite.

“I don’t know,” He said. Options were limited. Soon after the leak of the "rumors" surrounding Mao, he had been forced to resign to save some face. “What am I supposed to do? President Tan won’t even return my calls.”

“I suppose kidnapping children tends to have consequences,” Suyin replied calmly.

“You think I don’t know that?” Mao shouted, causing Suyin to flinch. “But I had associates who were involved in worse. Why am I taking the blame?”

“It seems to me that China is having enough of people like you,” Suyin replied, “Unless you’re willing to change, you’re going to be left behind.”

“I’m not the one here who needs to change,’ Mao said, slamming a fist on the table.

“That’s interesting,” Suyin said, scowling. “Because for the last few months, I’ve been the only one here earning money.”

Mao looked at his wife, taking steady breaths and approaching the dreadful conclusion that she was correct.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me,” Suyin said, picking up her plate. “I have to finish a report for Wen Bolin. We’re going to be meeting with the President in a few days about my future.”

Suyin rose and walked out of the room. Mao remained, leaning over the table and staring into the candle, which was nearly melted down to the stick.

———————

“How does it feel?” Qi asked, “To know that peace has finally dawned?”

“It wasn’t soon enough,” Taikong replied, sitting on a couch with his head turned to the side. “Who knows how many soldiers we lost after they signed those documents.”

“But…isn’t it better for peace to come late than to not come at all?” Mei asked, lying on the couch with her head in Taikong’s lap.

“I suppose,” Taikong mumbled, sighing. “But if I'd just done more—”

"No, we've been over this," Mei chastised him gently. "You left peace in the capable hands of the others. You'd have only destroyed yourself if you kept going."

The group sat in the visitor’s lounge of a rehabilitation center. A latent feeling of exhilaration could be sensed in the muted atmosphere, though many of the people there had little to look forward to.

"Yeah, you're right. My time here…some days I almost feel like I did back before the war. Though this peace I so desperately fought for won't erase the scars the fight left behind."

“Even if scars do not heal, one can learn to live with them,” Qi explained, “What do the two of you plan on doing now?”

Taikong closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

“I still don’t feel safe going back out there,” he said, “But I know that someday I’ll be able to. Mei’s been handling it way better than me though. How long have you been clean for now?”

“Uhh…” Mei sighs in embarrassment. “About…three days.”

“What? Where’d you even get—”

“Look, I fucked up, but it won’t happen again,” Mei replied, “It’s hard, but I’m improving. That’s all that matters.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Taikong said, chuckling quietly. “Hell, if I could go three days without having nightmares I’d certainly be celebrating.”

“You are certainly making steady progress,” Qi said, “I believe, with time, you will recover from this.”

The three took a moment to appreciate the silence in the room.

“Taikong,” Mei added, “I want to celebrate the New Years’ with you…out in Beijing. Do you think we can make that happen?”

“You know what?” Taikong smiled, “I think we can.”

“That sounds like an excellent goal,” Qi said, suddenly rising from her chair. “I will leave you to it then. Perhaps I’ll see you there.”

She turned and headed for the door. Mei sat up and watched her go, seeming a little disappointed.

“Qi,” Taikong shouted after her. “Thank you for visiting and trying to help us…It really meant a lot.”

“Don’t focus on what I did,” Qi said, “Focus on what you will do.”

And in a flash, she was gone.

Spoiler: Amen
“30…29…28…27…26…”

Mao sits alone in an empty house, drinking beer from the bottle.

The television casts its light over the dim, messy room, displaying the New Years Celebration miles away. However, Mao is no longer a distinguished guest, only another spectator among millions. The war ended without his efforts. It's been a long time since he’s seen Suyin. Even Bao now found it too risky to be seen with him.

Mao always thought he would leave a legacy. Maybe if he was lucky, he'd appear in a history book as a punchline.

He lies on the sofa, ambiguously conscious. The wheel of progress turns, grinding him beneath it.

“25…24…23…22…21…”

Far away in Japan, a couple lies together on the couch in their apartment, tuning into the broadcast though paying very little attention to it.

“The energy of tonight,” Hiroyuki says, “It feels just like four years ago.”

“Yeah, it does,” Isuzu replies, “But no one has to die this time.”

Hiroyuki laughs.

“That’s probably for the best.”

A small suitcase rests near the door, overflowing with paperwork—right where Hiroyuki had left it.

“20…19…18…17…16…”

The medical room is filled with patients, all victims of reckless jubilee. Their eyes are glued to the TV mounted on the far wall. Amandi steps out of his office, slowly pushing a plastic chair along with one foot. He lets out a weary sigh as he sits in the middle of the room.

A nearby patient watches the doctor enter and flashes a smile to him.

“Must be tiring spending every New Year’s like this…”

Amandi raises an eyebrow and chuckles.

“I guess you could call it tradition.”

“15…14…13…12…11…”

The celebration itself is being held once again at the Bird’s Nest Stadium, which had been repaired over the war. The seats are certainly less packed than usual, and more security officials are wandering around than there used to be. However, it seems appropriate to honor the end of the war at the place where it first began.

Once again, Chinese and American delegates are in the center of the stadium, but they share the same stage. It’s harder to spot the divisions between them.

Mei and Taikong sit near the back, watching the show on the massive television screen.

“Well…we did it, Taikong.”

“We certainly did,” Taikong replies, “Though I’m not actually sure how much we accomplished.”

“Might as well celebrate anyway,” Mei says, raising her drink in the air. “To the Year of the Ox, and the old bastard who embodied its worst principles. May he be forever forgotten!”

Taikong laughs, putting his arm around Mei.

“I can certainly drink to that!” he says, clicking their styrofoam cups together.

The two pause, ignoring the performance on-stage and appreciating the view of each other’s smiling eyes.

“10…9…8…7…6…”

Amethyst walks down the steps of the stadium, drink in her hand, though her eyes are locked on the scene below.

“I knew you would be here.”

Amethyst turns toward the sound of the voice, spotting a familiar dark-haired woman.

“Qi?” Amethyst shouts, “What are you doing here?”

“I was invited by Juanli,” Qi explains, “Or, by her son, to be precise.”

“Oh, that’s nice. You’re really making something of yourself, huh?”

“I just wanted to thank you again for allowing me to exist,” Qi says, “Even if it may have not been entirely intentional. I am glad to be in the world.”

Amethyst pauses on the stairs, contemplating the figure her AI had become.

"I always thought Ya-ong could do great things, if she wasn't chained down to being a war machine,” Amethyst says, smiling. “I'm just glad to see I was right."

“5…4…3…2…1…”

“That Miss Qi sure is an interesting woman, huh…” an old woman mutters.

“Yeah, Nainai!” Sunny says, “She really is!”

Juanli looks at her parents from the other side of Sunny, a conspicuously empty seat beside her.

“I’m glad the two of you could finally come visit,” Juanli says.

“We should have come earlier,” Juanli’s father adds, “But it is such a treat to see your sister on the stage there.”

“Of course,” Juanli says, pausing for a moment. “Wait, what?”

“A-Auntie’s here?” Sunny shouts.

“Happy New Year!”

The fireworks blast non-violently into the air, casting their colorful glow across the stage as the delegates begin to stand. Pausing to glance at the fireworks above, they mill about and shaking hands.

Two delegates suddenly notice each other and immediately approach.

“Fancy meeting you here,” Benedict says.

“Of course,” Suyin replies, smiling coyly. “I wouldn’t have thought you’d step foot on the stage here again.”

“That was four years ago,” Benedict says, “A new age is dawning. I mean, just look at yourself. The only people on your side that day were old men.”

“We have a long way to go,” Suyin replies, “But I think the world is really starting to change.”

“I certainly feel like I can breathe easier now…but it isn’t the time to be thinking about that! Happy New Year!”

“Of course. Happy New Year.”

The pair smiles and shakes hands as blossoms blaze bright in the sky above them.

Spoiler: ???
An old Chinese woman picks up a history textbook and starts speaking at length about the Yin and Yang, Daoist philosophies, and how they impacted modern life and adjacent philosophical structures in China.

To the young boy in the back, the subject is unbelievably boring. All those people had died centuries ago, so what does it matter to him? What he really cares about is the new game that’s releasing that afternoon. His mom said she was gonna pick it up, so it oughta to be waiting at home for him!

There’s still five hours until school ends though. Might as well try to make use of them.

He turns to the boy sitting next to him. He had joined the class a few days ago, and honestly he didn’t fit in. He had this strange way of talking, and he barely seemed to make emotions. The boy had never met anyone like him before.

But then again, who was he to say the other kid didn’t fit in? He was the only kid in the class with American parents, and he was reminded of it quite frequently.

After thinking to himself, the kid decides to talk to him. He leans over and starts whispering.

“Hey, do you have any clue what’s happening here?”

The other boy turns to him. He smiles and nods.

“Mm-hm. I know all about this subject,” he explains, “I already memorized the entire textbook.”

“Oh, huh…wait, what?”

“Though if I’m being honest, that only makes the lecture quite dull. I’m looking forward to recess, but I still don’t know any of the games the other kids play.”

“Huh…yeah, that must be pretty lame. I can teach you some of them later.”

“That would be excellent,” the boy replies, extending his hand. “Let’s shake on it—as friends do.”

The other boy cocks an eyebrow but eventually returns the handshake.

“Yeah…friends sounds great.”

The two shook hands.

“I have a strange feeling that you will be…important in the future.”

“Really, huh? I mean, I hope so!”

The fluorescent lights in the ceiling shine on the two children. On the floor, their shadows grasp hands tightly.

晚安,北京~终
(Goodnight, Beijing ~ END)

Timelines Complete: 7

游戏结束

Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Page 56 of 56 [ 2230 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus