Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 5 of 21[ 818 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread Chapter 1Topic%20Title

ASCEND

HonestIago wrote:
"I like your outfit! It's very Miami Vice! Have you been watching it? It's not exactly my favorite but I do enjoy it quite a bit. And also how are you uncle Fritz?"

"Ah...thanks, Lynde," Fritz said, clearly surprised by the comment but trying not to show it. "I have seen it a few times. It's always valuable for creators to study the greats, you know! But yes, our family's been doing well. What about you? Been working on any interesting projects lately."

He spoke incredibly loudly to ensure he could be heard over "Material Girl."

Winston Payne wrote:
Afterwards, he made his way over to Friedrich, "Fritz, my boy, it's so good to see you. How's tha-," said Heinrich before being interupted by a cough. "T-that show of yours doing at the moment?" he continued.

"Oh, the show?" Fritz replied, a nervous look covering his face. "Well, the finale of the latest season aired a few weeks ago, and everyone's talking about it. Perhaps we could talk more about that later."

"How have you been, Heinrich?" Fritz asked, his smile returning. "I must say, you look as sprightly as ever."
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Meta re-enters the hall, dressed in a matching robin's-egg-blue pencil skirt and suit coat. As is common for the era, her suit coat is padded to give her artificially square shoulders. She politely listens to the others for a while.

"Oh, a book that's not a mystery?" Meta asks, listening to Ingrid and Agnes. "It must be quite special then."

"Anyway, maybe we could move out of the hall? I was hoping to have some coffee to keep me awake," Meta says, with a timid smile. "I also don't want to add any stress to anyone by going anywhere before it's ready. Huhuhu..."

Mia quietly made her way in, carrying a couple good-sized suitcases. "Ah, h-hello, everyone. Nice to see you..." she smiled, briefly attempting to raise her hand in a wave before remembering it was occupied.

Happy Maria

Edna continued to welcome the others. As Harley greeted her, she nodded back, not particularly perturbed by his dirty clothing. "Why, yes, yes... It's a lot, but you could say I've been faring well enough", she responded in a somewhat laissez faire fashion. "Sorry to hear the children couldn't make it though. Send Christina and the family my regards."

She seemed pretty happy at Ingrid's present. Always good for Agnes to have something to distract herself with, she told herself.

At Meta's suggestion, she turned around and nodded curtly. "Yes, yes, you're quite right, Meta. Hmm..." Realising that this would be a good time for a distraction considering she had basically nothing planned for the reunion, she suddenly had an idea. "Ah, uh... how about we all come inside the house? Please don't worry about the luggage", she told everyone whose suitcases were still in their possession. "Julia will take care of all that. For now, how about, er... I give all of you a nice house tour? It's been a while since you were all here, so..."

Shy guy

"A house tour? That would be wonderful," Verrier suddenly spoke up, returning from further inside the house. While the others had all gathered in the hall to greet each other, he'd gone straight inside like he owned the place. Then again, Albrecht probably felt like he did. By the looks of things Verrier had left the old man somewhere and gone to check on what everyone else was doing.

"Geistfabel is a little before my time, I've only ever visited as a guest. I'd quite enjoy the opportunity to look around! This way I don't have to feel like I'm skulking when I search for clues to solve Gideon's final riddle." Two years on and he was still as intent on finding the headship ring as ever, it would seem. "You know, you don't realise how much you need those last few pages of a mystery novel until you find yourself without them... It's quite the puzzle Gideon set up for us."

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna, whose hair seemed to have grown out a bit, hastily stepped into the hall with a chef's skull cap sitting squarely on her face, which definitely looked strained from the continuous work. "Of course everyone's here already!" She commented, taking a quick note of who hadn't had their luggage brought away yet.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Mia quietly made her way in, carrying a couple good-sized suitcases. "Ah, h-hello, everyone. Nice to see you..." she smiled, briefly attempting to raise her hand in a wave before remembering it was occupied.

The servant looked over to Mia and spoke with a hint of particular haste, "Welcome, welcome, would you like help with your suitcases?"

KamiPanda wrote:
"Geistfabel is a little before my time, I've only ever visited as a guest. I'd quite enjoy the opportunity to look around! This way I don't have to feel like I'm skulking when I search for clues to solve Gideon's final riddle." Two years on and he was still as intent on finding the headship ring as ever, it would seem. "You know, you don't realise how much you need those last few pages of a mystery novel until you find yourself without them... It's quite the puzzle Gideon set up for us."

"Oh, you have no idea how much Gideon would laugh hearing that about one of his mysteries." Ingrid spoke up, closing and handing her suitcase to Juna. "Don't you know it's admitting defeat to ask for the last pages without giving your final answer?"

Shy guy

"Oh, certainly," Verrier replied with a smile. "Much as I might not have liked the man, I cannot deny his mystery-writing talent. These last two years I tried to simply analyse the books, see if there were any clues, but instead I found myself drawn in. It wasn't long before I was trying to solve the mysteries before the answer was shown. The difference, however, is that the answer was always there. Turn a few more pages and you would find out if you were right or wrong, and if you were wrong you would be told the real answer. Here, though... Here we are stumbling in the dark, with nothing to guide us, and with no clear light at the end. It makes for an altogether rather difference experience, even though the same man is behind both things."

"It is true Gideon left us almost no direction or even clues to go off of." Ingrid met Verrier's smile with her own. "But just because you can't see it doesn't mean there isn't a light at the end. All you have to do is trust that there is an answer, and you'll have no problems tackling this like any other mystery."

"Ah, but of course." she sighed. "I almost forgot. You're hardly family at all, so of course you wouldn't know Gideon well enough to trust him like that."

Shy guy

"Quite right. My familiarity with Gideon only extends as far as knowing he cheated my master out of his rightful place as family head," Verrier responded, still smiling.

"'Rightful'. Odd choice of words. By all means, whoever the previous head selected is the rightful heir." she answered. "You must be more of an outsider than I thought if you don't even know that much."

Shy guy

"I wonder about that," Verrier replied neutrally, tapping his fan against one of his cheeks. "Still! I suppose that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't want to sour this family reunion. I am, as you say, only an outsider after all."

KamiPanda wrote:
"I wonder about that," Verrier replied neutrally, tapping his fan against one of his cheeks. "Still! I suppose that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't want to sour this family reunion. I am, as you say, only an outsider after all."

"Of course, of course. There's no point arguing about the headship anyways, with Gideon's mystery acting as arbiter." Ingrid agreed. "The reunion hasn't even properly started yet."

Everybody got settled and unpacked in their respective bedrooms. It’s been a while since they’ve gotten the full tour of the place, so they went off as a group.

[Scene Music]

Main House
Spoiler: Basement
Houses a boiler that can go to insanely high temperatures (a true mystery fan needs an incinerator if necessary) as well as a circuit breaker.

Accessible via the backyard (storm doors) and hallway via staircase.

Spoiler: Foyer (1F)
The main hall of the mansion. Perfect for confronting culprits and the like. Lynde’s diorama of the mansion is on display here (respectively, his diorama of the guest house is on display in the guest house hall).

Spoiler: Dining Room (1F)
On the west side of the house was a beautiful dining room. The most well-loved room in the family--no matter how many bad memories some of the residents had in this house, they had always been fortunate with delicious meals.

Accessible via the hallway and parlor.

Spoiler: Parlor (1F)
Adjacent to the dining room. A great lounge area that has the more comfortable chairs and couches in the house. It has a bar available as well, which is great since everybody is of age to drink.

Accessible via the hallway and dining room.

Spoiler: Kitchen (1F)
A large kitchen, always kept meticulously clean. Houses a large industrial freezer as well and plenty of counter space for stress-free preparation. Also houses a large pantry and a separate scullery.

Accessible via the dining room and hallway.

Spoiler: Ballroom (1F)
A large room with a grand piano and some couches. Has a brilliantly large window opening up to the backyard.

Spoiler: Large Servant’s Quarters (Verrier, Jolina - 1F)
A lounge area for the servants. Can also be used as two bedrooms. Verrier sleeps here because it’s close to Albrecht’s room.

Spoiler: Guest Room (Albrecht - 1F)
Albrecht can’t climb stairs, so he’s forced to sleep in the guest room on the first floor.

Spoiler: Guest Room (Heinrich - 1F)
An ordinary guest room on the first floor.

Spoiler: Guest Room (Meta - 1F)
An ordinary guest room on the first floor.

Spoiler: Master Bedroom (Edna and Gideon’s Room - 2F)
The largest bedroom in the house. The room Gideon went to bed in on the night of his death. It seems Edna has not thrown out a lot of Gideon’s possessions, which were of course here the day of his death.

A drug that can make someone appear dead, actor profiles for people who look like Gideon, half-burnt blackmail letters, deadly poisons, doctors he had paid off that could potentially fake autopsies, a mask and cloak identical to Raphael’s… it almost feels like Gideon is making fun of them.

Spoiler: Agnes’ Bedroom (Ingrid - 2F)
Agnes’ bedroom. Filled with various writing materials as well as an impressive collection of books. It’s Ingrid’s old bedroom and since Agnes doesn’t sleep here during reunions, she takes it.

Spoiler: Guest Room (Mia - 2F)
A guest room like all the others, Mia sleeps here.

Spoiler: Fritz’s Bedroom (2F)
Fritz’s old bedroom where he and Cici sleep.

Spoiler: Harley’s Bedroom (2F)
Harley’s old bedroom where he stays during reunions.

Spoiler: Library (2F)
A large sprawling library. Has all of Gideon’s books of course, as well as pretty much any mystery novel one could want. Also has an Atlas, Encyclopedias, non-fiction, and other fiction books.

Spoiler: Study (3F)
The old attic which Gideon had converted to a study. He spent a lot of time cooped up here writing and drinking.

Accessible via staircase from second floor.

Guest House (5 minute walk from the mansion)

Spoiler: Wine Cellar
Wine cellar. The collection is massive, and many are outsourced from a family vineyard as well. For sommeliers, wine snobs, and drunks, nobody could be disappointed.

Spoiler: Small Kitchen (1F)
A small kitchen area that also has a separate freezer. Can be used to prepare meals for a smaller group of people.

Spoiler: Lounge (1F)
A simple lounge area to enjoy TV or coffee in the morning. Similar in quality to the parlor and can be used as a space to eat meals as well.

Spoiler: First Floor Guest Room (1F)
Unoccupied guest room. The same room Gideon’s corpse was found in, so it generally wasn’t used except for some miscellaneous storage.

Spoiler: Lynde’s Bedroom (1F)
Lynde was offered the choice to stay in the mansion when arrived but found the privacy more comforting in the guest house. Cluttered with various dollmaking tools and dioramas, but in a very organized way.

Spoiler: Large Guest Room (Agnes, Erik, Lynde - 2F)
A large guest room with several beds. During reunions, Agnes, Erik, and Lynde usually stay in this room and stay up late playing games.

Spoiler: Guest Room (Raphael - 2F)
An ordinary guest room.

Spoiler: Servant’s Quarters (2F - Julia)
A lounge area for the servants. Can also be used as a bedroom.

Spoiler: Juna’s Bedroom (2F)
Juna’s bedroom. Doesn’t seem like she personalized it too much and only keeps around functional items.

Outside

Spoiler: Beach
A very lovely beach to watch the sun rise/set from. Even better in the summer, but there’s a serenity to it in colder seasons still.

Spoiler: Pond
A small pond, which usually is more of a nuisance due to the amount of mosquitoes it inflicts on the family. Has a shed for fishing/ice fishing equipment and houses two canoes.

Spoiler: Garden
Beautiful garden prepared in front of the house. Always carefully taken care of by the servant staff. Smaller plots exist on the sides of the house as well.

Spoiler: Garage
Houses a Mercedes-Benz and an Audi. Space for another vehicle, which Edna said was an offroad vehicle that usually stayed outside There are some open tracks of land around the island to drive but it’s a short distance and the rest of the island is relatively rocky. The cars are more here to show off.

Adjacent to the mansion but not attached. There’s a workroom attached as well.

Spoiler: Gazebo
A nice and scenic gazebo.

Spoiler: Boathouse
Adjacent to the docks. Perfect place to park a boat.

Bathrooms are also scattered throughout both houses and every bedroom has one.

----------

[Scene Music]

The last stop of the house tour was Gideon’s tomb. The family were magnetically drawn to it like, trying to find the secret behind it. And yet every time they visited, they were reminded of their silly, evil relative.

Inwardly, they couldn’t help but laugh. This “competition” had been a great thing for many of the family members who had given up on being head, and even for the others who had a legitimate chance of a fortune for being allowed near this treasure. No matter their opinion, Gideon had made everybody care deeply about a closed room so it was his victory.

The family had agreed to keep the tomb a secret, but it leaked to the public regardless. People constantly wanted to visit the island and see the tomb, but Edna had to keep them away. The rumor was spreading like wildfire and it was only a matter of time before somebody broke into the tomb and ended all speculation.

“Take as long as you all need.” Juna told the family. “But when you are done, we can start serving dinner.”

[This scene won’t last long at all, we’ll transition to dinner quickly]

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingrid immediately went up to the tomb's imposing door and placed her hands on it. She spent a few moments prodding at the seams, like the stone would suddenly somehow show a crack she could peer into.

Nothing came of that, obviously. Ultimately she just stood there with her hands on the door and a somber expression.

Shy guy

Verrier seemed satisfied leaving the examination to Ingrid, so stood to one side, not having anything to contribute.

ASCEND

By the time Fritz got to the tomb, he was already prepared to leave. He paced restlessly near the edge of the group, maintaining only a sidelong view of the tomb. At one point, upon nearing Cici, he smiled at jabbed at Ingrid and Verrier with his thumb, as if saying, "Get a load of these jokers."
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

“Alright then, let’s head to dinner.” Someone unceremoniously and anticlimactically decided.

“Oh and Miss Pfeiffer?” Juna interrupted. “You have a phone call.”

“Is it my office?”

“He wouldn’t say.”

Mia seemed surprised, but told everyone to not wait for her as they got started.

----------

Spoiler: 1953
[Scene Music]

“Whaaat? It was just a fake death?!” Harley shouted with dismay.

“I see.” Ingrid smiled. “All the clues were there that it was the head’s children from the beginning--I was able to figure it out once I realized we already saw the fake death drug in advance.”

“This was stupid.” Harley shook his head, feeling like he wasted his time reading the book. “That twist made this whole thing a waste of time.”

Mindlessly, Harley went to one of Fritz’s toys and began taking it apart. Fritz began to cry and Harley began to put it back together, but Fritz already began hitting him in anger.

“This was really good, Gideon!” Ingrid smiled. “Maybe just make some of the individual mysteries harder, and give the head’s sister-in-law more scenes. That’ll make the betrayal sting more.”

Gideon nodded, noting down Ingrid’s criticism.

Fritz eventually walked over, seeming all cried out. “I really liked the crazy uncle. I guess.” He was still young so a lot of the story went over his head.

“Oooh yes! My favorite character is usually the detective!” Ingrid said. “Without them, the mystery has no conclusion. It’s easiest for the reader to relate to them the most as well. What about you, Gideon?”

Gideon smiled in his usual way that made everyone feel on edge. “The killer of course. Without them, there is no mystery.”

----------

7:00 PM

Everybody sat down for dinner. Mia wasn’t here as expected, but it seemed Agnes was also running late. The first course (a wonderful soup) had already been served.

Everybody was enjoying some light conversation, and even those at the end of the table could hear those on the other end.

(Mia and Agnes will enter at any point when their players decide)

Spoiler: Dinner Seating Chart
Code:
      Agnes
Erik        Lynde
Raphael     Edna
Harley      Fritz
Ingrid      Cici
Mia         Albrecht 
Heinrich    Verrier
Meta

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

[The dinner scene has a few things planned but the story will actually START START afterwards. Also if your character REALLY NEEDS A LOT OF MONEY, you should mention it at any appropriate point in this scene whether publicly or through inner monologue for the reader's sake]

Sleeping is my life.

At some point while enjoying the first course, Harley have paused to update his family on what have been going on in his life lately. It seems that he have changed out of his dirty uniform and into a white t-shirt (which he insisted was different from the one that he wore as part of his work uniform) and jeans. He's still wearing the tan work boots.

"So, Karl will be 18 in three months. Can you believe it? He's almost a young adult, that is! Daniel will be 16 a few months after that. Though, they haven't bicker as much as they used to... I don't know why, but I suppose that they must be getting mature as they get older." The auto mechanic said before he takes a spoonful of soup.

"And if anyone's wondering about how's my business is going... It's doing really great, I even got to expand my business by opening a new mechanic shop." As Harley talked about his business, the mechanic seems to be idly tapping his left hand's fingers on the table.

ASCEND

Fritz, who didn't particularly care for soup, choked down his dish for the sake of politeness.

"Ah, this soup is...quite rich," he said, "My compliments to the chef. I'm sure the rest of the courses will be even better."

Fritz glanced up at his brother sitting across from him.

"That's good to hear, Harley. Establishing your mechanical empire, huh?" he said with a chuckle. "It seems like most of our fortunes have been going up lately..."

"What about you, Ingrid? How's your business? Or have you just been reading lately?" Fritz asked, turning to his sister.

Planetbox wrote:
"What about you, Ingrid? How's your business? Or have you just been reading lately?" Fritz asked, turning to his sister.

"... Business is fine." Ingrid answered. This is what's known as lying. In truth, before Gideon's death, Ingrid had taken a rather large loan from him for a business venture that hasn't paid off yet, and though no one at the table knew about it, if someone were to become family head they would be able to collect it.

In short, Ingrid MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE. REALLY NEEDED. A LOT OF MONEY. RIGHT NOW.

"And speaking of business, what about you, Friedrich? Are you still doing that show?" she continued.

No other way than to make this mistake.

Planetbox wrote:
Fritz, who didn't particularly care for soup, choked down his dish for the sake of politeness.

"Ah, this soup is...quite rich," he said, "My compliments to the chef. I'm sure the rest of the courses will be even better."

Juna, with her hat still on, was standing near the doorway, holding a tray close to her chest. Her eye twitched at Fritz for a moment.

"I'm very glad you enjoyed it," She said, forcing an uncanny smile, "Perhaps you'd like another serving?"

Her mind was briefly taken elsewhere by the mention of a business, specifically to a somewhat distant past. If only she had enough money to guarantee a place for the rest of her family...

ASCEND

DootDootDoot wrote:
"And speaking of business, what about you, Friedrich? Are you still doing that show?" she continued.

"Of course I am!" Fritz replied with a delighted laugh. "Too bad you didn't catch the season finale. It's really been making waves in the entertainment community!"

This is what's known as stretching the truth. While plenty of critics had been discussing the finale, almost all of them did so negatively. The finale had managed to jump the shark three times in a horribly embarrassing fashion, so viewers had been evacuating the show in droves. There'd even been talk of laying Gustav Grimsley to rest forever. Anyone who'd been keeping up with the show would probably know about this. Needless to say, Fritz MORE THAN ANYTHING. HE REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY. RIGHT NOW!

Despite everyone's claims of family camaraderie, it seemed that a dense fog of secrecy lingered over the table.

Datamatt wrote:
"I'm very glad you enjoyed it," She said, forcing an uncanny smile, "Perhaps you'd like another serving?"

"No, no," Fritz said, nudging the bowl away. "I wouldn't want to take more than my fair share. Besides, I need to keep my appetite ready for the upcoming courses!"

Shy guy

"The finale certainly was... interesting," Verrier said politely. As usual, no-one could tell what he really felt behind the smile.

There was a chance that MORE THAN ANYTHING. HE REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY. RIGHT NOW! Yet equally likely was the possibility that in his head, the only thing he currently desired was to taste the next delicious dish in the multi-course meal. There was no way of knowing. The only one who might have known Verrier's feelings on the matter was currently sipping soup with a blank expression, not showing any signs of having taken in any of the conversation.

Albrecht had slowed down a lot since the last reunion. No-one had any doubt that if this were the old Albrecht, then MORE THAN ANYTHING. HE REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY. RIGHT NOW! Yet it was unclear if the current Albrecht wanted anything at all, other than to bathe in the fading memories of his past.

"Where's my watch?" he abruptly demanded, turning to face Verrier with sudden clarity. "I could have sworn I had it on just a few hours ago."

"It went missing two years ago, remember?" Verrier replied. "Back during Gideon's funeral." The pair had made quite a scene about this back then. Apparently the watch Albrecht had left out to dry had disappeared by the time Verrier went to retrieve it. Verrier said a servant must have taken it, but no-one could prove anything either way and in the end the matter went unresolved. Albrecht's failing memory meant he kept bringing it up long after the fact, so the others around the table were well used to this scene now.

"Yes, indeed..." Albrecht replied vaguely, not giving any impression he'd really understood. He went back to sipping his soup.

Happy Maria

"Oh, that's fantastic to hear, Fritz!" Edna gave a glowing smile to the man. "I'm sure Gideon would be so proud to see the show inspired by his work reach so many people..." Ouch. "I'm glad to see you're enjoying the dinner too! Juna always does marvelous work with this... If you loved the soup that much, then you should definitely have seconds, yes yes." Double ouch.

She dug into her dinner, seemingly enjoying it quite a lot. She seemed in an excellent mood all things considered.

Rookie Killer

Planetbox wrote:
"Oh, the show?" Fritz replied, a nervous look covering his face. "Well, the finale of the latest season aired a few weeks ago, and everyone's talking about it. Perhaps we could talk more about that later."

"How have you been, Heinrich?" Fritz asked, his smile returning. "I must say, you look as sprightly as ever."

"I see no issue with that, though I hope we can talk about it soon," Heinrich seemed a bit disappointed but continued on, "Thank you for saying that, I always try be. As for how I've been, things are going well. Did I tell you about..." After he finished talking to Friedrich, he gave the tomb a cursory glance and made his way over to the dining room.
Planetbox wrote:
]"Of course I am!" Fritz replied with a delighted laugh. "Too bad you didn't catch the season finale. It's really been making waves in the entertainment community!"

"Glad to hear it, if I get chance, I try to watc-," it was unclear whether Heinrich genuinely believed Fritz or whether he was just being nice. However, there wasn't any time to think about that because Heinrich suddenly burst into a long and loud coughing fit. It seemed like whatever he had was very serious and painful. If he wanted to pay off all his medical bills, HE REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY RIGHT NOW.

Shy guy

"Easy there sir. That was quite a bad one," Verrier said after Heinrich's coughing fit, for once a serious expression on his face. "I'll see if I can't whip up something soothing in the kitchen, there should be plenty of ingredients there." He got up, leaving the soup unfinished, and hurried off.

After Verrier left, Albrecht suddenly addressed Edna, though it appeared he had nothing new to say. "So you're in charge around here now?" he asked, sneering at her. "Playing Head while Gideon's away? If managing all this is too much for you, there's no shame in passing the reins to someone better suited."

ASCEND

Southern Corn wrote:
"Oh, that's fantastic to hear, Fritz!" Edna gave a glowing smile to the man. "I'm sure Gideon would be so proud to see the show inspired by his work reach so many people..." Ouch. "I'm glad to see you're enjoying the dinner too! Juna always does marvelous work with this... If you loved the soup that much, then you should definitely have seconds, yes yes." Double ouch.

She dug into her dinner, seemingly enjoying it quite a lot. She seemed in an excellent mood all things considered.

“Mm-hmm...yes,” Fritz mumbled, staring into the bowl of soup as if it were a gateway to Hell.

Seeing that Albrecht had managed to change the subject, Fritz watched for Edna’s response with interest.

fella

Erik, meanwhile, seemed to enjoy his soup. If he didn't like the taste, it clearly didn't show on his face. Admittedly, the talk of the show's season finale made him cringe a bit -- he kept his opinion about it a secret, but in all honesty, he thought it was horrible. If the show was cancelled, the family would likely need, MORE THAN ANYTHING. A LOT OF MONEY. RIGHT NOW!

"Ah, I'm sure she's fine, Grandfather," he stated, brows raised a bit at his statement. "And your son Gideon isn't away. He... passed two years ago," he explained in a calm, gentle tone of voice. "Aunt Edna has been managing fine so far, though, and I'm sure she'll do fine for the years to come! She's truly come into her own."

He glanced over at Edna as he subtly supported her, giving her a small nod.

Rookie Killer

KamiPanda wrote:
"Easy there sir. That was quite a bad one," Verrier said after Heinrich's coughing fit, for once a serious expression on his face. "I'll see if I can't whip up something soothing in the kitchen, there should be plenty of ingredients there." He got up, leaving the soup unfinished, and hurried off.

After Verrier left, Albrecht suddenly addressed Edna, though it appeared he had nothing new to say. "So you're in charge around here now?" he asked, sneering at her. "Playing Head while Gideon's away? If managing all this is too much for you, there's no shame in passing the reins to someone better suited."

Heinrich coughing fit eventually ended but there was still the occasional cough in between his words, "I-i th-think I'm fine now but I appreciate the help Verrier," still recovering from his fit, Heinrich replied in a very coarse voice.

Happy Maria

Edna had originally planned to ignore Albrecht completely as she usually did, however noticing Fritz watching her, she shifted her seat uncomfortably realising she couldn't back down. "I am not... playing head, as you so put it, sir. I have been taking care of this valuable island for the past two years and I wouldn't give it up to anybody else."

What nobody knew was the fact that the island itself... wasn't "valuable", per se. It was an unsellable property with very limited natural resources. The interim headship left by Gideon was enough to pay for the property tax as well as the servants. Without the headship, she most likely wouldn't be able to manage the island at all, leaving her bankrupt. So while she didn't say anything about it, Edna MORE THAN ANYTHING. REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY blah blah you get the gist.

"Mm... this is truly delectable", Edna spoke of the dinner, deciding to change course very smoothly. "You've done it yet again, Juna, I will say. My warmest regards to you."

Sock

Agnes walked into the dining hall with a bit of pep in her step, but noticing that the family was already eating, she slowed down a little bit.

"Ah, right.... mhm..." Agnes mumbled, but then nodded to herself. "Okay. Aunt Ingrid!" She called out, walking around the table and inserting herself in the exposed space, where Mia would normally sit, and smiled.

"As thanks for your gift earlier, I left something in my- Um, well, your room! It's... nothing special, just some story I didn't manage to finish. It's the most complete one I have, though, so maybe you'll find some enjoyment in it..."

"And this is for you too! Tadaaa!" Agnes, from behind her back, holds out a card and a wrapped present. "Happy birthday! This is from father. He wanted me to give it to you." Agnes smiles wide, much more confident in whatever this present is compared to her own, obviously last minute one. She stays put, leaning over the chair, waiting for Ingrid to read out the card and open the present.

"The season finale went fabulously!" Cici smiled, before taking a sip of her soup. If she MORE THAN ANYTHING REALLY NEEDED A LOT OF MONEY RIGHT NOW!, she certainly didn't show it.

"Hmm... It's a little too salty..." She said, disapprovingly.

Kachu wrote:
"Ah, right.... mhm..." Agnes mumbled, but then nodded to herself. "Okay. Aunt Ingrid!" She called out, walking around the table and inserting herself in the exposed space, where Mia would normally sit, and smiled.

"As thanks for your gift earlier, I left something in my- Um, well, your room! It's... nothing special, just some story I didn't manage to finish. It's the most complete one I have, though, so maybe you'll find some enjoyment in it..."

"A story, huh?" Ingrid smiled. "I'd love to read it. You know, I helped your father finish some stories he was stuck on, maybe..."

Quote:
"And this is for you too! Tadaaa!" Agnes, from behind her back, holds out a card and a wrapped present. "Happy birthday! This is from father. He wanted me to give it to you." Agnes smiles wide, much more confident in whatever this present is compared to her own, obviously last minute one. She stays put, leaning over the chair, waiting for Ingrid to read out the card and open the present.

She was cut short by the second gift. "... From Gideon? Ah, thank you."

More than a little confused, Ingrid started reading the card and opening the gift. "Did he leave this to me two years ago...?"

Sock

"Hm? No, that'd be silly, wouldn't it? He didn't want you feeling left out today. Father gave it to me earlier."

Agnes then makes a bit of a surprised "oh!" face and turns to Edna and then Juna. "Sorry! That's why I was late. I was just outside for a moment, but then he surprised me... I haven't seen him in a while, but I wanted to make sure to give Aunt Ingrid her gift."

Dear Ingrid,

Happy birthday! I’m sorry you have to spend it at one of our stuffy reunions, and that I’m not there to distract you from it. I know you’d rather have everyone ignore your special day, but I couldn’t help but get you a gift regardless. Please don’t open it until the day of our birthday.

Thank you for looking out for Agnes while I’m not around--I’m sure she’ll love the book you gave her. Thank heavens it wasn’t lost with your luggage!

Love,
Gideon

The note is written in Gideon’s handwriting. Ingrid did not attempt to open the wrapped present (about the size of a small box but makes no sound when shaken)--whether this was because of the card's instructions or she was frozen in surprise was unclear.

[Scene Music]

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fella

Erik blinked. Blinked again. He stared at Agnes in disbelief, brow furrowed with confusion.

"... You mean you... saw him, Agnes?" he questioned. "Today? Despite the fact he's been declared dead for two years...?"

Sock

Collin1002 wrote:
Erik blinked. Blinked again. He stared at Agnes in disbelief, brow furrowed with confusion.

"... You mean you... saw him, Agnes?" he questioned. "Today? Despite the fact he's been declared dead for two years...?"

"Well, yes?" Agnes tilts her head slightly, confused at the question. "I don't think I understand..."

Happy Maria

"Oh my, how nice of him. Tell him I said hello, dear", Edna told to Agnes calmly. "I quite miss him nowadays, honestly. I could really use his support..."

She didn't seem fazed by this at all. What was going on here?
Page 5 of 21 [ 818 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus