Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 1[ 38 posts ]

Nonary Game 11 - Signup Thread (Closed)Topic%20Title

Sock

Spoiler: Teaser
The wistful city of London is one of the last few havens for humanity, as the world has become shrouded in a heavy, dense fog. As large cities seem to be safer, the people of London are met with other strange oddities and mysterious happenings, all beneath the surface....

Hello everyone and welcome to the 11th Nonary Game sign up thread!
If you're unfamiliar, these have been an ongoing series of games based around the Zero Escape series. Although knowledge of these games is absolutely not required, and none of the content in this game will spoil any of the twists in that trilogy, having knowledge of them might increase your appreciation of this game somewhat.

First off, let's go over something important.

This game will be ran off-site, on a separate forum, Cox Studio (or "Cox" for short.)

This is entirely due to the recent closure of Quicktopic (QT), a secondary forum integral to these series of games (and others like them) and no substitute existing. So one was made! Important, though, if a majority of players wish otherwise, the main game will be held here, on Court Records, instead. Regardless, Cox will be used as a QT substitute. Feel free to ask any questions about this in the thread.
In our little gaming community, this game happened to be a more transitional one, due to QT shutting down. Some things might be a little awkward because of this, so please bear with me,

With that out of the way, let's get into some juicy details.
Spoiler: Premise
Ten apparent strangers find themselves trapped in a strange facility, forced through strange trials to find the truth behind each of them, and the strange happenings in the city of London. Will they grasp the truth? Or will it forever be buried in the fog?

Spoiler: Important Info!
>Nonary Game 11 will have Ten characters in its cast, each played by one of you!
>This game is much like its predecessors, NG7 and NGX. I would recommend reading those if you're not aware of how they work. This means there's timelines!
>Ten unique challenges for each player to overcome. There will be something for everyone to do.
>Puzzles! There are some of them. Though this is hardly a focus of the experience. Do not expect rooms on the level of NGX.
>Spooky things! What could they be? I'll never tell.

As it's been mentioned, this game is heavily inspired (and therefore similar to) NGX and NG7. Which, again, means a lack of player agency and gameplay. There's even less puzzle solving here, though I've done my best to at least give a good experience when those rooms come around.

While there's a general lack of agency, player choices and desires will still heavily impact the game and how it flows. I hope that by now returning players have a general feel of how this ends up going already from the past games. I'll try to be as flexible as I can, and I actually encourage coming to me for ideas on stuff you want to happen with your assigned character.

Some other things to note:
1. Character names can be chosen by the players! Sometimes other names too. I've done my best naming everyone with something I think is nice, but I'd rather see people adopt these characters some more and take them as their own. It's exciting to think about, actually.
1.5. There's no codenames! Boo! As one of two fans, it's sad to see them go. But they have no place here. If you desperately want one let me know and I'll call you dumb or we'll work something out.
2. Content Warning. Nothing super specific here, but there are bad/evil characters who will do bad/evil things. Even the good characters will do bad/evil things. If there's something that's a big concern to you, I encourage you to let me know in the survey or through DMs, or anywhere comfortable.
3. As previously mentioned, NG11 takes place in London. That does not mean everyone is British. And that certainly does not mean you need to write your character with a cheesy British accent. It'd be grating if everyone talked like that, I think. This actually shouldn't mean much for you RPing, it's just something to keep in mind.
4. Some of the characters in the cast might have strange or difficult appearances to find a reference to. If you end up really struggling, we can probably work some things out together.
5. Some of the puzzles also require some image editing knowledge. Nothing should be too intense. Every computer should come with paint after all, though it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with whatever pre-installed editing software your computer comes with, or check something fancy out, like GIMP.
6. I spent basically this game's entire development seriously concerned about not reaching the required amount of players. However, it's seemingly become apparent that we might actually exceed this number. Of course, if this happens, it means not everyone who applies can end up playing. Stuff like that sucks, but I still encourage everyone to apply regardless. I'll also do my best to prioritize newcomers (or people who were not participating in NGX) but this might also end up being difficult, depending on every player's preference for their characters.

There's a little more to go over, I want to share something personal/important before the survey.
Spoiler: Important?
I know that I likely have a bit of a poor rep on here at times, when it comes to games and activity. And that reputation is not entirely undeserving. Although I believe I've gotten better in the recent games, there have been numerous times where I myself have been grossly inactive in these games we run on here. I also understand that this has negatively impacted the games in the past, and that such an attitude as a GM is not something players would want.

I'll also confess this is likely the biggest project I've ever done, and I'm nervous as hell.

If you're frightened or not interested in participating because of my history on here, then I do not blame you. I at least hope you can follow along and enjoy the game. I will also give this as a warning that the game might stall from time to time. I cannot see this happening often, but I want to be transparent here. I do not plan for this game to take a really long time, at least.

Basically, I just want to acknowledge that my track record might not be the best, but I am determined to deliver with this game, and I hope the players are also as determined as I am to make this the best it can be.

Alright, alright. Enough of that. The survey is coming soon, I promise.
Spoiler: NEO-MAMA
1. Don’t be inactive. This game is heavily focused on the characters. Please be mindful of that when signing up.
2. If you have to be inactive for some reason or another, let me know as far in advance as possible, and something can be worked out. Transparency is key!
3. Be respectful toward other players. Pretty standard.
4. Don’t engage in excessive, unprompted criticism of other characters or the narrative—particularly details that can no longer be changed. Know the difference between constructive and destructive criticism and know the time and place for it. We’re all here to have fun, and toxic attitudes are not conducive to fun.
5. Don’t use meta means of communicating private information such as screenshots, PMs, and smoke signals. Be sportsmanlike.
6. Don’t be spiteful if something bad happens to your character. Don’t try to ruin things for other people. Be mindful that this is a mystery game and while you may know the answer to some of the twists, sometimes it’s best to hold on to things.
7. There are other characters who will probably, at least at times, not like yours. Don't take things like this personally, it's all a part of the game.
8. At certain times, you may be tempted to have your character act in a way that seems like it would seriously mess up the cohesion of the game. If that happens, talk to me and we can work something out. I'll also know for sure if it'll mess anything up and I can figure out a new way of continuing.

Now, click here to send in your own, special, personalized survey! The questions in here are important information on my end, on top of helping decide what character suits you well. No randomness here, who you get will be based around your answers here.
Spoiler: FAQ
Q: When will the game begin?
A: Once sign ups have closed, the cast has been selected, and everyone is ready/comfortable with their characters. Also as soon as I write the first post.

Q: How long will the game last?
A: Likely around as long as NGX, maaaybe a little longer. I'll do my best to keep things going, we'll see.

Q: Why are there more than nine characters!? It's a NONARY game! And it's the ELEVENTH one! Why not add another, then? HUH??
A: It feels weird to have another nonary game with more than nine characters, but that's just how this game was built. Originally there was going to only be nine characters, but at some point in development I've convinced myself that a tenth could make things very interesting. As much as I toyed with the idea of having a DOG character, I cannot add an eleventh for them, as tempting as it is.

Any other questions will be added here.

Sign ups have closed! Substitutes can still let me know if they wish, but the cast has been finalized and posted. The game will begin soon! I hope my hubris doesn't ruin everything!

I also realize that the holiday season is upon us. If players would rather have the game begin after Christmas, then I don't take any issue with delaying things a little further. Just let me know!

This game has steadily been in development for a long time, ramping up more and more recently, with sparks and bursts of inspiration after NG6, NG7, and NGX. I'm really nervous, but also really excited to see how this all goes!

Regardless of how well this goes, I hope everyone can have a great time!

Last edited by Kachu on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: Nonary Game 11 - Signup ThreadTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

Very cool! Excited for another one of these, I can't believe it's been like a year since NGX now. Anyway yeah I would like to sign up please thanks.

Also I was genuinely hesitant about choosing between CR and Cox Studios but then this post got IP blocked so I guess I've found my answer for which one I'd prefer :kristoph:

gaming

Gettin' Old!

Consider me in!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

No other way than to make this mistake.

The boys meet again...

I'm signing up.

Shy guy

Signing up, yes I'm signing up, sign me up Mr Sign-up Man

1000% Knight

it's an odd-numbered NG, so you know what that means
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Sock

It’s come to my attention that the Junpei pictures in the survey are wrong. I’ll fix this as soon as I get on my computer. I’ll swap the pictures so the text stays the same. If this ends up affecting your survey let me know.

hi

Just finished my survey! Excited to be back again :)

ASCEND

Ugggh I have to be a British what the frick??? Whatever I'll sign up anyway
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

BEECH

Gaming.

Sock

Due to the large amount of signups upfront and early, I’m deciding to change the date when applications close.

Signups will end on Thursday, December 16th. The original post will be updated with this information.

The game likely won’t begin any sooner, though.

Sleeping is my life.

Yup, as you probably can tell, I'm late to the party so no wonder you guys are going to enjoy this game. Also, consider me signed up!

The American Dream

obligatory post

yo

why does everyone have cool avatars i'm intimidated

Sock

your lack of avatar is intimidating

I have highly anticipated this new ORIGINAL GAME from Kachu. This is a big undertaking, and it cannot be underestimated how epic it is!

True fans are lining up to play and those true fans are me!

I filled out the survey with lots of info! Also, I agree to the NEO-MAMA.

Best of luck to everyone that they get to play. I will look forward to spectating if I must. I think there are lots of epic gamers here who can bring the story to life! Spectating will surely be super cool!

London voice: "Blime!"

I WILL fight the fog

DootDootDoot wrote:

Equip an avatar or you suck

Datamatt wrote:
DootDootDoot wrote:

Equip an avatar or you suck

based

Kachu in the Teaser wrote:
beneath the surface

beneath the surface?

Looks like I know what the game is about

Doctor Nanjo wrote:
Kachu in the Teaser wrote:
beneath the surface

beneath the surface?

Looks like I know what the game is about

f6 had two brits
f6 had 10 victims
f6 had a dog i think probably

f6 + 5 (number of survivors) = 11

ng11 is a sequel

Shy guy

In NG11 we finally rescue V.A.L.

Sock

We don't need to save VAL

Kachu wrote:
5. Some of the puzzles also require some image editing knowledge. Nothing should be too intense. Every computer should come with paint after all, though it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with whatever pre-installed editing software your computer comes with, or check something fancy out, like GIMP.

Kachu is making us work for exposure do NOT give him your paint images if he did not pay for them :klavier:

Sock

NG11 is about NFTs

Learning that Kachu is an NFT gamer has been disappointing, to say the least, for the Kachu believers (such as myself).

Also just a few more hours...

Sock

Signups are now closed!

While if I had a gun held to my head and had to post the cast right this minute, I might manage, but I'm going to take some more time to go over things and think about the selection a little more.

I am also going to apologize in advance, since there will be some people unable to participate in this game. I am sorry about that.

Kachu wrote:
I am also going to apologize in advance, since there will be some people unable to participate in this game. I am sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1MTFmXwPKM
Re: Nonary Game 11 - Signup Thread (Closed) (Accepting Subs)Topic%20Title

Sock

Something interesting while the cast/cast list is finalized on my end.

Shy guy

People feel really strongly about Teddy, huh.

Only one Eric vote though! Amazing!

Mei stays winning

Sock

It's about time, isn't it?

I apologize for the waits and delays. Here's the final cast for NG11:
Spoiler: Cast List
01. WinterCoat
02. DootDootDoot
03. Joker
04. Southern Corn
05. Blinky
06. Datamatt
07. Bad Player
08. Planetbox
09. Doctor Nanjo
10. KamiPanda

Substitutes:
01. Pierre
02. JaytheBluPirate
03. NIKI_4829

I hope everyone here will get a character they can enjoy playing! However, if that's not the case, and you can tell you will not have a good time playing who you got, there are substitutes in the wings who might be able to take the mantle.

If you haven't made an account on CoxStudio, please do so and inform me what your username is so I can share your character's private thread with you. Either through DM, on here, or just in the Discord chat is fine. Otherwise, be gentle to your F5 key as I add those with existing Cox accounts to their role PM threads. I'll be going over each PM one last time before sharing, so please be a little patient with me.

I apologize to the three I had to reject from the game. Ultimately, it came down to who I thought would suit the characters the best. Though even then, in the end, I had such a hard time deciding that I ended up flipping a coin. There is not much else to it than that. It was a hard decision, and it was hard for me to turn away fantastic players for this. I hope you can at least still follow along with the game and enjoy spectating, or substituting if anything goes wrong.

The game will begin in a handful of days, once sprites and images have been found for each character, and everyone (myself included) feels ready.

Until then...
Re: Nonary Game 11 - Signup Thread (Closed)Topic%20Title

GG and better luck next time to my gaming fellows!

I’m really excited to play and thankful I made it in!! Thanks Kachu and thanks everyone.

I hope the spectators are able to enjoy the game!

Excited for WC’s debut in the NG, and glad to have Blinky and Bad Player back!

ASCEND

Yeah same hate that we have to lose some people. But I’m really looking forward to this. Seems like everybody else’s characters are lame and dumb compared to mine.

Anyway I guess it’s time to have C-R’s funeral. I brought the raft, in someone can light this puppy ablaze we can give it the heartfelt goodbye it deserves
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Sock

Crying that this sign up thread isn't as good as NGX's

Kachu wrote:
Crying that this sign up thread isn't as good as NGX's

I just downvoted your comment.

FAQ
What does this mean?
The amount of karma (points) on your comment and Reddit account has decreased by one.

Why did you do this?
There are several reasons I may deem a comment to be unworthy of positive or neutral karma. These include, but are not limited to:

Rudeness towards other Redditors,

Spreading incorrect information,

Sarcasm not correctly flagged with a /s.

Am I banned from the Reddit?
No - not yet. But you should refrain from making comments like this in the future. Otherwise I will be forced to issue an additional downvote, which may put your commenting and posting privileges in jeopardy.

I don't believe my comment deserved a downvote. Can you un-downvote it?
Sure, mistakes happen. But only in exceedingly rare circumstances will I undo a downvote. If you would like to issue an appeal, shoot me a private message explaining what I got wrong. I tend to respond to Reddit PMs within several minutes. Do note, however, that over 99.9% of downvote appeals are rejected, and yours is likely no exception.

How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Accept the downvote and move on. But learn from this mistake: your behavior will not be tolerated on Reddit.com. I will continue to issue downvotes until you improve your conduct. Remember: Reddit is privilege, not a right.

Happy Maria

Awesome! Really excited to have made it in, even more excited for my messages to stop getting blocked very soon! Looking forward to more gaming in the near future!
Page 1 of 1 [ 38 posts ] 

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus