Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)

Page 2 of 5[ 175 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Was Godot a good prosecutor?Topic%20Title

It's all Wright to be wrong sometimes!

...Oh, and I hate Chuck Norris too.

Back on topic: One point that I hate: Pressing a witness' testimony, Godot creates an animal analogy. Phoenix points out a flaw in it, as he is wont to do. Godot tells him, "Your animal analogies have become tiresome!" Seriously, is he trying to be funny, or is he just that childish?!
Amazing sig and avatar credits go to TheBaronAndEma! Perfect as always!

Mr. Step-ladder

Or was he trying to bluff? It's all about the bluffs.
Always strive to improve, not compare to others! - Arkillian
Purple Angel wins infinity cookies for this signiture! Who may come back soon!

You know, I thought this topic was about whether Godot was a good prosecutor. All I'm really hearing from his supporters is "well, he was a good character" or "well, he might not be very skilled, but he's passionate about what he's doing!" which pretty much translates to "he sucks but he gets an A for effort!"

Also, intimidating? I forgot Godot was even there half the time; as was said, Godot doesn't even bother arguing his cases, he just sits back while Phoenix argues his and demands proof when Nick's done. Cool and collected? He throws fits and coffee mugs when things don't go his way. :yuusaku:

Waiting on Godot...

He wasn't bad. I think he would've made a better defense lawyer. He took things too personally. I think had he become a prosecutor when he was younger he'd be fine. He was all about the attack with Phoenix. I don't think he actually cared much about his verdict. Does that make a bad lawyer? I donno. Maybe. He DEFINITELY wasn't Winston Payne leveled bad. Godot did alot of deduction himself. I think he understood the cases MORE than enough to be a little cocky about the court case.

As I said before though- his character isn't about being a prosecutor. Being a prosecutor was a method for him. Given things going right for him, maybe he'd be different.

It's like asking if a wild stallion could be tamed to be a riding horse. Well... yes it can, but there will always be that aspect about them that isn't 100% compliant. You you seem to have a strong dislike for Godot as a character and a lawyer, so I'm fighting a losing battle trying to convince you of this *shrugs* It's fine. Not all characters appeal to everyone
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Step-ladder

So, for short. Godot is a rookie and a bad loser in court. After all, he'd been in a coma and just 'quit his job and threw on a new name'. All he was after was Nick's ass (not in a homosexual manner). Also, I'm pretty sure he only understood cases because of his DA days.

Weeee~

Wow, I never seen people say that they don't like Godot :udgy:

Anyways, I think he's good prosecutor, indeed. He may not have any wins - just looses - in his record, however, except the von Karmas, he doesn't care for his winning record. He just want to revenge Phoenix for killing Mia, that, besides, I thought it was really nonsense, because, like, how Phoenix'd know that Mia was about to beeing killed?!
Well, well, in anyways, I think he's a good prosecutor - but there's the desvantage that he has. He can't see the color red. Gosh, that's awful :payne:
Thanks Vickinator for the amazing sig!

Last edited by Claire on Wed May 20, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just try to stick to the fact -true hero

i like godot....many had said about godot from his passionate till unskilled as a prosecutor...he's unskilled?yes..He is a defense attorney afterall...and i'm sure he's got what called 'defense's felling'..and he exactly can feel phoenix felling ..cornered, proud, anxious, angry, afraid, dissapointment and glad off course...but he's more experienced than phoenix..and like what they said, cool and collected..that's why..why he seems to ignore everything about the truth..because he trusts phoenix...afterall he leads phoenix to get the right verdic, whatever his ways...outside, he stated his hatred in phoenix..but inside, i think he knew why mia always believe in phoenix..that's why he came..to test phoenix..whether he is capable to bear his great reputation............and...my thought: Godot was the only prosecutor who had a strong personality..he is a real gentleman, not a gay or else :godot:
ema : what?
me : Did i ever look at u?i wanna see the balloon and u just blocking my view..
ema : I.......I............i will trow u snackoos if i'm holding it right now...

MARXISM: MAKING PROPERTY HISTORY

Location: Buckingham. No, not the Palace, the town. It's miles from London.

Okay, i'll try not to get angry like last time. Godot had never prosecuted before T&T, and he only became a prosecutor to meet Phoenix. With more practice, and a purpose to his career, he could probably have become a great prosecutor, but maybe he wasn't as good as Edgey or Franny. That said, Godot is by far my favourite character in the series, and he has the best character theme tune in the series, AND I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO DISAGREES!

Oh sorry. I did it again! :bellboy:
Put this on the end of your Sig everyone:

BRING BACK LIND_L_TAILOR AND BLACKJACK
Make a tribute to them here and help get them back here.

Mr. Step-ladder

...We already agree. Godot used prosecution as a method to meet this man... Phoenix Wright. As explained by chief.

:)

:godot: <- I like him.
I don't think he's the best prosecutor in the world, but he's a fine character. I like how he seems always relaxed and keeping it sooth. I love his theme tune and some of his one liners are cool. He does appear as "full of himself" and inside he's vengeful, but that's sort of what I find interesting about him.

Waiting on Godot...

Godot's theme tune live is like... BEST EVAH. I have it as my incoming text messages tune. It's so F@#$ing SEXY :gant:
ImageImageImageImage

hee...hee...hee...

Arkillian wrote:
Godot's theme tune live is like... BEST EVAH. I have it as my incoming text messages tune. It's so F@#$ing SEXY :gant:

It is INCREDIBLY sexy. SHOCKINGLY.
Absiposilutivily wonderful avatar by me, art not.

It makes me think of a cafe. Whatever floats your tea set, I suppose...

GANTALITY!

Arkillian wrote:

Going off topic here just to say, I love the tune too. I have it on my phone too, it makes me want to be called.. which is odd for a recluse.
"So apparently P/I fan + Insecurity + airheadedness + strange kinks + bad grasp of reality + over eagerness = bad user........." D= /D\

The Missing Link

SerialVER wrote:
Arkillian wrote:

Going off topic here just to say, I love the tune too. I have it on my phone too, it makes me want to be called.. which is odd for a recluse.

Hehe, I actually gotten to the point to where I whistle that tune because I love it so much.

Anyways, I don't get why people say Godot isn't calm and cool considering when he throws his coffee cup. I never found he really did it because he was angry, but I always found it as a way to shut up Phoenix and thoroughly stop him in his tracks. Anyways, how people find Franziska better when she's literally whipping somebody every five seconds because she has no anger management apparently is beyond me...

Waiting on Godot...

Apeman1813 wrote:
SerialVER wrote:
Arkillian wrote:

Hehe, I actually gotten to the point to where I whistle that tune because I love it so much.

Anyways, I don't get why people say Godot isn't calm and cool considering when he throws his coffee cup. I never found he really did it because he was angry, but I always found it as a way to shut up Phoenix and thoroughly stop him in his tracks. Anyways, how people find Franziska better when she's literally whipping somebody every five seconds because she has no anger management apparently is beyond me...

With Franny, I see it as a bondage thing- not in a X rated way, but the same way Wonder woman has the lasso of truth. It's insinuated, and it's a subconscious dominance. She uses her whip to OVERPOWER her opponents into submission (Although she over uses it with poor Gumshoe a bit XD ). I think it's to keep up with her father. He was so powerful. If you take away Fran's whip, I think she'd lose confidence in court eventually.

Spoiler: PW3 spoiler on Fran
Specially when you see the end of PW2 where she breaks down into tears. It shows that she isn't as strong as she appears

ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Step-ladder

Arkillian wrote:
With Franny, I see it as a bondage thing- not in a X rated way, but the same way Wonder woman has the lasso of truth.

Can you be absolutely sure about that? :adrian:

Waiting on Godot...

Ardee wrote:
Arkillian wrote:
With Franny, I see it as a bondage thing- not in a X rated way, but the same way Wonder woman has the lasso of truth.

Can you be absolutely sure about that? :adrian:

If the fandom wants bondage, then that's their prerogative. Just don't complain when us P x E shippers have them running off to the men's toilets in recess for a quickie ;) This is just my humble opinion as a writer. Franny has ego issues to me just like Adrian does. That pairing makes sense to me for that reason. They feed off eachothers stronger side.
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Step-ladder

I've really got to use this more: [/sarcasm].

OBJECTION! BOTH ATTORNEYS ARE AWESOME!

Apeman1813 wrote:
SerialVER wrote:
Arkillian wrote:

Franziska has a lot of her father in her [To the point where she even has his body language down]. At least once in every case she's in, she's either accused of witness intimidation, forging evidence, or both. As well, she really drives points into the ground and can easily explain a scene whereas Godot's entire case hinges on whether or not Phoenix's arguments hold up. Anger issues or not, she's so much better as a prosecutor to the point where it's quite possible that Phoenix could have lost 3-2 or 3-3 had Franziska been prosecuting.

[I've just developed a recent obsession with :franny: and felt the need to defend her]

GANTALITY!

BBdoubleB wrote:
Franziska has a lot of her father in her [To the point where she even has his body language down]. At least once in every case she's in, she's either accused of witness intimidation, forging evidence, or both. As well, she really drives points into the ground and can easily explain a scene whereas Godot's entire case hinges on whether or not Phoenix's arguments hold up. Anger issues or not, she's so much better as a prosecutor to the point where it's quite possible that Phoenix could have lost 3-2 or 3-3 had Franziska been prosecuting.

[I've just developed a recent obsession with :franny: and felt the need to defend her]

Co-dependent = Franny
"So apparently P/I fan + Insecurity + airheadedness + strange kinks + bad grasp of reality + over eagerness = bad user........." D= /D\

'Kay? That doesn't refute any of my points on how Franziska makes Godot look like Payne.

Never mind that there's no evidence to support it. Yes, Franziska is a softie on the inside, as JFA says, but when she was prosecuting cases by herself [Unless you want to argue Gumshoe as support] she sure as hell didn't seem co-dependent to me.

I like cute things

Back to Godot --> Well, I think that he's a pretty good prosecutor, considering that he's pretty much a rookie at prosecuting (defending and prosecuting are two very different things) and hadn't been in court for the entire time he was in the coma :yuusaku:

He's cool and collected, as it's said before, and he makes you think and work really hard to get your verdict because you have to prove all your theories. He's got a dark past and may not be out there for the sake of justice, but that just makes him that more mysterious and a more formidable opponent.

And his theme is really catchy :godot:

IMHO, as a prosecutor, he was good. As a character, he was awesome.
Pocky is love!

:cookie: :kyouya: x :sassy:
:cookie: :maya: x :phoenix:
:cookie: :mia: x :godot:

:cookie: =D

Apeman1813 wrote:
SerialVER wrote:
Arkillian wrote:

It seems to me that chucking a mug of hot coffee is only a short step down from whipping somebody.
(How do they get away with that, anyway...?)
Stopping him in his tracks, yes. But really, pelting somebody with your caffeine fix is NOT GOOD.
EDIT: Whipping also stops people in their tracks..and the comic relief is really nice.

Last edited by JasmineJustice on Sun May 24, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honestly, I've never really see someone argue Godot as not calm. People who hate him usually have much different reasons.

Even I see him as calm, and...I've made my voice in this topic clear by now, I'll spare the rant.

I liked Godot's character. I can't quite describe why...mostly because I just woke up hahahaha :sillytrucy: Of course he's not going to be that great of a prosecutor because he was a friggin' defense attorney and he was just winging it because he had no experience. Sure, his reasons for becoming a prosecutor were a bit on the immature side, but then again, which prosecutor doesn't have one?? Well, maybe not Klavier or Winston Payne....

...But anyway, everyone does have their own opinion, and there's no way you can convince them otherwise *sigh* :sad-maya:

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Psych'd wrote:
Back to Godot --> Well, I think that he's a pretty good prosecutor, considering that he's pretty much a rookie at prosecuting (defending and prosecuting are two very different things) and hadn't been in court for the entire time he was in the coma :yuusaku:

But as a prosecutor he was wrong about every case he took! You couldn't be worse than that.

Psych'd wrote:
He's cool and collected, as it's said before, and he makes you think and work really hard to get your verdict because you have to prove all your theories.

Phoenix always has to prove his theories--that's what every prosecutor he faces does. It's not like Edgeworth and Franziska didn't also say "prove it" over and over.

We can speculate on what kind of lawyer Diego was before his "accident" but the truth is we never see him win a case, ever. He was sloppy as a prosecutor (due to his revenge obsession) and the only way we know he was any good as a defense attorney is because Mia says that he was the top in Grossberg's firm. Considering the firm includes Hammond (who inadvertantly ruined his client's life) and Grossberg himself (who sold Misty for a pile of money) that doesn't say tooooo much.

In short, the only reason we assume Diego was good in either of his professions is because someone else said he was, and not even people in a position to judge his skill. The game wants us to think that he was fantastic but we never see it.
ImageImage

The rule with Godot is that he's an asshole before he's a prosecutor; every opportunity that arises for him to be a dick takes priority over him actually being good at whatever he's doing. Namely, revenge and by association being an asshole, was far more important to Godot than actually succeeding. I mean think about it, he called Phoenix out on eeeeeverything. Not just things pertaining to the case either; Godot personally insulted Phoenix pretty much every time he opened his mouth. So in short, no, Godot is not a good prosecutor. He is, however, one hell of a douchebag.

I must also point out that this rule does not apply to Diego Armando.

Croik wrote:
We can speculate on what kind of lawyer Diego was before his "accident" but the truth is we never see him win a case, ever. He was sloppy as a prosecutor (due to his revenge obsession) and the only way we know he was any good as a defense attorney is because Mia says that he was the top in Grossberg's firm. Considering the firm includes Hammond (who inadvertantly ruined his client's life) and Grossberg himself (who sold Misty for a pile of money) that doesn't say tooooo much.

In short, the only reason we assume Diego was good in either of his professions is because someone else said he was, and not even people in a position to judge his skill. The game wants us to think that he was fantastic but we never see it.

I always just took Mia's word for it. He appeared to be someone she respected and even looked up to. The game does a pretty good job of reinforcing every other judgment Mia's ever made, so I don't really see any reason to doubt her judgment of Diego. Though it has been awhile since I've replayed anything other than the first game, so I may be mistaken about Mia always being right.

The Law

I personally like Godot, but when it comes to whether he's a good prosecutor or not... It doesn't matter the only reason he became a prosecutor is to face Phoenix. And as for the "Godot is sexist thing" I vaguely remember Godot saying something to Franziska in 3-5 about He's the prosecutor of this case not her and now I remember him saying that he hates women like her. Then Franziska whips Phoenix which is weird because she could've whipped Godot.

Waiting on Godot...

jahzara777 wrote:
Then Franziska whips Phoenix which is weird because she could've whipped Godot.

I think she was intimidated by him. Gets a desirable reaction off Phoenix though ^^ Again, the dominance thing... she knows she tops Phoenix, but Godot... he's too powerful for her
ImageImageImageImage

amirite

I think it's a bit harsh to condemn Godot the way everyone does. People are right about one thing though, he's all too human.

He's doesn't really do a good job on prosecuting, but I seriously doubt he's even trying. My explanation has spoilers from all chapters lol

Spoiler:
At the point which Phoenix met him he had just woken up from a slumber to find out that almost everything he had put his passion in has died:

The court system (justice), his lover (love), moral value and human potential (society, aka remember that he was a defense attorney before), and probably most painful of all: Himself.

So what does he really believe in anymore? Easy at this point to know that he's grasping at straws to find some sort of confidence in something, because he's just an empty shell after what he went through. Anyone that's gone through a similar scenario of being powerless to change something and still having that lingering belief within oneself that maybe there was a better ending, some way to protect your loved ones from the cruelties of outside. Hell I'm playing this game again right now because I just can't get enough of the subtleties within the things he says... Half the time he speaks in analogies or metaphors it reveals his own weakness, why he fell.

That's why I love PW, the underlying theme that binds all things together seem to be death and rebirth. You might say that Mia experienced the same thing with Terry doing himself in. In this way I find it touching how the two have a similar kind of fate and destiny. Mia had Phoenix as his saving grace: I got shivers down my spine when he swallowed the necklace of poison. Two very similar cases but different endings... Both having fallen opportunity and saving grace. Both of which pain has strengthened the bearer.

It's like that AMI pot that Pearl broke. The first step of something, as complete as it may be, may not be as beautiful regardless of happiness (because happiness is subjective). The second step may involve you being incomplete, uglier than the first. But in the end with seeking and chasing, you will always find that "you need a ton of pressure to make a diamond" (omg godot quote)

Probably Godot knew about all this and therefore that's why he was pissing off Phoenix so much. He wanted to get his saving grace from proving that Nick was an incompetent idiot who was probably the cause of Mia's death. The easy way out to an issue is to pin it on someone else. This is why I said he was grasping at straws, with a sound mind he would probably know that this would be a dick move, but humans never act the same when their life crumbles before them huh?

When he tested Nick, he was probably upset because it only showed him that he had nothing else to blame but himself. This is the only riddle he wanted to chase down to the end: To find out who was at fault, to find his saving grace. I don't think he gave two bits about how successful he'd be with his prosecuting career, thus he never made any tricks or mind games.

That's exactly why I find him to be one of the most well thought out characters in the entire series of ace attorney. Out of all the characters, he's the one who would be able to say "I just don't give a ****" and mean it to the fullest. It's cool how in the end he found out his saving grace in sharing the sorrows and prevailing with Wright... I always thought that he saw how much stronger Nick chose to be after the death of Mia, and therefore he understood that he's not the only one regretting, but he was now the only one sulking. Cause of this and seeing the ultimate judgement on a long lost enemy, his faith in himself, the court and everything else is redeemed in the end. He got a new motivation.

Yeah I don't really like the other prosecutors, seemed all too "gamey" to me. Godot was something out of a drama, he's someone that's experienced a total breakdown of life. It must have taken a lot of consideration to decide what he says and when he says it. Edgeworth's story somehow didn't appeal to me either... It was touching, but something about it wasn't as painful and regretful as the Godot story: Having something taken outta your hands because you weren't careful enough. The poison was in the COFFEE, man he must have killed himself over it (no pun intended).

:godot: It's not about his abilities, its his story that makes him so great. With a sound mind he'd probably be a totally different lawyer/prosecutor.

Yea yea its tl:dr :yogi:

You make a very good argument, sir.

Shoulda been Brawldude, but was taken

... :omg:

I couldn't type like that unless I was commited to it... :jake:
Click the sig to see my graphics topic!

My sig -is- original. Lots of people just make sigs similar to this one a lot.

Waiting on Godot...

I love him too- there are enough that don't though. I deal with it as long as they're not ass holes to me for loving his character. I have my opinion on him, and I'm not pressing it. If they want to preach anti Godot, they can do it in another thread. This isn't an anti Godot thread- it's asking if he was a good prosecutor or not. Flames seem to be emanate in a thread like this though...
ImageImageImageImage

amirite

Ah I seem to have found a tl:dr version of my wall of text, in the game!

:godot: "When does someone throw their dirty shorts in the washing machine?"
:trapcardcoffee: "When they take them off"

my exact order of reaction after thinking about what this means:
:think: :apollo-shock: :gant-clap2: :gant-jazz:

Didn't catch all of this during my first playthrough, as I was too into the case itself and just about everything else. Putting some thought behind it, there's a lot about Godot that can relate to yourself. I want to play through all the other games as well and see if there's any deeper meaning behind the other stories... but it was never really too memorable to me, anyone?

Wriiight D<

HowObjectionable wrote:
Hylian100 wrote:
Therefore, if we're beign realistic, he isn't a good prosecutor, but he's an awesome one.

This. :godot:

Also this :P
;3

Chief Oldbagger

Well, a good reason why he isn't good is this.
"Hey Luke, you say he hit you on the forehead, but yesterday I heard you say he hit you in the back of the head, and what I'm telling the court is true because I say it is."
I mean really, he doesn't even say "But you're lying!" he just says nothing. >_>
Credits to Nadindi for both the avvie and sig!

Two week break!

I had totally forgotten that he had missed that. Surely he would have pointed it out, even just as an excuse to insult Wright more.

PsychoDahlia?!

In my opinion, Godot was a semi-woeful prosecutor. I thought Payne was on about the same level as him in 3-1.

Arkillian wrote:
I love him too- there are enough that don't though. I deal with it as long as they're not ass holes to me for loving his character. I have my opinion on him, and I'm not pressing it. If they want to preach anti Godot, they can do it in another thread. This isn't an anti Godot thread- it's asking if he was a good prosecutor or not. Flames seem to be emanate in a thread like this though...

'Enough that don't? It seems that there are only about four who truly hate him... others don't like his prosecuting but like his character, etc. Well, that settles it, I'll make an anti-Godot thread, then. I think we are in desperate need of something like that.
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

No one has said that Godot is so horrible that anyone who likes him is a bad person or anything - it's just that with Godot his personality is linked very directly to his skill as a prosecutor (since he took up the profession for very specific personal reasons), so it's hard not to comment on his ability without his character coming into play. No one is "preaching" anti-Godot, they're just saying whether or not they like him and why.

The last thing we need is anti-threads, though.
ImageImage
Page 2 of 5 [ 175 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)