Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Maruhoudou vs. Mr. TriteTopic%20Title

Meow

Which nickname do you think was better? If you didn't like Trite, what would you have used?

Personally, I would have left it at Maruhoudou. Why? Only for this reason:

:godot: Okay, let's see this, Maruhoudou!
:nick-sweat: (Why does he keep calling me that?)
Uh... meow? Signature coming soon.
Re: Maruhoudou vs. Mr. TriteTopic%20Title

Master of sharp things!

They're pretty much the same thing, though "trite" is a somewhat better fit since it actually convey's Godot's distaste for Phoenix both in meaning and usage.

The Unknown Suavo

American version:
:godot: You're going to have to do better than that, Mr. Trite! And by the way, by referring to you as Mr. Trite, I not only convey my contempt for what I perceive to be utter lack of skill and independence on your part, I also pull off a clever rhyme!

Japanese version:
:godot: You're going to have to do better than that, Maruhodou! And by the way, by referring to you as Maruhodou, I not only convey my uncharacteristic apathy as far as insulting you as evidenced by the clear lack of creativity or humor in such an endeavor, I also demonstrate my total immaturity!

Objection!

Meh, if it was GS4 he could have called him Naruhobo, it's pretty accurate.
Iris X Phoenix shipper!

syckls wrote:
American version:
:godot: You're going to have to do better than that, Mr. Trite! And by the way, by referring to you as Mr. Trite, I not only convey my contempt for what I perceive to be utter lack of skill and independence on your part, I also pull off a clever rhyme!

Japanese version:
:godot: You're going to have to do better than that, Maruhodou! And by the way, by referring to you as Maruhodou, I not only convey my uncharacteristic apathy as far as insulting you as evidenced by the clear lack of creativity or humor in such an endeavor, I also demonstrate my total immaturity!

Agree completely. I especially love the way you worded that post.

Proud Supporter of FeenRis

Trite, it's an actual word

Do your best, Nick. Hee... hee... hee...

What's the pun in Maruhodo?

Colour monkey supreme

there was none, it was just pronounced incorrectly to annoy/show disrespect to naruhodo.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I still like Maruhodo a little better just because it was such a subtle, "I can't be bothered to pronounce your name correctly" insult, as opposed to, "I am deliberately going out of my way to insult you every time." They're both equally childish, at least.
ImageImage

Evil on Legs (or so they say)

syckls wrote:
American version:

Japanese version:

:godot: My immaturity, let me show it to you.

Maruhoudou. I think they could have at least done Mwright or something... :nick:

?!

Mwright? What?

That's an awful name.
Holy Hell wrote:
Raven Darkheart wrote:
it is when you look underneath the underneath
It's not a hole in the wall. It is a wall surrounding a hole.

Seein how Wright rhymes with a real and demeaning such as trite, I don't have a problem with it and thought it is fitting. I mean Mwright isn't logical and doesn't seem to work.

I mean usin anything besides Trife and any other rhyming words doesn't seem fittin

They cannot use Maruhoudou since ppl who are not familar with the japanese name will go "huh"?

For those who wants to go with how the concept of the character not learnin Wright's name correctly, he could just call him stuff like "Ripe," "Sight", "Light" "Night", etc... I can see it interchange

I'll consider the new sig a compliment

I'd pick Trite. I found it funnier, and it sort've slurs off the tounge.

The foxy ladies can't resist my sandwich

Doom Saber wrote:
For those who wants to go with how the concept of the character not learnin Wright's name correctly, he could just call him stuff like "Ripe," "Sight", "Light" "Night", etc... I can see it interchange

You see, Trite is insulting. Those aren't.
fuck

Diamond Dust

I think Trite is better, cause it actually means something. I don't see what's so insulting about changing the first letter of his name. It just sounds like he's picking on him. And Trite makes me laugh for some reason :P
I am matter. I am antimatter. I can see your past. I can see your future. I consume time. And I will consume you.

.: Of Fake Fairytales and Faux Amour :.

How about Phoenix Wry? That's what Mia calls Phoenix in 3-1 in case you forgot...

DarzieP wrote:
Doom Saber wrote:

You see, Trite is insulting. Those aren't.

I know, but as I said in my eariler post, I PREFER Trite, but for those who are looking for a word that doesn't have a real meaning and shows that Godot doesn't want to remember his name, Capcom could have tried the rhyming gimmick much like the way other american television shows in showing how one character doesn't want to learn another character's name. Even if the names themselves do not have any insulting meanings embedded to them, constantly calling a person a wrong name that rhymes after being corrected is insulting. For example, if I knew a guy named Ted and called him Jed, Ned, Fred, Red, Zed, etc.... even after being corrected by Ted, it shows that I do not care about his name, which is a sign of disrespect; if what is said is true and that Maruhodou has no actual negative definition to it, I don't see what is the difference of calling Wright anything other than Wright like "Might", "Sight", or "Ripe"; I mean, it is the same as Godot calling Naruhodou as "Maruhodou" to show his distain. As said eariler, american tv shows do it all the time to display how little interest one has for the other.

Last edited by Doom Saber on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

胃儀あり?

well. in japanese. batsu means X and maru means O, or wrong and right.
so i guess Godot is taking the pun Naruhodo (i see/i understand) to the EXTREEEEEEEEEEM.

...right
?!~

*rat-ta-ta-ta* Sorry Mr Nick...

As far as i remember, "Maru" in Japanese means "circle". Maruhodou means "O步堂". (Like when you dun wanna call the person's name, you just put an X instead of his name)

since Godot wanted to be impolite to phoenix, he used a "circle".

(I have tried my best to explained this in English :gymshoe: )

I'm in your skies; raeping your balloons

Quote:
As far as i remember, "Maru" in Japanese means "circle". Maruhodou means "O步堂". (Like when you dun wanna call the person's name, you just put an X instead of his name)

since Godot wanted to be impolite to phoenix, he used a "circle".

(I have tried my best to explained this in English :gymshoe: )

Is it wrong to assume it's like calling some guy John Doe over and over again, or John Smith, something that's generic and just a placeholder?

Anyway, I thought Trite was a pretty good trick, but I would have liked some variety.

Maybe some silly rhymes, heh. Like "You have bite, Trite." or something like that. After a while, it got kinda lame and I wondered why Wright didn't just explode and say something.

I think they both do their job well, really. But Trite might be better, since it basically means that something has been repeated too much. I think that by calling Phoenix "Mr. Trite", Godot is showing his criticism towards Phoenix's court tactics, considering that he often has to present the same evidence multiple times, since the judge is too hard-headed to understand it's importance the first time. Though Phoenix's tactics have always been proven to work well, yes, I believe Godot's disdain towards Phoenix is meant to be somewhat immature and baseless (as it is said in one of the essays, Godot goes through a sort of denial; this would mean that he is wrong and he has no true way of showing that Phoenix has really done anything bad). Basically, Godot is criticizing a positive trait because he has no true way of insulting Phoenix.

Maru, said to mean circle, would mean about the same thing; Phoenix goes in circles of monotony to prove his points. But I think that Trite is more obvious and straight-to-the-point, so I go with that. I like Trite more. :think:

I love Godot, but because of his mental status, he obviously is very immature in some areas, such as the area in which he holds bitterness towards the innocent Phoenix.

the Lone

Other names I think could have been appropriate alternatives to 'Trite':

Writhe – Because he makes Phoenix writhe in anguish.
Fright – Because he constantly tries to intimidate Phoenix, with mixed success.
Kite – Belittling his Phoenix characteristic to a mere child's toy, or a bird inferior to a phoenix.
Fight – Literally his first words to Phoenix are about going to battle with him.

Less subtle changes, but nonetheless aptly effective:
Blight – To say that Phoenix ruins everything he participates in.
Plight – To emphasize that Phoenix is in a dangerous situation having to face Godot.
Flight – Punning on how a Phoenix is a fiery bird.

Similarly, I think calling him 'Felix' would have accomplished the same distracting annoyance he was trying to cause for Phoenix.

And yes, I realize I am replying to a post 13 years after it got put up here. It's not my fault I only recently got into this.
But, as the great Godot himself says,
Quote:
:godot: Every prosecutor starts off undefeated. Every mighty redwood begins its life as a mere sapling.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)