Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Interview w/ Eshiro+Yamazaki: loc. challenges, still no DGSTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Gamespot recently sat down with Eshiro and Yamazaki to chat about Spirit of Justice and localizing the series. While you can get the whole interview at the link, a few highlights:

Quote:
The localizations of the Phoenix Wright games take place in a vague "Japanamerica," and many cases are steeped in Japanese culture. Some of these themes may not translate well for some players. What are the challenges of localizing this series?

Eshiro: First of all, the game is made in Japan, so we make it in Japanese and the staff doesn't think about the localization at all. Once you start thinking about it, then you have to consider so many things, and you start locking yourself into a little space, right? To keep it so that they can make as creative of a product as possible, as creative of a story as possible, we don't think about the localization, we just make it as interesting as we can. When localization happens, I will sit down with [the team] and say, okay, this part should probably be localized because I'm not sure a lot of people outside of Japan would understand it. And he might say, "Well, let's keep it because it's important to the story or this character." Through this back and forth we decide the bigger picture of what to keep and what not to keep Japanese in that sense.

I based some of my decisions on the times. For example, nowadays people [in the West] know what ramen is but 10 years ago people didn't know what ramen was in the same way. I do go through and adjust, fine-tune what needs localizing and what doesn't based on what people know at that time.

Quote:
Will we ever get a localized version of Daigyakuten Saiban?

Eshiro: Unfortunately there's a number of circumstances... We absolutely do want to bring it to the West, but unfortunately due to these circumstances right now... I'm really really sorry! Nowadays on the Internet lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?" On livestreams, even in the Japanese ones, people from the West will write in and ask where it is. Every time we say, we're sorry! Certain circumstances are kind of getting in the way.

It's good to hear they're aware of the demand for DGS, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like anything's in the works.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Interview w/ Eshiro+Yamazaki: loc. challenges, still no Topic%20Title

¡Protesto!

Well, I think that we should wait until october (after AA6 release) to keep pressing...

Well, that's fine. The fan-translation is coming soon anyway.
Still not purchasing SoJ thanks to this stunt, though + being digital only again.

A New Chapter of Trials!

"Certain circumstances" eh? Hopefully those circumstances aren't going to turn into an AAI2 situation and we actually do get it eventually. One can only hope.
Eureka!

Prosecutor

There's a number of circumstances which prevent me to buy your game.
I'm really, really, really sorry!
(quote)

Clarion of Revelations

I know it feels bad to not get this game localized but that doesn't have to do with Spirit of Justice, so while we may not get DGS, we did get SoJ, so let's enjoy it when it comes and after that keep pressing.
Remember: Low sales = No more localization

Gardevoir lover

I don't know if i should be glad that we have an explanation or be pissed that said explanation basically boils down to "Were lazy"

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Servant of the Goddess of Law

I remember reading the circumstance being they can only localize one Ace Attorney game at a time, I am going to hold onto that little bit of hope and maybe we will hear some good news in October or November, I mean the game could come out in 2017 and still sell well in the west, at this point I wouldn't care if it was digital only as well. I just want to play it.
Re: Interview w/ Eshiro+Yamazaki: loc. challenges, still noTopic%20Title

"Certain circumstances"

I wonder what he means. Sure, now they are busy with SoJ localization, so it could be that. Or maybe not.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

Last edited by Slammer on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
I don't know if i should be glad that we have an explanation or be pissed that said explanation basically boils down to "Were lazy"

This is a pretty gross misrepresentation of the response and of the localization industry in general. I'm guessing there honestly are some pretty bleak sales numbers holding them back from going for DGS, but that's not something that a representative of a large company has the right to just drop in an interview.

Capcom may be strapped for cash or man-hours, but suggesting the localization team is somehow "lazy" is a pretty bad oversimplification.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Breakdown

Hmm, I never knew Eshiro had anything to do with DGS. Was he tied to its production in some way I didn't know? Figured Takumi was staying completely separate team wise.

The answer hasn't changed I see. As of last night I began spoiling myself. I'm very happy with the first two cases but I'm still going to stop myself as I hold on to the small, tiniest slither of hope that maybe it will come stateside as I regretted giving up on PLvsAA before it was finally here two years after JP release.

That and the fan translation. I regretted spoiling AAI2 before playing the fan translation of that.

Restless college student

I think it's more likely that they believe the game won't sell in the west or at least not enough to justify the cost of a full translation, also considering the sales of DGS compared to AA6, i can see why they think so.
But i was thinking that maybe there was some sort of licensing issue with having Sherlock Holmes in the game since Frogware publishes a lot of games based on the character, but i think that's unlikely since the character is public domain.

At this point i think all we can do is hope they reconsider their choice, otherwise it's likely it'll end in translation hell like AAI 2.

Photographer Fanatic

Not surprised by this response. I suspect certain circumstances can mean things like

1. Low sales in Japan when DGS was released, meaning low localization priority.
2. Cultural disparity is even more extreme in DGS than the main title series, plus the game touches on racism and prejudice from the Japanese perspective that may be seen as unacceptable to the general western audience. So trying to localize these subjects may be very touchy.
3. Localization crew can only focus on one AA game at a time. Waiting until after AA6 is released outside of Japan to consider.

Also isn't Sherlock Holmes an open license? Could be wrong on that.

The law evolves with mankind

So that means the movement for Dai Gyakuten Saiban will continue after SoJ comes out? And we will...
Keep Pressing On?
(Does anyone even understand this joke?)

Captain LardNar wrote:
At this point i think all we can do is hope they reconsider their choice, otherwise it's likely it'll end in translation hell like AAI 2.

But on the bright side, the fan translation was...
Revolutionnaire-y
What good is faith without doubt?
What good is right without wrong?
What good is hope without despair?

Everything exists with a reason. Don't stay sad. Look at the brighter side.

I'm fine and ready for justice!

DeiStar wrote:
Still not purchasing SoJ thanks to this stunt, though + being digital only again.

By fan translation, do you mean the video subs that the channel Dai Gyakuten Saiban is doing or the fan localization/translation? :simon:
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I hope these circumstances are not some greedy Capcom leaders refusing to localize it because it's unprofitable. I mean, c'mon, it has London in it and friggin Sherlock Holmes. The brits will love it like they love Layton!

Really nice to hear that they can hear us even in Japan though. That means a lot IMO

Yamazaki:
Quote:
When you explain the game to someone, if they're not immediately caught by the premise of your story, you'll be like "who cares?" But if you say it's about a dark age of the law, or something's gone wrong, or lawyers are hated in this country--it makes you wonder what's going on.

SMH. I hate that he thinks that way. You're failing to impress if you go for impact-value first and can't deliver on it logically.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

That one super-uncooperative witness

linkenski wrote:
I hope these circumstances are not some greedy Capcom leaders refusing to localize it because it's unprofitable. I mean, c'mon, it has London in it and friggin Sherlock Holmes. The brits will love it like they love Layton!

Really nice to hear that they can hear us even in Japan though. That means a lot IMO

Well, to be fair, if you've ever been in one of those Japanese streams, there's always at least one person spamming LOCALIZE DGS ad nauseam in the stream chats regardless of how relevant it is to whatever's being discussed (to the point where it gets kind of annoying, to be honest). It's hard to not notice. :payne:

But really, in this industry as in anything else, it's a question of profits, and it's hardly greedy if they don't see the effort and trouble as being worth it, considering the lower sales (and more importantly, lower persisting sales) of DGS in its own home country. Ace Attorney is still squarely in what's considered the niche genre of visual novels in the West, even if it's one of the biggest-name ones, and it's also on the more expensive end of localization due to the high amount of text.

By the way, it seems like the source article was updated - it now says that Janet Hsu was the one who said the localization wasn't in the works, not Eshiro. (I thought it'd be weird for him to be using "we" in reference to localization talk.)

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I don't understand the reasoning behind refusing to buy a main title just because another has yet to be confirmed for localization. Y'all need ta loosen up. They hear us loud and clear already through Twitter, correspondence, and streaming sites. Amebafresh was ruined within minutes...

It's very possible that the localization team is bogged down by SoJ because it's the higher priority and they only have a small team to work with it. In no way has it been outright announced that they're not going to consider it afterward.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Prosecutor

Hold it.
According to this site
The one who answered about DGS was not Eshiro, but Janet Hsu.
And this makes sense because she's the translator...also Eshiro doens't have anything to do with Dai Gyakuten Saiban (for what i know, he assisted the live shows, but only that). So if we think about what she said months ago, which is "we cannot localize two games at the same time", then it's possible one of these problems is, basically, this one: They cannot translate DGS because they are currently translating Spirit of Justice.

(But i bet there are more problems about localization, people except a multi5 for this game, i don't think Capcom is for this).

DeiStar wrote:

Well I hope you enjoy all 0 future AA games that are going to be localized/physically released thanks to people thinking like that.
Signature loading, please wait...

Apollo4Justice wrote:
By fan translation, do you mean the video subs that the channel Dai Gyakuten Saiban is doing or the fan localization/translation? :simon:

There's a team working on a translation for the Japanese version. A modified 3DS rom.

Cesar Zero wrote:

Well I hope you enjoy all 0 future AA games that are going to be localized/physically released thanks to people thinking like that.

Sorry, I might seem jaded, but I'm honestly fed up with Capcom, and tired of being held by a leash, forced to buy games or else not getting them.
I bought AA5 (despite the digital only stunt), I bought the 3DS trilogy, I bought PLvsPW, and I don't get DGS because Capcom doesn't have faith in ourselves, the western fanbase. So if they don't care to give me games, why should I care about giving them money? So they can keep pushing out more JP exclusive games?

Again, sorry. My morals and points of view might be wrong and differ from yours, but even if no more localized games come out, there will always be a team willing to translate the games for everyone. It's not the healthiest way of thinking, but again, I don't WANT to be forced to buy games just to make sure more come my way. I'm happily purchasing Zero Escape 3 because the developer and Aksys actually care about me as consumer.

noletters wrote:
Not surprised by this response. I suspect certain circumstances can mean things like

You can add that DGS doesn't have Phoenix on the cover so they think we won't buy the game because PHOENIX WRIGHT is what sells and not ACE ATTORNEY here in the west.

Prosecutor

DeiStar wrote:
Apollo4Justice wrote:

There's a team working on a translation for the Japanese version. A modified 3DS rom.

Cesar Zero wrote:

Sorry, I might seem jaded, but I'm honestly fed up with Capcom, and tired of being held by a leash, forced to buy games or else not getting them.
I bought AA5 (despite the digital only stunt), I bought the 3DS trilogy, I bought PLvsPW, and I don't get DGS because Capcom doesn't have faith in ourselves, the western fanbase. So if they don't care to give me games, why should I care about giving them money? So they can keep pushing out more JP exclusive games?

Again, sorry. My morals and points of view might be wrong and differ from yours, but even if no more localized games come out, there will always be a team willing to translate the games for everyone. It's not the healthiest way of thinking, but again, I don't WANT to be forced to buy games just to make sure more come my way. I'm happily purchasing Zero Escape 3 because the developer and Aksys actually care about me as consumer.

noletters wrote:

You can add that DGS doesn't have Phoenix on the cover so they think we won't buy the game because PHOENIX WRIGHT is what sells and not ACE ATTORNEY here in the west.

I think the same.

That one super-uncooperative witness

DeiStar wrote:
Cesar Zero wrote:

It's not about Capcom pulling a "stunt" or how much "faith" they have. Business have a goal in mind and it's to make money. Even making the game to begin with is because they want to make money, so they try to make a good game so people will buy it. The only thing stopping everyone from doing a bad job is because bad jobs typically don't sell. (And when they do sell, companies crank them out like there's no tomorrow.)
If they don't see a reasonable profit margin coming out of its localization, then they won't do it. I've seen this happen in far worse cases as well - there's at least one game I can think of that is so saturated with text and has such an awful chance of doing well in the West it might as well be a localization company's worst nightmare. Companies are not entitled to give things to the fanbase, especially when they're not demanding money for what they're not bringing over.
It's funny you mention Zero Escape, because that's a series that absolutely has to go ham in the West - it sells so badly in Japan that they need every Western sale they can get. It's more than just Aksys doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. (They are a great company, but that's not the point here.)

How well do Ace Attorney games sell in the West? With the lack of anything like Media Create we can only guess, and how big an Internet fanbase could be is a pretty bad indicator considering this is a visual novel where people can easily watch videos of it online.
Sure, Dual Destinies was #1 in the eShop the week it debuted, but that's because most of the people who would have bought it physical now had to buy it digital. For all we know the sales could actually be the kind to justify the lack of a retail release for DD/SoJ/123. I mean, even I personally believe it must be higher than that, but do we have any way of knowing this for sure? Capcom has the numbers, so they're in a better position to know than we are, and maybe they're being overly paranoid - but again, we don't have any way of knowing.

Also, when you're saying "then I won't give my money because someone will translate it anyway" just because some of the games are digital, you're expecting people on the Internet to do the work for you for free, which is not only unhealthy but also incredibly entitled. (To be honest, I don't personally understand the big deal about it being digital-only - it's not like the Vita where memory is at a premium - and retail shipments are pretty pricey, but that's just a me thing, I guess.)

Aster Selene wrote:

It's not about Capcom pulling a "stunt" or how much "faith" they have. Business have a goal in mind and it's to make money. Even making the game to begin with is because they want to make money, so they try to make a good game so people will buy it. The only thing stopping everyone from doing a bad job is because bad jobs typically don't sell. (And when they do sell, companies crank them out like there's no tomorrow.)
If they don't see a reasonable profit margin coming out of its localization, then they won't do it. I've seen this happen in far worse cases as well - there's at least one game I can think of that is so saturated with text and has such an awful chance of doing well in the West it might as well be a localization company's worst nightmare. Companies are not entitled to give things to the fanbase, especially when they're not demanding money for what they're not bringing over.
It's funny you mention Zero Escape, because that's a series that absolutely has to go ham in the West - it sells so badly in Japan that they need every Western sale they can get. It's more than just Aksys doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. (They are a great company, but that's not the point here.)

How well do Ace Attorney games sell in the West? With the lack of anything like Media Create we can only guess, and how big an Internet fanbase could be is a pretty bad indicator considering this is a visual novel where people can easily watch videos of it online.
Sure, Dual Destinies was #1 in the eShop the week it debuted, but that's because most of the people who would have bought it physical now had to buy it digital. For all we know the sales could actually be the kind to justify the lack of a retail release for DD/SoJ/123. I mean, even I personally believe it must be higher than that, but do we have any way of knowing this for sure? Capcom has the numbers, so they're in a better position to know than we are, and maybe they're being overly paranoid - but again, we don't have any way of knowing.

Also, when you're saying "then I won't give my money because someone will translate it anyway" just because some of the games are digital, you're expecting people on the Internet to do the work for you for free, which is not only unhealthy but also incredibly entitled. (To be honest, I don't personally understand the big deal about it being digital-only - it's not like the Vita where memory is at a premium - and retail shipments are pretty pricey, but that's just a me thing, I guess.)

I won't go into much detail here. Yes, I understand that they're a business and that their primary goal is to get profit from their expenses, but I don't want to keep supporting their business model of "better buy this game or you won't get any more in the future."
It's not like Layton games that even though they took forever to be localized, at least I knew they were going to come over eventually so I didn't feel the need to buy one game to make sure I could play the next one.
I'm not saying I will demand people to fan-translate stuff. There are people doing that right now out of their own kindness, and that's cool. I'm just saying there will always be kind people like them out there willing to translate other games. And about digital, I don't know about you, but these games aren't exactly rich in replay value. With a physical copy, I can shelve the game after finishing it. If digital, it will just stay there, on my home screen, wasting SD space unless I delete it and re-download it again in case I ever want to replay the game for whatever reason.
So agree or disagree with me, that's just how I feel about the current state of the franchise. My apologies.
Anyway, this isn't the thread to complain about this sort of stuff, so I will drop the subject now. I hope one day DGS gets an official western release.

I'm fine and ready for justice!

DeiStar wrote:

I still don't understand the mindset that some people have in regards to the more recent Ace Attorney games. "If it's digital-only, I'm not buying it". If it's the only option available to play an official title, then what's the big deal? Before you say that it will just use space on your SD card, you can just as easily delete it and redownload it later, like you said. I just don't understand this mentality, that's all. :coffeetoss: :youngmia:
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!

Apollo4Justice wrote:
DeiStar wrote:

I still don't understand the mindset that some people have in regards to the more recent Ace Attorney games. "If it's digital-only, I'm not buying it". If it's the only option available to play an official title, then what's the big deal? Before you say that it will just use space on your SD card, you can just as easily delete it and redownload it later, like you said. I just don't understand this mentality, that's all. :coffeetoss: :youngmia:

I don't have a problem with digital games if they have good replay value. In fact, I prefer titles like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing as digital downloads, because it's the kind of games I'd be playing a lot. It's not the case for a VN like AA. Once I'm done with it, I'm done. Want to lend the game to a friend? Can't because digital only. Sell it? Can't because it's digital only. I buy the game and don't even get a pretty box to stare at after I delete the game to free up space from my SD.
I understand where you're coming from, but for me there's more to buying a game than just the software experience.

I'm not regretting importing and playing DGS last year so much anymore. I thought I was being hasty, but it seems even if it were to be localized, it won't be for a while. I still hope there is a chance of localizing it after the main Ace Attorney is released.

Leader of SCWRM Comms

Bolt Storm wrote:
Gamespot recently sat down with Eshiro and Yamazaki to chat about Spirit of Justice and localizing the series. While you can get the whole interview at the link, a few highlights:

Quote:
The localizations of the Phoenix Wright games take place in a vague "Japanamerica," and many cases are steeped in Japanese culture. Some of these themes may not translate well for some players. What are the challenges of localizing this series?

Eshiro: First of all, the game is made in Japan, so we make it in Japanese and the staff doesn't think about the localization at all. Once you start thinking about it, then you have to consider so many things, and you start locking yourself into a little space, right? To keep it so that they can make as creative of a product as possible, as creative of a story as possible, we don't think about the localization, we just make it as interesting as we can. When localization happens, I will sit down with [the team] and say, okay, this part should probably be localized because I'm not sure a lot of people outside of Japan would understand it. And he might say, "Well, let's keep it because it's important to the story or this character." Through this back and forth we decide the bigger picture of what to keep and what not to keep Japanese in that sense.

I based some of my decisions on the times. For example, nowadays people [in the West] know what ramen is but 10 years ago people didn't know what ramen was in the same way. I do go through and adjust, fine-tune what needs localizing and what doesn't based on what people know at that time.

Quote:

Eshiro: Unfortunately there's a number of circumstances... We absolutely do want to bring it to the West, but unfortunately due to these circumstances right now... I'm really really sorry! Nowadays on the Internet lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?" On livestreams, even in the Japanese ones, people from the West will write in and ask where it is. Every time we say, we're sorry! Certain circumstances are kind of getting in the way.

It's good to hear they're aware of the demand for DGS, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like anything's in the works.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I can't help be wonder if they're just stalling until Ace Attorney 6 is out.

I kind of understand why they haven't been in a rush to localize. Businesses are about making money. If you don't make money you can't make games. If your games aren't selling well in their home country, where they tend to do better than in the US, what's the point of localization? I'd love DGS as much as the next person, but I get it. These companies are composed of actual people, who needs salaries to survive and to keep making games. They aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

As for it being digital only, I was bummed when that happened with DD but it honestly doesn't bother me too much anymore. If that is the only way that I can get it, so be it. I still prefer physical copies but options are limited. I'm just happy SoJ is getting localized.

Jolly, Wrighto! Care to go swimming?

You know, this really ticks me off. Ace Attorney, as a whole, is great, but like what's been stated before, its Phoenix Wright that sells, not Ace Attorney. Look at Apollo Justice, for example. One of the main factors of why people didn't like it is because theres more Apollo than Phoenix, can I blame them? No. Apollo Justice released in 2007-2008(Not sure on an exact year) and PWAA was released in 2005. 3 years with a main core character is quite sometime, and all of a sudden, this new guy in red shows up, and of course, EVERYONE hates him. I really have a feeling that this is what they're thinking if they release DGS in western territories. But, I doubt this will happen again. Look at DD. We got introduced to a new lawyer in yellow. And many people really liked her story. So, if they do a DGS localization, hopefully Phoenix's ancestor will have the quirks and other traits of Phoenix, so DGS will be a solid entry in the franchise.

ASCEND

RedPotato wrote:
You know, this really ticks me off. Ace Attorney, as a whole, is great, but like what's been stated before, its Phoenix Wright that sells, not Ace Attorney. Look at Apollo Justice, for example. One of the main factors of why people didn't like it is because theres more Apollo than Phoenix, can I blame them? No. Apollo Justice released in 2007-2008(Not sure on an exact year) and PWAA was released in 2005. 3 years with a main core character is quite sometime, and all of a sudden, this new guy in red shows up, and of course, EVERYONE hates him. I really have a feeling that this is what they're thinking if they release DGS in western territories. But, I doubt this will happen again. Look at DD. We got introduced to a new lawyer in yellow. And many people really liked her story. So, if they do a DGS localization, hopefully Phoenix's ancestor will have the quirks and other traits of Phoenix, so DGS will be a solid entry in the franchise.

And then there are those people who actually like Apollo's character and wish to see him get developed and not left in the sidelines behind Phoenix in every single game. Or the people who don't like Phoenix and think he gets too much attention. And if you started with Apollo's game, you won't think Phoenix is that special, which is pretty much what happened to me.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Gardevoir lover

RedPotato wrote:

I think the reason people liked DD at launch was because Apollo was put in a supporting character role while Phoenix was put in the main character spot again not because of Athena's story (although some people did like her)

Heck one could argue that the entire reason for Ryu being Phoenix's ancestor WAS so they can sell the Phoenix Wright name alongside it.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Beauty and grace.

Even if Apollo wasn't well received at first, he ended up being much more popular after DD (considering he even took first place in the character popularity poll). Who's to say Ryu couldn't do the same?

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
RedPotato wrote:

I think the reason people liked DD at launch was because Apollo was put in a supporting character role while Phoenix was put in the main character spot again not because of Athena's story (although some people did like her)

I agree with you, as this is exactly what happened to me. The only protagonist I care about is Phoenix, not Apollo. I enjoyed Athena's backstory and Apollo's presence in the game mostly because it had Phoenix as the main character. I remember that when I played Apollo Justice I often thought "How I miss playing Phoenix".

Phoenix Wright was supposed to be only one game. It developed into the whole franchise because people loved the characters from the first game and wanted more.

Bolt Storm wrote:

Quote:

I wonder why... They say themselves that "lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?"". It would seem that they shouldn't worry about sales in the West as there is a quite big demand for it...

Has anyone asked what these "circumstances" preventing localization are?

Derper

Kiva wrote:
I wonder why... They say themselves that "lots of fans are directly asking us, "Where's Daigyakuten Saiban?"". It would seem that they shouldn't worry about sales in the West as there is a quite big demand for it...

They can't directly say "some person's been spamming our streams' chats with "Localize DGS"" because that'd be bad for PR.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Planetbox wrote:
RedPotato wrote:

And then there are those people who actually like Apollo's character and wish to see him get developed and not left in the sidelines behind Phoenix in every single game. Or the people who don't like Phoenix and think he gets too much attention. And if you started with Apollo's game, you won't think Phoenix is that special, which is pretty much what happened to me.

Except, in this second trilogy, Apollo is getting a ton of development. Dual Destinies was split between him and Athena, but SoJ has a LOT to do with Apollo, and we get more insight on him. And, of course, AJ was his own game.

ASCEND

TaylorHyuuga wrote:
Except, in this second trilogy, Apollo is getting a ton of development. Dual Destinies was split between him and Athena, but SoJ has a LOT to do with Apollo, and we get more insight on him. And, of course, AJ was his own game.

Of course, but in Dual Destinies, he only gets one full playable case, and is absent for most of the game. And sure, Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice was his own game, but it focused quite a bit on Phoenix's disbarment. Not only that, but you didn't even get to play as Apollo at all between the two trials in Turnabout Succession. Spirit of Justice looks like it's finally focusing on Apollo, which is something I'm happy about.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Blah!

TaylorHyuuga wrote:
Has anyone asked what these "circumstances" preventing localization are?

Using "circumstances" in an interview like that hints that they can't go into any more detail for PR reasons, so we probably will never know, even if DGS eventually does get released. There's no point for an interviewer to press further on the matter.

Planetbox wrote:
Of course, but in Dual Destinies, he only gets one full playable case, and is absent for most of the game. And sure, Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice was his own game, but it focused quite a bit on Phoenix's disbarment. Not only that, but you didn't even get to play as Apollo at all between the two trials in Turnabout Succession. Spirit of Justice looks like it's finally focusing on Apollo, which is something I'm happy about.

Yeah, but in a more character development standpoint, Apollo is being focused on in the second trilogy. Sure, he only got Monstrous Turnabout and Cosmic Turnabout in DD, but the game still had some focus on Apollo developing as a character, even if it did focus on Athena more. Also, I wouldn't say that he was absent for most of the game. He was put on the sidelines in Academy, yes, but that's about it. He was important in Countdown, even if he only physically appeared in the Lobby, he had Monstrous and Cosmic for himself, and he was a witness in Tomorrow. And yeah, SoJ is focused on Apollo a lot. You learn quite a bit more about his backstory. I personally don't see losing out on an investigation as Apollo between the two trials of 4-4 as a problem, but maybe that's just me.
Page 1 of 2 [ 64 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes