Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 31 posts ]

Less and less frequent releases?Topic%20Title

GS1: 2001 October
GS2: 2002 October (1 year later)
GS3: 2004 January (1 year and 3 months later)
GS4: 2007 April (3 years and 3 months later)

So even if we count GS1 DS a new game (which isn't, it only had one new case, developing which shouldn't be take as much time as a whole new game), it's one and half games games in 3 years and 3 months.

Now, Gyakuten Kenji was officially announced quite a while ago, and still no JP release date. Maybe we get one at TGS, but the earliest time it may be out in Japan is December. Now when was GK announced? Early this year I guess? So it gets released almost a year after it was announced.
GS5 MAY be announced at TGS (I really really hope it will be), so judging from GK's case, we can't anticipate GS5 being released (even in Japan) before mid 2009. Let's be generous and make in June.
It's 2 years and 2 months after GS4.

Okay, this is all speculation, but still, why does it take longer and longer to make each game?
Re: Less and less frequent releases?Topic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I think it's only natural. Every time they make a new game, they have to make it better than the one before, and that means taking more time. Your timeline also doesn't take into account the unique circumstances around the jump from GBA to DS.

Originally, GS3 was going to be the last in the series. They didn't start making GS4 immediately afterwards, so it's not like they spent the full 3 years in development. The GS1 DS remake came out fall 2005, roughly a year and a half after GS3, and even though they only added one case, they had to create and impliment a lot of new features, remix the music, redraw every sprite and background, etc etc.

GS4 then came out spring 2007, just about a year and a half after that remake.

So really, if Kenji comes out fall of 08 (or even winter), there's still about a year and a half peroid between game releases, and has been ever since GS3. If you take into account the amount of extra stuff they've done in addition to that (live action TV commercials, art books, more and more merchandise, two AA themed concerts) I'd say they're keeping up relatively well.

But then, if Kenji's release date isn't announced at this concert, I'm gonna start to get antsy!
ImageImage

Is Kenji done by the same developers as the main series?
If so, than it's forgiven. :)

Mostly human

Szabu wrote:
Is Kenji done by the same developers as the main series?
If so, than it's forgiven. :)

nope different teams

But... the writers are the same, right?
When different people write the sequel or spinoff of something, they often mess up, story not making sense with the original, characters being OOC, etc. What immidiately comes to my mind is the sea of Disney sequels, usually directed by different people than the original, and most of these sequels sucked (but of course, there are a few exceptions).

1000% Knight

Also, don't forget that GS4 was completely different from the first three. They couldn't reuse the Phoenix/Maya/Gumshoe/Edgy/Franny/Lotta/Pearl/Mia/Payne sprites. They had to make up new sprites for every single character. And make the 3D renders of everything. And make the Guitar's Serenade video. And make the high-quality percieve close-up sprites. It was a lot more work =\
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Surf's Up!

Bad Player wrote:
Also, don't forget that GS4 was completely different from the first three. They couldn't reuse the Phoenix/Maya/Gumshoe/Edgy/Franny/Lotta/Pearl/Mia/Payne sprites.

They did re-use the Phoenix and Gumshoe sprites, though! (and Hotti as well).

Szabu wrote:
GS1: 2001 October
GS2: 2002 October (1 year later)
GS3: 2004 January (1 year and 3 months later)
GS4: 2007 April (3 years and 3 months later)

And it took even longer for those games to come out over here (GS3 still hasn't been release yet!). So quit complaining!

I actually live in Europe and I'm not complaining, all I made was a finding that the time gaps between each episode was longer and longer.

1000% Knight

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Also, don't forget that GS4 was completely different from the first three. They couldn't reuse the Phoenix/Maya/Gumshoe/Edgy/Franny/Lotta/Pearl/Mia/Payne sprites.

They did re-use the Phoenix and Gumshoe sprites, though! (and Hotti as well).

Yeah, they reused the Phoenix and Gumshoe sprites...for one part.

And Hotti is probably the character with the least amount of lines for the entire game.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

still thinking for avatar

well for story like GS4, sure it's strange if they made it just in 1 or 2 years. Also they are so many new character, and it's not remake

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
wait, 3 years? so GS5 will come out in 2010 or 2011? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
I scientifically searching for these

Raw Rock Kills

Szabu wrote:
But... the writers are the same, right?
When different people write the sequel or spinoff of something, they often mess up, story not making sense with the original, characters being OOC, etc. What immidiately comes to my mind is the sea of Disney sequels, usually directed by different people than the original, and most of these sequels sucked (but of course, there are a few exceptions).

And the spinoff shows. Let's not forget them. I hated Disney taking the classic story of Jungle Book and making it into a TV show. What an evile corporation. :gant:
chargin his legalz

--==My Art==--

Raw rock kills.

You know how people can make case makers to do almost everything that happens in the PW games?
All the games used a pretty simple engine, allowing them to concentrate on dialouge.

AJ has, I hate to say it, gimmicks. it appears they will keep using them, so the games take longer since they have to do more complex programing.

Though I'm not a programmer, this is just a guess :keiko:
ImageImageImage

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Magnus Orion wrote:
You know how people can make case makers to do almost everything that happens in the PW games?
All the games used a pretty simple engine, allowing them to concentrate on dialouge.

And music and backgrounds and evidence and sprites and 3D manipulation and... lots of stuff. They don't have the kind of staff bigger Capcom games get so all things considered, a year and a half between games isn't that bad.

The spinoff is being made by a different team than the "main team" but the team has changed a lot over the years. The original producers have all moved on (the Clover guys), and they've changed artists a few times. The backbone of the series has always been the head writer/director, Takumi. He is not working on the prosecutor spinoff as far as I know.

GK is being headed by director Yamazaki (who I believe joined the team when it moved to DS, but I don't know in what capacity), producer Eshiro (who is a fan of the series but hasn't been in charge before - I think he worked on one or more of the Onimusha games), and Iwamoto the character designer (who was the artist for GS2).

Not sure what Takumi is working on, other than the concerts.
ImageImage

Ace

i thought i heard that GS5 was anounced in 2007 and would come out in like 2009 this year O.O. i really would hope if the game would be released sooner

Strong bonds are what leads us to Justice!

OBJECTION!

Yeah it was announced in 2007 that there would be a GS5, but you're probably mixed up with Perfect Prosecutor as regards to when GS5 will come out. If GS5 was to come out this year (in Japan) don't you think we'd know more about it?
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Also, currently Capcom is working on Teh Edgey game...

OBJECTION!

That's what I said ;)

The edgey game is coming out in may in japan (I think). :think:
How this has relevance I don't know.
PEARL DIES TONIGHT

OBJECTION!

You are right, the Edgey game is released May 28 in Japan.

Yeah, even though it's a spinoff and it shouldn't count this way, GK is more than 2 years after GS4.
Between GS1 and 2: 1 year
Between GS2 and 3: 1,25 years
Between GS1 DS and GS4: 1,5 years (if we assume that GS4's productions started after GS4 DS)
Between GS4 and GK: 2(+) years

And GS5 is still not announced, and as we know, there's always minimum one year between a game's announcement and release.

OBJECTION!

Wasn't it announced in 2007 (or said there "will be a GS5"?) so maybe it will be 2.5 years between Capcom saying there will be a GS5 and the game actually appearing. Remember we have got some "info" (?) on GS5 in interviews.

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

But there is so much more work to be done in GK. As well as making all new sprites for remakes of some characters and sprites for all new characters. For several characters, their sprites will need to be made twice. They also need to make the tiny sprites. The backgrounds which have to be made 3D. A lot of time must have been put into the planning stage for this one especially. I'm not surprised it's taking them a while. Actually, I was expecting a much longer wait.
Thank you ILoveMaxGalactica* for the signature~

SaraVera wrote:
But there is so much more work to be done in GK. As well as making all new sprites for remakes of some characters and sprites for all new characters. For several characters, their sprites will need to be made twice. They also need to make the tiny sprites. The backgrounds which have to be made 3D. A lot of time must have been put into the planning stage for this one especially. I'm not surprised it's taking them a while. Actually, I was expecting a much longer wait.

The good old times when making a game took only a year...
With this new HD era, everything takes so long.
And the DS has by far the best development times, the other consoles are worse in this.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

I personally believe that the best sign that Capcom is working on GS5 is that we haven't heard anything about it recently.

Remember, Capcom IS taking a gamble by giving us Gyakuten Kenji. And unlike Street Fighter, and MegaMan, the fandom for PW isn't large enough that they can over saturate the market with games and make a reasonable profit.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes a ton of sense to broadcast Kenji as much as they can. Then wait until Kenji's hype has died before announcing the next game. It's a delicate balance of making sure they get the most from the consumer's wallet.

Remember, if they try to advertise both Kenji and GS5, then the gamers are going to make a choice between which game they want to buy. Capcom stands to make more money by stair stepping the releases.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

AAO English community manager

Ah yes, that's a good point. This means we should definitely expect some news in E3 09 or TGS 09.

Wooster wrote:
I personally believe that the best sign that Capcom is working on GS5 is that we haven't heard anything about it recently.

Remember, Capcom IS taking a gamble by giving us Gyakuten Kenji. And unlike Street Fighter, and MegaMan, the fandom for PW isn't large enough that they can over saturate the market with games and make a reasonable profit.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes a ton of sense to broadcast Kenji as much as they can. Then wait until Kenji's hype has died before announcing the next game. It's a delicate balance of making sure they get the most from the consumer's wallet.

Remember, if they try to advertise both Kenji and GS5, then the gamers are going to make a choice between which game they want to buy. Capcom stands to make more money by stair stepping the releases.

Yeah, it also doesn't help that Capcom's always been oddly hesitant about everything. Even in Street Fighter's case, it sounds like it took a lot of convincing to get SFIV made. Hell, it seems like the only thing they're ever sure of is Megaman and Resident Evil. Everything else is just a second tier franchise.

Bronze Samurai

Croik wrote:
Magnus Orion wrote:

And music and backgrounds and evidence and sprites and 3D manipulation and... lots of stuff. They don't have the kind of staff bigger Capcom games get so all things considered, a year and a half between games isn't that bad.

The spinoff is being made by a different team than the "main team" but the team has changed a lot over the years. The original producers have all moved on (the Clover guys), and they've changed artists a few times. The backbone of the series has always been the head writer/director, Takumi. He is not working on the prosecutor spinoff as far as I know.

GK is being headed by director Yamazaki (who I believe joined the team when it moved to DS, but I don't know in what capacity), producer Eshiro (who is a fan of the series but hasn't been in charge before - I think he worked on one or more of the Onimusha games), and Iwamoto the character designer (who was the artist for GS2).

Not sure what Takumi is working on, other than the concerts.

The Clover guys produced them originally?

No wonder I love the games...
Image Julia...<3
Related to NaturallyLazy, fatalfeline, JadeRoach, and Game Over!

OBJECTION!

Clover Studios was shut down right?

nuuuuu, stoooooop

grim_tales wrote:
Clover Studios was shut down right?

Yeah, but most of the big wigs have moved on to Platinum Games, including GS's original Producer, Inaba. They've worked on a lot of unique games. :grossburg:
ImageImage

call me crazy

Apparently, Inaba is the main producer for MadWorld.

OBJECTION!

Thanks Croik :)
Viewtiful Joe was a Clover game, I enjoyed that :D
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps