Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Ace Attorney HD CollectionTopic%20Title

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

HD Collections are pretty popular these days.

What would you all think if Capcom released an Ace Attorney Collection (PW and AJ [probably not AAI, since they don't seem to like it]) for like the 3DS or something? With remastered music and updated visuals.

inb4
>rehashan
>money grubban
>capcom fan hatan
Re: Ace Attorney HD CollectionTopic%20Title

I know there's probably not a lot of people who would support this idea, but I would actually love to see a HD version of the original PW trilogy.. that I would be able to play on a console! I know it's much more suitable on a portable system, but I'd rather play all of my games on a home console if I had the opportunity. That's the same reason why I prefer the Wiiware versions of the PW trilogy - it gives a more cinematic feel to the game, although it's not that pretty when it's being enlarged on a big screen. But yeah, I would want my Ace Attorney games in HD if it was on a big screen (not really necessary for a portable IMO)
Latest game update: 25/03/11
If anyone is interested in helping me with the script, please PM me.
UPDATE: Case 2 preview: http://www.4shared.com/video/JAKBIUPG/AAJAD2.html

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but what console would be ideal for it? 3DS? Vita? Wii?

...Wii U?

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

I think the original PC graphics for the first 3 games would look really good, but they could also add in more sprite frames to make the animation smoother.

Gettin' Old!

Rov wrote:
I think the original PC graphics for the first 3 games would look really good, but they could also add in more sprite frames to make the animation smoother.

Or if it's not too much work give them the AJ/AAI-higher quality sprites.
Though I think an AA collection would have plenty of market value especially considering the rarity of some of the games on the street.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

The PC sprites are better quality than AJ/AAI. It would be less work to rip them from that than it would to remake them in AJ/AAI quality, I would imagine. You'd only have to up-res one game. Well, unless the collection included both AAI games...

Deputy of Self-Esteem

For the record, the high quality 'sprites' I posted were for the PROMOTION to the PC version of GS1-GS3. They were ports of the GBA version of the game. The in game sprites were less desirable then the DS version. And in fact the PC version didn't have GS1-5.

I don't know why people keep thinking the PC version had all the quality stuff in it. The animations were even broken for the promotion.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Tea time.

Rov wrote:

I'm sure they already have those extra animation frames, in fact the AAI sprites I ripped from Capcom's AAI promotion videos, most characters had an extra blink frame unlike their DS sprite counterparts.

Spoiler:
Image Image
If you don't see the big one move, you're probably using a browser that doesn't support animated pngs (try firefox)

Ace Nobody

Darn, for a sec I thought capcom revealed an AA HD collection.
What I want is a Devil Survivor Overclocked-type remake with voice acting, uped graphics, and an extra case.

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Wooster wrote:
For the record, the high quality 'sprites' I posted [...]
WHERE?!
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MyAnimeList | My PW/AA Stuff and Translations | My fic thread

Yeah, I haven't seen these "High Quality" sprites either. Link please?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17693

Enjoy. But let me reiterate, the PC version was no better then the GBA version in terms of sprites. The images I posted were to PROMOTE the PC version. Every time the PC version comes up there's confusion.

1000% Knight

I don't know if they'd really go full-HD on us, but maybe GS1-3 with improved graphics for the 3DS on one cartridge...? (could be the 10th anniversary announcement?)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Wooster wrote:
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17693

Enjoy. But let me reiterate, the PC version was no better then the GBA version in terms of sprites. The images I posted were to PROMOTE the PC version. Every time the PC version comes up there's confusion.

Those look great! Is there any reason those weren't used in-game?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

A few. First, The GBA and DS can't handle full quality illustrations, and it's impractical on top of which. Even more powerful systems like the Wii (First hand in Trauma Center) don't use full quality art all the time. There's too much overhead in resizing and calculating the transparency (The latter being the real drain).

Second, the PC port was intended to make a quick buck. Capcom could do a quality port, or they could save all that money and just repackage the same game. Capcom chose the latter. And they kept choosing it, on the iPhone, the Wii, Verizon...

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

Wooster wrote:
I don't know why people keep thinking the PC version had all the quality stuff in it. The animations were even broken for the promotion.

Ah, my mistake.

But yeah, use those graphics in an HD remake. I think they'd probably have all the high-resolution images stored on file before they were turned into sprites. I wouldn't imagine it being all too difficult for the professionals to re-skin the game with high-res images.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Yes.... and no. You're on the right track. It's true that they do have some sort of engine that does what you're imagining, as evidenced by every TGS Court event. But some things aren't dealt with until they hit the sprites. Phoenix's sweat animation for instance. It's very very close, but obviously not 1:1.

Wooster wrote:
A few. First, The GBA and DS can't handle full quality illustrations, and it's impractical on top of which. Even more powerful systems like the Wii (First hand in Trauma Center) don't use full quality art all the time. There's too much overhead in resizing and calculating the transparency (The latter being the real drain).

I was talking about the PC version, actually. Should have clarified. Sorry.

Wooster wrote:
Second, the PC port was intended to make a quick buck. Capcom could do a quality port, or they could save all that money and just repackage the same game. Capcom chose the latter. And they kept choosing it, on the iPhone, the Wii, Verizon...

That makes sense, I guess (I'm wondering why they ported the GBA version instead of the DS version, but eh. Whatever floats Capcom's boat.)

Wait, if a collection were to be released the 3DS, wouldn't they kinda need to update the sprites to 3D models to take advantage of the 3D effect?

And what games would be on a collection, I wonder? :yuusaku: GS1-3? GS1-4? GS1-4 and GK1-2?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

As for why they used the GBA version, I've got two lines of suspect. First, the PC port might not have been done by Takumi's team (Thus while GS1-DS was being developed, another team was already at work porting the GBA version). Second, and I think this is more likely, Nintendo and Capcom might've signed some sort of contract. Something like X discount or promotion in exchange for exclusivity for X period of time.

As for a collection... I'm not sure. The GBA and DS's screen sizes and resolutions were comparable. So it was 'relatively' easy to port. I'm over simplifying, but it basically boiled down to crop less. Using the same stint on the 3DS won't fly. They might have to remaster the entire saga. And... considering Capcom and ports, I don't think that's likely at all. If there's going to be a collection, expect a quick and dirty port.

... and actually, such a collection would be appropriate for the upcoming 10th Court Date.

Yeah, a collection would be appropriate for the Court Date.....

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

I just wish they'd released ports of (at the very least, some of) the games on the 'Droid market. I'd sure as hell buy them all.
If videogames make murderers, then guns kill people and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Shiki Tohno wrote:
I just wish they'd released ports of (at the very least, some of) the games on the 'Droid market. I'd sure as hell buy them all.

If the iOS ports were any indication, you're not missing much at all. The background and foreground sprites were scaled independent of each other. And there was a very noticeable lag between dragging your finger on the screen, and the cross hairs updating.

「これが、モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」

Not like I care about that much. Personally, what attracts me about the games is the content, not the graphics. Even if they were made with ASCII graphics I wouldn't care.

Plus, it's a hell of a lot more convenient to just carry them on your phone instead of having to carry a DS and all the game cartridges if I ever wanted to replay any of them at any given time.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps