Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 38 posts ]

Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney [Case 1 released!]Topic%20Title

PLAY IN FIREFOX
Click the banner to play!

Hi, and welcome to mine and MercurialSK's fangame, Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney! We've been hard at work completely revamping it, and we've just released the first case. There will be four cases and total, all with their own twists and turnabouts, and amazing art courtesy a la SK. You can click on the spoilers below to get case synopses (right now, just the first one). You can also find links to the soundtrack. Enjoy, and make sure to let us know what you thought by replying to this thread!

Spoiler: Case 1: The Jealous Turnabout
The first case in the series. Trial-only. Chris and his mentor, Lionel Taylor, have taken on a brand new case (and Chris's first!): one of Lionel's long term friends has been accused of committing murder. The evidence stacked against her is quite impressive, and the situation seems dire. Can Chris turn it around, or will a broken system hold him back?

Spoiler: Case 2: TBD

Spoiler: Case 3: TBD

Spoiler: Case 4: TBD

Spoiler: Soundtrack
pursuit~cornered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXsgJERxW4
victory ~ triumph is bittersweet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_AUhCJP6I
objection ~ turning the tables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLhwq07cuY
examining the reality ~ moderato+allegro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmM_rlnYnmw
logic ~ twists and turns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3C-FrmHn44
courtroom prelude ~ awaiting fate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5-07yknWY (ten seconds in)

what do you mean aligning everything in the center is strange

Last edited by drvonkitty on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Re: [AAO] Christopher Tenson: Ace Attorney (Seeking Help)Topic%20Title

Anybody intrigued? Anyone have any thoughts?

The world ends with you

Sorry, but that info isn't enough to get somebody intrigued(I think). You need to add some more. Some arts maybe or info about the cases. You need just a little more.

Thanks for the tip. We're pretty early in development so we don't have a lot of stuff to show off, but I have added a little bit of art. My friend will be working on some more art to show off, and it should be ready in a day or so. I also hope to get some more information about the cases out. However, unless we get some help on the sprites, it may be a while until we release case one..

The quality of your artwork gives me the impression that I'm going to be playing a pretty low-quality case.

You should get that fixed ;P

If your first case is relying on OC's, you should add in placeholder sprites first, and *THEN* request an artist to get some spriting done for you later (I mean later as in "releasing this case later" later).

The way I see it, this project is going to go nowhere if you already need to use a large, custom amount of resources that need to be made/created.

I also suggest posting this at AAO if you haven't already, I haven't seen this series there before, but I could be wrong ;)

Huddini wrote:
The quality of your artwork gives me the impression that I'm going to be playing a pretty low-quality case.

You should get that fixed ;P

If your first case is relying on OC's, you should add in placeholder sprites first, and *THEN* request an artist to get some spriting done for you later (I mean later as in "releasing this case later" later).

The way I see it, this project is going to go nowhere if you already need to use a large, custom amount of resources that need to be made/created.

I also suggest posting this at AAO if you haven't already, I haven't seen this series there before, but I could be wrong ;)

I appreciate the feedback, but don't you think that judging the case based on the concept art is a bit near-sighted? And we have used placeholder sprites-- The first case is actually finished, except for the sprites and the testing (which, if you had read the progress, you might have noticed). Sorry for the rough remark, but even if you are trying to help, I don't appreciate assumptions.

If your artwork/spritework is in the state that it is now, then I have more than enough reason to conclude that the rest of the case is going to be in that type of state. My assumption might be something that other people will have based on that alone.

That artwork looks like *garbage* compared to other trial serie's presentation/showcase threads. Not trying to insult your hard work or anything, but really, it didn't even look like you tried on the AA logo.

I'm simply telling you to fix it/re-do it so you can convince others otherwise. It's a huge turnoff seeing that kind of presentation, and it *will* show up in an AAO trial.

Again with the sprites, if you have placeholders already, get it released now.

The concern about betatesting is legitimate, I'll give you that, so state in your thread title that you're in need of betatesters (AAO folks will be happy to do it too if you ask there).
Don't just wait for custom sprites. Again, they can come MUCH MUCH later.

Huddini wrote:
If your artwork/spritework is in the state that it is now, then I have more than enough reason to conclude that the rest of the case is going to be in that type of state. My assumption might be something that other people will have based on that alone.

That artwork looks like *garbage* compared to other trial serie's presentation/showcase threads. Not trying to insult your hard work or anything, but really, it didn't even look like you tried on the AA logo.

Okay, isn't garbage a bit harsh? Sure-- it's not the best lookiing thing in the world, but I wouldn't call it garbage (Do mind, that I didn't even make it). Also, it seems incredibly near-sighted and just plain unintelligent to judge the quality of my writing based on two pieces of art. I mean, don't you see something wrong with that?. If you want to call our game garbage, then do explain why, not just "other people have better ones."

drvonkitty wrote:
Huddini wrote:

Okay, isn't garbage a bit harsh? Sure-- it's not the best lookiing thing in the world, but I wouldn't call it garbage (Do mind, that I didn't even make it). Also, it seems incredibly near-sighted and just plain unintelligent to judge the quality of my writing based on two pieces of art. I mean, don't you see something wrong with that?. If you want to call our game garbage, then do explain why, not just "other people have better ones."

I don't think I'm being harsh when these type of logos/artwork exists:

Yours is definitely not the best looking, but it doesn't mean you as an author should hold yourself to "low" standards, whether or not you made it is irrelevant.

I have never actually said that the quality of your writing is bad, nor have I actually judged your case, nor have I said your game is garbage. You're putting words in my mouth ;P

But what you're presenting now COMES OFF as "garbage" COMPARED to other showcase threads.

I simply said that what you're presenting now is giving me the *IMPRESSION* that you're treating the quality of other elements of your case as low as the art/spriteworks you have showcased.
Simply get the logo fixed so that type of impression doesn't exist and lurkers/viewers don't click away from your thread because of it.

That's it.
Re: Christopher Tenson: Ace Attorney [Betatesting+Help WanteTopic%20Title

The bow isn't going to tie itself.

Well, it's good to know my art is garbage. Thank you for your input. That first sprite was just a thing I used as a practice, and is not in fact an actual sprite. I used a base for that anyway. I'm doing all of my sprites from scratch, so they won't be nearly as bad.

@Bowtie, your concept is good for the sprite that's shown, but the execution is poor, to say the least (and I'm being nice when I say that). It really just needs shading.

If this is not what's going to be in the case (since you're saying you are doing your sprites from scratch, which I know for a fact is going to take alot of work and stall the release of this case), then don't showcase it on the OP [this is not directed to Bowtie, but the actual OP]

Again with the garbage comment, I haven't said your stuff was actually garbage >.>
-----------------------

I understand why you guys think my posts are harsh, but I feel like the only way to get my message across to you guys so you can have a good case released/progress is being honest about the things I say.

If you don't like what I have to say, then sorry that I offended you, better to tell you up front rather than sugarcoat and pretend to say everything that you've shown to the public in the OP looks good and is exciting you know?

No hard feelings man.

drvonkitty wrote:
Concept Art for Chris:

Concept Art = an Idea for what the character might look like.
Also:
I have made the logo smaller to get rid of the pixelization. I changed the title to let people know I'm seeking betatesters, made it clear that the concept art is not a sprite, and I've made an AAO thread. Trust me, I'm not ignoring your advice. However, I don't appreciate the way you try to communicate it.

Last edited by drvonkitty on Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Trusty Nudal!

drvonkitty wrote:
drvonkitty wrote:
Concept Art for Chris:

Also:
I have made the logo smaller to get rid of the pixelization. I changed the title to let people know I'm seeking betatesters, made it clear that the concept art is not a sprite, and I've made an AAO thread. Trust me, I'm not ignoring your advice. However, I don't appreciate the way you try to communicate it.

Huddini gets that, what he's trying to say if that (it happened to me too) when someone sees bad artwork like that, it's hard to take the rest of the game seriously when that hurts my eyes. ^^' If you're going to make better sprites, take that down until you get better ones, or just use stock sprites...
Signature and Avatar by the wonderful Midnight Jasper! Check out her graphics, you will be impressed!
Check out my sprites!
Creator of Leon Prinze Ace Attorney - Final Judgment (Sprites by Ceres)

nudalman wrote:
drvonkitty wrote:
drvonkitty wrote:
Concept Art for Chris:

Also:

Huddini gets that, what he's trying to say if that (it happened to me too) when someone sees bad artwork like that, it's hard to take the rest of the game seriously when that hurts my eyes. ^^' If you're going to make better sprites, take that down until you get better ones, or just use stock sprites...

I'm not even going to quote these two because this is extremely frustrating. You can look and even see that it was stated there.

"Concept Art for Chris(this is not a sprite)"
-The Art Section
"the concept art is not a sprite"
-The post that you quoted

The concept art isn't a sprite. Do I need to make it huge letters in bold text to make it clear?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Lets just agree the 'Garbage' comment was out of line. There are better ways to convey the same intended message without resorting to derogatives.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

^I'll take flak for that then.

...But I honestly have no idea how I could've conveyed the eyesore of the original versions any other way, plus I still didn't say any of their stuff was *actually* "garbage" >.>

Anyways, again, I apologize for the words that may have offended you.

Also dr, before you changed the title to "this is not a sprite", anyone can assume from just looking at that "concept art" that it looks like an incomplete sprite :P

What I'm trying to say is, it doesn't look different from a typical sprite (aside from a lack of shading), so I wouldn't call it a "concept artk", I'd probably call it a "concept design WIP" or something for one of the characters. That makes it pretty clear that the final design won't be like that in the trial.

Also saw your thread on AAO, nice one ;), I see they've been pointing out some things too (such as first case name title), but it's rather minor and you should be ok in that regard.

And also good job on getting the AA logo resized down, there's no obvious pixels showing up and it's VERY pleasing to look at. Although it's a simple logo, it should keep enough attention for visitors to check out.

Thanks. Glad to see that we can work it out :phoenix:
EDIT: Anyways, this post has gotten a bit dead. However, if you're looking to see some liveliness, there are plenty of people over on the post at AAO. Hopefully this one will be revived from the dead someday...

Case One has been released! Leave us some constructive criticism, please!
Re: Christopher Tenson: Ace Attorney [Case One Released!]Topic%20Title

I know I haven't updated here recently, but basically I redid the entire first case because I decided it wasn't high enough quality. It has now been re-released!

Hey, bringing this thread back to first page for visibility. It's certainly active on AAO at least, but I'm sure CR can show some love too ;)

Huddini wrote:
Hey, bringing this thread back to first page for visibility. It's certainly active on AAO at least, but I'm sure CR can show some love too ;)

Most certainly! Don't be afraid to show some love (or constructive hate!) to the game. It's always appreciated! You can also go over to the AAO thread if you want to see a little bit more activity.
Re: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney {Seeking Betatesters!}Topic%20Title

Dear lord, I've pretty much let this entire thread die off! I feel as though I'm obligated to update it, since I feel kind of bad for giving AAO all of my attention.

All right, prepare for a super-long post (in terms of my update posts, anyway.)

So, both part one and part two of The Clock Strikes Turnabout have been released, and the third part is well on its way to completion. You can find links to play them under case info.
~~~
I received an awesome gift from the amazing Dataman- a revamp of my revamp of Chris' sprites (that's a mouthful!).
I feel like with this new revamp of my revamp, the sprite is REALLY starting to look like a respectable Ace Attorney sprite, and is finally managing to pull away from its Apollo base roots. I hope to have revamps of all the other sprites done eventually.

~~~
Next off, some screenshots of the third part:
Ooh! Mysterious, isn't it? :D

~~~

Along with BowTie (who is sorta/kinda/maybe still a part of the team for making this case, who knows), I've been able to find a decent array of custom music for the game! It's not all found, of course, but expect to hear it in the court segments (investigation segments will still use AAI music) soon!

Track list:
Courtroom Prelude~Awaiting Fate
Court Begins~The Halls of Judgement
Examining the Reality~Moderato
Examining the Reality~Allegro
Objection!~Turning the Tables
Pursuit~Seeking the Truth
Pursuit~Seeking the Truth(variation)
Reveal the Truth
Victory!~We Won! (because I'm that clever)

As you can imagine, not all of these titles are definite (some more than others!) :P

~~~

In conclusion, a lot of stuff happened (especially so here, considering my lack of updates). Stay tuned for more updates! Remember, there's more activity on AAO then there is here so you may want to consider checking there if you're interested in more updates.

That artwork is awesome. Keep up the good work man. :jake:

Eurekajuice wrote:
That artwork is awesome. Keep up the good work man. :jake:

Thanks!
~~~
New update! Thanks to this AMAZING gift from mercurialSK (who sent me this just out the kindness of his heart!):
A revamp of the logo! Thanks so much, mercurialSK!!!

Change is coming soon...
~ ~ ~

While the progress on case one continues (still looking for beta-testers by the way!), the main thread will also be getting a revamp as well, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, very vague teaser art - try and guess all four of the people pictured!
~ ~ ~

I'd also like to welcome MercurialSK as an official collaborator on the team, having done work for cases such as Two Sides of The Same Turnabout in the past, as well as of course mine in the past as well! Practically all art assets are by him (Lion's sprite was by him, for example), so look forward to a vast improvement in future cases! You can find his art thread here and his sprites here.

The case is now officially in the beta-testing phase. (It's been in there for a few days actually, I just forgot to mention it, heh...). Anyway, I just figured I'd leave a small update for anyone interested, stay tuned.

Mia Payne

drvonkitty wrote:
The case is now officially in the beta-testing phase. (It's been in there for a few days actually, I just forgot to mention it, heh...). Anyway, I just figured I'd leave a small update for anyone interested, stay tuned.

The clubs can't handle you!
Re: Chris Tenson: Ace AttorneyTopic%20Title

The guy who looks at stuff

I happened to stumble upon this topic only to find little on it. You have a logo that looks interesting but there is literary no info on the page.

Could you perhaps tell me a little about this project? I'd certainly like to hear about it.

MattieBoy4 wrote:
I happened to stumble upon this topic only to find little on it. You have a logo that looks interesting but there is literary no info on the page.

Could you perhaps tell me a little about this project? I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Hi there!

The project is currently in a transitional phase, which is why there's absolutely nothing on the front page but a very vague teaser art. The first case is practically finished by this point, but it's been majorly delayed due to my collaborator and I entering a competition on AAO. If you'd like to know a little bit about the series, it's a 4-case ace attorney game, following the story of a new OC, Chris Tenson. I can't tell you much more than that, but it's an ambitious project, and if I do say so myself, I have high hopes for its future.

In fact, I figure I'll release a few screenshots (To prove it exists):
Spoiler: Images

That's all for now, stay tuned!

drvonkitty wrote:
MattieBoy4 wrote:

Hi there!

The project is currently in a transitional phase, which is why there's absolutely nothing on the front page but a very vague teaser art. The first case is practically finished by this point, but it's been majorly delayed due to my collaborator and I entering a competition on AAO. If you'd like to know a little bit about the series, it's a 4-case ace attorney game, following the story of a new OC, Chris Tenson. I can't tell you much more than that, but it's an ambitious project, and if I do say so myself, I have high hopes for its future.

In fact, I figure I'll release a few screenshots (To prove it exists):
Spoiler: Images

That's all for now, stay tuned!

Wow! It's looking pretty good! I look forward to the final game.

I noticed that Chris himself looks like a cross between Phoenix, Edgeworth and Apollo. Will he be anything like those characters? Or do the similarities end with the looks? And feel free not to answer this, but will there be canon characters in this other than Winston Payne and the Judge?

MattieBoy4 wrote:

I noticed that Chris himself looks like a cross between Phoenix, Edgeworth and Apollo. Will he be anything like those characters? Or do the similarities end with the looks? And feel free not to answer this, but will there be canon characters in this other than Winston Payne and the Judge?

I'm glad to know you look forward to it!

In reference to Chris, his sprite is a mash-up of Apollo, Phoenix, and Edgeworth, yep. However, Chris' character is independent of those three - that's been one of my primary goals with the newest revision, and there shouldn't be any issues with him seeming like a clone of any of the canon attorneys. And in case one, there won't be any other canon characters. In later cases? Yes.

drvonkitty wrote:
MattieBoy4 wrote:

I'm glad to know you look forward to it!

In reference to Chris, his sprite is a mash-up of Apollo, Phoenix, and Edgeworth, yep. However, Chris' character is independent of those three - that's been one of my primary goals with the newest revision, and there shouldn't be any issues with him seeming like a clone of any of the canon attorneys. And in case one, there won't be any other canon characters. In later cases? Yes.

I see. Going by his design and what little we see of his personality form the screen-shots, Chris is looking like a fresh new take on Ace Attorney protagonists.

Yes on canon characters? Neat! I look forward to seeing who gets an appearance. Speaking of that, when, if at all is this taking place in the Ace Attorney timeline? I noticed you are using Winston from the original trilogy, so I take it that this takes place before Apollo Justice?

MattieBoy4 wrote:
I see. Going by his design and what little we see of his personality form the screen-shots, Chris is looking like a fresh new take on Ace Attorney protagonists.

Yes on canon characters? Neat! I look forward to seeing who gets an appearance. Speaking of that, when, if at all is this taking place in the Ace Attorney timeline? I noticed you are using Winston from the original trilogy, so I take it that this takes place before Apollo Justice?

The first case occurs in November of 2020, so yes, you're correct.

drvonkitty wrote:
MattieBoy4 wrote:

The first case occurs in November of 2020, so yes, you're correct.

I see.

Well, it looks like you guys got something pretty sweet here. I wish you all the best!

Figured I should update here since it's been ages, so here's the most recent update from the AAO thread:

Quote:
In other news, I'm aiming to get the first case out soon. It's... certainly been delayed a lot. I can't give an exact date since I still need to discuss some finer details with SK and get a beta-report in for a new update, but after that it should be released. I don't see why it wouldn't be done by mid-October or earlier, but then again, the original estimation was June before the case comp, sooooo.... yeah! Just wanted to let everyone know that this isn't dead.

Oh wow I haven't checked back here in a long time and I really love the rebranding effort you've done. You've come a long way. Keep it up!
Re: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney [Case 1 released!]Topic%20Title

The new (and hopefully final!) revamp of the first case is out! Enjoy!
Re: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney [Case 1 released!]Topic%20Title

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

I recommend giving this a play. Very solid first case, and the presentation is fantastic.

i will get you that review i promise
Page 1 of 1 [ 38 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games