Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 6 posts ]

Apollo Justice:Ace Attorney-Appeal to Truth (Case 1!)Topic%20Title

Weird Background Character

Appeal to Truth should (hopefully) end up as a four-case fan game developed in PyWright. It’s something of an alternate-universe Apollo Justice with what’s probably going to be a narrative that focuses a bit too much on its characters. While it’s not really relevant yet it’ll eventually spoil a lot of the mainline and investigations games, so maybe keep that in mind going forward. That being said, I kind of doubt my ability to put together an appealing pitch with just plot summary alone, especially one that I don’t end up making super awkward. I think it also might be a good idea to keep a lot of the plot details I’ve planned secret for now as well. Taking that into account, I figured the best way to garner interest would probably be to actually put something out there instead, so…

Case one is complete!

I’m a little nervous about a few elements of the first case, but I hope you guys like it! Don’t focus too much on the nature of the AU for now; Case 1 is where it’s at its most unexplained. There’ll be some (hopefully sensible) justification down the line, but I wanna keep it a bit of a mystery for the time being. Hope you’ll bear with me.

Cases and Progress:
Spoiler: Case 1 - Turnabout Dawn
Several months into his new career as an attorney Apollo is finally promised his first chance to work in court alongside his mentor, taking a case on the request of his closest friend. However, when the day of the trial finally comes he finds himself to be the only defense attorney in the defendant’s lobby. With mere minutes before court begins and his mentor nowhere to be found, Apollo is forced to take on his very first case- whether he’s ready or not.
Progress:
Planning: 100%
Initial Draft: 100%
Subsequent Drafts/Script Polish: 100%
Sprite-Work: 100%
Coding: 100%
Testing: 100%

Spoiler: Case 2 - Turnabout on Rails
More details will be added soon!
Progress:
Planning: 85%
Initial Draft: 20%
Subsequent Drafts/Script Polish: 0%
Sprite-Work: 10%
Coding: 0%
Testing: 0%

Spoiler: Case 3 - Amusement and Turnabout
More details will be added as development progresses.
Progress:
Planning: 25%
Initial Draft: 0%
Subsequent Drafts/Script Polish: 0%.
Sprite-Work: 0%

Spoiler: Case 4 - The Spirited Turnabout
More details may be added as development progresses.
Progress:
Planning: 35%
Initial Draft: 0%
Subsequent Drafts/Script Polish: 0%
Sprite-Work: 2%

The inevitable part of the thread where I ask for help

Marked so you can conveniently ignore it if you don't care

I think it might be possible for me to get most of this done on my own if I stick with it, but any kind of help I can get would be hugely appreciated. Even one person to help with the game’s art would be amazing and help this project get to release so much faster. CGs and backgrounds aren’t exactly a strong-suit of mine, so even working with a non-sprite artist would be great. It’ll be awhile before case one is completely done, but I’ll also be needing play-testers eventually as well. Overall, the more feedback I can get the better. If there’s anyone who wants to help I’ll probably respond fastest via discord (MasqueradeDemure#9967). I’ve also set up a little discord server for the project, since I think it’ll help with overall motivation: it probably won’t be much but here’s the link if there’s any interest.

Thanks for reading through the whole thread! I've been really nervous about putting this out there for a while now so I hope I presented it half-decently. :nick-sweat:

Last edited by MasqueradeDemure on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Apollo Justice:Ace Attorney-Appeal to Truth (Playable DeTopic%20Title

איך טאָן ניט וויסן ענימאָר

Just finished the demo, good stuff! Can't really comment too much on things like case logic, pacing, etc. considering it's only a demo with one testimony, but I can say that the returning characters seem to be written consistently with the main series, and the sprites look pretty nice. Overall, I thought it was a good start, and hope you stick with this, an AA fangame that's actually alive in 2020 would warm my heart.

The intro should be automatic, as it always was in the games. That's how I feel, at least. With the EPISODE 1: TURNABOUT DAWN in the down-right corner of bottom screen. Also, blips are often muted in intros.
I noticed a few errors in the GUI; evidence names are misaligned, you should check your court_record_vars file.
Considering this is an AU, maybe a little introduction from Apollo to the players would help? He may already be an established character to much of the fanbase, but seeing as this is a whole new universe, the players might need some little background. As if it's truly a new beginning.
It's really hard to tell anything about the story itself, as it is just a demo and lot of questions will just have to wait for their answers (how did the killer hide the body unnoticed, how did they remove the blood, etc.), I can only assume you've got them prepared.

Darth Wiader wrote:
The intro should be automatic, as it always was in the games. That's how I feel, at least. With the EPISODE 1: TURNABOUT DAWN in the down-right corner of bottom screen. Also, blips are often muted in intros.
I noticed a few errors in the GUI; evidence names are misaligned, you should check your court_record_vars file.
Considering this is an AU, maybe a little introduction from Apollo to the players would help? He may already be an established character to much of the fanbase, but seeing as this is a whole new universe, the players might need some little background. As if it's truly a new beginning.
It's really hard to tell anything about the story itself, as it is just a demo and lot of questions will just have to wait for their answers (how did the killer hide the body unnoticed, how did they remove the blood, etc.), I can only assume you've got them prepared.

Thanks for the feedback!
You’re right about the intro, I probably should’ve cross-referenced it with the official game’s a few more times. I’ll make sure to get to fixing the GUI too, not sure exactly what caused that: I’ll look into it. As for the introduction bit, I’m not sure how much background I want to give away just yet. I think I want to reveal details about this AU gradually throughout, but I’m pretty sure this first case is just going to create more questions than answers- so maybe a bit more is a good idea? I’ll see if I can use the next round of play-testing to figure out if I’ve struck the right balance or not for this first bit of the game.

Coding for Case 1 of Appeal to Truth has been completed and I'm now looking for some play-testers!
Feel free to reach out to me if you're interested.
Re: Apollo Justice:Ace Attorney-Appeal to Truth (Case 1!)Topic%20Title

Case 1 is complete~!
The download links have been added to the main post, and they should allow you to download the entirety of Case 1. Let me know if there's any problems. Hopefully it's good.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games