Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 4 of 42[ 1674 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Re: The PyWright Casemaker Thread - 9.3Topic%20Title

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

One question, when using the Updater.exe file to udpate to 9.3, do I have to unzip the files or leave it in the PyWright folder?

If you see update.zip in the folder after finishing the update, you will need to unzip it.
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

OK! But is it OK to replace the files with the same name? Because I tried and it crashed.

OFF-TOPIC EDIT: YAY! I'M DECISIVE WITNESS!

Yes you should replace the files with the same name. Delete update.zip after extracting. If "it" is still crashing, please let me know which exe you are referring to as "it" and post the appropraite logfile as well.

Congratz on your prolific posting!

Hehe, sorry :P

Nope, "it"'s working perfectly. And I mean "it"=PyWright.

I am the ace prosecutor

DoubleA5 wrote:
I downloaded this and it's not working...the program isn't even opening...I got everything I needed (Python 2.5, Pygame, and PIL) but it's still not opening even when I double click on it several times it doesn't open..any of u know why? I want to use this so badly but I can't grrrr :chinami: well plz help
I downloaded this and it's not working...the program isn't even opening...I got everything I needed (Python 2.5, Pygame, and PIL) but it's still not opening even when I double click on it several times it doesn't open..any of u know why? I want to use this so badly but I can't grrrr :chinami: well plz help

Hmm. Are you on windows? You should be using the exe version in that case, and shouldn't need python or anything else to run it. Since you already downloaded it, the source version is OK, but in windows it won't print or log the errors, which is going to make it hard to figure out what's going on. Anyway, tell me which platform you are on, which version you downloaded (src or exe), and what file you are double clicking.[/quote]

I'm on windows...I really don't know which one I downloaded but I'll try again and I'm double clicking on the file called "PyWright" also I've tryed both of them but still not working

Just to be sure, this is the link to the windows version: "http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/PyWright_beta9.zip"

Is there a file called "PyWright.exe.log" or something to that effect? If so could you open it in notepad and copy the contents in here? I'm not sure what's going on, you're the first to have trouble running it. (That I know of anyway)

I am the ace prosecutor

ok then....it says

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "PyWright.py", line 4, in <module>
File "core\libengine.py", line 737, in run
make_screen()
File "core\libengine.py", line 690, in make_screen
SCREEN=pygame.real_screen = pygame.display.set_mode([assets.swidth,assets.sheight],pygame.HWSURFACE|pygame.DOUBLEBUF)
pygame.error: No available video device
File "<install zipextimporter>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named zipextimporter
File "PyWright.py", line 3, in <module>
File "core\libengine.py", line 3, in <module>
import pickle
ImportError: No module named pickle
make_screen()
SCREEN=pygame.real_screen = pygame.display.set_mode([assets.swidth,assets.sheight],pygame.HWSURFACE|pygame.DOUBLEBUF)
make_screen()
make_screen()
make_screen()

uuugh why doesn't it work? :beef:

I have uploaded a 9.4 update with some very minor fixes. It should fix your problem DoubleA. Update with updater (click on "update pywright", 9.4, update, close the updater. If you see an updater.zip, extract it to the current directory and overwrite files. If you don't see this file, than it should already be updated), or download the whole beta9.4 from here: http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/PyWright_beta9.zip

Let me know if the new version works DoubleA.

I am the ace prosecutor

it says I have no available video device...what video device would that be? :godot:

Try this version DoubleA5: http://pywright.dawnsoft.org/DAPyWright_beta9.zip

Quote:
it says I have no available video device...what video device would that be?

Well, it's not liking your operating system, graphics driver, graphics card, or direct x version. Knowing what these things are may help me, if this next build doesn't fix it.

I put in a line of code to force a specific graphics driver. Both directx and windows graphics drivers work for me, but it may be that on your system it is choosing the wrong one.

Other things to try include updating your directx version, or updating your graphics drivers. Beyond that, I'm a bit clueless.

I am the ace prosecutor

ok I'll try that and I'll let u know what happens...hope it works

Spoiler: off topic
YAY APOLLO :odoroki:

I am the ace prosecutor

WOOHOO IT WORKS BOOYAH :will: :will: :will: :will: :will: well now to make my own case =P :godot:

Very glad to hear it. I'll be sure to put the fix in the next version, although altered so it doesn't potentially break pywright for others :)

I am the ace prosecutor

sorry to bother u again...but do u happen to have a tutorial for Pywright....if u don't then can u make one...cause I don't get it at all XD I'm stupid and I'm proud :godot:

Two more games coming up soon

There's a file named "doc", and it serves as a tutorial of sorts.

Another thing you can do is download test games (updater --> games) then look at the script in the "games" folder.
That way you can see a concrete example of how it's done.
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Last edited by Ping' on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think you mean "download" test games :)

Yeah, pywright is definitely lacking a tutorial. I might be able to make one for the next release, it depends on how long it takes me to get the 3d to work. The test games basically show what's possible, but aren't really well organized or constructed for learning. But it's somewhere to start. And doc.txt explains everything, but it's more of a reference than a learning tool as well.

I am the ace prosecutor

ok 3 things...

1. where are the demo cases? (or test cases or w/e)

2. if u really want ur casemaker to become a HIT then ur gonna have to make a tutorial to come along with it for those people who aren't familiar to encoding scripts (or w/e they're called)

3. how do u make the cases in the game ^^; I tried to go by what the doc.exe said but it didn't work so I thought u can help me

Spoiler: once again off topic
I'm stupid and I'm proud :godot:

1. If you run "updater" and then click on "download games" in the upper left, you should see some stuff pop in down below. Select everything there and click the "download" button on the bottom. All of the games will then be downloaded to the "games" folder, where you can look at their source code.

2. I don't really care if this casemaker is a hit or not. I had fun making it, and it's cool if others can find a use out of it too. I do agree that it needs a tutorial, but if I had made a tutorial at the begining, the tutorial would be vastly outdated by this point, because the engine changes so much. When it's out of beta there will be a tutorial, unless someone else can help me write one now, or if I have some extra time in between bug fixes to work on one. Also, hopefully the editor evolves to a point where you can use it without knowing the scripting or having to look at the doc.

3. You'll have to be more specific. I don't know what you tried or what went wrong.

Here's a quick help to get started:

Run updater, click on "Download Characters" and choose somebody (maybe maya), click download
Click on download backgrounds, choose pw1 (backgrounds from the first game), click download

Make a new folder in games called "doubleA attorney". (This is your game, a collection of cases)
Make a new folder in "games/doubleA attorney" called "The first case" (This is where all files for the first case in your game will go)
Make a new file in "games/doubleA attorney/The first case" called "intro.txt" (This is the first script pywright will run when you start the case)

In intro.txt write this:
Code:
bg pw1/backyard
char maya
"Hello, this is double A's test case"
"Bye now."

and save it.

Now, run pywright, click on "doubleA attorney", and click "new game" when it shows the menu screen with "The first case" selected. You should see maya's greeting with the backyard background.

Hopefully this can help get you started. If not, wait for working editor and/or tutorial.

Thanks!

Now with Glasses!

I could help you write the tutorial, saluk though I think the document explains it quite well. (Regardless of how badly written you think it is, saluk)
I'm probably going to make a game in it soon, when I stop making hacks. :yogi:
Back, check out LOZ AA.

Ahaha... I could use some help getting PyWright up and running on my Mac. I'm a total newbie with scripting languages, so I'm not sure what I need Python-wise or where to put it.

I'm usually alright at figuring these things out on my own, but I'm failing this time.

Not having a mac, pywright only works on a mac in theory (since everything I use supposedly is on mac). So you get to find out if it works in reality :)

You will need python, pygame, and PIL. Get python first. Going off of this site: http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/index.html

it seems like this is the best place to get it all, except they all say python2.4, where I use 2.5. I don't think I used any code that requires python2.5 though, so it might work. So try installing those three packages in that order:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ ... -10-18.dmg
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ ... sx10.4.zip
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py24-fat/ ... sx10.4.dmg

Let me know if it runs on that system, if it gives you any errors, let me know what they are. I'll do my best to get it working, but it's hard because I don't have a mac to test on. When I go back to school in a month, they have macs there, and I'll have a better chance to test it.

I am the ace prosecutor

well...there is one more problem (sorry if I'm annoying with all these problems I just have no clue and it has something to do what u said before) my updater isn't working...it says that there is no file called os but when I look through the folder there clearly is a file called os...any reason for this?

Spoiler: off topic (and I just love saying this)
I'm stupid and I'm proud :godot:

That's gotten me farther than before!

But when I run PyWright.py through Launchpad, it gives an error saying Pygame needs PyObjC version 1.2 or higher. From my earlier fumbling around, I believe I have PyObjC version 1.3... but I may have installed it incorrectly, as I had no idea what I was doing.

I could post the exact error message sometime tomorrow, when I'm back on my laptop. (Getting ready to go back to college, where the Mac is all I have. It works so much better than the family PC, anyway).

Miss Prince wrote:
That's gotten me farther than before!

But when I run PyWright.py through Launchpad, it gives an error saying Pygame needs PyObjC version 1.2 or higher. From my earlier fumbling around, I believe I have PyObjC version 1.3... but I may have installed it incorrectly, as I had no idea what I was doing.

I could post the exact error message sometime tomorrow, when I'm back on my laptop. (Getting ready to go back to college, where the Mac is all I have. It works so much better than the family PC, anyway).

Did you install pyobjc from that pythonmac page? I see that it is listed several times, make sure to download the right one for your version of OSX. I think it would be this one: http://pythonmac.org/packages/pyobjc-1. ... sx10.3.zip It's possible that the others may install but not be correct, I'm not sure. There's also the pyobjc listed on the pygame page itself: http://pygame.org/download.shtml

Strangely enough, they have a pygame1.8.1 for py2.4 or py2.5, but the listed pyobjc is only for 2.5. Worth a try I guess.

Finally, I found a link to the python 2.5 section of that pythonmac page: http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/. It would of course mean going through the whole process again, but they have python2.5, pil for py2.5, pyobjc for py2.5, and then pygame for 2.5 could be gotten from the pygame.org site.

What a confusing mess :/

Hopefully something works. I know there is a move away from objc altogether, but it's not finished yet, so we are stuck with this for now.

DoubleA5 wrote:
well...there is one more problem (sorry if I'm annoying with all these problems I just have no clue and it has something to do what u said before) my updater isn't working...it says that there is no file called os but when I look through the folder there clearly is a file called os...any reason for this?

I don't know what's going on here for sure. Could you post me the exact error message instead of an approximation? There should not be a file called "os". Also, if you extracted library.zip, there is no need to do so, and it might cause problems at that. I suspect you may have done this. Probably my fault, what with the "update.zip" thing. update.zip - extract to pywright folder, overwrite files, delete it. library.zip - don't touch.

Ah, it's working now! I purged MacPython 2.4 from my system and reinstalled everything for 2.5, and everything seems to be in order. The game player works, the updater works... looks good.

One thing though, the folders "games", "music", and "art/port" didn't exist, so I had to create them in order to launch the game player or download music or character art. It might be helpful to either put these blank folders in the source code download or specifically mention in the documentation that the user will need to create them.

Won't have time to fiddle with it much for a couple of days, but I'm looking forward to trying it out!

I am the ace prosecutor

Quote:
I don't know what's going on here for sure. Could you post me the exact error message instead of an approximation? There should not be a file called "os". Also, if you extracted library.zip, there is no need to do so, and it might cause problems at that. I suspect you may have done this. Probably my fault, what with the "update.zip" thing. update.zip - extract to pywright folder, overwrite files, delete it. library.zip - don't touch.

so u want me to do nothing to library.rar? well I'll try that...if it doesn't work I'll do give u the error message :godot:

DoubleA5 wrote:
so u want me to do nothing to library.rar? well I'll try that...if it doesn't work I'll do give u the error message

Thanks DoubleA. Yeah, I'll wait for the error if it still fails :) You're not stupid, you probably saw library.zip and thought, "hmm, it's a zip file, maybe it should be extracted". It could happen to anybody. And there still might be something else going on too. Try with a fresh install too if it still doesn't work.

Miss Prince wrote:
Ah, it's working now! I purged MacPython 2.4 from my system and reinstalled everything for 2.5, and everything seems to be in order. The game player works, the updater works... looks good.

One thing though, the folders "games", "music", and "art/port" didn't exist, so I had to create them in order to launch the game player or download music or character art. It might be helpful to either put these blank folders in the source code download or specifically mention in the documentation that the user will need to create them.

Won't have time to fiddle with it much for a couple of days, but I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Awesome! Glad to know it runs on mac (and which mac links to give out also). As far as I know, the missing folders do exist in the zip file (for both exe and source releases). Something with how you extracted it didn't create the folders I think. Your unzip may not extract empty folders for some reason. I can make the programs create the folders if they are missing to alleviate the problem for future downloaders though. Thanks for the heads up.

Current status:
I've done a few things with the editor, and opengl display is at about 80% with only scaling and a few effects missing. Also, BigFish is working on improving the text writing some more. He has access to the source, so he should be a more integral part of the team now. I don't have anything worth putting out an update for at this time, so I think there will be no updates till beta 10. I'm hoping to finish that up this weekend if possible, since warhammer open beta and a game programming contest start next week, so I'll have even less time to work on this for a bit. PyWright is getting pretty close to my original vision for it, once it generally runs 100% on all systems, has few bugs, is easy enough to use, and emulates enough features, I'm going to step back from it a bit and let the community take over. I'll still stay on to do tweaks or a feature here and there, but once we leave the beta period expect releases to be measured in months rather than weeks (or days in some cases lol).

I don't believe in keeping something in beta forever, heh. But it will stay beta until it's ready. While close, it's still got a ways to go. Although if it doesn't reach 1.0 this year, I'll eat a shoe :)

I am the ace prosecutor

everything works perfectly now thanks...I'm still stupid and I'm proud :godot:

I have a problem with my 16th piece of evidence (out of a list of 27).
First, I created it (in "evidence"):
Code:
set phone_name Phone
set phone_pic apollophone
set phone_desc My cell phone. Contact list: Phoenix, Thalassa, Trucy.

then, I added it (in "scene15rhea.talk"):
Code:
addev phone

But when I try to check the Court Record, I get an error message. Here's the log:
Code:
  File "core\libengine.py", line 934, in run
    o.k_tab()
  File "core\core.py", line 1061, in k_tab
    self.recordb.click_down_over([0,0])
  File "core\core.py", line 949, in click_down_over
    assets.addevmenu()
  File "core\libengine.py", line 31, in addevmenu
    addob(evidence_menu(assets.items))
  File "core\core.py", line 1765, in __init__
    self.layout()
  File "core\core.py", line 1779, in layout
    icon = evidence(i)
  File "core\core.py", line 811, in __init__
    self.load("ev/"+artname)
  File "core\core.py", line 592, in load
    self.base = assets.open_art(name,key)
  File "core\core.py", line 260, in open_art
    return self._open_art_(name+".gif",key)
  File "core\core.py", line 230, in _open_art_
    img = load_gif_anim(pre+name,self.meta.framecompress)
  File "core\core.py", line 36, in load_gif_anim
    palette[pil_image.info["transparency"]] = [255,0,255]
KeyError: 'transparency'

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?
Thank you very much.

EDIT: Fixed, which makes this post useless (sorry). The evidence was saved as a .gif instead of a .png.

How does evidence as a gif make a crash OK? That post is important! Can you post the gif so I can test it?

Luke: Layton's #1 Apprentice

Check your code - it looks from the crash dump like an array error... but you probably already knew that. :P
Web developer by night, school student by day. That's how I roll.

Quote:
How does evidence as a gif make a crash OK? That post is important! Can you post the gif so I can test it?

> Which is why I didn't delete the post (though the problem is now fixed).
As for the gif, it can be found here: http://gyakutenwiki.net/images/3/3c/Apollophone.gif :)

I'm having a problem with it. I'm running Windows and it won't work when I try to open the exe's.
Code:
  File "PyWright.py", line 6, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "core.pyc", line 6, in <module>
pygame.error: DirectSoundCreate: Unknown DirectSound error: 0x88890008

I'm guessing its some sound problem since my sound driver on my computer is broken and I have no idea to fix it.

ξdgεε wrote:
I'm having a problem with it. I'm running Windows and it won't work when I try to open the exe's.
Code:
  File "PyWright.py", line 6, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "core.pyc", line 6, in <module>
pygame.error: DirectSoundCreate: Unknown DirectSound error: 0x88890008

I'm guessing its some sound problem since my sound driver on my computer is broken and I have no idea to fix it.

Yeah, it will fail if you don't have working sound. I'll fix this in beta 10 which should be out this weekend or early next week. Along with gif non-transparency crash :) I'm pretty sure my gif loader fails if the gif doesn't have transparency, which is weird but true. If there are any other weird bugs or quirks that bug you about PyWright, now is a good time ;)

:godot:

Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to using it next week.

*Insert "Hi I'm new" here*

-This thing REALLY needs a "pause until animation end" command.
-How do you make evidence appear on the right side? Or can you? Changing x did nothing.
-There is a bug: gifs do not work for evidence.
-Why are AJ names and most objections in japanese?
-When using the full court, you have to either make one character disappear at the start of the scroll, or pause the scroll in the middle while the character loads. That needs fixing somehow, but I have no idea how.
-You can't switch to profiles in the Court Records
-Current control scheme is bad in my opinion, I reccomend that it's similar to the actual game: A=L S=X D=R Z-B C=A (and maybe X=switch half when in multi-screen investigation), and/or an option to change it
-What is opengl? It crashed it for me...

The awesomest part about this case maker is it's compatability. (It's the only one that works with my old comp, if slowly)

Thanks MrCheese. I'll try and take on most of those in the next release.

- pause until animation end
It basically does do this, but it's kind of sporadic. Some things pause by default, other things don't, you can sort of set priorities of objects but it's not laid out well, so yeah this is bad. I'll try to make it more unified and documented. If you could post a script that you thought should work one way and tell me how you want it to work, it would help. As a kludge, if you use the pause command, you can delay for how long an animation should last. That is if it is working as intended.

- Evidence on the right side? Who would want to do that? Ok, this is basically because I made each kind of thing seperate, so any changes I add (like setting x value) I have to remember to apply that change to everything. No excuse for this really, I'll try to unify things more.

- gifs + evidence: I'm pretty sure they work, it's more that non-transparent gifs refuse to load. But I haven't tested this yet.

- Court and scrolling: aha, you found out that pywright only supports one character at a time. I have been meaning to solve this for a while actually. Even though in standard phoenix, they don't have multiple characters at once, I have thought about making this possible. Which would fix this bug as well.

- profiles in court records: you can switch to it, if you have any profiles in evidence. Otherwise it won't let you. Unless there is a bug you found...

- I will add configurable controls

- Opengl is not implemented yet. If you are using the exe, there is not even a dependancy included for it yet. Beta 10 will include this dependancy. Opengl mode will render the game with 3d hardware instead of 2d graphics calls, which will make the rendering smoother on hardware that supports it (which is nearly any video card made in the last 10 years). It will also let you scale the screen to various resolutions without a framerate hit, and primarily allow 3d graphics as well. I will be able to support 3d effects like flips etc, and the 3d evidence. For beta 10, I might not support all the bells and whistles yet, the main thing is to get opengl mode functional so it can be tested.

And welcome to pywright!

Welcome to CR, MrCheeze ! =)
Nice to see another PyWright user around here.

saluk: I just wanted to say...
Today I'm going to start trial day 1 for my fancase, and it'll be my first time scripting a trial instead of an investigation, so be prepared for many, many questions ^^

- pause until animation end
The thing is, there's no way to know how long an animation lasts, and it probably varies by computer. I suggest just being able to put pause or wait in the char or portrait line, and having it automatically do the rest.

- Evidence on the right side:
The original AA graphics are organized so that you can put evidence on the right to not cover stuff on the left.

- gifs + evidence:
Yeah, it could be that glitch too.

- Court and scrolling:
Another possibility is preloading character graphics.

- profiles in court records:
It's confusing having a button that you can't use, either get rid of it when there's nothing there or better yet just let you go there even when there's nothing.

- I will add configurable controls:
Yay!

- Opengl:
Would it change how fast the game goes at all?

Forgot to mention, I can't get portrait to work at all, the log file says I need more than 1 value to unpack.

Also there is no evidence downloads, causing some evidence graphics needed for "test" to not be found. I doubt it's necessary, but there's no sfx downloads either.

I'm sure you already know about the music's gigantic size, but adding an alternate midi version (or even make it the default music format) would help a lot. Of course you'd need to actually add midi support too.

Skipping text with enter/single click should just skip to the end of the box. Skipping with by holding space/mouse down should skip to the end then to the next box, so you see each box for a split second.

AJ prosecutors/DAs appear at the wrong spot.

What is 4judge?

And thanks for the welcome guys!
Page 4 of 42 [ 1674 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games