Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 1 of 2[ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Did anyone else find the cameos to be... *SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

Just a fellow PW fan!

...A bit overdone?

I mean, I really did enjoy the game, however I was hoping for a lot of new characters, rather than a lot of cameos. As well I won't deny that there were plenty of new, fantastic characters (Badd, Yew, and Paleano - probably my three favourites of the whole game and possibly the whole series), but I just found that Masque de Masque, Steel Samurai, Pink Princess, Jammin' Ninja (yes, I know they weren't the same people, but the point comes across the same), Lotta Heart, Manella, Violet, etc were all unnecessary cameos, and I was really hoping this would be EDGEWORTH's story, not Phoenix's.

As well, I didn't mind THAT much that Old Bag was in one case... but two?? Was there really any point in including her in two cases, other than the fact she's an Edgeworth fanboy? I had enough of her after her first cameo, let alone her... now what...5th? Sorry to all the Oldbag lovers, but I mean enough is enough...

The cameos that actually fit in to Edgeworth's and Gumshoe's past (Franziska, Manfred, Maggey, Meekins, etc) were, in my opinion, good fits.

What do you guys think of the cameos? I know a lot felt they were perfect, and if anything needed more cameos. However, I love seeing new artworks, personalities and storylines including new characters.

(Sorry if this comes off as a rant. The only real rant for me was Oldbag)
Re: Did anyone else find the cameos to be... *SPOILERS*Topic%20Title

yeah so I left.

Yes, well, it is Edgeworth's game, but is also:

1) A spin-off of Phoenix Wright.
2) A fan service game.

Given these two points, I think the cameos were relevant and added heaps and heaps of enjoyment to the game. I personally enjoyed every single one of the cameos.

Steel Samourai's Fan

Kav wrote:

As well, I didn't mind THAT much that Old Bag was in one case... but two?? Was there really any point in including her in two cases, other than the fact she's an Edgeworth fanboy?

Fist... Isn't Oldbag's supposed to be a fangirl? I don't think she's a fanboy... Actually, I think the cameos were funny, but I'm still angry that they used :larry: as the Steel Samurai instead of :will: I miss :will: he's my favorite character...
Godot and his coffee cup, an eternal love!

This did feel like a fanservice game instead of a true entry into the Ace Attorney series at first, but the last two cases made up for it. I liked some of the cameos, although there were others that were completely pointless (Sorry, Ema, looking at you.)

yeah so I left.

I thought the

Spoiler: Cameos
Phoenix, Maya, Pearl and Bellboy cameos were pretty good. In fact, they were my favourite. :D

Just a fellow PW fan!

@Furtzy: Yes, that is true. However that doesn't change my thoughts of the game. I would have rather had it with Edgeworth's characters. If they wanted it to revolve around Phoenix, they should have named it AAI: Phoenix Wright.

Quote:
Fist... Isn't Oldbag's supposed to be a fangirl? I don't think she's a fanboy... Actually, I think the cameos were funny, but I'm still angry that they used as the Steel Samurai instead of I miss he's my favorite character...

Haha, my bad... or is it? ;)
And yes, I must agree that I would have much rather had Will Powers as the Steel Samurai, but even more so I'd rather the Steel Samurai didn't get a cameo in the game at all.

Quote:
This did feel like a fanservice game instead of a true entry into the Ace Attorney series at first, but the last two cases made up for it. I liked some of the cameos, although there were others that were completely pointless (Sorry, Ema, looking at you.)

100% agree. The last two cases were by far my favourites (mainly for the characters I mentioned in my first post).
As much as I loved Emma in 1-5, I also agree with your second point.

...Hopefully someday... xD

Personally, I liked the amount of cameos there is.
There's just so many that you just have to keep looking, in hope to find just one more thing again.
Best thing in this is that all the cameos are from all the previeous four games,
so all veterans get every find as funny as 'ell!
Some newcomers propably won't get even the half of those, but man do they love the serie veterans in CP?
It seems so.

So; my point being that I'm more excited and happy bout the big amount of cameos.

EDIT:

@Kav
- Yes I see what you mean also,
but I, once again, want everyone to see that this is just my opinnion.
ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Zinle on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I agree that the cameos were a little overdone. Case 3 felt kind of awkward, especially with the Oldbag and Ema portion of the case being a total red herring. Without them and Meekins filling up the witness roster there might have been room for more original characters, or more time to develop Lauren and Lance a bit more.

Not to mention by the time you get to Case 5, it's so packed that there are only two new characters to suspect. Removes a bit of the mystery! And then the ending takes forever, since you have to let every returning person get a word in.

I hope if they do another GK they'll calm down on the cameos.
ImageImage

Moving on up!

Croik wrote:
I agree that the cameos were a little overdone. Case 3 felt kind of awkward, especially with the Oldbag and Ema portion of the case being a total red herring. Without them and Meekins filling up the witness roster there might have been room for more original characters, or more time to develop Lauren and Lance a bit more.

Not to mention by the time you get to Case 5, it's so packed that there are only two new characters to suspect. Removes a bit of the mystery! And then the ending takes forever, since you have to let every returning person get a word in.

I hope if they do another GK they'll calm down on the cameos.

If they do make another game, I can see them using the new characters as the cameo characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhoda, Lauren, and Paleano made a return. Of course, Lang too, but maybe as last case kind of thing.
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

Just a fellow PW fan!

@Zinle: Yes, I see your point, and it is nice when you spot the occasional cameo. But again, two to three (or more) per case can be a bit much. As well, like Croik said, it ruins the actual mystery in the storylines since we already have our suspects narrowed down from about 10 to 2-3.

@Croik: Absolutely agreed. I remember in Case 4 thinking it would either be Yew or Badd, since they were the only new characters of the case (I think). Likewise with Case 5.

@Lunaria: I'd be ecstatic if all three of them returned, however I doubt Rhoda would return. Wasn't he arrested in the end?

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Rhoda was the flight attendant in case 2. The one that wasn't scantily clad and always falling asleep.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Just a fellow PW fan!

Yes yes, my bad haha.

I had done a quick google search to double check who Rhoda was, and it ended up showing me Jacques. I got confused for a second :yogi: (it's been a few months since I played haha!)

Regardless, I don't think Rhoda will return either :P

The cape is self-fluttering

I didn't mind the cameos too much. But yeah, with people like Ema making an appearance and not playing a bigger part, that felt disappointing and pointless. I was even more disappointed that they wasted a bigger role on Mike Meekins of all people. Polly the parrot would have been a less frustrating choice. (Yeah, I know the damn bird can't pull off a full-sized badger costume, but I'm just saying =P) Of course, I wouldn't mind if they had handled him the way they handled the bellboy (no special large sprite, but the personality is obvious) and eliminated the need to cross-examine him.

Hm. I guess I'm more annoyed with Meekins than I thought. lol
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

(Sp)ace Detective

The bulk of the cameos were just harmless continuity nods, but three comic relief characters (Meekins, Oldbag TWICE, Larry) as semi-important plot players was just a little too much for my taste. And poor Ema :larry:

I really feel GK should be a serious series like the Phoenix arc, not just fanservice game(s).
Read my fic(s)!
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner.

Am I the only one who liked the Oldbag cameos?

I really liked to have Larry and Oldbag at the same time, even if Edgey suffered when he discovered who was the Steel Samurai. Ema cameo was too short and the over 9000! made me Lol.

Idol of Polar Bears

I am absolutely indifferent to the quantity of cameos featured in this game, but I don't consider ones who had a main role (e.g. Manfred, Larry, Judge) as cameos at all and I could go into an essay's worth of argumentative reasoning to support my stance but I doubt anyone would care.

Personally I don't mind the tiny cameos like Sal, Lotta, Phoenix and the Bellboy, where it really doesn't affect the story, but in case 3 I was really feeling the effects of AAI being a fanservice game. Oldbag, Ema and Meekins could've sort of combined to be a new character (okay, maybe not Meekins, but Oldbag and Ema definitely). Even worse, their spotlight was immediately stolen away by Little Thief and they basically ended up contributing nothing to the case. New characters are worth so much more than old ones - as mentioned before, you don't really know much about them so you don't know which way they could turn and they could still end up being the murderer in the end. AAI really felt like it was short on new characters, especially when
Spoiler: Whole game
Shih-na and Calisto turned out to be the same person. It felt like the game was robbing me of an awesome new character :larry:

I liked how the Lotta cameo was done. We got what was needed - the photo - without actually having to talk to her at all. Yippee~

I'd have to agree with some of the previous posters here; the subtle cameos were delightful, as essentially they were just a pleasant continuity nod to the series.

Still, I think cramming so many returning characters into the game was completely unnecessary. The game could easily do without giving an important role in the case to so many joke characters, particularly in case 5, where
Spoiler:
the constant appearances of Oldbag and Larry ruined all the dramatism of the case for me.
The place occupied by all the returning characters could've been filled with new ones; the game brought us some really wonderful new characters and it was a huge pity there was so few of them, especially seeing that
Spoiler: Case 5
with Shih-na's reveal we were basically robbed out of one awesome new character.

Call me Ishmael.

I agree, some of them felt really forced.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Idol of Polar Bears

kaitouX wrote:
I'd have to agree with some of the previous posters here; the subtle cameos were delightful, as essentially they were just a pleasant continuity nod to the series.

Still, I think cramming so many returning characters into the game was completely unnecessary. The game could easily do without giving an important role in the case to so many joke characters, particularly in case 5, where
Spoiler:
the constant appearances of Oldbag and Larry ruined all the dramatism of the case for me.

You're worried about this in a game that OVER dramatizes its own proceedings?

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
kaitouX wrote:

Spoiler:

You're worried about this in a game that OVER dramatizes its own proceedings?

...What can I say? I like dramatism in my lawyer games. :uramidn:

I liked it that there were so many cameos in the game.
I was happy everytime I discovered one. :phoenix:

This was *supposed* to be a fanservice game.
Yes, some of the cameos were a bit forced and pointless but I didn't feel it detracted from the game because that's what it was for, basically. Pointless cameos would be Ema [but I forgave this because her credits slot basically broke the 4th wall lamenting how short and pointless her cameo was] and Meekins. I hate Mike Meekins and consider his very invention pointless.

Cameos like Lotta and Sal Manella I can't see how anyone can complain about them, they were very brief [so wouldn't have even distracted 'new' players'] but very amusing in-jokes.

I really liked Oldbag and Larry's appearances in case 5 [I think it's too major to be a 'cameo'] but neither of those chars irritate me the way they do some people.

Possibly new players would find them distracting but well, they should just play the other games, shouldn't they. This game was more targeted at past players. In this, they went the opposite direction to AJ in catering to them....

Quote:

The place occupied by all the returning characters could've been filled with new ones;

I disagree, they didn't develop the main new chars - Kay and Lang - enough, we didn't need even more new chars. Could have devoted more attention to developing them is a better idea.
Adrian in black wrote:
I was even more disappointed that they wasted a bigger role on Mike Meekins of all people. Polly the parrot would have been a less frustrating choice.

Like by removing that cameo, for example...
LOL parody sig trend. Phoenix/Maya Day is Sept 5!
[ Read my fanfics! =) | Phoenix/Maya 'Evidence' List ]

Just a fellow PW fan!

My point is that if these are supposed to be Edgeworth's investigations, why are they returning characters that were a part of Phoenix Wright's investigations?

I'm not complaining about the cameos themselves - I'm merely pointing out how they used characters that relate to Phoenix much more than they relate to Edgeworth.

I guess I'm just trying to say that they should have downgraded the cameos. Cameos that don't even relate to Edgeworth (Violet, Masque de Masque, etc) should not have shown up in the game, while cameos such as Oldbag, Meekins and Ema should have been merely for background and comical purposes (I would not have minded if Oldbag appeared in most of the cases as a background character, making it seem like she was stalking him, rather than her two rather odd main roles as both an actress and a mascot).

I have to admit, you're right about Lotta though. Her appearance did make sense now that I think about it - she provided us with a photo or two in Case 5, right?

As for Lang and Kay, I have no real opinion of their development as I never quite payed attention to them (which might, in turn, prove your point).

To the above posters, I'd like to thank you for contributing to the discussion. You all make valid points which I believe for the most part I've responded to in this post :)

Kav wrote:
My point is that if these are supposed to be Edgeworth's investigations, why are they returning characters that were a part of Phoenix Wright's investigations?

I'm not complaining about the cameos themselves - I'm merely pointing out how they used characters that relate to Phoenix much more than they relate to Edgeworth.

I guess I'm just trying to say that they should have downgraded the cameos. Cameos that don't even relate to Edgeworth (Violet, Masque de Masque, etc) should not have shown up in the game, while cameos such as Oldbag, Meekins and Ema should have been merely for background and comical purposes (I would not have minded if Oldbag appeared in most of the cases as a background character, making it seem like she was stalking him, rather than her two rather odd main roles as both an actress and a mascot).

I have to admit, you're right about Lotta though. Her appearance did make sense now that I think about it - she provided us with a photo or two in Case 5, right?

As for Lang and Kay, I have no real opinion of their development as I never quite payed attention to them (which might, in turn, prove your point).

To the above posters, I'd like to thank you for contributing to the discussion. You all make valid points which I believe for the most part I've responded to in this post :)

I don't think it's so strange Edgeworth has run into people that one would think relate more to Phoenix. They live in the same town, so they're bound to run into some of the same people. Now, if someone in the Phoenix arc took up a huge part of the case without really contributing much to the story... that's another thing. But it's not like Mask*DeMasque II or Viola Cadaverini (who is Violet?) had very big roles. Viola was mentioned in a Tender Lender letter and Mask*DeMasque II only got to appear after he died.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Adrian in black wrote:
Mask*DeMasque II only got to appear after he died.

I prefer to call him Fat*DeMasque
Billie Jean is not my lover.

Icarus wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

Well, I was going for Poser*DeMasque but realized it was too close to Maya's Fake*DeMasque.

But Fat*DeMasque works as well.

...NAILED IT

Power of Flower

No, I wanted more.

Idol of Polar Bears

icer wrote:

You sure about that? I was under the impression that it was a spin-off.

Just a fellow PW fan!

Icarus wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

I have to admit, I was pretty happy to find it was just some ugly fat man. Would have cried if it was :yuusaku:

machinimator

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
icer wrote:

I'd be perfectly fine with anything that makes the game more interesting for newer players...

I wouldn't have minded as much the whole Larry/Oldbag appearances in Case 5 if they were at the least, FUNNY and only intrusive where it mattered. Every time Larry butted in, it was only as "The Klutz" without any good setup for jokes, especially since the devious mastermind is sitting in front of you, and jokes tend to fall flat at that time. Heck, even in 1-4 his showing up was incredibly dramatic and didn't need to be riddled with "C'mon man, at least give me a chance to say something! How can you ignore your own childhood friend blah blah blah"

Characters I'm getting a little tired of overall: Larry, Oldbag, Francizka, and Missile (like Ema, wouldn't have minded if he actually turned up more than ONE useful clue). Lotta thankfully didn't count because her name wasn't said.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

No avatar yet...soon ;3

Ema seemed forced. She just did something that one random forensic could have done.
And I'm REALLY tired of Oldbag now. I mean, COME ON! How could they put her as the Pink Princess?! I've never liked her and her appearance in AAI didn't exactly made me appreciate her even more.
Too lazy to make an sig or avatar. Deal with it for a while.

Idol of Polar Bears

Katana wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
icer wrote:

I'd be perfectly fine with anything that makes the game more interesting for newer players...

I wouldn't have minded as much the whole Larry/Oldbag appearances in Case 5 if they were at the least, FUNNY and only intrusive where it mattered. Every time Larry butted in, it was only as "The Klutz" without any good setup for jokes, especially since the devious mastermind is sitting in front of you, and jokes tend to fall flat at that time.

I still don't understand why people are dissatisfied with the lack of "/wrists drama" during the final case, especially for a game that prides itself on comical and over-the-top legal confrontations. For Ace Attorney standards, it's actually a really awesome case and every event that occurs during the last act is infallibly epic and correct.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

AceAddicted wrote:
I mean, COME ON! How could they put her as the Pink Princess?! I've never liked her and her appearance in AAI didn't exactly made me appreciate her even more.

Just take out AAI and put in Phoenix Drive and it would apply to that as well.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:
I still don't understand why people are dissatisfied with the lack of "/wrists drama" during the final case, especially for a game that prides itself on comical and over-the-top legal confrontations. For Ace Attorney standards, it's actually a really awesome case and every event that occurs during the last act is infallibly epic and correct.

I don't think the problem is that Larry and Oldbag prevented the end of case 5 from being dramatic and/or serious. It was the fact that because there were so many "main" characters involved at that point that the game felt it had to give each and every one of them a chance to make an important presentation or drop a huge hint that helped solve the case. 7 "HOLD IT"s in a row was exhausting--the last leg of the case took forever! For me at least, it stopped being epic and fun, it just dragged.
ImageImage

Croik wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

I don't think the problem is that Larry and Oldbag prevented the end of case 5 from being dramatic and/or serious. It was the fact that because there were so many "main" characters involved at that point that the game felt it had to give each and every one of them a chance to make an important presentation or drop a huge hint that helped solve the case. 7 "HOLD IT"s in a row was exhausting--the last leg of the case took forever! For me at least, it stopped being epic and fun, it just dragged.

Yeah I agree. The last act did drag a bit... I mean the big bad of AAI had to be the hardest person to catch in the entire franchise. Even so the case still felt epic, but did get a little old considering Edgey kept saying "Is this the end?"

Then again wouldn't you say it dragging out like that is what made bringing down the big bad so satisfying?

Tomoshibi Amatsu wrote:
Croik wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

Yeah I agree. The last act did drag a bit... I mean the big bad of AAI had to be the hardest person to catch in the entire franchise. Even so the case still felt epic, but did get a little old considering Edgey kept saying "Is this the end?"

Then again wouldn't you say it dragging out like that is what made bringing down the big bad so satisfying?

Ehhh... there's only so much one can take before the reward is spoiled. If the delays had been more relevant to the story, instead of ten instances of "Hey, what else can we get Oldbag to say to get Alba to miss his plane again?" it might have been more satisfying. Don't get me wrong, taking Alba down was all right... it just wasn't... you know, the same feeling you got taking down
Spoiler: 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, 3-5
von Karma, Gant, Engarde, Dahlia
and
Spoiler: 4-1/4-4
Kristoph.

...NAILED IT

Surf's Up!

Furtzy wrote:
I thought the

Spoiler: Cameos
Phoenix, Maya, Pearl and Bellboy cameos were pretty good. In fact, they were my favourite. :D

I must have missed those...

The only one cameo I found pointless was Ema to be honest. She's there for about 30 seconds or something, and doesn't contribute much to the case overall.

As for best cameo, I have to admit Sal's, if only for the "Over 9000" reference.

machinimator

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

I happily agree with having lots of humor in Ace Attorney cases, but for moments like the finale, or big reveals, you kind of have to cut it to zero and live off the drama.

Spoiler: Everything's a spoiler! =(
We do have the unfortunate situation that the final argument was, in fact, very long. There's a lot to prove and it's difficult to keep full tension over everything. What it may have benefitted from is one split in the action midway to let you wander around, run into Larry/Oldbag, have them make some buttmoney-ish jokes as they reveal to you utterly pointless information about some "full-moon" samurai dog, run into Alba as he's leaving, and try to use what you pieced together on him. Weirdest thing is, they came close to that with that short interlude to find the knife in the bouquet, but it would have made so much more sense to talk to Larry and Oldbag briefly as well. That way you aren't playing "Oh, Edgey-Poooo!" with the Big Bad standing right next to you. It feels as dumb as Navi making dumb jokes to Link as Ganon towers over them. It doesn't matter how funny they are if no one's in a laughing mood.

I feel like we've got a bit off-topic. At the very least, I will say that it's good AAI introduced two excellent new characters without leading to their arrest/murder: Kay and Shi-Long Lang. Who knows, maybe we'll see more of Ambassador Palaeno.

I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Tomoshibi Amatsu wrote:

Not for me. Maybe if he'd had more character himself it would have been...but we didn't know anything about him other than the fact that he was an asshole. He wasn't around in the case long enough. I almost wish you would have had a chance to confront him earlier, the first time you investigated the Allebhast office, because for a long time in the case I forgot he even existed. But they had to give Larry and Oldbag their more than fair share...!
ImageImage
Page 1 of 2 [ 45 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby