Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby

Page 1 of 1[ 19 posts ]

The Edgeworth manga is pretty badTopic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I enjoyed the Phoenix Wright manga so when I heard the Edgeworth manga was coming out, I was excited.
I just finished the final volume. It was wan't that great.
Half of the issues are the stories themselves and half are the flawed translation.
The stories are often kind of kind of uninteresting and they usually revolve around Gumshoe screwing something up before getting to the actual crime. It actually flows better because an investigation story works better in comic form than a courtroom story, but the cases are often even less PW than the manga was. Still, if it wasn't for the translation issues it would still be fun enough and an ok addition to the PW lore.
The translation here is pretty bad. I don't know what they were thinking. In the PW manga, they went the extra mile to make it as much like the games. They localized the country and city (as in it took place in LA), people used U.S. Dollars and characters behaved very similarly to their game counterparts.
In the Investigations Manga, they haven't localized any of the cultural stuff, so it's taking place in Japan and people are buying things with yen. And characters like Ema aren't sounding like the characters we know from the games, I assume because the translation is not using the games as a reference. I understand that most manga translations aim to be as faithful to the source material as possible, but since we have a situation here where there are games and other manga that places it in America it can be a little annoying.
The most ridiculous thing, though, is regarding a reoccurring character in both Mangas. There is a character in the manga who is interested in paranormal activity and is in a number of cases. in the PW manga, her name was Russi Clover. She makes an appearance in the Edgeworth manga again, and they mention her previous cases with nick many many times, yet they've re-translated her name as Candy Holly. Now someone having a different name is not that big of a deal, but considering the same company localized the PW manga it really shows that whoever translated the Edgeworth one didn't look over any of the previous work. He also hasn't seemed to do a lot of research into the actual games themselves, as Edgeworth will switch from his formal, normal self to saying things like "Can the chatter".
Overall, there are two types of issues in the manga which wouldn't be that big of a deal alone, but together it makes it not really feel like the AA we know. I don't know why they didn't get the two people who translated the PW manga to do this one. They seemed to know their stuff.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: The Edgeworth manga is pretty badTopic%20Title

The King of All

Well that sounds disappointing, but I'm glad I read this before I got them.

Here's hope for GS4 and GS5 manga in the future!
The king of all, Sir Duke
Re: The Edgeworth manga is kinda badTopic%20Title

Deadpool 9 wrote:

If you're really craving some Ace Attorney it's still worth it because you can get the complete run for like 20 bucks. The GS manga was written long after GS3 came out but the GK manga was released in between GK1 and GK2 so I'm thinking it might have been a little rushed. Also they seemed to not be able to incorporate Nick, Maya, Kay, or any other characters other than Ema, Edgeworth, and Gumshoe. But if the translation issues weren't there then I think I would have liked the stories a little more.

I'd love to see some GS4/GS5 Apollo manga at some point, now that phoenix is the main character again. it would open it up a bit and allow the writers to tell a story based on their own ideas rather than a story with all these constraints about who can appear, what can happen, etc.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Fuuuuuuuudge! - Phoenix Wright

I read the first story on a youtube video, it really wasn't that good. It was like a boring police procedural or some generic mystery tales for kids. Also I think the blood looked kinda gross.

I don't really remember anything about the translation.

Maybe there is a fan translation that fixes it a little.

Lola-landa wrote:
I read the first story on a youtube video, it really wasn't that good. It was like a boring police procedural or some generic mystery tales for kids. Also I think the blood looked kinda gross.

I don't really remember anything about the translation.

Maybe there is a fan translation that fixes it a little.

Yeah that's the other thing. The violence in the PW manga was way worse than the games but the Edgeworth manga is 10 times worse than that. As someone who is very sensitive to violence it was a little disturbing.

Fuuuuuuuudge! - Phoenix Wright

ADA McCoy wrote:
Yeah that's the other thing. The violence in the PW manga was way worse than the games but the Edgeworth manga is 10 times worse than that. As someone who is very sensitive to violence it was a little disturbing.

I know. I like some gore stuff, but it was umpleasant for a manga about Ace Attorney. It was just weird, like that creepy Star Wars manga where everyone looks like 10 year olds and lightsabers cut like katanas.

Lola-landa wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:

I know. I like some gore stuff, but it was umpleasant for a manga about Ace Attorney. It was just weird, like that creepy Star Wars manga where everyone looks like 10 year olds and lightsabers cut like katanas.

I never saw that one. Sounds kind of weird.

But yeah the Ace Attorney games is like PG-13 at worst so I wasn't a fan of the gore.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Lola-landa wrote:

I know right?

I cringed inside when I first saw it.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

A Seeker of Truth

I dunno, I didn't think the manga was all that bad. Granted, the Phoenix Wright one was better, but I felt like it was still a worthwhile read... though I too could have done without the blood :p
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

GentlemanGamer wrote:
I dunno, I didn't think the manga was all that bad. Granted, the Phoenix Wright one was better, but I felt like it was still a worthwhile read... though I too could have done without the blood :p

Don't get me wrong, it's worth reading, especially since we have a GK shortage in America. I'm still curious as to why the translation was so bad, though, considering the translation for the PW manga was excellent.

Deadpool 9 wrote:

Oh yes, that would be awesome. As long as it's made as good as the first PW manga, it would be the next thing I would buy if it was made and translated.

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

Is this manga gore? :udgy: Can someone describe in spoiler the goriest picture appearing in this? (No images please).
I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.

Court Records Copywriting Manager

See...I didn't really find it all that bad... And I have no clue what the "goriest" spot would be...

Oh, and I was OK with the stories, but I HATED the translation issues. Seriously. Her name is Russi Clover! Ema studies in Europe! And for crying out loud, you could at least use a LITTLE effort in making the Japanese culture based case seem a little more American!!! They didn't even do as good of a job explaining the Japanese phrases/translated names in the back as the Phoenix Wright manga!

Still, I still read it because Edgy is my favorite character by FAR. :edgy:

A Seeker of Truth

ADA McCoy wrote:
GentlemanGamer wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it's worth reading, especially since we have a GK shortage in America. I'm still curious as to why the translation was so bad, though, considering the translation for the PW manga was excellent.

Yeah, that I can agree with; the translation was alright, but it could've been MUCH better. :yuusaku: that disreptency with Russi's name bugged me to no end, and the dialogue felt less sharp in general; this manga was published by the same company that did AA, so I don't get why GK wasn't translated as well :sadshoe:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

GentlemanGamer wrote:
ADA McCoy wrote:
GentlemanGamer wrote:

Yeah, that I can agree with; the translation was alright, but it could've been MUCH better. :yuusaku: that disreptency with Russi's name bugged me to no end, and the dialogue felt less sharp in general; this manga was published by the same company that did AA, so I don't get why GK wasn't translated as well :sadshoe:

I just checked my volumes. The Phoenix Wright manga was translated by Alethea and Athena Nibley, while the Edgeworth Manga was translated by Sheldon Drzka. The Nibleys also translated the Del Ray "let's pass off fan manga as official manga" a couple of years ago. Now, that manga was bad but that stemmed from the sources themselves rather than the translations.

It seems like the Nibleys are either fans of AA or did their homework while Drzka did not. I still can't comprehend that the translation team for the Edgeworth manga wouldn't even bother to check the name of Russi Clover, though.

The Chords of Steel

Bump! (Sorry!)

Kinda off-topic, but does anyone have any idea of where can i read the Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth manga online?

Here's the sitch. I live in Mexico so we don't get those over here. I do live in a border town right next to the US, so i went to the Barnes and Noble from El Paso, Tx. and they didn't have them over there..So..hence why i am asking for this.

Please, could someone help me? I Really, really, reaaaaaaaaally want to read them! :larry:
I would appreciate it a lot!!!!!!

The King of All

Was the Del Ray manga worth reading, even if it wasn't official?

As for Charlieboy, you could just order the books online or call up another Barnes & Noble and ask if they have it. I also haven't found any bit of the manga online.
The king of all, Sir Duke

Interested in the Supernatural

Yeah, this was pretty true.
I was pretty confused when they were talking about being in Japan on the last case, but I think they had to keep it because it was vital to the story.
I thought I had gone insane when I first saw that Russi had changed to Candy.
then I realized it was a translation mistake :ini:
Wright :phoenix: worth. :edgey:
That is all.

An Enigma Among Humans

Well I thought that both of them were bad. The GK on is worse, but I was not a fan of the PW one ether. They all felt the same. Phoenix is minding his own business, crime happens, he defends the suspect, he reviews the crime scene, he meets the prosecutor there as they give the "You have no chance" speech, he finds a piece of evidence that he think will turn the case around, he gets into court, half way through he presents the evidence, it is proven to be faulty in one way or another, Phoenix gets depressed because he thinks the case is over, someone says something that gives him an idea, he gets a full page spread of him yelling “OBJECTION!” and he presents his theory and pronounces the real culprit, the real culprit confesses in a sob way, a “Not Guilty” verdict is given, and then Phoenix and gang have an after trial joke. Over all, I was not impressed. But, not to say there were not good moments, it was just predictable after a while. Still kind of enjoyable. My favorite cases in each were the lord of death case in the PW manga, (in which Phoenix spanks Frany’s ass) and the movie star one from Miles.
Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Prosecutor's Lobby