Board index » General » Press Conference

Page 2 of 3[ 84 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: RPG Hero, my own webcomic!Topic%20Title

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Updated with issue #40! This time around, Strife talks has a discussion with someone who might rival Lance in terms of stupidity! Thanks for reading!
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

hey dulla, just found this thread of yours, and since i remember you were a pretty cool guy back in the day i thought i'd give you some constructive criticism

• you should add comic navigation above each page for easier skimming, as well as underneath like you already have
  • the fact that the text in your credit bar isn't aligned evenly is very irksome
  • times new roman is a really lacklustre choice of font for this genre and medium
  • dafont has a decent list of free comic-type fonts you could use for different of situations, something with a variety of weights
  • i might suggest something like komika display for dialogue text and something like arfmoochikncheez (as opposed to (eugh, gross) cooper black) as a sound-effect font
  • it also has a bunch of bitmap fonts that you could consider for game-text/narration/whatever
  • i won't say much about the artwork, except this: keep working on your proportions cuz sometimes they look a bit wonky
  • although you have improved your colouring/shading since comic #1, always keep your light source in mind when shading for each panel
  • uh that's all for now i think

Thank you very much for the criticism! This is something I've been looking for! I'll try to address each of your points.

* As for the navigation at the top, it was my own personal choice, but I'll reconsider since I've heard it mentioned a couple of times, so thank you for that!
* The text in the bar below, ha ha, I'm still trying to figure out the whole website biz, and seeing as I've never done one before and don't really have time to mess with it now, yeah.... I'm sorry it's a little irksome and as soon as I have time to go around and fix it, I will. Same for the navigation if I decide to that as well!
* I'm curious where you're seeing TNR? The site is in Arial, the dialogue is done in Cambria Math. Are you talking about the title of each comic? I've tried messing around with different fonts to find to see what I liked best, but nothing I could find, I really liked at the top. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I can check again, especially since you kindly gave me a link to some new fonts, so I can check those out.
* I'll be honest right now, I think komika display is downright ugly. Again, personal preference. The one you mentioned for sound effect font, however, isn't a bad choice at all. Honestly though, I'm wanting to try to wean out the SF font all together for myself as I "hopefully" get better at drawing sequences and such.
* As for the drawing, I only know all too well how much I suck at proportions. I never once took any drawing classes, and only self taught myself, so still trying to learn all this stuff is tough for me. It's hard not getting any proper references and I'd honestly love the chance to take proper drawing classes to improve on my art. I am trying though and I'm very well aware of where my shortcomings are right now, so thank you!
* Thanks too for seeing that I'm improving, it makes me feel better to hear that from someone else! Glad you mentioned the whole lighting/shading thing too, I challenged myself in making a issue dedicated totally to that, which will be up in a couple of weeks. Hope it came out nice!

Again, thanks a lot for the criticism, these are the kinds of posts I appreciate most as I enjoy the feedback and like to get general ideas on how I can try to improve the comic. The website thing is probably gonna be the end where I'm not very adept at handling all too well. Honestly, I'd love to find someone to handle all that for me, but I'm not made of money and I don't have a steady income right now to afford all that. I am doing my best though to try to improve on my comics, to make them more visually appealing and such, so I hope that as time goes on, that will show. Thanks so much for your input.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

AKA Dr. Bokchoy

oh times new roman was just a guess. it looks pretty similar to the one you're using in the comic, is all. i just feel like it doesn't suit the theme you're going for.

and the thing i mentioned about the text in your credit bar, i meant in the bar you've got at the bottom of each comic, where it says the copyright thing and stuff.

Issue 41 is up! In this one, we get a little look from the bad guys' point of view. Thanks for reading!

Also, speaking of bad guys, a new profile has been added to the mix! Introducing Shasta!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

Man I saw the profile and I'd hoped "Man a cool Monk Party Member" then I saw she was a villain. S'always a shame when you get a cool villain that you know you'll have to kill at somepoint. Bravely Default is RIFE with that.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Man I saw the profile and I'd hoped "Man a cool Monk Party Member" then I saw she was a villain. S'always a shame when you get a cool villain that you know you'll have to kill at somepoint. Bravely Default is RIFE with that.

I love games with cool Monk party members, probably because I love the raw damage they always dish out! That being said, I've got plans for different party members, so I hope it'll be something to look forward to. I haven't seen much myself about Bravely Default, but I'm really interested in getting it once it comes to the states.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I love games with cool Monk party members, probably because I love the raw damage they always dish out! That being said, I've got plans for different party members, so I hope it'll be something to look forward to. I haven't seen much myself about Bravely Default, but I'm really interested in getting it once it comes to the states.

Really should, it's like Square made a nice older FF game and did it well.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Issue #42 is up! Shin comes face to face with Genesis!

Tried experimenting with the lighting in this issue. Hope it looks okay, I know I still have a huge way to go when it comes to improving!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

New issue #43 is up! In this one, Genesis shows his love to Shin in honor of Valentine's Day!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

New issue #44 is up! This week, let's play "catch the reference!"
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

XD FFX reference "I wanna be a blitzball!" That poor kid...
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I was reading on a translation site that funnily enough, it wasn't a translation mistake, but that line was actually in the Japanese release. Heard they fixed it for the HD remake though. That line still makes me laugh!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
I was reading on a translation site that funnily enough, it wasn't a translation mistake, but that line was actually in the Japanese release. Heard they fixed it for the HD remake though. That line still makes me laugh!

I dunno I could totally buy it was a line from some dumb kid as intended especially if he ain't mastered English yet.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

New issue #45 is up! The Master of Disguise!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

#46 is up and rarin' to go! Is the princess doomed to fall captive to her captors?

I've also went ahead and added a new profile card for these new characters since we'll be seeing a bit more of them.

Hopefully, I'm planning on trying to get around to uploading more sketches in the future as well as wanting to try to work on the site some, so hopefully that'll come around in the following months! I'm just hard pressed for time at times.... and I'm not so adept at working on sites! D=
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

#47 - Princess Bride. Have Lance and Strife finally come to save the day?
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

Let me guess: Strife and Luna will wind up inexplicably in a relationship by the end despite being shown to have no chemistry whatsoever.
I'll always love you, Max.

General Luigi wrote:
Let me guess: Strife and Luna will wind up inexplicably in a relationship by the end despite being shown to have no chemistry whatsoever.

It's like you've played an RPG before!!! =O
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

Admittedly, my RPG experience is somewhat limited, but I'm pretty familiar with the more common clichés.

General Luigi wrote:
Admittedly, my RPG experience is somewhat limited, but I'm pretty familiar with the more common clichés.

As much as I LOVE Chrono Trigger, I'll admit that Crono and Marle felt forced for a while during the beginning, if only because they were complete strangers. Even worse in Chrono Cross with Serge and Kid. At least in that era, Final Fantasy IV did it very well and at least it was believable and didn't interfere with the main plot.

Anyways, coming live with an update with #49! Our first boss battle! How could our heroes, or any outside force, possibly ruin this?

Also, it's just a lil' bit of an update, but I've updated the world map on the site to show the new location Strife and co. have reached. Been wanting to get to this part for a while, so I hope you guys enjoy and as always, thank you guys for reading! =) Sorry I haven't done more, but as busy as I've been as of late, I've been lucky to finish an issue a week at times.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Issue 50, titled Victory!, is up! I want to say, thank you very much to those who have been reading this comic thus far, I'm really happy to have made it to issue 50, I didn't even think I'd make it this far to be honest. Hope you enjoy it, I'm really happy with this issue and I hope you will be too.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
Issue 50, titled Victory!, is up! I want to say, thank you very much to those who have been reading this comic thus far, I'm really happy to have made it to issue 50, I didn't even think I'd make it this far to be honest. Hope you enjoy it, I'm really happy with this issue and I hope you will be too.

Hahaha nice XD Starting to think Lance has an innate advantage in this world when even enemies fail to understand the game logic and he knows it inside and out.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

It's a good thing he's studied up on his tropes!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Had an idea and decided to experiment a little bit with sprite work (hope it's okay, I'm trying to learn!). I've got several ideas that I can't put in the story so I thought about doing little one-off extras every now and then. If you guys like it, I'll make more!
Spoiler: RPG Hero Extra Issue

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

Hahahaha that's excellent. I wonder how many people get stuck in their day-to-day lives for that very reason.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Welp, I just did something you shouldn't do to a main character...
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

My first guess is that Strife and Lance just fought someone the game required them to lose to. Another possibility that occurred to me is that Strife and Lance aren't the real protagonists, but judging by the comic's plot and theme so far, I find that unlikely. Or maybe it's time for the "reload from the last save" mechanic to be made fun of...

Dadgum, you sure know your RPGs. XD
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

Aww man, when I saw the poster I'd secretly hoped Quinton would turn out to be party member 4 or something.

In any case time for the Princess to develop white magic it seems.

Also General it'd be extremely Golden Sun if this was a fight they were meant to lose and THEN they turned out to not be the actual protagonists.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

New update! Stay tuned next week for the obvious conclusion!

I apologize for not having an update for the past 2 weeks. Between being out of town and being really sick, I didn't have much chance to get anything up. Anyways, thanks for reading. And Pierre and Luigi, I really appreciate your constant feedback. I appreciate it!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

Yet another advantage the bad guys have over the heroes: they don't have to grind to become stronger. I recall Order of the Stick doing something similar with the idea of rivals... [rummages through the archive] Here we are.

It's a pretty funny concept, but it is true. I always found it funny how the same recurring villain always tends to get stronger throughout the game by doing nothing while you grind your butt off, but then if they somehow join your party, they get nerfed big time. First who comes to mind is Magus from Chrono Trigger, but at least it was hand waved a bit by Lavos sucking away his magical energy.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

New issue is up! I'm actually quite happy with the way the effects on this one turned out artistically.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

Gah man I feel bad for Quintin. Two lovable goons dead, a Princess you have to keep alive revives your enemies, no experience points after battle?!

I hope he gets out ok.

The idea that villains and monsters get little experience points after every battle is hilarious. :kristoph:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

It is an RPG World after all. And I like Quinton, I wouldn't have any bad things happen to him... or would I?
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Those useless soldiers of Lancaster finally do something!!! Thanks for continued reading and support guys!
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

In Justice We Trust

There's a part of me that's expecting Luna to tell the soldiers what happened, but there's another part of me that expects Luna to remain silent for some stupid reason--or that the soldiers won't listen to her if she does say something.

General Luigi wrote:
There's a part of me that's expecting Luna to tell the soldiers what happened, but there's another part of me that expects Luna to remain silent for some stupid reason--or that the soldiers won't listen to her if she does say something.

Well... considering how competent the soldiers have been before...
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to be heading out of the country next week and I'll be out for about a week to a week and a half, so there won't be any updates for the next two weeks. Next update will be August 15th.

I'm also hoping that I'll be able to continue posting every Friday since getting a full time teaching job, since I was told I'll probably be doing extended days during most of the year and even Saturday school. I've got a decent backlog for now, but I'll try my best to stick to the schedule I have.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same
Page 2 of 3 [ 84 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Press Conference