Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 2[ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anyone play the Layton series just for this game?Topic%20Title

I've heard someone say they disliked Layton because of the impression he gave in the PL vs AA trailers, but was surprised to end up loving him after playing his games. So that made me curious to hear what other people think. Especially because I do think that Layton has a more serious vibe in the crossover trailers than in his own games.

If you're playing the Layton games in preparation for the crossover, what do you think? Love them, hate them? Were you surprised by them? Have they made you change your mind about anything?
Re: Anyone play the Layton series just for this game?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I started playing Layton in preparation of the crossover.

I started with Professor Layton and the Curious Village, and I didn't like it. The characters were interesting but there wasn't enough dialogue that wasn't puzzle-based to keep me interested. Also the mystery was a little bland compared to other games I've played (I'm a big PC mystery adventure game fan).

However, about a week ago I stopped playing Curious Village and switched to the first chronological game, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, and I LOVE it. There's tons more cutscenes, the addition of Emmy means there's tons more dialogue, and the mystery is interesting. Best of all, the puzzles usually have some place in regards to the story. I was playing through it lightning fast until my 3ds XL broke all the sudden. But I sent it into Nintendo and they fixed it free of charge, so as soon as it arrives I intend to finish Last Specter and get to Miracle Mask, which I recently bought. I've actually decided to wait until the 3rd part of the prequels trilogy is out in america and complete it before going back to Curious Village. I'm sure by then I'll love the series enough to get through it.

Before I thought Layton was probably just a Sherlock Holmes rip off and it was just Brain Age with a story, but I really like the plot of LS and Layton actually reminds me more of Robert Langdon than Sherlock.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Haha, I don't blame you there. Curious Village is a pretty straight up puzzle game with a side of plot, and the constant onslaught of puzzles gets pretty overwhelming. There's a big jump up from that game to Diabolical Box, which is much closer to Last Specter in terms of gameplay. But I'm glad you gave LS a go despite your experience with CV, which I hope you'll enjoy a bit more when you get back to it! And you'll enjoy Miracle Mask for sure. :scientific:

It's funny that you mention Sherlock Holmes though, since they do have a bit in common. Firm believers in logic and deduction, skeptics of fancy, and single-minded in their passions. Their dispositions are pretty different, though. :will:

BobaLunatic wrote:
It's funny that you mention Sherlock Holmes though, since they do have a bit in common. Firm believers in logic and deduction, skeptics of fancy, and single-minded in their passions. Their dispositions are pretty different, though. :will:

Don't get me wrong, I see some Sherlock Holmes in Layton. But like you said, the dispositions are different. Also Layton is working with different puzzles that are more image/symbol-based, which is why I say he reminds me more of Langdon (the protagonist of Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code) than Sherlock Holmes.

And I'll defiantly finish CV. My plan right now is to play LS, Watch the Eternal Diva movie, Play MM, then wait and play the new "last" layton game before going back and playing the original 3. That way I'm getting it in chronological order.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

The King of All

I started playing PL because of an article Nintendo Power published.

It was a list of the must have DS games, so I made it my quest to get all ten games.
If it weren't for that list, I probably wouldn't of tried Phoenix Wright, so I wouldn't be here now.
The king of all, Sir Duke

AIGE and Remnant of the Past Supporter

Deadpool 9 wrote:

It was a list of the must have DS games, so I made it my quest to get all ten games.
If it weren't for that list, I probably wouldn't of tried Phoenix Wright, so I wouldn't be here now.

Unwound future is the best game in the series so far. I highly recommend you play the game by release date, because you won't be able to stand some of the older games flaw after playing the new ones.

Applebutter wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

Unwound future is the best game in the series so far. I highly recommend you play the game by release date, because you won't be able to stand some of the older games flaw after playing the new ones.

I understand this reasoning, as it applies to most people, but I play a lot of older games where say, a 1995 windows game is a prequel to an 80's DOS game, so usually my love of the players makes it easier to go through the earlier, less interesting titles, if only because I'm OCD about chronology and completion.

Also I've heard the finale of Unwound future is very much a finale for Layton and Luke, so I figured it would be better to have that be the final game for me rather than the new one.

A true gentleman always objects!

I played all of them. I've only completed Miracle Mask, Unwound future and Last Specter seems easy enough to finish it soon. I'm not too interested in Curious Village or Diabolical box through. I'm also doing a mindless playthrough on Ace Attorney Vs. Layton and the music and voice acting is awesome!

Game On

When I first heard of PLvsAA in 2010, I thought I wouldn't play it because I didn't know who this Professor Layton was and didn't think it who be as good a a regular AA game. In 2011 I saw the trailer for the game and I decided I was going to play it because I had thought this would be the closest thing to a new AA game we were ever going to get. So yes, I decided to give the Professor Layton games a try. Needless to say it didn't take long until I was hooked and had finished all available games at the time. And now I want PLvsAA more then ever! :will: My favorite games are Miracle Mask and Unwound Future.
ADA McCoy wrote:
Before I thought Layton was probably just a Sherlock Holmes rip off and it was just Brain Age with a story, but I really like the plot of LS and Layton actually reminds me more of Robert Langdon than Sherlock.

Actually Professor Layton is based off of Sherlock Holmes and Phoenix Wright. The creator examined what Nick's good and bad qualities were and designed Layton by overcoming what he saw as Nick's bad points.
Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil

A Seeker of Truth

Deadpool 9 wrote:

It was a combination of this, and the announcement of the crossover that got me hooked to the Layton series. :phoenix:

At the time, I had played before almost every game on the NP Top Ten list and beyond, and loved every single one of those games. As such, I gave another game a try; The World Ends With You. It was a brilliant title, and remains to date one of my two favorite RPGs- and one of my favorite games, for that matter- EVER. As such, given NP's recommendation of this curious looking series, I decided to give it a whirl. Like TWEWY, I was not disappointed :phoenix:

The first game was good; the puzzles made the game for me, and that combined the lovable character that was the good Professor made me decide to continue the series. Much to my delight, the series got WAY better as time went on, and the conclusion to Unwound Future was so powerful that it has left me a devoted Layton fan ever since :phoenix: Well, not THAT devoted; my enthusiasm for the series doesn't match that of Ace Attorney and I'm always slow to buy the latest Layton release, but at some point or another I always end up buying it anyways. The series may not be as stellar as Ace Attorney, but it's one worth holding onto and continuing :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

ADA McCoy wrote:
I started playing Layton in preparation of the crossover.

I started with Professor Layton and the Curious Village, and I didn't like it. The characters were interesting but there wasn't enough dialogue that wasn't puzzle-based to keep me interested. Also the mystery was a little bland compared to other games I've played (I'm a big PC mystery adventure game fan).

However, about a week ago I stopped playing Curious Village and switched to the first chronological game, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, and I LOVE it. There's tons more cutscenes, the addition of Emmy means there's tons more dialogue, and the mystery is interesting. Best of all, the puzzles usually have some place in regards to the story. I was playing through it lightning fast until my 3ds XL broke all the sudden. But I sent it into Nintendo and they fixed it free of charge, so as soon as it arrives I intend to finish Last Specter and get to Miracle Mask, which I recently bought. I've actually decided to wait until the 3rd part of the prequels trilogy is out in america and complete it before going back to Curious Village. I'm sure by then I'll love the series enough to get through it.

I'm currently playing Curious Village right now and I can't say that I'm a big fan, but knowing that other games in the series are better is definitely reassuring.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I didn't initially like Layton either but Curious Village has a lot of charm. It's just that the majority of the game is not nearly as likable as the majority of the other Layton games. Lost Future will definitely make you care about the Layton characters though.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

linkenski wrote:
I didn't initially like Layton either but Curious Village has a lot of charm. It's just that the majority of the game is not nearly as likable as the majority of the other Layton games. Lost Future will definitely make you care about the Layton characters though.

Haha, yeah. The game really started to grow on me as I got wrapped up into the overall mystery. Currently playing Diabolical Box right now. I think I just became addicted to the series.

Heh heh.

Yeop.

When I went to the store, they only had Miracle Mask and Unwound Future available. While I knew next to nothing about the series, I knew enough to decide starting with the last game in a trilogy was not the best idea.

So now I'm playing Miracle Mask. Slow going for me; I'm the OCD type who will painstakingly go over one scene inch by inch, double back if I think I left anything out, and after going over the whole scene, go over it AGAIN. And possibly a third time. So, yeah.

... Well, at least I get all the puzzles and hint coins the first time through xD
So I finally grew a brain and remembered to give myself a signature... Whoopee.
Snackoos IRL. They are delicious and are covered in real chocolate. #so-grateful-I'm-Filipino

Excuse me if I contradict myself. I do that.

Yes, I have, and I like them a lot as well. Now I just need to import a UK copy of Miracle Mask, 'cause over here the Layton games are dubbed into Dutch and it's just awful.

And then bring on the crossover! Eff yeah!
"If witches worship demons, does that make Wright the devil's advocate?" - Just some caption on PLvsAA.

ZAWA ZAWA

I actually played them just for the crossover. I got Curious Village for Christmas and played all the way through to Miracle Mask. While I wasn't a big fan of Curious Village, I loved the other ones. My opinion on Layton and Luke certainly changed after playing from Diabolical Box/Pandora's Box and on. A really great series and I'm glad that I didn't stop at Curious Village just because I didn't like it too much.
Can't wait for Azran Legacy and the Crossover.
9mayasato9 wrote:
So now I'm playing Miracle Mask. Slow going for me; I'm the OCD type who will painstakingly go over one scene inch by inch, double back if I think I left anything out, and after going over the whole scene, go over it AGAIN. And possibly a third time. So, yeah.

Don't worry about it, my friend. It took me 43 hours just to finish the main game of Miracle Mask xD

The video game boy; the one who wins

I've been curious about Professor Layton before knowing about the crossover, and I won't be able to actually play the crossover since I don't own a 3DS, but in a sense, yes, I bought my first Layton-game so that I would have played it when PLvsAA is released in English so I can watch a playthrough and be familiar with things.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Quiet, please, it's snack time!

I personally started playing the first game because I heard pretty good things about the series, but quit it about halfway through because it made me feel like and idiot. These puzzles are meant to be for 10yr olds! *cries in the corner*

Really looking forward to this game though. I'm not sure how I'm going to go with the Layton bits given that I haven't played much of the series.

Ace Explorer

So, I was at Gamestop, and I saw both Diabolical Box and The Last Specter. Picked them both up for 22 bucks.
Maybe not the best combo story-wise, but hey, it's something, right? Now I just have to try and avoid spoilers... :ron:
Well? Are we going or what?

AlonsoSwift wrote:
So, I was at Gamestop, and I saw both Diabolical Box and The Last Specter. Picked them both up for 22 bucks.
Maybe not the best combo story-wise, but hey, it's something, right? Now I just have to try and avoid spoilers... :ron:

I'd recommend you play Last Specter before Diabolical Box, because Last Specter does a great job of introducing the characters.

I honestly don't like PL games except for Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. Im only getting PL:AA only because its a AA crossover.

Fool Bright wrote:
I honestly don't like PL games except for Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. Im only getting PL:AA only because its a AA crossover.

I own that but I haven't played it yet; it looks really good though, more like AA in terms of its tone and gameplay.

D.A. McCoy wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:

I own that but I haven't played it yet; it looks really good though, more like AA in terms of its tone and gameplay.

You should play it. It's a really fun game that is worth the time playing it.

Gardevoir lover

Just after vs Ace attorney came out in Europe i was like "Screw it, i'm gonna try out the Layton games and see what i'm missing."
So i bought a used copy of Curious village and fell in love with it, afterwards i went and bought copies of Last specter and Diabolical box, with my brother giving me hi's copy of Unwound future.

As you guys know i bought Miracle mask last week and i love every single one of these games.
Unlike most i love Curious village best because it's the series in it's most basic form.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Can I hear an "Objection!"?

Same, I got Mysterious Village just when I heard this game was being released. I haven't gotten to the others yet but am loving the game so far, except for the fact I get tired of puzzles and can't play it endlessly like Ace Attorney.

I may try the other ones, since I believe they changed Layton's sprites to look more like AAI-styled instead of front-facing... I think that would enhance the gameplay experience for me.
Mr. Edgeworth, do you realize if we played by the rules, we'd be in court right now?

(My father spent three years restoring this car...)

Gardevoir lover

venser wrote:
Same, I got Mysterious Village just when I heard this game was being released. I haven't gotten to the others yet but am loving the game so far, except for the fact I get tired of puzzles and can't play it endlessly like Ace Attorney.

I may try the other ones, since I believe they changed Layton's sprites to look more like AAI-styled instead of front-facing... I think that would enhance the gameplay experience for me.

That they did.
I got so used to that sprite that the 3DS games don't look that good to me.

Just another day.

back a little more then a year ago i got the games since id be away from any sort of computer for afew months...as such i i decided since i had a ds id go buy and play those to pass the time. since im the type to play a game in order i played by release and the curious village was one where id play on and off since as its been said dialog was just mostly about puzzles and such but overall was good enough to play the diabolical box which i managed to get through and make me like the series a whole lot more...only really started the third game before it was time to come back home...

really do need to find the time to continue unwound future and get through the other games...including PLvsAA.

I was actually a huge Professor Layton fan before hearing about PLvsAA. I had played every game up to date, I love the series. I think each games individual story is amazing though I much prefer the ace attorney games. So hearing about the crossover was like a weird amazing dream.

Though what i'd like to know is did any professor layton fans play the AA series in preperation for PLvsAA?. Probably not the right place to find out that answer.

Y'know

From the crossover, I still do get the feeling he's a bit of a Marty Stu.

I mean, most of the time he's that brilliant professor, admired by everyone for solving puzzles, who goes around talking about being a gentleman. That, and he seems to have everything figured out pretty much off-screen, not sure about his own games.

Yeah, after finishing PLvsAA i decided to pick up the Last Specter (Wanted to play the layton games in chronological order) and i finished that fairly recently and i plan to pick up MM next! I just dont like how Layton solves a bunch of stuff with little to nothing pointing towards that being the outcome (Making it impossible for the player to be on the same wavelength as layton himself)

Playing Professor Layton just because you saw it in an Ace Attorney game? Pfff.

I've played the series since the very beginning! All of them! Get with the program, noooooooooobs. :redd:

Though admittedly, I haven't played the sixth one yet due to not having time. Sooooo...

You're not a real fan until you've played every last one like me ;)

Gardevoir lover

tvmadykid wrote:

I have yet to play Azran legacy but i have finished the others.
What does that make me?

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
tvmadykid wrote:

I have yet to play Azran legacy but i have finished the others.
What does that make me?

A real fan

Haha I'm not saying you guys aren't real fans, that just came out slightly wrong.

I also understand how azran legacy hasn't came out in NA yet so many of you guys haven't had a chance to play it.

tvmadykid wrote:
Haha I'm not saying you guys aren't real fans, that just came out slightly wrong.

I also understand how azran legacy hasn't came out in NA yet so many of you guys haven't had a chance to play it.

No, it has. Some of us just don't have time. Or $40 to spend right now. :sadshoe:

It's Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney that hasn't come out in NA yet.

Y'know

Uh... I tried playing Curious Village and I watched some videos of Diabolical Box. I apologize to all the fans, but... It was so boring. I'm really surprised, seeing how the puzzles and the story were handled pretty well in the crossover.

Nearavex wrote:
Uh... I tried playing Curious Village and I watched some videos of Diabolical Box. I apologize to all the fans, but... It was so boring. I'm really surprised, seeing how the puzzles and the story were handled pretty well in the crossover.

:beef: :beef: :beef: :beef: :beef: :beef: :beef:

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you can play Ace Attorney, I don't really see why Professor Layton would be boring. The mysteries are generally good, and the series' universe as a distinct British charm that's a great cross between East and West. Plus, the third one features one of the most powerful endings I've seen in any game. And of course, the puzzles are devilishly tricky, but the satisfaction one gets after solving them is immeasurable.

Gardevoir lover

Nearavex wrote:

To be fair they were the first two in the series, the later games are definitely better.

Y'know

It's not the puzzles that were the problem to me, but the fact that in these two game the story progressed so slowly... Hmm... I suppose I'll give it a shot with some of the later games.
Page 1 of 2 [ 45 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)