Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 7 posts ]

Is the announcement of a PL#6 US Release a bad sign?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

So they announced PL and the Legacy of Civilization (or whatever its called) is coming to the US in 2014 (Europe in 2013). I had taken this to mean the U.S. would get it in Early 2014.

This makes me a little worried. I had always assumed they would localize PlvsAA first, so both companies could basically use it as a giant marketing video. (Especially Ace Attorney - I think most of us thought PLvsAA was an important step in getting the series popular again and no doubt PLvsAA was a reason why AA5 has Phoenix as a playable character).

I know some are mentioning that We could be getting PLvsAA this year and that we'd get PL6 late 2014. If that's the case, though, wouldn't it have made sense to announce PLvsAA first? The only thing i can think of is that the US is getting PLvsAA first and then PL6, and Europe is getting PL6 first and then PLvsAA, so they had to announce a US date as well so people in the us wouldn't freak out about PL6 not getting released. That doesn't make much sense to me, as I can't think of any reason why they'd reverse the releases (Unless Ace Attorney just isn't popular over there or something).

Am I the only one worried about this? Does anyone with more business/game-industry knowledge know why they might announce PL6 first, even though it would come out later, or am I right in worrying if PLvsAA is ever going to be localized?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Is the announcement of a PL#6 US Release a bad sign?Topic%20Title

1000% Knight

Hmmmmm.... Didn't PLvAA not do that great in Japan? We also can't forget that there's still no word on GK2...

Anyway, there's still plenty of time left in the year for PLvAA to be released, or just announced. I won't say that this is a good sign, but...

They also might want to use PLvAA more to hype up AA5 than PL6, for whatever reason. Or they might even want to do it oppositely: use AA5 and PL6 to hype up PLvAA.

Well, there's not much we can do but wait and see.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Bad Player wrote:
Hmmmmm.... Didn't PLvAA not do that great in Japan? We also can't forget that there's still no word on GK2...

Anyway, there's still plenty of time left in the year for PLvAA to be released, or just announced. I won't say that this is a good sign, but...

They also might want to use PLvAA more to hype up AA5 than PL6, for whatever reason. Or they might even want to do it oppositely: use AA5 and PL6 to hype up PLvAA.

Well, there's not much we can do but wait and see.

Not only did it not sell as well as people thought it would, it was also considered too long (I don't know how that can be a criticism, to be honest) and that the styles of gameplay didn't mesh as well as people thought. It didn't sell terribly, though, and I'd think the criticism of length would probably be counted as a good thing in the west, where a criticism of AA is often it's short length and lack of replay value.

I'm sure that the majority of PLvsAA's hype will be geared towards AA, because it's the series that's suffering in the U.S. If I'm not mistaken Layton is still really popular in the west. But I'd think Capcom/Level-5 would be making a huge deal out of the game, if only to capitalize on the Layton fandom. What worries me is that they've already announced PL6, which means that either:
A. They are not localizing PLvsAA at all, and they're moving on with the next game.
B. They are localizing PLvsAA After they do PL6, which is alright but it misses the opportunity to bring in new fans for AA5, meaning more sales and a greater chance that AA6 will get localized.
C. They are going to announce PLvsAA at e3 in June, are releasing it here in 2013 and 2014 in Europe. (With PL6's years the reverse of that). This doesn't make a lot of sense to me (you'd think if PLvsAA was coming out this year, then they would have annouced that BEFORE PL6, and that the releases of both games would be simultaneous for both Europe and the U.S. But this is also the one I hope happens, because I think it's best for the future of AA for this game to come out before AA5.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

A Seeker of Truth

Most Professor Layton games get released in the fall, right? As such, though granted we have yet to see an announcement, I don't think it'd be out of the question that we may still see an English version this year, seeing as there will already be a Layton being released next year :phoenix: That's all speculation, granted, but that's just my thoughts on the matter :minuki:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Last edited by GentlemanGamer on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shut up, Hitler

They should just release it as 'Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney.' Market it in the west as primarily a Professor Layton game, put in a few shots of Phoenix/Maya in the cutscenes to make people a little aware of them.

Then when they play the game, they'll want to know who Phoenix et al are and so will check out the Ace Attorney games.

A Seeker of Truth

Wolverfrog wrote:
They should just release it as 'Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney.' Market it in the west as primarily a Professor Layton game, put in a few shots of Phoenix/Maya in the cutscenes to make people a little aware of them.

Then when they play the game, they'll want to know who Phoenix et al are and so will check out the Ace Attorney games.

....maybe that could work :yuusaku: Then again, I can imagine something silly happening in that case such as someone considering the game to be from the 'canon' series, and them thus getting completely confused and upset by it. Plus Ace Attorney is an equal 'partner' in this game, even though that half of the crossover isn't really what will be selling most of its copies, so the AA fan in me isn't quite comfortable with the idea of the series being made second banana, even if it's just in the title. An interesting idea though, to be sure :minuki:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

This thread was about the possibility of not getting PLvsAA, and... Well, we all know it's been confirmed for the west, so locking this one right up ;)
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)