Board index » Hosted » Chicken Kitchen

Page 1 of 1[ 3 posts ]

Gameplay Ideas for Ghost Trick 2Topic%20Title

This rock... it reminds me of a puzzle!

Yes, I know this is a really overused topic and we should just learn to let it go, but hey! It's fun talking about these things. I'm not replying to the old threads because, well, they're old and I'm not sure if necro is a thing here.

Anyway, if they ever decided to make a new Ghost Trick game, I've come up with a gameplay style that could potentially spice things up and take advantage of the 3DS's 3D gimmick.

Ghost Trick: New Dimensions!

I haven't come up with a coherent story line for this, but it mainly revolves around three playable Ghost characters. They aren't all available from the get-go but you'll get them relatively early, as their Tricks are vital to the New Dimensions thing that the title advertises. Note that the ideas I've come up with here are mostly gameplay related, so I don't have any insightful character descriptions/backgrounds to give you. Sorry!

Ghost Number One - The Sissel Clone

This ghost is your first playable Ghost and like the previous protagonist, he is your average fuddy duddy trickster that interacts with objects to intervene with Fate.

Ghost Number Two - XYZ/Name pun that has something to do with 3D

Now this one's exciting! XYZ's Trick power is to extrude an object from its current layer to pull it towards the layer nearest to the screen.

...What? It's hard to explain for me without visuals (I'll conjure one up if this thread gains heat -- I don't want to exert too much effort on a dead thread!), but the main gist of XYZ's presence is the ability to rotate the view left and right. You basically get 4 different angled views of your playing field, versus that one flat 2D one in the first Ghost Trick game.

Now, I know... is this necessary? What can we possibly gain from this? Well, have you ever played the game Crush for 3DS? I expect the gameplay to work similarly. You can switch between 2D and 3D versions of the same map, which allows access to objects you can't normally reach, and allow Tricks that can't normally be done in 2D!

You can rotate the view and change from 2D to 3D with any Ghost, mind you (all you need is XYZ's presence in that level). But now, to talk about XYZ's actually Trick powers. Now, imagine a 2D room with two tables sitting at the opposite ends of each other (left most table colored is red and right most is blue). There's a bottle placed on top of the red table. Now, imagine wanting to move that one bottle to the blue table. Using Trick will normally rock the bottle, causing it to fall off the table and break. Now, if you rotate the view to the right, you'll see the same room, but with only the blue table visible (because the red table is covered from the player's view by the blue table). The bottle now seemingly sits atop the blue table in your view. In 3D view, you'll see that the bottle actually is still sitting atop the red table, the one that is hidden from your view. If you use Trick it will pull the bottle towards your screen, and now the bottle is pulled from the red table to the blue table. You will visually see nothing changed, except the game forces you back to 2D view. If you rotate your view back to the left, you will be brought back to your previous angle of the level with the red table on the left and the blue table on the right. But this time, the bottle is on the right, sitting on top of the blue table! Now you can use Sissel Clone's Trick on the bottle and smash it on the right side of the room instead! Hurray!

I hope you weren't too confused by all that! If you want, like I said, I would provide visuals. But only if you're interested.

Ghost Number Three - Trixie/Cedric

Name puns derives from two words Trick and See. Trixie is a completely optional Ghost and you aren't required to play him/her, he/she's more of a spiritual (hehe) guide more than anything. If you posses an object that is currently possessed by one of your playable Ghosts, his/her Trick is to provide a foresight of what would happen if you did press Trick with the actual Ghost. For example, if you use Trick on a lamp that is possessed by the Sissel clone, it would show the lamp turn on for like 5 seconds, then immediately turns off. The whole Trick of Trixie/Cedric is to provide a "flashback" for the future. So I guess a "flashforward". Now why is she necessary? I imagine that because the game gives you a whole new environment with 4 different angles of the map, it would be unpredictable what exactly Tricks would do. Object Tricks behave differently depending on which angle you're viewing it from, and which dimension (2D or 3D) you're viewing the playing field from. Instead of punishing the player with a guess and check playthrough that they have to restart everytime for getting the Tricks at the wrong time, Trixie/Cedric tells you what the object actually does without having to actually execute the Trick in real time.

And that's mainly it! It completely revolutionizes the way you play Ghost Trick WITHOUT having it feel like a whole new game. Tell me what you think! And I hope you understand the XYZ part properly, ha ha ha!
Re: Gameplay Ideas for Ghost Trick 2Topic%20Title

Wait,so are you saying that the effect of the trick would change depending on whether you are viewing the map on 2D or 3D?

Your ideas sound interesting,though I am kinda curious abut waht the story of that game would be.I have no ideas of my own,though.
Signature loading, please wait...
Re: Gameplay Ideas for Ghost Trick 2Topic%20Title

This rock... it reminds me of a puzzle!

cesar26100 wrote:
Wait,so are you saying that the effect of the trick would change depending on whether you are viewing the map on 2D or 3D?

Your ideas sound interesting,though I am kinda curious abut waht the story of that game would be.I have no ideas of my own,though.

Yes, Tricks act differently depending on the way you're viewing the map. Here's a crappy gif example (sorry):

In 2D:

The tennis ball, when Tricked, bounces off the table because the world is in flat 2D.

In 3D:

This time the tennis ball falls all over to the floor instead of bouncing on the table, because the table is further in the background. Imagine the room being 3D rendered and all.

You can be a lot more creative than this and introduce new interesting puzzles!
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Hosted » Chicken Kitchen