Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 1 of 3[ 109 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Wherein we discuss English voicesTopic%20Title

W101 and P101 player; Ace Attorney fan

What are your thoughts? Sam Riegel and Orion Acaba nailed it for sure. I could tell Sam had to alter his Phoenix voice a bit in contrast to the UMVC3 version. I'll always praise Wendee Lee no matter what role she plays. Orion Acaba as Apollo? He gave thanks for my appreciation on Twitter! woo! Kyle Hebert, aka the voice of Ryu, as Miles Edgeworth is alright, his shouting just needs refining. Blackquill's voice is alright, it does suit his dark toned personality. And the one English voice I disliked the most? BOOBY FULBRIGHT. That's right folks, you read that just fine. The English voice annoyed the hell outta me when I first heard it from the English dubbed Nintendo Direct trailer. Well, that's my opinion. What is yours? Leave your comments and critiques below and I hope you all have a good time with Dual Destinies!
Re: Anyone liked/disliked the English voices?Topic%20Title

Mia Payne

Forever Agent M wrote:
What are your thoughts? Sam Riegel and Orion Acaba nailed it for sure. I could tell Sam had to alter his Phoenix voice a bit in contrast to the UMVC3 version. I'll always praise Wendee Lee no matter what role she plays. Orion Acaba as Apollo? He gave thanks for my appreciation on Twitter! woo! Kyle Hebert, aka the voice of Ryu, as Miles Edgeworth is alright, his shouting just needs refining. Blackquill's voice is alright, it does suit his dark toned personality. And the one English voice I disliked the most? BOOBY FULBRIGHT. That's right folks, you read that just fine. The English voice annoyed the hell outta me when I first heard it from the English dubbed Nintendo Direct trailer. Well, that's my opinion. What is yours? Leave your comments and critiques below and I hope you all have a good time with Dual Destinies!

Bobby has absolutely ZERO voiced lines in the main game, its not that big of an issue.

Blizdi wrote:
Forever Agent M wrote:

Bobby has absolutely ZERO voiced lines in the main game, its not that big of an issue.

I know, I just hate his voice, that's all

Shut up, Hitler

Blizdi wrote:
Forever Agent M wrote:

Not true. He speaks over the cutscene where Blackquill is first introduced.

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

I actually love every single voice in the trailer, and are loving them in the game.

Gaspen Payne and The Judge are PERFECT.

Also, changed the title to a less hostile one, so we can make it much more general discussion rather than "who hates this other than me" :)
Re: Wherein we discuss English voicesTopic%20Title

Gaspen is fine. But otherwise the voices are really killing it, the heavy Americanization too. I'd much prefer a translation over a localization.

What I mean is try to keep the script as close as the original as possible but only changing it when necessary like if a joke doesn't work in English. Nine Tails Vale being founded by Japanese Immigrants, really? Why not just admit the game is based in Japan? This isn't the early 2000s where rice balls are called jelly donuts in English.

Blackquill's "Silence!" isn't nearly as good as the original "だまれ!" (Shut up!). In my opinion if they kept it as "Shut up!" and got the guy who voices the Mercs announcer in Black Ops 2 then it would of been acceptable.

I'm enjoying the game so far but the heavily Americanized script and voice overs knock down my enjoyment factor a lot. I would of much preferred if they at least gave you the ability to swap between Japanese/English voices for cut scenes (with subtitles obviously) and Objections. Overuse of common English colloquialism okay fine but at least spare my ears from the torture.

So far, I have no problem with the American voices. Apollo sounds damn near perfect, and Phoenix's voice is growing on me every time I hear it. I really like Blackquill's "Objection!" too. Even though I don't think he has any voiced lines in the cutscenes, his voice and style of speech makes me think he would sound like a bit like Cooler from Dragonball Z Abridged Series. Also, even though he only says two words in the cutscene, The Judge sounded EXACTLY like I had always expected him to sound.

Spoiler:
After beating Case 3, Klavier's voice in the cutscene fits much better than than his "Objection!" Yeah, I'm still kinda pissed he doesn't have a European-style accent, but it definitely has a "rockstar" feel to it that fits his personality, so overall I'd be happy with Capcom using that voice going forward (assuming Klavier appears in future GS games). Now I just need to hear Edgeworth in the cutscenes.

TheIdioteque wrote:
Spoiler:
After beating Case 3, Klavier's voice in the cutscene fits much better than than his "Objection!" Yeah, I'm still kinda pissed he doesn't have a European-style accent, but it definitely has a "rockstar" feel to it that fits his personality, so overall I'd be happy with Capcom using that voice going forward (assuming Klavier appears in future GS games). Now I just need to hear Edgeworth in the cutscenes.

I can't wait! I just beat case 1 and I sure was already annoyed as hell when cross examining to Ted Tonate

Surf's Up!

I like Athena and Blackquill's voices, Phoenix and Apollo's are okay, but I feel their original voices were better, Klavier's is meh (again I feel his original voie was better), Gaspen's voice sounds like Mia Fey's voice from TaT, and based on what I've heard (namely his Objection! soundclip), Edgeworth's voice is horrendous.

Overall, I prefer the old soundclips over the new ones.

NinjaMonkey wrote:
I like Athena and Blackquill's voices, Phoenix and Apollo's are okay, but I feel their original voices were better, Klavier's is meh (again I feel his original voie was better), Gaspen's voice sounds like Mia Fey's voice from TaT, and based on what I've heard (namely his Objection! soundclip), Edgeworth's voice is horrendous.

Overall, I prefer the old soundclips over the new ones.

Well, that was harsh to Sam Riegel, Orion Acaba, and the guy who voices Street Fighter's Ryu (Kyle Hebert as Miles Edgeworth)

Surf's Up!

Forever Agent M wrote:
Well, that was harsh to Sam Riegel, Orion Acaba

I said that their voices were okay (and meant no disrespect in doing so), didn't I? Thus, I can hardly see how you could call that "being harsh". Besides, I would have thought that I would be allowed to prefer one set of voice-acting over another.

Forever Agent M wrote:
and the guy who voices Street Fighter's Ryu (Kyle Hebert as Miles Edgeworth)

In my opinion, Edgeworth's new voice-acting is too gruff for him, and is comparable with Manfred von Karma's voice-acting of a man of Germanic decent in his mid-sixties, not a supposedly British man in his mid-thirties...

NinjaMonkey wrote:
Forever Agent M wrote:
Well, that was harsh to Sam Riegel, Orion Acaba

I said that their voices were okay (and meant no disrespect in doing so), didn't I? Thus, I can hardly see how you could call that "being harsh". Besides, I would have thought that I would be allowed to prefer one set of voice-acting over another.

Forever Agent M wrote:
and the guy who voices Street Fighter's Ryu (Kyle Hebert as Miles Edgeworth)

In my opinion, Edgeworth's new voice-acting is too gruff for him, and is comparable with Manfred von Karma's voice-acting of a man of Germanic decent in his mid-sixties, not a supposedly British man in his mid-thirties...

I just misread the first part, sorry about that

Art Person

Voices I think work the best:
L'Belle, The Judge, Simon

Voices that are good and I need to get used to:
Phoenix (I've almost gotten used to his being Nick's real voice)
Apollo (Still too low for what I'm used to, especially in perceiving moments, his "Gotcha!" doesn't yet feel the same.)
Athena (She's not Haruhi... She's not Konata... She's ATHENA! Still, I think it's an excellent choice for her VA!)

Others:
Edgeworth: His objection I'm fine with, After watching the trailer, I'm starting to be a little iffy, but I'll save judgement for until I hear him in-game
Payne: No... It sounds like a fan's voice over, It doesn't bother me because he has little voice parts, so It's all OK.
Klavier: Have only heard his objection, and I think seeing it's usage, It may be different, but it's OK
Bobby: It's OK, and does suit him, but he's Japanese VA had a lot more impact with his JUSTICE!!!!! I blame their localisation, as "In justice we trust" is too long a phrase to carry equal over-the-top impact, as his Japanese catchphrase.

Wotter boy

I absolutely LOVE Orion Acaba as Apollo. imo, he probably has the best voice.
Phoenix and Athena are okay, and Klavier's voice is cool, albeit different.
Edgey's voice is really deep and Gaspen sounds like a stabilized Winston.

I was struck when L'Belle was like "night, night, Alderman! Sweet Dreams!" BLOODY STAB

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

1. That's a spoiler.
2. This is not where you talk about that.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

TheDimensionofTime wrote:
1. That's a spoiler.
2. This is not where you talk about that.

1. That's not a spoiler (revealed in an opening cutscene :/)
2. True, but whatever.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Tag it anyway. This thread isn't marked for spoilers.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Easy, guys, I was just expressing my feelings towards L'Belle's voice! o_o
Don't be mean to me :( :udgy: :larry:

Ace Attorney of Awesome

TheIdioteque wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Edgeworth's voiced by Kyle Herbert. He comes to cons in my area often; next time I see him, I'm having him say sweet Edgeworthy things to me. :godot:

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Thoughts:
Orion Acaba freakin nailed those Chords of Steel. No objections there.
I eventually got used to Phoenix's and Blackquill's.
Udgey and Gaspen, well, needless to say they were perfect.
Juniper and Hugh, not bad, the minor roles were voiced even better than the main ones.
Athena, however, hoo boy. The voice was perfect, but the delivery and lines (in the cutscenes!) sounded way too cheesy and weak and trying-too-hard for me. Wendee Lee could have done better in my IMO. Her interjections were flawless though.

But whatever, complaining about that is way too late. Any thoughts on my thoughts? :)

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

While a lot of the cutscene dialogue was far too cheesy and, as someone adequately expressed it, 'trying too hard', I think most interjections are pretty darn good.

However, I expected both Edgeworth and Apollo to have slightly higher voices. On the other hand, I was positively surprised by the fitting voices of the Judge and Gaspen.

Stack them up beside all the old voice clips, and they all sound weird, especially Edgeworth. He sounds British to me.

Klavier's objection was way off his anime voice. On the other hand, Simon Blackquill. My god, that voice was perfect. Especially his "SILENCE!".

Achtung,baby~!

Les see...
Phoenix's objection still sounds like a slightly excited Ron DeLite to me aka pathetic and weak.Other than that,he sounds good.
Apollo is perfect,props to Orion or whatever his name is.
Athena's voice actress sounds like a a 40 years old woman trying to sound like an 18 years old...In other words - unfitting and fake.
Lemme google her voice actress...53 years old?!No wonder.
Idgaf about Gaspen.
L'belle was solid.
Klavier was BUTCHERED.HOLY SHIT.I also hate the fact that his 3D model is derpy looking.
Simon was uuuuh...
His objection was horrible,sounded like some 50 years old wiseass.His silence was meh.
Edgeworth sounds like he just came out of some British Soap Opera where he portrayed a 57 years old man.
Douces.

Thane wrote:
While a lot of the cutscene dialogue was far too cheesy and, as someone adequately expressed it, 'trying too hard', I think most interjections are pretty darn good.

I thought the cutscenes were pretty good to be honest. Some of the dialogue WAS cheesy (*coughcase3cough*) and over the top (to me, that just went with the overall theme of the series), but you can't deny the cutscene of Phoenix and Edgeworth in the blown up courtroom was anything less than epic. I don't really understand quite how they were "trying too hard" (but then again, I've always thought the whole "trying too hard argument" was basically nothing more than a pretentious strawman argument to begin with). If anything, the cutscene voices make me appreciate the interjections much more (especially Klavier's), although Edgeworth's interjection still sounds nothing like his cutscene voice. Also, I wasn't into Fullbright's voice. I guess it fit him in a way, but it just kind of came off as generic. Also, I hate that Blackquill never speaks in any of the cutscenes.

Honestly, I would love to see future GS/GK games implement more cutscenes. It's nice to hear the voices of characters who aren't out there screaming "Objection!" and "Hold It!" for once. :phoenix:

ok, so I got to the cutscene where Klavier talks to the crowd at night, and I was like "Ben Tennyson, is that you???"

Do that and I'll throw grape juice at u

I did not like Klavier's voice at ALL, it didn't feel remotely close to his voice clip in GS4 and I was expecting an accent from all the German he always says.
Phoenix: Sounded a little too high for his age at first but it grew on me.
Apollo: At first I was eeh but I love it now
Athena's was perfect
The minor roles too
Edgeworth, sigh, his cutscene was good but his objection sounded like he was trying to sounds like Von Karma and I cringed every time he objected.

Overall, for the first cast for anime cutscenes it was good but they could do better for the voice clips and some scenes.
:gant: Evil people eat Oreos :gant:
Please donate if you can @ http://www.youcaring.com/epichugger

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

Now that I think about it, the cutscene dialogue would pass as typical main text dialogue. (Except I really don't think Nick would say "Just believe in yourself!") They were "cheesy", I agree, but if they were text, I'm willing to bet we would have no qualms regarding them.

Athena had drastically different voices, but they were kinda bad either way. (Listen to "Where are you Apollo? Trial's over for today!" then "I refuse to believe that she's the killer!") That Case 3 cutscene made me cringe. Heck, Junie was voiced astronomically better. Only some cutscenes kinda "passed", I guess? Her interjections were very good. As in very good.

Apollo had a great voice, but it wasn't as loud as I would've hoped. Also, did his balls drop at 23? He went from dork to kinda cool I guess.

Klavier, that nasty-ass voice. Yuri Lowenthal is a great voice actor, but he could've put a little more accent in it.

Edgeworth was the opposite of Athena. His cutscene voice fit him quite well. That British, Snape-thing going on was kinda cool. What the hell happened to his Objection? Was he suddenly possessed? Damn.

The minor characters had really good voices. Although they don't really compensate, no?

Sorry, I just had to let that out, I was feeling kinda down about the voices.

Zvarri!

Different strokes for different folks...but honestly, I am greatly impressed with the quality of the casting/voice actors. Phoenix's voice actor is fairly prolific and has been in a variety of roles over the past few years (And I must say, he's perfect for Phoenix). Apollo's voice is another who could not have been more perfect.

Athena fits as Wendee Lee, down to the angry mannerisms. Bobby's is uh, kinda derpy but I suppose it's supposed to be, given he's a big, lovable bumbling oaf.

Simon's is amazing, I feel it fits him perfectly in a dignified but aggressive manner. There is only one I am slighty iffy on...

Spoiler:
Edgeworth's. I feel like they should have cast him as someone lighter and airier (Take Liam O'Brian or Cam Clarke, for example). That said, I think his current voice isn't too shabby.

Apollo: "Sorry... but I will be taking a leave of absence"
Athena: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A LEAVE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

After that I was sure I didn't like her VA >_>

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

I was really surprised that the judge got a good VA, they made him sound judge-like without being the stereotypical old guy voice he is in most English dubs of Japanese trailers.

...maybe it was a little foolish to judge the difficulty of getting a good VA based entirely on fan dubs, but hey.

For the most part, I like the cutscene voice acting better than the actual court interjections. Going from character to character...

Phoenix: I didn't like his objection at all when it first came out, but it's definitely grown on me since. His cutscene VA is really well done, and I liked it the first time I heard it. Sam Riegel did a good job of keeping an old Phoenix sound while toning the enthusiasm down (compared to UMvC3).

Apollo: Apollo is probably the only returning character that I think had his courtroom interjections improved from his previous appearance. He sounds like he's forcing things a lot less than before, and he's much more comfortable in the courtroom. Apollo barely has any lines in cutscenes, but he sounds pretty good during those few occasions.

Athena: Athena's probably the main character that I'm the iffy-ist on. Her accent is all over the place. Her Hold It sounds very European, her Take That sounds similar to Mia's, and her Objection sounds like a completely different VA than either of the two. She's decent in cutscenes, though I think she's the weakest out of the three lawyers there as well.

Blackquill: He never gets any voiced lines (except in the launch trailer) outside of his interjections, which is a major disappointment, because his voice actor is amazing. His objection is great, his silence is great, his lack of lines is not so great.

Fulbright: Only a few lines in one cutscene, and it sounds pretty much like I imagined him, so it's good.

Edgeworth: His objection is weird, but it has been 8 years since we last heard from him, so it'd be reasonable to expect his voice to change. His cutscene acting is incredible, though. He's got just the right amount of sassiness while still remaining dignified.

Klavier: His objection is just awful. It doesn't sound anything like his AJ objection, and it's been less than a year since he last appeared, so he doesn't have the excuse that Edgeworth does. It sounds like his voice rose 5 octaves, and considering they only insert his objection clip once in the entire game, I'm not sure why they even bothered bringing it in. As for cutscenes, I imagined him with more of a European accent, but I'm too miffed over how awful his objection is to care about that.

Payne: His objection is very Payne-like, and his one line in a cutscene is pretty good as well. Not much more to say here.

Spoiler Related Characters:
Spoiler:
Damian Tenma: Pretty good. Doesn't talk a lot, but it fits well with his personality.

Jinxie Tenma: General approval.

Juniper/Robin/Hugh: I think they only say a few words about the bracelets, so can't comment.

Solomon Starbuck: All he says is "I'll be fine" a couple of times, and that's it, so not much to say here either.

"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

linkenski wrote:

Oh wow all the this. Dang. "Hold it! I refuse to believe that she the khiller! I've da-sided! I'm going to defend you. I'll fight with everything I've (pause) gohhht" and "Oh why Appow-low"

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

jaydrick0620 wrote:
linkenski wrote:

Oh wow all the this. Dang. "Hold it! I refuse to believe that she the khiller! I've da-sided! I'm going to defend you. I'll fight with everything I've (pause) gohhht" and "Oh why Appow-low"

Yeah, and her case 3 lines reminded me of Azula from Avatar. It was like Athena was voiced by Grey DeLisle.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Yeah, I don't get it. I heard so many good things about Wendee Lee before DD, but honestly, both her acting is overplayed and her pronounciation (even in OBDIECTION!) is off especially in case 3. Her voice ... just sound plain weird to me.

Funny because I thought Juniper and Hugh had pretty good VAs. Hugh's "outburst" was laughable as fuck, but that's excusable, it sounded just as stupid in the Japanese version.

Ace Attorney

Edgeworth's 'objection' kinda bothered me....it sounded like he broke into a coughing fit in the middle of shouting like

Objec-*cough**gag**bleh*-tion.

Anyone else think so?
I am so judging things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions.

Every time Edgeworth objected this came to mind...

Phoenix: A bit odd after the perfection that was Ben Judd, but the speaking voice sounds quite good and the shouts were something I got used to by the end of the game.

Apollo: Sounds almost exactly like his old voice albeit toned down. I'd like to think he stopped his strained yelling from the last game after a while. Probably my favorite one of the bunch.

Athena Cykes: Sounds like my in-head voice for her. No problems here.

Simon Blackquill: Though I'd like to laugh at the odd combination of character traits for him (British/Victorian/Samurai/Lives in LA), his voice is also quite good. A shame he doesn't get any voiced lines, considering he's a major character.

Klavier: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!!! For reference: AA4 voice sounds like a rockstar, the AA5 voice sounds like someone trying to imitate a boy band member. A shame, too: I genuinely liked his cameo in the game.

Edgeworth: Uhhhhh... His voice isn't bad per se, but I'd want them to tone down the gruffness just a tad to hit the sweet spot.
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Ultimate Survivor

I honestly thought most of the voice acting was pretty cringe-worthy, but luckily the majority of the cutscenes were less than a minute long, so it wasn't torturous. I haven't had a problem with these voice actors in the past, so I don't know what the deal was here. Probably has to do with how cheesy a lot of the lines were, as well as the little amount of materials they had to work with.

Most of the interjections I was fine with. I liked Athena's "Hold it!" better than her "Objection!" Blackquill's "Silence!" was top tier.

For the few lines they had, Gaspen and L'Belle were godly.
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

Prodigal Son

Phoenix's took me by surprise at first--it definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but I winded up enjoying his voice by the end of the game.

Apollo had a very nice voice, but he sounded a little too close to Phoenix for my tastes. There were quite a few times where their voices seemed indistinguishable in cutscenes.

Athena...her interjections were great, but her cutscenes made me cringe--the cheesy lines don't really translate well voiced, and her enthusiastic presentation of the lines made them worse. It was disappointing, considering her voice actress is otherwise a wonderful and prolific performer.

I was mildly frustrated that Simon's had no cutscene lines [though, considering how botched said cutscenes seemed to come across, perhaps this was for the better]. I found his objection to be a little weak, but deeply enjoyed his "SILENCE!".

Klavier's voice was way off from how I imagined it and a whole lot different from his objection in AJ. It sounded a bit too boyish. Edgeworth's voice, on the other hand, was a bit too gruff for him.

I agree with the Judge and L'Belle being perfect, though.
RETURN OF THE JEDI STRIPES.
Page 1 of 3 [ 109 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)