Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)

Page 2 of 3[ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Is this game too much easy compared to the older ones?Topic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Cravat of Doom wrote:
Spoiler: Turnabout Reclaimed

This is the answer to the thread everyone else go home.

I'm too lazy to find what happens when I get this wrong. Did anyone else try it yet?
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

GETCH'ER SCIENTIFIC STUFF READY

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

I'm too lazy to find what happens when I get this wrong. Did anyone else try it yet?

I can't remember either, but it'll be something like this:

Phoenix: "This is the crime scene!"

Blackquill: ...

Judge: ...lel, it says right here in teh pictawr u dumy, penalty.

...I should leave my imagination aside, often...
"Oh holy father, holy Brother, holy master... My sacred mission is at last complete. With these two hands, mankind is saved. I am your will made flesh. In your name, I give thanks."

wings of justice

BonnyMono wrote:
I don't know about you guys but, has anyone ever noticed how the difficulty decreases greatly when the game gets a sequel on the 3ds? It's like they want newcomers to start with Dual Destinies instead of the very first game. (Which they succeeded.)

I haven't played all too many 3DS games, but of the ones I have, this is very true. GS5, Pokémon X/Y, and FE: Awakening all got difficulty downgrades (FE is kind of a borderline case since you can play the game at multiple difficulty levels, but I include it for the fact that it offered so many "easy" options, especially the causal mode where characters don't die if they're killed). I haven't had the opportunity to play A Link Between Worlds yet, but I've heard that one is pretty easy as well.

I was kind of disappointed in all the hand-holding in GS5, but I didn't let it ruin the game for me. It's still one of my favourites in the series and I love all of the other new things that were introduced aside from the easy-making bits.

Expert bluffer

BonnyMono wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
Cravat of Doom wrote:

I can't remember either, but it'll be something like this:

Phoenix: "This is the crime scene!"

Blackquill: ...

Judge: ...lel, it says right here in teh pictawr u dumy, penalty.

...I should leave my imagination aside, often...

Kind of reminds me of those Professor Layton puzzles that you get once in a while in which you have to choose A, B, or C.
"A?"
"No."
"B?"
"No."
"C!"
"Amazing, Layton! I don't know how you do it!"
...This is even more simplified, at that. I vaguely remember this point in Turnabout Reclaimed but at that point I didn't even have anything clever to say about it.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

"I'll gladly take your 1 cent!" --Miles Edgeworth

So, while we're all on the subject of asking questions, I've got one: Dragoncactus, are you a cactus-looking dragon, dragon-looking cactus, or a dragon made of cacti?

Ace Explorer

Fool Bright wrote:
BonnyMono wrote:
I don't know about you guys but, has anyone ever noticed how the difficulty decreases greatly when the game gets a sequel on the 3ds? It's like they want newcomers to start with Dual Destinies instead of the very first game. (Which they succeeded.)

Getting newcomers to the game isn't necessary a bad thing, especially since the series needs more followers so that we can have a better chance of getting more games localized. I do agree though that it would be nice if they did make the game atleast abit harder

I think what they'll do is make the next game more difficult. Think of it like 'starting over' - JFA was harder than the first game (IMO, anyway).
Well? Are we going or what?

Expert bluffer

Thane wrote:
So, while we're all on the subject of asking questions, I've got one: Dragoncactus, are you a cactus-looking dragon, dragon-looking cactus, or a dragon made of cacti?

None of the above, I'm merely a cactus-flavored dragon.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks a peel." --Phoenix Wright

DragonCactus wrote:
Thane wrote:

...Or a dragon-flavored cactus?

An Enigma Among Humans

Yeah, the lack of investigation was a something that made me almost want to not continue playing. I want to say that all of this is team DD's fault. Takumi would never do this. And if you follow the thread, it is all Capcom's fault for making it without him.

Spoiler: For those who do not know...
Takumi was asked to work on PLvsPW and went to work on that. While he was gone, Capcom wanted to make another AA game, and since Takumi was not around, they just assembled a team and made it without him.

Let this all be a lesson for people who wish to rush things. All you'll get is a bunch of pissed off fans who have a big gaping hole in their heart where a good thing should have been.

Expert bluffer

Thane wrote:
DragonCactus wrote:
Thane wrote:

...Or a dragon-flavored cactus?

...Well, I have no idea what a dragon tastes like, while I do have some semblance of the flavor of a cactus. I'd rather be a powerful, mythical creature than a stagnant yet easy to take care of plant.

DragonCactus wrote:
Thane wrote:

Please tell me you taste like prickly pear. I wuuuv prickly pear. ^q^
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

For the record, I've only beaten Cases 1 and 2 as well as the DLC case. I'm about half-way through Case 3 at the moment.

I don't actually find the questions "easier" (except for that one previously mentioned
Spoiler:
regarding the stage pool in Turnabout Reclaimed. That was ridiculous and I thought it was a trick question for a while.
) however there were many more obvious hints (or even times when they just outright told you the answer). I would really prefer them not to be so obvious about it, although in all honesty the games' difficulty has never been an important part of the experience for me. I've always felt the other installments' questions were either instantly obvious or extremely aggravating to the point where I had to look it up in a walk-through.

The removal of penalties on psych-locks isn't that big of a deal to me either. Back when I was first playing the other games, if I got a penalty when I started I would just restart.

The only real thing that bothers me regarding streamlining/making the game easier is the lack of investigation in other areas than crime scenes. In my time playing, I've encountered at least two locations that are "2D" (not interactive or 360 degrees) that the characters examine. I have no idea why they didn't include this in the other locations. If they were worried about confusing new players, they could have just had the playable character say "I don't think there's anything relevant here, but it never hurts to check" like they do when you re-examine an area.

All in all, though, these are small problems. In fact, I do think it's the best AA game so far. I know probably a large amount of AA fans would disagree with me here, and it isn't my personal favorite, but I think it's the best "average" of the Ace Attorney experience. So far I haven't disliked any of the cases (in my opinion every other game other than DD and AJ have a "bad case"), I love how the returning characters are handled (It's so great to see both Phoenix and Apollo back in a big way) and I really like the new characters (at this point, I think Athena is great) I think the overall plot is really good and has a very similar feel to my favorite AA games, AJ and GS1.

If GS6 brings back examining non-relevant backgrounds and maybe increases the difficulty a bit, it might become my favorite AA game if everything else is as great as it is in GS5.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

D.A. McCoy wrote:
All in all, though, these are small problems. In fact, I do think it's the best AA game so far. I know probably a large amount of AA fans would disagree with me here, and it isn't my personal favorite, but I think it's the best "average" of the Ace Attorney experience.

It certainly is average compared to previous titles. Regardless, I still find the first game as the best foundation for budding AA fans. DD does nicely set up a rather clear level of expectations for new fans, though. They might not like the previous games as much after playing DD, or it could be the other way around, so we could get more members like me who complain incessantly about this or that in DD that wasn't a problem in the others.

To be honest, the fact that there were more people who responded to attorney badges in this game than in any other thus far was such a nice treat that I personally think made up for some of its minor flaws.

earthlings on fire

D.A. McCoy wrote:
has a very similar feel to my favorite AA games, AJ and GS1.

I can understand it having a similar feel to Apollo Justice because it sort of did but can you explain how you found it similar to GS1? I found it to be the farthest from that game and I'm curious as to why you think this.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Cravat of Doom wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

I can understand it having a similar feel to Apollo Justice because it sort of did but can you explain how you found it similar to GS1? I found it to be the farthest from that game and I'm curious as to why you think this.

Spoiler: Scattered throughout DD
Multiple parallels, from the villain reveals in the intro sequences of the first two cases to the build of the story behind the fifth case. Athena and Apollo's conversation before the first trial day in the 3rd case is reminiscent of Phoenix and Mia's conversation before his first trial. Even the rival prosecutor switched sides at a critical point near the end of the trial in the 3rd case of either game.

Spoiler: TR
Then, there was Phoenix and his confused animal witnesses, very angry prosecutors, and disbelieving legal aids. If only it wasn't Phoenix, but Apollo, then the parallels would be complete.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice how nonchalant Pearl was about Nick calling an orca to the stand? It's almost as if she already knew it was coming... like a certain Kurain Master told her about something similar that happened before.

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Cravat of Doom wrote:
D.A. McCoy wrote:

Like Rubia Silve Ryu pointed out, there are a lot of direct narrative similarities between the two games. The pacing is very similar as well. It feels like time has passed between each case, and case 3 and the DLC case are light-hearted enough to feel like a "midseason" episode of a TV season (meaning not really related to the overall plot) and are higher in quality than the mediocre 2-3, 3-2, and 3-3 (this is my opinion, but it's one I know many fans disagree with me on. I think 1-3 is much better than the cases I just mentioned, while many fans consider 1-3 to be the worst case ever). While JFA and T&T had 2-3, 3-2, and 3-3, they (in my opinion) weren't as well written and Phoenix and Maya were still too involved in their background/set-up.

When a new AA game comes out, I want some cases that are deeply connected to the characters but I also want a couple of cases where it's just the lawyer doing their job with a case that's unrelated to them. I think 5-2 and the DLC case were great examples of this, and while 5-3 relates to Athena and her friendship with Juniper the case doesn't focus on that element.

Overall, I am very happy with the plot/technical elements in DD (although I'm still on Case 3 so it might all go down-hill soon) and if some of the gameplay elements would have been different (examining scenes, easiness of the game) I think it would have been perfect.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Ultimate Survivor

I didn't much care about them removing penalties. I would just save scum in the old games if I messed up anyway, so DD's lessened penalties/no penalties during MM/Psychelock sequences saved me from having to restart.

And when I think back on some of the court sequences, there were still a few big things I messed up on:

Spoiler: Entire game plus TR
5-1: Took me a while to find where in the picture of Apollo the contradiction was. I felt like such an idiot.

5-3: Hugh's testimony. Forget which part exactly - probably the MM segment where you had to show which emotion he SHOULD have been feeling in that particular instance.

5-5: Oh my God it took me forever to pinpoint the right emotion in Fulbright's MM segment. Though this might have had more to do with me not understanding Athena's phrasing - she said something like "find the emotion that doesn't fade!", which I took to mean "find the emotion that doesn't completely disappear." Yeah...that had me tripped up for a while.

TR: That last testimony where you had to prove that the walkie-talkie was Shipley's. I thought this was one of the better thought-out hard spots, though.

...Maybe I just suck at Ace Attorney.

So...yeah. Lessened penalties weren't much of a problem for me. Maybe it would have been nice to see a whole-bar penalty for the last trial (was there one? I can't remember), but overall it didn't really lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Agreed on it being more hand-holdy in general, though, especially during the big reveal in 5-5.

Spoiler: 5-5
"So I lowered the ladder like the detective leading the investigation told me to"...How many times was that repeated? lol.

Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

Surf's Up!

I didn't find it too easy, rather I had quite a difficult time with this game (as opposed to the older games which I can breeze through like a hot knife through butter).

Athena Internet Defense Force

I wouldn't say it was too easy but it was...TRYING to be too easy, we'll go that way.

I did run out of health on quite a few occasions but it was very often due to brute-forcing a solution (or brute-forcing a solution that didn't do me in but drained almost all my health and then I botch something after that).

However I felt like the game didn't need to do the whole "If I just present THAT..." routine on me. That phrase never once told me something I didn't already know myself. I don't think it needed to be laid THAT bare and I am to wonder who would really need such blatant assistance to solve what seemed like pretty minor riddles.

Lunchland Employee

The easiness of the investigations frustrated me at first, for sure. They didn't even give you the chance to move to a location before just moving you there against your will. I liked the addition of the hints notebook, but they didn't need to have that AND all the blatant hand-holding.

At the same time I appreciated some of the added functionality of the investigations, like having multiple views, but it was undercut by not being able to interact with things as much. A lot of the investigations made me sorely miss Ema.

!!! OH! One point that bothered me was
Spoiler:
Athena putting together the Lady Justice statue for you - I really thought we were gonna have a cute put-together-the-statue bit like the Unstable Jar in 1-5.

As for trials, there were a few testimonies that stumped me (I was stuck on Means's testimony for quite a while) but for the most part it was pretty straightforward. I didn't mind that as much as the investigations, though.

In the future being able to examine every environment would be okay.

The red cursor was a good idea but I believe that's the only necessary accommodation.

earthlings on fire

I'd been hoping we'd get to search for fingerprints, since the same materials (with the same icon and everything!) were used in the game... The black-out scene cut really disappointed me. I liked the little mini-games like that-- and with DD trying to introduce new mechanics, I would have thought they would have been right on board with such a thing.
ImageImageImage

Things to stay:
- the highlighted investigation cursor
- checklist
- partner assistance in court if you're not making any headway
- no need for depleting health outside the courtroom
- being able to travel anywhere from anywhere
- continuing the game right at the moment of failure

Things to go:
- dialogue from the protagonist indicating what needs to be presented (that's why we have the partner hints)
- examinations only occurring in fixed locations

Ace Explorer

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
Things to stay:
- checklist

Things to go:
- dialogue from the protagonist indicating what needs to be presented (that's why we have the partner hints)

YES. GOD YES.
Like a lot of people have said, they were pretty bad about this...

Spoiler: GS5-5
I'll admit, I got a little sick of the whole 'detective leading the evacuation' bit, too.

Well? Are we going or what?

Include features that make the game easier for the people who are struggling with it but don't compromise the core game to accommodate that. There are definitely anti-frustration features in this game but the developers didn't seem like that they were that confident they were enough so they started peppering hints directly into the dialogue.

AlonsoSwift wrote:
Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
Things to stay:
- checklist

Things to go:

YES. GOD YES.
Like a lot of people have said, they were pretty bad about this...

Spoiler: GS5-5
I'll admit, I got a little sick of the whole 'detective leading the evacuation' bit, too.

Spoiler:
The first time it showed up was as a rather obvious hint. The next few following repetitions were added for emphasis and extra ham and eggs, all the way up to when he finally presented the profile picture and music cue.

Sadly, those eggs were overcooked.

Poké Maniac & Ace Attorney

In the next game, I'd like to see a difficulty option.

Like,

"Rookie" -- Tutorials and DD-level handholding
"Junior Partner" -- Tutorials but no handholding
"Ace Attorney" -- Just lets you play the game

MJL wrote:

Like,

I actually like that idea. Maybe for the "Ace Attorney" difficulty they could do what dead space 2 did and only allow 3 saves either throughout the entire game or by each case.

earthlings on fire

MJL wrote:

Like,

That would have solved every problem for DD-- go drop off your resume at the Capcom offices; I'd hire you.
ImageImageImage

[Whip the cream!]

I'm watching a playthrough and it seems easy as balls, actually. I get annoyed by how easy it seems and when the player makes a mistake I get annoyed. All those damn flashbacks and ah. Uh.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

There were some very notable parts where it bothered me

Spoiler: Case 2
I love the Thought Route, but it wasn't needed here. We could've just had Apollo say, "Now that we know Damian Temna is the Amazing Nine Tails, this piece of evidence changes meaning, and it's this piece of evidence that'll seal your fate, L'Belle!" or something...

Spoiler: Case 3
If somebody told me they messed up when it was time to finger Aristotle Means as the killer, I would've been shocked. Athena could've said, "Based on Hugh's testimony, a new possibility on who the killer is opened up!" We didn't have to hear her mention the vacant seat again

Spoiler: Case 5
"Detective leading the evacuation" and the last piece of evidence to present. I'm getting really sick of the "seemingly unrelated piece of evidence being the final piece" jig. If you asked me at the beginning of trial what I thought the last piece of presented evidence would be, I would've guessed the earring

Spoiler: DLC
The damn Show Pool. I was actually shocked that they were asking

I can't be the only one with this ship?

Cravat of Doom wrote:

I messed up and picked the Orca pool because it was too easy

Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:
To be honest, the fact that there were more people who responded to attorney badges in this game than in any other thus far was such a nice treat that I personally think made up for some of its minor flaws.

Is this even true? So many people I presented the badge to had little or no reaction to it that I just gave up at one point (and so few people had reactions to any of the other evidence)

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Rubia Silve Ryu wrote:

Is this even true? So many people I presented the badge to had little or no reaction to it that I just gave up at one point (and so few people had reactions to any of the other evidence)

I remember a fair few folk reacting to Attorney's badges....of course by this game there's two other attorneys who present their badges to everyone else as well so it had to happen.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

^ ...What he said.

It makes sense if you think about it. There are more named lawyers (and law students) - from both sides of the court - in this game than in any other single title. Go ahead and count.

Did the Japanese fanbase complain about the game's difficulty a lot as well?

As much as I loved Dual Destinies, I did feel it was too.....handholdy? I get that the creators were trying to be welcoming to new players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What I do think they can do to cater to both parties though is perhaps set a difficulty mode next time? For harder modes, fewer clues, higher penalty bars in certain places, one or two "one wrong answer means game over automatically", etc, etc.

Gardevoir lover

Outside of the last mood matrix, yeah this game was ridiculously easy.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

A Seeker of Truth

I have mixed opinions on the mechanics/difficulty Dual Destines:

Investigation: I like that they streamlined the process of investigation as it could get occasionally tedious in previous games, but I wish we could examine everything just for more optional dialogue, like we used to be able to. We're given efficiency, but they've cut back on our freedom to explore and examine, so it's a trade-off :ron:

Courtroom: I like how there seems to be a lot less trial and error then in the past; it felt frusturating when I had no clear idea as what to do during cross-examination, and I sometimes had to guess which piece of evidence contradicted which statement. Then again, trial and error is part of what made cross-examining fun at the same time; when you had a burst of ingenuity and realized the contradiction, it made you feel so smart. So I both like and hate that more often then not, you're not REALLY ever stuck during cross-examination save for a few instances. :ron:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Page 2 of 3 [ 115 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Themis Legal Academy (GS5)