Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Episode 5: "Turnabout Samurai - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is a general discussion thread for episode tfive of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Samurai - 1st Trial".

Official NicoNico summary to be added later.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode 5: "Turnabout Samurai - 1st Trial"Topic%20Title

Derper

I find this episode the best so far. Sure, they're cutting things short as usual but at least it's not as substantial as what they cut from Turnabout Sisters and what they did add felt fun. Granted, not a lot of people see Turnabout Samurai as substantial but at least it seems that the anime's quality will keep rising for now, especially for Turnabout Goodbyes.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Chronically Unstable

F*CK. MAYA. FEY. I don't think I've ever hated a character so much because of their behaviour, but anime Maya takes the cake. Her voice and reactions are so cringeworthy it was painful. Unbelieveably annoying. Serioulsy, f*ck anime Maya.

Ahem. Enough of that.

First off: the intro was awesome! It felt great to finally see the hero of Neo Olde Tokyo in action, and even catch a glimpse of the episode. Best part of the episode.

Man oh man did Will Powers almost make me cry. So many feels I can't even. Seriously, the way he was handled was pretty good.

I don't really like how the episode showed Manella and Vasquez so quickly. Kinda wish they kept the a secret until the next episode. At least Redd White was kinda kept in the shadows.

The scene with Edgeworth and Manfred was kinda cool, I guess. Then again, I wish he was kept out of the picture - that made his reveal in 1-4 all the more effective.

And, of course, the pacing. I can't believe the entire investigation segment was cut off. Take notes -> trial. Also, I didn't feel excited during the trial. Kinda takes the enjoyment out.

Oh, and the custom music doesn't even fit certain scenes at all. It's so goofy some of the serious moments don't feel right.

In conclusion: a mixed bag. Great opening, adorable Powers, but bad pacing, quick revelations and mismatched music. Oh, and screw Maya.

P.S.: there's an error in the localised subtitles. Gumshoe is called "Scruffy McTrenchcoat" by Oldbag, but it was Franziska who called him like that.

I've been watching on Kissanime so suddenly switching to the Japanese names threw me, guess there's multiple teams working on the translation or something?

Pacing felt a lot better in this one compared to previous episodes and the animation didn't seem as bad either. Thought Maya was great myself.

lol at Penny not even getting a single line, as if she wasn't unimportant enough already

Programmer

I think that it was too much to do the writing equivalent of "and during the rest of the day they continued investigating." I don't really mind them merging and simplifying the Gumshoe and Oldbag segments, that was an okay change. But just fast forwarding the rest? That's just too much.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Pros:
-Hilarious
-Powers is cute
-Maya's samurai moves

Cons:
-Faces, as usual
-Maya's inconsistent eye size and height
-Maya's screaming

Nerd Processor

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
I've been watching on Kissanime so suddenly switching to the Japanese names threw me, guess there's multiple teams working on the translation or something?

Crunchyroll have been doing both. The Western names are actually in their alt track if you're on a computer which watchers have to select by right-clicking (as I normally watch via my iPad I've been having the Japanese names from the beginning). So it was probably still from the same place.
My Ace Attorney FanFiction Thread (Last updated: 5th August 2018)

Best episode of the show.

Animation was better until the courtroom scene, where it fell apart... again.

Directing (aside from the god damn Seiji Kishi tier stuff) was significantly less awkward.

Integration of the music never bothered me.

Everything else was fine too, even if they cut things.

8/10

Though I don't believe it will stay this good tbh.

Oh yeah. Maya is cute and hilarious. Best aspect about the show in general.

What is my liiiife?!?

SPInc wrote:
F*CK. MAYA. FEY. I don't think I've ever hated a character so much because of their behaviour, but anime Maya takes the cake. Her voice and reactions are so cringeworthy it was painful. Unbelieveably annoying. Serioulsy, f*ck anime Maya.

Someone clearly hasn't watched much original language anime.

A Kirby and AA fan

I noticed that the animation looked better overall in this episode. I sure hope they'll keep this up!

henke37 wrote:
I think that it was too much to do the writing equivalent of "and during the rest of the day they continued investigating." I don't really mind them merging and simplifying the Gumshoe and Oldbag segments, that was an okay change. But just fast forwarding the rest? That's just too much.

Yeah, part of me really wished they'd stick to doing one half of the day per episode. So, one investigation segment or one court segment per episode.
Though I do admit that, for as much as they have cut from this episode, it flowed really well

RoyalTanki wrote:
Directing (aside from the god damn Seiji Kishi tier stuff) was significantly less awkward.

What exactly is this?

Gerkuman wrote:
SPInc wrote:

I've watched plenty of anime, so I don't share the opinion that Maya is really annoying and all that. But what I do agree with (even if SPInc didn't explicitly mention this) is that this isn't really the Maya completely as I know her. I am missing the wittiness, the quips, the sass. There's none of that. It's only her childish, playful, passionate side.

I found the intro awesome! The Steel Samurai rules! Maya smacking Nick with her imitation of the samurai hurricane was funny. Plus, Will Powers smacking his head against the glass and not reeling back in pain, that guy's tougher than he looks. The only thing I found annoying was Ms. Oldbag's rambling. I hated it in the original games, and I hate it in the anime as well. :edgeworth:

Chronically Unstable

Gerkuman wrote:
SPInc wrote:

That I have. And I never watch anime dubbed. However, none of the female characters were nearly as annoying as anime Maya.

...although Mikuru from Haruhi was pretty awful.

Quote:
I've watched plenty of anime, so I don't share the opinion that Maya is really annoying and all that. But what I do agree with (even if SPInc didn't explicitly mention this) is that this isn't really the Maya completely as I know her. I am missing the wittiness, the quips, the sass. There's none of that. It's only her childish, playful, passionate side.

It's mostly the voice, really. But yeah, the main duo of the anime lacks their respective characters. Phoenix feels like a generic shounen protagonist, whilst Maya is just some stereotypical cheerful young girl alongside the protagonist.

A Kirby and AA fan

jmkrebs30 wrote:
I found the intro awesome! The Steel Samurai rules! Maya smacking Nick with her imitation of the samurai hurricane was funny. Plus, Will Powers smacking his head against the glass and not reeling back in pain, that guy's tougher than he looks. The only thing I found annoying was Ms. Oldbag's rambling. I hated it in the original games, and I hate it in the anime as well. :edgeworth:

Oh, yeah, speaking of the intro, it was really nice to see a bit of The Steel Samurai. It really helps me realize why Maya (and kids) would really like that show. Before today, I honestly had no mental image to what The Steel Samurai would be like as a show.
I honestly think that the investigation segments in this anime are great, whereas the court segments are mediocre at best. Interestingly, in the games, I looked forward to court. In the anime, I look forward to the investigations.

SPInc wrote:
It's mostly the voice, really. But yeah, the main duo of the anime lacks their respective characters. Phoenix feels like a generic shounen protagonist, whilst Maya is just some stereotypical cheerful young girl alongside the protagonist.

Very true. Maya here actually kind of feels how I'd imagine an anime Kay Faraday, though I imagine Kay's voice to be a bit... raspier? (Not exactly the word I'm looking for, but hopefully you understand what I mean)

*wonk*

Heh. Really liked this one! The Steel Samurai clip was amazing.

I was a LITTLE dissapointed they cut out alot of the investigation, but other than that. Nothing really to complain.

Also.... It also had my favorite moment so far.

Spoiler:
OBJECTIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Oldbag...
yes

Nurio wrote:
RoyalTanki wrote:

What exactly is this?

I've explained the directing thing in the past, but whatever, I'll explain in more depth.

I guess I should explain who Seiji Kishi is first.

Seiji Kishi is a Japanese anime director, who commonly works with the anime studios like AIC, GONZO, and Lerche. He is a pretty prolific director with a lot of shows in his portfolio, many of which being game adaptations. Probably the thing that is most noticeable about his adaptation work is how... faithful they are. To a point where to many people (including myself) is very bothersome.

It can be rather bothersome in manga adaptations like Assassination Classroom, but he takes it to a whole new level with his video game adaptations. By awkwardly forcing in game play elements where they don't need to be. One very obvious example is in his adaptation of Persona 4, where he included the screen from the game where it tells you when it skips to a new day, it was completely ripped from the game and was a lazy cop out so that he didn't have to think about how to transition between days himself, and he can hide behind the fact that it's "for the fans", of course, there is no way of proving this is his line of thinking, but bringing into consideration how lazy his other works are, it is at least plausible.

On top of being lazy, it is just incredibly tacky in general, and has no reason to be there.

That brings us to Ace Attorney, where they bring in the text boxes, the objection bubbles, ect.

It is tacky and unneeded, I can only count one time where it impacted anything whatsoever, that being in this episode where Oldbag objects, which was done for a gag (Which was a pretty funny one to be honest), that moment aside, it never adds to anything, and is just tacky and awkwardly implemented. They don't need the objection bubbles when objecting, it is pointless, it adds nothing. The text boxes are just a lazy cop-out so the writers don't have to think if a smarter way to introduce plot and character elements, they are unneeded. Completely unnecessary.

A Kirby and AA fan

Okay, I understand now, though I disagree that it's a bad thing. I like the objection bubbles. They have great impact. The text boxes don't bother me in the slightest.
You could call them a cop-out, but they allow quick transitions and less time spent on introductions, so focus can be on other things

I LOVED seeing the Steel Samurai bit at the beginning. This is actually one of my favorite cases, and I love the Steel Samurai theme. I thought the majority of the animation felt more fluid, and I was loving seeing them out in the world investigating. That was my favorite part of the episode. I was really surprised how they suddenly did a fast-forward on investigation and cut to them arriving at court building.

Meh, I may have gotten used to anime girl voices a bit. Her voice is high, yeah, but there seem to not be a lot of variance in female anime voices.

A Kirby and AA fan

Speaking of the Steel Samurai bit at the beginning... Did it look low-res to anyone else? It was great, but I swear I could count the pixels. It was especially noticeable with how jagged the lines looked.
I simply figured it probably looked that way since it's supposedly displayed from a TV screen in the office, but it still looked a bit odd

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Those don't look like burgers

All the localization team needs to do is alter 5 pixels.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I see your history in this episode, Watanabe. It's making me feel so nostalgic...

I don't care about the rest of the series anymore. I just want a Steel Samurai anime.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Nurio wrote:
Speaking of the Steel Samurai bit at the beginning... Did it look low-res to anyone else? It was great, but I swear I could count the pixels. It was especially noticeable with how jagged the lines looked.
I simply figured it probably looked that way since it's supposedly displayed from a TV screen in the office, but it still looked a bit odd

It did. I checked my res to make sure it was at 720 while I was watching and then came to the same conclusion that you did: that it was supposed to look like that because it was a TV screen.

Art Person

I love how they show off Dee, Sal AND Cody all before they're meant to, yet they randomly show Penny (after never meeting her) in that shot where Nick's thinking of who to accuse

Spoiler:

Master of sharp things!

SuperAj3 wrote:
I love how they show off Dee, Sal AND Cody all before they're meant to, yet they randomly show Penny (after never meeting her) in that shot where Nick's thinking of who to accuse

Spoiler:

They did meet Penny, at the end of the investigation day right before the mid-episode break. It's a non-speaking appearance, but it's clear that they interviewed her at least.

Art Person

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:

Spoiler:

They did meet Penny, at the end of the investigation day right before the mid-episode break. It's a non-speaking appearance, but it's clear that they interviewed her at least.

They did? I knew someone was gonna point that out XD I must've missed it (I watch the show having lunch, so I probably walked off when they showed her) EDIT: Just re-watched and yeah, they showed her for a few seconds XD

Still it all felt rushed, especially with them getting Cody's book straight away.

Dragongirl

Bolt Storm wrote:
This is a general discussion thread for episode tfive of the Ace Attorney anime, "Turnabout Samurai - 1st Trial".

Official NicoNico summary to be added later.

Seeing a kid's show like the made up Steel Samurai from this series, reminds me of the 1990's Mighty Morphing Power Rangers I use to watch back then. I don't know why... :D Good episode there.
My name is Tayla 'Marie' Drago Hester, the number one Anime lover and supporter of all voice actors. Who also loves Ace Attorney things! :D

Enoshima Junko-chan!

The stepladder was right there and they didn't do the thing

i may not know much

I feel like people are gonna get burned out with the cases being divides into 24m eps, especially with some of the longer cases. Adaptation wise tho, the show's been on point af.

What is my liiiife?!?

CaptainCanti wrote:
I feel like people are gonna get burned out with the cases being divides into 24m eps, especially with some of the longer cases.

As opposed to what?

Apollon Flame

I concur that investigations feel bare bones because they're being cut short and the focus is going to courtroom scenes, but usually, the drama on Ace Attorney unravels on the courtroom, not on the investigation scenes. With that in mind, this might be the reason to believe that, of all the 24 minutes they have to make an episode, they focus on court. And I feel as if this episode is more focused on the trial than on the investigation compared with Turnabout Sisters. But it's obvious that Turnabout Sisters would focus on investigation, seeing as how as what happened, though.

As to the Objection! bubble and the textbox: it feels like a very good and cool implemented gimmick. Especially the Objection! bubble. It adds to the drama. What adds to the drama, but I don't like because it doesn't feel realistic, is energy released on the courtroom, haha. That bit when Phoenix objects to Frank Sahwit and his energy blows away his wig is hilarious, but over the top. xD
A King

in name

alone...

The Real Human Being

SPInc wrote:
F*CK. MAYA. FEY. I don't think I've ever hated a character so much because of their *behavior, but anime Maya takes the cake. Her voice and reactions are so cringeworthy it was painful. *Unbelievably annoying. *Seriously, f*ck anime Maya.

Way to admit to having shit taste m8.

Now, on to my review....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000000/10 had Maya.

That Maya though, I had the biggest smile on my face despite watching this episode at 3 am sitting outside a Starbucks stealing their wifi, this episode made my weekend (and those have been pretty shitty for me lately.)

It did bother me that Penny didn't get to talk, they better not take the fact that she's a nerd for the cards out, (that's a big part of the case in the game!)

I like this episode the most so far, because It's not as heavy in the subject matter as the last one, (i.e Mia being dead.)

Programmer

I wouldn't call something that came up once, for less than five minutes and had no impact on the story at large a big part. It's not even used as character development.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Apollon Flame

henke37 wrote:
I wouldn't call something that came up once, for less than five minutes and had no impact on the story at large a big part. It's not even used as character development.

I think what the fellow member is trying to say is that it adds a lot to Penny's and Zack's character.
A King

in name

alone...

The Real Human Being

henke37 wrote:

Phoenix having the card that zack wanted was the whole reason they could even talk with him!
Penny trading the card moved the plot forward, it was important!

i may not know much

Gerkuman wrote:
As opposed to what?

I dunno. I'm not saying there's a better way to do it, I'm just saying that people could get burned out on it.

A Kirby and AA fan

Scent wrote:
henke37 wrote:

I think what the fellow member is trying to say is that it adds a lot to Penny's and Zack's character.

When you have zero personality, every little bit is seen as a big addition, I suppose... :ron:

ASCEND

Seeing part of an episode of the Steel Samurai was probably the coolest part of this episode! I had wanted to see something like that for a while, so I'm glad they did that in this episode!
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Apollon Flame

My favorite aspect of the Animé is that we get to see more of the world of Ace Attorney not restricted to the backgrounds we get. :>
A King

in name

alone...

The cape is self-fluttering

I lol'd at Dee using Sal as a chair (even though there is official art of that).

Wasn't sure about the cameo from von Karma at first, but now I think it's a good thing. At least his appearance in Turnabout Goodbyes won't feel so 'out of left field.'

Edgeworth blushing! That's so cute.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gardevoir lover

I need a Steel Samurai series. That intro was freaking awesome!

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Beware of the Dog

This episode was really decent and fun, the best for me until now.
Spoiler:
When Phoenix said that Oldback could have worn the costume to be unrecognisable on the security footage, I somehow expected a comment from Edgeworth (How is that camera a problem for her when she can delete footages with the explanation that they aren't important?) but he remained silent. Kinda strange.

Aside from that, I hope EDGEWORTH will not bow in front of that glass while in detention because... Simply no. :edgeworth:
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Neo Olde Tokyo