Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 2 of 71[ 2837 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next

Re: Favorite PW Pairings, Part Two!Topic%20Title

Science: It's cuter than ever

OKAY. EDGEYXLANA RANT TIME.
..And I don't even KNOW why. It's not like it's my OTP or anything >>; I...think...
*cough*RAMBLING ASIDE, ~SPOILER WARNINGS FOR CASES 1-4 AND 1-5 AS WELL AS JFA~
First of all, as always, this is merely my opinion and I don't mind if you disagree with it. Also, although this is not baseless conjecture, a lot of it is conjecture nonetheless. There's also the problem with him prosecuting her in case 5, but from the sounds of it he was sort of forced into the position. Also, based on his stance in that case that the most important job of a lawyer was to find the truth, there's the possibility that he simply did not trust any other prosecutor with the case and wanted to find out the truth for himself. He also seemed to be feeling a little betrayed by her actions, so that would be another reason for him to want to personally figure out what had really happened.

In-game Interactions
The first scene that made me think of this pairing was when you first went to Edgeworth's office in case 5 and he was telling you about the case. I believe the scene went something like this: (paraphrasing on Ema's quote)
Edgeworth Until now, I'd always thought she was looking out for me. It appears I was mistaken.
Ema Don't say that! I mean, I know she's not the warmest person...But I'm sure she felt some responsibility for you!
Edgeworth Then...why? Why did you she stab someone in the back of my car? Not only that...she stabbed him with my knife.

Now, the inital impression I got from this part, especially with all the previous comparisons of Lana and Mia, that Edgeworth was upset because he viewed Lana as a sort of mentor the way Mia was to Phoenix (which is just conjecture, but not entirely baseless, I think), that he just respected her (presumably) great talent and intelligence. But then when I thought about it more, the way he worded it was sort of strange for him. First of all, considering him you'd expect him to be emphasising the fact that someone he respected commited the crime of murder, especially since he has such a passionate hatred of crime. But he didn't say something along the lines of "I thought she was a good person, but it appears I was wrong." "...then why? Why did she kill someone?" Instead, the way he phrased it seemed more along the lines of "I thought she liked me, but she was framing me for murder." You can say that's reading into things a bit much, but either way it's undeniable that he was hurt that she would try to frame him for the crime.

Also, the phrasing of this statement (yes, I CAN write multiple paragraphs of a pairing rant based on TWO sentences of dialogue, I'm insane that way) gave me the idea that he not only respected her as a prosecutor, but respected her as a person as well. The reason being that in case 1-4 when Manfred, who, like Lana, was somebody he looked up to due to their talent and superior position, was trying to find him guilty of murder, he viewed it from his normal professional, detached standpoint. He didn't show any emotion about the fact that somebody he deeply respected was trying to hurt him personally. However, with Lana, this was not the case. Instead, he openly showed his hurt at her betrayal. Now, emotions are tricky things for him, and he normally only tries to express them when it involves someone close to him, otherwise he generally stays detached. Long story short, his showing emotion at her actions made me think he liked her not only professionally, but personally, too. (woahthereI'mramblywhat).

The second scene I noticed was at the very end of the case, when she was thanking him and Phoenix. Hmm...I don't remember the exact dialogue, but I think it was something along the lines of

Lana You've suffered just as much as I have the last few days. Believe me, I know how much of an ordeal it's been to you. I thought you would crack under the weight of it all. Yet you've stayed strong and managed to guide Mr. Wright to victory. You've done well.
Edgeworth ! Stop, please! I was only doing my job...

Okay, first, what I got out of that from Lana's side:
The way she thanked Edgeworth was, as far as I can remember, distinctly different from the way she thanked Phoenix. When she was thanking Phoenix, she basically said how grateful she was to him for basically saving her life as well as Ema's. But when she was thanking Edgeworth, she included more about him personally during that time. It's obvious she understands what he's been going through and it's obvious she cares about him in at least a mentor sort of way.
From Edgeworth's side, though his reaction was brief I thought it was particularly interesting, and here's why: Before that scene, there were two main situations that caused him to act flustered: Social situations ("WHOOOOOOP! ...Erm, I'm really not good at this sort of thing..."), and when he was angry or annoyed (like when his witnesses weren't cooperating--Angel, Redd, and Oldbag, for instance). This was one of the first times I noticed him being flustered due to being shown affection.

Third and last scene:
At the very end, when Edgeworth was angsting and wanting to give up, and Lana was encouraging him. ......I REALLY don't remember the dialogue for this though, since it was longer than the others posted.

For me, this scene showed me one thing very clearly: Lana is absolutely PERFECT at dealing with Edgeworth. First, at the very beginning of this scene, when he was being all "SOCIALSITUATIONNOD=*HIDES*" and she was like "GET OVER HERE NAO D<" it was very clear to me that she has no intention of coddling him--and that's a good thing, because at the same time that he's absolutely wonderful he's also very flawed and needs someone who's willing to tell him that.
But at the same time, she's also very compassionate with him, too, which is important considering his personality and everything he's been through. She understands him, and she understands how to get through to him. In this scene, she knew exactly why he was hurting, and she knew exactly what to tell him. (granted, he still left after that game anyway, but considering everything he's been through it's not like he's going to change his mind through one conversation--besides, he needed some time to get away and heal). One example of this is when he's talking about how he's afraid he might actually commit a crime, and he can't continue on because the possibility scares him. Lana immediately knows that, although he only mentions Gant, he's also thinking about von Karma too, and she also knows what the difference between Edgeworth and von Karma is so that she can reassure him of it.

Personality

I think that their characters complement each other perfectly, and I already talked about this above so I'll try to keep it brief, but I think having a compassionate yet honest person like Lana around is really good for Edgeworth, and I also think they have very similar personalities and intelligent levels so not many misunderstandings would arise between them. Based on them as characters, I can see this as developing as a very healthy relationship, with not many faults. She also seems to be much better at conveying her emotion and at her people skills than him, so she can help him with that.

One of the only flaws I see in this relationship is it's lopsidedness. Almost all of my points so far have been pertaining to Edgeworth. She would no doubt be very beneficial to him, but as she has no major faults (after she warms up because she's free of the blackmailing, I mean) there's not much for him to help her with. However, as he is a very intelligent and good person, I don't think it's out of the question for her to have affection for him, and I think it would still be somewhat of a healthy relationship.

Possibility

The possibility of this pairing existing basically lies between SL-9 to when she is arrested, and then again after she gets out of jail. Now, we have no idea what Lana has been up to after she was released. We also don't know exactly how much jailtime she got. Also, there's the gap of time where he was "dead," and since I haven't played GS3 there may be other gaps of time I'm not knowing about. Also, from what Ema said I'm fairly convinced that somewhere in there Lana was together with Jake, however I think they broke up either during or before SL-9 so that wouldn't interfere too much.

While she was working as the Chief Prosecutor especially, they had similar positions in financial and social standing as well as job, and they were of the opposite sex, so there would not have been many barriers socially for them to overcome were they to be a couple. She WAS five years older than him, but I don't think that was a large gap or a big deal.

In Summary...

I believe a relationship between Edgeworth and Lana would be possible timewise and socially, as well as personality-wise. The SL-9 connection is interesting, and considering their characters I believe a relationship between them would be healthy and not filled with too many problems. I also believe it would be very cute based on a few scenes in the game.

Last edited by SilverZephyr on Thu May 17, 2007 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

ROCK AND ROLL! HIGH SPEED!

Location: Inside Edgey's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell him I'm here!

That's one long essay... o_o convincing, but I'm sticking with canons and my personal favorites.

New favorite (I'm half serious.)
:D Pesu/ Missle ! You know they're perfect for each other!
My art thread!
My sprite thread! Calando in progress
Phoenix Wright and co.:Ace Mythbusters! Myth 2 finished
First AA fanfic: Childhood Turnabout (finished)
And my devart site
My billboard signature! *gets pelted with tomatoes*

This is not spy

Android 21 3/7 wrote:
That's one long essay... o_o convincing, but I'm sticking with canons and my personal favorites.

AWWW.

They'll have puppies Edgeworth will be like "EEEEEEEEEPUPPIES".

*bricked*

My DeviantART account

Sexy Angie icon by me, sorry dudes. No stealing here, please.

Android 21 3/7 wrote:

Yes, well, I have too much time on my hands >>;
And like I said, everyone is of course entitled to their own opinions on pairings ^^ It's all for fun and all that.

AND OMFG SOMEBODY BESIDES ME SHIPS PESUXMISSILE *SPAZGASM*
It would be totally cute if while Gummy was having his mancrush on Edgeworth, Gummy's puppy was fanboying over Edgey's puppy XD <3 And Pesu would be like "YOUARESUCHANUNSOPHISTICATEDDOG, DON'T YOU /EVER/ GET YOUR FUR GROOMED YOU LOOK LIKE A RAT'S NEST AND /WHY/ AREN'T YOU WEARING A CRAVAT?!" ...Wait...I just made Pesu sound like Oldbag...Creepy thought o.0
And of course, Edgeworth would be squeeing over the puppies. Because. Um. He's secretly cute that way >>

Fabu♥

Phoenix x Maya Fey My number one OTP

Also
Edgeworth x Franziska They're not real brother and sister, so it could be more of a best friends, grow up and see more in each other kinda thing going on.

Detective Gumshoe x Maggy Dude, he clearly has a crush on her. I'm not saying she may like him back, but it's still a possiblity. It's more a fluffy love I'm seeing :3

Javado x Young Mia Well...duh.

Yuusaku x Mareka Do I even have to explain?

Grossburg x Wendy Oldbag DON'T YOU GUYS KNOW THIS IS SO TOTALLY CANON? D<

Erm yeah...in case you couldn't tell, I'm a total het fan XD;
Though I don't mind Edgy x Phoenix once in a while....
ImageImage

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Not being biologically related doesn't mean that they aren't brother and sister. Maybe less so on Edgey's end since he met her when he was 9, but... Fran was *2* when Edgey came to live with them. She's grown up with him. Are you saying that if I were adopted, my family would cease to be my family?

That's just why it still screams emotional incest to me.

But this is a post for the least favorite pairings thread, so... :P
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

raging klavier crush

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Are you saying that if I were adopted, my family would cease to be my family?

Guess I'd better call up my brother and inform him we aren't real siblings, we're just like close friends who grew up together!

Er, I don't think LySs was trying to deny their close sibling bond or anything like that. For me, personally, the only problem I have with incest is when it's blood het--i.e. they can have children with birth defects. It's just not something that squicks me personally, which is why I can like that pairing. It's not that I deny that they consider each other siblings, it's just that it's not something that bothers me.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I'm certainly not trying to bash you for not liking incest, just presenting my point of view ^^;

raging klavier crush

SilverZephyr wrote:
Er, I don't think LySs was trying to deny their close sibling bond or anything like that. For me, personally, the only problem I have with incest is when it's blood het--i.e. they can have children with birth defects. It's just not something that squicks me personally, which is why I can like that pairing. It's not that I deny that they consider each other siblings, it's just that it's not something that bothers me.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I'm certainly not trying to bash you for not liking incest, just presenting my point of view ^^;

It's not that anyone likes Fran/Miles or doesn't have a problem with incest. That's fine.

But they're brother and sister. They see each other as brother and sister. Not as "best friends who grew up together". And if, as you said, you really like them as a ship while taking that into account, that's fantastic. But there's no reason to try to somehow neutralize that they're siblings to make it so it's "not incest".

Raelle wrote:
SilverZephyr wrote:

It doesn't make a difference to me if someone likes Fran/Miles. That's fine.

But they're brother and sister. They see each other as brother and sister. Not as "best friends who grew up together". And if, as you said, you really like them as a ship while taking that into account, that's fantastic. But there's no reason to try to somehow neutralize that they're siblings to make it so it's "not incest".

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Not minding incest is one thing, but denying that they view each other as siblings is another, correct? In which case, I agree with you entirely.

North-Going Zax

It seems that SilverZephyr has sold me on Lana / Edgeworth . (Not to the point where it displaces my lurv for Big Gay Lawyers, but anyway).

And now curse you, I must write smut for it. Ack

hyacynth wrote:
It seems that SilverZephyr has sold me on Lana / Edgeworth . (Not to the point where it displaces my lurv for Big Gay Lawyers, but anyway).

And now curse you, I must write smut for it. Ack

...IF YOU DO WRITE SMUT FOR IT, SHARE IT PLSKTHNX @_@

Ah, really glad I managed to convince somebody =D

North-Going Zax

When I do, it'll probably end up linked @ the lj igiari community...

nuuuuu, stoooooop

A little late, but in Case 5 didn't they say that Jake/Lana were almost an item, until...the unfortunate happened, and Lana went cold and Jake went drunk?

Or was it really Neil/Lana? I should go ask Silverwind~~
ImageImage

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
A little late, but in Case 5 didn't they say that Jake/Lana were almost an item, until...the unfortunate happened, and Lana went cold and Jake went drunk?

Jake/Lana was more strongly implied than Neil/Lana. (Even I can admit it! ::sob:: )

Croik wrote:

I believe they did hint Lana/Jake because I remember the part where Ema asks Jake why he wasn't as friendly as he used to be back when he and Lana were close. That, and Ema was always so worried about Jake being one of Angel's (many many) boyfriends.

Yeah, JakexLana was more heavily hinted, especially in this scene:
Marshall *says something I don't remember about Lana being the murderer*
Ema Mr. Marshall...How can you say that?! You and Lana, you were--
Marshal ! ................
Marshall Sorry Bambina, something must have got to me for a moment.
Phoenix Huh? Is there something between Jake and her sister that I don't know about?
And then later:
Ema Ms. Starr...You and Mr. Marshall...are you...going out?
Angel Starr ...Why do you want to know?
Ema I just wanted to know what happened to him? He used to be so nice. He got along with my sister so well, it made me jealous.
(am I detecting a bit of Ema->Jake...?)

Actually, wasn't there an AngelxJake scene too? Wasn't there a part where Angel was talking to one of her "boyfriends" and Jake was there, and Angel said to Phoenix "Didn't I tell you? I have three boyfriends in criminal affairs." It wasn't really STATED that Jake was the boyfriend in that scene, but it was implied, wasn't it?

Gah. Case 5 has by far the most confusing web of semi-canon pairings ><;

This is not spy

I agree. It WAS confusing. x__x

But... I don't remember seeing any Lana/Neil hints. I probably forgot if there were. oo; Could someone remind me?

On JakexAngel: This couple was implied a lot. What struck me as odd though is when she said she and Jake were "merely cooperating". If they were (or had been) dating, I see no reason for her to lie about it. I'm confused. >_>;

On JakexLana: The most interesting in my eyes. If they HAD been dating, their split would have been because of the whole SL-9 mess. After Phoenix cleared it up, I think it's possible they could get back together. I always thought them getting back together might be a bit rough. But in the end Jake said that Phoenix "gave bambina her smile back" (not exact, but whatever). It seemed like he was relieved that Lana was "back". So getting back together might not be so hard. I'm not sure if he was talking about Ema or Lana. Probably Lana.

Jake's just a pimp.

My DeviantART account

俺の黄金の魔女

Phoenix Edgeworth

This post contains spoilers for all three games

All right, I promised (threatened?) some people I would do this, so here it goes. My justification for liking Phoenix and Edgeworth as a couple. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to say that Phoenix and Edgeworth are officially a couple within in the game. They’re not. But I love them anyway~

PHOENIX:

Let’s start off with friendship. I notice a lot of people who don’t seem to understand the appeal of the couple say Phoenix and Edgeworth are “just friends”. Yes, friendship is a huge facet of their relationship. My issue is with the “just”.

Friendship is important to Phoenix. Take, for example, Larry. When Larry gets in a jam in 1-1, Phoenix is there for him without question. Even though he knows Larry is a spaz, and that he probably won’t even get paid for his efforts, Phoenix wouldn’t even dream of NOT defending him. Even if the situation was of Larry’s own making, it’s hard to imagine that Phoenix would ever abandon him. So it’s only natural he do the same for Edgeworth, right? Of course.

But…there is one large difference between Larry and Edgeworth. Phoenix has known Larry his entire life. How long did he know Edgeworth? A year. And, of that year, they were only really close friends for a portion of it. Yet in that single year, Edgeworth had enough impact on him that Phoenix was willing to change his entire chosen profession and enter the world of law…to save him. For someone he hadn’t even seen since he was NINE YEARS OLD.

Now, how many of us can say we would do the same for someone under similar circumstances? How many of us would change our majors in college because someone we’d only known for a year back in grade school had bad RUMORS about them printed in the paper? How can that be “just” friendship? Friendship is doing everything you can to help someone, but it doesn’t include making radically life altering decisions based on them.

Phoenix trying to get into contact with Edgeworth after hearing the rumors is natural. That is something a friend would do for another friend, even someone estranged from us. But changing majors? Deciding that you will save them from themselves? That’s above and beyond the call of “just friendship”. That’s not to say it’s romantic love, but trying to say it’s something “anyone would do for a friend” doesn’t cut it.

And that’s not all. It becomes even more amazing when you take Phoenix’s personality into consideration. Phoenix practically embodies the law of inertia. He takes maybe four cases a year on average. Of these cases, disregarding the ones not directly involved with his friends, there has been only one he’s taken of his own accord without Maya or outside forces pressing him to do so. (3-2) In other words, Phoenix isn’t exactly a go getter until you’ve actually gotten him moving.

So this guy, who has to be pressured into taking jobs, deliberately changed the entire course of his life to save Edgeworth.

Think about how huge that is.

No one was prompting him to save Edgeworth. No one told him that he should become a lawyer to save Edgeworth. No one told him Edgeworth needed his help. Phoenix SAW all those things based on a few articles in the news and reacted according, of his own volition. Edgeworth wasn’t even in mortal danger.

At the end of 3-1 he still makes it a point to tell Mia that he’s going to become a lawyer to save a friend. You would think that he would be too torn up by what happened to him, but even then Edgeworth is still on his mind. His focal point. His goal.

Phoenix can be surprisingly selfish when it comes to Edgeworth. “I'm the only one who knows the real Edgeworth.” Who is he talking to there? Well, one of them is Larry, the other boy that knew Edgeworth for the exact same amount of time that Phoenix did. Yet Phoenix is asserting that HE has a special bond with Edgeworth, that only Phoenix can understand Edgeworth’s pain. Phoenix has a special worth to Edgeworth that no one else has.

His faith in Edgeworth is such that he refuses to believe that Edgeworth could possibly kill someone even on accident. Even when that’s what the evidence points to, Phoenix holds firm. Going so far as to yell at Maya and Grossberg that he believes in Edgeworth no matter what, even at the cost of all common sense.

In the second game, after Edgeworth vanishes, Phoenix undergoes a subtle, but strong change. It’s most obvious when Maya mentions Edgeworth’s name and Phoenix snaps at her—even when she’s facing the death penalty! But it also pervades the way he thinks about things. Phoenix has nightmares about going into court. He dismisses all prosecutors as being hateful and selfish. He has flashbacks to Edgeworth and has to violently pull himself away from thinking about him.

Here’s the thing I think a lot of people miss. Phoenix knows, at this point, that Edgeworth isn’t dead. He isn’t reacting this way out of pain from a friend dying, his reaction stems from bitterness at feeling personally betrayed. He would rather think of Edgeworth as dead, THAT’S how strong his bitterness is. It’s a very personal reaction. In 3-3, we get a glimpse of how strongly Phoenix feels about betrayal, as well he should considering his past. But even his reaction there is subdued compared to the way he reacts to Edgeworth’s name in GS2. (Which does make sense, Edgeworth’s “betrayal” is more recent, but it’s still food for thought.)

Also, keep in mind GS2 took place over the course of a year. Yet his bitterness wasn’t fading with time, it was growing stronger. Another interesting bit that people seem to miss? Phoenix is deliberately paralleled with Franziska, by Acro. The game goes out of its way to say both of them are similar. What is Franziska’s focal point, what is her driving force in this game? It’s Miles Edgeworth.

And when Edgeworth returns, that bitterness comes flowing out with a vengeance. Phoenix can’t even set aside his pain even though Edgeworth is trying to help find Maya. He lashes out at him whenever they meet. He’s wary. He’s been hurt. He says as much at the end of the trial, that Edgeworth’s vanishing felt like a personal betrayal.

But they worked through it, and came out the stronger for it.

The Phoenix/Edgeworth relationship is complicated. Phoenix knows where he stands with Maya, he has defined her place in his life. That definition is “the person closest to me”, which is incredibly touching and sweet. It’s painfully obvious that he loves her so much. But with Edgeworth…words aren’t enough. He CAN’T describe his relationship to Edgeworth with words alone. It’s too complex. Not all of it is good, not all of it is perfect, but it’s huge and complex and it defies simple description.

EDGEWORTH:

If Phoenix had never shown up, it’s not as though Edgeworth would have died. He would have turned into von Karma, twisted, bitter, and hateful. Phoenix might not have saved his life, but he saved him from becoming a monster. And for a long time, Edgeworth couldn’t forgive him for even reappearing in his life.

Phoenix drove Edgeworth to distraction in the first game. It’s obvious that Edgeworth still had “unnecessary feelings” concerning Phoenix, even as far back as 1-2, when he felt obligated to warn him about what he was up against. In 1-3, he couldn’t stop himself from helping Phoenix, even at the cost of his win. Phoenix was a reminder of what Edgeworth used to be, and he couldn’t help but respond to that. And it drove him crazy. Gumshoe tells us as much. Walking around muttering “Wright, Wright, Wright”? Not exactly a confirmation of love, but it certainly shows Phoenix was on his mind. :p

Then, in 1-4, Edgeworth was brought the lowest he’s ever been. Accused of murder, without anyone willing to defend him. And then there is Phoenix Wright sitting across from him, chomping at the bit to “rescue” him. I believe Edgeworth pushing Phoenix away in this case was because he really didn’t want Phoenix to know how he had become what he did. Phoenix…made Edgeworth ashamed.

After all, it was Phoenix especially that he didn’t want defending him. It was Phoenix especially that he wanted to keep away from DL-6. He even admits later on that when he was being rude to Phoenix, he didn’t really mean it. He just wanted him to stay away no matter what.

But Phoenix unearthing these “feelings” had dramatic consequences for Edgeworth. By not being able to hide from his past any more, he found the strength to face up to what he thought had happened—it just turned out to be horrifically wrong. And Phoenix saved him and found out what really happened. It was hard for Edgeworth to deal with, especially in the next case, when he was confronted with what he could easily become if Phoenix hadn’t been there, if Phoenix had given up from all the times Edgeworth pushed him away.

It wasn’t fair to leave the way he did. I think Edgeworth realizes that in GS2 when he comes back. He accepts Phoenix’s bitterness and anger as his due. He even tells Phoenix that he doesn’t hate him. Edgeworth went on a soul-searching journey, and for most people it might be enough to find the answer for themselves.

But Edgeworth doesn’t feel that way. He comes back to share his answer even though he knows Phoenix will be angry. He knows that Phoenix has a RIGHT to be angry, but what’s more important is that he knows that Phoenix is also falling into a trap somewhat similar to the one he was in a year ago. It’s not enough to want to save people—even though Edgeworth was saved by Phoenix. What’s really important is being able to search for and face the truth. And to do that, you need two people willing to struggle for it.

That person, to Miles Edgeworth, is Phoenix Wright.

And, even though 1-5 planted the seed, GS2 is what allowed their partnership to bloom. 2-4 has Phoenix coming to the slow but sure realization that even though he felt betrayed by what Edgeworth did, he still trusts him. He trusts him with Maya’s life. He trusts that together, they can somehow find a way to put Matt behind bars, save Adrian, and rescue Maya, even with impossible odds.

I love how at the end of 2-4, Phoenix automatically knows what Edgeworth needs when he’s going to go off and talk to Franziska. He even knows where Edgeworth going. Neither of them had to say a single word. Between these two, words are often awkward, but sometimes they have these amazing moments where their awareness transcends the need for words at all. And they still understand.

In terms of how much Phoenix means to Edgeworth, you can’t go without mentioning 3-5. I’m sure many of you heard that Edgeworth chartered a jet to go help Phoenix, but that’s really just the tip of the iceberg. Edgeworth isn’t exactly thrilled to be back in town, especially considering the circumstances. He has mixed feelings about pretending to be a defense attorney, for quite a few reasons.

But one thing he NEVER wavers on is that he is there for Phoenix. When he talks about how Phoenix is suffering to Ayame, you can tell that he wants to ease Phoenix’s pain, even if it means telling Ayame outright that she WILL tell Phoenix what’s going on or he won’t take her case. And when he talks about how he knows Phoenix is the last person that she wanted to know her secret, I believe there is a tinge of recognition. How could there not be? It was only two years earlier that he was sitting in jail, trying to protect his own “dirty” past from the only person who, for some unfathomable reason, still wanted to help him.

He’s been in that situation.

And when he is in court, facing his sister, he draws on what he knows of Phoenix to keep him going. When Fran tells him he looks like Phoenix Wright when he’s cornered, and Edgeworth thinks to himself that it’s because he IS Phoenix Wright when he’s cornered…he knows Phoenix. He knows when he’s hurting, even if Phoenix refuses to tell him why. He knows that the badge Phoenix gave him is a symbol of the trust Phoenix is putting in him, and he won’t let that trust down.

Even though he can’t seem to stop himself from prying into what’s going on between Phoenix and Ayame, and he seems to be bitter when Phoenix won’t talk to him about Chinami, he still works towards what he thinks will allow Phoenix to free himself from whatever is causing him pain.

There is no one like Phoenix Wright for Miles Edgeworth. Phoenix is irreplaceable.

TOGETHER:

You know, I’ve talked about these two at length, so I’ll try to keep this short. I’d just like you to think back to a few moments.

Let’s think back to what happened after Edgeworth confessed in 1-4. Even Gumshoe was forced to admit that Edgeworth must be guilty! After all, he’d admitted it himself, right? Phoenix wouldn’t listen. When not even Edgeworth himself could believe any more, Phoenix still had unwavering faith.

Let’s think back to 2-4, when Phoenix was put in the position of throwing everything he believed in aside for the sake of Maya. Who was there standing across from him? Who was the one that made Phoenix believe that everything would be all right, simply because he was there? Miles Edgeworth, who coaxed, bullied and cajoled until he made Phoenix see the truth he’d struggled for the past year to find.

And, let’s think back to 1-5. Against impossible odds, not even quite understanding one another, these two worked together like a well oiled machine. It was something that came to them so naturally, so perfectly that even they weren’t quite aware of it.

Together, they can do anything.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I’ve just spent more than five pages talking about Phoenix and Edgeworth’s relationship in the game. Why do you think I did that? It’s because people tend to want to downplay the importance they have to one another. Phoenix and Edgeworth are unique to one another in a way no other characters in the series can duplicate. Does this mean that they are in love with one another IN CANON? No.

But I get so tired of people dismissing the possibility outright, of mocking fangirls for being “shallow”, “misreading’, and just “liking it based on looks”. A Phoenix/Miles relationship has its share of problems, but that is what makes it fascinating and wonderful. I think an amazing relationship could form. All the ingredients are there. These two men have inspired, challenged, and protected one another throughout the games.

Phoenix and Edgeworth might not be “in love” with one another, but I don’t think anyone can honestly deny that they love one another, if they really take the chance to think about it.

ROCK AND ROLL! HIGH SPEED!

Location: Inside Edgey's closet. Shhhh! Don't tell him I'm here!

While I don't support the pairing in the romantic sense, I do really love their... what's the word? Dynamic?

It's just as you say. They work so well together. What one lacks, the other can compensate.

You are as articulate as ever, Musouka.
My art thread!
My sprite thread! Calando in progress
Phoenix Wright and co.:Ace Mythbusters! Myth 2 finished
First AA fanfic: Childhood Turnabout (finished)
And my devart site
My billboard signature! *gets pelted with tomatoes*

Defend til the End!

Yay, the thread is back! And now, mini-essays from me.

Phoenix/ Maya Fey
I first got into this pairing after seeing some cute artwork, some nice fics from Tsurikato, and all the fun exchanges the two have throughout the games. ("Roll over Nick!") But having spent some time in the fandom, it's become really obvious just how good these two are for each other.

If you think about it, Maya is one of the closest people Phoenix has. Sure there's Edgeworth, Larry and Gumshoe among others, but they tend to travel in different circles, (man why didn't Larry show up in PW2?) or regard Phoenix in a more professional manner. Save for her absences to train in Kurain, Maya's the one person who spends more time with Phoenix than anyone else.
Even though she really doesn't need to be there, she's willing to spend her time helping Nick out, and is always ready to be by his side in court. You have to admit, that's quite a bit of loyalty for someone.

And Phoenix really doesn't seem to mind having her around. Yes, he does comment along the lines of "Every case we work together is like walking on hot coals" sometimes, but if Maya really bothered him, wouldn't he just tell her to go home, or at least do something elsewhere?
I see Phoenix as the type who works better when he knows he's got someone to back him up. In the final court section of case 2-4, you could see he was a bit more confident knowing that Edgeworth was helping by countering his arguments. And even when all seems lost, Maya (or indeed, whoever's sitting with him at that time) will cheer him on or encourage him to try harder.

If nothing else, I think Phoenix and Maya have a great mix of personalities. Phoenix is the serious one (save from his snarky internal monologues, just about all of Phoenix's speech is formal) and Maya is the fun loving one. Phoenix helps Maya stay focused on the important matters, (plus makes sure she doesn't destroy anything with her curiosity.) and Maya gives Phoenix some much-needed lightness and humour when he needs it.

In short, the two have such good chemistry and a special bond with each other, both as friends, or something more.
Plus, Maya's fairly sexy, though in a more subtle matter than the other girls in the game. Even Nick's got to think of her like that sometimes... :-p Nick

And now... the rest of the het.

Edgeworth/ Franziska
Again, the fanart for these two is slowly attracting me to the pairing. They have a lot in common: shared love for the law and prosecution, both are incredibly smart and determined, shared a childhood together, both love 19th Century outfits.... it's a little hard to imagine them with someone else. I see Franziska as someone with REALLY high standards when it comes to men (if she ever feels the urge to share her life with one, of course) and other than Phoenix, who else does Miles consider really close to him?

Larry/ Lotta Hart
Hmm, loudmouthed, stubborn, flaky, prone to outbursts, single minded on some matters... these two are made for each other. I'm not sure if marriage would ever be on the cards though. Would Lotta really want to be known as 'Lotta Butz'?

Will Powers/ :penny: I blame Kihanna for this one. The big guy needs a bit of love.

Javado/ Mia Fey Like many have said before me... these two are hot together.

Marshall/ Lana Having both been screwed over by Gant, and both been forced to do some questionable actions for their familes, I think these two have some common ground to bond over..

Cody/ Pearl Fanbrats unite!

Yuusaku/ Mareka You have to admire a woman who's quite happy to put up with her husband's cosplay fetish. One wonders if Yuusaku ever wore that costume in the bedroom..

Eh?/ Maggy Capcom, do us a favour. Please at least hint that these two got together in the next Gyakusai game. For great justice!

no not like that

Toby Danger wrote:
Larry/ Lotta Hart
Hmm, loudmouthed, stubborn, flaky, prone to outbursts, single minded on some matters... these two are made for each other. I'm not sure if marriage would ever be on the cards though. Would Lotta really want to be known as 'Lotta Butz'?

I LOVE YOU! Finally a person who likes those two together. I always thought I was the only one.

Hug an Edgeworth today <3

Musouka, thank you sooo much. You have just said what I was thinking. ^_^
Thank you very much Deefunx for the sig ^_^

Am I your wild-type?

Musouka (and Raelle~).... are my Court Records heroes!!! *waves fan flags*

I think that was the best pairing-rant ever.. If anyone ever asks me why I'm a fan, I think I'll just point them over to that one.
You said it way better than I could've. =P

Musouka, that was lovely. I'm still not a fan of them romantically for the shallow reason that it's just not my type of thing (and I STILL don't know why >>;) but they are undeniably close and you very beautifully explained the dynamic between them =)

*dodges the walls of text*

WHAR DO I PUT THIS HERE TREE?!?

Musouka is a goddess.

Comfy and easy to wear.

I absolutely love and adore the essays written thus far. I've read all of them, and they're all just wonderful. I wish I could write one of my own, but the only ones I would be capable of doing would be Fran and Adrian or Nick and Edgey, and CFTF and musouka have done both a million times better than I could hope of doing.

I've mentioned this elsewhere (possibly in the Least Favorite Pairings thread because I wander off topic like that), but the pairings I really like are as follows:

M/M:
Phoenix and Miles
Gumshoe and Miles

F/F:
Adrian and Franziska
Lana and Mia (I don't know what it is about this one I find totally adorable)
Maya and Regina >.>

M/F:
Gumshoe and Maggey
Mia and Godot

Could someone (with a lot of time) possibly write a Maya/Fran essay? It totally intrigues me, especially given how many people have mentioned it. Just the mental picture of the two of them kinda amuses me.

well, I'm not musouka or raelle, who could do a much better job than I could...

...but for that pairing, it's not SERIOUS AND OH MY GOD LOVE ETERNALLLYYYYY like a romance between A/F is... but the thing is, Maya is immature. She's Fran's age, but she ACTS HER AGE. Being around Maya means that Franziska can unwind and actually have some sort of a childish side, which is... well, it might be something she needs, but also is cute as hell.

I see F/M as just being a sort of "cute" romance, rather than anything serious. Geez is it ever adorable, though.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
well, I'm not musouka or raelle, who could do a much better job than I could...

...but for that pairing, it's not SERIOUS AND OH MY GOD LOVE ETERNALLLYYYYY like a romance between A/F is... but the thing is, Maya is immature. She's Fran's age, but she ACTS HER AGE. Being around Maya means that Franziska can unwind and actually have some sort of a childish side, which is... well, it might be something she needs, but also is cute as hell.

I see F/M as just being a sort of "cute" romance, rather than anything serious. Geez is it ever adorable, though.

Ah, I see. I'd been wondering why people shipped that pairing.
...That IS adorable x3
I also thought it was cute at some point in the game (I think you show Fran's picture to Maya or something...?) when Maya's like "OMGMEANDFRANZYCOULDSOBEBESTESTFRIENDSFOREVERBUTSHEDOESN'TLIKEMEEEEDDDX" ...except that was exaggerating but YOU GET THE POINT >>;

Like, just imagine (and this is word for word what Mu/Raelle came up with) ... them at a carnival.

Maya asks Fran to win her one of those stuffed animals in a ball-throwing game.

Fran can't.

Fran's all, "Scruffy! Win one of those stuffed animals so I can give it to Maya!"

...and it's just cute :P

俺の黄金の魔女

Pretty much C&Ped from chat. XD

A relationship with Maya would really explore a side of Fran that no other relationship would. And that's because Maya is her own age. Maya would sort of pull her down into allowing herself to be her own age.

And, Fran's reactions to her...it's like... Okay, using F/A as a comparison Adrian's effect on Fran would be more subtle. Maya will smack Fran and tell her "No. Stop." And then Fran urks and SO CUTE. And, just the thought of Fran smiling or LAUGHING like a normal teenager. It would be hard to get her to that point, but I think Maya could. Even with Adrian, Fran has to be an "adult". It's an adult relationship. And, it's a role she's comfortable in, so that's not ZOMG HUGE ISSUE, but it's also fun to really push her out of her comfort zone.

There are also issues to deal with. There's Phoenix. There's what would happen if it ended up being Phoenix VS Fran at trial. Because if Maya didn't support her, Fran would be hurt. And angry. But at the same time, Maya wouldn't support Fran over Phoenix if she thought Phoenix was right. But if Fran was hurting afterwards, I could see her forgoing the victory dinner to comfort her.

In that respect, it would allow Maya to be the mature one for once. Because even as Maya allows Fran to act her own age, Maya is also dealing with a damaged person, and she's good at putting her own feelings aside and being supportive in that sort of situation. There are times, when dealing with Fran, Maya would have to be the "adult". If she was comforting Fran, I could see her saying something like "You were really amazing in there." No irony, just a simple glance and a smile as she sits beside Fran. Fran, of course, turns away and scowls, but she can't help but be touched all the same.

They would both be protective of one another, because that's a personality trait both of them share. Heaven help the person that upset or tried to hurt Maya if Franziska was around, and vice versa! I could even see Maya defending Fran if Phoenix was ragging on her a little bit. If she was in love with Fran, she would be protective of her.

Pearl's reaction would be hilarious. I don't think she would accept it at first. (Not only does Mystic Maya NOT love Mr. Nick, she likes that meanie prosecutor that bullied her?!) And that would sting Fran a lot, because the Feys are really a weak point with her. We see that in her 3-5 interaction with both Pearl AND Maya. They're so forward about their feelings and she tries to keep hers bottled up so strongly that she doesn't know how to DEAL with them. And of course Phoenix's reaction... ("WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DATE FRANZISKA VON KARMA?")

I know that there's practically no basis for it, but the character dynamics are wonderful. It brings Franziska more firmly into Phoenix's world, instead of being on the side, and that means she does have to deal with a lot of people she wouldn't normally. It also allows for some really great Miles and Maya interaction, as I'm sure Maya would need to talk (and vent) about Franziska to someone. I don't think Miles would really understand the attraction, but I don't think he'd be strongly against it. Maya has been a very positive force in his life.

And there are just so many wonderful mental images. Maya pulling Fran off to go see something, Fran looking down at where Maya has grabbed her hand. Fran hanging around the Wright and Co offices, waiting for Maya, as Phoenix TEARS HIS HAIR OUT. Fran and Maya going out on dates, like to the movies. And Maya asks her what she thought of it, and Fran says something about how it was a complete waste of time. Cue Maya's depressed sprite. Fran rushes to stutteringly say it wasn't THAT bad. There were...a few good parts.

Maya Fey Franziska is my "cute" couple. It doesn't have the depth of oh, say, Franziska Adrian, but there's so much you can do with it. With Franziska Adrian , I like it because of what's in the game. That surprisingly strong canon basis and for the complexity they bring out in one another. With Maya Fey Franziska, I like it for the potential...

...You guys are making me like FranziskaxMaya D= HOW ON EARTH DID YOU /DO/ THAT?!
I'm squeeling from the cute of them now. Really.

Am I your wild-type?

,....That DOES sound cute, indeed. I think you just won over another Maya/Franziska fan. *nods* O.O

You only get what you give.

I'm also starting to like Phoenix x Ayame now. It's adorable. And cannon.

Spoiler: Lyk maj0r GS3 sp0il3rz, d00d
Mmkay. In the first case we know that young Phoenix is completely obsessed with his 'soulmate' "Chinami." Rather, he thought she was Chinami. But at the end we find out that he only met Chinami twice, it was actually Ayame the whole time. So the person that Phoenix really loved and spent all those times and memories with was Ayame.

Let's review their conversation for a moment...

Ayame I...have to apologize to you. For...that incident, six years ago.

Phoenix To be honest...I still can't believe what happened then. That she...would do that to me...

Ayame .............That's understandable. After all, the two of you barely knew each other.

Phoenix Wh...what do you mean?

Ayame You and my sister...met only twice.

Phoenix .........................Huh? Only...twice...?

Ayame You first met on that fateful day...when she poisoned Sir Kaminogi at the courthouse. And then you met for the second time...half a year later. The day she planned to kill you, by poisoning your cold medicine...and Mr. Kikuzou Nonda passed away.

Phoenix N-No! That's...that's impossible! ...Because for that half a year, we...

Ayame ......During that half a year...the girl you thought was Chinami Miyanagi...was not my sister.

Phoenix (That Chinami Miyanagi wasn't "my sister"...?)

Ayame I'm so sorry. ...Ryuu-chan.

Phoenix Y...you mean...?

Ayame ...Yes. I deceived you for that half a year. That day, the pendant was passed to Mr. Wright's hands. My sister wanted to recover it as quickly as possible. However...the police were still investigating...and she could not act freely. My sister...thought immediately to the worst possible solution. She feared you might discover the truth at any time. ...You were dangerous, and so she...

Phoenix (She wanted to kill me, huh...)

Ayame I...I didn't want my sister to continue adding to her sins. I begged her to wait.

Phoenix So that's when...you approached me. In order to get the pendant back, in her place.

Ayame ...But I...I couldn't do it. It was so simple...all I had to do was retrieve the pendant... But somehow half a year passed, and I still couldn't. And then, my sister couldn't wait any longer. She told me nothing of her plans that day.

Phoenix That seems...a little strange. Up until then, she included you in all her planning...

Ayame I'm certain it's because...she realized. My feelings, that is. And what I might do, if I knew she planned to kill you. I would have done anything to stop her. Even if it meant...that she or I would have to die in the process.

Phoenix Ayame...

Ayame ...In that half a year I spent with you...my feelings changed.

Phoenix ...... Let me say one thing.

Ayame Y-Yes...?

Phoenix You really are the person I believed you were. Even after "Chinami Miyanagi" received the guilty verdict...I still believed in you.

:Ayame: Thank you...

Now, Ayame implies many times that her "mission" was simply to take the pendant from Phownix, but she couldn't do it. Why? Because she loves Phoenix. This is especially clear in this line:

Ayame I'm certain it's because...she realized. My feelings, that is. And what I might do, if I knew she planned to kill you. I would have done anything to stop her. Even if it meant...that she or I would have to die in the process.

Basically, she would die for him. She says so herself. So her feelings for Phoenix are much more deep than just a crush, because you wouldn't die for a crush.

And I think Phoenix feels the same way about Ayame.

:Phoenix: You really are the person I believed you were. Even after "Chinami Miyanagi" received the guilty verdict...I still believed in you.

The person that Phoenix believed in was the person that he was in love with. Ayame, not Chinami. Before he knew all of this, however, he went to Hazekurain because he saw Ayame in the picture of the shrine-thing, thinking it was Chinami. He didn't know about Ayame yet but the fact that he went out of his way to see "Chinami" is because that he still loved her. He even says he still believed in her the whole time. So Phoenix did not move on, and I think he still has feelings for Ayame.

And this is why I believe this pairing is cannon and has a really good chance of working out. If Chinami hadn't stepped in who knows, they could have been together throughout the game.

1010 wrote:
I'm also starting to like Phoenix x Ayame now. It's adorable. And cannon.

Spoiler: Lyk maj0r GS3 sp0il3rz, d00d
Mmkay. In the first case we know that young Phoenix is completely obsessed with his 'soulmate' "Chinami." Rather, he thought she was Chinami. But at the end we find out that he only met Chinami twice, it was actually Ayame the whole time. So the person that Phoenix really loved and spent all those times and memories with was Ayame.

Let's review their conversation for a moment...

Ayame I...have to apologize to you. For...that incident, six years ago.

Phoenix To be honest...I still can't believe what happened then. That she...would do that to me...

Ayame .............That's understandable. After all, the two of you barely knew each other.

Phoenix Wh...what do you mean?

Ayame You and my sister...met only twice.

Phoenix .........................Huh? Only...twice...?

Ayame You first met on that fateful day...when she poisoned Sir Kaminogi at the courthouse. And then you met for the second time...half a year later. The day she planned to kill you, by poisoning your cold medicine...and Mr. Kikuzou Nonda passed away.

Phoenix N-No! That's...that's impossible! ...Because for that half a year, we...

Ayame ......During that half a year...the girl you thought was Chinami Miyanagi...was not my sister.

Phoenix (That Chinami Miyanagi wasn't "my sister"...?)

Ayame I'm so sorry. ...Ryuu-chan.

Phoenix Y...you mean...?

Ayame ...Yes. I deceived you for that half a year. That day, the pendant was passed to Mr. Wright's hands. My sister wanted to recover it as quickly as possible. However...the police were still investigating...and she could not act freely. My sister...thought immediately to the worst possible solution. She feared you might discover the truth at any time. ...You were dangerous, and so she...

Phoenix (She wanted to kill me, huh...)

Ayame I...I didn't want my sister to continue adding to her sins. I begged her to wait.

Phoenix So that's when...you approached me. In order to get the pendant back, in her place.

Ayame ...But I...I couldn't do it. It was so simple...all I had to do was retrieve the pendant... But somehow half a year passed, and I still couldn't. And then, my sister couldn't wait any longer. She told me nothing of her plans that day.

Phoenix That seems...a little strange. Up until then, she included you in all her planning...

Phoenix Ayame...

Ayame ...In that half a year I spent with you...my feelings changed.

Phoenix ...... Let me say one thing.

Ayame Y-Yes...?

Phoenix You really are the person I believed you were. Even after "Chinami Miyanagi" received the guilty verdict...I still believed in you.

:Ayame: Thank you...

Now, Ayame implies many times that her "mission" was simply to take the pendant from Phownix, but she couldn't do it. Why? Because she loves Phoenix. This is especially clear in this line:

Basically, she would die for him. She says so herself. So her feelings for Phoenix are much more deep than just a crush, because you wouldn't die for a crush.

And I think Phoenix feels the same way about Ayame.

:Phoenix: You really are the person I believed you were. Even after "Chinami Miyanagi" received the guilty verdict...I still believed in you.

The person that Phoenix believed in was the person that he was in love with. Ayame, not Chinami. Before he knew all of this, however, he went to Hazekurain because he saw Ayame in the picture of the shrine-thing, thinking it was Chinami. He didn't know about Ayame yet but the fact that he went out of his way to see "Chinami" is because that he still loved her. He even says he still believed in her the whole time. So Phoenix did not move on, and I think he still has feelings for Ayame.

And this is why I believe this pairing is cannon and has a really good chance of working out. If Chinami hadn't stepped in who knows, they could have been together throughout the game.

awww, that really is adorable ^o^ And canon.
One of my favorite het pairings, by far. I'm looking forward to Trials and Tribulations even more now ><

God, forgive me. Here it goes.

Even being the biggest Lana fan in history and opposed to MOST shipping with her (except Lana / Marshall . I'll get to that later...) SilverZephyr has sold me on Lana / Edgy ...congrats.

But I still like Marshall / Lana . They would make a cute couple. Their personalities are quite different, but I believe opposites attract. Though I would love too, I'm not going to rant. I have niether the time and/or patience.

This is not spy

chief_skye4444 wrote:
But I still like Marshall / Lana . They would make a cute couple. Their personalities are quite different, but I believe opposites attract. Though I would love too, I'm not going to rant. I have niether the time and/or patience.

WOO. I thought I was the only one.

Different even when Lana isn't cold anymore? Just curious. =O

My DeviantART account

Fanfare wrote:
chief_skye4444 wrote:

WOO. I thought I was the only one.

Different even when Lana isn't cold anymore? Just curious. =O

I believe so, though not as much. Let's say Lana is happy again. She took off her 'mask'. When WE see Jake takes off his cowboy 'mask', he's serious, sad, and solemn, but I'm sure he can be cheery.

In summary, the real Jake is like the fake Lana.

This is not spy

Ah, I see. Sorry for the weird question. But it's always fun to hear other people's opinions too. Anyway, I always thought Jake was... well, the cowboy he always was. Mostly. Not saying that you can't ignore your brother getting killed. >_>;

I'm getting off-topic, though. Sorry! x.x

Raugh. I might do an essay myself on a pairing if something comes to mind. For now... I got nothin'.

My DeviantART account

Page 2 of 71 [ 2837 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby