Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 3 of 36[ 1421 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Re: The pairing debate thread!Topic%20Title

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Kryptik wrote:
I'm a hardcore Edgeworth / Franziska myself. Faux-cest, baby!

Ugh. No offense, of course, but that pairing... squicks me out.

If only because, and I'm paraphrasing the wonderful Musouka here... the airport scene, taken between siblings, is adorable and darling and emotional. If you view it in a romantic context? It's horribly, HORRIBLY disturbing.
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

~There's Some Sorrow In Every Life~

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Claudia?

CORDELIA.

/smack LZ.

(I'm so sorry I didn't mean to ;_; )

Sorry ;o; I haven't watched the series in a while and I'm bad with names! I was closr though ^_^ Edited for everyones benefit!

raging klavier crush

Liquidzilla wrote:
EXM:
Ntice how he's so awkward around her? He has a huge crush ^^ Phoenix' over protective brother act comes out more around him too. This could be that he doesn't want Edgeworth falling for anyone but him, but it could also be he sees Edgeworth as a threat to his 'sister' figure Maya.

Mmm. Edgeworth is awkward around Maya, but I don't think that's indicative of a "huge crush", because when it doesn't concern his job, Edgeworth is awkward around everybody. And I'm curious as to why you say what you did about Phoenix in regards to it--I didn't get that impression at all.

俺の黄金の魔女

Spoiler: Croik
You're right. But that still isn't an indication of romance, which is the point I'm trying to make. The game asks us to believe that they're a couple, but we don't ever see them as a couple. There's no shared sexual or romantic anything between them. And I still don't believe that it was Mia as a person that caused Kaminogi to stop acting like an ass. I think if it was a man next to him that Kaminogi teased and cajoled in a non-sexual manner the entire time, he still would have shut up when his client died. He'd have to be heartless and a bad lawyer not to. So while I agree it started a bond between them in terms of them having gone through an experience together, it's not really any indication of them as a couple.

Spoiler: me
It's the set up for them being a couple. The game tells us they were a couple in 3-1, makes it clear that Mia is willing to avenge him at great personal risk, and then shows us how they came together in 3-4. I don't believe it could have been "just anyone" in that trial that made Kaminogi open up. Again, I thought it was pretty clear that this was something Kaminogi did often, and he had certain expectations going in. Those expectations were that he would go to trial as co-counsel for an attractive rookie, and she would either succeed--and he'd take her out for coffee. (And get laid) Or she would fail--and he'd take her out for coffee. (Comfort her and then get laid) No personal stakes in the trial itself.

Again, there is a dramatic shift between "lol, guess it's over hay I know this great mocha place" and actually telling Edgeworth that THEY had decisive evidence. 3-4 brings us from Kaminogi sitting at the sidelines and mocking her for "believing in fairytales", to him supporting her and working with her. Somewhere along the way, involvement with the trial morphed from "you" to "us".

I really don't see any evidence that Kaminogi would have made that shift for "anyone". He'd obviously had the chance to do it before with countless rookies. Mia was special for a reason, and I strongly believe that 3-4 was supposed to illustrate that. 3-5 backs this up when he waxes poetic about her commitment to her clients at the end. It's not JUST the fact that he called her name, it's 3-4 as a whole with the ending as the culmination of the shift in their relationship.

If it was Grossberg next to him and he called him "Fatty" the whole time, I think he would have shut up at the end, too.

Kaminogi/Grossberg OTP? Sal

I hate to think that hair dye and a mask is enough to trick a pair of people who supposedly shared an intimate relationship. Maybe you could say that Mia being dead has something to do with it, in which case, I'd accept that. But she was in love with a lawyer who had a thing for pinstripe vests and always had a cup of coffee with him at the bench. I was surprised that Maya didn't recognize him as her sister's former lover, let alone Mia herself. But if the game wants us to assume she didn't recognize him, I guess she didn't.

As a cosplayer who's used to seeing friends in the strangest of attire, I don't think that's rather fair to Mia. Yuusaku

And, again, these aren't real people. No, no one else was sleeping with Godot (that we know of), but as I said before, she didn't have enough time around him to really make that connection--I believe the only trial she was channeled in was 3-2, and only then near the end? (I could be mistaken.) I already outlined that I believe the game did this on purpose, narratively.

Also, this isn't just a friend in weird clothing. It's a friend you thought was dead, whose physical appearance has radically changed, who has most of their face obscured, and who you haven't seen in years. And who you only got to see when your attention was extremely diverted, in the last place you expected to see them. I do understand your stance on this issue, but as a plot device, it's hardly the strangest ever used in GS IMO. I'm sure there are other guys that like coffee and wear similar shirts. I don't think I'd try to identify any of my friends based on what they were wearing or what they happened to be drinking at the time, obsession with it or not.

So either he doesn't understand her feelings one bit, or he knew she wouldn't have wanted that and just didn't care. It's really no indication of love at all.

I don't know, I think this sort of obscures the issue. Godot wasn't rational on this, as he admits in 3-5. He was lashing out because he woke up and the woman he loved was gone forever. (Even if he could channel her, it's a reminder that they will NEVER have what they did) In an instant, his entire life changed. The two possible things he thought would give his life meaning were taken from him, and so he selfishly tried to replace them with a purpose.

Is it what Mia would have wanted? Probably not. But the truth of the matter is that he did try to save Maya from danger. He could have done it better, but the fault in that doesn't rest on his shoulders alone--it was "bad plan by commitee" after all. (I also don't think he was a bad prosecutor, he took losing pretty well, in all honesty.) Godot did lie to himself that he was doing it for her, when, again, it was because of her.

But...in the end, when he's admitting all this and talking about how amazing she was...I don't think he could have ever admitted how wrong he was in the first place if he didn't love her. If he didn't KNOW that what he was doing was wrong. He fucked up. He was selfish. He could have killed Pearl. But he faced it even when the others were trying to comfort him. He recognized that he was facing her through Phoenix in the end, and he finally gained closure. That was what allowed him to find closure.

He did go off the path for a long time, but I think, in the end, it was his love for her that brought him back.

Last edited by musouka on Mon May 07, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote:
Mmm. Edgeworth is awkward around Maya, but I don't think that's indicative of a "huge crush", because when it doesn't concern his job, Edgeworth is awkward around everybody. And I'm curious as to why you say what you did about Phoenix in regards to it--I didn't get that impression at all.

Really? I got the impression he was quite degnified around the others, but when Maya confronts him he became all flustered. Phoenix seems protective over Maya when she's around Edgey, I can't quote the game, but he seems really angry at him when Maya and Edgeworth talk for a bit.

raging klavier crush

Liquidzilla wrote:
Really? I got the impression he was quite degnified around the others, but when Maya confronts him he became all flustered. Phoenix seems protective over Maya when she's around Edgey, I can't quote the game, but he seems really angry at him when Maya and Edgeworth talk for a bit.

He does become flustered around Maya - because the only times we see him talking to her are when he's in a social situation and she's pushing him. He also becomes flustered, stammers, does the whole deal - in a similar setting concerning other people up to and including Will Powers.

I think Edgeworth is very fond of Maya. But his becoming awkward isn't indicative of a crush, because it's not something exclusive to her.

Definitely not following you re: Phoenix. Not saying it isn't there, but I don't remember anything like that at all.

俺の黄金の魔女

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Kryptik wrote:

If only because, and I'm paraphrasing the wonderful Musouka here... the airport scene, taken between siblings, is adorable and darling and emotional. If you view it in a romantic context? It's horribly, HORRIBLY disturbing.

DELICIOUS COPYPASTA, YOU MUST EAT IT:

Edgeworth / Franziska

This will actually be a quick one. Some have said they view the airport scene as romantic. While I think anyone is within their rights to see it that way, the mere idea that it is supposed to be indicative of romance between the von Karma siblings CREEPS ME OUT.

Here is why, in a nutshell. Familial and romantic relationships are different. Yes, this is obvious, but I think it bears repeating. If the scene is taken in a familial context, it is sweet and touching. It shows that both of them understand the other, and that they can communicate with one another on a comfortable level in a way that they struggle with when it comes to the rest of the cast. Taken romantically, it becomes a creepy scene of emotional blackmail in which a man, when faced with the prospect of the woman he love's pain and suffering, CHOOSES TO TURN HIS BACK ON HER AND SAYS "FIND YOUR OWN ANSWER". When you are part of a family, you want to encourage growth. Sometimes that means being harsh and stepping away, knowing that your loved one will understand. But with romance...you support one another. There is no "WE will get through this together" in that scene. There is "I know you have the courage and strength to find your own way". Which is a beautiful message for a brother to give to a sister, but not such a beautiful message for someone that is supposed to be in love with this person.

That, to me, is why I can't read that scene as romantic. At all. And the thought of it, unless you are doing something rather dark with the possibility, churns my stomach.

Quote:
He does become flustered around Maya - because the only times we see him talking to her are when he's in a social situation and she's pushing him. He also becomes flustered, stammers, does the whole deal - in a similar setting concerning other people up to and including Will Powers.

I think Edgeworth is very fond of Maya. But his becoming awkward isn't indicative of a crush, because it's not something exclusive to her.

Hmm, I just thought he seemed more awkward with her than all the others. He also seems to be worried about her and shows obvious emotion when
Spoiler:
Case 4 in GS2 is over and Maya's alright. He also seemed worried about her and tried his best to help rescue her.

Quote:
Definitely not following you re: Phoenix. Not saying it isn't there, but I don't remember anything like that at all.

Really? I think it was when
Spoiler:
He explains where he went and then Maya's chatting with him for a while, then Phoenix butts in and seems pretty angry. Might be wrong though, you never know ^^;

raging klavier crush

Liquidzilla wrote:
Hmm, I just thought he seemed more awkward with her than all the others. He also seems to be worried about her and shows obvious emotion when
Spoiler:
Case 4 in GS2 is over and Maya's alright. He also seemed worried about her and tried his best to help rescue her.

Well, again, Edgeworth does care about Maya. But think about the situation. Her life had been in danger. It would have nothing to do with romance and flat-out reflect extremely poorly on Edgeworth as a human being if he wasn't concerned and did what he could to help. It's simply that his being awkward in expressing that has nothing to do with Maya and everything to do with Edgeworth in himself and his lack of social skills. He also stammers horribly when he's trying to thank Phoenix and ask him if he's all right. He stutters around Will Powers when trying to express appreciation for his work.

Edgeworth fails at being social and expressing emotion that doesn't have to do with What It Means To Be A Lawyer in general.

Quote:
Really? I think it was when
Spoiler:
He explains where he went and then Maya's chatting with him for a while, then Phoenix butts in and seems pretty angry. Might be wrong though, you never know ^^;

All right, I think I know what you mean. Yes, Phoenix was angry with Edgeworth, but that has nothing to do with Maya or his talking to Maya. Phoenix had been angry at Edgeworth throughout the entire game, and he explicitly tells us why: he felt personally betrayed by his disappearance.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

The tags are starting to get cumbersome XD

Spoiler: musouka
I don't believe it could have been "just anyone" in that trial that made Kaminogi open up...3-4 brings us from Kaminogi sitting at the sidelines and mocking her for "believing in fairytales", to him supporting her and working with her. Somewhere along the way, involvement with the trial morphed from "you" to "us".

Spoiler:
I still don't see it that way. I'm sure Kaminogi is used to losing cases (since as a prosecutor it didn't bother him that much, and Grossberg doesn't seem like the kind of law firm deeply concerned about only supporting innocent people). But I don't think he's used to losing a case when he realizes that his client is innocent. Sure, it was Mia's strength and tenacity showed him that they should have believed in Onamida's innocence. But I still see it less like he gained respect for Mia and more like he realized he was wrong to take the trial so lightly.

I know the game *wants* you to think that's the point in which they bonded, but he was a jerk up until he realized he messed up. I think it came across too much as "he shaped up because he realized he screwed up" and not "he shaped up because she impressed him." I don't think there's anything else I can say on this particular point...

[quote=musoka]Kaminogi/Grossberg OTP? Sal[/quote]

It's not unheard of Dr? Hotti

I know you're supposed to assume that Godot is unrecognizable as Kaminogi. But the game didn't really make much of an effort to help support that. He was pretty much exactly the same. I guess we can just blame lazy spriting for that one...? XD;;; Just at the time of playing the game, it seemed an awful lot like, "Hey...don't you recognize him!? So much for true love~"

Spoiler: Musouka
But...in the end, when he's admitting all this and talking about how amazing she was...I don't think he could have ever admitted how wrong he was in the first place if he didn't love her. If he didn't KNOW that what he was doing was wrong. He fucked up. He was selfish. He could have killed Pearl. But he faced it even when the others were trying to comfort him. He recognized that he was facing her through Phoenix in the end, and he finally gained closure. That was what allowed him to find closure.

He did go off the path for a long time, but I think, in the end, it was his love for her that brought him back.

Spoiler:
Grr, that final speech of Godot's is one of my most hated moments in the series. I probably shouldn't talk about it. ....Naw, I'm gonna. Grossburg

I hate how Godot grinned through the whole thing. Blame it on sprite choice, sure. But when he has that "heh" look on his face the whole time he's admitting his faults, it just feels so...insincere. I didn't believe he was really accepting his guilt for a second. And the fact that everyone else was so insistent of relieving him of blame only made it worse. It felt like he was taking all the blame just so everyone else would run to tell him what a good person he really is. It's just so Stu, and so irritating! XD

The only Kaminogi/Godot we ever see is a jerk. And sure, we can take Mia and Godot's word that they really loved each other at some point. But I think it was a mistake not to let us, the audience, really see the point in which they...actually respected each other and got along well.

ImageImage

Struck by a blunt objection

Damn, Croik. You are starting to sound like me hating Franziska and Adrian

I think you need to play the game through again, I don't agree alot on your interpreting on Godots personality. Good think it comes out in english soon, eh? Aiga

俺の黄金の魔女

Croik wrote:
The tags are starting to get cumbersome XD

...yeah. XD

Quote:
Spoiler:
But I don't think he's used to losing a case when he realizes that his client is innocent. Sure, it was Mia's strength and tenacity showed him that they should have believed in Onamida's innocence. But I still see it less like he gained respect for Mia and more like he realized he was wrong to take the trial so lightly.

Spoiler:
I'm still not sure how it seems that way, since the emphasis wasn't on "OH SNAP, PEDO DIED", but on Mia's reaction to it, and his reaction to her. I mean, yeah there was "RRRGH KAMINOGI SMASH COFFEE CUP", he was upset. But he still turned his attention to her, to comforting her.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I know the game *wants* you to think that's the point in which they bonded, but he was a jerk up until he realized he messed up. I think it came across too much as "he shaped up because he realized he screwed up" and not "he shaped up because she impressed him." I don't think there's anything else I can say on this particular point...

Spoiler:
Messed up how? He wasn't wrong, he just...didn't really care at first. I never got the feeling at any point that it was Onamida that he grew to care about, but Mia's concern for Onamida got him involved. It wasn't "Oh, wow, you're right! He's innocent! I never knew! God, I'm such a prick! We must save him!" it was supporting her and helping her reach that verdict because she believed in the client, and that stalwart belief affected even him...

Quote:
I know you're supposed to assume that Godot is unrecognizable as Kaminogi. But the game didn't really make much of an effort to help support that. He was pretty much exactly the same. I guess we can just blame lazy spriting for that one...? XD;;; Just at the time of playing the game, it seemed an awful lot like, "Hey...don't you recognize him!? So much for true love~"

Spoiler:
I guess it didn't come across like that to me since the game DID have him recognize her. So I understood implicitly that Godot is supposed to be unrecognizable...even though he should be recognized. I even like that, since I think it ties into the "forgotten" theme running through his character arc.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I hate how Godot grinned through the whole thing. Blame it on sprite choice, sure. But when he has that "heh" look on his face the whole time he's admitting his faults, it just feels so...insincere.

Spoiler:
I read it as a self-mocking grin myself. Not "oho, ain't I a stinker?" Probably because of the WAY he was saying what he was. I was really caught up in the last part of the trial, so I was much more focused on the dialogue than sprite choices. (Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember him smiling the entire time? I should probably play through that part again...)

LOL OT, but one sprite choice I LOVED was having Ayame smile on the second day of investigation when Phoenix asked her if Chinami ever said anything about him, and she responded that she said he was pathetic. Damn, I LOVE foreshadowing like that.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I didn't believe he was really accepting his guilt for a second. And the fact that everyone else was so insistent of relieving him of blame only made it worse. It felt like he was taking all the blame just so everyone else would run to tell him what a good person he really is. It's just so Stu, and so irritating! XD

Spoiler:
Well, he was pretty hard on himself. And, well, he did croak afterwards.

I suppose it's like how 1-5 was about Edgeworth's adventures with evidence. I rarely tend to look at what characters say as the game itself trying to excuse a character's actions, but more of their own development. I didn't get the feeling the writers were saying THAT GODOT HE'S REALLY NOT SO BAD REALLY, but I found it interesting that Phoenix and Maya defended him from their own personal characterization perspectives. I think it's mainly because he was forced to face what he did in the story itself. Whether you thought the characters were too easy on him, the fact is that what he did was still addressed and he had to pay for his actions.

Quote:
Spoiler:
And sure, we can take Mia and Godot's word that they really loved each other at some point. But I think it was a mistake not to let us, the audience, really see the point in which they...actually respected each other and got along well.

Spoiler:
Here's my thing. I don't believe that Kaminogi/Mia was important in and of itself AS A ROMANCE. It was the effect they both had on one another that got me. The fact that you could recognize where Mia got a lot of her (irritating) phrases she says to Phoenix. The fact that she was willing to throw away her badge for him. The fact that losing her twisted Godot to beyond repair. The fact that she forced him to care about what she did through sheer strength of will and faith. That was more than enough for me to believe that their romance was something special that had enormous impact on their lives, and that they had truly been in love.

I guess, in a way, it's sort of like Franziska's development. To some, seeing that single scene of her crying at the end makes her totally make sense and allows you to fill in most of the gaps. To others, it's a cheap, tacked on grap for sympathy that just doesn't work. I'm not sure there's any wrong or right answer, just a difference in opinion...

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Quote:
I guess, in a way, it's sort of like Franziska's development. To some, seeing that single scene of her crying at the end makes her totally make sense and allows you to fill in most of the gaps. To others, it's a cheap, tacked on grap for sympathy that just doesn't work. I'm not sure there's any wrong or right answer, just a difference in opinion...

Haha, well, if I'm being honest, I don't like Franziska, and to me the Airport Scene felt like the later. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, since I can't respond to anything in your last post except to repeat everything I've already said. What it comes down to is...I just didn't buy it. I didn't buy that Godot and Mia's relationship was deep and special, or that he felt any real remorse at the end.

Spoiler:
Maybe if one person had said, "Hey, Godot. You're an idiot." Maybe then at least the game would have acknowledged that he was wrong. But when the only person willing to accept the possibility that he was stupid is Godot himself, I think it ruins the effect. And especially the fact that no one asked, "Hey, why not just destroy the letter?" made it feel like one big hole to me. Like the game was trying to say he almost had no choice. They kind of made him a martyr. But he's not a hero, he's a big dumb poo poo head.

...Hmm, I think that's all I've got XD.
ImageImage

Raelle wrote:
Well, again, Edgeworth does care about Maya. But think about the situation. Her life had been in danger. It would have nothing to do with romance and flat-out reflect extremely poorly on Edgeworth as a human being if he wasn't concerned and did what he could to help. It's simply that his being awkward in expressing that has nothing to do with Maya and everything to do with Edgeworth in himself and his lack of social skills. He also stammers horribly when he's trying to thank Phoenix and ask him if he's all right. He stutters around Will Powers when trying to express appreciation for his work.

Edgeworth fails at being social and expressing emotion that doesn't have to do with What It Means To Be A Lawyer in general.

All right, I think I know what you mean. Yes, Phoenix was angry with Edgeworth, but that has nothing to do with Maya or his talking to Maya. Phoenix had been angry at Edgeworth throughout the entire game, and he explicitly tells us why: he felt personally betrayed by his disappearance.

Edgeworth just seemed to be more concerned than the other characters (except Phoenix) and normally Edgeworth hides his emotions from view. I just thought that if he didn't really 'care' about her in that way then he would have actly more calmly, as perusual, and would have still given the case the same amount of attention, but with less emotion showing on the outside.
I do agree with you, but I think this part of the game is just how you perseave the characters. One person might think that Phoenix was angry, another might think protective and another might think concerned. It's all in the eye of the beholder ^_^ (sorry, that's pretty cop-outish I know)

俺の黄金の魔女

Well, I can't say I don't understand how you feel. I don't agree, but I understand.

EDIT: SO NOW THAT THAT'S SETTLED, WHO'S NEXT?

e × e = e²

I'm sorry, musu, you thoroughly whipped me in the last thread.
But I'll be back with a vengeance! We will meet again in the forum of battle...
ImageImageImageImageImage

Science: It's cuter than ever

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Kryptik wrote:

Even though I'm an EdgeyxFran fan (not a hardcore one in the least, but I like it if only because frillcest is hot >>; *is shallow*) I completely agree with you :/ I'd explain further but Musouka already explained it perfectly in the least favorite pairings thread >>; So while I like the pairing, I don't really like it as more than one-sided up through the games, and then if it's mutual only after JFA. If...that made sense >>;

raging klavier crush

Liquidzilla wrote:
I do agree with you, but I think this part of the game is just how you perseave the characters. One person might think that Phoenix was angry, another might think protective and another might think concerned. It's all in the eye of the beholder ^_^ (sorry, that's pretty cop-outish I know)

Hmm. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is a debate thread. And, well, not all perceptions have equal basis. Phoenix tells us, flat out, why he is angry, and that is consistent with how he acts the rest of the game. He was just as furious with Edgeworth before the subject of Maya ever came up between them.

I mean, anyone can ship E/M if it appeals to them, that's awesome. But I don't think the idea that Phoenix was somehow harsh or jealous with Edgeworth over Edgeworth's interaction with Maya in 2-4 has any real validity.

EDIT: MUSOUKA, BABY, I CHALLENGE YOU. FRANZISKA/KYOUYA VERSUS KYOUYA/GUITAR VERSUS LAWL GARYUUCEST. HEAVEN OR HELL.

Liquidzilla wrote:
Quote:

I think that's more situational. Her saving him, him seeing her after she had been kidnapped by an assassin, him in really social situations, etc. It's also possible that he's nervous around her because she's so lively and he's not used to it.

I actually think EdgeworthxMaya is kind of cute, but I don't think that the reason it would be cute is because of him stammering, and I don't think that him stammering has anything to do with a crush ^^;

And I don't remember anything like that with Phoenix :/

Quote:
Hmm. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is a debate thread. And, well, not all perceptions have equal basis. Phoenix tells us, flat out, why he is angry, and that is consistent with how he acts the rest of the game. He was just as furious with Edgeworth before the subject of Maya ever came up between them.

I mean, anyone can ship E/M if it appeals to them, that's awesome. But I don't think the idea that Phoenix was somehow harsh or jealous with Edgeworth over Edgeworth's interaction with Maya in 2-4 has any real validity.

I never said he was jelious, just concerned and protective of Maya. I also stated my reply was pretty much a cop-out and that I was sorry for it ^_^
Also, if you look at it from a certain angle, Phoenix could be protective over Maya because he thinks she may get hurt by Edgeworth and/or his actions. (Now I have the motive! All I need if evidence XD)
Also, why would he bring up Maya? she was right there with them and he may have been embarrassed to bring up the subject.

Quote:
I think that's more situational. Her saving him, him seeing her after she had been kidnapped by an assassin, him in really social situations, etc. It's also possible that he's nervous around her because she's so lively and he's not used to it.

I actually think EdgeworthxMaya is kind of cute, but I don't think that the reason it would be cute is because of him stammering, and I don't think that him stammering has anything to do with a crush ^^;

And I don't remember anything like that with Phoenix :/

Really? I remember Phoenix saying something along those lines. I did say not to quote me on it though.
I didn't say the stammering was cute though, all i said was I thought it could be the sign of a crush.

Am I your wild-type?

Raelle, Croik, and Musouka are like.... the ones who dominate the debate thread, man. *bows at their feets*

Edgey/Maya - ...No. just... no.
I prefer Edgeworth/Gumshoe over that pairing anyday, man. At least it makes a LITTLE more sense. >.>

俺の黄金の魔女

Liquidzilla wrote:
Also, if you look at it from a certain angle, Phoenix could be protective over Maya because he thinks she may get hurt by Edgeworth and/or his actions. (Now I have the motive! All I need if evidence XD)
Also, why would he bring up Maya? she was right there with them and he may have been embarrassed to bring up the subject.

I think it might help if you could specify the scene you're talking about? I'm wracking my brains and I can't think of a single scene where it comes across that Phoenix is annoyed that Edgeworth is talking to Maya, in any of the games. Phoenix was very angry with Edgeworth in general in JFA, but I can't think of a way that you can bring Maya into that specifically, since Phoenix made it clear exactly what upset him.

Really, if you like E/M, I think 3-5 is kinder to you than anything in the previous games.

Spoiler: 2-4
Well, there WAS the part in JFA where, right when Edgeworth could have actually started winning the case and gotten the real killer behind bars, he stopped so that de Killer wouldn't be angered and kill Maya. Not that it's an indication of romance or anything, but considering he hates criminals more than anything and normally puts the law above all else I thought it showed that he at least cared about her to some extent.

I can't really see them in a relationship all that well, though :/ Unless they both changed drastically I think he would have too many "this girl is an idiot" moments and she would have too many "this guy is boring" moments for it to really work out in the long run. I think their platonic relationship is cute, though ^^

andbesidesEdgeyxLanaandLarryxMayaarecuter>>;

nuuuuu, stoooooop

musouka wrote:
Well, I can't say I don't understand how you feel. I don't agree, but I understand.

Same here. *salute*

But what are you thoughts on yaoi...?

jk jk ~~ Frank Sawit
ImageImage

raging klavier crush

SilverZephyr wrote:
Well, there WAS the part in JFA where, right when Edgeworth could have actually started winning the case and gotten the real killer behind bars, he stopped so that de Killer wouldn't be angered and kill Maya. Not that it's an indication of romance or anything, but considering he hates criminals more than anything and normally puts the law above all else I thought it showed that he at least cared about her to some extent.

I think Edgeworth cares about Maya deeply. She plays a role in his life that no one else really does. I love their friendship; the idea of them hanging out and being enormous dorks together is so adorable I sort of go into convulsions. But, yes - romance, and the intimacy that comes with it? I can't see that at all. And I don't think there's much, if any, indication of it.

That scene broke my heart. It's one of my absolute favorites in JfA. Because, as you said, Edgeworth always puts the big picture first. He does not compromise when it comes to his morals. He takes a hard line against Phoenix, against Franziska, against himself. But, I think it was for Phoenix and Maya both. Edgeworth cares about Maya in herself, deeply, but he also knows how much Phoenix cares for her - that Phoenix would be broken without her. Remember that Edgeworth kept rolling until Phoenix begged him to stop--and then he flinched, and that's what pushed him to throw it.

It's a bit of a blurry line, and I know this isn't what you're saying, but I don't believe Edgeworth threw the trial just because "I couldn't bear to see something happen to Maya." It was a bit more complex than that.

Croik wrote:
musouka wrote:

Same here. *salute*

But what are you thoughts on yaoi...?

jk jk ~~ Frank Sawit

Have you not read Musouka's wonderful, wonderful fanfiction?

SHe loooooves teh buttsex0rz

nuuuuu, stoooooop

It's a F_W joke, my friend. Edgy
ImageImage

I am not familiar with that acronym. >.>

BUT ALL RIGHT

Gotta go to class now noes ;_;

俺の黄金の魔女

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
I am not familiar with that acronym. >.>

BUT ALL RIGHT

Gotta go to class now noes ;_;

"Fandom Wank"

SHE IS IMPLYING I AM LONG WINDED AND/OR POSSIBLY BORING. Sal

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Nuuuuuu, I just thought it was appropriate, given our debate XD

(btw siggie = <3)
ImageImage

I, too, am in love with Mu's new sig :D

Am I your wild-type?

Agreeing with the others above me. D=

Your sig= FTW.

Raelle wrote:
SilverZephyr wrote:

I think Edgeworth cares about Maya deeply. She plays a role in his life that no one else really does. I love their friendship; the idea of them hanging out and being enormous dorks together is so adorable I sort of go into convulsions. But, yes - romance, and the intimacy that comes with it? I can't see that at all. And I don't think there's much, if any, indication of it.

That scene broke my heart. It's one of my absolute favorites in JfA. Because, as you said, Edgeworth always puts the big picture first. He does not compromise when it comes to his morals. He takes a hard line against Phoenix, against Franziska, against himself. But, I think it was for Phoenix and Maya both. Edgeworth cares about Maya in herself, deeply, but he also knows how much Phoenix cares for her - that Phoenix would be broken without her. Remember that Edgeworth kept rolling until Phoenix begged him to stop--and then he flinched, and that's what pushed him to throw it.

It's a bit of a blurry line, and I know this isn't what you're saying, but I don't believe Edgeworth threw the trial just because "I couldn't bear to see something happen to Maya." It was a bit more complex than that.

I get what you mean with the trial, I too don't think he threw it away just because he cared about Maya, but just partly because he does. I just think, if you add together all of the evidence he gives you when Maya and him are together, that there are some indications to Edgeworth liking her. I mean, maybe he doesn't even understand what he's feeling and so comes across as different to normal. Maybe it's all a onesided love? Maya doesn't seem to love him in that way at all, but Edgeworth seems to at least have a small crush on her. Maybe he's jelious of Phoenix?

俺の黄金の魔女

Liquidzilla wrote:
I get what you mean with the trial, I too don't think he threw it away just because he cared about Maya, but just partly because he does. I just think, if you add together all of the evidence he gives you when Maya and him are together, that there are some indications to Edgeworth liking her. I mean, maybe he doesn't even understand what he's feeling and so comes across as different to normal. Maybe it's all a onesided love? Maya doesn't seem to love him in that way at all, but Edgeworth seems to at least have a small crush on her. Maybe he's jelious of Phoenix?

Well, anything is possible, but the point is whether it's plausible. I don't think anyone would deny that Edgeworth likes Maya a lot. She went to jail to help him, she's very close to Phoenix, and she demands that he better himself. But being romantically interested in her is completely different.

As outlined previously, Maya is not the only person Edgeworth has trouble dealing with. Since it's not something unique to her, it's hard to spin as a special interest. Maya has a strong effect on many people. We see Franziska react much the same way Edgeworth does to Maya's prompting at the end of 3-5. And as much as I like the couple, I would say that's far from proof that Fran has a crush on her. It's a natural consequence of an emotionally supressed and an emotionally open person interacting.

I see no proof that Edgeworth is jealous of Phoenix. Also, if he had a crush on Maya, wouldn't he seek out more chances to spend with her? He might be awkward when he's around her and, well, he doesn't hate her, but he also makes no effort to seek her out outside of times they happen to meet. And when they do meet the lion's share of his attention is invariably on Phoenix.

Why can't we all just agree that the men in GS never loved any women and get this over with?

At least, I HIGHTLY doubt Edgeworth ever has. Comeone. He's higher maintenance than any woman I've ever met XD

Because we've got people like Yuusaku and Kaminogi who have been in Canon Hetrosexual relatioships, LoG (hell, Yuusaku is even married and is very dedicated to his wife.)

As for Edgey, who knows?
I yell "OBJECTION!" in the court sometimes!

musouka wrote:
Well, anything is possible, but the point is whether it's plausible. I don't think anyone would deny that Edgeworth likes Maya a lot. She went to jail to help him, she's very close to Phoenix, and she demands that he better himself. But being romantically interested in her is completely different.

As outlined previously, Maya is not the only person Edgeworth has trouble dealing with. Since it's not something unique to her, it's hard to spin as a special interest. Maya has a strong effect on many people. We see Franziska react much the same way Edgeworth does to Maya's prompting at the end of 3-5. And as much as I like the couple, I would say that's far from proof that Fran has a crush on her. It's a natural consequence of an emotionally supressed and an emotionally open person interacting.

I see no proof that Edgeworth is jealous of Phoenix. Also, if he had a crush on Maya, wouldn't he seek out more chances to spend with her? He might be awkward when he's around her and, well, he doesn't hate her, but he also makes no effort to seek her out outside of times they happen to meet. And when they do meet the lion's share of his attention is invariably on Phoenix.

Para 1:
It depends on your view on it, it's not like we can go and ask them. I think everyone has their own view on how a crush may look and crushes are different for each person, some run away, others tease, some become obsessed.

Para 2:
Edgeworth reacts different to Franziska though. Franny just gets a little lost for words and seems annoyed, wereas Edgeworth seems to genuinly take her words to heart.

Para 3:
What if Edgeworth is one of those people who doesn't get the feeling of love and therefore tries to escape the person who gives those feelings? He also seems to like chatting with her more than he does with Phoenix. I just thought the air between them became quite cold when they talked, but with Maya it seemed to warm up a little.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I'm sorry, LOG, but Gumshoe has a crush on Maggey. It's caaaaanon.

But Edgeworth is an island unto himself. Can no one break the wall of ice around his heart...!?!?

*chucks Odoroki at him to see if his BURNING HEART stands a chance*
ImageImage

俺の黄金の魔女

Liquidzilla wrote:
Para 1:
It depends on your view on it, it's not like we can go and ask them. I think everyone has their own view on how a crush may look and crushes are different for each person, some run away, others tease, some become obsessed.

Well, as soon as you figure out how Edgeworth acts when he has a crush, then we can talk. All I know is that he's acted the same way around Maya that he has Phoenix and Will Powers, and I can't see him having a "crush" on either of those three.

Liquidzilla wrote:
Para 2:
Edgeworth reacts different to Franziska though. Franny just gets a little lost for words and seems annoyed, wereas Edgeworth seems to genuinly take her words to heart.

Huh? Maya told them both to do something nice. They both did it. I don't see the difference, to be honest. Yes, Maya pushes Edgeworth to become a better person, but that's because HE wants to be better, not for Maya herself.

Liquidzilla wrote:
Para 3:
What if Edgeworth is one of those people who doesn't get the feeling of love and therefore tries to escape the person who gives those feelings? He also seems to like chatting with her more than he does with Phoenix. I just thought the air between them became quite cold when they talked, but with Maya it seemed to warm up a little.

Edgeworth never tries to escape Maya, he just makes no effort to engage her unless she's already there. When he's talking to Phoenix he's never "hey, where's Maya?" Hell, he didn't even seem to notice she wasn't with Phoenix until Phoenix told him she had been kidnapped. That doesn't speak much to me of a crush on his part.

Croik wrote:
I'm sorry, LOG, but Gumshoe has a crush on Maggey. It's caaaaanon.

But Edgeworth is an island unto himself. Can no one break the wall of ice around his heart...!?!?

*chucks Odoroki at him to see if his BURNING HEART stands a chance*

*wines and throws things* It's not caaaaanon!!

Gumshoe love Phoenix long time *grumbles*
Page 3 of 36 [ 1421 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby