Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby

Page 3 of 10[ 366 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Re: Unpopular Opinions You Have On AATopic%20Title

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Athena assists in every case in Dual Destinies except her own playable case, so yes, she is the assistant for that game. Granted, being a lawyer means she's more qualified to be an assistant than other assistants, aside from Mia, Grossberg, and Diego.

I love Apollo Justice and all of its cases.
I think that Apollo Justice is better than the original game and tied with Justice For All
Godot ISN'T my favourite prosecutor
I prefer Trucy as an assistant over Maya (prefer Maya as a whole though)
I think 2-3 is one of the funnest cases
I love Franziska
I prefer case 5-2 to case 5-3
I prefer grumpy Ema to kid Ema
Simon BlackQuill is the funniest prosecutor but he isn't my favourite
I think that Kristoph Gavin rivals Dahlia as the best villain in the series
I think case 1-4 is the weakest final case (1-5 not included since it's a new case)

The Enigma

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Edgeworth is very punchable. I am debating at the moment whether or not he is more punchable than Phoenix.

(I do not punch people because I dislike them, mind you. I punch people jokingly... because my punches are jokes.)

Of course he is, Rubia. Of course he is. :-P

I think Capcom should've kept the biker!Mia concept art as her original design. It wouldn't have made much of a difference (or maybe it would have, like in the anime instead of Phoenix riding his bike to court, she could just offer him rides. Cue a nervous and awkward Phoenix holding onto her waist for dear life as they speed through Japanifornia), but it would've been badass.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

The video game boy; the one who wins

Bramimond wrote:

I think Capcom should've kept the biker!Mia concept art as her original design. It wouldn't have made much of a difference (or maybe it would have, like in the anime instead of Phoenix riding his bike to court, she could just offer him rides. Cue a nervous and awkward Phoenix holding onto her waist for dear life as they speed through Japanifornia), but it would've been badass.

Yes.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

*steals your girl and swims away*

This is my first time posting after lurking for a while, and it's gonna be a post about my unpopular opinion. If that's not a good impression, I don't know what is!

Anyway, here goes: I really, really do not like Franziska or Pearl. I played all the way through JFA, waiting for her to redeem herself and become this amazing character, but it never happened. I'll admit that her walking off being shot in the shoulder was pretty awesome, but she spends the entire game acting only slightly less crazy than her father. She's somewhat better in TnT, but not enough to redeem her of the things she did in the previous game.

As for Pearl, someone needs to put this kid in the time-out corner. Hitting Nick whenever he so much as glances at another woman is neither funny nor cute. And despite apologizing for acting immaturely, she continues to act immaturely as if the apology never happened. Granted, I haven't finished DD yet, so I don't know if she's matured since the original trilogy.

Also, though this is extremely nitpicky, Pearl channelling Mia is kind of creepy because of the...changes that happen when she does it.

Gardevoir lover

Gaymergirl wrote:
As for Pearl, someone needs to put this kid in the time-out corner. Hitting Nick whenever he so much as glances at another woman is neither funny nor cute. And despite apologizing for acting immaturely, she continues to act immaturely as if the apology never happened. Granted, I haven't finished DD yet, so I don't know if she's matured since the original trilogy.

Also, though this is extremely nitpicky, Pearl channelling Mia is kind of creepy because of the...changes that happen when she does it.

Okay spoilers for DD.
Spoiler:
She doesn't mature at all, they figured since she only shows up for 15 minutes that people wouldn't notice she hasn't matured.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

I am the swordsman of justice!

Gaymergirl wrote:
This is my first time posting after lurking for a while, and it's gonna be a post about my unpopular opinion. If that's not a good impression, I don't know what is!

Anyway, here goes: I really, really do not like Franziska or Pearl. I played all the way through JFA, waiting for her to redeem herself and become this amazing character, but it never happened. I'll admit that her walking off being shot in the shoulder was pretty awesome, but she spends the entire game acting only slightly less crazy than her father. She's somewhat better in TnT, but not enough to redeem her of the things she did in the previous game.

I didn't really like Fransika all that much either, I thought she was kinda bland compared to the other prosecutor. It's not that I don't like her, she's fine I guess, but that I don't prefer her. Also, welcome to the CR forums!
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

Bidoof bidoof bidoof is on fire

Bramimond wrote:

Wait, Mia was had biker style concept art? I have to see this.
(I've looked at scans of the artbook but I don't remember seeing that one.)

Also, I see what you guys are saying about Athena. But I'm still a little bitter about it though because she is an attorney. It doesn't seem right to put her in the same category as Maya or Kay. Also in the only game she's appeared in so far, she has the same amount of gameplay as Apollo. (Yes, she's going to be his assistant in the upcoming game, though I'm sure that's due to fans begging Capcom to give Apollo more spotlight. And I do love Apollo, so I'm fine with that.)
I... feel foolish.

My tumblr: http://www.polkadot-cookie.tumblr.com
My Apollo-centric sideblog: http://www.chords-of-fine.tumblr.com

If we don't have order, Prosecutor Blackquill will yell at us!

The Thinker

GS1 is still my favorite game out of all of them :/

Danksgiving

Nado13579 wrote:
Also in the only game she's appeared in so far, she has the same amount of gameplay as Apollo.

if i recall correctly apollo got two cases while athena got one

This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!

Mister Gruel wrote:
Nado13579 wrote:
Also in the only game she's appeared in so far, she has the same amount of gameplay as Apollo.

Well, technically speaking, they both got one full case (case 2 for Apollo, case 3 for Athena) and one partial case (case 4 for Apollo, case 1 for Athena).
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.

A Kirby and AA fan

I think Phoenix's model in PLvsAA was expressive enough. Even the finger pointing had enough bang for me.
It was a world where almost everyone was incredibly quirky and expressive, so having a more normal man in the cast was great

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Turnabout Dave wrote:
Mister Gruel wrote:
Nado13579 wrote:

Well, technically speaking, they both got one full case (case 2 for Apollo, case 3 for Athena) and one partial case (case 4 for Apollo, case 1 for Athena).

If you want to get more technical, in the two cases Apollo is playable, he had to cross examine. Athena only did that in one case; in the first one she presented evidence only one. Granted, it was the tutorial case and there was a reason she didn't continue.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Austin wrote:
GS1 is still my favorite game out of all of them :/

Welcome in the club. The worst notion I've heard is that "Every game after GS1 is more literary". I just don't understand that. The best stories are subtle and let their plot happen without moralizing, philosophising or banging their central themes over your head and GS1 deals with big themes like the legal system itself as a social commentary, and the characters of Nick, Edgeworth, Gumshoe, Von Karma, Mr. Hammond and all, they all represent sides and morals within the system from Takumi's POV (I guess) that are never obviously stated in the text. If anything I felt that in games beyond JFA they started trying to be too deep and put the subtext in the forefront as with the circlejerk of "The only time lawyers can cry is when it's all over" poetic dialogue of T&T. To me, GS1 let its story exist without letting its ideas and themes get too much in the way. DD is probably the worst offender with all the "Unleash your emotions!" and Edgeworth making speeches about trust and doubt during the trial.

Not gonna defend his "truth" speeches in JFA though lol.

But I guess this is why I hold PLvPWAA in high regard too. The societal themes of Labyrinthia and witchcraft or essentially outcasts vs the law and order, was thought-provoking to me, and they never make the characters go "Witches are also people, but they are outcasts and society will not allow them to blabla" :viola:

AAI2 is kinda okay despite being overly reiterative of its central themes and ideas without enough subtlety though. I think it plays like a Christopher Nolan movie. He makes characters who have very underdeveloped characterization and philosophise the ideas of the story they're in... almost as if Nolan himself is telling his audience directly, using characters as mouthpieces

I guess the reason I'm against it is because if I'm supposed to believe these characters are actual people, which would only make it more immersive and captivating, then they have to act like real people. In real life I don't stop up in the middle of the store to tell my friend that shopping for food is part of my ability to exist within society but it requires me to have a job so I have enough money and that's incredibly meaningful. I also don't have a quote I keep saying to my friends like "Every day is a new day" that I will one day reiterate when I die of old age to remind them of how deep the story I've been part of has been. :edgey:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Looking back, after having the bar raised somewhat for me by DGS, I'm starting to get less and less fond of how Ace Attorney handles court proceedings - and while the anime is rushed, it does sting to watch trials being handled in such an unreasonable manner, and remembering that it actually was more-or-less like that in the DS games, with "oh, I guess I'm gonna go home now" being among the largest drama points and "nana, you don't have proof" being the biggest obstacle.

I also started forever disliking the franchise's current localized title, made to be flashy rather than actually fit the game. With the ever-present theme of turnabouts present in the titles of its chapters, and the game itself, I feel "Trial's Turnabout" would be much better suited for the series as a whole.

Danksgiving

Quote:
Welcome in the club.

i would like to join the GS1 Favorite Game club

Bidoof bidoof bidoof is on fire

MBr wrote:
If you want to get more technical, in the two cases Apollo is playable, he had to cross examine. Athena only did that in one case; in the first one she presented evidence only one. Granted, it was the tutorial case and there was a reason she didn't continue.

That's true. But then again, I'm almost certain her own case was longer than Apollo's (the culprit was a stubborn guy). So they really do get a relatively even amount of gameplay time.

Back on the topic of unpopular opinions, I thought 3-3 was worse than 2-3. The case itself and spotting contradictions was fun, but the characters were so much more frustrating. Tigre's shtick got old fast, Kudo was not a pleasant character to deal with, and the chef was, well, you know (though he was funny). Viola was cool, though. But yeah, these characters got on my nerves much worse than those in 2-3. :grey:
I... feel foolish.

My tumblr: http://www.polkadot-cookie.tumblr.com
My Apollo-centric sideblog: http://www.chords-of-fine.tumblr.com

If we don't have order, Prosecutor Blackquill will yell at us!

Chronically Unstable

Mister Gruel wrote:
Quote:
Welcome in the club.

Count me in, too!

Whenever I think about my personal favourite in the series, I can't help but think of PW and AJ. The reasons the former wins for me are such: the overall atmospere of the game as a whole which none of the games have ever managed to capture so well (not really counting 1-5, but I think it stands out on its own), wonderful characters, splendid score and my favourite case of all time, Turnabout Goodbyes. Seriously, tackling DL-6, saving Edgeworth, witnessing Phoenix's growth both as a lawyer and a person as well as Maya's and one of the most satisfying takedowns in the series make this title stand out the most to me.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I have to agree about the first game. It was subtle about its themes, unlike say, Dual Destinies where you had to sit through lots and lots of text before you got to do anything. In the first game, the witness would give their testimony, then immediately after the judge would give you the chance to cross-examine. In Dual Destinies, you need to sit though lots of text, as though you pressed the witness in the first game. The difference is that you actually did something in the first game, and in DD the game does it for you.

I am the swordsman of justice!

SPInc wrote:
Mister Gruel wrote:
Quote:
Welcome in the club.

Count me in, too!

Whenever I think about my personal favourite in the series, I can't help but think of PW and AJ. The reasons the former wins for me are such: the overall atmospere of the game as a whole which none of the games have ever managed to capture so well (not really counting 1-5, but I think it stands out on its own), wonderful characters, splendid score and my favourite case of all time, Turnabout Goodbyes. Seriously, tackling DL-6, saving Edgeworth, witnessing Phoenix's growth both as a lawyer and a person as well as Maya's and one of the most satisfying takedowns in the series make this title stand out the most to me.

A club for AA1? I'm in!

I have to say, deciding my favorite game in the series was a hard decision! Do I pick AA or T&T! But in reality, I had to pick the good old first game because of how good it really was and the nostalgia factor too, (I know that's cheating a bit, but I can't deny that's a reason!). I remember after playing it, it made me realize that video games could be a form of storytelling, that they could make you feel real emotional at times. Before AA, I had never played at game like that! And now I won't play a game that doesn't have a good and emotional story! When Mia died early in the game, I was shocked! I had no idea games could shock you! And Phoenix as a character, he set a standard for me of how entertainment heros should be! Since playing the first AA game, I have expended my gaming horizons because of it. So for all that and many more reasons, the original is my favorite
I was trying to think of a question while I was objecting, I didn't
- Edgeworth

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I thought this was the unpopular opinion thread. AA1 is easily one of the best games in the series and a great deal of people find it as their favorite. I suppose many others find T&T a bit better, but rarely do I ever hear someone say "JFA is the best game!"

On that thought, I might as well share that while 2-4 certainly saved JFA, I feel it's pretty overrated. It's no doubt an excellent case and has many great moments, but it's nowhere close to my favorite case in the whole series. (That one still goes to 1-4.)

Oh, yeah. I also find RftA overrated. It's not really that great of a case; kinda messy like the final cases of GK2, at that. Complicated cases are interesting for sure, but in hindsight, they're also bothers to replay.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

The cape is self-fluttering

Oh, yeah. I also find RftA overrated. It's not really that great of a case; kinda messy like the final cases of GK2, at that. Complicated cases are interesting for sure, but in hindsight, they're also bothers to replay.

It's a decent case, but I agree it's overrated. And except for introducing Ema, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose and makes Phoenix's statement about Edgeworth a lie (After 1-4 "He never set foot inside a courtroom again" or whatever it was). I enjoyed it, and I liked how Phoenix and Edgeworth teamed up to take down Gant, but even now I seldom feel the need to replay it. Of course, there's the emotional aspect of it... it feels lonely without Maya, and it makes me so sad for Edgeworth.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

On that thought, I might as well share that while 2-4 certainly saved JFA, I feel it's pretty overrated. It's no doubt an excellent case and has many great moments, but it's nowhere close to my favorite case in the whole series. (That one still goes to 1-4.)

I agree with that. I've always thought 2-4 has a lot of cool moments, but there isn't any real mystery (at least not in the last part) and that's a pretty big issue to me.

A Kirby and AA fan

Jean Descole wrote:
And except for introducing Ema, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose and makes Phoenix's statement about Edgeworth a lie (After 1-4 "He never set foot inside a courtroom again" or whatever it was).

I'm not entirely certain, but didn't they fix that in the Trilogy release?

Chronically Unstable

Kinda. They simply added an extra line referring to 1-5 ("and then that other case" or something of the sort), and that's it.

I've felt worse.

Nurio wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:
And except for introducing Ema, it doesn't really serve much of a purpose and makes Phoenix's statement about Edgeworth a lie (After 1-4 "He never set foot inside a courtroom again" or whatever it was).

I'm not entirely certain, but didn't they fix that in the Trilogy release?

It's clearly a hasty edit, but it's something. Something that should have been there in the first place.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

ASCEND

I enjoyed the original Ace Attorney, but I wouldn't say that it was my favorite. I think it may have been mostly because the game was spoiled quite a bit before I could play it, and even the killers who weren't spoiled didn't seem that surprising. Gyakuten Kenji 2 is probably my favorite at this point.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

The Thinker

AA1 was the biggest ride, for me. It was the most awesome shit when Mia suddenly got channeled or would pop up to help in the nick of time. Now it just sorta happens all the time.

I actually liked Recipe for Turnabout (Note: I don't know how un/popular this opinion is)

Chronically Unstable

Godot124 wrote:
I actually liked Recipe for Turnabout (Note: I don't know how un/popular this opinion is)

It kinda is. I actually consider it my favourite filler case in the series. The environment was pleasant, the characters were entertaining, the culprit was spectacular and Godot became a different man - what's there not to love? Aside from Maggey, that is.

The Thinker

Rise from the Ashes sucks. Extremely boring, confusing, Ema at the time felt like a shoddy Maya. Kind of takes a crap on the graceful, heartwarming ending of Case 4.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Yeah. I liked Rise from the ashes okay, and I do like Ema, but 1-4 packed such a punch as an ending case and 1-5 just watered that down. Also, it doesn't really fit into the timeline and would've been way way better off without Edgeworth in it.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

The Thinker

I like Franziska more than Edgeworth. I like nearly every song from AA1 more than every other OST from the series too :l

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

I get those other complaints, but I have no idea how it sullies 1-4's ending in any way. I mean you might as well say Justice For All ruined the ending by continuing the story. I doubt that's what you mean, but that's a complaint in general I really don't understand.

The Thinker

Shadowsleuth wrote:
I get those other complaints, but I have no idea how it sullies 1-4's ending in any way. I mean you might as well say Justice For All ruined the ending by continuing the story. I doubt that's what you mean, but that's a complaint in general I really don't understand.

Doesn't it kinda throw a wrench in to the whole "Edgeworth's outta the game" thing?

professional megalomaniac

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location

Austin wrote:
Shadowsleuth wrote:

Doesn't it kinda throw a wrench in to the whole "Edgeworth's outta the game" thing?

Not particularly. In fact one of the main themes of the case is Edgeworth losing faith in his own ability as a prosecutor. It doesn't fit perfectly, of course, because it was never intended to be in between those two games, but that's hardly throwing a wrench into it.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

It's more like Edgeworth is acting like he does in JFA, even though that change occurred off screen between the first and second games. I think it would have been better in Rise From the Ashes of Edgeworth actually did forge evidence in SL-9.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

MBr wrote:
It's more like Edgeworth is acting like he does in JFA, even though that change occurred off screen between the first and second games. I think it would have been better in Rise From the Ashes of Edgeworth actually did forge evidence in SL-9.

I don't think it would have been "better". Edgeworth has been presented as largely misunderstood for a good deal of the game already by that point. Not to mention, this was a bonus case that was made after his character was cemented in the next two. There's no way they could pull that off effectively in any manner.

My biggest gripe with it, really, is the very same reason it's so long: everyone seems to be involved some way or another. Take one out, and the whole intricate machine is ready to collapse on itself. And yet, I don't feel any of the characters introduced in it, aside from Ema, Lana, and Gant stand out well on their own. Sure, there are some interesting and amusing moments, but for the most part, I found Lotta and Oldbag more fascinating than a good chunk of this new cast. Compared to how well meshed 1-4 feels by the end to how unmeshed 1-5 feels, there's no competition imo.

It's also the same reason why I don't think the anime would be able to cut it down enough to show it in this season and still have room to finish GS2.

That said, I'm not saying it's a bad case. Nope, I almost never say a case in this series is "bad", with the exception of 2-1. That case is just sub-par in so many ways.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Danksgiving

it ruined Edgeworth's coolest character aspect; forging evidence to get a guilty verdict

I've felt worse.

MBr wrote:

While I do think it would have been nice to see a case where Edgeworth actually forges evidence, it just wouldn't align with his actions in the rest of the cases. 3-4 would have ended in 10 minutes had Edgeworth just bought a clean white scarf, legitimately requesting an updated autopsy report in 1-2 made more sense than forging one due to the amount of holes in the original, and any sane demon prosecutor would have done anything to make the basis for the trial in 1-3 seem less like a farce. Without Phoenix claiming that he heard the rumors, there's nothing to suggest that Edgeworth is the type that forges evidence.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls
Page 3 of 10 [ 366 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby