Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)

Page 1 of 1[ 26 posts ]

How would AA/GS be different if they really took place in NTopic%20Title

Mystic Lawyer

The localizers do a great job but we, all know the series takes place in Japan so I was just wondering what would be different if the series originally took place in America?

Off the top of my head the prime suspect in 4-2 wouldn't have taken off their shoes before confronting the victim in their office.
Spoiler:
Would you want to have to tie your hi heel sandals run out the door?
Re: How would AA/GS be different if they really took place in NTopic%20Title

call me crazy

Well first of all the whole spirit channeler thing would be drastically changed or removed since it's not a wide marketed basis that it's a common belief in America, so to say in general.

I mean people would think it's utter bullshit. Nick would probably run away from Maya in fright without a calm collectedness of questioning it, but still accepting that fact.

Er... It wasn't a widely accepted concept in AA, either. Hence the police coverup of the DL-6 channeling.

Spoiler: 3-5
Public opinion might have become a little more accepting after the ghost of a serial killer testified and was eventually exorcized in court, though.

call me crazy

Well then other than that not much wouldn't be that different since there really isn't anything in the game that screams "LOL THIS IS JAPAN" since it follows mostly western themes to begin with.

♪ YOUR AFFECTION~! YOUR AFFECTION~! ♪

Eldoon would be renamed Regurb, and he'd have a burger stand.

LOLFORAMERICANFOODS.
BACK, BABY!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Watatata~! wrote:
Well then other than that not much wouldn't be that different since there really isn't anything in the game that screams "LOL THIS IS JAPAN" since it follows mostly western themes to begin with.

You mean except for the ancient Japanese village hidden in the mountains of California? :shoe:

The Kurain technique has supposedly been around for hundreds of years (didn't Ami Fey supposedly live 500 years go? Or was it closer to 200?) The localization never tries to explain how the village got there, even to simply imply they were immigrants. Several of the games reference Yakuza and the court system is distinctly not American, so all and all the game has a lot of very Japanese themes to it.

But even so, I think if the game was created from the beginning to take place in America, not that much would change. We don't have a tradition of spirit channeling but psychics and seances aren't out of the question. Most of the yakuza have made the change to being mafia fairly easily.

The one really big thing is that there would have been a jury from the start. Rather than an ignorant Judge you'd have ignorant jurors. They might have to actually mention a lot of the laws PW world just seems to sweep under the rug XD;;
ImageImage

I can see the feys being Gypsies that practice in fortune tellin'. The concept of a hidden village high in the mountains and be replaced by an area with a lot of wagons and horses.

I mean, in american culture, aren't Gypsies always travelling? I can imagined a camp site with some wagons near it. One can say that the Feys stop travelling and settle somewhere in Death Valley.

As for spirit channelin, some tv psychicz like Siliva Browne, do it all the time.

machinimator

Makes me wonder something...is Maya still a burger-holic in Japan?
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

True love is forever.

Katana wrote:
Makes me wonder something...is Maya still a burger-holic in Japan?

If I remember correctly, Maya is a ramen-holic in the Japanese version hence the comments about her and Phoenix frequenting the Eldoon family's noodle stand at the beginning of the second case. That makes less sense for us because Maya never even mentions ramen in the American version, but they really couldn't have changed his occupation without severely altering the sprite (he has a noodle bowl on his head after all :P). So now Maya is both a burger and ramen-holic. :maya:
Proud Supporter of Phoenix/Iris, Ron/Dessie, Klavier/Ema, and Apollo/Vera
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Mafia- Serious Business..lol

I personally don't understand why they just couldn't keep it as noodles. They had no problem mentioning instant noodles during 2-4 (Gumshoe at one point comes to Phoenix's office after being fired and claims he can make good instant noodles). Strange I suppose C:
Random Ace Attorney 'Shipper From Hell approves of Franziska/Adrian >;D

machinimator

I dunno. Being at college, I certainly would understand the "fast food" feel to ramen if that were Maya's addiction. But in a way, I'm not sure if Japanese and Americans look at ramen the same way; so they probably picked burgers as a way of making Maya have a slob-like, not-so-delicate part to her. Besides, it would be hard to continually accept "yes, this is America" if ramen is always brought up.

True love is forever.

Honestly though, ramen is pretty common in this country by now, so I'm not sure that the game would loose the American feel simply because of the food being mentioned. They never did try to deal with most of the other uniquely japanese elements of the game and more just tried to gloss over them. I can see both sides of the argument there though. If I had to guess, I'll bet that they choose hamburgers simply because it was the most "American" food they could think of at the time which would be equivalent to ramen and then were screwed over when AJ's creators came up with Eldoon. His profession couldn't simply be changed because of the games sprites and backgrounds, but they had already set up Maya's quirks. I'm a little surprised they didn't just slip in a few noodle mentions in T&T. That would at least have given us some background for Maya liking noodles.
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Let's Brawl: 4940-5319-8013

I don't see why they didn't just have it take place in Japan like it's supposed to be. :P
Image Edgey wants to be a Poke'mon master!

Love, learn, live.

Actually......

Spoiler: 4-2
Stickler reads his book the way Japanese read their textbooks. Which seemed like a major slip up in their part, they could've easily just flipped the sprite and made it look like he read it the English way.

True love is forever.

MikeMeekinsFan wrote:
Actually......

Spoiler: 4-2
Stickler reads his book the way Japanese read their textbooks. Which seemed like a major slip up in their part, they could've easily just flipped the sprite and made it look like he read it the English way.

Really? I hadn't noticed. Might be time to go back and replay the case. :P
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Love, learn, live.

Or you could always check the sprites page on CR. ^_^

True love is forever.

MikeMeekinsFan wrote:
Or you could always check the sprites page on CR. ^_^

Good point. Thank you! I feel a little silly for not thinking of that on my own. :yuusaku: *checks* It is strange that they didn't change it. I guess the localization team just slipped.
Fanfics Updated-12/25

Rabid Trucy Fanboy

I personally try to imagine they're kind of in Japan when it comes to the contradictions and all that it causes. Though it can also be assumed in the NA version that Phoenix and Maya were regulars at Eldoon's, even though it's never mentioned. At other times, I just kind of deal and say screw it.
I am awesome?
MY SPRITE TOPIC

machinimator

Hey, it's not impossible that Stickler was just backtracking to try to find a certain math formula he was trying to remember. Certainly a hard-to-catch thing, though.

no not like that

Ty': Ace Attorney wrote:
I don't see why they didn't just have it take place in Japan like it's supposed to be. :P

I wondered about that, too. Maybe they localized it to have a wider span of players..? After all, not everyone likes Japan and its culture and so on blabla.

Rhia wrote:
Eldoon would be renamed Regurb, and he'd have a burger stand.

LOLFORAMERICANFOODS.

Well, actually... Hamburgers are actually from Hamburg, a city in Germany. Its inhabitants are also called "Hamburgers" - the name has nothing to do with "ham". But well, I guess you could call burgers American since everyone thinks they have their seeds in America. Whatever. Why am I writing this..?

At least in 4-4 they had the courtesy to have Klavier say the Jurist System was being re-instated, as though it was once the way they did it, but it was scrapped years ago in favour of the court we know and love :P

Super Ace Attorney

Pistols wouldn't be illegal (4-2). I don't know if firearms are allowed in Japan though.

Gambling is considered illegal in 4-1.
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

"No, this is a reasonable discussion about pillow humping." -Tinker

Last edited by Superninfreak on Wed May 21, 2008 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

操纵距离程度的能力

Mia_Fey wrote:
That makes less sense for us because Maya never even mentions ramen in the American version, but they really couldn't have changed his occupation without severely altering the sprite (he has a noodle bowl on his head after all :P).

...Well, I guess spirit editing won't be a big deal, the real problem is the noddle bowls...you don't really need bowls to have hamburgers, do you? =P
You can call me whatever you want:3

Super Ace Attorney

火曜日 wrote:
Mia_Fey wrote:
That makes less sense for us because Maya never even mentions ramen in the American version, but they really couldn't have changed his occupation without severely altering the sprite (he has a noodle bowl on his head after all :P).

...Well, I guess spirit editing won't be a big deal, the real problem is the noddle bowls...you don't really need bowls to have hamburgers, do you? =P

Burger wrappers.

My guess is that they would have to change too much so they didn't bother.
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

操纵距离程度的能力

Yeah, I guess so.They'd have to change the evidence icon, the background of Elddon house and the hospital hall, not to mention Elddon's spirits and his lines.

I'm glad they didn't change the noodle thing so we could get the AJ American version sooner. XD
You can call me whatever you want:3

Super Ace Attorney

火曜日 wrote:
Yeah, I guess so.They'd have to change the evidence icon, the background of Elddon house and the hospital hall, not to mention Elddon's spirits and his lines.

And they would have to make a 3-D model of a burger wrapper.

Not changing it is understandable, considering the effort it would take, though they should have just mentioned Maya liking noodles in T&T or something.

The instant noodles thing being Japanese didn't even occur to me, I thought it was just supposed to sound like a really cheap food to show how poor Gumshoe was. Course then I thought of Ace Attorney when I saw an Instant Noodle reference in The World Ends With You.
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 26 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)