Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 5 of 13[ 510 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Re: Crit thread- Need any help improving your art?Topic%20Title

Waiting on Godot...

sandalwood wrote:
Hi there. Thanks lots for creating this thread ^^
And now onto the subject: would you mind to take a look at this, and tell me what do you think?
Thanks again :)

I hope you're looking for a crit, cause I don't give just comments in this thread ^^; This is for improving art :)

This pretty good- the pose suits the theme you're going for, and the outfit is sexy. I'm not sure if you went off a referance for the picture or not though, cause her counter balance in her hips is a little off. How do I explain it... she looks a little like she's faceing forward, or maybe on a 3/4 angle. I'm not certain which she should be in this. What I do know though is that the hips are balanced evenly, which isn't correct to counter balance the boobe kink. Her shoulder (her left) should be lower to line up with the angle her chest makes... If this is all the case, the pelvis counter balances by kinking in the other direction. See in this link how the shoulders and hips are tilted in opposite directions? I'm not sure about the head angle, but it may be a bit too angled, or it maybe fine... I havent' decided on that yet >.>

Spoiler: Here's a red line crit

I hope that all helps ^^
ImageImageImageImage

What do you see behind the mask?

Sorry to jump into this, but is that you having a nosebleed, Arki? *giggles*

Reminds me that I still have to show you the anatomy practice I talked about. I'm working on it (but I'm slooow).

Waiting on Godot...

Perrydotto wrote:
Sorry to jump into this, but is that you having a nosebleed, Arki? *giggles*

Reminds me that I still have to show you the anatomy practice I talked about. I'm working on it (but I'm slooow).

HAHAH! No- That's Adrian ;) I have red hair *fails* Sorry- if it were in pencil it'd be obvious XD If I was criting a Phoenix, Lang or Godot picture it'd TOTALLY be me nosebleeding though. You better believe it.

Spoiler: Me XD

Yeah- post it when you do some and I'll see how you're doing :) Posemaniacs is good for referances if you need it. I used it to help out with Lang's pose in this pic (Warning NSFW- contains boobies)
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

Spoiler: Going out of topic but...
You're pretty, Ark! XDD I wish I had red hair... T.T

.: Click on the pictures for links! :.

ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
Spoiler: Going out of topic but...
You're pretty, Ark! XDD I wish I had red hair... T.T

Spoiler: *blush*
Thank you Karmi :) I naturally have brown hair, but it's so oily and heavy- I dye it to strip out the oils and it makes my hair manageable. It's expensive, but I tell you, I don't get bad hair days <3 One of my exs told me that I have the sexy librarian appeal XD I loled hard... I guess if I was blond though, I could TOTALLY cosplay Adrian. That'd be great actually. It'd be nice to cosplay someone that I don't need to be blind for all my photo ops >.> I've done Ema and Phoenixand it's a real pain having to remove my glasses all the time >.> My eye sight is kinda like this The blury one- not the red one

Um... yeah... enough about me...Lets talk about art! I'm much better at that then conversing about myself ^^
ImageImageImageImage

fighting spirit

Arkillian wrote:
I hope you're looking for a crit, cause I don't give just comments in this thread ^^; This is for improving art :)

Yes, I was looking for a crit. My bad for not making it clear in my first post ^^U
Now onto the topic, thanks for pointing out the mistakes. I didn't use any reference (except for her right arm, but it doesn't matter here), and I did had in mind the counterbalance between shoulders and hips, but now I realize her hips look at the same level, LoL
By the way, anything about the light source and shading?

Waiting on Godot...

Well- the problem with lighting and colour and stuff, is not only am I not that great at it, but it's VERY dependant on the picture. All I can do if give you what I use to colour my pictures, which sadly isn't much :(

• Find your subject, and make it pop a little more than the rest of the picture, whether it be by colour, brightness, or saturation
  • Find your colour mood. If it's sexy, I'd go for reds and purples- hot colours, probably not light blues- as nice as they look :)
  • Light intensity- keep it consistent. If your shadows are all soft keep them all soft etc...
  • Use complimentary colours for shading. If your light is yellow, your shadow will be purple tinted etc...

Otherwise, I find this website helps for colour combos

I'm sorry I don't have more to say :( I hope this helps!
ImageImageImageImage

Think I'm funny Punk?!

Just dropping in here but, would you like to give me crit about this sprite I made?
Spoiler:

I am just not satisfied with it and I don't know what's causing it....

Waiting on Godot...

SuspiciusBird wrote:
Just dropping in here but, would you like to give me crit about this sprite I made?
Spoiler:

I am just not satisfied with it and I don't know what's causing it....

Um... I'm not really in with the spriting scene ^^; Was is it for? Is it meant to be an Ace Attorney sprite? Or is it just a picture done with flats? See, art needs a purpose, or you can't make it FIT that purpose (if that makes sense). IF you're going to be making it an Ace Attorney sprite, first thing you have to do is shrink it and see what it looks like cause it'll never be this resolution, and you'll find alot of details disappear, and shocking colours like the hair aren't as shocking when shrunk. Ace Attorney sprites are VERY simplified to the official art cause of the shrinking process. If however it is staying this size, then there's alot of things that need updating.

If you can tell me what the purpose is of the picture, I'll give you a better critique. I hope I make sense here ^^;
ImageImageImageImage

Think I'm funny Punk?!

Well the purpose is practice really... I have drawn some sketches (that where ment for a short episode me and my a friend where making) that have way more details than this one, and I wanted to get a good hang of it before I started on something a bit more advanced. And I thought it would be smart to know what I'm doing wrong before I went further with practicing .

Hope that doesn't sound stupid...

And your right, I made a mistake with the size... fixed it.
Spoiler:

Bam! Wait. That's a fish?!

SuspiciusBird wrote:
Well the purpose is practice really... I have drawn some sketches (that where ment for a short episode me and my a friend where making) that have way more details than this one, and I wanted to get a good hang of it before I started on something a bit more advanced. And I thought it would be smart to know what I'm doing wrong before I went further with practicing .

Spoiler:

I could help out a bit here, but spriting is something I need to get better at. One thing I noticed was that there isn't really a lot of shading here, on the face, the jacket, and the shirt. I... um... can't really help with that as I'm terrible at shading. The hair could use a touch of anti-aliasing to make the colors blend together. Hmmmm.... well, can you post this in the Sprite section? I'm sure that others can help you on this...

((Oh, and do you have a non-background version? I'm kind of getting a little thrown off by the back ground.))
[Signature in construction until I make a new one]
I'm back, mate! Still lurking like a ninja but whatevs :3

Think I'm funny Punk?!

I will try a bit more shading and anti aliasing . Hell, I think i will do it over again and take a look at some origenal sprites as example. Thank's for the advise :will: ... I shall post the redo on the Sprite forum.

Waiting on Godot...

SuspiciusBird wrote:

Spoiler:

Ah- ok ^^ This makes more sense now :) I agree that it needs more contrast, and it's alot more apparent now that it's shrunk. I also think that the skin colour is a bit washed out now that it's shrunken- if you look at the AA sprites, they use VERY vivid colours. Diego's skin is actually an orange colour. This is because pale colours wash out in sprites. A Barbie pink looks like a pale pink when the picture is shrunk down like this.

The choice of background isn't really the best one for your sprite as you haven't given it an outline- the character's head is blending in with the background, but you can fix that with a boarder, or a different background.

One last think I noticed, is that AA sprites don't tend to use black in colouring something, cause black is like using a pale colour- except the total opposite. It'll block out the attention on any other colour around it, so they tend to use dark greys or knocked back black for boarders. It'll give it a less cartoony look and give it something more slick and easier to look at.

Don't get down on it though :) Making sprites is difficult! I've tried it too, and I've given up on sprite manips (don't know how people stand doing it), and decided the only way I can do it is from scratch. My first attempt I used black for outlines too and it popped the colours too much. I also fought the saturation rule. IT was a big learning curve for me. The issue wasn't so much the black, but how much mental room black took up. It made his eyes VERY small. I ended up knocking back all the linearts, but I really shouldv'e made his eyes bigger. The stubble is too noticeable too. In the end, practice makes perfect, right? Keep going :) The Spriting thread should help you better than me on future attempts ^^

Spoiler: My attemp- if it's any help >.>

ImageImageImageImage

Arkillian wrote:
SuspiciusBird wrote:

Spoiler:

Ah- ok ^^ This makes more sense now :) I agree that it needs more contrast, and it's alot more apparent now that it's shrunk. I also think that the skin colour is a bit washed out now that it's shrunken- if you look at the AA sprites, they use VERY vivid colours. Diego's skin is actually an orange colour. This is because pale colours wash out in sprites. A Barbie pink looks like a pale pink when the picture is shrunk down like this.

The choice of background isn't really the best one for your sprite as you haven't given it an outline- the character's head is blending in with the background, but you can fix that with a boarder, or a different background.

One last think I noticed, is that AA sprites don't tend to use black in colouring something, cause black is like using a pale colour- except the total opposite. It'll block out the attention on any other colour around it, so they tend to use dark greys or knocked back black for boarders. It'll give it a less cartoony look and give it something more slick and easier to look at.

Don't get down on it though :) Making sprites is difficult! I've tried it too, and I've given up on sprite manips (don't know how people stand doing it), and decided the only way I can do it is from scratch. My first attempt I used black for outlines too and it popped the colours too much. I also fought the saturation rule. IT was a big learning curve for me. The issue wasn't so much the black, but how much mental room black took up. It made his eyes VERY small. I ended up knocking back all the linearts, but I really shouldv'e made his eyes bigger. The stubble is too noticeable too. In the end, practice makes perfect, right? Keep going :) The Spriting thread should help you better than me on future attempts ^^

Spoiler: My attemp- if it's any help >.>

Eh? What saturation rule? I wasn't really aware of one. Anyways, another good advice when you're starting out is to use the palette of another sprite to color your sprite. Like using Maya's skin color to color the skin of your OC, edit, etc. And don't forget! There's a quick tut in the Sprite section that had been stickied that runs through all of the basics like anti-alias, shading, details, and even basic animation.

Waiting on Godot...

Dawn wrote:
Eh? What saturation rule? I wasn't really aware of one.

There isn't one ^^; It's a guideline, as most art 'rules' are. I'm offering the best help I can. Sadly, I am not a spriter, and my advice comes purely off experience. If anyone knows better then they can feel free to advise. As I have said to a few sprites before now though you're best to head to the spriting thread. If I feel I can give advise though, I'll certainly try :) There is room for overlap in art. Ascertaining that it is meant to be shrunk was a HUGE help in finding out more about it.
ImageImageImageImage

Think I'm funny Punk?!

Hello, again.

I know I should post this in the sprite forum but I really wanted to show the new version I made.

Link: http://lenneste.deviantart.com/art/Deian-Janou-DJ-159247636

I still can improve allot about it, but I'm quite proud of it :edgy: .

SuspiciusBird wrote:
Hello, again.

I know I should post this in the sprite forum but I really wanted to show the new version I made.

Link: http://lenneste.deviantart.com/art/Deian-Janou-DJ-159247636

I still can improve allot about it, but I'm quite proud of it :edgy: .

It does look a bit better than the last time. My peeve is that the background isn't transparent, so the background is kind of distracting me a bit. There are a couple flaws about it though. One thing that pops out at me is the nose. The nose is a bit overly too realistic. If you compare noses of the AA sprites, you can see that they're sometimes just a line and a bit of a shadow to show the nose.

Spoiler: Example

And AA characters are drawn in sort of a manga-style, so the sprites reflect that. And you're good at shading the sprite, so I must give kudos as shading is my worst skill. But, do you have just the sprite itself without a background?

Waiting on Godot...

Well, it's looking batter with some shading, but art style is up to the taste of the beholder, so I don't wish to comment further, as sprite aesthetics are a little beyond me. I agree that the nose needs to be simplified, but I don't think it must be manga. You shouldn't have to change your style if you don't want to. It's made a large improvement since I last saw it though! ^^ Perhaps you should try a new one and take it to the sprite thread and get some more suitable critique on it? *nods*
ImageImageImageImage

あふれるその涙を

Kudos to you Arkillian for giving out so much CC for art. You're a star. <3

(Pity so many people don't seem to appreciate the time and effort you put into it - they just want to be told they are awesome :/)
Just gonna stand there and watch me burn?
But that's alright because I like the way it hurts

RIP Tobi Wong

Waiting on Godot...

hoshihoshi wrote:
Kudos to you Arkillian for giving out so much CC for art. You're a star. <3

(Pity so many people don't seem to appreciate the time and effort you put into it - they just want to be told they are awesome :/)

Critique is something that's difficult to take even if it's constructive ^^; Some people are also just starting out with no direction- it can be very daunting to be told 'Hey- here's this mountain. It's really steep, and you can't see the top. Climb it and you'll be an awesome artist'. I think alot of people step into art thinking that it looks simple enough and then get discouraged when they find it's not, and they get yelled at if they trace.

I feel for beginner artists. It's never easy when you're starting out :( I know I was never given any guidance as I went through cause I was already pretty developed with art by the time I got internet. IT seems weird to most people now, but I was in my late teens when I got internet, and noone got to see my art cause I was so shy about it. One thing that got me through those years though was drawing for love. I wasn't drawing for an audience. I grabbed all the art supplies I could and just drew. It's a way that worked for me, but it was a VERY slow process :( I have ALL my art all the way back till when I was 7, and all I can say was drawing on mass is what developed my art, along with understanding the basics of human proportion. In the end, I can't teach anyone this, but any good artist knows that when you're in the zone, EVERYTHING around you blocks out, and you become crazy awesome at art. THAT is what they need to learn, and the likelihood is alot here wont learn it cause it's a discipline to be able to shut off the side of your brain that talks too much and just draw creatively.

If I can help in other ways though... :) It may not look like much that is being accomplished, but I know here on CR, I've been giving Perrydotto alot of crit, and her art has improved because of it :) Quite a bit too :) I'm currently giving Nadindi some tutorials too, and I've seen HUGE progress in some people on DA's help cause of it. Sure, some want a quick fix and don't find it, but I'm not doing this for them. I'm doing it for the genuine ones that want to improve.

So um.... yeah. I don't mind if want a pat on their back and don't find it here. I nowdays have a vast knowledge about art in comparison to when I was younger, and if I can use that to help someone, then I will :) I also open this thread to anyone that knows better than me to also give crit. Anyone that post here will at least get a response from me thoguh. And thank you.

Sorry if I'm rambling XD I love talking about art ^^
ImageImageImageImage

Lurking somewhere around

Um, hi there. :D

I've been working on this piece of work, and I've been having loads of problems with it.

Spoiler:

As you can see, the hair's a big mess, and it just doesn't flow naturally. The mouth's really screwed up too. So ah...Can you give me some pointers as to how to improve it? I use a mouse to paint it, so the pen pressure thing doesn't work and uh...

Basically, SOS. xD

あふれるその涙を

Arkillian wrote:
Critique is something that's difficult to take even if it's constructive ^^; Some people are also just starting out with no direction- it can be very daunting to be told 'Hey- here's this mountain. It's really steep, and you can't see the top. Climb it and you'll be an awesome artist'. I think alot of people step into art thinking that it looks simple enough and then get discouraged when they find it's not, and they get yelled at if they trace.

I feel for beginner artists. It's never easy when you're starting out :( I know I was never given any guidance as I went through cause I was already pretty developed with art by the time I got internet. IT seems weird to most people now, but I was in my late teens when I got internet, and noone got to see my art cause I was so shy about it. One thing that got me through those years though was drawing for love. I wasn't drawing for an audience. I grabbed all the art supplies I could and just drew. It's a way that worked for me, but it was a VERY slow process :( I have ALL my art all the way back till when I was 7, and all I can say was drawing on mass is what developed my art, along with understanding the basics of human proportion. In the end, I can't teach anyone this, but any good artist knows that when you're in the zone, EVERYTHING around you blocks out, and you become crazy awesome at art. THAT is what they need to learn, and the likelihood is alot here wont learn it cause it's a discipline to be able to shut off the side of your brain that talks too much and just draw creatively.

If I can help in other ways though... :) It may not look like much that is being accomplished, but I know here on CR, I've been giving Perrydotto alot of crit, and her art has improved because of it :) Quite a bit too :) I'm currently giving Nadindi some tutorials too, and I've seen HUGE progress in some people on DA's help cause of it. Sure, some want a quick fix and don't find it, but I'm not doing this for them. I'm doing it for the genuine ones that want to improve.

So um.... yeah. I don't mind if want a pat on their back and don't find it here. I nowdays have a vast knowledge about art in comparison to when I was younger, and if I can use that to help someone, then I will :) I also open this thread to anyone that knows better than me to also give crit. Anyone that post here will at least get a response from me thoguh. And thank you.

Sorry if I'm rambling XD I love talking about art ^^

I absolutely understand your feelings about art, and I agree wholeheartedly. I too have been drawing for most of my life and it is my love of drawing that's keeping me going, not other people's approval which is why I tend to draw things most people don't like or approve of XD Even my closest friends make fun of me for it. |:

In the past I've been involved in other art forums, and participated actively in the community, but over time I've seen a lot of users ask obsessively for critique and then when I spend hours helping them, even redrawing for them, writing up guides, etc, they respond with nothing short of rude dismissal. 'Eh, ok, whatever.' is a respond I get a lot. Much to my and other moderators disgust. So yeah for me I've given up trying to give out cc. XD But I admire your efforts, and I'm very happy you have seen improvements. C:

Chatting about art is fun, if only more people were like-minded and not just concerned with stroking their own egos.

RIP Tobi Wong

Lurking somewhere around

Since we're discussing art..I've been drawing since I was four too. (Though it was really a high-heel obsession back then) I love to chat about art too - though I'm no great authority on the subject. Though I understand where you're coming from. Most of the people I start a conversation about art with...It always boils down to "Look, I made a new artwork." and when you offer your opinions on it they go all :zenitora: on you >_>

Without criticism, you can't improve. If all you ever receive is "OMG YOUR ART R0XORS," you'll stay stagnant forever. If everything you did was flawless, it wouldn't be art anymore. >_<

Waiting on Godot...

Carlis wrote:
Um, hi there. :D

I've been working on this piece of work, and I've been having loads of problems with it.

Spoiler:

As you can see, the hair's a big mess, and it just doesn't flow naturally. The mouth's really screwed up too. So ah...Can you give me some pointers as to how to improve it? I use a mouse to paint it, so the pen pressure thing doesn't work and uh...

Basically, SOS. xD

GAH! Sorry- I was going to answer this yesterday and got distracted by RP T.T

Also- I'm not sure if it's a he or a she, so I'm assuming a she cause the last bishie I got was actually a she. I'm at a policy of if there's not boobes then you DON'T KNOW XD Please forgive me if I'm wrong though :)

You drew this with a mouse? :beef: I donno how you STAND it. I drew with my mouse when I first started out and it drove me NUTS. I have a professional tablet now and I STILL hate digital colouring XD It's just... I donno. Maybe it's staring at the screen ^^;

Anyways, the picture...

I don't think the hair is a big mess. Forgetting that this is done with a mouse, the biggest problem is that over all, the hair looks flat. This is mostly because the only thing coloured is the hair though(So you can't tell if the lighting SHOULD be soft), so take this with a grain of salt- Hair is glossy, so when light shines on it, it tends to have 3 luminosity colours (in a single lightsource)- Highlight, midtone, and shade. If the contrast is high enough, you can also get an extreme shade colour. With hair, I find it's easier to see it not as individual strands, but as blocks of light. See them as shapes, and shade them as so, and THEN give it texture or a strandy effect. You MUST have a highlight of some sort, though, otherwise hair looks flat. A great tip is to turn your picture into greyscale and see how it looks. A successful picture looks good in colour and greyscale, even if some information is lost (unimportant stuff). It's also good to know that hair clumps together into mass amounts. It has static cling. A hair style like this should demonstrate that. Slraight hair styles can get away with flat shading. Stylistically, it can be done, but I think you should group your hair clumps together for this one :) Personal opinion ^^

Mouth- Without knowing what the lightsource it's pretty difficult to say TOO much about it, but the biggest issue with the mouth isn't the mouth, but the face shape. You have some lovely soft details in the face, but they're all shoved to the viewer's right quite a bit.

This is ABOUT the angle I think you wanted- right? If yo divide a line down the middle of her head, you'll find the the nose and mouth are to the left a bit, and the distance on the viewers right of her face is widened. Besides all that, I think you have a nice start to the picture. I can't comment too much more till a bit more information is layed out though ^^; She has lovely soft eyes ^^

hoshihoshi wrote:
I absolutely understand your feelings about art, and I agree wholeheartedly. I too have been drawing for most of my life and it is my love of drawing that's keeping me going, not other people's approval which is why I tend to draw things most people don't like or approve of XD Even my closest friends make fun of me for it. |:

In the past I've been involved in other art forums, and participated actively in the community, but over time I've seen a lot of users ask obsessively for critique and then when I spend hours helping them, even redrawing for them, writing up guides, etc, they respond with nothing short of rude dismissal. 'Eh, ok, whatever.' is a respond I get a lot. Much to my and other moderators disgust. So yeah for me I've given up trying to give out cc. XD But I admire your efforts, and I'm very happy you have seen improvements. C:

Chatting about art is fun, if only more people were like-minded and not just concerned with stroking their own egos.

I'm not sure what is up with that. I guess some people don't want to hear some of the critique? What I like about a crit forum is that they have to come to YOU. So it's not as if you're giving crit to someone that'll reply 'But this is a doodle I did a million years ago!' or 'I don't care! This was just for fun!' (I get these alot). Getting negative responces REALLY got me down about art. I hate DA's 'Critique me' badge thingy that only paid accounts can use too, cause it RATES the art with stars. Who the hell cares about how much a based audience cares about your art. Draw for YOURSELF not for them! They're not giving you money for it! *twitches* It's also a popularity thing too with some. Some slap it only on their most prided works- the ones they DON'T think they'll get crit on, and they get annoyed when you crit it >.> Go figure.

I love chatting about art anyways. I've travelled trans-atlantic to get good art convo infact XD I'm going to move into a flat with a fellow artist soon too. I'm very excited. Good convo- FINALLY! But yeah- I'm a crazy art girl ^^ I've spent over $1000 on art supplies in the last 3 months XD 72 boxset of copics and oil paints XD Art will make me broke ^^;

Carlis wrote:
Since we're discussing art..I've been drawing since I was four too. (Though it was really a high-heel obsession back then) I love to chat about art too - though I'm no great authority on the subject. Though I understand where you're coming from. Most of the people I start a conversation about art with...It always boils down to "Look, I made a new artwork." and when you offer your opinions on it they go all :zenitora: on you >_>

Without criticism, you can't improve. If all you ever receive is "OMG YOUR ART R0XORS," you'll stay stagnant forever. If everything you did was flawless, it wouldn't be art anymore. >_<

I think some people honestly only want to do art for fun, and that's their prerogative. Seriously. When you've talked to enough fans, you'll find that it's no longer about that magic- that story... the sparkle. When that is no longer the drive, then it's not worth talking about improvement to them. When they're ready, they'll look for it. I'm there when people want it :) That's why I think the forum is essential, cause FINDING someone to help when you want it is SO HARD :sadshoe: Cause see, you can't just do art, it's an understanding, and to teach someone, you have to understand it, and alot don't bother to figure out the WHY of what made their picture great, but another not. I'm not gonna say I'm awesome and never make a mistake, but when I look back at my art, I had a 70% kill rate, 35% ok rate, and a 1% fantastic rate. That's right- 70% of my art didn't make it past drawing board. I fought SO hard to increase those odds, but you know? My Kill rate is now 40%, but that's cool. Your first few ideas will be crap, but that's development :) There's nothing wrong with ditching a picture if you don't feel it. Keep it, cause you may revisit it :)

Critique to me has it's time and place. When the artist is ready to take it is the time, and the place is sometimes in private- not always public. I'm glad you're both open to critique thoguh :) Feel free to help other out in this thread too- even if it's a positive only crit, cause knowing what you did right is JUST as important as what you did wrong :)

And here's me writing a novel again... >.> :godot:
ImageImageImageImage

Waiting on Godot...

Excuse the double post- I'm gonna see if it's possible for ME to get crit here too, so I'll lay down this piece to the slaughterhouse:-

OK, so this piece has had a few incarnations which I'll link- may give a better idea of what I'm going for in the picture:-

Sketch
WIP 1

Spoiler: The image as it is right now

OK- I'm gonna be specific about what I want crit for here since copic markers are a don't go past go or collect $200 if you screw it up type of media. I'll get colour pointers at the end when the picture is done please :) (Realising that it's only going to be helpful for my next pic :yogi: ))

What I need to know is what should I put in the background there? The WIP pictures will show that the cards have designs that I haven't yet put on the card yet, and underit is a Texas hold 'em table (as warped as it is), but I need something behind him.

Now, Zeth (the skunk haired guy) isn't taking up as much room in this version of the picture as the sketch, so I COULD possibly have the people behind him (Krausand Cotton tail) in it, or I could have money, poker chips, cards, or some other gambling or mafia motif. Could even have a James Bond feel, or something more ace attorney feeling. I feel it needs something.

Any thoughts?
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

I'm not very good at critiques but I'll try. ^^

I'd love to commend you on the angle -- it makes my eyes travel and I see action there. I'm loving Zeth here and I'm loving how it's going. I like how the table is warped, actually. There's a dramatic feel there as well.

I suck at backgrounds, and I especially have a hard time with ideas. I think it'll be great to put Klaus and Cottontail, though, so as to have another triangular arrangement in the other half of the picture. I'd honestly find them more interesting than objects, and it gives a sort of action movie poster feel.

ImageImageImageImage

Lurking somewhere around

Okay, thanks for the advice! Gonna go plow at it and see what I can do to fix it. And no, I didn't draw that with a mouse, scanned my sketchbook before painting it. It was the painting that was mouse done, not the sketch. xD

Arkillian wrote:

OK- I'm gonna be specific about what I want crit for here since copic markers are a don't go past go or collect $200 if you screw it up type of media. I'll get colour pointers at the end when the picture is done please :) (Realising that it's only going to be helpful for my next pic :yogi: ))

What I need to know is what should I put in the background there? The WIP pictures will show that the cards have designs that I haven't yet put on the card yet, and underit is a Texas hold 'em table (as warped as it is), but I need something behind him.

Now, Zeth (the skunk haired guy) isn't taking up as much room in this version of the picture as the sketch, so I COULD possibly have the people behind him (Krausand Cotton tail) in it, or I could have money, poker chips, cards, or some other gambling or mafia motif. Could even have a James Bond feel, or something more ace attorney feeling. I feel it needs something.

Any thoughts?

The first thing I thought when I saw it was...Flying poker chips. Like hurrah! kind of flying poker chips and fluttering cards? I tend to be melodramatic though, so uh, don't mind me. xD

Personally I think if you put another character there, it might take away the focus from Zeth though. I guess it really depends on the angle/pose, but it might be too crammed if you add one/two more characters behind him. So I vote for flying projectiles. Or maybe a really dramatic casino roof?

Eh.

[/end opinion]

Waiting on Godot...

Carlis wrote:
The first thing I thought when I saw it was...Flying poker chips. Like hurrah! kind of flying poker chips and fluttering cards? I tend to be melodramatic though, so uh, don't mind me. xD

Personally I think if you put another character there, it might take away the focus from Zeth though. I guess it really depends on the angle/pose, but it might be too crammed if you add one/two more characters behind him. So I vote for flying projectiles. Or maybe a really dramatic casino roof?

Eh.

[/end opinion]

I thought more people would be too crowded too :/ I thought maybe a Bond girls silhouette COULD work, but I was thinking of flying money and poker chips too but I thought that was a little too typical XD There's nothing wrong with doing it though. There is the lol factor of the poker dealer throwing cards and poker chips at people like Gambit XD There's always a money effect like this. The other thought is Las Vegas styles with neon lights and stuff... Donno.

Karmi-Sempai wrote:
I'm not very good at critiques but I'll try. ^^

I'd love to commend you on the angle -- it makes my eyes travel and I see action there. I'm loving Zeth here and I'm loving how it's going. I like how the table is warped, actually. There's a dramatic feel there as well.

I suck at backgrounds, and I especially have a hard time with ideas. I think it'll be great to put Klaus and Cottontail, though, so as to have another triangular arrangement in the other half of the picture. I'd honestly find them more interesting than objects, and it gives a sort of action movie poster feel.

I like having people in too (If people haven't noticed, I dont' like drawing objects- they're so BORING XD ) but they will be not only attention grabbers, but also space fillers. I can punch them back though, [img=http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/014/a/7/I_want_your_revenge_by_Arkillian.jpg]like this picture[/img]. It has alot of people in, but it doesn't take over the picture initially cause of how it's coloured. I could have then knocked back either side of Zeth but further away- like they're in the distance maybe.. Hrmmm... Getting too late... Brain shutting off... T.T

Thanks for your thoughts you two :) I'll look back on this when I'm awake and see if something comes to me :)
ImageImageImageImage

Aspiring to Inspire

I think that'll work great! Making them more desaturated or dull monochrome would place focus on Zeth. Can't wait to see the finished piece, too! 8D

ImageImageImageImage

あふれるその涙を

Arkillian,

I personally liked your 2nd version better. >_< But don't mind my preferences. I think it just looked more layered and made the focus shift from Zeth to the foreground and Mia (?) in the background - it made it more interesting and dynamic. What you have now isn't bad though, but I do feel the contortion in the table for perspective's sake is perhaps overly exaggerated. It simply does not look like a table, and narrows the space around the central figure who is too small and becomes swallowed up by the foreground. While I simply love your perspective work with his hand at the front, the back one needs work, I'd suggest to not have his fingers so spread open - they look far too feminine and delicate. Otherwise having his left hand down resting on the table might be better. When I have time I'll try to do a sketch and show you what I mean, but I hope this makes some sense? T_T

As for the background, at the moment as you have it I would discourage you from making it too detailed. It's better to make it dark or with a simple gradient instead of cluttering with objections or squashing in more characters. There is very limited space already and you wouln't want the piece to lose its atmosphere by putting too much in. Perhaps after you have fixed the table it'll provide more space and other things can be considered, but as it is, no I wouldn't suggest you do much to it. Just darken and bring the focus onto Zeth's figure.

Another thing I'd point out is that his face is not in line with the perspective. His face should be more raised, otherwise if he is keeping his head level - not looking up - his head will need to be changed... erm how do I explain? Maybe it's best if I draw it out for you, time permitting.

Sorry if my cc came across as being too judgemental or subjective to my own opinions. I tried to be constructive and offer my honest thoughts about it. Hope it helps you somewhat at least? ;3;

Good luck!

RIP Tobi Wong

Waiting on Godot...

hoshihoshi wrote:
Spoiler: Comment in collapsible box for view convenience :D
Arkillian,

I personally liked your 2nd version better. >_< But don't mind my preferences. I think it just looked more layered and made the focus shift from Zeth to the foreground and Mia (?) in the background - it made it more interesting and dynamic. What you have now isn't bad though, but I do feel the contortion in the table for perspective's sake is perhaps overly exaggerated. It simply does not look like a table, and narrows the space around the central figure who is too small and becomes swallowed up by the foreground. While I simply love your perspective work with his hand at the front, the back one needs work, I'd suggest to not have his fingers so spread open - they look far too feminine and delicate. Otherwise having his left hand down resting on the table might be better. When I have time I'll try to do a sketch and show you what I mean, but I hope this makes some sense? T_T

As for the background, at the moment as you have it I would discourage you from making it too detailed. It's better to make it dark or with a simple gradient instead of cluttering with objections or squashing in more characters. There is very limited space already and you wouln't want the piece to lose its atmosphere by putting too much in. Perhaps after you have fixed the table it'll provide more space and other things can be considered, but as it is, no I wouldn't suggest you do much to it. Just darken and bring the focus onto Zeth's figure.

Another thing I'd point out is that his face is not in line with the perspective. His face should be more raised, otherwise if he is keeping his head level - not looking up - his head will need to be changed... erm how do I explain? Maybe it's best if I draw it out for you, time permitting.

Sorry if my cc came across as being too judgemental or subjective to my own opinions. I tried to be constructive and offer my honest thoughts about it. Hope it helps you somewhat at least? ;3;

Good luck!

O.O Wow- It's been a VERY long while since I personally have been given a comment that long of pure crit. Don't worry- purely personal taste crit is also helpfull, cause although your taste may not be my vision, there's still usually some room for bridge over to make everyone happy ^^ Also, I may agree with you vision more than mine- never know till it's tabled, right? :)

Thank you for your thoughts on my picture ^^ I'll keep them in mind, but because it's a copic picture, I can't really do large changes without redoing the whole thing, but I'll keep it in mind for future pictures.

The person in the background of the second picture is Cottontail, an OC in the story of mine. I'm still deciding if she should be in the picture or not. I decided against that one though cause it'd heavily rely of background colour to make everything stand out which was a little mediocre to look at, which is why I put the table in. The table is a little experiment for me in warping. I don't do it often so If I do fail with it, I'd still like to give it a try (sorry if I sound like a crit block there. Trial and error I've found is a great way of learning :) ). Maybe if the cards were warped more too it wouldn't be so noticeable I guess. I just felt that if I didn't warp it that much that it'd break the flow of the picture by cutting it in half ^^; If you have thoughts on doing this part better though, I'd love a redline crit, cause I can't see how I can do it better atm ^^; Some of it may also be cause it's just layout sketch atm. That with the weird line may be off putting. Sometimes it looks better when fully inked / coloured :)

The hand... I can try fattening his fingers up a little to make the finger pose not so extreme... that may make it a little less extreme XD I'm not very good at hands yet- practice makes perfect thoguh, right? :D I can't change the hand thoguh cause it's copic. I like it like this though cause he's holding dice in between the knuckles- snake eyes >:D You can red line it if you have time, but I can't change it without covering it with a darker colour- in this case special black cause of the ink ^^;

Background- yeah, I DEFINITELY don't want to clutter it. My first two tries were very background heavy which is why I did redraws. I was thinking it needed something thoguh cause it's enough space that it draws attention unfilled, but it's also not big enough for large detail. I was thinking a texture. I thought about doing some digital experiments

Head perspective- I'm not sure how it's wrong, but I don't know if I can correct it anymore. IF you have time to redline it, I'm curious what I did wrong, but I likely can't change it anymore. That's cool though. This picture was all about me breaking in my copics and focusing on colour :)

So, yeah :) Feww... I haven't had an actual crit in ages XD I hope I didn't sound to off putting ^^; Copics are a 1 way street which is fine if you know where you're going. I'd be interested in some redline crits if you can make them :)
ImageImageImageImage

Mipeltaja = the real badass

Location: That one place. No, not that place, the other place.

Arkillian wrote:
Excuse the double post- I'm gonna see if it's possible for ME to get crit here too, so I'll lay down this piece to the slaughterhouse:-

OK, so this piece has had a few incarnations which I'll link- may give a better idea of what I'm going for in the picture:-

Sketch
WIP 1

I like the way this is started out, but here's a few of my issues with it.

- The pose doesn't make a lot of sense assuming he's supposed to be throwing cards Gambit-style (which is the impression I'm getting big-time) His arm should be to the viewer's left of the cards, like it would be after throwing a Frisbee. If he's not supposed to be throwing the cards, but is just gesturing dramatically, you should make that a bit more clear.

- The hand furthest away from the viewer looks like the middle two fingers have been amputated at the knuckle. I blame wonky foreshortening, make the fingers a bit wider at the base.

- The left shoulder looks like its going back too far, considering that the left hand is directly behind Zeth's head. Either reduce the size of the shoulder, or have the left arm be further tilted to the left.

- This one's a personal taste thing, but I think the picture would be improved if the dude was staring right you all Gant style, or if the shades covered his eyes.

- Also personal taste, the composition of one arm directly behind the character and one arm in front could stand to be a bit more dynamic. If I controlled the pose, I'd have his right arm off slightly to the left (like I mentioned in the "throwing motion" critique) and the left arm directly behind his head like it is here, but I'd also change his pose so that the torso is facing the viewer more, but not completely facing the viewer. And maybe tilt his head a bit to the viewer's left.

- The background shouldn't be empty. If you don't want other people behind him, maybe some pillars or a ceiling.
Billie Jean is not my lover.

Waiting on Godot...

bah- double post- will update laters T.T
ImageImageImageImage

あふれるその涙を

Arkillian wrote:
I'd be interested in some redline crits if you can make them :)

Heya! Sorry I haven't been around for ages - had to take time off the internet to do my thesis. So haven't drawn anything for a while...

I don't like to do redline crits myself because it's hard to see things properly, so I usually just do a full redraw in my style. Hope you don't mind, other people find it rather helpful. I just don't want you to think I'm an art thief or something... it's just I can't bear drawing red lines on things. >_<

So um, I've basically changed the perspective slightly which is probably made more obvious by the background, etc. I've made the cards in the foreground less uniform because it looks more natural that way. The changes I've made should be pretty obvious. His right arm is now not fully extended, but slightly bent. The dealers table is now used to separate the top half of the picture from the bottom half instead of drawing a wide circle around him. I think it looks better this way, but that's just my opinion lol.

I don't think it really matters much at this moment since you've copic-ed everything already. But if it's at least just a bit useful to you I'll be thrilled~

RIP Tobi Wong

Waiting on Godot...

XD Ah- he looks so hot like that XD

Sadly though, that one looks like a total redraw of the picture XD I think it tells a different story to what I'm doing- in a really neat way, but different to what I was going for. I see what you mean by the cards being tilted- they do look more natural like that, but I'm not skilled enough to draw the images on the cars on angles like that (Well... so they don't look warped XD )

It's a little difficult to explain what I'm going for I think, but I thank you for your reconstruction. It looks very cool for a comic cover or a poster ^^ I'm going to finish it how it is though and see how it turns out rather than abandoning it though- I'd like to see if it looks stupid or if it's going to be dynamic like I hope it will be :)

((Omg- I just spotted the lens flare XD It'd actually like to see you finish this even if it becomes a character that isn't Zeth ^^ ))
ImageImageImageImage

あふれるその涙を

Aww too bad ;_;

Arkillian wrote:
but I'm not skilled enough to draw the images on the cars on angles like that (Well... so they don't look warped XD )

Digitally, you can cheat in this process by drawing your images and then skewing them to fit to the cards. I suppose if it's trad it might be more challenging. Not impossible though, I think you can do it if you practice. Try getting the picture cards and using them as perspective refs. Depends on how much effort you want to put into it ~

<3

RIP Tobi Wong

Rising Dragon

Hi, I need some help with one of my drawings^^

Spoiler: Godot's morning

As you can see it'a a drawing of Godot sitting at a cafe and reading a newspaper. I just have the feeling that the way he crosses his feets seems to be unnatural.
Spoiler: Especially this part

I tried to redraw it several times but it still seems odd to me.
Could you please look at it and point out what's wrong there? And if there's something else wrong with the picture then feel free to say it.
Unfortunately I have no reference for this picture, because I couldn't find any on the internet.
The story can be found in my fanart thread
Fanart

あふれるその涙を

liu bei wrote:
Hi, I need some help with one of my drawings^^

Spoiler: Godot's morning

As you can see it'a a drawing of Godot sitting at a cafe and reading a newspaper. I just have the feeling that the way he crosses his feets seems to be unnatural.
Spoiler: Especially this part

I tried to redraw it several times but it still seems odd to me.
Could you please look at it and point out what's wrong there? And if there's something else wrong with the picture then feel free to say it.
Unfortunately I have no reference for this picture, because I couldn't find any on the internet.

Hello there C: I can perhaps help - when I get my tablet sorted out ;-; That is if you want me to draw it out instead of... typing it out. I'm not very good at describing a process unfortunately ): gomen...

As for refs, what you can do is take a photo of a friend or family member in the same position, and use that. Otherwise download and install a 3D posing program such as Poser or Daz Studio.

RIP Tobi Wong

Waiting on Godot...

The problem with this pose is very easy to describe the answer to by suggesting you DO the pose. Sit down and cross your leg, and see what your foot does. That will answer where it sits comfortably, and what angles. Your next problem is redrawing it. The internet is EXCELLENT for referances, Deviant art has stock image galleries SPECIFICALLY for people wanting to photo manipulate or use a ref. Alot of it will have conditions behind it, but you can't copyright a pose, so for what you're doing, you're changing enough of the picture that it doesn't matter. Alternatively, Posemaniacs is very good I've found for a 3D model. As Hoshihoshi suggests though, nothing beats a live model for learning how it fits together as a shape. Learning off a photo is fine, but yiu lose appreciation for it as an object with depth if you do.

More specifically for this picture, you need to decide which side of the knee you are on. Front or back? If you're at the front, it'd natrally slide to the lowest point by the ankles while he's resting. If on the back of the knee which I think is what you want, it needs to be on the other side of the knee, and the foot would need to tilt towards the viewer more.

Nice job trying out some new poses though. Try not to make it TOO difficult on yourself though and use some refs :) It's better to learn accurately even if it feels like cheating.
ImageImageImageImage

Rising Dragon

Thanks people. I've tried the pose myself and I have a slight better understanding now what's wrong.
Posemaniac is a really good site, Arkillian. Never thought that there are such sites as posemaniac or programs(many thanks hoshihoshi^^) like poser.
I need to check that out, although I have to search for a freeware.

I'm going to try to make it better now, many thanks to you :)
The story can be found in my fanart thread
Fanart
Page 5 of 13 [ 510 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart