Board index » General » Bar Exam

Page 2 of 3[ 81 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: New Forum Topic RulesTopic%20Title

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Detective wrote:
I think this is a great idea! Though I haven't been active on the forums for a while, I remember the madness AJ's English release brought with it (kinda fondly).

However, I have a question. Will people that have been here for a while but have post counts under 50 (me for example OTL) be affected by this new rule?

I know you said "new users", but that's a little ambiguous.

I don't think it'll affect you if you registered before the rule was put through.
ImageImage

Say what now, pal?

Croik wrote:
Detective wrote:
I think this is a great idea! Though I haven't been active on the forums for a while, I remember the madness AJ's English release brought with it (kinda fondly).

However, I have a question. Will people that have been here for a while but have post counts under 50 (me for example OTL) be affected by this new rule?

I know you said "new users", but that's a little ambiguous.

I don't think it'll affect you if you registered before the rule was put through.

Lovely! Thanks for answering my question.

machinimator

This topic about New Forum Topic Rules is great! But what really interests me is this medical supplement I found that-
*banned*

Sounds good. I hope this doesn't give off the impression the forum hates new people; I mean, it SHOULDN'T.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Why do we eat Tums on Valentine's Day?

Darn... Ah well... I guess I can wait until 50 posts. At least it'll stop the influx of spam for AAI.

Phoenix + Iris Forever

I have a question.
Spoiler: AAI
Ever since I found out that "Calisto Yew" is not her real name or identity (about two days ago), I've dreamed of creating a thread where people try to figure out her backstory. A Calisto Yew fan club already exists, but no one there is trying to figure her out. I couldn't ask the people there to do it, because I have a very OCD method all planned out, and forcing people to use it in a thread I didn't make would just be bossy and rude.

In short: Even though there's already a Calisto Yew fan club, can I make a thread dedicated to figuring out her backstory?

Thank you for your time.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Magatama Maya wrote:
I have a question.
Spoiler: AAI
Ever since I found out that "Calisto Yew" is not her real name or identity (about two days ago), I've dreamed of creating a thread where people try to figure out her backstory. A Calisto Yew fan club already exists, but no one there is trying to figure her out. I couldn't ask the people there to do it, because I have a very OCD method all planned out, and forcing people to use it in a thread I didn't make would just be bossy and rude.

In short: Even though there's already a Calisto Yew fan club, can I make a thread dedicated to figuring out her backstory?

Thank you for your time.

I want to know what you mean by "OCD method" before saying yes or no if you don't mind.
ImageImage

Phoenix + Iris Forever

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. :edgy:

People will contribute one of three things. They could state a know fact. Over time a bunch of facts will collect. Then, people can connect the facts to form conclusions, just like Edgey does with his logic. And, since there isn't enough information to make everything fit together perfectly, people can completely make stuff up, but have some sort of basis for their claims. If someone posts a made-up "fact", others can argue with them.

Basically, it's a modified version of Edgey's logical method of deduction.

Gettin' Old!

Magatama Maya wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. :edgy:

People will contribute one of three things. They could state a know fact. Over time a bunch of facts will collect. Then, people can connect the facts to form conclusions, just like Edgey does with his logic. And, since there isn't enough information to make everything fit together perfectly, people can completely make stuff up, but have some sort of basis for their claims. If someone posts a made-up "fact", others can argue with them.

Basically, it's a modified version of Edgey's logical method of deduction.

Won't you essentially just be making up fancanon together?
Or is it more like getting people to guess the plot twist involving her?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

If the intended conclusion is guessing the twist already revealed in the game, then I'd say that's a thread that doesn't need to be made. But otherwise, go ahead.
ImageImage

Phoenix + Iris Forever

Thank you so much, Croik!!!

Pierre wrote:

Um... It's mostly trying to guess her plot twist, but with a little bit of silliness (wouldn't want to be boring).

Oh, and this is very important: If I warn that there are spoilers in the topic's title, do I still have to use spoiler tags? I'm hoping not, 'cuz otherwise every single post in the entire thread will have a spoiler tag in it....

Gettin' Old!

Magatama Maya wrote:
Thank you so much, Croik!!!

Pierre wrote:

Um... It's mostly trying to guess her plot twist, but with a little bit of silliness (wouldn't want to be boring).

Oh, and this is very important: If I warn that there are spoilers in the topic's title, do I still have to use spoiler tags? I'm hoping not, 'cuz otherwise every single post in the entire thread will have a spoiler tag in it....

I'd do so.

You might get someone in curious about what the topic is about only to have it ruined for them 2nd post. Besides something like that is just tempting people who have played the game to swoop in and go SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER! Ending the topic's purpose.

That said I still don't think a thread is necessary if it exists ONLY to spoil the plot. I mean....you are appealing to a niche market there, in a game founded on drama and plot hooks you are looking for people who a) Care a lot about Calisto Yew and b) WANT to be spoiled as they would be tempting fate to post in such a thread.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Phoenix + Iris Forever

Oh!!! I misunderstood! By "guess the plot twist involving her", I didn't think you meant the one already revealed in the game!!!

This is what I thought you meant, and what the thread will be about:
Spoiler: AAI - case 5
Calisto also has an alternate appearance: Shih-na. So what does she really look like? What's her name? What was she doing with her life before case 4?

So, it would be more like a "fancannon", I think. Still not sure what "fancannon" means, though....

earthlings on fire

Magatama Maya wrote:

So, it would be more like a "fancannon", I think. Still not sure what "fancannon" means, though....

You know what 'canon' is, right? Basically, it's what the fans create as their own explanation for what has happened in a story/fandom.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

nuuuuu, stoooooop

"Fancanon" not "Fancannon." The later sounds like a truly dangerous weapon O_O
ImageImage

earthlings on fire

It's what we'll pull on Capcom if they ever threaten to keep GS5 in Japan.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Miles,me and Adrian wern't doing...hehe

I'm not new to Forums so this is not very new to me. Anyways i will make sure to follow these rules :maya:

In this place, I too am able to object!

I'm sure I can reach the 50th post without unnecessary/dumb posts.
50 is a good number, but some newbies might give up to continue posting up to the 50th post, I think.

y cant i post new freds

I probably won't be wanting to post many threads, but I still think this idea is one of those things that is a good idea in theory but not in practice.

If you don't let people post threads, then they'll hijack other people's threads(it happens without this, so I think it would happen more WITH this). While I think as a whole this isn't worth it, I suggest each forum under this rule at least has a thread for under-50s to post their questions/topics of discussion to discuss, albeit in a more frenzied then normal(but out-of-the-way) fashion. That way they won't really be in the way, can get their answers(maybe) and can make 50 quicker(which is good if they're legit). Perhaps people could adopt their ideas and make them into threads on their behalf.

Gettin' Old!

Pokemaniac wrote:
y cant i post new freds

I probably won't be wanting to post many threads, but I still think this idea is one of those things that is a good idea in theory but not in practice.

If you don't let people post threads, then they'll hijack other people's threads(it happens without this, so I think it would happen more WITH this). While I think as a whole this isn't worth it, I suggest each forum under this rule at least has a thread for under-50s to post their questions/topics of discussion to discuss, albeit in a more frenzied then normal(but out-of-the-way) fashion. That way they won't really be in the way, can get their answers(maybe) and can make 50 quicker(which is good if they're legit). Perhaps people could adopt their ideas and make them into threads on their behalf.

Arguably people should be able to make 50 reasonable posts without hijacking others.
Is there a thread you especially want to post?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

No, not really. I wasn't suggesting it for my own needs, but for anyone under 50 posts.

Where are Mr. Trite and Herr Forehead?

this is way off topic, but something else. A couple days ago I was banned for asking peoples opinion on the whole ladder or stepladder thing. Now is that really fair?!?!? I mean, and I didn't know about all the other bans for that, and is that fair to THEM?? We weren't being like, obscene and explicit! OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE!!!!!!

Last edited by Tenderlender on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

Tenderlender wrote:
this is way off topic, but something else. A couple days ago I was banned for asking peoples opinion on the whole ladder or stepladder thing. Now is that really fair?!?!? I mean, and I didn't know about all the other bans for that, and is that fair to THEM?? We weren't being like, obscene and explicit! OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE!!!!!!

Think you're in the wrong place, this should probably be covered in private with an admin or someone.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Mostly human

Yep, you should have messaged Croik or Wooster about it if you'd really had an issue with your banning, but instead you decided to act obnoxious and copy and pasted the same whinge in 4 unrelated threads.

Next time search whether a topic has already been made or not before you make one. You might have noticed a pattern if you'd done so.

Gettin' Old!

Nose wrote:
Next time search whether a topic has already been made or not before you make one. You might have noticed a pattern if you'd done so.

Ceres did say
Quote:
Next person to create this kind of thread gets permabanned.

With regards to your stepladder/ladder question which is really just going to provoke pointless argument with no definite answer.

And it's these kinda incidents that are the reason the 50-post before creating topics. So that people will hunt out threads that already exist. Can't recall how many times I've seen a fanclub restarted because someone hasn't found the original fanclub.

It's also there to stop small Q&A topics like "What did X say regarding Y in case O-O?" which can sprout up. For questions like this there's a "I only want to know one thing" topic for small questions.

Plus there used to be spammers who would randomly advertise other sites (and only existed for this purpose) who would be stopped by this restriction.

The ban is in place for a good reason though due to the lack of spam topics these days it might me harder to simply rack up your post count.

Additionally your ladder stepladder topic was in completely the wrong area more reason to ban it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Sup

i'm kinda new here but regarding the rules about the 50 post thing, you just have to get 50 posts and you can do it right away or are you gonna have to wait a few minutes/hours/days etc?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

It will be immediate. But if you spam to get to 50 posts, you won't be a member long enough to enjoy it.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Under-aged Defense Attorney

Great idea!!! Thanks for trying to stop spam on Court-Records.net :phoenix:

But I'll have to make my way up now. :will:

48 posts to go. hehe

OBJECTION!! *INSERT AWESOMNESS HERE*

Well, I guess new people can be quite a helluva trouble...If I( :pft: ) do say so myself :edgy:
*CURRENTLY SETTING UP OFFICE. PLEASE STAND BY*

"Go on, you just keep running. But I'll always be there to bring you back!"
Axel (Lea)

I <3 Kingdom hearts.

Any chance of possibly alleviating this rule soon? Given that we're sort of at a standstill for Ace Attorney games at the moment, and that 50 posts is kind of a lot, maybe you could change it to something like 10-20 posts or a few days after registration? :yuusaku:
The reason for my eagerness is my want to pursue the truth, and my want to believe in the strength of those who use the power of the law for good. As someone who has chosen to live my life as a prosecutor... that is my new creed.

The man who decides the verdict

Logic Chess wrote:
Any chance of possibly alleviating this rule soon? Given that we're sort of at a standstill for Ace Attorney games at the moment, and that 50 posts is kind of a lot, maybe you could change it to something like 10-20 posts or a few days after registration? :yuusaku:

Don't worry about it, getting to 50 posts doesn't take that long.

Gettin' Old!

The Canadian Judge wrote:
Logic Chess wrote:

Don't worry about it, getting to 50 posts doesn't take that long.

What is it you want to create a topic for? Likely it already exists unless it's something like a fangame but just hop about and show interest in things you'll hit 50 in no time.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Not gonna happen. That barrier is just as much for new members to learn the ropes as it is to stunt spambots.

Besides, we don't frown upon thread necromancy here. In fact, we almost encourage it if it's to add something constructive to the thread. And if you're trying to make a new thread in one of the "Present Evidence" boards, there's no restraint. But if you can convince me that you've got good reason to have the retraints removed, I can do so on a case by case basis.

I made an account on this forum with the hope of posting about Detective Grimoire, a great-looking game in development which seems inspired by Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. Its Kickstarter campaign is ending in about 50 hours, and while it seems like it will easily hit its target, I figured some members of this community might like to know about it so they have the chance to pledge before the campaign ends.

The 50 post restriction put a stop to my plans, along with a couple of other people who'd had the same idea. I couldn't even find a Kickstarter topic to post in, so it could even be that this subject isn't wanted here, do let me know if that's the case.

I've been lurking on these boards since around 2007. Typically I find it pretty hard to graduate from lurker status; 50 posts here would probably take me at least a year, but maybe that's the intended timespan.

Anyway, that's the issue I encountered with this rule, feel free to address it or do nothing as you see fit! :pearl:

Deputy of Self-Esteem

We've had problems in the past with people who post without looking to see if there was a relevant topic first. I find it's a convenient bottleneck to make sure newbies learn the ropes. But since you've got a legit reason, I've suspended the limitation from your account.

Wow, that's very kind of you! I will attempt to make my post truly excellent so you have no room for regret.

I'm guessing this also applies for the Themis section, right?

Levi x Tide detergent OTP

As featured in the Themis section, so yeah.
"Girl, shut up and drink my spiked coffee." - Godot AckermanImage

Thanks for the rules. I'm still kind of new to court records so I kinda jumped the gun and went straight into posting without reading the court rules but now I know.

Just wanna say thanks to the team for making this site exist, cheers. :will:

Don't call me Shirley

Hi there ! I'm a freshly hatched member, so my apologies if it's not the right place to ask.

Since I have quite some experience as a mystery stories writer, I was thinking I might offer my help to people working on fan projects. Would creating a topic here for this purpose be appropriate ?

Sure, go ahead. If you have any other questions, I suggest to ask in the Random Conversation topic.

C-A
Page 2 of 3 [ 81 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General » Bar Exam