Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 5 of 30[ 1176 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next

Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (Two cases complete!!!)Topic%20Title

Dracarys!

Thank you! The next case actually isn't going to be a case 3, but a case 0, since it takes place before The Rogue Turnabout. It's a trial only case with Winston Payne and a killer who is blatantly obvious from the start (hint: It's the witness). Cases 3 and 4 aren't going to be released for a while.

I'll hopefully get around to uploading it either tonight or tomorrow.

King Of The Cliffhanger

Ropfa wrote:
(hint: It's the witness)

:beef: You mean... it's Gumshoe?! jk lol
"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions!"
'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

Dracarys!

fuandon wrote:
Ropfa wrote:
(hint: It's the witness)

:beef: You mean... it's Gumshoe?! jk lol

Yes, the judicial system just decided that since he's a comic relief character, a two day prison sentence would be sufficient. So that explains why he's released in time to show up for TRT.

Dracarys!

Here it is. The prologue case for the game. This package contains all three cases so far, as well as a small preview and Q&A for the final two.

-YOU WILL NEED THE LATEST VERSION OF PYWRIGHT FOR THIS!!!
This game uses several features from the latest version of Pywright (0.987). If you don't have that version, the cases will not run optimally.

This case takes place a few days before The Rogue Turnabout. I originally planned the series with five cases, but pretty early on, I cut it down to four (with TRT as the first), as this one had almost nothing to do with the main plot. However, while working on Turnabout on the Web, I decided that it might be a good idea to throw it back in, because...
1) It allows me to address a few things I wouldn't be able to elsewhere.
2) I really wanted to do a Winston Payne case.
3) I really wanted to use the music-themed villain in here.
4) It gives Trucy some more face time and her agent insisted that she get as much as possible.

So, I've completely rewritten the plot of the case from its initial conception and it now fits in with the other cases. It might actually work out better this way, because there are a few lines near the end which would have a bigger impact on the player than if they played this before TRT and TOTW.

Besides a new case, I've also updated a few things.

-Added a small scene in The Rogue Turnabout where Nick debates whether or not to use Virgil Black's yellow envelope in court
-Gave a new voice to Obadiah - my own. He doesn't show up in this new case, but it's been applied retroactively to the other two. It's in the SFX subfolder if you want to hear it.
-In the placeholder sections for Turnabout Consequences and Turnabout into the Unknown, there is a bit of a Q&A and a short preview for the upcoming finale cases. There's also another file in the main folder with a bit of preview dialogue for TConsequences (although that's only in text form).
-The moving evidence animation during presenting has been added to the court sequences
-Updated Michael Rivales' face. He looks a bit more intimidating now and less like Oliver Deacon with sunglasses.
-Updated Virgil Black's sprites. The whole thing with the eyes never got changed, since they turned out rather poorly, but there's been some shading/anti-aliasing updates on his body.
-Improved the main menu and added case art
-Improved the fade in/out effects
-Added penalty warning bars during cross-examintations
-Removed the testimony flasher during cross-examinations
-Fixed a few bugs in some testimonies where the player could present the correct evidence at the wrong pressed statement but still progress
-Fixed a few typos

KNOWN BUGS:
-Not really a bug, but thought I'd mention it. You may not even encounter it, depending on how fast your computer is. The latest version of Pywright changed how the game deals with framerates. There is a character in this case whose words are sometimes supposed to synch with the music, giving the illusion that she is singing it. If you have a fast computer like me, you'll probably have the sound match up with the words, as intended. If not, they may not line up properly. Not really too big an issue, as you should still be able to get the gist of what's happening and it's mainly a cosmetic thing.

Last edited by Ropfa on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (Three cases complete!!!)Topic%20Title

Phoenix watches you...

The prologue case was awesome! I like the references to previous cases you made during the trial. It was really cool how you made the little sprites move, too!

I can't wait to play the rest of your cases :D and Hooray for the smooth jazz :godot:
I think something clever is suppose to go here....
Spoiler: {click here}
derp...very clever

On the rogue turnabout, I was looking at the guide at the penthouse, but I don't see a knife to examine? Only where the body is?

Dracarys!

There is a small knife next to one of the body's legs.

Some feedback

Spoiler:
When you first meet Cody in the rogue turnabout, during one of the lines, you can see his name is Cody rather than ??? before he tells you. In turnabout on the web on the last testimony if you turn in the incorrect evidence/statement the scene with Watters appears again regardless if it already happened, so that your health bar is replenished each time.

Dracarys!

Dreamfighter wrote:
Spoiler:
In turnabout on the web on the last testimony if you turn in the incorrect evidence/statement the scene with Watters appears again regardless if it already happened, so that your health bar is replenished each time.

Spoiler:
Wait, you mean AFTER he already came in and told you about Webb? It doesn't just give you a game over if you screw up again? I thought I fixed that... I'll have to check that out later. Thanks for letting me know.

Dracarys!

So, I finally got around to creating a Tumblr account. I was thinking that I'm gonna use it as a sort of "Ask Conflict of Interest" type thing, where people can ask questions to the different characters in the game. Would anybody be interested in this kind of thing? Would people actually participate in it?

Or would this be way more trouble than it's worth?

Dracarys!

Also, I put this up on my sprite thread a little while ago but not on here.

BOXART!!!

Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New boxart!!!)Topic%20Title

Nice boxart! looks very realistic and profesional.

Quote:

1. The ''Ace Attorney'' logo and Wright's silhouette look a bit pixelated (while everything else looks smooth).

2. I wonder why you didn't switch to a logo from Dual Destinies (since you decided to use Wright's artwork from GS5 and his GS5-inspired sprites). Phoenix has a new hairdo in it.

*cough*May I help you?*cough*

Dracarys!

Darth Wiader wrote:
*cough*May I help you?*cough*

So... I totally just spent an hour updating both it and the opening menu logo before I noticed this sentence. =/

Most of the work was on the hair. Didn't really do much on the anti-aliasing.

But yeah, if you wanna help, be my guest.

Spoiler:

Ropfa wrote:

I'll just need these artworks of Obadiah and ''Jimmy'' (you can send me it via PM).
BTW, did you make them yourself or have them made? If you had them made, by whom?

Dracarys!

Darth Wiader wrote:
Ropfa wrote:

I'll just need these artworks of Obadiah and ''Jimmy'' (you can send me it via PM).
BTW, did you make them yourself or have them made? If you had them made, by whom?

Just sent you a PM.

And I made them. Obadiah was from scratch while Jimmy was an expanded version of his in-game sprite.

Dracarys!

Just wrote up this synopsis for Turnabout Consequences.

Spoiler:
It is the day before the Fey Clan reunion Maya has been planning. She and Nick travel to Kurain village to oversee the final preparations. However, everything is quickly brought to a halt after an assassin shoots one of the guests. Nick himself witnesses the crime. Yet, after noticing a connection to the Rivales Family and a suspicious similarity to another case from years past, he decides to once again defend the suspect...

...The suspect for a crime which he feels personally responsible for.

Seems a nice story to me.
Wild guess case 2-2?

Dracarys!

pokemonmercury just sent me these. I gotta say, it really made my day finding out that THIS was happening...

Spoiler:

I'm apparently getting fanart now. O:
So a HUGE thanks to you, buddy. You're awesome.

I aspire what assists me

I love the fangame
Good luck with the last two cases :will:

100% whole grain, now with added fiber!

Just finished the prologue case. I like what I'm seeing so far, but I have a couple questions.

Number one, at the end of the case,
Spoiler:
you're asked if you can prove when Washington got her injury. You're supposed to admit you can't, but doesn't Lotta's photo of the concert sort of count? It shows her hand unharmed and at least narrows it down to a very specific (and suspicious) time frame. Heck, this might be stretching the capabilities of AA courts but they could've brought in some of the concert staff to testify about it too. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but it seemed like a strange thing not to bring up.

Secondly, did you make that Objection remix yourself? It's rather snazzy. :godot:
ImageImage

Dracarys!

ekree wrote:
Secondly, did you make that Objection remix yourself? It's rather snazzy. :godot:

No, that's the Cadenza theme. It's official music.

100% whole grain, now with added fiber!

Ah...my bad. :oops: Can't believe it took me this long to hear it.
ImageImage

Dracarys!

An interview I did with Fuandon was just put up on his Youtube channel. For those with an interest in me, this series, or case-making in general, you should check it out. This may become a thing with other casemakers in the future, it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS3jS2EVu20&feature=c4-overview&list=UUx_fnZrsOhCgLrr7OnKW46w

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

Ropfa, I think we need to have a talk.

See, I recently played your fangame Turnabout on the Web and found myself enjoying it much less than I should have, and I think I know why.

I went into the case knowing that the victim was a hikikomori who spent all his time on the internet, and that we would have to go online at some point during the trial. There were two routes you could go with this. You could make a clever case where you took advantage of the disconnect between online pseudonyms and real-life identities to create drama w/r/t the holders of online handles. Alternatively, you could fill your case with references to memes and stereotypical internet dwellers fluent in 13375P3@|<. When I heard the opening drumbeat to "Never Gonna Give You Up" come from the victim's stereo, I knew this case was gonna lean towards the latter option.

Spoiler: Turnabout on the Web
The omnipresent references to Funny Internet Things throughout this case range from groan-worthy to the unbearably awful. Ha ha ha, the victim got Rickrolled! Ha ha ha, Edman is a Feenris shipper! Ha ha ha. When Edman says (after quite a bit of comedic buildup) that he can't believe the witness is a woman because... "THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET!! LOL!!!!" I felt like punching someone.

Okay, so the jokes fell flat. Maybe I just don't appreciate internet memes like other people do. But the real problem with this case is that the references to Funny Internet Things actually hurt the plot.

For example: it is blatantly obvious from the moment we see him that Togamera is the real killer. Why? Because he's the only new character in this case who doesn't seem to exist to reference as many internet memes as possible.

Take the character of the Woman (we don't know her name because she's anonymous-- LOL!!! GET IT??), who reads less like a character and more like a painful attempt to jam as many internet memes as you can into one character, up to the point where she literally SPINS A LEEK TO THE LEVAN POLKA.

The nadir of her presence in this case (and this case in general, come to think of it) comes at the end of the first trial segment. Astute viewers will note that since she was booking a flight on her laptop, she is the person in the chat who said she had to catch a plane in the chat and therefore could not have witnessed the murder. So, we already know every word that comes out of her mouth is complete bullshit. When we finally expose her for the liar she is, we ask why she decided to commit perjury. Her motive is... wait for it...... shE DID IT FOR THE LULZ!!! HA HA HA!!! THE JOKE IS THAT SHE'S A SHALLOW PARODY OF 4CHAN USERS THAT USE THEIR ANONYMITY TO BE TOTAL ASSWIPES FOR THEIR OWN AMUSEMENT!!! OH MY GOD, I AM LITERALLY ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING RIGHT NOW! NO WAIT-- I AM CONVULSING IN PAIN BECAUSE I WASTED TWO HOURS CROSS-EXAMINING A WITNESS THAT REFUSED TO DIVULGE THE TRUTH SO THAT YOU COULD MAKE A JOKE ABOUT ANONYMOUS!!!

The trial segment also hurts the case because it renders the Woman completely unsympathetic, so when we out her as Salmonella and she starts feeling remorse, it's impossible for us to sympathize with her. What should have been a very compelling subplot falls flat because of her nonexistent characterization.

Note that although it sounds like I positively despised this case, I found it pretty enjoyable. Togamera and Dreisan were both brilliant characters-- not Watters good, but still likeable and memorable. The plot was solid when it wasn't bogged with Funny Internet Things, the returning characters were great, and the idea of logging into someone's account to go sleuthing was brilliant.

The problem that this case has is that it wants to have its cake and eat it too. It wants to be a dark, moody case where anyone can die, and at the same time it wants to be a case involving a fat forty-year-old who has a shrine to underage anime girls in his mom's basement. Unfortunately, it can't be both without the quality of the case suffering.

TL;DR: The omnipresent internet memes end up hurting what should have been a dark, intelligent case.

I have faith that Turnabout Consequences will return to the quality level of the previous two cases, simply because the aspects that dragged this case down will be absent by design. Anyway, just be careful with the humor in the next case-- lest it drag the quality of the case down.
Voodoo Sprites
I do some graphics for Conflict of Interest.

NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN-NYAN

Spoiler:
I agree with the woman, I wish we at least would know her name. It was obviouse that she was lying from the beginning and the adding of internet things/jokes really fell flat on my part too. Anton Simms persona was nice, but I don´t like to go and search what hes saying in the middle of a case. Also the Canada joke was ok but it was a little dull around the edges.
Togamera was the killer obviosly but his motivation and Webb´s identity were a good mystery that made me interested.
BTW, is it possible for me to be a beta tester of somesort for you? Id love to help.
Also, I did like the fact that Obadiah was exploding in court.
(NAME AND OCCUPATION!!!!)

NYAN

Last edited by The_Turnabout_Guy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracarys!

Turnabout Guy, if you are going to post the killer's name, you need to do so in a SPOILERS BOX. There are still people who haven't played this.

Voodoo Lady, you bring up some good points. However, many of them seem to be subjective. Different people find different things funny, and that's okay.

To many, I don't think the killer was quite as obvious as you felt he/she was, as I know for a fact there is a large group of people who were suspecting somebody completely different. (And let's be honest... There are only a handful of canon AA games where the bad guy isn't blatantly obvious from the start.)

Spoiler:
And no, Woman's testimony wasn't just there to make a two-hour joke about Anon (although I can understand you feeling this way). If you'll recall, that testimony was required for the killer's plot.

And also, later when Nick brings it up to Obadiah, he appears to have some sort of brief realization. This will be relevant in later cases.

In any case, thank you for your feedback. Good or bad, I'm grateful that you're responding.

Boogy-oogy-oogy-oogy

Unrelated, but I've tried to compile all the name puns in this game. Ropfa, would you mind telling me if I'm right/wrong with these?

Spoilers for each case within, duh.

Spoiler: ...a Thousand Words
Victor Timmons: Victor Timmons. 'cause he's the victim, geddit?? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Kylie Washington: I'm assuming her first name is in reference to Australian pop idol and worst Doctor Who companion ever Kylie Minogue. Not sure as to the significance of her last name, though.

Spoiler: The Rogue Turnabout
Sir Gallante: Gallante comes from "gallant," presumably. May or may not be related to famed mobster Carmine "The Cigar" Galante.
Michael Rivales: Named for Michael Corleone, the "protagonist" of The Godfather. His brother Vito gets his name from this film as well, as does Marlon Rivales (who's named after the actor who played Vito Corleone, Marlon Brando).
Wayne Parker: No clue.
Virgil Black: Virgil was a Roman poet and Dante's best bud in the Divine Comedy. Also (HELLA SPOILER HERE) his name references his real occupation as a vigilante. Virgil Gallante -> Vigilante, geddit?
Sarah Keyes: Meant to go along with her poppop, Charles Locke. Because keys go with a lock. Ha ha ha.
Mark Watters: Given that he gets conned by Rivales, I think "mark" is a pretty accurate name for him.
Assorted other names: most of the Rivales are named after characters from the Godfather movies or the characters who portrayed them. Sandra Watters has a pretty beachy name, although I don't know if that's significant. Jim and Jessica Rocket are named after the bumbling idiot bad guys from the Pokemon anime. Catherine Nyan from the packet is named after the Nyan Cat. (A precursor for the meme-based shenanigans of the next case, I guess.)

Edman Books: Books because he's a librarian. With his first name initialized it becomes e-books, which would be fitting given the virtual aspects of the plot.
Walter Wade Webb: "World wide web." Ahaha.
Nathen Togamera: You would hate me if I explained the pun here, so I'm just going to tell you to look for words inside his first and last name. Incidentally, I am so, so sorry for your loss.
Morton Dreisan: "Mort" is a root that means death. Appropriate for a coroner. Can't make heads or tails of his surname, though.
Woman: She doesn't give you a name because she's anonymous. Like, anonymous as in Anonymous.
Anton Simms: No clue. His last name might be a reference to The Sims. He's also pretending to be a woman over the internet, so "Simms" could refer to how he's simulating an internet life, maybe?

Voodoo Sprites
I do some graphics for Conflict of Interest.

Dracarys!

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Spoiler: ...a Thousand Words
Kylie Washington: I'm assuming her first name is in reference to Australian pop idol and worst Doctor Who companion ever Kylie Minogue. Not sure as to the significance of her last name, though.

Actually, her name was a reference to Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana. Kylie rhyming with Miley and the two state names... well...

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Spoiler: The Rogue Turnabout
Wayne Parker: No clue.

Bruce Wayne + Peter Parker (Batman and Spiderman)
Same goes for Tony Kent in the file. Tony Stark + Clark Kent (Iron Man and Superman)

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Edman Books: Books because he's a librarian. With his first name initialized it becomes e-books, which would be fitting given the virtual aspects of the plot.

I actually never considered the e-books thing, but I suppose that works too. The real pun is that it's an anagram of his username. Masked noob

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Nathen Togamera: You would hate me if I explained the pun here, so I'm just going to tell you to look for words inside his first and last name. Incidentally, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

You may be one of the first people to notice that without me having to point it out. I hold no remorse.

Voodoo Lady wrote:
Anton Simms: No clue. His last name might be a reference to The Sims. He's also pretending to be a woman over the internet, so "Simms" could refer to how he's simulating an internet life, maybe?

Actually, there really isn't a pun here (at least not one that I can remember). I just wanted something that sounded as un-Japanese as possible.

I always wonderd about Victor Timmons.
Funny.

NYAN

A VON KARMA IS 100 % PERFECT

can you please give us a summary on turnabout into the unkown

Dracarys!

I actually probably won't be giving a synopsis for that case. It's hard for me to explain the premise of it without giving away too much.

In exchange, I'll post this character who will be showing up in Turnabout Consequences. I already showed her in Fuandon's interview, but I haven't posted her on this site yet.

Meet Gladys Porter.

Spoiler: future character warning

Last edited by Ropfa on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, that looks really good and I belive she was a
Spoiler:
Writer for a cult magazine, right?

Wonder what her role's gonna be......interesting indeed! :odoroki:
And BTW, is Jimmy gonna be on the defendent chair because he has a
Spoiler:
Objection voice? Or is it there just for funzies?

NYAN

Dracarys!

UPDATE TIME!!!

Progress for the next cases is going along well. I just finished the rough draft of the first trial section in TCon, bringing the first half of the case up to 85 pages. The second half is going to be really long, but I already have a bunch of it written (about another 60 pages already complete). It might be possible for me to get the next investigation finished, since I have a 21 hour plane flight this next week. I actually think investigations are easier to write for, so that shouldn't be too hard. My current estimate is that this will be SLIGHTLY longer than the other two big cases.

As far as art, I've made a few different poses for a few characters, but most of what I've got to show is already in here or my sprite thread. Voodoo Lady offered to help with some stuff, so that should hopefully speed things along.

Gathered a bunch of new interface stuff, thanks to the packages Percei yanked from AJ and AAI. Props to you, man.

Can't give an estimate for when the first chapter might be released. However, I'm planning to send out another update for the first three cases sometime before, with some updated sprites, updated dialogue, bug fixes, and some more improvements to the main menu.

Finally, my idea for a Conflict of Interest Tumblr never really took off. However, if anybody has questions for the characters in this game, shoot me a message and they'll answer it for you in this thread. (Please note that I may not respond to a question if it involves spoilers for future cases.)

OPERATION ASK COI INITIATED

Ropfa out.

Interesting.........

NYAN

I aspire what assists me

I have but one question about CoI
Spoiler:
I noticed that with the games files, Obadiah had three voice clips, two of them being
:holdit: and :takethat: does that mean we'll controlling the Rival Prosecutor of this case :pealshock:
if the answer to this question contains spoilers for a future case, tell and I'll understand

Can't wait!

Dracarys!

JordanKitsune wrote:
Spoiler:
I noticed that with the games files, Obadiah had three voice clips, two of them being
:holdit: and :takethat: does that mean we'll controlling the Rival Prosecutor of this case :pealshock:

Surely you aren't implying that only protagonists are capable of saying this sort of thing.

Yeah, but "take that!" is kinda something Only the protagonists could do.
The trials would be alittle different if there were take thats on both sides.

NYAN

I aspire what assists me

Ropfa wrote:
JordanKitsune wrote:
Spoiler:

Surely you aren't implying that only protagonists are capable of saying this sort of thing.

Then how do you explain the :takethat: soundclip
Page 5 of 30 [ 1176 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games