Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 30 of 41[ 1610 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 41  Next

Re: Rate the Last Movie you SawTopic%20Title

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
A Clockwork Orange. 4/5
An interesting psychological thriller that delves into the depths of an insane criminal's mind. I enjoyed its themes, but I think that it was too vulgar for its own good. Because of that, I already know that people will turn away from it. Still, if you can stomach that sort of thing I recommend it.

A personal favorite of mine. I read the book on my own during high school, and I had a blast trying to decipher Alex's way of narration.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Quote:
A personal favorite of mine. I read the book on my own during high school, and I had a blast trying to decipher Alex's way of narration.

Is the book much different than the film? I like how in the movie we at first really hate Alex and all the horrible things he does, but after he's "reformed" we actually start to sympathize with him. Kubrick's a master at creating memorable characters. And each one of his films is completely different than the last.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Quote:

Is the book much different than the film? I like how in the movie we at first really hate Alex and all the horrible things he does, but after he's "reformed" we actually start to sympathize with him. Kubrick's a master at creating memorable characters. And each one of his films is completely different than the last.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I do know that Kubrick didn't use the controversial ending to the book in his film. Reading the book is a lot harder to comprehend than watching the movie due to the sheer ridiculous vocabulary Alex uses to tell his story. I remember Alex killing that woman, but I don't remember if he actually killed her with a penis statue.

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

The last movie I saw was This Is the End, with my boyfriend.
From a scale of 1 - 10... I give it a 6.5 for effort.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art
Instagram (18+ Art)Art Merch
X: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: ASTRO BOY / Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel

Quote:
A Clockwork Orange. 4/5
An interesting psychological thriller that delves into the depths of an insane criminal's mind. I enjoyed its themes, but I think that it was too vulgar for its own good. Because of that, I already know that people will turn away from it. Still, if you can stomach that sort of thing I recommend it.

I think Kubrick himself said that he found his movie adaption of Clockwork Orange to be a terrible movie and that the only reason people would watch it was for the "rape and gore". I have neither read the book or watched the movie, so I can't say anything. All I know is that, in the movie, Alex looks freaking stupid in that white jumper with the gray diaper on it. And my mother said that, once she had children, she can't stand watching the movie anymore.

C-A

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite films. It's great and the violence and gore is just a bonus.

The Conjuring - 6/10

I feel like I've seen too many "ooh it's a demon and only Catholic priests can get rid of it blah blah blah" and it's all just a bit samey. The effects were good and the story was ok. To be honest, I only wanted to see it because it was directed by James Wan and when you watch it you can tell.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Last edited by Louise on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettin' Old!

Louise wrote:
A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite films. It's great and the violence and gore is just a bonus.

The Conjuring - 6/10

I feel like I've seen too many "ooh it's a demon and only Catholics can get rid of it blah blah blah" and it's all just a bit samey. The effects were good and the story was ok. To be honest, I only wanted to see it because it was directed by James Wan and when you watch it you can tell.

Yeah I'm sick of people stopping me in the street and asking me to exorcise them.

Boo 4/10

A really dumb horror film that focuses heavily on possession as a group of teens go into an old abandoned and haunted hospital on halloween for romantic and spooky goings ons. It's really ham-fisted in it's horror attempts with gratuitous amounts of blood. For a long time I wasn't sure on whether it was meant to be a faux B-movie with it's stylings it just seemed so heavy and silly but based on how serious it tries to get at the end when the motivations of the ghosts and the history of the hospital is explained I'm betting no which loses it some points seeing how silly it's final execution was. Still I give it some points for having a somewhat interesting backstory and some of the characters I liked survived in the end. Also it has one scene where a healthy-human turns possessed with some lovely gradual change special effects so point for that too.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Saw Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. I'd probably give it 4.5/5

It's an amazing story about an aging man once again brought back into killing and crime. It's wonderfully shot, smartly acted, and pays great homage to the older Western films. I can tell that Red Dead Redemption was heavily inspired by this one as well.

The only problem is with the film's message. What is it exactly? That it's okay to kill and use revenge as a means of justice? I didn't like how Clint Eastwood's character completely went back on his reformed code and just started drinking and killing again. Besides that though, the film is an entertaining piece of high-caliber entertainment that's miles smarter than your typical Hollywood action film.

Pierre wrote:
Yeah I'm sick of people stopping me in the street and asking me to exorcise them.

Oh.. *Catholic priests

Pierre wrote:
Boo 4/10

I've tried to watch this twice now. It's in my Netflix list, I'm about 20 minutes in and I can't get into it at all. I love terrible horror films and I'm going to try and finish it, along with The Tall Man.

EDIT: Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 8/10

So much funnier than I expected. Not a shit ton of belly laughs but some really funny moments. God I love Alan Partridge.

Gettin' Old!

Louise wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Oh.. *Catholic priests

Pierre wrote:
Boo 4/10

I've tried to watch this twice now. It's in my Netflix list, I'm about 20 minutes in and I can't get into it at all. I love terrible horror films and I'm going to try and finish it, along with The Tall Man.

EDIT: Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 8/10

So much funnier than I expected. Not a shit ton of belly laughs but some really funny moments. God I love Alan Partridge.

I checked out the tall man the other day for the same reasons, just patrolling netflix. Though yeah I hardly got into Boo or the Tall Man, they were just noise in the background mostly while I played Mario and Luigi but the Tall Man as unimpressive as it is does have a very interesting twist to it at least. It's a very interesting take on slenderman.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I saw Napoleon Dynamite for the first time. 2/5.

I'm probably going to piss a lot of people off since this movie actually has a strong cult following, but I did not like this movie at all. Every second was so cringe worthy, with Napoleon himself being one of the most unlikeable protagonists I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. He deserves everything bad that happens to him. The film falls apart because no human being realistically is like him. The jokes weren't funny, with the actors all feeling stiff and unconvincing (Except for Diedrich Bader. He's awesome for playing Batman in the Brave and the Bold.). As much as I hate this film, I can give credit to the impressive dancing scene towards the end. It isn't the worst I've ever scene, but dammit I feel like I wasted an entire hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back.

I tried to watch Paranormal Xperience last night.. it was awful.
1 / 10
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

I saw The Blair Witch Project for the first time. 5/5

Holy shit, was it scary. :beef:

I enjoyed both movies. They weren't all that scary to me, honestly. :maya:
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

Haha me and my girlfriend saw that movie. I didn't find it too scary since I'm used to alot of horror movies, but Paranormal movies is different :shy:

Prosecutor Yuugami wrote:

Haha me and my girlfriend saw that movie. I didn't find it too scary since I'm used to alot of horror movies, but Paranormal movies is different :shy:

I will never understand your fear of paranormal films. :shoe:
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

The Godfather. 9.5/10.

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
The Godfather. 9.5/10.

Hey, no kidding. I'm seeing that for the first time tonight!

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

The Godfather. 9.5/10.

That and Pt. 2 are phenomenal, but my god they are so fucking long. Nearly 3 hours each.

Blak The Great wrote:
The Godfather. 9.5/10.

That and Pt. 2 are phenomenal, but my god they are so fucking long. Nearly 3 hours each.

Alright, I watched the first one. I'd give it a 4.5/5.

The atmosphere was great, the acting was great, and the themes were great. The only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect score are the slow pace and really lack of an impact this film had on me. I'm sure that a few years from now, I'll hardly remember this film. Don't get me wrong, it was very good dare I say even excellent; but not one of the more memorable films I've seen.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Alright, I watched the first one. I'd give it a 4.5/5.

The atmosphere was great, the acting was great, and the themes were great. The only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect score are the slow pace and really lack of an impact this film had on me. I'm sure that a few years from now, I'll hardly remember this film. Don't get me wrong, it was very good dare I say even excellent; but not one of the more memorable films I've seen.

I barely remember who Michael ordered hits on at the end of the movie. Horse head, Luca's death, Sonny's death, and the door closing at the end are the memorable scenes for me.
Then again. I did READ the book, so that stayed fresher in my head.
Go watch Pt. 2. It's even more excellent. Plus, dat ending.

The other day I also saw this film called Shinjuku Incident. 4/5

It's a Hong Kong neo-noir crime film staring Jackie Chan set in Japan. He's an illegal Chinese immigrant who's traveled to Japan in order to find his girlfriend. He eventually learns that she's been married to an influential yakuza crime boss leader. Soon he gets involved with crime, drugs, and gangs; questioning his own morality in the process.

It's a really different type of role for Chan. This time, he isn't the happy-go-lucky underdog in his other films. He's more of an anti-hero this time around. He's not afraid to get involved in crime or commit illegal acts. He doesn't even fight that much either and when he does it's very clumsy and awkward. It's also a very dark film. The scenes where a certain character's hand gets cut off is one of the more chilling film moments I've seen in a while. At one point, we a man's chest cut open and his guts falling out. Basically, this film isn't for the feint of heart.

I enjoyed the Japanese setting, I enjoyed Chan's performance, and I enjoyed the blend of both Chinese and Japanese cultures. This film talks about illegal immigration to Japan as well as anti-Chinese sentiment, something that we normally don't hear about in current events. In fact, the film's subject matter and violence were deemed too controversial; so the film wasn't even shown in mainland China.

I only had a couple of problems with this film. One is that the characters aren't that memorable. When they die, I guess it's dramatic, but I can't say that I care too much for them. Chan's performance proves that he can actually ACT instead of just fighting all the time, but even his character isn't that interesting. The movie, running at two hours, can also feel slow at times; which is surprising given its subject matter. Also, on the version that I was watching; the subtitles were severely delayed while the characters were speaking. It was very distracting, and I'm apparently not the only one who had this problem since most (all?) of the people who bought the DVD said the same thing. I'm curious to see whether the Blu-ray has this problem.

Anyways, although it doesn't break new ground for the crime film genre; it's still an enjoyable departure from Chan's career. If you enjoy crime films and want to see something different from Jackie Chan; than I can strongly recommend Shinjuku Incident.

BTW, there's a small "unintended" Easter Egg for Ace Attorney fans well into the film. The actor who played Miles Edgeworth in the live-action film, Takumi Saito, makes a brief cameo at around 3/4 of the film's runtime. He basically gets the shit beaten out of him. :keiko:

Ginger Snaps
4.5 / 5
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

Saw the Godfather Part II. 4/5.

It was a good movie, but DAMN did it go on forever! Seriously, this movie could have at least been an hour shorter. Also, I found the flashbacks with Vito to be FAR MORE interesting that Michael. The main problem is that I'm not really that interested in Michael's character. At least the acting, production values, and story were all top notch. Still, this film could get really boring at times. I don't understand why Coppola think that his films should be so long. You can tell a good story without boring the audience to tears. Anyways, that's just my opinion. If you liked the last one, you probably won't be too disappointed with Part II. However, I think that these movies are WAY over-hyped in their greatness.

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

Have to say, I was slightly underwhelmed by Origin: Spirits of the Past.
Seems it could've done with being an hour longer, the world building and such in the first half was great, then it seemed like there'd be some debating of relying on the forest versus self-sufficiency. Hoever, the second half let it down by going into a more action-oriented film, with less focus on the character development that it could have led to. That, and
Spoiler: possible minor spoilers, okay, probably major. Thematic spoilers.
instead of any more complex conclusions, it straight up said, not even implied, that "hey, this side's the right one, no matter what you think."

That said, the world was gorgeous, though I didn't like some of the character designs. It's not a bad film, just one I was expecting more from; I've been spoiled with Princess Mononoke for similar themes in a much better film.

As ever, no numerical rating.

화이트: 저주의 멜로디
5 / 5
It's my favorite movie.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

State Alchemist

4/10 for Garzey's Wing.

Yeah, this wasn't very good. The exposition dragged on for way too long, and it hindered me from getting to know the characters better so I can actually give a care about them. I can't even remember half the cast's names! :/

The Navi-esque sidekick of Chris, the protagonist, was probably the best character in the entire movie, and that's saying a LOT.

The animation is also pretty goofed up as well. Like in one unintentionally hilarious scene where Chris' crotch is on fire for some reason. XD

And lastly, the English dubbing was horrendous. Sure it had some funny moments here and there where some characters sounded so bad that they were hilarious, but after a while, it just wears on you to hear no one sounding at all believable.

If I can give this movie any points, it's that it at least tried to make something sort of original, even if the whole Prophesied Hero plot is really cliche.

Ace Sidekick!

*claps for Gnobo*

I've concluded my "Godfather marathon" with Part III. 3.5/5

Simply put, this was a disappointment. The majority of this film I was bored out of my mind. They used perfectly good actors, but none of them seemed to care about anything. The makeup to make the obviously young actors "old" was pretty bad, but really it wouldn't help their already bland performances. The worst offender for me though was Coppola's daughter. That lady simply shouldn't be put in front of a camera. She was just terrible.

Spoiler: Ending spoilers.
The final death scene was also more comical than tragic. The actor's didn't even look all that crushed. More like that they were just praying for the film to end as quickly as possible.

Part III isn't the worst film that I've ever seen though. There are some good things, but they're lost in the midst of all the dullness. And like I said, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR FILMS SO LONG COPPOLA!? You could have cut out at least an hour of this crap.

Basically, my reaction to the whole film throughout was this:

So what do I think of the whole series? I think that the Godfather trilogy is one of the most over-hyped film series ever. I enjoyed the original despite a few minor flaws, I enjoyed the second for it's flashback scenes, but hated the extremely long length; and I felt Part III to be a chore to watch. Listen, they're not bad. I think that these films are just average with a few interesting themes and characters. But I'm probably not going to remember any of these films years from now though. If you never get around to watching these , let me tell you something: you won't be missing much. :uramidn:

Finally watched Hunger Games ln Netflix last week 9/10

It was so good ヽ(;▽;)ノ

The Red Shoes (분홍신)
9 / 10
I feel it could have been better put together, but it was still pretty good.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

Shaun of the Dead. 5/5

This is quite possibly one of the greatest zombie films ever. It takes every cliche of the genre, yet reworks them into one fresh and satisfying experience. The cinematography is really interesting, and director Edgar Wright really knows how to change emotions. Sometimes this film is absolutely hilarious, while sometimes being extremely morbid and depressing. No aspect is ever misplaced though, and it's a superbly written script. Simon Pegg is now probably one of my favorite actors. Nick Frost is great, too.

Hot Fuzz is next!

Shaun of the Dead. 5/5

This is quite possibly one of the greatest zombie films ever. It takes every cliche of the genre, yet reworks them into one fresh and satisfying experience. The cinematography is really interesting, and director Edgar Wright really knows how to change emotions. Sometimes this film is absolutely hilarious, while sometimes being extremely morbid and depressing. No aspect is ever misplaced though, and it's a superbly written script. Simon Pegg is now probably one of my favorite actors. Nick Frost is great, too.

Hot Fuzz is next!

Of course it's 5/5.
Hot Fuzz is amazing. Haha. My boyfriend loves it more than I do, though.
FacebookKidd & Milky Art

Just finished Hot Fuzz a few minutes before this post. 5/5.

All I've got to say is go see this film. Now. It's a seamless blend of comedy, drama, mystery, and kick-ass action. Every single aspect of this film works from the chemistry between Pegg and Frost, to the wide range of emotional tension. Like Shaun of the Dead before it, Edgar Wright is a master at setting the appropriate tone with each scene. With me personally being a fan of film noir/neo-noir, I was absolutely thrilled how they paid homage to it. Shaun of the Dead parodied zombie horror, and Hot Fuzz continues the trend by making fun of all the action film cliches.

This is just me, but a lot of this movie reminded me of certain anime and video games. Particularly Higurashi: When They Cry (the "evil" town aspect), Professor Layton (a charming village that's more than it appears), and even Phoenix Wright (murders on top of comedic elements). Of course, all of this is really just coincidence but I guess it speaks true of a lot of the recurring themes we see in our media. If anything though, this film was no doubt inspired by Lethal Weapon and Dirty Harry, along with practically every other 80s action film.

My words do no justice to this amazing movie. Just see it for yourself.

Just finished Hot Fuzz a few minutes before this post. 5/5.

All I've got to say is go see this film. Now. It's a seamless blend of comedy, drama, mystery, and kick-ass action. Every single aspect of this film works from the chemistry between Pegg and Frost, to the wide range of emotional tension. Like Shaun of the Dead before it, Edgar Wright is a master at setting the appropriate tone with each scene. With me personally being a fan of film noir/neo-noir, I was absolutely thrilled how they paid homage to it. Shaun of the Dead parodied zombie horror, and Hot Fuzz continues the trend by making fun of all the action film cliches.

This is just me, but a lot of this movie reminded me of certain anime and video games. Particularly Higurashi: When They Cry (the "evil" town aspect), Professor Layton (a charming village that's more than it appears), and even Phoenix Wright (murders on top of comedic elements). Of course, all of this is really just coincidence but I guess it speaks true of a lot of the recurring themes we see in our media. If anything though, this film was no doubt inspired by Lethal Weapon and Dirty Harry, along with practically every other 80s action film.

My words do no justice to this amazing movie. Just see it for yourself.

Glad you enjoy the movie. Simon Pegg is a billiant actor :tennis: so is everyone else in that movie.

Pain & Gain - 6/10

Let's just say that I'm not a fan of Michael Bay's movies at all, but I actually thoroughly enjoyed this.

Ace Sidekick!

The Secret of NIMH ~ 5/5 Hands down one of the best animated movies ever. And I adore Miss Brisby.

The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue ~ 1.5/5 Oh gods this movie! Contradicting facts from the first movie. Making Miss Brisby's youngest son a "hero" for no apparent reason. And lots of animation goofs.

I wanted this movie to be a guilty pleasure since I like quite A few Disney sequels...But it was impossible. v_v'

Emiko Nabile Gale wrote:
The Secret of NIMH ~ 5/5 Hands down one of the best animated movies ever. And I adore Miss Brisby.

The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue ~ 1.5/5 Oh gods this movie! Contradicting facts from the first movie. Making Miss Brisby's youngest son a "hero" for no apparent reason. And lots of animation goofs.

Secret of NIMH was shown often on TV, but I never watched it. My uncle loved the movie, though. I do hope I get to see it, eventually, it sounds like it is a great movie.

As for the sequel... yeah, I only saw the Critic's review of it, but it did seem kind of dumb. Only part of it that was fun is how the Critic made fun of the later part of the movie. Here it is.
Although, Eric Idle singing that song in the movie? Hilarious!

C-A

Ace Sidekick!

I remember the critic's review. ^-^

Funny thing is I watched the sequel first as a child and adored it. :/

Emiko Nabile Gale wrote:
I remember the critic's review. ^-^

Funny thing is I watched the sequel first as a child and adored it. :/

Speaking of the Nostalgia Critic, I'm really hyped for his upcoming review of The Last Airbender. Avatar is one of his (and one of my) favorite shows ever. I can't wait to see how furious he's going to be when he reviews it. :hotti:
Page 30 of 41 [ 1610 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 41  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios