Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)

Page 1 of 1[ 12 posts ]

Homophobic term found in 2-4?Topic%20Title

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I was just now playing 2-4 and I noticed something a little bothersome. Phoenix is talking to Oldbag, who is upset at him at the moment, and she says something like "Don't talk to me like that, you spiky-haired poof!" The term "poof" is a derogatory term for someone who's gay, so I found it off that it was included. (I know Jean Armstrong is fairly offensive in T&T but I've always assumed the localization team if anything would lessen the impact of possible offensive material, rather than add it. Another interesting thing is that the term is apparently not used in the U.S, but in the UK, so I wonder if they intended it to have that meaning in the game or if it was coincidental.

Just for reference, I looked it up, and it doesn't have any other meaning in terms of calling another person that. Does anyone have any insight here? Am I missing something here? Or did the team (inadvertently or not) actually include an offensive slur in their game?
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Re: Homophobic term found in 2-4?Topic%20Title

Pretty sure it's not intentional.

Although you can also consider it as Oldbag being angry at him for stealing her precious Edgey-poo if we are to consider a certain overly popular gay pairing into consideration, hahaha xD

It's most likely just a coincidence. Considering Wendy's age - although since it's actually not given, we can assume she's 30ish if we feel like it - it's likely that she thought the word meant something different.

Or they simply used a word that they think Wendy would use or fit into something that a person, being angry and emotional, would say... I think Poof doesn't make any sense to put there, but hey. She's angry, it's likely she'd start yelling jibberish if not calmed down.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Perhaps she is being homophobic.

She's from a different generation, gay-bashing was probably all the rage in her time, she probably has trouble adjusting to modern day acceptance of mostly everything.

/halfjoking.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Why is this such a big deal, anyway?...

Pierre wrote:
Perhaps she is being homophobic.

She's from a different generation, gay-bashing was probably all the rage in her time, she probably has trouble adjusting to modern day acceptance of mostly everything.

/halfjoking.

Pfffthahahahayeah cause homosexuals are so accepted everywhere today.

Quote:

I agree, who cares?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

I agree, who cares?

C-A

I didn't say it was a huge deal, although I personally feel it's not a good idea to accidentally have offensive slang in your translation. I brought it up because no one seemed to have noticed it before and I was interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Like Cat Muto said earlier, it doesn't really fit or have any relevancy there, so I just found it odd. I also do feel it's offensive, considering the term is widely-known as being derogatory, but that opens up a whole different argument about characters using offensive slurs in stories that obviously has to be looked at on a case by case basis. (Is the subject of the movie somehow confronting it, is it a matter of being historically accurate, etc.) While I personally feel the word has no place being there (Homophobia is obviously not a theme in JFA and it has no relevance to setting or plot), the fact that it's said by Oldbag - a character most other characters don't like very much - makes it not that big of a deal. If Phoenix or Apollo were throwing slurs around, though, it would obviously be a much bigger problem.

Like I said, it isn't that big of a deal, I just thought it strange that it was included. But I've never seen the translation team say anything homophobic before so it was most likely a coincidence and they were just using a random word.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Quote:
While I personally feel the word has no place being there (Homophobia is obviously not a theme in JFA and it has no relevance to setting or plot), the fact that it's said by Oldbag - a character most other characters don't like very much - makes it not that big of a deal. If Phoenix or Apollo were throwing slurs around, though, it would obviously be a much bigger problem.

To be honest, even if sweet-as-innocence Pearl had said it, I wouldn't give two craps about it. People say stuff all day, whether they actually mean it in an offensive way, as a joke or just used it without really knowing its actual meaning, so getting upset or concerned about it seems like a waste of time.

It's like with sexist or racist jokes. Saying them is "bad" but people are still gonna laugh because they're funny.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
While I personally feel the word has no place being there (Homophobia is obviously not a theme in JFA and it has no relevance to setting or plot), the fact that it's said by Oldbag - a character most other characters don't like very much - makes it not that big of a deal. If Phoenix or Apollo were throwing slurs around, though, it would obviously be a much bigger problem.

To be honest, even if sweet-as-innocence Pearl had said it, I wouldn't give two craps about it. People say stuff all day, whether they actually mean it in an offensive way, as a joke or just used it without really knowing its actual meaning, so getting upset or concerned about it seems like a waste of time.

It's like with sexist or racist jokes. Saying them is "bad" but people are still gonna laugh because they're funny.

C-A

I disagree with you there, but that's just that everyone has their own comfort zone and opinions about things.

Anyway, as stated earlier, it's not a big deal, I was just surprised it was in there, that's all.

Ultimate Survivor

That is...weird. I don't remember that scene. Was this brought up after investigating something, or was it during an actual dialogue? It kind of reminds me of Franziska calling Larry a "fruitcake" in AAI, though apparently that can also mean "crazy" or "nutty," so...

But yeah, I'd say it was probably inadvertent - that or maybe they thought they could "sneak" it in if it weren't in any of the dialogues triggered by the obligatory conversation topics.
Now, even if you apologize...I will not forgive you.

emimprov wrote:
That is...weird. I don't remember that scene. Was this brought up after investigating something, or was it during an actual dialogue? It kind of reminds me of Franziska calling Larry a "fruitcake" in AAI, though apparently that can also mean "crazy" or "nutty," so...

But yeah, I'd say it was probably inadvertent - that or maybe they thought they could "sneak" it in if it weren't in any of the dialogues triggered by the obligatory conversation topics.

It was during the 1st part of the 2nd investigation day, if I remember correctly, and it was a "mandatory" dialogue that happened when Phoenix and Pearl arrived at the Hotel Lobby, and Oldbag was there. It wasn't a "Present an irrelevant piece of evidence" thing. And yeah I think fruitcake was intended as "crazy" for Larry, as the Wiktionary page for it says that using it as a term for a gay person is dated (as in not in common use anymore, with the "crazy" definition more prevalent now).

Here is the complete game scipt, including the scene we're talking about.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/933086-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-justice-for-all/faqs/50790

earthlings on fire

This seems vaguely familiar, I might have been a bit thrown off when I saw this during one of my play throughs as well.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the deal with it is. It seems very random, so I doubt they did it on purpose, but I do have to wonder why no one noticed/took it out. Maybe it's the result of a weird translation?
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)