Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 1 of 3[ 86 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sky's Sprites! [Update 01/09/14: More Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

In justice we trust!

Hey all! It's been a loooong while since I've been on Court Records. I made a sprite thread back in 2008 I believe, but that one's so old and all the images are broken so I thought I'd make a new thread for myself. I used to go by the name Spartan-142 [as of posting this it's still my username, unfortunately...], but I prefer to be called Sky or Ten now! But if anyone remembers me, hi again! To kick off this sprite thread, I'm going to post some of my older sprites that I liked :D

Update Log:
01/09/14: New Kurain Master Maya sprite!
01/02/14: Magician Apollo sprite added to History swap section!
01/01/14: New Kurain Master Maya sprite!
12/23/13: Added Percei's sprite to the thread.
12/13/13: Updated Prosecutor Katrina's sprite with the newest version.

----

Spoiler: First off, the sprites of an old design of my OC!
Image Image Image Image Image
These ones were my first creations, I believe. Looking at them now, I can see a looot of really bad mistakes and crap going on.

Spoiler: Next up, sprites of characters from various series, including Tales of Symphonia, Hetalia, Professor Layton and Homestuck. Also speculative GS4 Pearl.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
I believe Liechtenstein was the first sprite I made without borrowing from any other sprite. I might've referenced poses and the like though, but that face was drawn by me. Dave's sprites were made in 2012, the rest were 2008/2009. I copied the broken disc pixels directly off his sprites from the comic I believe. The Pearl was definitely made before her appearance in Dual Destinies.

And to end this showcase, have a Sissel and Kamila from Ghost Trick drawn entirely by hand, no pixels or parts taken from existing Ace Attorney sprites! Height and size were the only things referenced off existing sprites.

Spoiler: Yay for Ghost Trick!
Image Image
I know Sissel's hand is a bit wonky... one day I'll learn how to draw hands properly! /shakes fist

I know I have a couple of issues to work on, namely hands and clothing folds. Also, I have yet to try out a full animation yet, so there's that! Anyway, I don't accept requests as I've found that I have a lot of other stuff to do. If you've requested something of me, I probably won't be able to do it, sorry.

----

Tutorial! First, let me start by saying that this is obviously for my method of spriting. It has nothing to do with actual sprite "editing", as I construct sprites from scratch. My tools are Sai and GIMP, but you can easily use Photoshop if you'd like. Whatever you're most comfortable with.

Spoiler: Cut for big images.
The first thing I do is bring up my references for the new sprite in Sai. In the case of Maya, I use her old sprites for pose, and the default pose of her new sprites for size. I also bring up the HD version of the sprites so I can see her eyes and eyebrows in detail.
For the first sprite of a new set, I use the sprite of a character closest to the size and pose of the character I want to draw. For Clay, for instance, I used Hobo Phoenix looking serious. For Maya, I used Ema.

Next, I make a new layer and draw the rough for the new sprite over the default pose, next to the old sprite.
I flip between the old sprite's poses very often as I draw the rough, to make sure it's accurate.

Once I'm satisfied with the rough's appearance, I make a new layer again and draw the lineart in black.
I didn't draw the bottom part of her body in because I was going to just copy and paste that part from the default pose sprite.

Next up is colours! First is base, and then shading. Shading is based on the old sprites.

Once the shading is done, I make a new layer on top of the lineart and clip it to the lineart, and then use it to alter the colour of the lineart.

At this point, the sprite is almost done, but it still doesn't look quite right... I merge the clipping layer to the lineart, then merge the lineart to the colours. Then I take the pen tool and do final edits to the sprite, which involve fixing the eyes and thinning the lines of the sprite.

Once this is done. I export to psd. Since Sai can't use gifs, I export to gif using GIMP, and then open the gif up. At this point, I check the sprite for weird pixels on the outline, and do a bit of fixing in Sai. I copy and paste the eyes and mouth sections and alter them for the animation layers. Once I'm satisfied with the sprite's outlines, I make copies of it and merge it with the mouth and eye animations and then animate the sprite. Typical eye animation speed is 100ms, and mouth speed is 150ms. If you want the sprite to blink and talk at the same time, it involves a little math :P

New Sprites!

Spoiler: Kurain Master Maya
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spoiler: Space Kid!
ImageImage

Spoiler: History swap!
History swap Apollo, where he's swapped histories with Trucy! Based off this tumblr!

Spoiler: Percei Verita: Ace Attorney sprites - DO NOT USE
Percei, the main attorney of the fangame! I didn't design him, I just made the sprite :>
Here's the bench default sprite for Katrina Rainsford, the main prosecutor for Percei's fangame! She's designed to have a weather theme, though it's not exactly obvious from this sprite...

If you would like to use any of my sprites for anything, please ask me first. I will not accept requests to edit my sprites, sorry.
Click on Kamila to go to my Sprite Thread!

Last edited by skycompass on Tue May 06, 2014 3:06 am, edited 30 times in total.
Re: Sky's Sprites!Topic%20Title

You g\have great knack for outfit designs
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/19/13: Now with Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

Wotter boy

Damn, these are nice and clean.
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/19/13: Now with Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

Art Person

Wow! Great sprites!
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/20/13: More Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

Whoa, nice Maya sprites! Are you going to make remaining poses? :D

Also... Can I use these? ^^
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/20/13: More Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

In justice we trust!

Yep, I will probably make all of Maya's poses, maybe add new ones, so long as my interest in making them remains.

Sure, go ahead!
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/26/13: More Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

Question: Do you anti-alias your newer sprites by hand, or are they resized?

(Also, if you'd like, I wouldn't mind redlining Sissel's hand for you.)
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

Hahah, I only just saw these newest sprites. "Amazing" is an understatement! <3

In justice we trust!

mercurialSK wrote:
Question: Do you anti-alias your newer sprites by hand, or are they resized?

I've taken to drawing all the sprite lineart using the pen tool instead of pencil/binary, so I guess I anti-alias by hand?

Ok, I'm a dumb and only just understood what you meant by redlining. Go ahead!
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/27/13: More Master Maya!]Topic%20Title

Could you give some sort of a tutorial on drawing sprites? ^^ I would really like to be able to sprite like that :D

In justice we trust!

Sligneris wrote:
Could you give some sort of a tutorial on drawing sprites? ^^ I would really like to be able to sprite like that :D

Sure thing! I'll create a tutorial using the next Maya sprite I work on. It should be appended to the original post in the next few days.

Spartan-142 wrote:
I've taken to drawing all the sprite lineart using the pen tool instead of pencil/binary, so I guess I anti-alias by hand?

Oh, I see! That explains a lot. I actually meant old-school style for shading, where every intermediate shade is pixelled one at a time. That's... actually really smart. Wow. Perhaps I should do that too, since there's really no such thing as hardware limitations nowadays... Do you restrict the colour palette when exporting?

Re: redlining, sorry about the confusion. I just thought I'd offer some critique and suggestions because it appeared like you were after some.

Spoiler: Have a sketchy redline :)
Pink, actually, because red is a horribly demoralising colour.

The List:
- Wrist tilted outwards some more. The lower the fingers are to be pointed (so the greater the reflex angle between arm and palm), the more the hand should be tilted outwards instead to compensate.
- Thumb pointed upwards instead of inward toward the forefinger. This is to do with how the thumb connects to the wrist and the direction of the joint there.
- Fingers splayed. There's nothing wrong with having the fingers together, it's mainly my personal flair - keeps the sprite more interesting especially since they're so small.

Note that the palm is more rounded than rectangular compared to yours in the correction I made because I didn't notice *cough* that's my style. And the thumb can also be closer.

Edit: Excuse the poorly-drawn fingers, please. Wrestling with mouse strokes is too time-consuming.

#Masterplan

Wow, I must say that I am really impressed by your sprites, you have great talent. I was wondering, do you plan on also doing Maya's bench aide animations? Also if you want to, you should try doing some front facing sprites of classic suited Phoenix with his frontward poses from Dual Destinies.

Something like these, but with his classic AA1-AA3 look:
Spoiler:

Only a suggestion, keep up the good work!

In justice we trust!

mercurialSK wrote:
Spartan-142 wrote:

Oh, I see! That explains a lot. I actually meant old-school style for shading, where every intermediate shade is pixelled one at a time. That's... actually really smart. Wow. Perhaps I should do that too, since there's really no such thing as hardware limitations nowadays... Do you restrict the colour palette when exporting?

Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't pixel the intermediate shade one at a time. I just use the pen tool to cover that for me. And I don't restrict the colour palette when exporting, though maybe I should try that out... it might stop my sprites from looking too smooth...

mercurialSK wrote:
Re: redlining, sorry about the confusion. I just thought I'd offer some critique and suggestions because it appeared like you were after some.

Spoiler: Have a sketchy redline :)
Pink, actually, because red is a horribly demoralising colour.

The List:
- Wrist tilted outwards some more. The lower the fingers are to be pointed (so the greater the reflex angle between arm and palm), the more the hand should be tilted outwards instead to compensate.
- Thumb pointed upwards instead of inward toward the forefinger. This is to do with how the thumb connects to the wrist and the direction of the joint there.
- Fingers splayed. There's nothing wrong with having the fingers together, it's mainly my personal flair - keeps the sprite more interesting especially since they're so small.

Note that the palm is more rounded than rectangular compared to yours in the correction I made because I didn't notice *cough* that's my style. And the thumb can also be closer.

Edit: Excuse the poorly-drawn fingers, please. Wrestling with mouse strokes is too time-consuming.

Ooooohhhh, thank you!! That's really helpful!!! I might fix his hand over the weekend then... Thanks again! :D

Eggman249 wrote:
Wow, I must say that I am really impressed by your sprites, you have great talent. I was wondering, do you plan on also doing Maya's bench aide animations? Also if you want to, you should try doing some front facing sprites of classic suited Phoenix with his frontward poses from Dual Destinies.

Originally I wasn't going to, but I've since decided to collaborate with someone in working on fancases for Pywright, and Maya aide sprites are required, so yes, I will be doing her bench aide animations! I will also be adding new front facing poses to show her maturity and seriousness as the Kurain Master.

I might have to sprite DD Phoenix anyway, so I can also do classic suited Phoenix while I'm at it! :D But that might come after I'm done tormenting everyone I know with more sprites of the space kid. :karma:

The video game boy; the one who wins

Clay! <3
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/28/13: More Maya and a TutoriaTopic%20Title

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

Ah, what a brilliant job with these sprites! :will:
I wish I had any useful feedback... :shoe:
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/28/13: More Maya and a TutoriaTopic%20Title

The EPIC return of Mr. Hobo!

Oh. My. God. Those Maya and Clay sprites. Totally mind blown. ;w; Beats the hell out of my AA:DD Phoenix Sprites I'm working on right now. (I've only got static poses right now, and currently only two. XD I haven't posted them, yet, though.)
Click the image above to view my Sprite Topic!
Re: Sky's Sprites! [Update 11/28/13: More space kid!]Topic%20Title

My name is Judge.

God bless you for your Clay sprites, and I love your design on Maya! Excellent work throughout!

Dracarys!

Those Maya and Clay sprites are absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Apollon Flame

Wow! Your sprites, they're... they're... they're... IMMMMMM-PRESSIVE! :OOOOOOOO Kurain Master Maya is BRILLIANTLY well done!
A King

in name

alone...

I love the Maya's sprites, she looks like 24 , but you know, if we talk in Dual Destinies time, she is almost 30, she is the same age as Simon Blackquil, they're both born in 1999.

In justice we trust!

She's 28 to be specific. I used Ema's sprites as reference, which may be why she looks so young. Let's just pass it off as she looks younger than she is :P

Pixel Artist

Gah. It's Space Terraaaan (I used to call him Space Kid but then this kinda stuck. C: ). :acro:
Those expressions are exactly how I imagined him to be like. And there's Maya too.
Great job! I will not stalk this thread look forward to seeing your next works. :notes: I never knew you could sprite on SAI. o . o One of these days I'll give it a try! = 7 =
( - )
Sprite Thread
( - )

In justice we trust!

Sai is not a general sprite editing program, yes. In fact, I don't use it for sprite editing, I use it for sprite creating. I wouldn't recommend that you use it unless you're the type to draw a lot of the sprite from scratch. I just tend to use it due to weird complications involving my tablet and two screens. Otherwise I would be more inclined to use GIMP alone.

Strange, I remember writing this reply earlier...

The second Clay sprite has a great expression and looks much better than the first, in my opinion. However, the two don't look like they're part of the same set. It's mostly noticeable in their skin tones - they look like they're different because the context has been changed; the colours in the outline are more saturated in the second compared to the first, so it appears lighter and less gray. Also the chip in his visor doesn't look consistent with the first sprite where it's mostly blended in.

I'm really liking how you've done his mouth movements, though. Ideally the tongue's red would be the same red as the logo and the arm...things (or the same as the blush) but you're working with a lot more colours than a typical sprite would have.

I also left a link to a billion hand guides and references as well, not sure if you saw it.

In justice we trust!

I think your advice on the colours is giving me a meltdown, I want to limit the palette but I have no idea how besides literally redrawing all the sprites again ;____;

Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. But it's going to take some work to fix all these sprites...

Last edited by skycompass on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan-142 wrote:
I think your advice on the colours is giving me a meltdown, I want to limit the palette but I have no idea how besides literally redrawing all the sprites again ;____;

DON'T WORRY, IT'S OKAY. Breathe, Sky! You're fine! :apollo:

Convert the sprite to be Indexed. Here's a guide on doing that in GIMP. Hey presto. There shouldn't be too much to lose from Clay's sprite, but Maya's Magatama will end up with some skin-tones...

Also, if you're curious, I took a proper look at the colours for you - it turns out 247 was actually the colours in embarassed Clay's first frame. (His tongue is a veeery slightly different shade of red, as I mentioned earlier.)

In justice we trust!

Yep, I figured it out! But the sprites look weird after conversion, so I think I'm going to have to sit down and fix them individually now... ;w;

Art Person

Spartan-142 wrote:
Spoiler: Space Kid!
ImageImage

If you would like to use any of my sprites for anything, please ask me first. I probably won't say no [but I might, and please respect that if I do].

:pearl-blush: :pearl-blush: :pearl-blush: :pearl-blush:
Spoiler:
IT'S CLAY!
I'm having a serious breakdown right now! These are amazing! And you Maya sprites are incredible!

Your Clay sprites are amazing I want to cry!!!!
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

My name is Judge.

The important thing with sprites and colors is that you maintain a single palette across every sprite. SAI should have a palette tool, I would think, so that way you maintain consistency from sprite to sprite. It may be simpler for you to draw each sprite, apply the palette, and then do whatever cleanup work is necessary.

In justice we trust!

So I reduced the number of colours for Maya down to 44, which is about the same amount as Lamiroir... @__@ Anything look off about it?

I just blue myself

Looks good to me! Have you done that for all the Master Maya sprites?
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

But in all honesty, META humour sucks.

In justice we trust!

They've all had their palettes reduced, but they need adjustment to look better after the conversion, so the default pose is the only one I've fixed so far;; Once they're all fixed I'll put them into the original post. Then I'll fix Clay, and once I'm done with that I'll finally start making more sprites for Maya again.

Call me Kass.

wow these are incredible. i'm no spriter/game maker, but i'm keeping an eye on these just because they're fantastic.

Seasoned Animator

Can I ask for permission to use the Maya sprites for my game please?
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Project Justice - Co-developed with Hesseldahl
Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter

In justice we trust!

ApolloAvalon wrote:
Can I ask for permission to use the Maya sprites for my game please?

Sure! I just ask that you wait until I fix all my sprites to have less colours, unless you would prefer to use the smoother version for your game.

Seasoned Animator

No worries.

I've seen that you've already fixed the default one, so I'll wait for the rest to be fixed.
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Project Justice - Co-developed with Hesseldahl
Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter

Apollon Flame

Question: the quality of yours sprites is impressive, as in, the colors, they're vibrant, like HD. xD
How did you achieve this?
A King

in name

alone...

Spartan-142 wrote:

Sure! I just ask that you wait until I fix all my sprites to have less colours, unless you would prefer to use the smoother version for your game.

Please keep both of them in the thread, k? ^w^
Page 1 of 3 [ 86 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites