Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 33 of 41[ 1610 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next

Re: Rate the Last Movie you SawTopic%20Title

Shelly_De_Killer wrote:
What is considered German comedy?

I hope you're not asking me. I have no real social contact with Germans, unless it's a doctor's visit or similar, anymore. But from what I recall, Germans have a dry sense of humor.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Shelly_De_Killer wrote:
What is considered German comedy?

I hope you're not asking me. I have no real social contact with Germans, unless it's a doctor's visit or similar, anymore. But from what I recall, Germans have a dry sense of humor.

C-A

well yeah haha. Your doctor never once tried telling you a joke to cheer you up once? and alot of people say that, I remember one South Park episode that made fun of that.

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
XD C'mon Cat don't fit into German stereotypes of a lack of humour. My friend who spent a year in Germany already says it's true Germans don't really have any humour but must be something.

Thank you for generalizing people like everyone else on the internet.
Tell that to your friend, too. Germans have a sense of humor, it's just different.
Just like with Americans and British humor, like in this case.

I have a sense of humor, Pierre, thank you very much. And you should know that, I have made pun posts and mentioned things I find hilarious before. As I said, it's british humor that I don't understand. Ministry of Silly Walks? Funny. "Now that's what I'd call a dead Parrot"? Not funny.

C-A

Psshaw I was saying I don't believe the stereotype but sure I'd say we have VERY different senses of humour.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The King of All

I recently watched an action movie where a serial killer murders a mother and leaves the father unharmed but severely injures the child. Years later in a crazy turn of events, the son is kidnapped and the father must team up with a disabled woman to travel thousands of miles to rescue the son. And the title of the film you ask?

Finding Nemo. 5/5
The king of all, Sir Duke

Pixel Artist

Spoiler:
Deadpool 9 wrote:
I recently watched an action movie where a serial killer murders a mother and leaves the father unharmed but severely injures the child. Years later in a crazy turn of events, the son is kidnapped and the father must team up with a disabled woman to travel thousands of miles to rescue the son. And the title of the film you ask?

Finding Nemo. 5/5

Wow. I only got it when I saw the title. :udgey:
The last movie I watched was Departures. (or "Okuribito") Basically the story goes like this: a cellist goes unemployed and finds himself looking for a job. He reads an ad titled "Departures", applies and gets the job. (thinking it had something to do with travel) "Departures" actually meant preparing the dead. I watched it for Joe Hisaishi's involvement but never expected to love it. Highly recommended.
I rate it a 5 / 5. Beautiful plot, soundtrack and execution.
( - )
Sprite Thread
( - )

The King of All

I saw a buddy comedy recently where this dirty and despised man is evicted out of his house and is forced to find a wife for the royalty to save his house, so he and Eddie Murphy go to a far away land and they save the lady. The man soon falls in love with the lady and learns a little about himself and life.

Shrek was such a great movie, one of my favorites. 5/5 :godot:

Quote:
Wow. I only got it when I saw the title. :udgey:

Finding Nemo is the ultimate action movie! :gant:

More Survival Horror in my opinion :hotti:

Quote:
well yeah haha. Your doctor never once tried telling you a joke to cheer you up once?

...No. When I broke down crying for no reason at my doctor's, she let me pull myself together. Besides, I have my sense of humor, even different from Germans, so their jokes may not seem funny to me. I laugh at "inappropriate" jokes at times.

C-A

The World's End. 5/5.

I had my doubts that they could do it a third time, but after seeing The World's End I've concluded that Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost put together is one of the best collaborations ever seen in cinema. The Cornetto Trilogy (referenced by the flavors of said ice cream that cameos in each film) as people call it is simply a masterpiece. The World's End sends everything off on a high note bring the themes established in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz full circle. You've got that trademarked Pegg and Frost British humor seen in their previous films mixed with some surprisingly serous and deep philosophical themes. There are Easter eggs and hints galore that tie the three films together. Can you spot them all?

This time around the genre being parodied is science fiction, but I think it's more downplayed compared to Shaun's horror and Fuzz's neo-noir buddy cop action themes. We see Pegg and Frost's usual roles completely reversed. It surprised me to see Pegg as the immature childish one while Frost is the serious straight man. However, my fears that they wouldn't be able to put it off were quickly put to rest after the first 30 minutes. Many will probably have different opinions on how the film can be interpreted, but I personally view it as a message about non-conformity. Should we try our best to be productive members of society or should we simply be "free" and simply have a good time? Is our youth really worth re-living or should we simply move on? Whatever the case, it's a film that doesn't have so much of a clear-cut answer. The final moments of The World's End are especially poignant and will likely catch most viewers completely off-guard.

Start to finish, this is one hilarious, entertaining, and moving picture that's also one of the best films of the year. It's not a requirement to have seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz to properly enjoy The World's End, but I could argue that one should probably have viewed them first to get the full experience. Either way, this is one trilogy that's should be required viewing for anyone with even the slightest appreciation for good cinema. But enough of my review, see this trilogy immediately!

The dwarf geeky panda!

Maybe it's because I didn't understand the english well or I'm retarded. But I found the movie a little bland even if there was some nice quote like "if we can say that 2+2=4, then everything fall" or something along those lines. The actors were something and I'm ready to give it another chance if I can find some subtitles. Also this may just be me but there was a huge uneasyness when I see the crowd screaming for big brother.

2.5/5

Clockwork Orange

I was due to see this movie. Heard a lot, was worth my time. The violence passed well for me wich is rare because I have hard time to tolerate violence. Maybe it passed since it was an old movie and the scene where obviously choregraphied. That aside, like the plans, like the style, like the music, like the main character (except his suit) and most importantly LOVED the story. I was shocked when I saw how pavlov/skinner method can be devastating on a human being but hopefuly it is only a movie (or can it be...). I liked some quote, and I must admit it, I had a little pity for Alex, even if he is an horrible person, but still.

4.5/5

The Wave (because I don't remember the german name)

Okay, I saw it in secondary 5, but still great movie. Even if it traumatise me a bit. I know that sometime Germans can highlight a lot the subject of group ressembling to Nazism and put emphasis on how it is bad and such. First of all, I read the book before watching it, and I think the movie is better. I see more how the characters got into it and why they stay blind than the difficulty to make them see the truth highlighted in the book. Since this movie, I tend to judge social groups like environnmentalist and political ones a bit harsher than before, which is not necessaly a good thing that aside.

4/5 (the end is quite intense though.)

Don't judge me now, I don't always watch serious movies. But I only talk about the most interesting ones.
Please don't hit me...

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

White Chicks
5 / 10

I'm so sick of my boyfriend putting it on when he comes over. It loses its humor when it's played a lot.
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Gettin' Old!

Higanjima wrote:
White Chicks
5 / 10

I'm so sick of my boyfriend putting it on when he comes over. It loses its humor when it's played a lot.

He keeps putting it on? Normally I'll watch a film once with my girlfriend in any given time period. Maybe if it was really good and we both enjoyed it we'll watch it again a lot later if nothing else is on but we'd never really repeat a film multiple times.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Higanjima wrote:
White Chicks
5 / 10

He keeps putting it on? Normally I'll watch a film once with my girlfriend in any given time period. Maybe if it was really good and we both enjoyed it we'll watch it again a lot later if nothing else is on but we'd never really repeat a film multiple times.

Whenever he comes over, he puts it on or mentions it when I have trouble looking for something to watch on Netflix. It was funny the first few times, but then I got tired of it all.

Gettin' Old!

Bit of a while ago but worth noting:

Captain Phillips: 7/10

It was real entertaining for a good bit, first half was more enjoyable than the second but that's because I get a little sceptical whenever heavy amounts of American military ordinance are used in films. I think I recall hearing that due to the large cost of military hardware for films that often film companies just make a deal with the military that so long as they are portrayed according to their wishes they'll loan the necessary gear to the film makers.

Granted it's based on a true story and all but it just nags at me when I see them showing off massive amounts of military hardware.

Entertainingly while watching it there was a moment in the first half where the pirates count down to execute a prisoner at gunpoint to coerce the titular Captain to operate, very tense. For a change of pace I'd opted for Wasabi peas as a mid-movie snack, sealed up tight in a ring-pull can. After a little bit of a struggle I managed to get the can open while the pirate was at the "2" count. What happened was a loud bang as the air escaped the tin causing the couple in front of us to practically jump out of their seats at the fake gunshot. There wasn't even a gunshot in the film so I quickly stashed the can under the seat while my girlfriend could hardly contain her laughter beside me.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

An Enigma Among Humans

Tim Burton's 9.

8/10

The King of All

The Lone Ranger: 4/10

This movie was not good. Nothing except for the visual FX was good either. The pacing, story, tone, music, acting, directing, were all awful. The story was really weak to me and dragged on way longer than it should have. I would've given this movie a lower score if it hadn't been the phenomenal train sequence in the end that really showed the technical power that the movie had. Despite that, Lone Ranger was still a less than mediocre film.

Cannibal Holocaust
I haven't finished it yet, but I will sometime later I suppose.
As of right now... it's about a 5 or 6.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Saving Mr.Banks 4/5

It was an interesting movie. I was afraid that since the media campain was so huge it was to hide the fact that the movie was just really bad. Suprise surprise it isn't. PL Travers (despite the appearance) is quite a likable woman in the end. And how Disney is portrayed is maybe a little too much goody goody but it is DISNEY who produced it so... Her story touched me. I read about it before the movie and it wasn't what I expected.

Overall. Worth paying 10 buck to see it. It's okay if you didn't see Mary Poppins priors, you will miss just little insight like the songs and the actors playing it. Though it is a very good idea to know what Mary Poppins look like and who she is.

Weirdly, no children in the room, just old people... They must all have been at the Frozen screening.
Please don't hit me...

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

If anyone's seen Anchorman 2, please post a review. I've seen the first one and really enjoyed it, and I want to know if the sequel is worth watching.

Would You Rather - 6/10

If a film comes on Netflix starring Jeffrey Combs, I WILL watch it. His character in this was great, a pretty horrible but not unfair bastard. The film itself was sufficiently gory, which is always nice.

Basically it's a bunch of people who are in desperate need for a lot of cash, one bloke wants to give it to just one person and invites them to his house for dinner, they then realise they have to play a dangerous game of would you rather until only one person survives.

Bonus - Crabman from My Name is Earl was in it <3

Apartment 1303 - 1/10

Terrible film AND no-one could act. Gets one point for having a good looking guy in it.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

The King of All

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues 9/10

Easily the FUNNIEST movie I've seen all year. I really think it lived up to the original. The plot is still generally the same thing, but the jokes are different and I laughed until I cried more times than I can count. The performances of the actors and actresses were great especially Ferrell as Burgundy and Carell as Brick, the latter stealing every scene he's in. This sequel is more silly and over the top than the original, but still captured the spirit. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

I saw it the other day. I'd give it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. The first half is great, but it gets kind of slow during the second half. Other than that, excellent film.

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:
I saw it the other day. I'd give it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. The first half is great, but it gets kind of slow during the second half. Other than that, excellent film.

That good to hear. I wanna watch it with my girlfriend especially since we both loved the 1st one. So good to know that's its worth watching.

Currently watching Smiley with my boyfriend. It's not doing so well with me. Not to mention the fact that Shane Dawson is in it. He's not the best pick for a horror movie role in my opinion. There are, I believe, at least three "YouTube Sensations" in it. I'm not entirely sure.

[Whip the cream!]

I saw Rude Boy with my sibling. I've seen it before, it was... bloody hell, I didn't think it was such a long time ago, but when I saw my rating at a movie site I realized it was two years ago! And... the manuscript is rather dreadful, but at the same time, so bad it was entertaining, and the parts with The Clash are priceless, so even though it seems badly planned and B, I enjoy it quite a lot. It's hard as hell to rate, but I actually own the damn thing, so that says something... If it wasn't for me being a big fan of The Clash, I would probably think less of it. I'm damn biased. :sadshoe:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

The Crying Dead
2 / 10
It's pretty much a cheap version of Grave Encounters.

I saw The Hobbit because my friend bought it. I haven't been able to afford to go to the cinema... I liked it. :D

Gettin' Old!

The Hobbit 2: Hobbit Harder The Desolation of Smaug 6/10

Spoiler: It's hard to talk about the problems with it without spoiling it.
Man I'm getting pretty tired of all this LOTR in my Hobbit. The director doesn't seem confident that the Hobbit can stand alone on it's own it seems. Which is why there's loads of connections to LOTR, they just can't leave them alone. Gratuitous amounts of Legolas just everywhere. Sauron is apparently just walking around...blowing stuff up. They just padded it out so much, at this point I think they are playing too much to expectations. People see a film connected to LOTR and expect it to be 3 hours, but this film didn't need to be 3 hours, it could have been a regular length film on the contents of the book alone. There was no big battle inside Mount Erebor, Smaug never even saw the other dwarves, there was no guerilla orcs attacking elven outposts, hell there was no chase at all. Bilbo and the Dwarves escaped in the barrels undetected with the lids on them and no one bats an eyelid, except the Elven King but he never gets screentime again. The party was never split so we don't get these weird cuts between Erebor, Laketown and Dol Gulduur (there was nothing about Dol Gulduur either) there was no stupid home alone sequences as the Orcs attack Laketown. Worst of all, there was no really...REALLY dumb semi-romances between Elven NPCs and the Dwarves. Nothing at all. They padded it so much but it all feels really unnecessary, I think they are just ticking boxes for referencing Gollum, referencing LOTR, getting your money's worth out of Orlando Bloom, having fight scenes and generally padding it out so the film time lasts as long as a LOTR film 'should'.

Though in the end I was with good company, and some of the jokes were quite entertaining and I like the source material so I can't complain too much but I just felt it was so....serious and high-strung compared to the actual events of the book. Less adventure more gritty LOTR battles.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:

Man I'm getting pretty tired of all this LOTR in my Hobbit. The director doesn't seem confident that the Hobbit can stand alone on it's own it seems. Which is why there's loads of connections to LOTR, they just can't leave them alone. Gratuitous amounts of Legolas just everywhere. Sauron is apparently just walking around...blowing stuff up. They just padded it out so much, at this point I think they are playing too much to expectations. People see a film connected to LOTR and expect it to be 3 hours, but this film didn't need to be 3 hours, it could have been a regular length film on the contents of the book alone. There was no big battle inside Mount Erebor, Smaug never even saw the other dwarves, there was no guerilla orcs attacking elven outposts, hell there was no chase at all. Bilbo and the Dwarves escaped in the barrels undetected with the lids on them and no one bats an eyelid, except the Elven King but he never gets screentime again. The party was never split so we don't get these weird cuts between Erebor, Laketown and Dol Gulduur (there was nothing about Dol Gulduur either) there was no stupid home alone sequences as the Orcs attack Laketown. Worst of all, there was no really...REALLY dumb semi-romances between Elven NPCs and the Dwarves. Nothing at all. They padded it so much but it all feels really unnecessary, I think they are just ticking boxes for referencing Gollum, referencing LOTR, getting your money's worth out of Orlando Bloom, having fight scenes and generally padding it out so the film time lasts as long as a LOTR film 'should'.

Though in the end I was with good company, and some of the jokes were quite entertaining and I like the source material so I can't complain too much but I just felt it was so....serious and high-strung compared to the actual events of the book. Less adventure more gritty LOTR battles.

With you on most of this.

Peter Jackson is trying to recreate his success, but he doesn't seem to grasp the tonal differences. The scenery and score are nice as usual, but it's not what I want from The Hobbit. (And Ed Sheeran would... not have been my first choice for the ending song. That seemed strange, to me.)

Spoiler: Spoiler-y Opinions
Smaug is an enormous baby in a dragon's shell. I can't take him seriously; something about him is hilarious to me. At the end, where he's flying and shouting ominous things to himself...? I AM FIRE. I AM.... DEATH... Yes, that's great, but. You do know no one can hear you... right? Does Smaug have self-esteem issues? Does he need to psyche himself up?

Legolas is unnecessary, yes, but he was still one of the best things about the movie for me. He's so young and such an asshole; it makes a great contrast to his later friendship with Gimli. I wish they'd done a similarly effective contrast with Saruman in the first movie, since they were going to put him in anyway.

I actually like Tauriel, too. The romance wasn't a central thing, I'm a sucker for weird interspecies romance, and Tolkien's works are very dated. If they have to stretch this out for so long, including a role model for younger girls is not the worst thing they could have done by far.

My least favourite thing, other than what you've mentioned - gratuitous battle sequences, the tedious orc subplot - was much pettier. I can't stand Martin Freeman's acting. Book Bilbo is likeable. Movie Bilbo seems either smugly self-satisfied or deeply irritated or... blank. There's no in-between. I cannot stand him. (Fortunately, with the weird way this movie was put together, I didn't have to watch him all that much. Despite him being, you know. The main character and all.)

Even worse: where's all the singing? I have never appreciated the cartoon as much as I do now. I just want lighthearted adventuring and singing and whimsical things. I want Beorn's waiter dogs. I waited for so long, and it was all in vain. Is that really so much to ask?

It's not... a bad movie, but I don't think I'll be rewatching it any time soon. Why bother when reading the book takes a fraction of the time, and the LotR movies are so much better?

Gettin' Old!

Coyote wrote:
Pierre wrote:

With you on most of this.

Peter Jackson is trying to recreate his success, but he doesn't seem to grasp the tonal differences. The scenery and score are nice as usual, but it's not what I want from The Hobbit. (And Ed Sheeran would... not have been my first choice for the ending song. That seemed strange, to me.)

Spoiler: Spoiler-y Opinions
Smaug is an enormous baby in a dragon's shell. I can't take him seriously; something about him is hilarious to me. At the end, where he's flying and shouting ominous things to himself...? I AM FIRE. I AM.... DEATH... Yes, that's great, but. You do know no one can hear you... right? Does Smaug have self-esteem issues? Does he need to psyche himself up?

Legolas is unnecessary, yes, but he was still one of the best things about the movie for me. He's so young and such an asshole; it makes a great contrast to his later friendship with Gimli. I wish they'd done a similarly effective contrast with Saruman in the first movie, since they were going to put him in anyway.

I actually like Tauriel, too. The romance wasn't a central thing, I'm a sucker for weird interspecies romance, and Tolkien's works are very dated. If they have to stretch this out for so long, including a role model for younger girls is not the worst thing they could have done by far.

My least favourite thing, other than what you've mentioned - gratuitous battle sequences, the tedious orc subplot - was much pettier. I can't stand Martin Freeman's acting. Book Bilbo is likeable. Movie Bilbo seems either smugly self-satisfied or deeply irritated or... blank. There's no in-between. I cannot stand him. (Fortunately, with the weird way this movie was put together, I didn't have to watch him all that much. Despite him being, you know. The main character and all.)

Even worse: where's all the singing? I have never appreciated the cartoon as much as I do now. I just want lighthearted adventuring and singing and whimsical things. I want Beorn's waiter dogs. I waited for so long, and it was all in vain. Is that really so much to ask?

It's not... a bad movie, but I don't think I'll be rewatching it any time soon. Why bother when reading the book takes a fraction of the time, and the LotR movies are so much better?

Spoiler: In reply
Smaug bothered me too...for some reason I thought he was meant to be this great wise intelligent creature, he knows the true nature of dwarves and hints that Thorin is completely nuts for treasure yet he falls for basic dwarven taunts?

I suppose Tauriel wasn't bad, but it's the fact she's part of the 'padding' and is PURELY padding that makes her annoying to me.

Best thing for me? Seeing a photo of ickle Gimli :kristoph:

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Evil Dead (2013)
Terrible. It can't even be rated. It was more comical than "scary". At least it didn't have any sex scenes in it. That's a plus.

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)
Terrible. It can't even be rated. It was more comical than "scary". At least it didn't have any sex scenes in it. That's a plus.

I never did understand the idea behind putting a sex scene into a horror genre.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)

C-A

I'm sure there's some film studies answer that makes sense, especially since there's a whole sub-genre about this now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

CatMuto wrote:
Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)

C-A

Appeal to the audience maybe? I just think it's unnecessary. "Our friend was murdered and the killer is still around here. Let's have sex. Killers don't kill people having sex." That was obviously sarcastic, but you get the gist.

A horror film without sex is like a horror film without horror.

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)

There..... there is a remake? :beef: I'm so upset but I also really want to watch it now.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

But it makes no sense to have sex in a horror genre. A horror genre is supposed to scare us, not arouse us or whatever the hell a sex scene is supposed to make us feel.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
But it makes no sense to have sex in a horror genre. A horror genre is supposed to scare us, not arouse us or whatever the hell a sex scene is supposed to make us feel.

C-A

It's the one thing I'll never understand.

Louise wrote:

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)

There..... there is a remake? :beef: I'm so upset but I also really want to watch it now.

Don't waste your time on it. :eh?:

Louise wrote:

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Evil Dead (2013)

Watch it only if your in the mood for a shitty remake and looking for a laugh xD

The King of All

Really? I haven't seen it, but I'd expect it to be better than Paranormal Activity. :yogi:

Gettin' Old!

Deadpool 9 wrote:
Really? I haven't seen it, but I'd expect it to be better than Paranormal Activity. :yogi:

I didn't think Paranormal activity was all that bad :ron: make me give the doorway funny looks when lying in bed at night for a while.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 33 of 41 [ 1610 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios